Oh, dear God...

This whole thread is about the misuse of words, Sponge Bagel. This thing goes deep.

Reactions: Kairia
*folds arms*

Don't tag my content, Baby.

Well well well, somebody certainly has a keen eye for details. Next time I have a mystery on my hands, I'm calling Detective Asmo. :3 And not just because he provides his own nine-volt batteries for the electrical interrogation scenes.

Tags give people two reactions: "Hey look at me!" or "Eww I'm not even going to click that!" For some people, that's a time-saving feature as it keeps people whose browsers explode into a dozen tabs whenever they enter the forums from having to read things they want nothing to do with. The problem with this is not just that it encourages people to not be social, but that the tags can be ineffective in pretty much any context.

"Oh look, this one is labeled 'hardcore kink.' I sure hope there's ponyplay and bondage devices." - Nope, it's about a physically abusive relationship that sometimes makes use of bondage to spice up its no-consent elements.

"This one's sci-fi! There must be spaceships inside!" - Nope, just cyborgs and scientists struggling with morality.

"Religious themes?" Which religion?!

"Dude on Dude" - actually not smutty at all, and barely shows two characters holding hands, making readers wonder why this was posted in the [Lib] board.

You get the point, right? I like this site. It's the only forum I've ever been a regular poster on since 2008, when my last little corner on the internet vanished. I like it because it isn't secretly Tumblr in disguise. But hey, I'm not complaining about the changes. Just as a static world is boring for a story, a site that always stays the same is going to get dull. As long as the company here stays entertaining, I'm fine with whatever little additions they come up with, as long as they aren't disruptive.

Besides, if somebody doesn't click any of my threads because there're no tags on it, I didn't want to play swords with them anyway. :c

So you admit you're a masturbatory psychotic who draws the lines in his roleplay before he even starts, and fuck all the players who dare intervene in your glorious Nazi masterplan?

If that's what you wish to call it, then yes, I do.

The synopsis in your first post should do that. If you need tags, you fail as a storyteller.

And having tags means that the synopsis in the first post does not do that? I don't see how having tags invalidates the quality of the content, or the talent of the storyteller. They're crude, but they are fantastic as a matter of convenience.

Not really. I guess some people like to tag what they want or at least hope to be in a thread. Everything shouldn't be set in stone with some tags.

So, after not peeking at the roleplay section for about 4 months... I took a peek just now.

Oh dear God, the content tags!

What is the point of a collaborative story if you're going to lock down the minutiae of content parameters? That's something masturbatory psychotics do. Isn't the very point of roleplaying to be pleasantly surprised by the directions of other creatives?

And who the hell REFRAINS from joining a roleplay because it has a certain tag on it? Are you not looking for an immersive story that takes you into new and unexplored situations? Are you, in fact, ALSO a masturbatory psychotic who is trying to expedite the indexing of their spank bank?

This is highly anti-social. It allows people to join your roleplay and give ZERO contribution to the collaborative act of steering the story.

I remember when (YES, I USED THAT PHRASE) I was a GM and I had to actually TALK to other players about where they wanted the story to go, thematically, stylistically and essentially. I didn't just tag the fuck out of my brainchild then sit back and watch the rats scurry around by heavily-prescribed rat maze.

It's a mess! I despair for humanity! You're all masturbatory psychotics! (I'm loving that phrase right now. Say it three times really quickly, in front of a mirror. You'll love it.)

SO, now that I have initiated this debate from a position of extremely hostile emotive prejudice that discourages all rationale discourse, PLEASE DISCUSS.

Are Content Tags the gang signs of Satan?

haha you said masturbate.

Fanfic writers have been doing this for years.

Late again to the party, Assmo.

i second that.

but better late than never, no?

Reactions: Fijoli
THIS IS A GOOD TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION! O__O

Also Vagina Factory is better than a Dick Pool. JUST SAYIN'.

As for my feelings about the present tags.... um... I actually don't use most of them. c__c Not as a GM, anyway. When I want to post up my thread, I feel like many of them are limiting or putting a stigma on my content that might not truly represent my roleplay. Especially at the start when the roleplay hasn't gone anywhere yet. I want people to try my roleplay and make it what it's going to be. I don't like to define everything ahead of time. This is all just my personal style of improving shit and being very hands on with my players. After the roleplay has been running for awhile (if it ever got that far) I would go back and add tags.

As a PLAYER searching for roleplays, I do find them useful for weeding out roleplays. Which is very hypocritical of me cause I refuse to use them, but it's a quick-view test to find content I want. If I see tag I don't like, I skip that roleplay down to the bottom of my list. I can get a good idea on whether or not I'll like the way a game master runs their game or the kind of plots they do based on some of their tag choices. >> Prestige Roleplay + Religious themes. No thanks, running away now! And when I come across a roleplay without any tags listed, I just have to browse through it the old fashioned way by reading their info, checking out the players, and stalking their past RPs. I don't mind doing this. That is how I roll.

Is it judgmental and potentially turning me away from something I might've enjoyed otherwise? YES. But then, we have all been looking for reasons to judge a roleplay at a glance, long before content tags come in to play. Be it someone's typing habits, their plot choices, wall of text intro, or whatever.

This is just another tool that is going to be both really useful and also really crappy.

Well, thank you for half-assing our roleplay experience. We appreciate it.

And, seriously, WHAT THE FUCK...

Disney can be DARK Asmo! D:<

Everyone remembers Frollo and his Hellfire scene. O__O That shit was intense.

Well, thank you for half-assing our roleplay experience. We appreciate it.

And, seriously, WHAT THE FUCK...

In defense of that particular RP, the current party consists of an AoE DPSer mage (Queen Elsa), a couple skill monkey rogues (Jack Sparrow, Flynn Rider), a flying rank (Goliath), a reality warper (Jack Skellington), another mage (Mickey Mouse), Tinker Bell, an awakened wolf (Aleu), and a tactician (Mulan)

In my head, I'm just thinking we've made Disney characters into D&D character classes and multiclasses

And it is wonderfully entertaining in my head

Elsa is totally dipping into some Frostburn PrCs - who actually uses stuff out of Frostburn???

Frollo tossed a piece of clothing in the fireplace. He didn't sodomize the mentally-handicapped with a barbed dildo while wearing a clown mask and calling himself a cunt-loving nigger.

*checks the DVD extras*

He probably did in the international release.

Frollo tossed a piece of clothing in the fireplace. He didn't sodomize the mentally-handicapped with a barbed dildo while wearing a clown mask and calling himself a cunt-loving nigger.

*checks the DVD extras*

so where's this version of the movie?

because you know, Frollo isn't on enough Top 10 Disney Villain lists as it is

I decided to browse through the Global Signups to see what's up. I will say that some threads have some excessive tags. And others are excessive to the point where I have to laugh because it's terribad. >.< But I do see ones that don't have tags, and others that have a moderate amount.

Would I say that the tags themselves are leading to bad stories/roleplay being told? It would depend on the GMs and players, and I haven't browsed through the threads themselves to know. I do think a player has to read the content tags, the rules, and get the feel of the personality of the GM to know if the GM is truly bad or if the roleplay sucks.

Personally I am fine with a moderate amount of content tags. Too much and I will probably step away. What I care about the most are the rules and personality of the GM. I can work with most genres if those two requirements are met. If you're giving me a mountain of rules that do not make sense or the GM is not considerate or willing to work with players I won't be playing.

whoa! thats...below the belt

BAH DUM tishhhhh
Swimming in genitalia seems less appealing to me than artificially altering the gender bias.

As a PLAYER searching for roleplays, I do find them useful for weeding out roleplays. Which is very hypocritical of me cause I refuse to use them, but it's a quick-view test to find content I want. If I see tag I don't like, I skip that roleplay down to the bottom of my list. I can get a good idea on whether or not I'll like the way a game master runs their game or the kind of plots they do based on some of their tag choices. >> Prestige Roleplay + Religious themes. No thanks, running away now! And when I come across a roleplay without any tags listed, I just have to browse through it the old fashioned way by reading their info, checking out the players, and stalking their past RPs. I don't mind doing this. That is how I roll.

This is exactly why I don't use them. Sure, there might somewhere some place be a torture scene in the RP, but the moment someone reads that tag they are likely to have very varied interpretations. I mean, if I put a disclaimer in my OP, detailing that because I'm making working a medieval fantasy setting and torture may be employed depending on how the campaign goes, with the goal to gain information at some point to further the plot, it is completely different from... Say... We're all super-edgy poorly written psychopaths who enjoy hurting people. Yet there is no distinction made between these two by just using a tag.

Also, maybe I don't mind a shorter post, but still expect people to run good grammar and want them to create and contribute a ton of stuff to the world. Or the other way around, I don't want people to have any power but I do want long flashbacks and monologues. idk. This is also why I will completely ignore tags when checking out RP's. They're limited in the way they present information. Also I really, really want to label my RP's as douche-level for the humour of it, but I think that'd actually scare people away and not actually read the actual expectations :x

But seriously, unless we get people not clicking certain stuff because it doesn't have the right tags for them, I don't really feel the need for a crusade.

Smite asmodeus. It hurts his feelings.

Also, I blame lack of player interest (didn't even have anyone berate me) in my pathetic attempt at a cyberpunk RP on the lack of tags.

When I do search through RPs, I usually look at the title, and browse the synopsis. The tags rarely do anything for me. They seem to be a symptom of trying to be politically correct and inoffensive, although it probably isn't very pleasant for there to be unannounced triggers in RPs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kairia