Oh, Calamity

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PlayingMonster

Original poster
She clicked into the email, almost subconsciously holding her breath. She was pretty sure that she'd done alright, but she didn't particularly want to have to repeat any exams. Her parents would be pretty annoyed with her if she had to repeat a year, but even if they didn't pay for it, she had enough money saved from her job working in the university cafe to cover herself for it. The lease on her apartment lasted through the summer, so she had decided to take advantage of it. She'd been home to visit, but was back in the city now.

She skimmed down through her results. She'd passed everything, and had maintained her average of a B+. She threw her hands up in the air and shut down the lid of her laptop, leaving it into her bedroom. She decided to go get lunch at her favourite cafe to celebrate. Unfortunately, all of her friends were abroad at the moment, so she didn't have anyone to celebrate with.

She changed out of her flannel pyjamas and into a pair of black skinny jeans and a printed t-shirt, pulling her favourite pale blue denim jacket on over her shirt as she grabbed her keys and favourite messenger bag, shoving her wallet into the latter. She couldn't wipe the grin off of her face as she walked. She ordered a coffee and a cajun chicken and mozzarella panini, before sitting at her favourite table outside. She pulled out her phone and sent around a few texts, letting people know how she'd done.

"Really Rhionne, take a break."

"We can finish skimming through the contracts and fixing the negotiations; just go out and relax."

"But guys I seriously need to--"

"Loosen your panties?"

"Get a life?"

"Get laid?"

"OHHOTDAMNTHATBURN."

". . . . I get it. I'll go."

Waving goodbye to his kind friends and coworkers, he was thankful that over the years, his introversion lessened and he had gained lifetime companions that guided him throughout life's constant change and endless routes to different endings. Since it was early, and he still had about five hours of relaxation before picking up the two brilliant troublemakers in school, he made sure to take his time in looking for a good spot to unwind, and take his mind off of stocks, deals and sales for once.

After much searching (well it took him twenty minutes, that has to mean something), he had found himself lining up inside a quaint yet homey cafe. Everything on the menu looked appetising, and he ordered grilled chicken with a creamy pesto sauce, along with buttered vegetables, a plate of spaghetti bolognese and a tall ice cold mocha latte. The prices were lower than what he'd usually pay in those fancy restaurants he'd get dragged in to every Thursday night.

The service was quick, and his mouth watered at the dishes he was now presented with. Across his old lover's table did he seat; the chairs were moderately cushioned and it helped in calming his slight anxiety to this new environment.

She glanced up at the waitress as she left her meal, grinning at her. "Thanks." She took a sip from her caramel latte. As she lowered her mug, she almost dropped it. Sitting at the table across from her... It wasn't. Here? Of all places? What was the chances of him being here after all these years? They'd broken up quietly, on her doorstep, only a few months before she left for college. She hadn't even thought to look him up. She watched him for a few more seconds, trying to figure out if it was him or not. But it was enough to tell him that she was right. She swallowed and picked up her plate and her coffee, going over to his table. "Rhionne?" She asked, staring at him. It had to be. His eyes were so distinctive. And she couldn't forget them after staring into them so much. "Can I sit down?" She asked, her voice barely louder than a whisper. She couldn't believe it was him.

He groaned in delight at the first bite, and ignored the stares for such an odd sound he had made. Shoving a few forkfuls in his mouth, he took a large gulp of the bittersweet drink and sighed in content. If only such days existed at an almost-daily basis. Maybe then would he less feel the years taking their toll on him. Though the sweet voice had alarmed him a bit, he wasn't that much of the Rhionne in the past. He actually had tact, and much less coldness.

"This is a free country Abigail, and a free seat to boot. Do as you wish." It wasn't harsh nor condescending but more like him insisting for the girl to do so.

She sat down, raising her eyebrows. "Okay, before we go any further, I never liked to be called Abigail, and that still hasn't changed. It's Abby." She told him, taking a sip of her coffee and grinning. "So, how are you? It's been so long! How are your siblings?" She asked, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. She took a bite of her sandwich, grinning even wider as she did so. God, the food here was incredible. A tad expensive for her budget most of the time, but it worked as a treat.

"I'am glad to see you're doing well then Abby." He mumbled, focused on the food. Though a bit uneasy, it wasn't like he didn't want her around. But it was more than unexpected to find someone who practically meant everything to him after everything. She still looked the same, with that cheery smile and bright aura that enticed people to approach her. She didn't change much but Rhionne was more than sure she must have gone through a lot as well.

She smiled at him, but inside, she was slightly uneasy. The last time they'd really spoken, they'd broken up on her parent's doorstep because his sibling was ill, and she could feel herself slipping back into her old ways. She'd managed to stop before she fully relapsed, and had graduated with the results she needed. But after all this time, having lunch together was... strange. He was the first guy that had really cared about her. She'd slept with other guys, but it was never more than that. Even the guys she'd dated in college, they always ended up leaving her. Except for the guy who had cheated. She'd left him, but had cried herself to sleep over it.

"So, what have you been doing with yourself? How are your siblings?" She asked, taking a mouthful of her coffee.

"I got a good job and I'am happily sending Merith and Keith to their last year of elementary. How are things with you? Been into.. Dating?" The last part of his sentence was almost a whisper. The brunet of course, was a tad curious; he just wanted to know if she had moved on from the most painful decision in his life. To raise his little family, to study, to fix his life.

She nodded a little, feeling her stomach twist. "Uh, yeah. I've had a few boyfriends, but they were all jerks. Most of them walked out when they found out what I was like in high school. Others "didn't want that baggage". One was a cheating asshole." But you were none of those things, were you? She remembered how he'd reacted when she'd told him everything. Why she had missed so much school in her sophomore year. And he'd just hugged her and told her that she was going to be okay. She swallowed and raised her coffee to her lips again. "What about you? Girlfriends?" She asked softly. Neither of them were pretending. There were really asking how they'd gotten over each other. Abby felt bad for having other things on her mind after they'd broken up, but she'd known that if he was all she thought about, she'd get a lot worse.

"I never really tried to find someone else. I just immersed myself in making sure the twins got what they need and that they could pass school." Her words did of course made him a bit anxious. Was she trying to imply something? Should he even analyse such petty.. Thoughts? Entertain them? It was more than clear he could only hold the position of a good friend here. "I stopped becoming interested in trying to find 'the one' everyone insists on. Maybe I'am just getting old I suppose.." His plates were all empty, and all that was left would be his drink.

She listened as he spoke, eating her food. She couldn't seem to meet his eyes. He seriously hadn't dated since her? Three years and he hadn't dated? And there was her, trying not to think about the guy who helped her get back to her feet and hadn't cared about any of her problems. She cleared her throat. "Oh, okay." Her stomach twisted, and she was speaking before she really understood what she was about to do. "I passed all of my exams, and I'm in the mood for celebrating. Do you want to do something tonight?" She asked, finally looking up to meet his eyes and smiling slightly.

All he could do was gulp down the caffeine, which seemed much more bitter than it should really be. The way she fidgeted and just evaded his gaze made his heart clench. Did he make things awkward with his answer? Well she was being honest, and he did the same. Just as he was calculating how to make an exit, her question almost made him slip from his own seat in surprise.

Was Abigail-- Abby, serious?

"I'll see if I can. I mean I am not declining, but if you don't mind, I'll find a babysitter for the kids first."

And now something he might regret; pulling out a card from his pocket, he grabbed a pen from his jacket pocket and scribbled down his personal phone number at the back, handing it to her.

"I have to get back to work, but give me a call as to where you plan on going. I'll do my best to be there." He gave her a polite farewell before standing up and taking his leave. His nerves were going haywire;

Was that a stupid move?

All he could do was gulp down the caffeine, which seemed much more bitter than it should really be. The way she fidgeted and just evaded his gaze made his heart clench. Did he make things awkward with his answer? Well she was being honest, and he did the same. Just as he was calculating how to make an exit, her question almost made him slip from his own seat in surprise.

Was Abigail-- Abby, serious?

"I'll see if I can. I mean I am not declining, but if you don't mind, I'll find a babysitter for the kids first."

And now something he might regret; pulling out a card from his pocket, he grabbed a pen from his jacket pocket and scribbled down his personal phone number at the back, handing it to her.

"I have to get back to work, but give me a call as to where you plan on going. I'll do my best to be there." He gave her a polite farewell before standing up and taking his leave. His nerves were going haywire;

Was that a stupid move?

She nodded as he left, turning the card over in her hands. A grin crept over her face as she finished her coffee and stood up. It sounded like he wanted to go out with her, so even if he couldn't meet her tonight, they'd be able to go out some other time. She put a hand to her mouth, her grin slipping slightly. Wait... did she still feel like that? Even after this long?

She shook her head and stood up. She was just looking forward to meeting up with him for a proper conversation. She stood up and swung her bag over her shoulder, heading back to her apartment. She spent the afternoon skyping her friends, talking to them about their exam results. They'd all passed with flying colours. Once they disconnected, she pulled out her phone and Rhionne's card, texting him. "How about dinner? I know this place, Ramsay's, where we won't need a reservation, but it's great."

After grabbing a few files from his office and bidding goodbye to his colleagues, he drove to the school, his heart rate soon calming down as he realised that a little date shouldn't throw him off as if it were the most important thing in the world. It wasn't all too late since it was only 3:00pm. Merith and Keith had the same fiery red hair, green eyes and faint freckles. The only difference was one, Merith was a kind, gentle boy, while Keith was a tough cookie who'd probably smack anyone who comes her way. It was a funny sight really.

"Daaaad, what took you so long? I want ice cream!"

"S-School was nice."

You can guess of course, who's talking. Rhionne chuckled and sped away, sighing again. "Well we can, though is it okay if I go on a date today..?" He needed the permission from his beloved siblings, though over the years he was more or less recognised as the father.

"Ohhhh! You're getting laid tonight~!"

This made him blush a bright red and caused the red-haired boy to laugh a bit.

"Dad, we'll be okay. Go and have fun."

She stared at her wardrobe, wrapped in a towel. What exactly did one wear for this kind of event? Did she try and make him regret ever leaving her? Or did she go more casual as if to say, "I'm not expecting anything but I'm totally down for it." She sighed and pulled out a sleeveless cream dress. A balance between the two seemed best. She pulled on a pair of tan tights and stepped into a pair of her favourite cream heels. She needed the height. A black belt to accentuate her waist, and she turned her attention to her hair and make-up. She didn't exactly have time to let it dry by itself, and besides, it probably made a bit more sense to blow dry it. It fell in waves around her shoulders, and she leaned in to do her make-up. She kept it relatively simple, a slight smokey eye, mascara, but applied her favourite bright red lipstick to make a statement. She looked herself up and down and grinned. She looked great. She had to tell herself these things to keep her self-esteem up.

She put her phone and make-up into her black clutch, and pulled on a black blazer before heading downstairs and getting a taxi to the restaurant. She appeared to be there before him, and decided to wait outside. It wasn't cold just yet, so she was comfortable enough.

After calling for a favour with his friends, they looked after the mischievous duo and he had quickly took a shower, simply putting on a pair of black slacks, brown loafers, a red button-down dress shirt and a brown leather jacket; spraying a bit of cologne on him, he ran down the stairs, and bid them goodbye; of course he ran back up to get his phone, wallet and keys. He was never really conscious about his appearance, so he merely ruffled his own hair and sent her a quick text saying he was on his way now. Though the action caused him to smack against the door, earning him laughter from the spectators. Scowling at the watching group, he practically ran to his car and revved up the engine.

"This is crazy.. I just know it is." He whispered to himself as he got out of the driveway and sped away on the glimmering asphalt road. About ten minutes later, he found a good spot just across the brightly lit building. It did, in fact, looked rather lavish, but with a less haughty feel to it. Getting out of the dark-coloured vehicle, he locked it and jogged to the front.

"I'am sorry, I hope I didn't make you wait too long." He said in a rush and tilted his head, raising a brow. Indeed the brunette was surprised to see her dress up. "Well you look amazing tonight." He admitted and gestured to the entrance. "Shall we?"

She smiled as he approached. He looked good, even if she wouldn't have necessarily picked out the red shirt for a guy to wear. He raised an eyebrow as he looked her up and down. She'd seldom dressed up as a teenager, still being too self-conscious about her recovering body. But now she was a lot more comfortable in her own skin, and she did like to dress up. She smiled at his compliment. "Thanks. Yes, let's." She led the way in. She'd been here to celebrate birthdays and such, and the waiters recognised her. They were seated and handed menus. She stared at her, but found herself unable to stop herself from glancing up at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.