NOT A WEABOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone here is wrong. As a black person who has been subjected to racism most of their life I, as a matter of fact, can confirm that being called otaku and weeaboo is as hurtful as a racial slur such as nigger. Being called something relating to a hobby is probably even more negative and hurtful than being called something deprived from slavery and racism. So just shut your mouths and talk what you know.
Not sure if sarcasm.. Or stupidity..

Can I get a second opinion?

The fact that you posted a picture depicting the difference between an anime fan and a weaboo clearly indicates you've got no problems calling someone else a weaboo if you thought they were one.

Get the fuck over yourself.

I don't see anyone who smokes weed that finds being called a pothead as offensive as being called nigger or cunt. I mean, sure, it's rude and annoying, but...

Reactions: WarriorHeart
The fact that you posted a picture depicting the difference between an anime fan and a weaboo clearly indicates you've got no problems calling someone else a weaboo if you thought they were one.

Get the fuck over yourself.
Did that image say Weaboo anywhere on it? No, I don't think it did. It says clear as day that it is the difference between a good anime fan and a bad anime fan. The good is what I, and many people who are called 'weaboos' are. The bad, however, is how people view us because we like anime or appreciate Japanese culture.

Reactions: Esmeray
I see both sides here, and I have a few things I wish to say without stepping in too far. Please don't drag me in with a million quotes.

1) This belongs in counseling. MAYBE a GC debate thread if presented otherwise, but this is not a general chat discussion thread and not presented in a way appropriate for this area.

~~~~

2) I would suggest not bringing other issues into arguments like this. As this thread shows, bringing other big issues into an opinion like this can very badly derail things into what they're not meant to be. Conversely, illustrate points with smaller things that you aren't gonna anger a whole community with. Maybe compare this to being called a nerd, but swears and racial slurs are a choice that will bring a lot of strong opinions. I would not suggest trying this again later.

3) I know this was poorly presented, but try to understand what he is attempting to say you guys. Clearly some of you are very upset at his comparisons, and I am too. Maybe for him, it is as bad as what he said. Just because it isn't for you doesn't mean you can sass him and totally downplay his whole argument.

4) If you're gonna disagree with him, do it maturely. Being a child about it helps nothing, and just drags this thread and other threads further to hell. Better yet? Ignore it, report it, and MOVE ON.

~~~~

Sorry if it's not my place to say these things, but I couldn't not say these things after seeing this. As a member, I think this thread is already very unhealthy. Hopefully someone with some more authority can come in and do a better job helping this. This is also hastily tossed together, but this is also just generally something that needs to not linger forever.

I don't see anyone who smokes weed that finds being called a pothead as offensive as being called nigger or cunt. I mean, sure, it's rude and annoying, but...
But being a pothead isn't something someone should find pride in anyway.

Not sure if sarcasm.. Or stupidity..

Can I get a second opinion?
Sarcasm. We have him on Skype in the roast group. Teenager, great kid, but like all teenagers, sometimes can't quite weave subtlety. Getting there though!

• Thank You
Reactions: K3l and Windsong
Did that image say Weaboo anywhere on it? No, I don't think it did. It says clear as day that it is the difference between a good anime fan and a bad anime fan. The good is what I, and many people who are called 'weaboos' are. The bad, however, is how people view us because we like anime or appreciate Japanese culture.
I see what you mean, but you're also furthering the very stereotype you're wishing to stop. You've not the right to segregate 'good' and 'bad' fans of anime, or anything else. Everyone has different opinions, and you're contradicting yourself at the moment.

I see both sides here, and I have a few things I wish to say without stepping in too far. Please don't drag me in with a million quotes.

1) This belongs in counseling. MAYBE a GC debate thread if presented otherwise, but this is not a general chat discussion thread and not presented in a way appropriate for this area.

~~~~

2) I would suggest not bringing other issues into arguments like this. As this thread shows, bringing other big issues into an opinion like this can very badly derail things into what they're not meant to be. Conversely, illustrate points with smaller things that you aren't gonna anger a whole community with. Maybe compare this to being called a nerd, but swears and racial slurs are a choice that will bring a lot of strong opinions. I would not suggest trying this again later.

3) I know this was poorly presented, but try to understand what he is attempting to say you guys. Clearly some of you are very upset at his comparisons, and I am too. Maybe for him, it is as bad as what he said. Just because it isn't for you doesn't mean you can sass him and totally downplay his whole argument.

4) If you're gonna disagree with him, do it maturely. Being a child about it helps nothing, and just drags this thread and other threads further to hell. Better yet? Ignore it, report it, and MOVE ON.

~~~~

Sorry if it's not my place to say these things, but I couldn't not say these things after seeing this. As a member, I think this thread is already very unhealthy. Hopefully someone with some more authority can come in and do a better job helping this. This is also hastily tossed together, but this is also just generally something that needs to not linger forever.
I already applied to have the thread deleted anyway. Too many people are taking my words and twisting them around to make me look like the bad guy.

But being a pothead isn't something someone should find pride in anyway.
Never said they were proud of being potheads. There might be some people out there that might find pride in that, who knows? Overall, it's rude to call someone a pothead, but that's just it-- it's rude. Not derogatory or extremely hurtful.

I already applied to have the thread deleted anyway. Too many people are taking my words and twisting them around to make me look like the bad guy.
When it is like this, you should report it. It probably needs some looking over anyways, and reports are also likely to be handled faster. Again, please try to learn some of these things more. :)

Reactions: Windsong
Giving everyone passive aggressive ratings probably isn't going to help your cause.
True, but look at it from his perspective. It's a first world problem, but it's his problem, and everyone here is ganging up to beat him like a rabid mob of angry ferrets. He's also a teenager. He's allowed to get overly dramatic about things sometimes. :ferret: It's why I'm trying to be reassuring. He's not an adult, but he's not dumb.

So let's all take Elbell's bit here, relax, and just let it go. Kid's learned a lesson, one way or another. If he hasn't, he'll pay for it with his reputation.
No need to baseball bat mob the kid. We're good now, aye?

Then what was the point of posting it, if not to try and separate yourself from the characteristics of a bad anime fan (aka a weaboo)? Don't try and fool yourself into thinking you meant anything but, "I'm not a weaboo, look! See! This is what a weaboo actually is! I'm not that!"

*crowbars opinion into thread before it is deleted*

This should have been a post in the Rant thread. He shouldn't have posted it. None of you should have responded. No changes to Iwaku policy would ever have come of this. This is all pointless.

Things are as offensive as people want them to be.

"Nigger monthly"
I would TOTALLY read this.

This should have been a post in the Rant thread. He shouldn't have posted it. None of you should have responded. No changes to Iwaku policy would ever have come of this. This is all pointless.

I second this completely ^^

Hmm...not completely but I'd say like a good 80% XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashi
I think it's offensive because it made one of my all time favorite PBF comics not as cool by association.

I would TOTALLY read this.
Its not that he shouldnt have posted it. He has every right to rant about what bothers him, should he have presented his rant in the way he did? No, he could have done so in a better way.

I think everyone is over reacting to be honest lol

Reactions: LunaValentine
Okay, okay, before this is closed:

I agree that we shouldn't have attacked him. I also agree he shouldn't have posted this. What I do think should have happened that would have made this whole thread pretty nifty is the following:

Thread Title: What do you think of being called a Weeaboo/Otaku?
OP says: People are called this all the time just because they like anime. I personally think that it is offensive and hurtful to say. What do you guys think?

Instead, it was more of "RWAR THIS IS MY OPINION, THIS IS WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN!".
And the replies were like "LOL NO YOU'RE STUPID"

It isn't bad. People react that way to things all of the time, especially when they're passionate about something. I'm pretty sure that all of us here have been through it, no matter how old we are.

Reactions: Esmeray
Status
Not open for further replies.