1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
  5. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
romance, historical, horror
Welcome!
Hello! If you are interested in themes like history, reincarnation, religion, and political struggles, I may have just the thing for you! We are looking for a small, dedicated group that is interested in developing complex characters and relationships, with the help of a conflict-rich plot and a couple thousand years of history.

Old Gods Crusade is a reboot of a RP started a few months back that, due to a number of factors, is now being revamped with an improved plot and pared down character list. The RP has three current members (myself, @Kat, and @Rook) with established characters, but the plot will be starting from (more or less) the beginning, so you need not worry about being dropped into the middle of an ongoing story.

The full plot and character list can be viewed
here. In short, characters are reincarnated historical figures brought back to modern day by the gods to build a new empire and restore Hellenistic paganism to the world.

If you have questions, please ask away! Looking forward to hearing from you!

• How much do I need to know about history to be a part of this?
    • Probably less than you think. I would say an interest in history is more of a requirement than a knowledge of it. I would simply expect that you be willing to either ask me if you were unsure of a historical detail, or to research it yourself. I would also expect that you make yourself familiar with the basics of the historical figure you've chosen before writing your character. In addition, the people and places we are dealing with come exclusively from the ancient Mediterranean world (Greece, Rome, and a tiny bit of Egypt), so you need not know anything about history beyond that. When in doubt, keep in mind that you have a friendly future ancient historian as a GM who loves to talk about these things, and is more than willing to help :)

• Can I use a historical figure not listed?
    • That depends. They would need to have some involvement in either Alexander the Great's conquests, or the fall of the Roman Republic. If they do, feel free to ask me, and I will consider it. The ones I have chosen at this point were literally just chosen to maximize interesting relationships between characters, so there are certainly important people I have left out that would be a possibility.

• How similar are the characters to their past lives?
    • There is a little bit of room for interpretation with this. Your character will have inherited the soul of the historical figure, so presumably they would have a very similar personality. However, environmental factors also make a difference. Would Alexander the Great be a highly ambitious imperialist with a god complex if he had not been born a prince in Ancient Greece? Probably not (actually, in our case, definitely not). It's up to you how much or how little they take after their past lives. However, once their memory is recovered, they will entirely embody them, and then they will almost certainly behave the way you would expect them to have behaved in their past life.

• What about as far as appearance/gender/sex/etc?
    • They need not look how you imagine your historical figure looked. They inherited the soul, not the body. As far as gender and sex, a sex-swapped character is certainly an option. However, I imagine "gender" would very much be a part of the "soul" that is being transferred, so a situation like this would certainly come with a degree of dysphoria. If this is something you want to do, I would prefer if you talked to me first.

• Weekly posts will be expected. Occasionally missing a post is fine -- however, the scene will move along without you as scheduled. Consistent failure to post regularly will likely require an explanation in order to maintain your spot in the group.
  • Input is not only allowed, but highly encouraged. There is a plan in mind for the plot going forward, but there is plenty of room within that plan for player influence, and I would love to create something that everyone had a part in. If you have something crazy and game-changing in mind, please approach me. However, keep in mind that GM makes the final decision.
  • All characters must be adults (18+ for sure, preferably 20+)
  • This will be an LGBT friendly RP. As you likely know, male bisexuality was the norm in ancient Greece and Rome. While little is known about female homosexuality, it does not seem to have been a major issue, either. There are historical figures included in our character list who are known or highly suspected to have had same-sex relationships, and others who likely could have. While the modern incarnations of these people live in a far less fluid society and may or may not engage in same-sex relations for this reason, we will not be tolerating erasure of any known past same-sex relationships, should the subject ever come up.

• Spicy
Reactions: Pupperr and junebug
If you enjoy reincarnations and shenanigans, please join! @Achilles is an AMAZING GM!!! 😍

I'm thinking about it! It looks like a very interesting RP. I'm not a history buff though, but I saw in the FAQ you don't need to be as long as you're open to learning.. Hmm hmm.

• Spicy
Reactions: junebug
I'm thinking about it! It looks like a very interesting RP. I'm not a history buff though, but I saw in the FAQ you don't need to be as long as you're open to learning.. Hmm hmm.

I'm not a history buff. @Achilles helped me out when there were too many Julius Caesars... 😂 Dude is committed.

Reactions: Pupperr

I'm not a history buff. @Achilles helped me out when there were too many Julius Caesars... 😂 Dude is committed.

The concept is so cool, I am heavily debating. I've been reading over the available historical characters.

Reactions: junebug
I might be interested in playing Roxana. I didn't see anything about a character sheet, is it missing, or is there none? @Achilles

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Achilles
I am definitely interested in this idea!

Many Caesars, Kat. Only one is Julius. We've been over this. 😂
I might be interested in playing Roxana. I didn't see anything about a character sheet, is it missing, or is there none? @Achilles
Awesome! I, err... fully intended on making a CS thread, and somehow forgot. I'll get on that immediately!
I am definitely interested in this idea!
Fantastic! Let me know if have any questions, otherwise I will have a character sheet thread up shortly, and you can post there whenever you're ready!

• Haha
Reactions: junebug and Pupperr
Awesome! I, err... fully intended on making a CS thread, and somehow forgot. I'll get on that immediately!

Awesome! I will probably have a shit ton of questions for you. Is there a discord for this RP or is all the communication done through the forum?

Character index is here (I will post mine soon to give you all an example to follow)! We also now have a Discord here, if you wanna chat about the plot, make suggestions, or ask questions while we prepare to get started. :)

@Pupperr @Kimberlyn @Kat @Rook

• Love
Reactions: junebug and Pupperr
We still have room for a few more if anyone's interested! Lots of interesting people left, including some big ones (Julius Caesar, anyone??). Ask me about any of them!

• Sweet
  • Thank You
Reactions: Pupperr and junebug
While we have enough members now to get started, there is room for more and still time to join, if anyone's been lurking! Livia is reserved at the moment, but all other open characters are still fair game and very much wanted. Questions and suggestions are still welcomed, as well!

Reactions: Mglo
I'm quite intrigued by this. Just found it today and have been looking through the available info. Having a tough time choosing a favorite from the open cast.

I'm quite intrigued by this. Just found it today and have been looking through the available info. Having a tough time choosing a favorite from the open cast.

Awesome! I was going to give you a suggestion of who would bring in the most interesting dynamics with who we already have, but they all would, honestly, lol. But I can always help you narrow it down, if you are unable to decide! Are there are a couple that you're between right now, or are you still kind of open to everyone?

Open for the most part, though Bagoas and Augustus have a slight edge so far. I haven't dived into an RP for a while and though I'm very much interested in starting to again, I'm not finding it as easy to imagine characters based on historical facts (like, personalities and such). I know it's not immediate to imagine/decide on this but since whatever character I make will end up becoming that past figure, I'd like to figure it out now for the most part.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is, I'm finding it easier to imagine character personalities out of the roles that have least info, as opposed to someone like Julius Cesar or Augustus.

Edit: So the easier choice would be someone like Bagoas, but at the same time I don't want to make that choice before giving the others a chance.

Open for the most part, though Bagoas and Augustus have a slight edge so far. I haven't dived into an RP for a while and though I'm very much interested in starting to again, I'm not finding it as easy to imagine characters based on historical facts (like, personalities and such). I know it's not immediate to imagine/decide on this but since whatever character I make will end up becoming that past figure, I'd like to figure it out now for the most part.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is, I'm finding it easier to imagine character personalities out of the roles that have least info, as opposed to someone like Julius Cesar or Augustus.

Edit: So the easier choice would be someone like Bagoas, but at the same time I don't want to make that choice before giving the others a chance.

Oh, that's totally fair! In fact, you aren't the first person to say that. It can be easier or harder to make your character with less information depending on how you go about it. I would agree that in that case, Bagoas is a great option. There's been multiple interpretations of him, including historical and fictional ones, that all think of him a little differently. He can be read as anything from conniving to easily manipulated to just genuinely loyal, which all give you very, very different characters. He's probably the character that would give you the most freedom by far.

I would also keep in mind, if you have any interest in playing any of the women that are open, that history tends not to be kind to women (especially from these two time periods). There are some (none that I have listed, though it's a definite possibility for all of them even if we don't know it) that appear to have had stories about them straight up fabricated by ancient historians because a) it was a convenient explanation for something or b) they didn't like that she was outspoken/independent. You certainly have the option of re-interpreting some of the "bad girls" in a much more sympathetic way than history does, if you wanted. That would give you some freedom.

In any case, take your time! You can sit with this for awhile and see if you get struck with inspiration before committing.

Reactions: junebug and Mglo
This RP will be kicking off sometime in this upcoming week, and I'd be happy to have another character or two to start! If you have any questions whatsoever or need a character recommendation, let me know. Otherwise, you can sign-up here. You can also join our Discord here if you want quicker responses from me, or to chat and plot with the rest of the group. :)