NULLUS SANCTUS - The Q&A: Ask Questions Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fijoli

Original poster
What is The Divine Comedy?
Ozzie Says:
It's an allegorical poem about a man traversing Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven. This RP takes a lot of inspiration from the work. It's okay if you haven't read it, but I'm judging you.

Wikipedia said:
The Divine Comedy (Italian: Divina Commedia) is an epic poem written by Dante Alighieri between c. 1308 and his death in 1321. It is widely considered the preeminent work of Italian literature,[1] and is seen as one of the greatest works of world literature.[2] The poem's imaginative and allegorical vision of the afterlife is representative of the medieval world-view as it had developed in the Western Church by the 14th century. It helped establish the Tuscan dialect, in which it is written, as the standardized Italian language.[3] It is divided into three parts: Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso.

On the surface, the poem describes Dante's travels through Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven;[4] but at a deeper level, it represents, allegorically, the soul's journey towards God.[5] At this deeper level, Dante draws on medieval Christian theology and philosophy, especially Thomistic philosophy and the Summa Theologica of Thomas Aquinas.[6] Consequently, the Divine Comedy has been called "the Summa in verse".[7]

The work was originally simply titled Commedìa and was later christened Divina by Giovanni Boccaccio. The first printed edition to add the word divina to the title was that of the Venetian humanist Lodovico Dolce,[8] published in 1555 by Gabriele Giolito de' Ferrari.
What is Devil-lore?
Fijo Says:
Devil-lore is a folkloric depiction of Biblical demons which relies on a reference-based knowledge of demonology and a prophetic writing style.

Ozzie Says:
It's okay. I didn't know what it was either.
What is this roleplay about?
Fijo Says:
A journey split into three sections. Some characters will advance to Hell from Limbo and others will stay to carry out the storyline in Limbo, and so on with Hell. Nullus Sanctus is a campaign through one nightmare after another: the ones you create for yourself and the ones we create for you.

Lstorm Says:
It is a journey of survival, character development and difficult decisions. Your characters will be fighting to make their way to salvation, and in the process, they will change in ways that will either enrich them or twist them into shadows of their former selves.

Ozzie Says:
Angels, demons, and horror. Didn't you read the Lore?
Is this like Ilium?
Ozzie Says:
NO. While still considered a "mass roleplay", this roleplay is structured very differently and won't have the same scale in terms of player-base. We're doing our own thing here.

Fijo Says:
No. Ilium was open to all members, regardless of writing level, save for beginners. Also not in any way Horror-related. For members who enjoy High Fantasy, Ilium is the RP for you. If you are a member that enjoys death, the unsettling, and Horror then Nullus Sanctus is more your bag. Think of Nullus Sanctus as an outlet for your hate and misery. If you are a fluffy person and can't handle tragedy or feeling very VERY deeply without spiraling into a depression, you should not join this RP. We are also cutting off our accepted applicants at 35 players. Those accepted will be put onto a waiting list that will be posted and showcased. Good character production beyond the 35 players will be acknowledged. We want players who are interested in this genre and will help us to move along the story through sacrifice of character and abstract thinking.
Who's in charge? If I have a question, who do I ask?
Fijo Says:
I am. I am the Game Master. Myself and the Co-GMs Grumpy, Lstorm, and Ozzie are in charge of this operation and will see to it that you get your Horror jollies this season.

Ozzie Says:
I'm the guy going over your character sheets with a fine-toothed comb. I eat people who ask me questions that are already answered here. I also eat people who send me messages just to ask when I'm going to approve them.

Lstorm Says:
I am the person who is responsible for twisting your dreams into the most bizarre nightmares one can imagine. If you ever find that a toddler your character just saved suddenly rips their heart out through their ribs, blame me. I am also one of the people that helps in constructing the setting as well as building the three worlds, and someone who will eagerly answer any questions you might have.

Grumpy is also a moderator of this roleplay and will be assisting in various capacities. Please treat him with the same respect as the GM and Co-GMs.
What writing level is required?
Fijo Says:
Intermediate --> Adept

Ozzie Says:
We'll allow intermediate-level posting, but making sure you can at least adhere to Adept expectations is a safer bet. You can check out the posting expectation levels here.

Lstorm Says:
In short, we expect good grammar and spelling, contributions to the plot, and posts that move the group forward. Active contributions to the world or independent subplots are not required, but are encouraged as long as they do not derail the main story.
What kind of content is allowed?
Fijo Says:
NSFW.
Some content will include trigger topics, unsettling situations, extreme sexual themes, and body horror. This will not be an RP for the faint of heart.

Ozzie Says:
This is NOT an excuse for you guys to write filthy smut. Sexual themes and sex scenes are allowed but this should not make up the bulk of your post. We encourage use of spoilers or warnings for posts including prolonged sexual scenes. If we judge that your posts amount to cybering (back-and-forth extended sex scenes, particularly one-liners), you will be asked to delete your posts and given a warning. You can always do a one-on-one "off-screen" scene in the Libertine section if you really want, but this isn't the place.
Is there a trigger tag list that players can use in their posts?
Fijo Says:
You can always hide your scene within a labeled spoiler. Always make your spoilers start with "NSFW"; this makes it legal for us to post such topics. It should look something like this. While these are just a few labels on the list I believe Ozzie Chanter will give us a colorful list to use. Don't know the spoiler BB code? Here is the entire list of them. This content list update should also help you out.

EXAMPLES:
You were warned. The label says body horror.
Prepare your asses.
*Insert over-the-top bloody scene here*
OMG HE ATE TIMMY!!!

Ozzie Says:
This isn't an absolute rule, but Fijo's suggestions are a good approach. You can also put tags at the top of your post in big red letters or something.

EXAMPLE TAGS: Abuse, Body Horror, Cannibalism, Character Death, Child Abuse, Dubious Consent, Gore, Graphic Violence, Incest, Jail Bait, Mental Illness, Mindfuck, Rape, Sexual Content, Sexual Themes, Torture.

Remember, you're not required to use content warnings (except for when it comes to explicit sex scenes), but if you think it might be triggering then it's your responsibility.
If I cannot read a post because of its contents, will there be a place where I can ask for a summary of that post?
Fijo Says:
The Spoiler NSFW '___' labels should tell you all you need to know, but if you are having trouble connecting the dots or it just happens to be a very sore subject for you, use the OOC to ask for a brief synopsis.

Ozzie Says:
I encourage everyone to read posts regardless of content. This roleplay is going to be uncomfortable. It's going to be gross. Part of the journey is for you to face these horrors just as much as your characters will.
I'm under 18. Can I play?
Fijo Says:
Yes, why yes, you can most certainly play after your application has been approved.

Ozzie Says:
As long as you are at least 16. We'll be monitoring who is in which age group to make sure that no one is breaking any rules, but we'd appreciate if you made it easy on us by not breaking them.
I'm under 16. Why can't I play?
Fijo Says:
If you are under the age of 16, you cannot participate in Nullus Sanctus. I feel that due to the nature of the content it would be unwise of me to roleplay this content with anyone under the age of 16.

Lstorm Says:
This roleplay heavily focuses on explicit themes, whether they be sexual or horror-oriented. The general atmosphere is going to be dark, hopeless, grim, triggering and nightmarish. These themes are not only tough to handle, but also tough to stomach, so I feel that it is better that we do not allow younger people to join.

Ozzie Says:
Sorry guys. We're already bending the rules.
I am going to be 16 in (insert a short amount of time here). Can I play?
Fijo Says:
If you are not 16 by All Hallows Eve then you cannot play, but if your birthday happens to fall between now and Halloween, you may state this on your application and submit a character for approval.

Ozzie Says:
This isn't your last chance to apply either, though. You can and will have the opportunity to apply once you've had your birthday, if it happens while the game is still running.
A friend and I are in different age groups. Can we still write an erotic scene together?
Fijo Says:
NO. Please refrain from sexual depictions with players not within your age group. We will be watching and this is your chance to prove you can be trusted. Please do not break this rule.

Ozzie Says:
ALL site-wide policies apply here, especially that one.
My character was rejected! Why?
Fijo Says:
If your character was rejected, you are not meeting requirements and the GM and Co-GMs reserve the right to reject any application for any reason.

Lstorm Says:
You either broke one of the rules or we do not feel that you are appropriate for the role you play, or we feel that you do not meet our requirements. In either case, we will inform you about our decision and the reason you were rejected.

Ozzie Says:
We'll tell you when we decline your app. I swear it's not because I hate you (probably).
Can I submit a new/edited character after being rejected?
Fijo Says:
If your character was rejected you may create a new character or follow the advice of the GMs reviewing your application. You can submit a new/edited application.

Ozzie Says:
Unless you were rejected because you're breaking the rules. In which case, please don't.
How many characters can I play at once?
Fijo Says:
One. As we start out and try to get a feel for this RP we will stick to one character per player. If a player shows devotion and really brings something extra to the story, then my Co-GMs and I will discuss the possibility of this player getting a second character to play with.
Do I have a say in my character's death, or is that in the hands of the GMs?
Lstorm Says:
It is a little bit of both. You can kill your character off yourself if you wish to, but a GM can do so as well. Do not worry; we will make sure that your character dies a meaningful death. Or not.

Fijo Says:
If you happen to prove yourself unable to handle this mature RP the four of us will make a judgment call in which we will give you the choice to hand your character over to us to use in the story, or kill it off. We encourage character death to be done at the hands and creativeness of the creator but if we have to step in we will.

Ozzie Says:
I can't stress enough that this is a horror RP with a high chance of character death. Sometimes, the GMs WILL kill off characters for the sake of the story. Your application to play constitutes consent for the GMs to decide your character's fate. If you cannot handle the idea of your character dying, don't bother applying.
I killed off my character. What now?
Lstorm Says:
I get a new soul to torment, and you get to submit a new character.

Fijo Says:
You still have the option to create and submit an entirely new character sheet to the GMs for approval.

Ozzie Says:
Use the form!
How many times can I kill off my character?
Fijo Says:
Endlessly. If you want to create a character just to die for every post you make then go for it. Be mindful of the GMs' advice and criticism no matter what, though. All characters have to be approved first before they can make an appearance in the story. Make sure you communicate with the GMs and state your characters' purposes clearly.

Ozzie Says:
How many times can I kill off your character?

Lstorm Says:
While you definitely should expect your character to die, please let it be meaningful or at least significant. If I see someone killing off their characters every few posts, then I will personally hunt them down and treat them to a twenty-four-hour lecture involving the structure of the classic drama so that they understand the significance of character death.
I do not think that my character should have died! Can I do something about that?
Ozzie Says:
Probably not.

Fijo Says:
You must give permission for the death of your character to be done by another player's hand. As GMs we reserve the right to kill off your character for any reason we deem necessary. If your character dies and you really come to regret this, make a plea to the GMs; if your idea is creative enough and spices up our story, then we may grant a resurrection, but don't count on it. Once a character is lost, we would like for everyone to make use of the recreation character system we have in place.

Lstorm Says:
What Fijoli means is that we will only accept characters avoiding their own deaths is if you can come up with a very solid reason for it that fits well with the theme and the atmosphere of the story. It is very unlikely to happen, though. Another character killing yours off without your permission is a different thing, and you need to take this to us; however, the decision of the GMs or you killing off your own character is almost definitely final.
If I drop out of the roleplay, can I come back?
Fijo Says:
I'm going to say no, if you drop out of Nullus Sanctus, there is no coming back. Think very hard about wanting to leave, as we will have a waiting list of members who will take your place. We are keeping this RP to a 35 player max. So if you leave, the choice is yours, just know there will be a high possibility you may not be able rejoin. If you are having personal issues we are sorry, but we have to be fair to those who get put on the waiting list.

Ozzie Says:
Of course, if there is room to take you back, that's a different story. Feel free to message and ask anyway.
What is the posting expectation for Nullus Sanctus?
Fijo Says:
We require that you limit yourselves to one post per week. NO MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK. I strictly stand by this so that it will help everyone stay organized and gathered and in the hopes it frees up more time in the week to discuss ideas/plots in OOC with all of the players.
I am having a RL ordeal and can't post once a week. What do I do?
Fijo Says:
Tell us. Mention that you have RL things to deal with in the OOC or let one of us know and you will be granted a 3-week period to get your affairs in order. If you do not keep communication open within the OOC or with the GMs, within this time period you will be dropped from the RP and your slot will be filled by a player on the waiting list.

Ozzie Says:
All we need is a heads-up.

Have a question? Don't see it here? Ask away in this thread!

Can I sign up in a holding pattern...of sorts?

We're moving into our new house on the 25th so I don't anticipate any issues but i'd hate to prevent someone where from taking part if I had to withdraw last minute.

Though, I suppose that is when the waiting list would be utilized. Nm. -_-

Very excited for this rp and will start working on my cs & resume. Awesome job with the setup!

I'm interested in this rp. I want a character who is both fun and kinda easy to roleplay as. What position would you suggest for me? And what alignment would be most fun for them?

hi! I'm also very interested in this RPG, may I join? :] I'm a little busy nowadays, but I should be able to manage a post once a week.. :] the only thing that really concerns me is that I suffer from mild dyslexia and though I spell check..some things do escape the next..would this be a large issue? I don't want to hold anyone back or dampen the awesomeness of the rp because of my..me-ness.. so I thought I'd better ask to be safe :]

sorry for the dumb question..

Reactions: WarriorHeart
I have moved all of your questions to the Q&A thread. Please Read over these Questions and Answers that we have provided.

@Sepdemonium The only way to know is to fill out the application and submit both parts for approval. We look forward to reviewing your application :)

@GeminasM I Implore that you make the choice yourself. Which role do you like the most? Which alignment would benefit the character you create? If approved, you will be expected to create more characters after this one dies. So create a character that you will not become attached too, make sure their strengths and flaws are balanced, and have fun with it.

@WarriorHeart We have a one post a week maximum, and if you need extra time beyond the 4 weeks we give just keep in touch with us and we will see what we can do. We look forward to reviewing your application as well.

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 people
@Sepdemonium

Spelling and typos aren't really that big of a deal. What's more important is your understanding of atmosphere, themes, and characterization.

Hey, i made a application for a character but forgot that the resume had to be submitted at the same time as the sheet so there's a bit of time in between the posting of the two, sorry for the inconvenience but will that be a big problem?

@Bellet Good question, Having Submitting your applications separately is ok and doesn't cause us any trouble so hang tight as we go through our applications.

We just won't approve any one if they fail to submit both parts of the application.

This looks really fun but I'm under the 16 age limit by 3 MONTHS... :( sorry but I had to complain just a little. I understand why you put an age limit for it but... Stupid birthday!! should've been in September! gah

@MattieLee

Aw, that sucks. If we're still going in three months, maybe you'll be able to join us!

I'm oh so very embarrassed to have to ask this, but... Where do I submit my application, if not by inbox message?

@Lady Bernkastel

The forms are linked in the Character Application thread. Click where it says "Click Here".

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
As a lover of horror, I hope this goes well.

Would it be okay if an evil child(me) has a good relationship with a good soul?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Salsacookies

Whew! lol, almost got me.

Relationship status is absolutely allowed to criss-cross over roles and alignments. You can have a good standing with a good character as an evil character.

But, if you are an evil character and you commit a good act, your alignment will change. you will have the option to change it back but your character must commit an evil deed again and regaining your original alignment will not be as instantaneous as loosing it.

Reactions: WarriorHeart
What's the oldest can a soul still be able a child? I was planning having him be 13-14.

@Salsacookies

This is a Great question!

Children are considered to be 12 and under. Ages 13 and up are considered teens.

and not to salsa in particular, I want to remind everyone, Under no circumstances are characters under the age of 16 allowed to have sexual interactions of ANY kind in Nullus Sanctus.

Darn.

*throws her notebook of RP ideas out the window*

Status
Not open for further replies.