Of Magic and Mayhem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wane's fur stood on end and when Carson left again, he shouted back "Thank you Mr. Know it all!" he shook his head and snickered a bit. He looked back at Micah "Yeah, that's a friend of mine. He's a bit...out there" he smirked.

Micah tilted her head, watching Wane's reaction with an amused expression. She didn't reply, just inclined her head and looked straight ahead again. "If they're trying to sneak across, they aren't doing a very good job." Micah muttered after a few minutes. "Let's just hope they're what your friend said."

Wane flicked his tail irritatedly when he detected the hint of amusement in her mind, leave it to Carson to ruin him after he tried so hard to keep his cool. He shrugged "Whatever, it isn't my problem if whoever they are get killed". He looked at Micah carefully, smirking a bit 'I wonder if she has a resistant mind' he thought. Not everyone would be affected by his mind powers, especially those of strong mind and will. It was usually his habit to test out his trick on people he meets, and he would have success with a lot of them. He'd even be able to manipulate them to do his bidding, to his amusement. Though others were more like Carsonagan, and he could barely budge them, and sometimes they'd call him out on trying to probe their minds. He concentrated on getting her to do something simple, an action so normal it wouldn't be likely for anyone to resist it. He concentrated on getting her to scratch her ears.

Slightly startled he didn't expect the girl to ask him were he lived so when she did he quickly thought on his feet. "We are in town now I don't need watched im just going to buy a few things and head home, I'll be fine." he gave her a reassuring smile hiding his not-so-human teeth from under his hat as he carefully hid his eyes. Looking around he noticed the streets were lined with lanterns and people drinking and dancing enjoying them selves in the cool night, he turned back towards the girl right before he slipped away into the crowded streets and headed off to find a food stand or something before he headed off back into the neutral territory. He was used to being around humans by now but it still made him a little jittery and his muscles tense. He didn't like the humans that much or trust them and he wasn't about to start the faster he got away from the girl with out her finding him out and the faster he got to the neutral territory the better, although he knew he should be looking around to give some information to the elders hes heard so much about he couldn't help wanting to get away.

Micah nodded in agreement, softly smiling to herself. Without really realizing it, her thoughts drifted back to the events earlier in the day. Looking back on it now, she wondered why she had spent most of her day trying to get a sapling to move. Irritation flashed through her mind, wiping the smile from her face. She huffed, shifting her weight and reaching her hand up scratch her ears for a moment, pausing, and sending an accusing glare in Wane's direction. "Damn it." Micah muttered, lowering her hand. Had she known that was coming she could have tried to block it, but with her thoughts on other things she hadn't realized what had happened until she looked over at him. Flicking her ears, Micah looked over at Wane again, smiling and shaking her head.

Wane smirked when he got her to do it "Ha! I got you!" he laughed, he threw his arms over his head and rested his head against them "Score one for the Wane man" he lashed his tail victoriously. He then raised an eyebrow, "So trees? What about them" he grinned apologetically "Sorry, I try to respect other's privacy but some things slip" he shrugged "Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get better at it, it's not easy being a mind controller, either."

Micah rolled her eyes. "Don't let it go to your head." She told him, glancing up above his head. It was her turn to smirk. Her eyes focused on a slender branch. "Trees? Oh. Just a frustrating sapling." Micah concentrated on the branch, her head slightly tilted. "You do, huh? Not doing a very good job at the moment." The branch twitched. Micah grinned, flicked her wrist, and the branch thwacked Wane in the side of the head. Like using a whip. Except leafy.

Elena watched the mysterious man go without a word. She watched him until she lost sight of him in the crowd, not an easy feat with her eyes. She bit her lip beneath her cloak as the people in the square partied for some unknown reason to her. After a few more moments of looking for the man, she turned and began to walk away from the lit up area, melting back into the shadows with ease thanks to her cloak. Something about the man was nagging at he mind, but she couldn't place it. She wondered through the back alleyways in a lazy manner as she headed back to her home slowly.

"Ow" Wane rubbed his head "Sheesh, alright alright! Don't have to show off! That's my job!" He grinned mischiviously.

He looked at the figure that was returning to their side "I'm going to see who it is...and if it's a human I'll tear it to shreds" he said, giving Micah a quick glance "Be right back. Don't miss me to much" he said as he slunk off into the grass, tailing the creature, if it was a human it would be so easy for Wane to go undetected.

------------

Anne nodded "Yes, I agree" she sighed, closing the book "So I guess that's two of us, and an entire human civilization against us." She stared at Leo "I think I can pull a few strings being some form of rayalty, but it's going to take allies from here and the other side to stop this"

To the south I travel, to warn of impending war.

The older wolf Anthro had been dashing through the woodland for the better part of the hour heading to the more southern villages of the land. To warn them that through the eyes of a dead rat in the human kingdom, he had seen the horrors they were constructing. Massive machines of destruction, soldiers hell-bent on laying waste to Anthrokind. To warn them of the impending battle to come. To tell them to prepare their warriors for the fray, to tell them to spread the word to the east and west villages as well. His call rang true among the trees, a booming voice despite his age.

"PREPARE FOR WAR!"

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
"HooooooRAAAH!"
A roar could be heard from within the the wood that Carsonagan traveled in. It was the sound of a fellow wolf, but he was VERY deep within the wood, way off the beaten path and from the sound of it, he sounded young, barely a male of age but the roar was very aggressive. If he were to seek out the sound of the roar, he would come across quite the site. Though to Avonin, the owner of that load roar, it would just be another day of training.

Avonin could be found in the middle of a clearing of the woods. It was not natural, shaped with magic by molding the earth around him in a way that it kept any brush, trees, or dry grass away in a somewhat arena like appearance. The young wolf was moving about, throwing kicks, punches and sweeps with various speeds and barking or roaring with each grand move he made. His fur was dark gray to light gray from his outer limbs to his belly, though this was hard to see with the magic he was practicing along with his striking. His fur, from the looks of things, was set ablaze, fire seeming to originate from his core and stretching out to his outer limbs and ending at all four of his paws, making a sound as if swinging a burning torch with each movement. His eyes, a deep amber color, were fully focused, he keeping his concentration as the fire doesn't seem to harm him but seems to grow out from his body as he makes every strike. It gets to a point where it begins to go up into the thick fur about his neck and almost to his muzzle when he loses his hold and falls to his knees, he looking physically winded as the fire dies down to nothing, leaving him in just his fur. Not too far off his a bundle of clothing, more than likely left off to the side to keep from roasting his clothing. He began to stand and stretch, trying to shake off the fatigue as he looked about, thinking if he could do another fire practice or move to the next element. All the while, the sound of "PREPARE FOR WAR" rang in his ears. He knew it might be far off but couldn't really tell from where thanks to the natural echo of the bowl he had made for his training. "War? Who's going on about a war...?" he said to himself as he gathered his clothing, not yet sure if he should dress yet or keep with his regiment. Either way, the sound was making it hard to concentrate any more. He moved out of the magic made arena and could now hear the sound and thought maybe it would be good to see who or what was making such a racket. "Whoever it is...they need to keep quite...they're screwing me up..."

Reactions: WolfNightV4X1
Carsonagan burst through the small clearing into the arena, from the north side. "You, warrior, I am Carsonagan Haphaetus, Ghoul Caller of the Northern Villages. I come with word or war. Humans are building great machines and I believe plan to attack." he rambled, before gathering his wits enough to assess the area. It seemed a large training arena. He got a good look at the person he was talking to, and recognized him, even. But before he could utter another phrase, a familiar scent struck his nose and caused his body to shudder in ecstasy. It was cold, dark, and rotten. It was fresh death. He followed his nose to the body of a small bird, charred by the fire of Avonin's earlier attacks. He picked up the creature, still slightly feathered, and whispered in his strange necromantic tongue. The bird immediately sprung upright in his hand and flew away, to carry his message further south.

He turned back to the young wolf. "You, I recognize you. You are Avonin, yes?" he asked, pointing slowly walking towards him.

Wane lounged on a branch in the heart of the forest, one eye cracked open as he watched the other anthros. He rolled on his back and looked up at the stars, staring at each twinkling spot in the sky. He sighed deeply, his thoughts peaceful.

So it was a bit of a shock when shouts boomed through the forest

"PREPARE FOR WAR!"

Wane jumped in surprise, the branch creaked, his body tumbled into the air. In that moment he plummeted to the ground, righting his body at the last minute to clumsily land on his feet, he gasped when he impacted the ground in a crouch. His sapphire eyes watched as the forest dwellers reacted with equal surprise. Wide eyes, fur standing on end, and anthros mumbling loudly. Wane stood up, running through the forest, his ears swiveled to the origin of the booming command, trying to find his old friend.

"Carson!" he called, 'War? What war? There's going to be a war' The anthros were well aware of Carson's ability to prophesize through the dead, and it made everyone all the more alarmed. Wane's fur stood in hackles, and he swished his tail furiously, claws extended from his fingers. He'd need Carson to explain.

He knew one thing. If it was a war that humans want, it's a war they are going to get.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ann ran down the stairs, guards on her tail "Lady Annette! It goes against the kings orders for you to run off, you must return to the castle at once!". Ann paid no attention, continuing to run. She was still royalty, she could get away with disobeying orders with minor consequences. This was incredibly important, her heart pounded in her chest as she ran to the Mayhem engineer, casting her gaze behind her momentarily. She'd have to lose the guards first.

Since she had been back her father the king had noticed her absences through eyewitnesses, and disapproved of her wayward attitude. He ordered her to stay on the grounds of the castle. But she couldn't, not after what she had just heard.

She pressed her body against a stony building, holding her breath. The guards ran past unknowing of her existence. She stayed there a moment longer, then peered over the corner of the rock. Then she took off running, towards the renowned machine engineer. She made it to a sturdy wooden building, though the building wasn't the most impressive work. A large field spread beside it, and it's surface was occupied by wooden machines of war. Massive catapults and crossbows built with deadly intent. She made it to the door, her fist knocking furiously on the door and awaiting a reply.

Adric eyes blinked open when pounding erupted on his door, he lifted his head up from the cluttered table, where he had fallen asleep. A small fire in the corner illuminated his handiwork. He hastily got up from his sitting position and strode over to the door, opening it. Though he had never met her, one could always tell who the princess was. He blinked a moment, then spoke in a quiet tone "Princess Annette..." he said nonchalantly, though he was quite confused at her presence. Annette blurted out "You have already been ordered by the king?" Adric said nothing, just did a simple nod. Annette pleaded at him "You have to stop making your machines! We can't go to war! It solves nothing!"

Adric's dark eyes stared cooly at her, betraying none of his feelings. It had only been a few hours, but the king could feel trouble brewing, and the tides turning. The king issued a war to begin, and Adric was the first to be contacted to make the siege weapons. He had been busy all day and night putting them together and making them battle ready. He looked back at Annette, smoothly responding "Can't. Already made." He didn't have any desire to stop what he was doing. Politics bored him, to be honest he didn't know how evil the anthros are, he'd never met one. He didn't know if war was necessary or not.

Annette gasped "But the anthros aren't evil! I've read about it...and...it's just wrong! Have you seen the fox!" Annette bit her lip. She'd been reading the books all her life, and in her heart she knew the surreal tales weren't just fakes. She hadn't told anyone this, but the day of the foxes death, the stories became real. She had watched the guards drag the fox into the deep recesses of the jail. Later she dropped in the dark crypts, visiting the anthro locked away behind bars. She kneeled down in front of the bars, seeing the creature curled up and afraid, but it's eyes shown with an intelligence, the same intelligence that would be of humans.

She stared at the fox and he stared back, Ann frowned, looking at the fox apologetically. "I-I'm sorry. I wish there was something". The fox seemed to understand her sympathy, a smile crossing his face despite his situation. He nodded, "It's okay" he blinked, tears in his eyes "If I could only ask one favor..."

That was when she had taken the armband and returned it to the anthros. Ann's eyes began to stream with tears, "Please, we need to gain peace!" Adric looked up at the sky, pondering the turn of events "It will happen, Ann. Your peace will only come through war" he said assuredly. Maybe his indifference was detrimental, maybe Ann was right that the anthros weren't evil, there certainly wasn't any politics in her eyes. Nonetheless, he did mean what he said 'peace will only come through war.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ann, though disappointed by the lack of progress in stopping the war, made one last trip. She looked up at the gallows, the broken, dull body of the fox hanging limply. The body was scheduled to be burned in the morning. Carefully, she undid the noose, cradling the stiff body in her arms as if it was a child. She came down from the wooden structure, looking around warily. It would be tough to be unseen, but she knew how to work the system, and she knew how she could hide the body as she traveled.

The fox mentioned a friend of his before he died, that friend was a wolf anthro.

She knew what she would do. She would find a place to bury Crimsonpaw.

Avonin nodded at Carson, "Yeah, that's my name, though you don't ring too many bells...guess isolation made me forget a few faces..." he said in an irritated manor, not noticing the trick with the bird. He grumbled slightly under his breath as he was told of the coming battle, something he knew he was not prepared for like he should be but would more than likely be dragged into, "Are you sure it's a war? Or has someone just pissed off another farmer..." he said in a joking manner, a bit aloof to the situation but knowing that it was really bad if they were trying to get the word out, "Last I checked the humans were a little peeved that we were taking the forest, not taking up arms against us. Did we take one deer too many for there tastes?" he said as he picked up his things and smoothed back the fur atop his head, his maw forming a smirk as he looked to Carson.

Wane darted through the forest, dodging brush and leaves as he tracked the scent of Carson. He stopped with a halt, dust flying everywhere, when he came upon a clearing. There he found Carson, and another wolf anthro. He glared at Carsonagan "Hey gramps, are you just going to leave me hanging. A war? Really?" he stared at him, but momentarily gave the other wolf a glance and a brief nod, acknowledging his presence.

Still slightly rush-minded from his sprint through the forest, was caught off guard and unsure who to respond to first. Taking a deep breath, he decided to do both at the same time. "No, I saw it. Massive machines of war, capable of hurling bounders and shooting arrows the size of a pike. I'm assuming that they want to achieve peace through our eradication, to ease the tension by destroying the cause." he explained rather slowly, somewhat winded now that his wits had caught up with his body. He clutched the side of his head as an exhaustion headache grew and mumbled a few curses in his signature tongue.

Avonin sighed, thinking that this will get in the way of quite a few of his plans for himself, but there wasn't much he could do to stop it. He looked to the older looking wolf as he seemed rather winded, reaching into his pack that had in his hands and handed him a skin flask filled with water, "Well, if things are going to start getting bad for us, guess we have no choice but start preparing..." he then started putting on his pack and simple clothing to keep him at least slightly modest. "But I don't know where I should be going. My village was not too far off from once of the human settlements to the North, and if war is on the horizon, then there's no way I can make it there in time to help." he then looked to Wane, thinking he was from one of the more local villages, "Name's Avonin by the way. Think we can head to your village and help fortify or would running be the best option?" he asked as his tail wagged from anticipation.

Carson nodded thankfully and took a long drink from the flask. The water was crisp and cool, flowing down his throat with ease. He sighed with both relief and gratitude as he pulled it away from him, handing it back to Avonin. "My gratitude."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the depths of the Castle dungeon, the near incessant rambling of the old alchemist echoed through the long stone halls. The voice was almost indecipherable, being both quiet and reflected back to itself. What few words that could be understood spoke of war, peace, a long standing hatred, a mysterious light, and the fall of the kingdom. The voice was old and strained, as it had for the entire time it had been there. It was not just a mystic, disembodied voice, however. It belonged to Marlon the Inexplicable, once a renowned alchemist, now a husk of his former glory attempting to wade through the shadowed fog in his mind.

He was sitting currently in the far left corner of his cell, mumbling to himself. This was one of the times when the Fog consumed him, when he temporarily lost his grip on sanity. He rambled on quietly, much to the amusement and annoyance of his guards.

And then he shut up, his ramblings stopping just as quickly as they had started. His faintly glowing eyes widened as he was struck by... something. In a flash, he pulled a piece of chalk from his cloak and began writing in the walls and floor, and the ceiling when he could reach it.

His spout of silence and writing now over, he returned to his corner and began meditating.

Reactions: WolfNightV4X1
Wane nodded, "Name's Wane." he said, feeling a bit of the wolf's anticipation for battle in his mind he smirked, how odd that he'd be looking forward to annihilation; he liked his spirt. He began to turn tail and head toward the village, "Definitely a better option right now. Don't want to get smoked by the human's weird creations" he groaned at the thought of it, he had never seen one but he knew they were deadly crafted weapons that the Mayhem had refined for years.

When he returned to the village, the elders had managed to rally the Anthros and calm them down. The elders mumbled to themselves, planning within their inner circle as the others stood before them desperately awaiting a reply. Wane turned to Avonin "Running is no good, we should definitely fortify the village, stand our ground, and get ready for the battle to erupt".

He walked toward the elders, he spoke firmly to the aged rat, relaying his own plan of attack. He looked toward Avonin and nodded "We think it's the best plan. We have to resist them in any way possible" The gray-whiskered anthro nodded "Indeed, We will discuss that." The elder rat raised his voice to the crowd "Listen here people. The imminent war is coming. We've been oppressed by our rivals long enough, it is time we stand our ground and fight back". The crowd cheered, and as the clamor died down and another of the elders began to bark orders.

The elder turned to Wane and Avonin. "We'll be beginning to assemble for war. We could use some watches, stay on guard, let us know about the impending battle. If there is anything you can do to protect us then do so"

Wane bowed his head, then turned and looked back at Avonin, "Ready, dog?" he said, getting ready to sprint towards the edge of the forest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anne bowed her head at the freshly turned earth, "Rest in peace" she said to the deceased anthro.

She cast her gaze to the city hastily at work in the glare of the morning light. Soon there would be no stopping the imminent battle.

She watched as soldiers assembled, machines were manned, and villager of the right age requirements were given instructions for battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avonin took back his skin flask from Carson, putting it back in his pack as he saw wane ready to run to his village. He nodded to Carson, hoping he could gather himself and follow before any human war weapons would bring themselves to light in the forest. He went after Wane, looking upon the spectacle of the village and hearing the murmuring of the elders. In many ways he didn't truly care what they did, as long as they did something he'd at least attempt assisting them. Once they decided on fortifying the area, he nodded, "If you want to make this place as defensible as possible you may need to set up barriers and traps, even a wall could help..." he said as he thought out loud, he thinking his earth techniques could help, but he'd have to take it easy, so as not to reach his limit and pass out...again.

But when the talk of guards came about, Avonin cringed, "Guard duty? I'd rather meet the damn bastards at there line." he said as a slight flare showed on his paw as he spoke, his eagerness to fight showing through his magic as fire started to run up his fingers and travel up his wrist, "But if you need us there fine. Though I can't make any promises about making a few humans sizzle in there skin before I'm done..." he said with a growl, his fangs forming into a smile as he imagined how his performance would go over against an actual human.

Status
Not open for further replies.