Notifcations

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivian

Original poster
My notifications aren't popping up, I'm not sure if this is a screw up on my end or a bug, but-medic. 8^D

My messages work fine, it's just the notifications.

So, @jared555 explained this to me, and I thought it'd be helpful if everybody knew about this. :3

Xenforo is a rather common forum codebase, so this probably applies to about ninety-nine percent of the Internet for those of us who roleplay all over the place.

Let me start with this: It's not a bug, nothing's really broken, and there's an easy fix if you can catch it when it happens. Essentially there's this feature that gags alerts to prevent you from getting spammed by every post on every watched thread ever.

When you receive an alert from a watched thread, the system prevents any future alerts from that thread until it is flagged as read — which happens when you read the last post, not always the post you got the alert for, and never the alert itself. That's why the alert points out that "There may be more posts after this." The quick solution is to read the last post of the thread, and your alerts for that thread will be all fixed! :D

The reason why some people have this problem and others don't is because our behavior affects whether we encounter this problem or not. If you're somebody who reads every single post the second you're notified of it, or if you're someone who regularly checks threads manually, you probably haven't had this problem; conversely, if you're a person that checks the alert but doesn't always read the post in question, or if you don't keep up-to-date on threads all the time, you might have run into this on more than one occasion.

tl;dr: If you suspect a thread's notifications are broken, read the last post! If this happens to you a lot, avoid looking at your alerts until you're ready to read the whole post and every post thereafter. The system is just trying to keep itself from spamming you! o3o

^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.