Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew I was forgoing something!

Because of having to consume the people she's known for over a decade (she was basically 15-16 when she moved to America, about 20 when she got the photographer's assistant position, and around 22 when she became a Devee and gained those original 6 followers), Viviana feels that if she were to gain new followers, it would be a betrayal to them. (Also, she doesn't want to have to deal with that type of loss again, so it's just easier to get rid of them before getting attached. It's pretty contradictory to her beliefs, but it's how she copes with it, I guess.)

It's also because of this reason that she tends to avoid making friends, because the guilt of basically cannibalizing her 'family' would just tear her apart. She has no qualms about knowing people- that just gives her the opportunity to use them. It's the getting attached part that she avoids like the plague.

(Thanks for bringing this up, by the way! I'll totally add this into my CS, but does this answer your question?)
Mmm, alright, that makes sense. Yeah, edit this into your CS and you should be fine.

Also, I can't help but wonder if perhaps there's some sort of relation between Devos and Synthos... =w=

CHARACTER SHEET

Name: Jane Rose

Age (actual): 16

Age (apparent): 16

Race: Human
Emoanime.png
imagesZJ8DZJFN.jpg Apperence: Jane has raven black hair; dark ,nearly black, brown eyes; always has headphones on; wears a black zip-up hoodie with the hood up at almost all times; wears any shirt that is a dark color; has red tips on her hair; wears a silver chain necklace with a onyx gem stone; wears black levi's jeans with a black chain that hangs from her jeans; always wears black combat boots.

History: travels everywhere and only stays where she seems fit, has lost both parents in a car crash 3 years back, can never stay in one school for a full year because of how many classes she skips for reading

Personality: Calm, quiet, observant, artistic, and is a loner

Other: is a quiet talker and will only tell you once so listen closely, always listens to her music on full volume, loves rock and any other music loud.

CHARACTER SHEET

Name: Jane Rose

Age (actual): 16

Age (apparent): 16

Race: Human
View attachment 116114
View attachment 116116 Apperence: Jane has raven black hair; dark ,nearly black, brown eyes; always has headphones on; wears a black zip-up hoodie with the hood up at almost all times; wears any shirt that is a dark color; has red tips on her hair; wears a silver chain necklace with a onyx gem stone; wears black levi's jeans with a black chain that hangs from her jeans; always wears black combat boots.

History: travels everywhere and only stays where she seems fit, has lost both parents in a car crash 3 years back, can never stay in one school for a full year because of how many classes she skips for reading

Personality: Calm, quiet, observant, artistic, and is a loner

Other: is a quiet talker and will only tell you once so listen closely, always listens to her music on full volume, loves rock and any other music loud.
...Normal humans aren't allowed at Omnibus. o_o

I'm sorry, but, have you read the first post of the OOC? I've tried to make the whole humans-don't-know-about-magic-and-aren't-allowed-at-Omnibus thing as clear as I possibly can... And, to be honest, this CS makes it look like you really don't understand the basic concept of this RP.

Name singular: Vori
Name plural: Vori

The Voris' defining trait is their incredible aptitude for learning. Their mind appears to have no limit as to what it can understand and exists as a collection of magic rather than a physical brain. In addition to the ordinary method of gaining information, they have another method of learning that is far more effective.

Digestion: a Vori's digestive system is magically linked with their mind. This allows them to not only extract required nutrition from eating almost anything, but learn about the object in it's entirely; from the conceptual level right down to the sub-atomic. It is common for a premature Vori to enjoy a good book this way.

Magic hunting: premature Vori are physically weaker than most sentient races. They tend to invent powers for themselves either through technology or hunting magic. Magic hunting involves either eating a magic object of some sort, or harvesting magic directly from an aura node, which is a short-lived collection of raw magic. Nodes are usually invisible, though a Vori's magically tuned eyes can see them as colorful energy flowing from a central point. These tend to form around areas with high concentrations of magical powers and are usually short lived; lasting only a few minutes. Vori have been known to run around with bizarre equipment resembling goggles, backpack radar, pocket-sized vacuum-like devices and other oddities.

Vori are immortal in terms of aging and are one of the oldest races known to exist. They tend to grow over several millennia, and their physical form grows to adulthood based on how much they know, rather than steadily over time.

Premature: Most Vori fall into this category. At 'birth' a Vori tends to become a young teenager of the race they were created from. As they grow in knowledge, their appearance changes, usually over the course of a thousand years, until they appear as young adults in their mid-twenties, at which point their apparent age peaks.

Maturity: a Vori may take tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of years to develop to full maturity. As a Vori learns and consumes more magic, they grow more powerful, until they eventually understand the universe at a higher level than normal. Left unchecked for this long, they can effectively become deities, though very few Vori ever live long enough to reach this point. It isn't uncommon for Vori to be hunted to keep them from reaching maturity, usually due to fear or disagreements.

Vori usually spend most of their time seeking to learn new things or hunting magic. Vori culture is very lax in terms of law, each individual being left to discover and learn morality themselves. Their law can be summed up by two of them meeting and fighting to the death because each one disagrees with the other. There are usually 10 Vori or less in any given realm, but magic hunting often brings Vori together to the same places. Aside from that, Vori culture is very scattered, as they usually move on after being in a realm for a century or so. Additionally, Vori are made of several races, each with their own unique culture and beliefs, which further add to their diversity.

Vori do not conceive children in the typical way. Instead, a Vori "opens their mind" and a member of another races meets their gaze; slowly replacing their physical brain with a magical one. This process is an extremely painful 10-minute experience for both parties, making these 'births' rare. Several other changes will also occur, mostly the magical integration of the digestive system, and an age reversal or acceleration if necessary. Depending on the subject, more drastic changes can occur (such as the creation of a digestive system if they lacked one). While the personality and memories are kept in tact, the new mind adds an extra level of curiosity.

Physical description: Vori appear similar to the race they were created from, though this is human more often then not. Their defining feature is usually their bright purple eyes. Bright in the literal sense that in the dark they appear to be self-illuminated, while not actually giving off any light themselves. Many consider them to be very elegant, though it's mostly in the eye of the beholder.

Realm: Vori are believed to have originated on Earth, as most of them seem to have been originally human. Additionally, humans have proved to be one of the most tenaciously curious races and are more likely than most to beg to become a Vori if carelessness allows one to discover a Vori's true nature.

Short description: This ageless, bright-purple-eyed race has a literal hunger for knowledge. Those that survive to learn long enough become deities.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Stray Shinku
while a Vori prefers to learn by consumption, a deeper sense of understanding can be achieved by imbuing an object with a cognition enchantment. The object is then known as a "cognition artifact." This links the artifact with the Vori's mind, allowing the Vori to know it in a way that goes beyond tradition comprehension. However, the artifact itself also begins to channel part of the Vori's mind. Thus, cognition artifacts become figurative blind-spots; emitting an aura that is immune to a mature Vori's near-omniscience. For this reason, Vori avoid their own artifacts by about a 50 ft radius, as being in this area would interfere with their understanding of reality. Being in the same area has almost the same effect as being really drunk. It isn't unheard of for swords or charms to be made from such an artifact.

Ok, so... hold on. The cognition enchantment is something that a Vori casts onto an object in order to learn more about it, yes? So what's this thing about how "it isn't unheard of for swords and charms to be made from such an artifact"? What do you mean by that? Are you trying to say that swords and charms commonly have these enchantments placed on them? Because that wouldn't make much sense -- given the fact that, as you said, being near a cognition artifact makes the Vori "drunk", which seems like it would sort of cut down on the effectiveness of something like a sword. Or are you saying that swords and charms are made out of cognition artifacts? Like, the existence of cognition artifacts allows a Vori to create swords and charms... somehow? Because, if it's the latter, I really don't understand that at all.

Secondly, how exactly is this cognition enchantment cast? If just one enchantment is enough to bring a Vori into "first-stage maturity", that implies that cognition enchantments are a bit more difficult to cast than just thinking about it and letting it happen (which was my first impression), so... yeah.

Also, you keep talking about Vori "developing powers". How? Where do these powers come from?

4 total cognition artifacts are necessary to reach second stage as a minimum. This assumes they are all placed correctly but, as with most learning, mistakes often result in a few more.

What do you mean placed "correctly"? What does the placement of an artifact have to do with anything?

It is, however, not impossible to kill a second-stage Vori, if one of their cognition artifacts is weaponized.

I officially don't understand cognition artifacts. At all. @_@

When Vori do decide to begin their path to maturity, they usually begin by gathering a mass of followers to guard their artifacts for them.

What's the point of "guarding" artifacts? If the object itself is destroyed, the artifact still exists, so...

Instead, a Vori will cast a powerful spell to convert a sentient being into a Vori; effectively destroying their physical brain and replacing it with a magical one with the same information. This process is considered one of the 10 most painful experiences one can go through in the universe.

I'm curious as to what the rest of that top 10 list looks like. You'll have to link me to the Buzzfeed article sometime.

I must say that I really loved the concept for this race when I started reading it -- literally consuming knowledge and all that. XD But basically every last detail about cognition artifacts is incredibly confusing to me. @_@ I feel like there needs to be a lot of clarification on how all that's supposed to work...

@Luma sorry I couldn't quote you to look at that race sheet. The whole highlight-and-quote-just-a-section-of-a-post thing doesn't work when you're highlighting part of what's inside a spoiler, apparently. >.> So I had to copy/paste and use normal quoting code...

Hey, so I'm going to tell this story as best I can on mobile.

My little brother dumped milk all over my computer. Which means it isn't working right now, because it is as previously mentioned

full of milk.

Thus, until i can get a new, unmilked computer, I'm not going to be able to post things with any respectable degree of quality.

Instead, I will tender my resignation. I plan on returning at a later date, but I don't know when this is going to be.

My hands already hurt from typing this on my iPhone, so that's going to be it from me for a while.

Hey, so I'm going to tell this story as best I can on mobile.

My little brother dumped milk all over my computer. Which means it isn't working right now, because it is as previously mentioned

full of milk.

Thus, until i can get a new, unmilked computer, I'm not going to be able to post things with any respectable degree of quality.

Instead, I will tender my resignation. I plan on returning at a later date, but I don't know when this is going to be.

My hands already hurt from typing this on my iPhone, so that's going to be it from me for a while.
@_@ Ouch... a soggy computer... I know how that is. >.<

Well, good luck with the computer thing and all. :/ You're welcome to return at a later time, but I can't guarantee that ambassadorship for dragons will still be available when/if you return. Still, if there is another ambassador who claims that race, you can always try to work out a sub-race if the other ambassador's vision isn't to your liking.

...Normal humans aren't allowed at Omnibus. o_o

I'm sorry, but, have you read the first post of the OOC? I've tried to make the whole humans-don't-know-about-magic-and-aren't-allowed-at-Omnibus thing as clear as I possibly can... And, to be honest, this CS makes it look like you really don't understand the basic concept of this RP.
oops I was typing so fast earlier that I forgot to add that Jane does a bit of witchcraft, my fault honestly :/

oops I was typing so fast earlier that I forgot to add that Jane does a bit of witchcraft, my fault honestly :/
Ehh... I still feel like you're going to need a bit more than "does a bit of witchcraft".

Like, witches would easily qualify as their own race, since you'd need to explain what the "rules" for witches are, even if they may technically count as humans. So... if that's the route you want to go, you're going to need to write up a race sheet for witches.

I'm sorry to see so many people go. I hope you can get the computer trouble sorted out, Eon.

Also yay, glad you like the concept at least. I visualize a Vori chewing on a textbook during class and it makes me laugh. I agree, the cognition stuff is hard to explain, and I honestly had some trouble writing it out (which evidently shows). The idea is that reality is a 'puzzle' they're trying to figure out. Actually, as long as we're using Dr. Who references...

Anyways, when I edit the race sheet, I can either rework the idea so it's less complicated or just scrap the ascension entirely. What sounds better to you?

Uh... in your race sheet, you said that sylphs have the same lifespans as humans. And while I realize that sylphs don't exactly age after reaching adulthood, and so it would be plausible for a sylph to have an actual age of, say, 70 or 80-something, while still having an apparent age of 18, having an actual age of 118 still definitely feels like it's pushing it for a plausible human age. According to Wikipedia, there have only ever been two people in all of recorded history who have lived to be older than 118. And there are zero people currently alive today who are older than 118 (with the oldest living person currently being 116).

Soooo if you want the Sylphs to have a "human-length" lifespan, you're going to have to shave off at least a couple of decades... o_o"

You may want to edit all those instances of "fae" to "sylph", in order to avoid confusion.

I thought you said that young sylphs don't have any distinguishing features to set them apart from normal humans... While Meela's adoptive parents may have been cool with it, I feel like questions would start to come up if it was normal for young sylphs to have such non-human features.

At any rate, though, these all look like fairly easy fixes. Everything else looks good. ^^

Edited my CS and changed the picture. I also edited a little bit of my race's physical description. I just added that their distinguisable features besides for the swirls that comes out when they accepted their heritage was their eyes.

Ehh... I still feel like you're going to need a bit more than "does a bit of witchcraft".

Like, witches would easily qualify as their own race, since you'd need to explain what the "rules" for witches are, even if they may technically count as humans. So... if that's the route you want to go, you're going to need to write up a race sheet for witches.
ok will do but that may take me a day to sort out :D

ok will do but that may take me a day to sort out :D
That's totally fine. I expect that people will take at least a day or two to write a race sheet, anyway. XD

The idea is that reality is a 'puzzle' they're trying to figure out. Actually, as long as we're using Dr. Who references...
...Wow. Apparently I remember almost nothing about this episode except for the whole "that's the New Who episode that brought back Sarah Jane and K-9" thing. And that bit where the Doctor's going on about "physics". You know the scene I'm talking about. *cough* Point is, apparently it's been quite a while since I've seen that one... >.>

Regardless! Even reading the Wiki article, I still don't understand how "reality being a puzzle to be solved" has anything to do with cognition artifacts and enchantments and drunkenness and weaponizing... it feels like every detail just makes this more confusing. I hate to give you so little to go off of, but I seriously have no idea how any of this works. >.<

Anyways, when I edit the race sheet, I can either rework the idea so it's less complicated or just scrap the ascension entirely. What sounds better to you?
That depends... by "ascension" do you mean "everything to do with cognition"? ...Because the whole ascension thing is just one part of a much larger concept that I seriously understand nothing about. @_@

Admittedly, scrapping everything about the cognition stuff would make things much easier, yes, but I don't want to be so limiting about it, especially if it's sort of central to the concept you were going for. I would greatly appreciate it if it was reworked and made less complicated, though. And, even then, you might need to make an extra field for it on the race sheet or something -- because having all of it spread out in bits probably didn't help with how confusing it was...

Meela is a very beautiful young sylph with a pair of sparkly pink eyes. She has silver hair with green and pink highlights that reaches her waist. She has a very buxom body and tends to flaunt herself. She stands at around 1.60 meters and weighs around 123 pounds.
You forgot to change this part to match the new picture.

Other than that, though, this looks good! It'll probably be acceptable once you change that one bit. ^^

You forgot to change this part to match the new picture.

Other than that, though, this looks good! It'll probably be acceptable once you change that one bit. ^^

Done!

Oh, uh sorry! I actually wasn't quite done fixing everything on my post. I had to go to sleep last night before I was done so that I could make it to work with enough sleep.. heh. I was planning on reposting it tonight though. Again sorry about that!

Here's the finished one if you wanted it here~

Name singular:
  • Synthos
  • Athys
Name plural:
  • Synthos
  • Athys
Powers/Abilities:
Synthos
  • To pass into different realms and to take over a new body
Athys
  • Phasing is the ability to pass through solid objects. It allows the Athys to pass through as many objects they are able to in a few minutes. They can continue phasing as long as they want when doing so intervals.
  • Invisibility is pretty self explanatory, but it only lasts for an hour at most.
  • These abilities can be used at the same time, but it takes much more effort to do so.
  • The retained ability will vary on the being the Synthos takes over.

Lifespan
Synthos:
  • Eons, though most don’t wait that long to find a new body
Athys:
  • They can live up to 200 years. Why they slip onto their new bodies, a bit of their Symthosian lifespan stays with them to allow their bodies to stay alive this long. Their bodies begin to decay around that time. That is the longest their borrowed body can sustain having a soul that isn’t the original.
  • Once a being becomes an Athys, they cease aging. They remain the same age of the body the day they became an Athys.

Full Description:
  • Synthos have no memory of who they were, or if they were even someone to begin with. Synthos are incomplete beings; they lack a complete soul to be exact. Mostly they are a collection of emotions, wandering through the Divide. The one thing that all the Synthos have is the desire to become a complete being and to be able to accomplish that, they have the ability to pass into one of the realms. Once in a realm, they are not able to return to the Divide but instead they are now able to try to become a complete being. They are often mistaken as ghosts or spirits, but are more like shadows. That movement in the corner of your eye or the shadow you thought you saw are more than likely the Synthos. For a Synthos to become a complete being they must find another that will accept them. These two beings must come to an agreement and from there a Synthos can take over the body of that other being. It’s not totally clear what happens after that, either the other being’s consciousness breaks up or they are absorbed into the consciousness of the Synthos. For a Synthos, their entire meaning of ‘life’ is to become a complete being. So once a Synthos takes over another being, they are no longer a Synthos.

• This new being is called Athys. Athys are not very common. It is not very often that there is a being willing to give up their body. But if they agree, an Athys is granted two powers; the first is to change into a phantom like form. In this form, Athys are able to pass through solid objects and become invisible. The second is a retained trait from the previous body’s host and their retained trait can become an extra power. There are limits to this retained power though; it’s not as strong as its original. Athys had the ability to see the Synthos, though they choose not to associate with them. Who the being was before does influence the Athys to an extent. Their new personality is mostly their own, but the knowledge, experiences, and feelings of who the being once was still live on inside the Athys. Athys have fragmented memories of when they were a Synthos; bits and pieces of their previous exsistance. They have a vague sense of their previous forms, but not much is known about by the Athys otherwise.

Physical description:
  • Synthos have no solid physical form. They are similar to a ghost or shadow.
  • Athys take on the form of whatever being they take over.
Cultural description:
  • The Synthos don’t have much of a culture. They are rather lonely creatures and don’t tend to socialize with each other.
  • Athys on the other hand as very social creatures, they tend to be rather out going; pretty much the opposite of their predecessors. Athys blend in rather well with regular society, regardless of the type of society. The knowledge they gain from the previous host helps in this.
Realm: The Divide is a space between the realms. It’s a place filled with pitch black darkness, but the light of the different realms guides those in the Divide. The Synthos are drawn to the realms because of this light.
Other:

Short description: A Synthos is a bodiless, soulless being that exists in the space between realms. Athys are the result of Synthos taking over the body of another and becoming a complete being.

Last edited:
Oh, uh sorry! I actually wasn't quite done fixing everything on my post. I had to go to sleep last night before I was done so that I could make it to work with enough sleep.. heh. I was planning on reposting it tonight though. Again sorry about that!

Here's the finished one if you wanted it here~
Oh! Whoops. Sorry for jumping the gun on that, then. XD I guess I'll edit this post onto the list instead of the other one.

Alrighty, reworked the Vori by completely removing the artifacts (honestly, they were just too confusing to be redeemable). Playing half-crazy magic hunters sounds like a much more fun approach.

Helpful link:
OPEN SIGNUPS - Omnibus Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.