Now that we made it...

"Well, good to know that you have a fancy for gutting small creatures." he declared with a slight laugh.

This little adventure was keeping him loose. His new companion was rather interesting. What else could he find out? It would have to wait after the area was checked. Safety first, always.

He looked over what things that were left. A random assortment, it was. Beans.......Corn.....Peaches.....Chili sauce?

"Oh yes." he declared.

Jake had decided that these things were worth keeping around. Carefully, he loaded the cans in. There was plenty of room in is large pack. All he had was a few random weapons, soap, brush, notebook, and now food. Thank the cosmos for this Costcos. Today had turned out rather great.

Sam said nothing to his last comment, she was more focused on the bounty they had stumbled upon. It was a very random collection but she had learned to get over what was in the can these days and just eat it. At this point, anything that was edible was welcome in her mind. She grabbed from the less grabbed cans, the pickled beets and the asparagus. She wondered why people still got picky when their lives were in danger.

She took her own pack off and started to load into her bag as much as possible. She'd have to rethink her stock soon though, it was getting a bit cramped...Maybe she could take advantage of the Costco and park for a few days. She could do through her items and determine what was worth keeping and what she could sacrifice to the fire. She might even find an extra bag that she could tie onto her own to give her extra space.

"Hmm...looks like there is still plenty here...part of me is debating if just stocking up would be wise." She mumbled somewhat to herself.

The click and clank of cans were made. Jake's pack was getting stuffed, halfway. He barely heard Sam enough, for a proper response. Turning slightly, he gave a quick retort.

"If you will watch my back...you can have my guns watch yours."

His words held some sincerity. Jake had already lent a hand, once. The was nothing wrong with making that a regular thing. It was hard enough, being out here, without being so alone. Maybe that is why he saved her? Perhaps. Jake just wanted to help. It was what he did most. Hopefully, she would say yes.

"...if you need it...Sam." he whispered

Sam looked to Jake quietly for a moment at his offer. The idea of sharing space with another person was strange to her, maybe because she had been alone for so very long. In fact, the last time she had human contact that was positive...was the few days before her father died. That was years ago though. She could not ignore that Jake was a frighteningly good shot though and to have him on her side would boost her survival chances greatly.

"I'd like that...Jake." She said to him simply before looking around the Costco shelves. "I think that camping here for the night might be best...I don't know about you but I have a lot I could either ditch or replace...that is if what I need is still her in the store. What about this, camp here with me for the night and I'll give us a warm meal...In return you keep an eye out while I clean myself up the best I can...I believe it's gonna rain tonight so I plan to take advantage of that. Sound like a deal?" She asked him.

I'd like that.

A very underestimated statement. Her deal was rather good. Food for night-watch? Easy. Sometimes, he stayed up just because he could. Then the "clean-up" finally registered. Mentally, he lit right up. Though, Jake could use a decent clean as well. Hopefully, she was quick.

"Deal."

He smiled, flashing some dipples. With a slight spring, Jake went down a few aisles. They should re-check the perimeter, just in case. Putting his pack down, he took his pistol to take a quick look out each window.

With the deal made, Sam watched Jake set his bag down and wander off to check out the windows. She assumed he was checking the area more thoroughly now since they would be spending the night. As he went in one direction she turned and headed in the other. She wanted to make sure the inside was secure. She assumed it was since the front door were locked until the glass was broken...however, there were more places to enter than just the front door.

She wandered slowly into the back, using the light from the windows to the best of her advantage. She stumbled upon a small clothing area and was glad to see much of it still in tack. It seemed that no bugs had gotten into the clothing. She kept it in mind and continued deeper, finding the shelves to be filled more as she went. It seemed that no one wanted to go too deep for one reason or another....probably because of the lack of light back there.

She didn't venture much more though, it was just to dark...She'd need to see if she could find something to light her path before she continued further. With that in mind she hurried back towards the bags to wait for Jake. She'd explain the plan more completely to him once the place was secured.

The perimeter looked good to him. Perhaps, the wolves weren't trained. Something very suspect was all about this. The animals had good instincts, anyway.

"Clear, you?" he called, from across the Costco.

Almost trotting, Jake came back. Grabbing his bag, all the weapons were taken out. There were seven ways to kill. He was taking inventory. Alex, 2 pistols, 2 shotguns, assault rifle, and a large kitchen knife sat a table. If anyone was ready to go to war, it was Jake Gamble. The young man started to reload and re-cock all of his weapons.

Slowly, his notebook fell out. With a thud, it hit the floor. A picture of six young boys flew out, towards Sam. Quickly, he tried to grab it.

"Clear as far as I can see..." Sam said simply.

She hadn't run into anything and from what she could tell with what little light she had, the place was pretty much as the rumor had stated, untouched. When Jake returned and started to go through her own things, Sam did the same. However, unlike him her items were a little different...maybe a little private as well.

Some pairs of underwear and bras, all dirty except one of each, A nearly empty bottle of body wash, a spare clean shirt, an old looking pocket watch, and a few other items of little importance. She often wondered why she still held onto the trash when at this point the last thing people were thinking of was being green...or whatever that term was for helping out the earth. She started to toss the unneeded or unwanted items into a pile on the floor when she noticed the picture on the floor. She had gotten too it before he could, looking at it curiously before handing it back.

"Here..." She said simply. It was not her business to ask him about the pictures, however it didn't spark a bit of curiosity...maybe at a later time...when she wasn't focused on other things.

Jake's vibe had changed, considerably. His smile had turned into a frown. Swallowing hard, he slipped the picture back.

"S--Sorry." he said softly.

Sniffling, he went back to checking his guns. Looking around, the sharpshooter desperately wanted to change the subject. Soon, his eyes found her things. Spotting the unmentionables, he had what he needed.

"I see that even now, women come though in the sexy/beautiful department. Clothing or--just you."

With a little giggle, Jake glanced at Sam. For what she could see, behind the gas mask, he was seemingly engulfed. He was engulfed in the past. Hopefully, the distraction would at least get this slip up gone.

Sam just raised an eyebrow at him before looking back to her items. She didn't seem to notice the sudden change in his character...that, or she just didn't care. There were more important things to think about then how a person was acting. His next comment brought her gaze back to him, her eyebrows raising again before she let out a hallow laugh.

"Sexy? What's sexy about a starving, under weight, paranoid woman? heh...Just wait until you see my personality, sexy is not a word to use to describe me."

She did not say this because she was not confident in her looks, but said it mostly because it was true. What was once thought of as attractive barely existed anymore...for someone to be sexy they would need to have an never ending supply of not longer made beauty products and a diet that promised food more than once a day. With that said, she stood, her last pair of clean under garments and remaining body wash in hand. It was getting darker quickly outside, the rain was coming sooner than expected.

"Are you ready? I want to get clean while I have the chance."

Sincere or not, her word successfully distracted Jake. Sam was different. Jake liked different. She could take a compliment better, though. Maybe, when they become better friends she will believe his honest intentions. Either way, it was shower time for Sam. The rain had brewed early. Though, he realized that there would be a poissbly nude female within an earshot of him. He blushed under his gas mask.

"Of course. Lead the way."

He grabbed an assault rifle and nodded. This was serious business. A lady wanted a safe shower and she was going to get it.

Sam gave a small nod to him before turning towards the very doors they entered. Along the way, she took advantage of her setting and grabbed a towel from the housing department, it looking to be nice dry and clean. Also, She grabbed a large plastic storage bin, her intentions for that unknown by anyone or thing watching. Just as they reached the door the rain sounded...

BOOM!

Perfect, a thunder storm. That meant one thing, heavy rain. And as if on que it burst from the sky heavily, instantly drowning the world outside of the door. She kicked the bin out into the ran, it quickly collecting water. It was getting darker as well, making it even harder to see anything past arms length. She wasn't worried though, most things hid during rain...she just wanted to be extra safe is all. Also, it didn't hurt to keep him busy with his eyes elsewhere...he was a member of the opposite sex.

She finally started to strip, removing her heavy boots, the dirty shirt and stained pants from her body. Without a second thought she folded them and set them near the door, there was no reason for them to get wet...yet. With that done, she started to strip out of her undergarments and toss them on the other dirty clothing, placing the clean undergarments on the ground as well before stepping out into the rain. It was so refreshing...how long had her last bath been?...She couldn't remember. She grabbed the bottle and headed off along the wall of the building, near the door for safty and a little away for privacy. With that, she quickly started to get washed up...though the clouds looked heavy with water a long rainstorm could never be promised.

Jake eyes rose up to the clap of thunder. The clouds lit up and he blinked at the flash of light. Something about it, made him happy. Weather was a thing that you could always expect to be around. Sure it could be unpredictable, but you could also manage it. The sounds of the rain drops reminded him of a better time, before the end of the world. It reminded of things like how great it was to play in the mud. It reminded him of his fantasy to have a kiss in the pouring rain.

He hung his head at the thought. Life had changed so much. Somehow, he went from being a normal kid from Olean, New York, to becoming some sort of goofy, hero sharpshooter. How does that happen? No time for that, now.

Watch was something of bore. There wasn't much going on. Rain would keep most things inside. No sense in getting sick. Out here, that could be the difference between a good day and a grave. Stepping silently, he made his way into the lot a bit. Checking the mini-scope, on his assult rifle, he didn't see a thing. Inadvertently, his eyes ended up seeing a certain figure in the distance. It took him a second, but he realized it was Sam. He gasped a little. The dark didn't allow for much, but Jake seen enough to know what was what. She was more alluring than he expected. Maybe it was the lighting? Instincts told him to rush over and take her right there. Luckily, Jake had more control than that. He still watched, from afar. Jake was still a young male, after all.

It was so nice, the feel of the cold rain on her dirty skin. It reminded her of the hour long showers she used to take as a teen and the times her father scolded her for wasting the water. She finally understood why he was so harsh about that...because when things were like this, you were more focused on when your next drink was, not your next bath. She scrubbed herself thoroughly and quickly, wanting to make sure all of her was clean before the storm ended.

Using the last of her body wash she cleaned her hair, getting the dirt and grease out of it finally. The heavy rain washed away most of the grim and she was now spotless, a welcome feeling in her mind. Life felt safer at that moment. She was clean, she was going to have a nice large meal that evening and would be able to take shelter in the Costco as she cleaned her clothing and got rid of any unneeded items. This was the safest she had ever felt. With her body now clean she made her way back to the Costco. She didn't even blush as she walked past Jake completely in the nude, she had lost all sense of modesty after all these years.

Sam also grabbed the plastic tube of water, almost 3/4ths of a way full. She then grabbed her towel from the floor and started to dry herself of quickly.

"Thanks, I really needed that."

Jake couldn't take his eyes off of her. She actually did that. No clothes. Sam just waltz past him, without a care or inhibition. The young man was speechless and could NOT stop staring at her body. He gripped his assault rifle, firmly. Thankfully, the cold rain kept him from becoming visibly aroused.

"Y--You are very welcome. Feel free to take a shower, everyday." he whispered, after all this time.

His face could not be more red, if he tried. Then he realized a possible situation. His clothes were now soaked. If he wanted to avoid a cold, he needed to strip down and air dry them. Squishing and slopping, Jake walked over to his open pack. He wasn't ready to be naked, in front of a beautiful woman. This was quite a pickle he was in.

Sam eventually was finished drying off and was now wearing her last clean pair of panties and bra. It felt so good to be clean...and now she could focus on other things like getting herself restocked and cooking a meal. She wrapped her hair up in the towel before turning towards Jake to look at him. She noticed that his clothing were soaked and blinked a bit. It seemed that he was unable to avoid getting wet.

She pulled the bin of water over to their packs, the light getting dimmer as the storm darkened. She would need to start a fire soon, luckily there was plenty here to set on fire. She started to quickly collect anything that could burn, busted pieces of wood and little papers, anything to brighten up the darkening store. Thankfully her fathers old ways prepared her for lighting a fire without assistance....After a minute or so and rubbing a pair of sticks together she was able to make a small light, it quickly growing as she gently blew on it and started to pile on wood. With that done she turned to Jake again. She felt bad that she got him soaking wet and figured that she could pay him back with something more than food.

"If you want, you can bathe and I'll wash your clothing for you...they are already soaked so you'll be waiting for them to dry either way." She offered as she pointed to him. "I'll get to work on dinner while you're cleaning up."

Jake sat there, dripping on the floor. Watching her, he could no help but want it. She was kind and honest, with him. Not to mention she was able to have use besides a meat shield. The lens fogged up in the mask.

Her offer had stunned him a little further. It was nice of Sam. Though, he was not crazy about being naked. Not because of him....but because of her. The idea of her seeing him nude was nerve racking. She may have lost modesty, but he did not. To hell with it. The world already ended, one hour nudity wasn't going to kill him.

"Ok. Sounds good, to me." he retorted.

Turning away from her, Jake let out a sigh. This was going to be interesting. His hood fell back, with the mask removal. Fingertips ran over the short, brown hair. Water-slopped fabric dripped, as the hoodie and undershirt was removed. The slightly colder air caused him to tense up. His muscles flexed from the drop in temperature. Jake turned his head, to see what Sam was doing. A blush came over his face. It was time. Shyly, he bent and slipped out of all the waist down apparel. With a sway, Jake turned around to reveal his full frontal identity.

Ambrose+Olson.jpg

The cold forced his body to look flexed. Skillfully, he covered a certain area with the mask. Jake didn't really know what else to do. So he offered up his clothes to her.

"Here you go, and thank you." he uttered.

Sam found herself watching him curiously out of the corner of her eye as she collected all of her own dirty clothing and tossed it into the rain water she had collected. She also pulled out a small box of clothing soap, it almost about to fall apart. It was rather old looking...probably because it was from eleven years ago...she didn't get to wash clothing all that often. She poured some of the powder in as she watched him strip. She had yet to see his face so she was very curious about it. It was a little hard not to notice his muscles as well...the end of the world had not done anything bad to him it seemed.

When he did turn she was facing him fully, more because she was now waiting for his clothing so she could start washing than just staring at him. He really was attractive...though obviously shy as he attempted to used his face mask to something other than his face. She took his clothing without a word and put them into the water as well. She would get them done first since it seemed like he didn't like being naked.

"It's no problem...I'll just wash them quickly and then word on the food." She said simply before turning away from him, seemingly focused on the clothing she was suppose to be cleaning.

"Thank you." he said softly.

For about another minute, Jake sat there watching her. He was naked and there still a little resistance in him. Sighing, the gas mask was placed on the table. It was time to kick this shy thing, at least for a bit. As he walked by, Jake "accidently" lets his fingertip run across her shoulder.

"Oh sorry."

Jake tried his best to pretend it was accidently, by looking away. Thankfully, the towels were now in reach. They were arranged alphabetically and by size. He wanted his favorite color. Grabbing a blue one, it wrapped around his body easily. The feeling made him shiver a little.

Sam focused on the clothing quite easily, taking her time and scrubbing each garment well. She didn't like things to be left dirty when she was able to clean them. She was so focused on the clothing that she didn't even notice Jake walk by until she felt a small line run across her shoulder. She shivered out of natural reaction before looking at Jake confused. She had no idea why he had done that but the sorry that followed informed her that it was an accident...supposedly.

She went back to the clothing but on occasion she would glance over to him curiously. This Jake was getting more and more suspicious...Or maybe that was just her paranoia kicking in since there was so much peace going on. It really just seemed to good to be true for her. She didn't think on it much more after that. She had to get all this done so they could finally eat something.