North Korean Children's Propaganda Cartoon; They Actually Have Animators

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dervish

Now for something completely different.

I stumbled across this little gem today and was absolutely floored by the fact that North Korea, a country best known for hilarious incompetence, a questionably successful nuclear program, and a dynasty of chunky little dictators with questionable lists of "accomplishments", actually made a children's cartoon that has animation that's actually sporting some impressive production value.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's going to have the unintended consequence of turning several unsuspecting North Korean children into furries and there's probably some rule 34 fan art/ erotic fan fiction about this series out there because that's what the internet does.

Enjoy North Korea's attempts at politically indoctrinating kids by making their US and Japanese analogs (wolves and weasels) look fucking awesome and technologically superior and sophisticated compared to the North Korean analog (squirrels and hedgehogs and shit), it's kind of awesome in a bad sort of way:

Those kids are going to be more fascinated with that table full of food than worried about any propaganda message. They're probably wondering why cartoons eat better than they do. (I only watched a few minutes of it. It kind of weirded me out....)

• Useful
Reactions: Dervish
Those kids are going to be more fascinated with that table full of food than worried about any propaganda message. They're probably wondering why cartoons eat better than they do. (I only watched a few minutes of it. It kind of weirded me out....)
You're probably not wrong.

It reminds me of the movies the Soviet Union liked to make showing how dangerous and corrupting Western values were, and instead of horrifying people, it just made American fashion and mannerisms (or at least Soviet interpretations of it) look fucking awesome and an entire subculture popped up glorifying it, sometimes to the extent of people getting arrested for it.

I kind of want to see this cartoon raise a generation of North Korean kids who raise hell for their government because they want answers of why an anthropomorphic wolf eats better in one meal than they do in a week.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
A somewhat related Fun Fact I learned from some critique I got on the SCP Wiki:

North Korea also has a K-Pop band styled after South Korea's bands:

Like, it's propaganda, but still! They're moving ahead!

lead_large.png

lead_large.png
Isn't there supposed to be singing? o.O I thought there would be singing about how dreamy Kim Jong-un was, and how he was the greatest ruler of the world, ever. Must have been some subliminal messages in the music. You know, like those ringtones only people of a certain age can hear?

Isn't there supposed to be singing? o.O I thought there would be singing about how dreamy Kim Jong-un was, and how he was the greatest ruler of the world, ever. Must have been some subliminal messages in the music. You know, like those ringtones only people of a certain age can hear?
More from them, with more propaganda:

I'll see what else I can find from them.

lead_large.png
More from them, with more propaganda:

I'll see what else I can find from them.
"The false pretenders in the South are decadent pigs that only produce evil, so we're totally not going to imitate their style. No way, Western Pig."

"The false pretenders in the South are decadent pigs that only produce evil, so we're totally not going to imitate their style. No way, Western Pig."
Nah, clearly the pretenders in the South ripped off of their Glorious music style. Because that's what fat Capitalist pigs do: Steal.

• Useful
I think North Koreans are only allowed to have one of 25 hair styles.
I think it might be a few less than that. I want to say 23, but it's been a while since I read the article about it. They're really ugly hair styles too.....

I expected the cartoon to be more offensive and gruesome than it is.
Watership Down has ruined me.

Reactions: A Big Bear
what is.. wh...what?
I+liked+this+ladys+face+im+going+to+use+this+_37165538b934f5eb0670016f5272d0a2.png

Oh and squirrel/chipmunk thingy saying "screw you" is hilarious can you imagine a cartoon aimed at kids saying that in the states ? lel

I think the most surprising thing here is that North Korea is depicting a positive example of a same-sex couple raising a child together.

It's shocking what North Korea will throw into Art when their people are literally starving.

The squirrels look weird as heck. Captain Keoteo and the weasels look nice even for villains.

NK you're doing it wrong D:<

The squirrels look weird as heck. Captain Keoteo and the weasels look nice even for villains.

NK you're doing it wrong D:<
I honestly kept getting confused while watching because I couldn't keep the squirrel protagonists straight. What the hell, NK? Every one of the antagonists has a unique and careful character design. Why are the main characters so easy to mix up?

I honestly kept getting confused while watching because I couldn't keep the squirrel protagonists straight. What the hell, NK? Every one of the antagonists has a unique and careful character design. Why are the main characters so easy to mix up?
Probably just lazy animation.

But for fun I'm also going to suggest it was intentional, in a "You are not an Individual. But a piece/pawn in a stronger and superior North Korea" sort of message.

Status
Not open for further replies.