Not Another Cinderella Story (lxngdon & MaryGold)

H A R R I S O N
"Why the fuck do you watch that?"

Harrison asked upon walking inside their bedroom, with a slight frown fixed on his face and bottle of beer in his hands.

With the door cracked open his friends could be heard laughing and yelling. They were a boisterous and crude bunch, and it was very easy to see how they were friends of his. They were similar.

"It's not like you can play."
He snorted and crossed the room over to his dresser to change his shirt. "Why don't you go and make us some snacks?" He wasn't asking. Hell, he never asked. Somethings were to be expected of her and done.

"And also, when do you get your first paycheck?"

l a i n e y
Lainey flinched at Harrison's harsh words and she subconsciously began to rub her own leg, as if she could heal it with her touch. "My brother's playing Rafael Nadal," she said quietly, just as her brother Vasily and the world number nine, Rafa, walked onto the court.

The game hadn't started yet and she knew that if she hurried, she could finish making the snacks and come back to watch. "I get paid on Friday," she told Harrison quietly, standing up and putting on a cardigan.

She tried to ignore the remarks from Harrison's friends as she went into the kitchen and poured out some chips and dip, as well as some popcorn. She also made herself a small bowl to eat while she watched the game.

She set all the bowls and plates on the coffee table in front of her boyfriend and his friends. "Can I go watch now? Please? It's the semi-final."

H A R R I S O N
"Fine." Harrison grunted, and flicked a hand on her direction, not bothering to look at her in the slightest. His eyes were focused on the TV in front of him playing a movie. "But do not forget about I dinner.

"Or desert." One of his friends said, wearing a churlish smirk."I'm sure you'll come up with something scrumptious." He said, his eyes traveling her body from head to toe, slowly.

Threat of the group snickered, and Harrison smiled, rolling his eyes.

"Trust me when I say it't not as good as you'd think."

He only received another round her sniggers in response and grabbed a mouth full of popcorn.
"Go watch your tennis." Harrison responded with another grunt, not acknowledging her existence.

l a i n e y
Lainey resisted the urge to cringe at Harrison's comments. She blushed, feeling like an object, as she limped back into the kitchen and pulled out pizza bases from the freezer. She defrosted them, assembled four pizzas as well as pizza fries -- just fries with cheese and tomato paste on top. She put it all in the oven and went back into their bedroom to watch the game while she waited.

Her brother had won the first set, so Lainey was happy when the timer went off and she came back into the kitchen to slice pizzas. She brought them over to the coffee table with the fries and set them out, still smiling because Vasily was winning.

One of Harrison's friends reached out and smacked her ass. "Why're you so happy?"

Surprised, Lainey stumbled and the guy laughed again. A blush crept up her cheeks. "My brother's winning the tennis," she mumbled.

"Harry, I think your girlfriend's retarded, she cant talk properly."

H A R R I S O N
"She's a little slower than average, but she's not retarded." Harrison replied in his matter of factly tone and chuckled, reaching for a slice of pizza to eat."I couldn't have dealt with her if she was crippled and retarded both."

He smirked, biting into his pizza slice as he raised his gaze to look at Lainey."I'm not known for my patience."

Lazing back in his seat on the sofa, Harrison whistled, "So, Vasily is winning, huh? That's nice, I wonder now long that'll last of he's anything like you." He switched his gaze back to the screen.

l a i n e y
Lainey almost flinched. That hurt, and Harrison knew it would. Her injury, her biggest insecurity -- the single event, fleetingly short occurrence that had completely, totally and utterly destroyed her entire life and career.

"I broke my leg in a car accident," she reminded him in a dead tone. "And even if Vasily broke his leg, he could afford the physiotherapy to fix it."

When Lainey had been injured, the entire family had been poor and and unable to provide appropriate medical attention to her. But now, they were rich, but it was too late. She knew she'd never be able to play tennis again.

She limped into the kitchen, brought out a plate of chocolate brownies for dessert, and went back into the bedroom to watch her brother play the sport she would never be able to play again.

((MASON AND KARI TIME))

M A S O N
"I'M HOME!" Mason called as soon as he shut the door behind himself.

He stopped in his tracks momentarily when looking around the foyer. It was spotless, something he wasn't used to. There was usually always one thing to leave the room out of place. As much as it was clean, it was nice.

Mason should have given her a tip, Lainey.

He moved through the house and to the kitchen to set down the bags of groceries that preoccupied his arms. Seeing how he needed to buy Karoline's chocolate anyway, he went ahead and picked up some other foods. The fridge was half empty as it was.

Though, he was too tired to actually put it away and instead nabbed Kari's chocolate and went to find her. "I got the chocolate you wanted." He smiled sweetly and kissed her forehead as a greeting.

k a r o l i n e
Karoline took the chocolate and gave Mason a small smile. "Thanks," she said, settling back into the pillows on Mason's bed with her phone in her hand. She was on Instagram, smiling as she read the adoring comments on her latest selfie. Karoline absolutely loved attention.

She pulled Mason down onto the bed beside him and snuggled up into his chest. "Pay attention to me," she demanded, in a tone that indicated there would be trouble if he did not do so.

"Where'd you find that housekeeper -- whats-her-name?" asked Kari, not caring what her actual name was. "Do you think she's pretty?"

M A S O N
"Lainey?" Mason squinted his eyes, kicking his shoes off and thinking back to the previous night. It was sort of a blur, but he knew better than to not answer her interrogative questions. The last thing he wanted was trouble.

"It was at a bar. A club bar."
He put his arms around Kari and held her close."She left her business card."

He rubbed her arms gently. As for the second question, he didn't think before answering. "Yeah, she's pretty." He shrugged a shoulder casually.

"But of course you're prettier. Beautiful." Mason quickly added.

k a r o l i n e
"A bar? You met a girl at a bar and then invited her to our house?" Our house, even though Karoline had her own home and was just staying here with Mason. She scowled against his chest and balled her fingers in his shirt.

Her scowl deepened when he called her pretty. Even though he had assured her that she was beautiful, prettier than the housekeeper, but she didn't care.

"She left her business card? She's obviously going to try to seduce you for your money." Which was ironic, because that was pretty much all Karoline did with Mason.

M A S O N
"Kari, she isn't that type of person from what I can tell," Mason promised her resisting the urge to let out a deep sigh on the subject.

"She didn't leave the card on purpose."
How could she when she expressed he greatest contempt for him the other night. Drunk or not, she didn't like him or not. And he was sure she was only so polite to keep her new job.

"And the weird thing is she has no clue as to who I am. " He gently tried to unball her fingers clawing his shirt.

"If she's really trying to seduce me, she had a funny way of showing it."

k a r o l i n e
"From what you can tell," Karoline repeated forcefully, still scowling into Mason's chest. "Trust me, Mason, I know what women are like and they're conniving enough to trick you. And she looks shady anyway."

Irritated, Karoline made an annoyed noise and stood up, climbing out of bed and storming downstairs with her chocolate in hand. She proceeded to grate a couple of pieces over a bowl of plain vanilla ice cream and sat up on the kitchen bench, scowling at the reflection in the microwave.

"What if something goes missing?!" she called upstairs to Mason. "If you were capable of picking up after yourself we wouldn't need a fucking housekeeper."

M A S O N
Mason combed his fingers through his messy hair tiredly with closed eyes. He wanted to do nothing more than to stay in bed and sleep for as long as time would allow him. Obviously, that was not going to happen. And he knew better than to not pay any attention to Kari.

He couldn't blame her, he too longed for attention. But where he only asked for it, she demanded it. So, there would be nothing good coming out of staying in bed.

"I know ... And I'm sorry."
Mason genuinely apologized quietly upon descending the stairs and following in her foot steps to the kitchen. She was correct, but it didn't prevent it from stinging.

"But, I think we should seriously give her a chance at the least."
He exhaled, touching her waist affectionately. "She's done a remarkable job with the place in only a day, it would be ludicrous to fire her now."

k a r o l i n e
Karoline pouted and scooped up a little more ice cream, popping it in her mouth so she could avoid speaking to Mason. She was angry, but ... she really did like having a clean house. And, of course, she was too vain to clean it herself, so she was fine with letting someone else do it.

"If anything goes missing," she said in a low voice, scowling at the fridge, "or if she tries to make a move on you, she's gone."

Most people wouldn't dare talk to their boyfriends in the way Karoline spoke to Mason -- especially since it was his house and not hers. But Karoline knew she had Mason whipped, wrapped around her little finger. So, really, she could treat him however she wanted.

"Understand?"

M A S O N
"Loud and clear, my love." Mason smiled somewhat tiredly, leaned in to grab either side of her shoulders and kiss her forehead and then moved down to peck on the lips.

He seriously doubted that Lainey would still anything yet Aline seduce him. He was damn near certain, but he complied knowing there was no other way around it with Kari. She wouldn't rest until she had her way.

And, well, she wasn't necessarily wrong. Mason didn't know their housekeeper too well at all. He only had a feeling.

"Now that is put to a rest, may we watch a movie and cuddle on the couch?"

k a r o l i n e
"We may."

Satisfied, Karoline finished her ice cream, took both of Mason's hand and lead him into the spotless living room, settling down beside him on the couch with her head rested in his chest. She turned the TV on to a horror movie, the only type of movie she actually enjoyed, and settled into place beside her boyfriend.

"I do love you," she reminded him, despite how much her mistrust of Mason contradicted her words. "Very much. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Who would pay for her chocolates and her other expenses? Who would pay attention to her?

M A S O N
"I know. I love you too." Mason dropped a kiss to the top of her head.

He knew she had to love him. No matter how many times they may come to disagree on thing or she may leave. Because he knew they'd always come back together. That was one thing he could count on, to be certain of in his life.

Mason needed her and she needed him, it was as simple as that. Though, there was always a seed of doubt in his heart. He ignored it and went on watching the horror film in front of them.

l a i n e y

"What would you like for dinner?" Lainey asked Harrison in a soft tone as they perused the meat aisle of the supermarket. She held his hand with one of her own and used her other to push the trolley, glancing around at all the selections as she did so.

Lainey had been working for Mason for a week now and had been paid handsomely once, so Lainey wanted to make her boyfriend a nice dinner.

"Maybe a nice steak?"

Lainey noticed, out of the corner of her eye, a swish of familiar brown hair and she turned to see Mason and Karoline standing a little way away. She immediately turned around so they wouldn't see her.

She didn't know why, but she didn't want them to see her out of work. It made her feel uncomfortable.

M A S O N
Mason leaned against the handlebar of his trolley with crossed arms as he pushed it along, trailing behind Karoline. "What do we need again?"
He asked, his voice distant.

Clearly, he wasn't entirely all there or at least he did not care to be. He'd rather be at home, sitting in his music room at his piano. But errands needed to be run and so he was stuck grocery shopping.

His eyes wandered to the meats and down the aisle until he spotted a certain familiar looking housekeeper. Or at least he thought it was Lainey. She had turned around to fast before he could get a better look at her face.

He perked his head up and tilted it to the side as if that would help him see her face. She had a limp like his housekeeper. But he had never seen her outside of any clothing but her uniform, so he thought to leave it alone and continue his shopping escapade with Kari.

"Lainey, where are you going?"

That had confirmed it enough for him, he pushed forward and aligned himself and trolley with the small woman."What are the odds?" He began casually smiling.

"Excuse me, who are you?"

Mason raised an eyebrow at the man curiously. He must have been the one to call out to her. A friend of hers?

"Mason. I'm Mason."
He replied just as casually with this stranger.

"Harrison. Her boyfriend." Harrison answered gruffly, suspiciously looking Mason over. He put his arm around her shoulders as if to say 'she's mine, back off'.

"Oh, wow. I did not know you had a boyfriend. I guess it's not
surprising."

Harrison narrowed his eyes at the dirty blonde and looked to Lainey with eyes that demanded an answer right away.

l a i n e y

This is not what Lainey had wanted to happen.

She gave Mason a tight-lipped smile and looked up at Harrison. "This is Mason Wagner, my boss," she told him, putting her small arm around his waist as if to assure him that she was, indeed, his.

"Mace, I want to have Mediterranean lamb skewers -- oh, it's you." Karoline scowled at Lainey and put an arm around Mason's waist possessively.

Lainey suddenly felt very insecure. She and Karoline were wearing almost the same outfit -- skinny jeans and a flannel over a tank top -- but the French girl made it look about a hundred percent better and Lainey felt inadequate.

Karoline glanced at Harrison and smirked. "This your boyfriend? You're punching a bit above your weight, aren't you?" Lainey flinched.