Of Dragons and Riders IC

Kitty paused at the thought of the rough scales harming her, what could she use to prevent that? "I was fine that first time, wasn't I?" She asked setting her backpack down and rummaging through it for a spare blanket. "Aha!" She held up a worn blanket triumphantly from her pack. The blanket found, she began setting up a saddle of sorts to prevent Onixa's scales form rubbing her legs raw.

"Now I'm ready!" Kitty said clambering up to the spot where she had first sat on her first flight.

The great beast was visible. If only he could get closer to it and aim to its eye. A clear shot could at least leave it blinded for a moment for him to slay his head or wound him badly. The only problem for Roth was that this beast of ancient times was taling to someone...and he clearly didn't like that. It was the second dragon he had seen in a day and he surely wasn't going to lose his chance to kill it. With a deep breath, he let himself fall from the top of the tree he was grabbing onto and made his way down. The branches hit his sides and face, but the adrenaline that ran through his veins barely detected the harm done to his body.

There was a thud when he landed on the ground, and the air around him almost seemed to leave as he made a run to the direction he knew the dragon was. I'll have to kill whoever is with that thing, too. Pity, may God bless the soul of the person who found that beast. Roth wiped his face with the back of his hand and gripped tightly the bow and arrow in the other one.

He was near, he knew he could almost feel the scales of the mighty beast in his hands. The only thing that didn't fit the picture when he finally got into shooting range and he could fully set his eyes on the dragon, was the young lady with the bow and arrow, aiming at the head of the dragon. Or maybe it does fit the picture. A wicked smile adorned the ancient warrior's face. He couldn't help himself when he yelled: "Do it! Shoot him straight and clean! Take this beast's vision!" But it surely had to be the most stupid thing he could say in a moment like that.

"Krosis - My apologies. In my tale of his vengeful desire, I lost sight of what our previous tiimvock earlier." he said as he turned to face Elizabeth. She was slightly educated on his language, but not enough to understand it like a scholar. Centuries back, dragons possessed a language only their kind could understand. It was a secure way to keep hidden within these lands, protecting them from prying ears of the deceptive.

"Yol", he said with a grin, means fire. And "Aan" means honor. The prefixes together in our language means: Honored flame." The secret Einarth was keeping about that one word was that he'd call his old rider that. She was hot headed, courageous, and ambitious just like Elizabeth. It was only right that her decendant recive her ancestor's honorable title. He had no doubt in his mind that Elizabeth would bring great reputation to the name. As for him, his name as the "Shadow Wing" was name enough for this world. The rest would have to be silent for now. At least until the world was ready for the return of dragons.

"Krosis. I wish you could have witnessed your world as I once did as a young dragon. My people ruled both the land and the air at the top of the food chain, harmony at it's best...."

Elizabeth tilted her head a little as she listened to him, picking up on words that he used that she didn't recognize. Judging by how he used them, she could guess what they meant. It was exciting, in a way - learning a whole new language from a dragon. She smiled up at him and blushed as he described what Yolaan had meant. It didn't really make sense to her why he would give her such a nickname.

"I don't think I deserve a name like that," she said, shaking her head a little as she remained curled up in his talons. When he started speaking again, she couldn't help but smile. It sounded beautiful, even from that small tidbit. She could almost see the world spread before her the way that Einarth must remember it.

"Will you tell me about it, Einarth?" she asked sleepily, wanting to hear tales of how the world once was. She yawned and closed her eyes, content and warm.

Craning her long, serpentine neck around to look at the makeshift saddle, Onixa huffs a breath of white smoke. -A blanket shall do fine for you as long as I keep my scales from...preening.- It's not like the girl is going to fall. The dragon could probably do a backflip without causing the young woman's legs to slip from her shimmering scales. A power possessed only by the more...skilled of beasts. Of course, there are none left but herself, so she has nothing to truly compare herself to. But that is, in fact, how she sees it.

Securing her concentration on the creature on her back, she arches gracefully, wings spreading, tail flicking in anticipation. But before she takes off, even as her muscles bunch up beneath her new rider, she pauses taking in the moment before flight. And then, just like that, she leaps for the skies, clawing at the air as she climbs higher and higher.

-I do hope you are a good hunter, for I cannot possibly hunt for the both of us. We need to find...a common ground for that, especially since I have yet to eat this night.-
Her silvery eyes look back at Kitty, appearing bright, as if to portray the dragon's inner laughter. Of course, Onixa would laugh on the inside, but rarely on the outside. She can't even remember the last time she's laughed...

She turns her head back to look out through the night's air, taking a deep breath as she levels out and pushes towards the trees opposite of her resting place. There should be much game there, and she wishes to sate her grumbling belly, silently hoping that her new rider feels the same.

Kitty took a good second look at the blanket she was using as a saddle when Onixa commented on it. She blinked at the clouds of white smoke and giggled at the comment. "Preening? Like a bird? That's nice to know. Oh!" Kitty clenched her knees tightly as Onixa spread her wings and leapt for the sky. Her eyes closed involuntarily and she gasped with surprise as for the second time in her life, she flew. After a few minutes, Kitty opened her eyes to the cool wind and the sensation of flying high near the stars.

She whooped and flung her hands in the air laughing and gazing with wonder at the stars above. She almost missed it when Onixa began talking again, but it was kinda hard to miss a voice resounding in your head that sounded as if the creature was laughing. She quieted up and listened, sinking into thought.

Hunting was not something she exceled at, normally she healed the hunter not hunt, but! There where a few things she knew of that could help feed her and Onixa. "Hm...I'm good at getting fish! Hunting deer and stuff is not my specialty but if we worked together, I'm sure we can feed ourselves." in her mind she went over the uses of walnut husks, one of which was as a poison that paralyzed fish when tossed into a creek or pond

Xeri listened to the dragon's words that echoed and rambled through her head. The voice was quickly dissected as a man's voice, a man who had seen years and things that were better left to rot in the soil beneath their feet. Surprising enough, she still hadn't screamed out in fear at the fact that she was facing a dragon. Her bow was still next to her and in good distance for her to shoot. There were questions upon questions as to why the beast was able to talk to her, but a dead dragon couldn't answer a word. For the moment, and until Xeri had some sort of clue what direction her day had just took, Xeri had to keep her fingers to herself and off of the rope of the bow.

"Enfyra. I have never heard of the name before, and it doesn't match up to the language here. You must not be from these parts. Why are you here now?" Her voice was tight with superiority even if it was clear she was the one at an disadvantage. Enfyra was huge, big enough to blow her half way across the forest with a snort from his large nostrils. With that thought in mind, Xeri made sure to dig the soles of her feet somewhere deep in the forest floor, just to keep her on ground level. Her demand quickly went answered when he said something about her being his Rider. She opened her mouth to ask how Enfyra managed to find out her name, but he simply dismissed her by booming his voice through her mind.

She listened intently, though her mind was not completely into it. It was back with the roast and her grandfather. Was the old man okay or had he somehow managed to set the cottage on fire? The thought of fire brought her attention back to Enfyra, her nose upturned in disbelief.

"You mean to tell me that you are my dragon, and I....ride you?"she tilted her head to make her question seem more ridiculous than it actually was. "I understand but have no wish to be on your backside. I have a roast cooking." Xeri lied through her teeth, of course, but she did have the roast to tend to. She turned around and didn't bother to send Enfyra off with even the smallest of goodbyes. Besides, Enfyra couldn't do anything to keep her there.

...Could he?

Speechless. That was the only word that could describe what Roth was feeling. The young woman, that had bow arrow in hand just like him, was leaving. Just like that. That was good because she didn't accept the fact that the mighty scaly beast in front of them had told her she was its Rider.The highest rank a Dragon would ever give a human. On the other hand, she was leaving because she had a roast cooking. Roth had never heard such an excuse, not even something similar as to when he had to go to war with his soldiers. "We both can kill this beast! Why in the name of God would a woman leave a battle like this with such an excuse!" He turned as the beast seemed to start rising on its hind legs. With an arrow in the bow he aimed to the beast, waiting for the first of various strikes he knew it would be difficult to evade.

The giggle from Kitty makes Onixa want to smile, but the most that happens only in the dragon's grand silver eyes as she launches into the skies. The feeling of flight has the beast's nostrils flaring to better take in the scents, the silver light of the moon glinting from her shimmering scales. ~Yes, preening...like a bird. I am a strange one, I must say. But do you not enjoy the thought of having a unique dragon to call your friend? Simple is boring, and I am far from a simple one...wouldn't you agree?~ Again, there's laughter in Onixa's eyes as she looks back at her new rider, her claws grasping for air as she continues to gain height.

Upon levelling out, Onixa cranes her head around to better look at Kitty, who now begins to holler into the skies, arms extended towards the twinkling stars above. For some reason, the great dragon cannot help but feel happy about this...Kitty is much like herself in the fact that she enjoys the night...but more than that...she is not afraid to fly. And that is always a bonus when looking for a rider. Probably why Onixa even offered the girl the position. But as Onixa looks back at that fresh memory, she cannot remember her own reasoning for wanting a strange human as a rider...when she has always been the solitary type.

When Kitty begins to speak again, Onixa takes in the girl's words, looking out across the trees below her. What she needs to find is the lake....or at the very least a river. That way water is readily available, and Kitty can use all of her abilities. ~We shall find a place to stay when the day comes, but for tonight I will hunt for us...I will usually eat two or three deer on my own...and whatever else we can catch I will give to you.~ With that in mind, she begins scanning the land for small clusters of does, as this is the breeding season for that type of animal.

A group of five stand grazing in a small clearing, one with a baby at her side. More meat for Onixa...and even some for her new rider. There shall be a feast tonight! But before she can dive, she looks at her rider, slowing her flight pace down to a hover just above the clearing (thank the gods that her wings are silent), motioning towards her prey below. ~Ready yourself, Kitty. It is time to see if you are compatable with my hunting style.~

And with that, Onixa dives.

Momentarily stunned by the response Xeri gave him, Enfyra watched the girl who could understand him, who had probably just seen her first dragon in her life turn and leave. For what? A roast? He had half a mind to roast her for willingly walking away from him over such a thing! Before he could even chase after her, the voice of a man boomed through the trees. Had his plan to draw Xeri to him brought unwanted attention?

With a short run and a single leap he was able to place himself between the source of the voice and Xeri, placing her at half his body length behind him. "It looks like you were followed." he spoke to her, rising up onto his hind legs alone to browse the trees more effectively. A second shout from him reached Enfyra's ears, giving away the voice owner's position. Enfyra quickly spotted him, even seemed to recognize him. There was a strong sense of malice coming from him as well. His words, his posture. That was when Enfyra noticed the bow he was carrying, similarly to Xeri. He was a threat.

It was actually quite a clever place to deal with a dragon. Unless he intended to set the woods ablaze, Enfyra would have to rely on his claws and teeth to deal with him instead of his fiery breath. Unfortunately, Enfyra simply didn't care! He had destroyed the entire mountain range he called home over a fit of rage. What did he care for these trees? With little excess movement other than opening his mouth a violent stream of flame shot toward the man with the bow.

With a war cry, Roth leaped forward as the flames came rushing towards him. A great blaze that could have been in the entrance of Hell itself. Unfortunately his arrow fired upwards and not to the target it was intended to go. As he rolled away from the reach of the fire, he tried reaching for another arrow. The trees around them started to set ablaze, starting a chain reaction all around them that would later turn the forest into a complete chaos. Panting and sweating, the old warrior looked up, squinting his eyes to get a nice look at the Dragon he was dealing with. The girl? Where was she now? He surely had no knowledge about that now. The only thing he was sure about now was that he was confronting a at least 50 feet tall beast, like he used to do long time ago.

[Just curious if people plan on getting this back going. I'm assuming not, but if others really want to, please let me know ^_^; I only ask because I want to know if I should archive it now or not instead of waiting for it to be a month stale xD]