Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh. I didn't even realize that you planned on reserving that post for sheets and stuff. I assumed you had some GMly plans for it -- although I had no idea what that would be.

Still, though, let's try to avoid doing this in the future.

ALSO, since I saw that you tagged me in your edited post, I'd like to bring a few things to everyone's attention:
  1. Tagging people just straight-up doesn't work if it's edited in. o_o"" The system just doesn't send alerts out for tags that were edited in as opposed to being contained in the original post.
  2. I have a notice in my signature about how alerts about being tagged, in general, are not working for me right now. I'm just not receiving them. And, believe me, I've tried everything to fix it. I have personally consulted Diana about it, and she doesn't know what's going on, either. owo"" For now, just bear in mind that tagging me isn't super-reliable.
  3. If you make a new post on a thread like this, I will see it. The email notification system that I use is far more reliable than using only the alerts system. So, even tagging me in a new post here -- while harmless -- is honestly kind of pointless, since I can practically guarantee that I would've seen that post whether or not you tagged me. ...And, thanks to point #2, tagging wouldn't have helped you even if I did somehow miss the post. owo"

I am enlightened.

Power Types and Abilites: Untill a Mechani has chosen his power type he gains non of the following abilities.
I... think there may be a typo, and/or a syntax error in this sentence.

Did you mean to say, "when a Mechani has chosen his power type, he gains one of the following abilities"? That's the most I can make sense of, reading this.

Secondly,

Physical description: Each Individual mechani appears as he or she desires. (With the rough details given in the Mechani's Type entry above)
So... they're basically robots, though, right? What I'm getting from this is that they're sort of like robots that take on one of four 'styles', for lack of a better term, and can otherwise modify their appearances from there.

I hope I've got that right -- because, I dunno if there's something off about the description or if I'm just not quite with-it tonight, but I'm having a really hard time putting together a mental image of what a Mechani is supposed to look like. o_o

ALSO, now that I think about it, you're being really inconsistent with what exactly the singular and plural forms of Mechanus/Mechani are. You've used "Mechani" as the singular form quite a few times throughout the race sheet (which is why I also used the word that way, because I didn't even notice the discrepancy and just sort of ran with it), despite the fact that 'Mechani' is supposed to be the plural form. This isn't a huge issue, but it would be good to clear up to avoid confusion.

Cultural description: Mechani's Culture is very similar to humanity, however they have a much greater respect for the dead, as it is the dead who power their very way of life.
Ehhh... I feel like this just isn't enough. Can you maybe... paint a picture of Mechani life for me? I'm sorry that's not very specific, I just feel like this is too bare-bones to really get a feel for what they're supposed to be like. o_o

Realm: The Mechani realm (called Mechanum) is a realm like earth before humanity, wide expanses of green, huge forests, mighty feilds ect. and above it all flies the huge cities of the Mechani, yes the Mechani live in flying cities powered by their ancestors.
I think the very fact that this bolded part is little more than a footnote at the very end of the race sheet -- despite the fact that it feels like it should be really emphasized/clarified up-front -- sort of showcases why this feels bare-bones to me, despite the detail you went into with all the variant types.

Also, why are the Mechani traveling from their realm to earth? Is the existence of earth common knowledge among the Mechani? The thing about realms is that we kind of need to know how they fit into the overall multiverse, for lack of a better term. Realms like heaven and hell are easy ones because we all have a vague idea of what heaven and hell are supposed to be, and it's just up to the ambassador to clear up the details. But if you have a race that's just from another dimension, without that dimension having a clear purpose or connection to earth (such as serving as an afterlife, as in heaven/hell's case), then I'm going to need to know a lot more about how all of these things fit together. o_o"

;______; Kaga, I think you might be just as OCD as I am and I'm feeling stupidly happy about that! *hugs you*

Created With Reason: The Hive mind of the swarm decides when a new species is needed, and for what reason, and makes a species specificly to fulfil that reason. be it the cleaning of each individual birthing pod, or the immense living creature-ships that the Hive Mind uses as transport. Each species is specifically engineered to fulfil that role EXACTLY.

Ask to Task: in tandem with 'Created With Reason' the exact 'powers' of each creature in the swarm is made to be perfect at the task it is made for. for example a creature made to find out if specific food sources are viable would have a way of detecting and neutralising toxins and pathogens as well as a insatiable hunger and a desire to try new foods. while one made to discover new DNA to use would be very sociable and probably have the capability of exuding pheromones of some kind.
Oh, wait a minute... so... the Swarm isn't a combination of small beings acting as one? Because that's the image I had in my mind at first... So, is the Swarm a collective of seemingly unrelated beings that can exist any distance away from each other, but are all connected through a hive mind?

Having read 1.5 of your race sheets so far, my biggest suggestion to make is that you might want to move a lot of these 'powers' down onto some of the more general descriptive bits, so that it's easier to just explain what exactly your race is, rather than just trying to piece it together like this...

Also, what do you mean "birthing pods", or "immense living creature-ships"? Upon reading it the first time, I assumed that it would make more sense once I read the general physical/cultural descriptions, but...

Cultural description: The swarm exist to better the hive mind, and thus to better the swarm.

This tells me nothing. I really need more than this. Being vague is one thing, but when your race sheet brings up far more questions than it answers... well, that's a whole other issue.

ALSO

NKGATF6h.jpg

You have a lot of race sheets -- more than I would ordinarily allow a newbie to make right off the bat. I would say that the speed you were able to make them at shows promise, except these race sheets need a ton of work, so... yeah.

Not only do you have a lot of editing to do if you want any of these to be accepted (like, I'm sorry to sound rude, but... really, these need a lot more info), but, I'd also prefer if you just narrowed it down to one or two races to start with... That's not to say that you can't ever have more races. I just want to see that you can handle what you have before you go signing yourself up for more.

;______; Kaga, I think you might be just as OCD as I am and I'm feeling stupidly happy about that! *hugs you*
Actually, I'm not OCD. But I am ADHD -- and by that I mean I'm literally diagnosed with a mental disorder, rather than jokingly saying I have ADHD to imply that I'm hyper and quirky, as it really bothers me to see people do that, which is why I'm also not a big fan of using the word 'OCD' to mean 'perfectionist' or anything of the sort, as that really has nothing to do with how OCD actually works, and I feel like it undermines the struggles of people with real OCD and makes it harder for them to be taken seriously as this inaccurate use of the term is further perpetuated.

...I'm sorry, I don't know why I'm being so salty tonight. I'll try to dial it back. (But my feelings on everything I just typed are still accurate.)

Edit: AND NOT ONLY THAT, I also feel like I'm really not even being a perfectionist here. Like... I just want to be able to understand what everyone's races are, and other basic things about them. And I want to make sure everything is worded in a way that makes sense so that everyone else can understand all the race sheets, too. o_o"" I don't usually enforce any sort of strict quality standards on players, but this is an area where doing things well really counts.

Edit2: Also pls don't be scared off I'm sorry for snapping. ;_; Mental illness awareness is just a really big deal for me.

Man, I figured it would be cool since I wasn't actually leaving a WIP CS...

It's the same principle, though, and I have issues with it for the exact same reasons, hence why it's a no-go. :/

I'll try to remember to edit an addendum about that onto the rules list for clarification.

Oh, wait a minute... so... the Swarm isn't a combination of small beings acting as one? Because that's the image I had in my mind at first... So, is the Swarm a collective of seemingly unrelated beings that can exist any distance away from each other, but are all connected through a hive mind?
That'd be his third one. For the most part, I see most of these as being halfway between the conceptual stage and finished. They're there and they're interesting, but I totally wanna know more about their cultures. How do Mechani have children? What sort of goals does the hive mind of the Swarm prioritize? Etc.

Total Disintergration: the more Skilled Necris can disintegrate their form, or even the form of other creatures.
Reformation: Those that can use disintegration can also use Reformation, the act of reconstructing the disintegrated subjects. this can be used for high speed transport, cleaning, or getting around obsticals.
Please note for the above two powers: You cannot use this to kill people/creatures only as a form of movement or other such thing.

I mean... I feel like disintegrating someone and then never reforming them would still effectively kill them. o_o"" But... meh. If you don't ever plan on using this power for such a purpose, I'll let it slide.

Cultural description: There is no real 'culture' for the Necris, they integrate and live where they can.

Yeah, but... is there any society of Necris, or do they all just kind of live out on their own and not associate with anyone?

Also, what are their intelligence levels? How do they usually behave? Should I be expecting a Necris to be able to pass as a human, or should I expect something a bit more monstrous?

Also, now that I think about it, what do the Necris look like, when inhabiting a host? They inhabit dead things, so, should I basically be imagining a zombie? Or does the presence of Necroblack allow them to look a bit more... lively, for lack of a better term?

Overall, though, this CS is actually not that bad. It just needs clarification on some things. o_o I feel like this could be cleared up rather easily with a few edits.

That'd be his third one. For the most part, I see most of these as being halfway between the conceptual stage and finished. They're there and they're interesting, but I totally wanna know more about their cultures. How do Mechani have children? What sort of goals does the hive mind of the Swarm prioritize? Etc.

^ Echoing this because these are all good things to think about when fleshing out the 'culture' sections of the race sheets.

Although I'm starting to think that perhaps the 'cultural description' bit was not the best choice of words for this... >.<" Did you model this off of Altera, Luma? Because, well, Altera came with a 6-paragraph background on what 'culture' means, and Omnibus... doesn't, which may be the source of some of the confusion, here. o_o"

Oh, no, I actually do suffer from a mild form of OCD. It's not super serious, and mostly limited to patterns/colors, but I get genuinely anxious if I see something out of place from where I think it should be. I joke about it more often than not because that is exactly how I handle my own issues in regards to everything, but it's legit. My coworkers who know that I'm okay with turning it into a joke will do things like rearrange the slightest objects on my desk because they know as hard as I try to ignore it, eventually it'll drive me insane to the point where I have to put everything back in order. When we work at a shared desk, the first thing I always do is rearrange it to my preferred system. The sharpie has to be over on the right side. The stapler has to be pushed up against the desk divider and pulled right up against the edge of the desk. The calculator needs to be flush with the back corner, etc. If you hang something crooked on a bulletin board, I am physically incapable of not only going over to straighten it up, but I'll move it so that it's evenly spaced between anything around it. If my world isn't set up exactly where I want everything to be, I legit will feel a tightness in my chest after awhile because of it.

But, it oddly enough doesn't mean I'm a neat freak. My room is a clusterfuck, but I know where everything is so it's fine. There's a bunch of garbage on my coffee table right now that I probably won't deal with until later tonight. It's only when I have either set a pattern or I see a pre-existing pattern that gets messed up that it triggers my anxiety. It's the whole symmetry thing, basically. If there's no symmetry at all, cool. If it's perfectly symmetrical, cool. I can't have it falling somewhere in between or I freak out.

^ Echoing this because these are all good things to think about when fleshing out the 'culture' sections of the race sheets.

Although I'm starting to think that perhaps the 'cultural description' bit was not the best choice of words for this... >.<" Did you model this off of Altera, Luma? Because, well, Altera came with a 6-paragraph background on what 'culture' means, and Omnibus... doesn't, which may be the source of some of the confusion, here. o_o"
I think reproductive stuff would go more in the physical description field if it's added at all, actually.

I'm a bit confused, myself!

By culture do you mean how the race acts as a society, or...umm, something else?

I... think there may be a typo, and/or a syntax error in this sentence.

Did you mean to say, "when a Mechani has chosen his power type, he gains one of the following abilities"? That's the most I can make sense of, reading this.
Both, Untill a Mechani has picked his power type, he cannot use any of the abilites, and when he picks his power type he gains a single one, acording to his power type.
Secondly,

So... they're basically robots, though, right? What I'm getting from this is that they're sort of like robots that take on one of four 'styles', for lack of a better term, and can otherwise modify their appearances from there.

I hope I've got that right -- because, I dunno if there's something off about the description or if I'm just not quite with-it tonight, but I'm having a really hard time putting together a mental image of what a Mechani is supposed to look like. o_o
Basically robots yup.
ALSO, now that I think about it, you're being really inconsistent with what exactly the singular and plural forms of Mechanus/Mechani are. You've used "Mechani" as the singular form quite a few times throughout the race sheet (which is why I also used the word that way, because I didn't even notice the discrepancy and just sort of ran with it), despite the fact that 'Mechani' is supposed to be the plural form. This isn't a huge issue, but it would be good to clear up to avoid confusion.
as for inconsistencies, I'm really sorry. I have dyslexia, Its difficult for me to work with plural(ities)
Ehhh... I feel like this just isn't enough. Can you maybe... paint a picture of Mechani life for me? I'm sorry that's not very specific, I just feel like this is too bare-bones to really get a feel for what they're supposed to be like. o_o
Will do, I'll work on it, It was more of a 'this came with a pre-caviate from above' so I kept it short.
I think the very fact that this bolded part is little more than a footnote at the very end of the race sheet -- despite the fact that it feels like it should be really emphasized/clarified up-front -- sort of showcases why this feels bare-bones to me, despite the detail you went into with all the variant types.
It seemed the only place to put it so where do you suggest I put it?
Also, why are the Mechani traveling from their realm to earth? Is the existence of earth common knowledge among the Mechani? The thing about realms is that we kind of need to know how they fit into the overall multiverse, for lack of a better term. Realms like heaven and hell are easy ones because we all have a vague idea of what heaven and hell are supposed to be, and it's just up to the ambassador to clear up the details. But if you have a race that's just from another dimension, without that dimension having a clear purpose or connection to earth (such as serving as an afterlife, as in heaven/hell's case), then I'm going to need to know a lot more about how all of these things fit together. o_o"
fine by me! I'm happy to write more!

Cultural description: Mista culture is simple stuff. They live in loosely connected groups within the forests that they call home and borrow traits from those living in close vicinity. They will generally take on the language of the country they've taken up residence in, but they do have a personal language used for transmitting information without letting outsiders in on sensitive topics. On the subject of outsiders, Mista are mostly accepting of others provided they show respect for nature and their people. Those that would harm the forest or take advantage of the race's generosity typically meet very fierce opposition.
Do the Mista usually wear clothes? Also, do they have any other noteworthy physical traits besides being pink, rubbery humanoids (with sticky finger-pads)? For some reason I'm picturing them as being very frog-like, but I'm not sure if that was your intention or not.

Other: eggs
I'm honestly not sure if you just put this here as a joke or if you're actually trying to convey to me that the Mista reproduce by laying eggs. XD

In any case! Your race sheet looks pretty good so far. Once these few things are cleared up, I can add you to the list! ^^

The character sheet, yes. The race sheet was actually modeled after some TJA wiki articles though. I can't think of a better word for it myself, but if you think of one, edit away. Maybe society/mannerisms?

Oh, no, I actually do suffer from a mild form of OCD. It's not super serious, and mostly limited to patterns/colors, but I get genuinely anxious if I see something out of place from where I think it should be. I joke about it more often than not because that is exactly how I handle my own issues in regards to everything, but it's legit. My coworkers who know that I'm okay with turning it into a joke will do things like rearrange the slightest objects on my desk because they know as hard as I try to ignore it, eventually it'll drive me insane to the point where I have to put everything back in order. When we work at a shared desk, the first thing I always do is rearrange it to my preferred system. The sharpie has to be over on the right side. The stapler has to be pushed up against the desk divider and pulled right up against the edge of the desk. The calculator needs to be flush with the back corner, etc. If you hang something crooked on a bulletin board, I am physically incapable of not only going over to straighten it up, but I'll move it so that it's evenly spaced between anything around it. If my world isn't set up exactly where I want everything to be, I legit will feel a tightness in my chest after awhile because of it.

But, it oddly enough doesn't mean I'm a neat freak. My room is a clusterfuck, but I know where everything is so it's fine. There's a bunch of garbage on my coffee table right now that I probably won't deal with until later tonight. It's only when I have either set a pattern or I see a pre-existing pattern that gets messed up that it triggers my anxiety. It's the whole symmetry thing, basically. If there's no symmetry at all, cool. If it's perfectly symmetrical, cool. I can't have it falling somewhere in between or I freak out.
Oh, alright then. Sorry for snapping. The misconceptions about OCD are widespread enough that seemed far more likely that you were just misinformed. ^^" Sorry for making assumptions!

All that being said, though, I'm still not sure what my comments about people's race sheets have to do with OCD. XD

Do the Mista usually wear clothes? Also, do they have any other noteworthy physical traits besides being pink, rubbery humanoids (with sticky finger-pads)? For some reason I'm picturing them as being very frog-like, but I'm not sure if that was your intention or not.

I'm honestly not sure if you just put this here as a joke or if you're actually trying to convey to me that the Mista reproduce by laying eggs. XD

In any case! Your race sheet looks pretty good so far. Once these few things are cleared up, I can add you to the list! ^^
You'd be right to picture them as being froglike (this relates to your second thing because yes, they reproduce by spawning BUT THAT DIDN'T SEEM LIKE SOMETHING THAT SHOULD COME INTO PLAY). Except they only got normal length tongues and no SUPER JUMPS TO THE MOON. As for other physical traits, that's all they've got going on from the outside.

Ok, so having read what is wanted in in a race sheet I think there was a misunderatanding. While I have fully formed ideas and can expand on the sheets a immense amount (and will do) I resent being called a 'newbie' (mostly because I could drop some stupidly long stuff in here but am not going to force it in to the confines of a sheet like that, no offence). When the sheet has limits of 'a few sentences' I get the feeling that you want us to keep it short and sweet however as you've stated there is LOADS more I can do. so I am going to re-organize the sheet and expand on it. stay tuned for when I let you know when shit's done.

All that being said, though, I'm still not sure what my comments about people's race sheets have to do with OCD. XD
That is me intentionally using the commonly misunderstood version of it, lol. Just all your precise attention to the details and wanting things laid out a certain way, etc.

(As far as the real thing goes, tbh, I had to take a deep breath over the no separate CS thread because every other RP I've been in has had that, so that pattern of organization was set for me. This system is messing with my patterns so at first I was like, "Aahhhhh!!!" Lol! But then you guys cleared it up so now I'm like, "There'll be links to the sheets, brain. It'll be okay. Deal with it." Luckily I can make myself adjust if I really want to, which in this case I do, so it'll be all good!)

And we all have our salty days, so no worries. I'm a water off a duck sort of person. I just wanted to clarify that I'm not being an uneducated ass to OCD folks. I'm just poking fun at myself 'cause that's how I roll. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.