Status
Not open for further replies.
2) It was mentioned that something is only made canon when a player's species or character makes it so, but what if two characters have conflicting canons? If one player states that their race of eldritch, lovecraftian monsters are the biggest, baddest motherfuckers around, with terrible power unrivaled in all the universe, and one person is playing a race of angels that serve an omnipotent creator, what happens? Does somebody have to change? Is there a retcon, allowing for forces equally omnipotent to co-exist? Something else entirely?

That part's probably easy to fix. History's written from the eyes of the one writing it - maybe both sides' historians think they're just the best shit to ever live, and came to that independently of one another? Letting the cocky bastards meet and hash that mess out would be some neat drama.

This would count me out, since none of my characters have humanoid forms. To paraphrase Popeye: "They am what they am!" And nothing says a non-humanoid critter can't learn about humanity, just for the sake of knowing. After all, human colleges don't require students to use their knowledge. So long as the student fees are paid, they don't care what you do with your degree.
Size could be a problem though. I mean, a giant dragon won't exactly fit inside the room, let alone behind a desk :P. Of course, that could be solved by sizeshifting or whatever instead, but eh.

1) How are we going to deal with beings that have abilities that are way up there on the power scale? It seems to me that this is kinda' supposed to be a high-power RP, but if someone comes from, let's say, a race of sentient grandfather clocks with control over the passage of time, how are we going to balance that in a way that's fun for everyone?
For the most part, I judge god-moddy-ness more based on the player's actions than on the character. With a setting like Omnibus, it makes sense that we'd have some very powerful characters. But if the player can handle that well and not abuse those powers, then it shouldn't be an issue. If a player does abuse those powers then, well, I'll deal with that when it comes up.

As for something like controlling time -- I probably wouldn't allow anything like that to play out in the first place, just because it would be so hard to do in a forum RP. :P Which is really the only big thing I'll be looking for with people's powers -- whether or not it makes any sense in a forum RP.

And sometimes there are specific powers that jump out at me as having a high potential for abuse, but, it sort of depends on how the CS is written... A character just being really strong usually isn't as big of a red flag as a long list of very specific ways that a character could completely annihilate someone else in combat... And, yeah, listing/explaining powers in a very combat-oriented way is also sometimes a red flag.

The point is, I deal with this sort of thing in a very case-by-case-basis sort of way. I don't like putting overall restrictions on what everyone can do.

2) It was mentioned that something is only made canon when a player's species or character makes it so, but what if two characters have conflicting canons? If one player states that their race of eldritch, lovecraftian monsters are the biggest, baddest motherfuckers around, with terrible power unrivaled in all the universe, and one person is playing a race of angels that serve an omnipotent creator, what happens? Does somebody have to change? Is there a retcon, allowing for forces equally omnipotent to co-exist? Something else entirely?
Well, that's why you have a GM who has to approve every race, and who can prevent such conflicts from cropping up in the first place by making sure that a new race description still makes sense with everything we already have.

In addition, I probably wouldn't allow any "greatest power in all the universe" descriptions to begin with, because that can be extremely limiting for anyone who comes after. I know it's inevitable that players who join earlier will get certain perks compared to players who come later (like being able to snatch up popular races before anyone else), but, I do want to try to prevent early players from grabbing any definitive "only my race can do X, Y, and Z" sort of thing.

And, depending on the nature of the conflict that comes up, I'd probably be more likely to just ask the ambassador of the older race whether or not such-and-such would work and/or how to tweak things in order to make it work, rather than always favoring the older member and just telling the newbie "you can't do that, you're sort of almost stepping on this other person's toes with that idea".

In any case -- the point is, although the lore is primarily player-generated, you still have a GM to make sure everything fits together right. XD

...This feels rambly. I sure hope I'm making sense to everyone. XD

Size could be a problem though. I mean, a giant dragon won't exactly fit inside the room, let alone behind a desk :P. Of course, that could be solved by sizeshifting or whatever instead, but eh.
Yeah, this is really my biggest concern and the only real reason why I'd want to push for more humanoid-ish races, or at least races with humanoid forms. Even if saying "humanoids only" is a bit too restrictive, there still has to be some limits just in regards to what can physically attend a school or live in a dorm. o_o But... that feels like more of a common-sense thing, and can also easily be remedied by just giving creatures some sort of size/shapeshifting ability, and/or alternate forms that are slightly more human-like.

I see. Everything is so clear now...

It's...

Beautiful. Anyway, thanks for clearing all that up.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Luma and Kagayours
Yeah, this is really my biggest concern and the only real reason why I'd want to push for more humanoid-ish races, or at least races with humanoid forms. Even if saying "humanoids only" is a bit too restrictive, there still has to be some limits just in regards to what can physically attend a school or live in a dorm. o_o But... that feels like more of a common-sense thing, and can also easily be remedied by just giving creatures some sort of size/shapeshifting ability, and/or alternate forms that are slightly more human-like.

Actually, you're looking for races with humanoid size. Or close enough you don't have some huge creature stepping on everyone else. Heh... unless you have a critter the size of a housecat. But then, humans get along well with cats and dogs. We even keep mice as pets. So I'd figure, as long as your species/race is something that humans can interact with, the fact your humanoid might get a crick in their neck... either from having to look up, or look down... shouldn't be an issue. Besides... heh... it brings up the whole "Ride 'em, Horsey!" scenario. Besides, Omnibus might need someone for heavy-lifting duty.

Oh, by the way, Nism are human-sized. When standing on his hind legs, Deen is under six feet tall. About average. Largest critter I have just so happens to be an alien "dragon"... and he's only twenty feet from tip of nose to tip of tail. Ride-able size. I'd say, just keep your critters smaller than an elephant, and we should be okay.

And yes, what with magic about, the school could very well have a general size-shifting spell active, to take care of oversized students.

Actually, you're looking for races with humanoid size.
Humanoid forms in general is a pretty good catch-all for just about any issue that could arise from having such a diverse array of forms in a place like this. Not only is there the issue of actually fitting inside the building, but there's also things like -- being able to sit at a desk, or open doors, or do anything that would normally require hands...

I mean, at this point, I'm not going to restrict everyone to only having humanoid-esque forms. I'm just explaining why everything having humanoid forms makes things a little bit easier. Fewer variables to consider, and all that. :P

And yes, what with magic about, the school could very well have a general size-shifting spell active, to take care of oversized students.
Yeah, that could work, too.

Humanoid forms in general is a pretty good catch-all for just about any issue that could arise from having such a diverse array of forms in a place like this. Not only is there the issue of actually fitting inside the building, but there's also things like -- being able to sit at a desk, or open doors, or do anything that would normally require hands...

I mean, at this point, I'm not going to restrict everyone to only having humanoid-esque forms. I'm just explaining why everything having humanoid forms makes things a little bit easier. Fewer variables to consider, and all that. :P

Yeah, that could work, too.
Issues are fun though, as long as they remain in-character. Non-humanoids could end up falling into a 'minority' as well, which could be a really interesting social aspect.

Reactions: Kagayours

I think we can cover that:

And as long as the doors have handles, rather than knobs, I think the lack of thumbs wouldn't be that big of an issue. Just look at what raccoons can do without thumbs:

Edit: Really, I think all the interesting things that could happen would make such details actually quite important. Because, you know, students with thumbs could help students without. And desks could be moved aside, replaced with podiums or appropriate tables for those students who need such. Not to mention, stools solve the "tail issue" quite well. This could all lead to some very interesting/amusing interactions. It would be worth all the variables.

Issues are fun though, as long as they remain in-character. Non-humanoids could end up falling into a 'minority' as well, which could be a really interesting social aspect.

Exactly!

Last edited:
Mmm, good point.

I agree! Non-humanoids would make things more interesting. The school could have areas that accommodate non-humanoids, such as just push doors and places for just them to hang out you know?

Reactions: Luma
I think non-humanoid characters would make things more interesting, especially if they're a minority group within the school. I was going to bring up the issue surrounding how a race of horse sized ducks would use doors, but it seems that this has been worked out.

I am super interested. Hello all.
Awesome, welcome aboard the omnibus! Take a seat, we'll be leaving *shortly.

*Actually might take a while.

Awesome, welcome aboard the omnibus! Take a seat, we'll be leaving *shortly.

*Actually might take a while.
"Coming soon...ish"

Although it'll be a relatively short wait by my RP's standards. Haha.

I feel like I'm late to the party, hope this ship hasn't sailed (bus hasn't left!)

Hi guys! I read everything and checked out the wiki since I am super duper interested in this!! Please let me join! *bows so deep my head hits the floor*

I feel like I'm late to the party, hope this ship hasn't sailed (bus hasn't left!)
Hi guys! I read everything and checked out the wiki since I am super duper interested in this!! Please let me join! *bows so deep my head hits the floor*
There's still plenty of time to join! I'm fairly certain Omnibus will be an RP that's permanently open to new players, anyway. ^^

• Love
Reactions: DANAsaur
Ok so the ironic thing about all of this is that I don't even have any good race/character ideas. OwO"" I only have like... one idea that's been growing on me, but it feels kinda... edgelord, so I don't know if I want to go through with it.

Part of me kind of wants to bring silvers back, but that seems like it would be hypocritical, given what I've already said about actual TJA races returning. But like... were the silvers really that iconic? Does anyone even remember the silvers?

Hrm...

Ok so the ironic thing about all of this is that I don't even have any good race/character ideas. OwO"" I only have like... one idea that's been growing on me, but it feels kinda... edgelord, so I don't know if I want to go through with it.

Part of me kind of wants to bring silvers back, but that seems like it would be hypocritical, given what I've already said about actual TJA races returning. But like... were the silvers really that iconic? Does anyone even remember the silvers?

Hrm...
I looked at the list of TJA races and I can't blame you for getting stuck. Honestly, it feels anything I come up with has already been done, looking at that list. That being said, unique implementation is still unique in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.