2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
TOURNAMENTS THREAD
DUNGEON THREAD
RESORT THREAD
CHARACTER THREAD
COMBAT TEST THREAD

Welcome! In addition to the Iwaku rules, please follow these of my own:
No discussing real world hot-topic issues, such as politics, religion, or other things that may cause arguments.
Do please respect your other players, and my role as GM.
Don't be afraid to chat or ask questions! I love it!

Please at least one paragraph per post, do your best to keep the scene moving.
Please do your best with punctuation and grammar!
There is no posting order, and you are allowed to post to keep conversations moving, but please be courteous and limit yourself if it is only you and someone else.

Please do not post characters in this thread.
You may have up to 3 characters active in a single tournament. Other characters not in the tournament may still interact in the resort

(Many of the rules about rolling will only be used by me. However, die rolls and effects will be listed out in the post, so if I make a mistake you might catch it and correct me)

Combat is done in a turn-based format. Each player types out one post which details the response to the last round, as well as the character's actions for the current round. You may not control your opponent's character in any way, unless permission is given. You may also not emote any attacks landing, as the occurrences of each combat round is determined by dice, and will be emoted in the GM post.

In combat, each round a character may choose an action:
ALL-OUT ATTACK - 2 Attack dice
BALANCED - 1 Attack die 1 Defense die
TOTAL DEFENSE - 2 Defense Dice (This action may only be used twice in a row)
Or they may activate one of their special abilities.

(Defensive abilities that are not agressed upon will not activate cooldown)

Even Rolls (2,4,6,8,10) are successes, odd rolls (3,5,7,9,11) all fail.
1's are Critical Fails, 12's are Critical Success

1 Attack deals 1 health
1 Defense protects 1 health
Crit Attack deals 2 health
1 Attack and 1 Defense cancel out
Critfail Attack causes 1 health to attacker
Defense makes Crit Attack deal 1 health
Crit Defense cancels Crit Attack
Crit Defense deals counter vs normal attack
Critfail Defense allows a counter vs Successful Defense
Critfail Defense makes a successful attack a Crit

HEALTH CONDITIONS
Healthy -> Slightly Wounded -> Wounded -> Heavily Wounded -> Near Defeat -> Defeated
9hp -> 8/7hp -> 6/5hp -> 4/3hp -> 2/1hp -> 0hp (Dead)

WINS AND PROGRESSION
In general, the characters will 'level' in a balanced manner. The farther a character gets in a tournament, the more of their gear they can make look 'fancy' with no real gameplay difference. The winning character(s) of a tournament will get something new and fancy (still with no mechanical benefit), possibly progress towards 'win-locked goals' and must sit out for the next tournament. Other characters will also gain new gear for participation if they haven't won in a while
LOSSES - In most cases, battle losses will have no consequences beyond being out of the tournament. However, if decided upon by the players in one match, the loser may have to give up one item, may become inactive for a number of tournaments, or even be killed outright

Last edited:
OOC Battle Practice Round 1
Arena 1 - Sail vs Neil
@Sail @Tiguidi
Terrain: Open Arena
Weather: Overcast Evening
Sail -> 2 Attack Dice (4/8)
Neil -> 1 Attack Die/1 Defense Die (1/9)

End Result
Sail -> 5 HP / Wounded - Lethal Explosion Mode Cooldown (2)
Neil -> -1 HP / Defeated - Orbital Defense Cooldown (1)

Sail would be able to slam her lances into a large stone each, both of which were sent slamming into Neil's barrier. They didn't penetrate, but the barrier flickered and died. And as Neil tried to lift stones with his power, he overloaded.​

OOC Battle Practice
Arena: Open Arena
Weather: Slightly Overcast

Sail watched as the two rocks crashed into his barrier; they shattered, exploding in a shower of grey dust. She was thankful they didn't penetrate, for she knew it would have been a gory sight indeed.

She fired a light lance without a hook at the end of it towards Neil. "Grab on to it! I'll pull you down."

OOC Battle Practice

Neil widened his eyes as cracks appeared on his barrier, threatening to break while being in-between the two large pieces of rock. Fortunately, the debris shattered first, sending smaller fragments everywhere around him. As he was about to go on the offensive again, a searing pain went through his head as his barrier immediately dissipated. "Did I actually... overuse my powers...?", he weakly let out as he fell to his knees, his strength completely drained.

He was pulled out of his thoughts when he noticed the lance land near him. "... Looks like I lost, huh..? Oh well..." As the battle was now over, Neil accepted the results and grabbed onto the lance, allowing himself to be pulled down.

OOC Battle Practice

"Neil, you put up a great fight. Your biggest flaw is that you are reactive, not proactive. Try seeing where your opponent will go next," Sail let her helmet retract, and flashed him a smile, "If you ever want to work on learning strategy, you can always find me in the resort. Maybe I can help you reach you full potential."

OOC Battle Practice

"That's... good to know. Truth be told, espers are pretty rare where I came from and when we do fight, it's normally only a matter of who can lift the biggest rocks.", he half-joked, wincing as chuckling made his stomach hurt. "But I'll keep that in mind, thanks."

OOC Battle Practice 1 - Sail emerges victorious!

So. How was that for you two? @Sail @Tiguidi

I absolutely loved it!

Yeah, same! ^^

Alrighty then!

Combat Test Thread is up, so we don't clog OOC with combat! @Sail @Tiguidi either of you wanna battle?

Also the dungeon thread is up! Please add "Dungeon Level: 1" below your character's status @Tiguidi @Sail and if you're interested in a delve, please let me know!

@XycloneKiller

A few comments/questions that we may need to change

Throw - I think it would be better if we swap the crit 'injury chance' for perhaps something like, if the attack lands (damage or no) then the opponent next turn fails on 10 and 2. Or maybe fails on 2 and cannot crit. Something like that?

Bum Rush - what is a succession roll? The way I understand it, you get 3 guaranteed dice, and then I roll another die. If that die comes up successful, then a roll another die for a fourth attack? If so, that's fine. I just want to make sure I understand

Missile Barrage - Were you thinking that each die being a missile might cause a mechanical difference? It's fine as it is, I just want to know what you were thinking

Armor - Would you like a mechanical benefit from this? Something I thought of is like, if Xy gets hit while not rolling any defense dice, then I roll. And if that roll is successful, then I roll a single defense die. Something like that?

@XycloneKiller

A few comments/questions that we may need to change

Throw - I think it would be better if we swap the crit 'injury chance' for perhaps something like, if the attack lands (damage or no) then the opponent next turn fails on 10 and 2. Or maybe fails on 2 and cannot crit. Something like that? I am fine with whichever you believe to be more beneficial. I was originally thinking that, depending on die size, the top one or two digits of that dice be a damage causing hit whereas a success would just be tossing them away/into something.

Bum Rush - what is a succession roll? The way I understand it, you get 3 guaranteed dice, and then I roll another die. If that die comes up successful, then a roll another die for a fourth attack? If so, that's fine. I just want to make sure I understand The first three dice are for if the attack is successful in general. The fourth is just like you said. It would transition to him being close enough to attack with his bare fists for a final assault.

Missile Barrage - Were you thinking that each die being a missile might cause a mechanical difference? It's fine as it is, I just want to know what you were thinking Each die represents one missile, so like any number of the four could be a potential hit or miss.

Armor - Would you like a mechanical benefit from this? Something I thought of is like, if Xy gets hit while not rolling any defense dice, then I roll. And if that roll is successful, then I roll a single defense die. Something like that? That would be along the lines of what I was thinking. My wording is just not that great XD. Though the armor would only be effective in the areas he has armor. Boots up to knees, half breast plate (stops at bottom of ribcage) and the shoulder guards that just cover his shoulders (Stopping at the beginning of biceps)
@Mythy the Dragon-Wolf
Sorry about all the confusion, I have placed me responses above. Please let me know if there is anything you would like to discuss further.

@XycloneKiller

For throw, I think that probably changing it to be like, maybe a crit deals 3 damage or something I said above would be easier than implementing an injury system. Same with armor and the fact we don't really have a way to say 'this is where I hit'. So I think that, if you can add the effect I said (if no defense dice are rolled, and you get hit, roll a die to see if you gain a free defense die) that'd be great.

And for the missiles, that's actually what each die is - a hit or a miss. So it works out fine.

If you could make those two edits and let me know when you have, I can give him a final look-over before approving! (Though depending on balance, abilities may be changed upon fights. Because it's hard to perfectly balance without seeing things in action xD)

@Mythy the Dragon-Wolf

Made updates for your approval. I made throws crit a 1 damage as a success would not cause damage normally, just lob them a distance from him. For armor, I changed it to a chance to protect if defense is not selected or fails. My overall idea for this is not that the armor prevents all damage when passively activated but to lessen the blow but as GM I would let you have finally say on how it works.

I may just be over thinking all this stuff XD I keep thinking to D&D with the dice rolls, so like the armor would be like a D6 6 = 50% 4-5 = 25% 1-3 = 0%

Hey, a new contestant! :D

@XycloneKiller I will admit that I'm not sure what use throw is as it is now, since we don't really have distance rules.

As well I'm not sure how to mess around with the percentages for the armor.

Sorry if I'm being difficult. And sorry for the long delay, I'm at work

@Mythy the Dragon-Wolf

No worries, I'm at work too. Throw is really nothing more than a way to create space, a content generator if you will. Like if it succeeds and he throws them X feet, the opposition would have to write about how they return. Now, if that's not going to work or too difficult, then we can change it to a more physical effect like damage and stagger.

The percentage is just an idea. You can do it how you like. I just figured something like weakening a heavy blow to some degree with him still taking damage as to prevent overpowering or godlike abilities.

From the way I see it, Throw's special quality is that it causes 3 damage instead of 2 on a crit. The flavor such as distance and such will be resolved rp-wise instead of having a mechanical difference.

Bum Rush's special quality is that should there be at least one hit, Xy would be allowed an additional attack die.

I feel like Missile Barrage is straightforward enough.

Armor may just have attacks made against him miss on a 2.

Reactions: XycloneKiller
Also, just as a heads up to everyone, I changed Neil's first ability. It still includes levitation in the flavor but I changed it to give it a more active aspect.

@XycloneKiller

Pretty much what @Tiguidi said about throw, since distance is flavor and not mechanical, something like Throw dealing 3 on a crit makes more sense to me. You lose a die but on a good crit you can overpower even 2 successful defense dice

I also agree that just making it a 3+1 attack where you get +1 attack if any of the three hit makes it a bit simpler. Or even make it an attack where you keep rolling until you miss. But yeah.

Missiles is fine, and I think having what @Tiguidi offered for armor is easiest for everyone