Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I forgot my last post's tags too...gosh darn it. Well it's mostly just for @AnimeLover_Princess at this point, since Naia went all recluse on us. Maybe @chaosheart13 to a lesser extent.

@Roose Hurro

Ah, it's not that (or, at least it shouldn't be, I think?)
School's been a drag (COUGHCOUGH10HOURSADAYCOUGHCOUGH), so really I just haven't had the time to come up with an IC post yet. But hopefully it will happen soon Thursday?

:bananaman:

As for school... so glad I graduated from college in '89. Never did care for homework. Learned far more on my own. Bookworming really helps in that regard. And they hold you for ten hours nowadays? Sounds like I had it easy.

@RecentlyInsaneRussian @chaosheart13 The both of you have some lonesome characters (August and Ishika) who aren't actually interacting with any other PC. I'd recommend twisting circumstance a little bit to get 'em into another group (or even each other). It is around breakfast time IC, so a sudden burst of hunger would be a good excuse.

• Thank You
Reactions: Kagayours
I will post with Ishika, but I doubt that I will interact with the large group since my other character is there. @Luma Ishika is my character.

On the non-RP stuff. MISC a writing contests is currently in Voting Phase. You can find the link in my signature! Support creativity by voting!

I will post with Ishika, but I doubt that I will interact with the large group since my other character is there. @Luma Ishika is my character.

On the non-RP stuff. MISC a writing contests is currently in Voting Phase. You can find the link in my signature! Support creativity by voting!
Gosh darn it! I am officially the worst ping'er imaginable...I had you in my mind, but somehow I ended up pinging Chaos instead. Sorry about that; guess I'm confusing the two players with double-characters. Well you read it, so no harm done I guess (except spamming poor chaosheart xD).

@RecentlyInsaneRussian @chaosheart13 The both of you have some lonesome characters (August and Ishika) who aren't actually interacting with any other PC. I'd recommend twisting circumstance a little bit to get 'em into another group (or even each other). It is around breakfast time IC, so a sudden burst of hunger would be a good excuse.
...Neither of them are my characters though? I think you confused me with someone else.

EDIT: Welp, ninja'd

Reactions: Luma
Posted!
Phew, that was a bit more awkwardly-written than intended- hopefully it doesn't seem too weird.

On another note, @Roose Hurro , what is that Omni Bit thingymabobber? (Or, if you're gonna explain it IC, that's fine too >.<)

I'll be posting in the morning... *evil laugh as I walk away* Be afraid. Be very afraid XD

Posted!
Phew, that was a bit more awkwardly-written than intended- hopefully it doesn't seem too weird.

On another note, @Roose Hurro , what is that Omni Bit thingymabobber? (Or, if you're gonna explain it IC, that's fine too >.<)

-------

omni-
combining form
prefix: omni-
  1. all; of all things.
    "omniscient"
    • in all ways or places.
      "omnicompetent"
Origin
from Latin omnis 'all.'

-------

Basically, an "Omni" Bit is a nano-quantum-tech device capable of "all things." Of course, the more Omni Bits you have, the more you can do, but even one Bit can be quite useful, able to manipulate quantum-tensor fields. And Deen is in the habit of carrying three, at minimum, with a whole toolbox full on the other side of Threshhold, in his own little hammerspace pocket. Being in his teen years, he's only been playing with them for the last few decades, so he's still finding uses for them. After all, they are a very useful, fun to play with tool. Able to manipulate matter/energy, merge/link tech and biology (amongst other things). And in the case of this "sharing moment", able to serve as a sensory link between Deen and Viviana, so she can share/simulate his sensory abilities. Will provide further details IC...

Oh, forgot something important for here: Viviana, if she accepts, will be able to perceive all chi/life energy within a one-hundred mile radius.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raven Haruka
Awesome! I actually just finished one and forgot to find out first if you were accepting them XD Give me a couple of minutes and I'll post it for review!

[BCOLOR=transparent]Name Singular: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Shapeshifter[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Name Plural:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Shapeshifters[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Nickname:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] 'Shifter (s), 'shifters (p)[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Lifespan:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] 80-100 years[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Powers/Abilities:[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Shapeshifting:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] A shapeshifter can shift between their human form (the one they are born with) into the form of an animal. If healthy, a shapeshifter can 'shift between forms with ease and very little drain on their energy. [/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Animal Instincts:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Based on their animal forms, 'shifters will take on those instincts. A magpie 'shifter might collect shiny objects, a bear 'shifter will prefer to be left alone, or a horse 'shifter likes to be surrounded by close friends and family.[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Animal Aura:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Animals can sense a shapeshifter's animal form. This means that prey animals will react negatively to the presence of a predator 'shifter, and predators will treat prey 'shifters like prey.[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Creature Speak:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] In human form, they can converse with animals that match their animal form (i.e. a housecat 'shifter can converse with housecats, but not big cats such as tigers; dog 'shifters can do the same with dogs, but not wolves or other canines) and 'shifters that are in their animal form. In animal form, they can converse with animals that match their animal form and 'shifters that are in their human or animal form.[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Enhanced Senses:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] 'Shifters have naturally a naturally heightened sense of smell, sight, and hearing than humans.[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Enhanced Healing:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] When shapeshifting between their forms, all injuries become partially healed. For example, a life-threatening wound can become treatable if a 'shifter can 'shift into their other form, even if it's just once. This takes a lot of energy out of the 'shifter, however, and they cannot regrow missing body parts. Even without shapeshifting, a shifter's body will naturally heal quicker than a human's body.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Weaknesses:[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Silver[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]: For reasons lost to time, pure silver can burn a 'shifter if it touches them or poison them if ingested. Silver that is impure causes a rash.[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Animal Instincts:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] If a shapeshifter is emotionally compromised or spends too much time in their animal form, they will start to become 'feral'. They lose their human minds and start to act like true animals.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Physical Description:[/BCOLOR]

• [BCOLOR=transparent]Human Form:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] The appearance of shapeshifters are wildly varied depending not only on the shapeshifter's heritage, but also the animal that it can 'shift into. For example, avian 'shifters tend to be shorter than the average human height and are built lighter. A leopard 'shifter will be have a more muscular build and be shorter than a cheetah 'shifter, who is built like a runner. The eye color of a shapeshifter can range from normal human eye color to the eye color of their animal form.[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Animal Form:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] When in their animal form, 'shifters are indistinguishable in appearance from other animals.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Cultural Description:[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Shapeshifters are widespread and generally unconnected with one another, which leads to 'shifters being influenced by whatever human culture they grew up in. 'Shifter families tend to prefer being by themselves and will rarely interact with humans or other cultures. Orphaned shapeshifters are often taken in by another 'shifter, even if the orphan and the adopter are only together until the orphan has grown up.[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Even among 'shifters, there is prejudice. Avian and reptilian shapeshifters are usually seen as inferior compared to the much more widespread mammalian shapeshifters, though all 'shifters find humans to be beneath them. 'Shifters that have gone feral are seen as dangers. The hunt to kill them tends to be the only thing to unite otherwise antagonistic 'shifters.[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Prey 'shifters and predator 'shifters have a natural hatred for one another that can be overcome with effort, though few attempt to become friends.[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Because of their negative attitude towards humans and a preference for the company of other shapeshifter, rarely do humans know about the existence of 'shifters. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Realm:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Earth[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Other:[/BCOLOR]

• [BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]The first shapeshifter was a human with a genetic mutation. It was so rare that she met only one other shapeshifter during her lifetime, though now-a-days the 'shifter gene has started to show more, especially in families where the parents are both 'shifters.[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Most shapeshifter families (the ones that have been shapeshifters for several generations) will abandon a human baby, regardless of the fact that the human has an increased chance of conceiving a 'shifter child.[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]'Shifters usually take the form of mammals, though it isn't uncommon to see avian 'shifters. It is rare for there to be a reptilian 'shifter. There is no record of invertebrate, fish, or amphibious 'shifters. It is possible but so improbable for them to exist that they have become myths in shapeshifter society.[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Until the age of 10, a 'shifter might 'shift into several different animal forms before settling on a single one. It is impossible for a 'shifter to change their animal form once they have settled. The form of a shapeshifter can be influenced by their family since families tend to have similar forms.[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Even in animal form, a shapeshifter keeps its human mind.[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]
  • Shapeshifters must be born. They cannot be created any other way.

[BCOLOR=transparent]Short description:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] A race that is barely separated from humans because of a random genetic mutation that gives them the ability to shapeshift into an animal. The animal form is usually a mammal, but it is not uncommon to see an avian shapeshifter.[/BCOLOR]

@Sail ...

It doesn't seem like you read my post... I was hoping, given Shirt is an NPC, you would take over interacting with her (in the intended comedic fashion), but you seem to not be interested. I can't remember who made the comment... may have been Luma... that we'd just started a "prank war". I liked that idea, and was trying to run with it. After all, the whole premise for this RP revolves around character interaction. Between PCs, and PCs with NPCs.

Heh... been enjoying this whole back and forth, and though (sorry) I forgot to have Deen respond to Nightshade's "kisser" comment, Deen will remember. And I already have ideas for how Deen will respond to Nightshade's present antics, even though you haven't responded to Shirt. Also, one other thing: Nightshade shouldn't keep running back to Room 514... would be nice for him to stay and interact with everybody else present, rather than "waiting for Deen". At present, Deen is not in Room 514. And Nightshade's back and forth hasn't left much room for interaction between our characters (I haven't had opportunity to start any inter-character conversation between our characters, so far). So, come on, Sail! Bring Nightshade out, and have fun!

Heh... also seeing how this "prank war" could either lead to Nightshade and Deen ending up best friends, or to Nightshade becoming....... well, I'd leave that up to you. He's your character.

[BCOLOR=transparent]Enhanced Senses:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] 'Shifters have naturally a naturally heightened sense of smell, sight, and hearing than humans.[/BCOLOR]
Is this consistent among all shifters? Or are the enhanced senses dependent on their animal species -- like, the shifter of an animal that's known for its sharp eyesight but not for its other senses would excel in the sight department, but not others?

[BCOLOR=transparent]Weaknesses:[/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent]Silver[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]:[/BCOLOR]
Haha. I thought of a totally different kind of silver when I read this at first and thought you were trying to imply something completely different. Hahahahahah. Ignore me.

Orphaned shapeshifters are often taken in by another 'shifter, even if the orphan and the adopter are only together until the orphan has grown up.
Ehh. If a shapeshifter is orphaned, how would other shifters know how to find it? Also, how would shifter infants (or simply young children) be recognizable as shifters? And what's to stop an orphaned shifter from being mistaken for a human and taken into a human orphanage?

Even among 'shifters, there is prejudice. Avian and reptilian shapeshifters are usually seen as inferior compared to the much more widespread mammalian shapeshifters, though all 'shifters find humans to be beneath them. 'Shifters that have gone feral are seen as dangers. The hunt to kill them tends to be the only thing to unite otherwise antagonistic 'shifters.
You said that shifters generally live unconnected from each other, though, and that their culture is mainly that of the human culture that they grew up in. I'm just confused as to how prejudice like this can exist if there aren't, say, clear societal groups of mammalian shifters and reptilian shifters... I mean, one could argue that shifters just naturally act prejudiced against shifters that aren't like them, but I feel like that would be a bit more of a two-way street than just saying that avians and reptilians are generally seen as being inferior to mammals.

Prey 'shifters and predator 'shifters have a natural hatred for one another that can be overcome with effort, though few attempt to become friends.
[Zootopia reference restrained]

Because of their negative attitude towards humans and a preference for the company of other shapeshifter, rarely do humans know about the existence of 'shifters.
You say this as if it isn't a requirement for any race in the RP. o.o So uh... just wanted to clarify... in this universe, humans shouldn't normally know about magic in general.

You technically didn't do anything wrong here, so you don't have to edit this part, but uh, yeah, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page about that -- as normally this sort of thing would go without saying.

• [BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]The first shapeshifter was a human with a genetic mutation. It was so rare that she met only one other shapeshifter during her lifetime, though now-a-days the 'shifter gene has started to show more, especially in families where the parents are both 'shifters.[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]
  • [BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Most shapeshifter families (the ones that have been shapeshifters for several generations) will abandon a human baby, regardless of the fact that the human has an increased chance of conceiving a 'shifter child.[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]
Uhhh.

This also makes it sound like you were unaware of the "humans don't know about magic" thing, although maybe it's just the wording of it...

Also, now that I think about it, I'm not sure how anyone would even know that the shifter ability is passed down through genes -- since, if normal humans don't know about magic (or things resembling magic), then neither would the scientific community, so I don't know how such a thing could even be researched. I guess you could say it was assumed to be a gene mutation since it seems to be hereditary, but, meh -- you can have a magic thingy get passed down from parents to children without needing to tie it to genetics. The fact that it seems to crop up randomly in children with two human parents fairly often also leans more towards a magical explanation than a genetic one...

Actually, now that I think about it -- what happens to shifters who are born to human parents? How are they supposed to stay hidden? Your description implies that all shifters started out as having been born to human parents with a "random gene mutation" before the shfiters' numbers were high enough that they could seek each other out and start families of their own. So... how does all that work? How were shifters able to remain hidden all this time? ...And, again, how are shifters able to find each other, besides?

Overall, I like this race a lot -- but there are a few major hangups that need to be addressed. o_o

I realized a lot of the points you brought up after I had posted it >.< Sorry. I'll work on adjusting everything so that it actually fits

Name Singular: Shapeshifter
Name Plural: Shapeshifters
Nickname: 'Shifter (s), 'shifters (p)
Lifespan: 80-100 years

Powers/Abilities:
  • Shapeshifting: A shapeshifter can shift between their human form (the one they are born with) into the form of an animal. If healthy, a shapeshifter can 'shift between forms with ease and very little drain on their energy.
  • Animal Instincts: Based on their animal forms, 'shifters will take on those instincts. A magpie 'shifter might collect shiny objects, a bear 'shifter will prefer to be left alone, or a horse 'shifter likes to be surrounded by close friends and family.
  • Animal Aura: Animals can sense a shapeshifter's animal form. This means that prey animals will react negatively to the presence of a predator 'shifter, and predators will treat prey 'shifters like prey.
  • Creature Speak: In human form, they can converse with animals that match their animal form (i.e. a housecat 'shifter can converse with housecats, but not big cats such as tigers; dog 'shifters can do the same with dogs, but not wolves or other canines) and 'shifters that are in their animal form. In animal form, they can converse with animals that match their animal form and 'shifters that are in their human or animal form.
  • Enhanced Senses: 'Shifters have naturally a naturally heightened sense of smell, sight, and hearing than humans depending on their animal form. (i.e. a wolf 'shifter would have a better sense of smell and hearing than an eagle 'shifter, yet the eagle 'shifter would have better eyesight)
  • Enhanced Healing: When shapeshifting between their forms, all injuries become partially healed. For example, a life-threatening wound can become treatable if a 'shifter can 'shift into their other form, even if it's just once. This takes a lot of energy out of the 'shifter, however, and they cannot regrow missing body parts. Even without shapeshifting, a shifter's body will naturally heal quicker than a human's body.
Weaknesses:
  • Silver: For reasons lost to time, pure silver can burn a 'shifter if it touches them or poison them if ingested. Silver that is impure causes a rash.
  • Animal Instincts: If a shapeshifter is emotionally compromised or spends too much time in their animal form, they will start to become 'feral'. They lose their human minds and start to act like true animals.

Physical Description:
  • Human Form: The appearance of shapeshifters are wildly varied depending not only on the shapeshifter's heritage, but also the animal that it can 'shift into. For example, avian 'shifters tend to be shorter than the average human height and are built lighter. A leopard 'shifter will be have a more muscular build and be shorter than a cheetah 'shifter, who is built like a runner. The eye color of a shapeshifter can range from normal human eye color to the eye color of their animal form.
  • Animal Form: When in their animal form, 'shifters are indistinguishable in appearance from other animals.
Cultural Description:
  • Shapeshifters are widespread and generally unconnected with one another, which leads to 'shifters being influenced by whatever human culture they grew up near. However, 'shifter families tend to prefer being by themselves and will rarely interact with humans or other cultures.
  • All 'shifters find humans to be beneath them, and 'shifters that have gone feral are considered embarrassing for giving into their baser instincts. If a 'shifter is found to have gone feral, other 'shifters will hunt them down to kill them. The hunt tends to be the only thing to unite groups of 'shifters that otherwise would have stayed away from one another.
  • Prey 'shifters and predator 'shifters have a natural hatred for one another that can be overcome with effort, though few attempt to become friends.
Realm: Earth
Other:
  • 'Shifters usually take the form of mammals, though it isn't uncommon to see avian 'shifters. It is rare for there to be a reptilian 'shifter. There is no record of invertebrate, fish, or amphibious 'shifters. It is possible but very improbable for them to exist.
  • Until the age of 10, a 'shifter might 'shift into several different animal forms before settling on a single one. It is impossible for a 'shifter to change their animal form once they have settled. The form of a shapeshifter can be influenced by their family since families tend to have similar forms.
  • The animal form of a 'shifter grows with the human form. A child who hasn't settled will 'shift into a foal, pup, or other young animal. Once settled, the animal form is in the adolescent stage until the 'shifter turns 15, the age of maturity for 'shifters.
  • Even in animal form, a shapeshifter keeps its human mind.

Short description: A humanoid race with the ability to shapeshift into an animal. The animal form is usually a mammal, but bird or reptile forms are also possible.

Is there anything else that I might have missed, or need to change?

Last edited by a moderator:
Name Singular: Shapeshifter
Name Plural: Shapeshifters
Nickname: 'Shifter (s), 'shifters (p)
Lifespan: 80-100 years

Powers/Abilities:
  • Shapeshifting: A shapeshifter can shift between their human form (the one they are born with) into the form of an animal. If healthy, a shapeshifter can 'shift between forms with ease and very little drain on their energy.
  • Animal Instincts: Based on their animal forms, 'shifters will take on those instincts. A magpie 'shifter might collect shiny objects, a bear 'shifter will prefer to be left alone, or a horse 'shifter likes to be surrounded by close friends and family.
  • Animal Aura: Animals can sense a shapeshifter's animal form. This means that prey animals will react negatively to the presence of a predator 'shifter, and predators will treat prey 'shifters like prey.
  • Creature Speak: In human form, they can converse with animals that match their animal form (i.e. a housecat 'shifter can converse with housecats, but not big cats such as tigers; dog 'shifters can do the same with dogs, but not wolves or other canines) and 'shifters that are in their animal form. In animal form, they can converse with animals that match their animal form and 'shifters that are in their human or animal form.
  • Enhanced Senses: 'Shifters have naturally a naturally heightened sense of smell, sight, and hearing than humans depending on their animal form. (i.e. a wolf 'shifter would have a better sense of smell and hearing than an eagle 'shifter, yet the eagle 'shifter would have better eyesight)
  • Enhanced Healing: When shapeshifting between their forms, all injuries become partially healed. For example, a life-threatening wound can become treatable if a 'shifter can 'shift into their other form, even if it's just once. This takes a lot of energy out of the 'shifter, however, and they cannot regrow missing body parts. Even without shapeshifting, a shifter's body will naturally heal quicker than a human's body.
Weaknesses:
  • Silver: For reasons lost to time, pure silver can burn a 'shifter if it touches them or poison them if ingested. Silver that is impure causes a rash.
  • Animal Instincts: If a shapeshifter is emotionally compromised or spends too much time in their animal form, they will start to become 'feral'. They lose their human minds and start to act like true animals.

Physical Description:
  • Human Form: The appearance of shapeshifters are wildly varied depending not only on the shapeshifter's heritage, but also the animal that it can 'shift into. For example, avian 'shifters tend to be shorter than the average human height and are built lighter. A leopard 'shifter will be have a more muscular build and be shorter than a cheetah 'shifter, who is built like a runner. The eye color of a shapeshifter can range from normal human eye color to the eye color of their animal form.
  • Animal Form: When in their animal form, 'shifters are indistinguishable in appearance from other animals.
Cultural Description:
  • Shapeshifters are widespread and generally unconnected with one another, which leads to 'shifters being influenced by whatever human culture they grew up near. However, 'shifter families tend to prefer being by themselves and will rarely interact with humans or other cultures.
  • All 'shifters find humans to be beneath them, and 'shifters that have gone feral are considered embarrassing for giving into their baser instincts. If a 'shifter is found to have gone feral, other 'shifters will hunt them down to kill them. The hunt tends to be the only thing to unite groups of 'shifters that otherwise would have stayed away from one another.
  • Prey 'shifters and predator 'shifters have a natural hatred for one another that can be overcome with effort, though few attempt to become friends.
Realm: Earth
Other:
  • 'Shifters usually take the form of mammals, though it isn't uncommon to see avian 'shifters. It is rare for there to be a reptilian 'shifter. There is no record of invertebrate, fish, or amphibious 'shifters. It is possible but very improbable for them to exist.
  • Until the age of 10, a 'shifter might 'shift into several different animal forms before settling on a single one. It is impossible for a 'shifter to change their animal form once they have settled. The form of a shapeshifter can be influenced by their family since families tend to have similar forms.
  • The animal form of a 'shifter grows with the human form. A child who hasn't settled will 'shift into a foal, pup, or other young animal. Once settled, the animal form is in the adolescent stage until the 'shifter turns 15, the age of maturity for 'shifters.
  • Even in animal form, a shapeshifter keeps its human mind.

Short description: A humanoid race with the ability to shapeshift into an animal. The animal form is usually a mammal, but it is not uncommon to see an avian shapeshifter.

Is there anything else that I might have missed, or need to change?
You might want to edit the short description to include some mention of reptiles, just so that anyone taking a brief look at the race list doesn't think that shapeshifters are completely limited to mammals and birds. o3o If you don't want it to be too wordy then you could just say, "the animal form is usually a mammal, but birds and reptiles are also possible" or something like that.

Other than that, though, this looks good! I'll add it to the race sheet once that one detail is taken care of. ^^

You might want to edit the short description to include some mention of reptiles, just so that anyone taking a brief look at the race list doesn't think that shapeshifters are completely limited to mammals and birds.
Got it! I went ahead and edited the above sheet instead of posting it again, if that's okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.