Not getting any responses so far in the normal search so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Goldenhope

Original poster
So I'm a pretty seasoned roleplayer, and I'm just looking for a roleplay partner or two. After a glance at my profile, you'll see just what i do, but things you need to know are that I'm a pretty passive roleplayer for the most part, I'm subby, and I prefer intermediate-to-prestige levels of grammar and such. I do single-lines to short replies, usually ranging 2-3 lines on the normal response, and a small paragraph for scene/time changes or starts, if i happen to start a roleplay. I do mainly 18+ with a fair amount of plot (to start) though that usually changes eventually, because I get caught up in the fun stuff. I am straight, and a furry, and that's the up-front need-to-know things :P I'm pretty chill, and I'm a pretty active replier, but I don't do forum-page roleplays, I do pms usually through facebook or skype. when not roleplaying, I feel like im a pretty fun (and hopefully somewhat funny) guy, though don't mind me if I'm being a downer, I get like that sometimes. Anyways, I'm rambling now, just uh, drop me a response should you feel interested in what you see :P

This is simply a repost of what I had in the normal 1 on 1 requests forums thing, but I havent yet gotten any responses so I figured I'd post it in a more appropriate forum thread xD

1) I do single-lines to short replies, usually ranging 2-3 lines on the normal response, and a small paragraph for scene/time changes or starts, if i happen to start a roleplay.

2) I am straight, and a furry, and that's the up-front need-to-know things :P I'm pretty chill, and I'm a pretty active replier, but I don't do forum-page roleplays, I do pms usually through facebook or skype.

Yeah I think these two points are why you don't get any replies.
1) 99.9% of role players that I know and, I think those who I still have to meet, hate one liners and will only settle for a reply containing 1 - 3 good full bodied replies. Granted it gets difficult at certain points to keep the ball rolling but that's where skill comes in.

2) people tend to like Iwaku and like to rp on iwaku. So I doubt you're going to find someone who would want to give up this awesome site to RP on Skype or facebook.

Sorry if I pissed you off with this though. Just thought you'd like to know. I could've taken out more points but yeah. Don't wanna be that much of a dick

• Thank You
Reactions: CherrieCafe
Yeah I think these two points are why you don't get any replies.
1) 99.9% of role players that I know and, I think those who I still have to meet, hate one liners and will only settle for a reply containing 1 - 3 good full bodied replies. Granted it gets difficult at certain points to keep the ball rolling but that's where skill comes in.

2) people tend to like Iwaku and like to rp on iwaku. So I doubt you're going to find someone who would want to give up this awesome site to RP on Skype or facebook.

Sorry if I pissed you off with this though. Just thought you'd like to know. I could've taken out more points but yeah. Don't wanna be that much of a dick

Youre not being a dick, youre just letting me know. And heah i get that, its frustrating because its hard to type up three paragraphs every damn time its usually at least three lines consistently though :/

Youre not being a dick, youre just letting me know. And heah i get that, its frustrating because its hard to type up three paragraphs every damn time its usually at least three lines consistently though :/
It's more because it is difficult to progress in a rp.

It's more because it is difficult to progress in a rp.
I donno, ive been roleplaying a long time and i dont have a problem moving an rp along, but theres not always 2 paragraphs of actions and surroundings to describe unless i repeat myself eight times and i refuse to do so

I donno, ive been roleplaying a long time and i dont have a problem moving an rp along, but theres not always 2 paragraphs of actions and surroundings to describe unless i repeat myself eight times and i refuse to do so
It's called being descriptive. Plus you have to react and progress

There are different ways of role-playing. No one way is better than any other. I know that there are other members on Iwaku who are fine with short posts/one liners, so they're out there. Just gotta keep looking!

It's called being descriptive. Plus you have to react and progress
As I said, even with being descriptive, theres a limit before youre being repetitive. And i said i can progress. Jeez, if you guys read roleplay replies like you read my post, then whats the point of typing up that much???

There are different ways of role-playing. No one way is better than any other. I know that there are other members on Iwaku who are fine with short posts/one liners, so they're out there. Just gotta keep looking!
Thanks, ill try.

Even one full bodied paragraph can be enough. One to two lines would just cover the "he said she said" bit if your characters are talking.
If you let your imagination loose and visualize the surroundings and actions etc you'll find yourself writing 4 - 5 good paragraphs with no problems or repeats

Even one full bodied paragraph can be enough. One to two lines would just cover the "he said she said" bit if your characters are talking.
If you let your imagination loose and visualize the surroundings and actions etc you'll find yourself writing 4 - 5 good paragraphs with no problems or repeats
I suppose but i usually rp with 2-3 people at a time sometimes on diff platforms, so ive defaulted to slightly shorter response lengths to allow for that

True. It can be difficult to rp on different platforms with 3 - 4 people at a time. My advice: slow down. Don't rush replies. Think things through before replying also get your replies via email. Add a home screen icon for every RP in stead of every site and give them the name of the RP. My partners know that I disappear for bits but when I get back I can think of a pretty good reply with good length and substance

Hey friend... I know I should have your side on this since I've known you for so long. But I honestly can't help but agree. It can be kinda hard in the beginning to put a few paragraphs in dialogue, but theres several techniques you can look at and try to focus.

I'm gonna place an example of an RP I'm doing now, and I feel really arrogant for placing it here, but I just wanna pose a few pointers cuz Iwaku has taught me a ton during my time on it., and my partner faaaar surpasses me, but I don't want to put one of her replies without permission. This is a small fragment of the conversation we're having in our story.

Torin just shook is head at the man, letting loose a heavy sigh as he stared at the reaching striders below them. After a few moments, he slammed the trapdoor shut over the opening and turned to the older male. "I know that you want to get to the camp. But I already told you all the information you needed to know.". He pointed down at the infected swarming the street below. "They're coming from the camp, go against their current and you'd get there." Torin turned his finger to his own chest and then to Robin. "I do not matter more than she does, and coming after me was a stupid error. I would have been fine, thats not the first time I've gotten into that sort of situation. And even if I wouldn't have been fine, my point still stands. You need to worry about your sister and nothing else." All this was said with out a single raise in they younger's voice, as if he had never faced the edge of death, as if he were having a casual conversation with a stranger. He shook his head and plopped on the roof beginning to sound stressed, small wavers and breaks appearing in his voice. "And even so, I still think going to the camp is a bad idea, since you'll be plunging head-first into a swarm of danger and dragging your sister with you." Small tears welled up in his eyes for seemingly no reason, not even he was sure why he suddenly wanted to break down. Despite his happy nature, Torin's mind was suddenly filled with self-doubt and the urge to give up and give in to the end of the world. But he just furiously shook his head, pulled back the tears, and looked off into the distance. Loosing himself to a few memories that rose up in his mind.
He had always been really hopeful and happy, never letting anything get his mood down, even on the days were he just wanted to let go and end everything, he put a smile on and went on like nothing was wrong. He never vented to anybody, never got in anyone's way or released his problems in fear of being a burden to someone. He understood that letting out his true feelings was something that was healthy and natural in fear of bottling it up and exploding, but he hated the idea of putting his problems on someone else's shoulders and dragging them through his mud. Even when all this began, he forced through it, kept a smile, kept his hope. Though, if it really was the end of the world, he wasn't sure how long he could keep it up. He didn't know when he would finally reach his breaking point and while he liked to think he could go on forever, the truth was...
He really couldn't do this alone.

In midst of putting the basic dialogue, you can put what goes through the character's head. The things that they may wanna say but don't. Who are they looking at? What are they doing while they talk? Are they anxious or tired? How do they feel and how do they come off as? Does their conversation bring up memories?

Now as said, this can get repetitive, but thats why you don't put all those details in one post. You spread them out throughout the conversation, and if you run out of details, then thats probably a good signifier that you you should move on the plot and get away from the dialogue since a roleplay with only dialogue tends to fall flat.

When you're not in dialogue, put actions, thoughts, feeling, memories, urges, gestures and everything about them into that detail, but once again, spread it out. This way you don't run out of details before your character advances forward. While it may be hard to pump out three paragraphs, you can only stick to one nicely detailed paragraph and get away with it fine.

I'm sorry if this drug on, and if you feel I may be against you (I know how you are under pressure and on the fighting side). But I just wanted to add to this and give some tips...

Hey friend... I know I should have your side on this since I've known you for so long. But I honestly can't help but agree. It can be kinda hard in the beginning to put a few paragraphs in dialogue, but theres several techniques you can look at and try to focus.

I'm gonna place an example of an RP I'm doing now, and I feel really arrogant for placing it here, but I just wanna pose a few pointers cuz Iwaku has taught me a ton during my time on it., and my partner faaaar surpasses me, but I don't want to put one of her replies without permission. This is a small fragment of the conversation we're having in our story.

Torin just shook is head at the man, letting loose a heavy sigh as he stared at the reaching striders below them. After a few moments, he slammed the trapdoor shut over the opening and turned to the older male. "I know that you want to get to the camp. But I already told you all the information you needed to know.". He pointed down at the infected swarming the street below. "They're coming from the camp, go against their current and you'd get there." Torin turned his finger to his own chest and then to Robin. "I do not matter more than she does, and coming after me was a stupid error. I would have been fine, thats not the first time I've gotten into that sort of situation. And even if I wouldn't have been fine, my point still stands. You need to worry about your sister and nothing else." All this was said with out a single raise in they younger's voice, as if he had never faced the edge of death, as if he were having a casual conversation with a stranger. He shook his head and plopped on the roof beginning to sound stressed, small wavers and breaks appearing in his voice. "And even so, I still think going to the camp is a bad idea, since you'll be plunging head-first into a swarm of danger and dragging your sister with you." Small tears welled up in his eyes for seemingly no reason, not even he was sure why he suddenly wanted to break down. Despite his happy nature, Torin's mind was suddenly filled with self-doubt and the urge to give up and give in to the end of the world. But he just furiously shook his head, pulled back the tears, and looked off into the distance. Loosing himself to a few memories that rose up in his mind.

He had always been really hopeful and happy, never letting anything get his mood down, even on the days were he just wanted to let go and end everything, he put a smile on and went on like nothing was wrong. He never vented to anybody, never got in anyone's way or released his problems in fear of being a burden to someone. He understood that letting out his true feelings was something that was healthy and natural in fear of bottling it up and exploding, but he hated the idea of putting his problems on someone else's shoulders and dragging them through his mud. Even when all this began, he forced through it, kept a smile, kept his hope. Though, if it really was the end of the world, he wasn't sure how long he could keep it up. He didn't know when he would finally reach his breaking point and while he liked to think he could go on forever, the truth was...

He really couldn't do this alone.

In midst of putting the basic dialogue, you can put what goes through the character's head. The things that they may wanna say but don't. Who are they looking at? What are they doing while they talk? Are they anxious or tired? How do they feel and how do they come off as? Does their conversation bring up memories?

Now as said, this can get repetitive, but thats why you don't put all those details in one post. You spread them out throughout the conversation, and if you run out of details, then thats probably a good signifier that you you should move on the plot and get away from the dialogue since a roleplay with only dialogue tends to fall flat.

When you're not in dialogue, put actions, thoughts, feeling, memories, urges, gestures and everything about them into that detail, but once again, spread it out. This way you don't run out of details before your character advances forward. While it may be hard to pump out three paragraphs, you can only stick to one nicely detailed paragraph and get away with it fine.

I'm sorry if this drug on, and if you feel I may be against you (I know how you are under pressure and on the fighting side). But I just wanted to add to this and give some tips...

This is EXCELLENT advice. This post should be framed ^-^

• Love
Reactions: Enderdeman
I would be willing to do an rp or even a few with you. I do normally bigger posts but I was the same as you a while ago. The way I learned to do longer posts was mimicking the writing of my partners. But if you are happy with your way of roleplay then stick with it hun.

I am also a furry! So a furry one would be nice. Just pm me if interested.

Reactions: CherrieCafe
If you like one liners, you like/do one liners.

I would say that reading about Chuck Palahniuk's thought verbs challenge might be useful though. It's less about repeating yourself and more about expanding your perspective when writing characters incrementally until you get better at it and more comfortable.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.