North vs. South

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garris had to think about that for a moment. "My ties to kinship are what keep me sane. I remember my loved ones and I remember my people. They need me as much as I need them." He did not want to give too much away just yet, but it was the most honest answer he could give without revealing information that might change her mind about helping him. He peered inside the cave, affirming his hopes that it was still empty. It was not a very deep one, so it would be difficult for bandits to hide in their and remain unnoticed. He held his hand up to stop her. He was not about to seek assistance for such a mundane task as dismounting a horse. Though as he slid off the saddle he all but fell off the horse's back.

Trying to stifle a laugh, Amira bent over Garris and helped him to sit against the wall of the cave. She could see that he had been too stubborn to let her help him and she wasn't going to crush that pride. But apparently he would that for himself. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to laugh." she said while smiling. She then checked his shoulder. The wound was terrible. She reached for her skirt and tore more fabric to bandage his wound. It would help to stop the bleeding, but she needed to cleanse the wound with hot water or he could die from infection. "I'm going to get some firewood and try to get some water. I'll be back as quickly as I can." Without another word she began her task at gathering wood. Because she wasn't used to the roughness of the forest she ended up cutting her hand a few times while gathering wood. Stupid! I'm so weak that I can't even get firewood without getting hurt! I can't be useless at a time like this! Decided to ignore it for the time being she wiped the blood on her dress and forged on. After about a half an hour she was able to get enough wood for the fire plus extra wood for the night. She then took her canteen, which she was glad that she had thought to grab the large one from the kitchen, and filled it with cold water from the nearby stream. When she came back she checked on Garris again to make sure that he was still ok. The shoulder wound needed new wraps so she took more clothe from her dress to re-bandage the wound. "Hopefully, we'll be able to get you to real help before I use all my clothes to fix you up." she said slightly embarrassed.

Garris slumped against the cave wall and gasped for oxygen. His breathing was heavy and rapid, and for a moment he felt as though ht might lose consciousness. As Amira left to get firewood, he shrugged off his armor and braces, which brought a needed relief to his sore muscles. He would not enjoy putting them back on tomorrow. As he sat in the cave waiting for her return, his thoughts floated back to the battle, recalling everyone who had been with him as they marched. 'How many of us were lost?' he wondered, 'And who was still alive?' It had been too dark to recognize the faces of the corpses that littered the ground during their trek to the cave. He thought about going out in the morning to see who had been killed, but at the same time he feared it would only bring him grief.

Amira finally returned to the cave and Garris smiled in her direction, though she probably did not see it in the dark. He laughed lightly at her statement while she began to wrap the wound. "Most men would have few problems with a situation like that. But you must still be a maiden, so we will want to keep you clothed." He winced slightly as the new cloth was woven around his shoulder. It would not be long, however, before this one was completely soaked as well.

At the mention of maiden Amira's checks turned a bright apple red. "Well I guess I can't deny it now. But I'm more worried about my father catching you here with an undressed daughter of his. He would kill me, but in all serious he would probably kill you." Quickly she took a few extra scraps of clothe and wrapped it around her cut hands. Next she gathered the wood in the middle of the cave. She placed the large pieces of wood on the bottom and stacked them up with the smaller pieces. She didn't know what she was doing and it was pretty evident. After she had finished putting a third of the wood in the pile, which was up to her chest while kneeling, she turned to Garris. "I seem to keep making a fool out of myself, but I don't know how to light a fire. Do you think you could tell me?" She had to swallow her pride for the warmth of the fire was more important then what Garris thought of her. Deep down she felt a small tingle of wanting him to like her, but every time she felt it she would push it aside.

He was not surprised to hear that her father would disapprove of her being seen with a northern soldier. He then pulled a knife from his belt and handed it to her. "Start by making some small kindling. They will catch fire more easily when sparks hit them. Then as more light the fire will grow bigger and you can add larger wood to the pile. Give it a try." He was almost amused by her efforts. Had she been Faliya he would have teased her to no end about her inability to survive in the wilderness. As he watched her try again to get the fire going, his curiosity began to wander again. "Tell me, if you don't mind, who is your father? He must be a lord of some importance. Though I could not imagine him being anywhere near us now to see you with a northman." The realization of what he just said struck him and his face grew serious. "He's not around here, is he?"

She took his small knife and began to make the fire as he instructed. "My father you ask?" she said hesitantly. "He is close, but he wont do anything till morning. And--" she paused grabbing the knife just in case and moving to the other side of the cave. Sure he was a wounded man, but a wounded man could still harm her if desperate enough. "My father is the king."

For a long time he said nothing. He simply stared at her, trying to make sense of what she had just said. The King of the South? This was not what he had expected by any means, and it was certainly not going to make their situation any less complicated. "Your father is the king," he repeated, mostly to himself. Without meaning to, he burst into laughter, but stopped quickly as his chest screamed at him for doing so. "Your father is the king," he repeated once more. "Well this certainly changes things." Was he now obligated to tell her of his own lineage? No, he would have to hold onto that for now. "And he is here."

At the mention that he was there Amira quickly ran outside the cave to see if what he was saying was true. Sure enough horses with her kingdom's colors where headed their way. They were far enough away for her figure out what to do with Garris. Quickly and carefully she knelt next to him. "Look I know you probably don't trust me, but you must trust me now." She spoke evenly. She didn't intend for her to take care of his wounds and then for her father kill him. That was not how she worked. She began to collect his armor, "If I can convince them that you are not a Northern soldier then they wont kill you. My father might be displeased, but his anger would be on me and not you."

Garris had to think for a moment. Of course he was no longer sure of whether or not he could trust her. But had she wanted him dead or captured, she would have already taken him to her father. It was risky, no doubt, but there were not many other options he had at this point. The only thing that worried him was his appearance. His eye and hair color were distinctly northern. He would have to conjure up a convincing story in order to get by. "I trust you," he said pointedly. "But be careful, or it could mean the end for both of us."

After collecting all his armor and throwing it into the pond she knelt next to Garris, "I promise I wont get you killed." She smiled sweetly, "It's improper for a lady to break a promise." She then began to check his clothes, ""Do you have any insignia on your clothing? If you do then we must remove them and burn them. I could always say that your clothes were nothing but rags." She glanced at his torn shirt and ragged pants "That really isn't far from the truth either." She ran to her horse and grabbed her cloak. "If we need to we can-" Again her cheeks turned pink, "I must get over being embarrassed, but if we need to I can help you remove all your clothing and then cover you with my cloak." The cloak made from brown fur and expertly woven. "And about your Northern looks, I'll just say that you were a traveling vagabond when you were attacked by thieves. My father isn't a cruel man and he wouldn't kill an innocent man even if he is from the North."

He immediately removed the pendant that hung around his neck and held it out for her to take. It was a crest given to him by his mother, but he would have to let it go if he wished to stay alive. Luckily he carried no other identifying marks other than his armor, and Amira had already dealt with that issue easily enough. He resisted the urge to laugh again as his cheeks flushed red as well. "As much as I would enjoy being unclothed for you, my lady, that will not be necessary. But this pendant must be hidden. It carries a known northern crest and would be an instant giveaway."

Amira couldn't resist a smile when she saw him blush. At least she wasn't the only one to get flustered. She reached out and took the man's pendant. Knowing it was too valuable to toss aside, she stored it in her leather pouch and put the pouch in the saddle bag. She knelt next to Garris to make sure nothing was forgotten. "Are you sure nothing else will incriminate you? As I said before my father isn't a cruel man, but he wont tolerate enemy soldiers. Wounded or not"

He nodded with reassurance. He then realized he was staring at her awkwardly. The way the light of the fire was dancing on her face seemed to make him almost forget his current dilemma. He quickly snapped back to reality and pointed to the cave entrance. "They are approaching."

King Hadrian found himself worrying beyond more than he thought he was capable of. This was exactly why he did not want to bring Amira with him on this expedition. Her curiosity always caused her to jump ahead and wander away on her own. And it led to more headaches for him, as though he did not already have enough to worry about these days.

"My king," one of his men called to him. "We have spotted a cave ahead. There appears to be a light coming from it, most likely a fire from someone's camp." Perhaps it was Amira, or perhaps it was a group of thieves. Either way, whoever was in the cave was not going to be happy to see an upset king.

Amira didn't notice him staring at her, but she did hear the horses approaching. She stood up, brushed off her tattered dress, and calmly walked out of the cave. She began to wave them to let them know that it was their princess in the cave and not a group of thieves. "I assume you are hear to collect me," she without batting an eye. Then she motioned to the cave, "There is a wounded man in there who is in need of help and I order you to carefully help him. I will NOT let you hurt him after I have so carefully tended to his wounds myself." she indicated to her torn dress. She stood before them with her back straight and looking like a proper lady with the except of her dress. As the soldiers went in to the cave they were alarmed at his Northern looks. The captain immediately unsheathed his sword and pointed it at Garris, "My lady this is Northerner!" Amira took a deep breath, "I said he was not to be hurt, captain! And I know that he is from the North, but he is just a traveler who was beaten down by some ruffians. Now help him to the camp!"

Before the captain could say anything, King Hadrian reached the cave with the rest of his men and gave both Amira and the captain a stern look. "Enough. Barvin, sheathe your sword. We are too honorable to fight unarmed men. And as for you, Amira, you defied my specific orders not to leave the camp. What have you to say for yourself?"

Garris held his breath as the king entered. There he was. The man he had been told repeatedly was an enemy to his people and their safety. Had he not been wounded, he might have contemplated killing him right now. But his wound was not the only thing stopping him, he realized. The king was honorable in the way he handled issues. He knew justice and clearly followed through with it. Even more important to him, however, was the knowledge that he was also Amira's father. He could not bear the guilt of causing her grief after all she had done for him.

She hadn't expected her father to travel with the soldiers so it was somewhat of shock to see him there. Her strong image wavered a little as her father walked in the cave. "Father? I--," she almost forgot her plan with Garris, but quickly she regained her strength. She looked her father in the eyes and spoke with a clear voice, "Father, I told you that you cannot keep me at the castle forever. And I told you that I wanted to help. But you refused to listen to me." She walked over to Garris but didn't look at him. Instead she knelt down to pick up her cloak and put it around her shoulders. "If I hadn't ventured out here then I wouldn't have found this man. And he might have died. So please forgive me, father, if I do it again!" Angrily she stormed out of the cave and mounted her horse.

King Hadrian shook his head. "See to it that she does not run off again," he told the captain. "War is easier than having a daughter," he grumbled to himself. He then looked at the man leaning up against the wall next to the fire. He was, indeed, in very bad shape. Hadrian dismounted his horse and approached the man with caution. "What is your name? And how did you come by this area?"

Garris thought quickly and effectively, coming up with the best possible story he could think of. "My name is Belin. I am a merchant trader who was traveling through the forest. I was unaware that armies were approaching. Some men came across my goods and demanded that I hand them over. I assumed they were thugs at first, but I believe they were northern soldiers. I refused and, as you can see, that did not sit well with them."

"Don't you dare lay a finger on me, captain! I swear I will retaliate if you do!" She wasn't in the mood for the guard to make her do anything she did not want to do. Through all the frustration she was very worried about Garris and hoped that her father would believe his story. She had already mounted her horse, but her guard wouldn't let go of the reigns. She wouldn't have ridden off till she knew what was going to happen with Garris, but it didn't hurt to have her father believe that she wanted nothing more to do with the man.

Hadrian eyed the man suspiciously. His features were certainly northern, but he did not seem to possess any ill will towards the soldiers in front of him. In any case, he would not have an injured man killed or punished simply for just being. He turned to one of his soldiers and spoke with a pointed precision. "Get him on a horse and have his wounds patched properly at when we reach the camp." With that he turned and swiftly exited the cave.

Garris could not believe the lie had worked. He would have to make sure the name Belin was not a surprise to him when he was addressed, but this was farther than he had expected to come. As the soldiers lifted him, he felt the pain shoot through his shoulder once again, and he bit down on his tongue to avoid screaming. Now the only question that remained was what he would do once he was in their camp... in the enemy's camp.

It didn't take as long as Amira thought it would take to get to the camp. But once they arrived she quickly dismounted her horse, grabbed the leather pouch with Garris's pendant, and quickly walked to her tent before the captain could stop her. She didn't have anything to change into since she sneaked into the camp in the first place. But thankfully her father was able to arrange for her to have her own tent. It was smaller then she was used, but it beat having to sleep in a cave. She paced her small tent with worry that Garris would be found out. She had to make a mental note to not call him Garris but Belin. It was not long before she couldn't handle it anymore and went to go find her father. She needed to know what he planned to do with Garris.

Status
Not open for further replies.