Oh! Sorry, I thought you were one of them. (Zombies!?)

DuracellDuality

Edgebabby
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Advanced
  5. Prestige
  6. Douche
  7. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Any.
Hey all!

I've had this idea kicking around in my head for a long while now. Back in 2006 or 7 or so, on Myspace, was when I first started really roleplaying. My first major interaction and consistent posting record came from a Resident Evil RP. To be sure, I was absolutely terrible. I was godmodding, autoing, OP as hell, you name it. Regardless, I had an absolute blast coming home from school and checking to see if there was a reply yet. Of course ... that led to me getting deeper into the hobby, and deeper still. Fast forward to 2018 and I took a well deserved break from the hobby, after 6 years on Tumblr. It's been almost a year now, with some sporadic writing on Discord to compensate, but I'm ready to get back into the fray, and cook up something large and in charge.

So, for my own self-styled return, I figure why not go back to the basics? This is nothing special, and is absolutely cliche. But I hope to make it interesting and unique enough to offset that cliche nature. Without further adieu:

Zombies!? is something I plan to expand on over time in terms of mythos and concepts. Initially, think of the beginning of the plot taking off like numerous other Zombie media out there: Romero's Dead Quadrilogy, Resident Evil 1, 2 + 3, The Walking Dead, etcetera. A group of survivors band together to live in this wasteland. But what I plan to do to set this apart from ... literally every other Zombie group RP thread since the beginning of time is including Actions and Time.

Let me explain.

Every post would theoretically have the plot or characters moving forward -- even if there's a moment of respite, perhaps they start to learn things about their fellow survivors, so there is still development happening. So, to compensate for that, everything takes place in what I'd like to call the Relative Real Time system. Yes, I just made that up. Each post can (but is not required to) have the amount of time their actions take at the bottom, i.e. if your character splits with another character to explore an abandoned store for supplies, you can just simply write something like

'Total time taken: 3 minutes'

Which then other characters can write what they do in those three minutes, or they can write something after / before. It's a bit complicated, I know, but it makes total sense in my head!

Now, why all the hubbub over the patented Relative Real Time System? Well ... I'll have a character, too! But being the quote " unquote " game master " of this roleplay, I'll also write the NPCs or any major zombie hordes ... but most importantly:

World Events!

This is subject to change, of course, but the idea I have in my head is that every 24 hours in real life, I'll deduct the total amount of time that passes from each post from the countdown of an event I have planned, whether it be something major or minor. Don't worry, I won't be PMing anyone saying their character is dead now or anything, that's up to you, the players! It simply varies on the repercussions the actions that characters take have on the world + the repercussions of any previous World Events.

So, say I have a countdown for a military supply drop or something similar. I'll post like

'Military Supply Drop incoming: [x]day [x]hr [x] min' (or it could be something just like minutes instead of both days and hours, or just hours instead of days, too, etc.)

And the next day, when I get a chance, of course, I'll make a follow-up NPC / lore post or what-have-you updating the time. If something happens in real life where I can't post, or someone can't / hasn't posted yet, I'll skip a day or two of updating the time just to keep things flowing relatively smoothly and ensuring everyone has a good time and feels like their actions matter instead of being decided by me on a whim.

Now that the systems are out of the way, the basic plot is as follows:

One day, the world woke up, drank its coffee, and promptly pushed up a bed of daisies. Very few select individuals remembered how the horde of zombies appeared -- those who don't remember have a hazy, red mist over their memory, as if something is deliberately blocking the memory. These individuals have banded together with their common cause, find out the persons responsible for this, and make them pay ... and survive. But maybe one of the survivors isn't remembering things quite clearly. Maybe they see things pretty hazily, too. Maybe ... just maybe, they've forgotten how to be human.

On the horizon line, in an unnamed Metropolitan area, a lone red light blinks intermittently. Late at night, the blinking speeds up, and then slows down -- stopping for approximately an hour or two. It varies. There's no pattern. What the Rememberers do know, however . . . when the pulsing, red light stops, so does the horde.

What is that red light? Why don't even the Rememberers remember it? Where is it and -- most importantly . . . Zombies!?

This is absolutely long-winded and very rambly, but I've been meaning to really, really get invested in roleplay again, and especially get started on this site. Please let me know if you're interested in this, and if you have any ideas or constructive criticism, I'm all ears! Please, I wanna hear feedback! Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy. The actual post will be much more detailed and informative, I promise. :)

EDIT: Oh! Sorry! I forgot to mention, I also plan to have a weekly wrap up, where I go over the biggest events from that week. I.e. '[x] killed [x]' or '[x] found a stash of [x] behind the warehouse', just so people have an idea of what's happened if they wanna jump in when they haven't before, instead of having to read pages of text!

Last edited:
Ok, I've seen this ad kicking around for a bit. I just came out of a zombie RP that unfortunately met it's end due to my fellow RPers having RL concerns taking their time which is understandable but the zombie itch is still there. So if you're still looking for interested parties consider me one such party.

Man, you replied as soon as I checked Iwaku for the day. I'm definitely still interested in doing this, and was a bit disheartened at getting no interest in it. I know it's cliche, but who says cliches can't be good?

I'd be interested! I've been wanting to do a zombie/Resident Evil styled rp for a while.

Man, you replied as soon as I checked Iwaku for the day. I'm definitely still interested in doing this, and was a bit disheartened at getting no interest in it. I know it's cliche, but who says cliches can't be good?
That's certainly a strong coincidence my friend, almost like today was the day for this RP or something.

Alright, cool, I've got two people interested. Think y'all can wrangle up any more?

Hello! I'm definitely interested in this. I have a zombie itch as well!

Sweet, three people! I think one or two more people are needed and then we'll be golden for me to start a signup thread!

Hey!! One more, I think would be good, unless you all think a couple more would be good?

Reactions: Sekushiii
I love zombie rps but sometimes i struggle to get my ideas right and lately it's been fairly hard to come up wity 2 or more para posts

That's okay! No pushing from me! If you do decide to join, as long as you can get a paragraph down where your own character's plot moves forward or even the plot, that's fine too! Length is not a requirement!

Reactions: Rads and Dakota K5
That's okay! No pushing from me! If you do decide to join, as long as you can get a paragraph down where your own character's plot moves forward or even the plot, that's fine too! Length is not a requirement!
I can do that

Groovy! I'll make the main post when I'm off work tonight! I go in in an hour and work for three, so that's going to be 10 pm my time (PST)! So, it should be up by tomorrow morning! Thanks for your interest, people!

Can't wait for the link.

Dakota, man, ya gotta stop doin' this! Replying to my thread as soon as I check Iwaku for the day, dang! I haven't started on the app yet, unfortunately, but thankfully it's not going to be as in depth as the actual RP itself! So, it won't take me too long to actually do so. Stay tuned!

Reactions: Dakota K5
Signups are open!