"Normal" Things You Find Weird/Annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people answer questions for me that were directed to ME.

People who ride the left lane. The left lane is the passing lane not for those who want to poke around through town!

It is oh so tempting at times to take the 9 1/2 ton vehicle I drive at work and use it as a makeshift bulldozer. Alas I must exercise restraint for obvious reasons.

Popping joints. The sound is bad enough that it can be nausea inducing for me. Not sure why, it just disgusts me to see and hear the act. x__x And if anything on my body pops, I freak out a little.

People who constantly try to do fancy tricks with their cigarette or vape smoke. I don't like being around those things in the first place, so I get extra grumpy when they're trying to make themselves look cool.

And I don't know if this works for this topic, but... Girls who wear leggings as pants. =____=
I'm going to throw the word vape, vaping, and any of the derivatives on my list as well, because it's fucking said with such a knowing shit eating wink and people keep advertising it like it's safer than smoking, which it hasn't been around long enough to prove that. The only positive thing I've read about it is that people have apparently been effectively using it as a means to quit smoking, which is great. Just don't make a whole subculture as obnoxious as the 420 pothead culture and we'll be fine.

Reactions: EquinoxSol
Or when people say "Happy Holidays"
I'm actually legitimately curious as to your reasoning behind this one. I'm guessing it has to do with people substituting Merry Christmas with Happy Holidays? In my case, I know myself and a bunch of other people use it interchangeably, especially since people usually have time off from work around Christmas and what not.

I just dislike it because I shouldn't have to change my way of saying "Merry Christmas" in the sake of someone who doesn't celebrate it. It shouldn't be found rude, and I actually love when someone who's, for an example, Jewish and wishes me a "Happy Hanukkah".

I just dislike it because I shouldn't have to change my way of saying "Merry Christmas" in the sake of someone who doesn't celebrate it. It shouldn't be found rude, and I actually love when someone who's, for an example, Jewish and wishes me a "Happy Hanukkah".
That's what I thought, and that's definitely fair, especially if you actually have people telling you that saying Merry Christmas is offensive. I'm the same way, I really like when people wish me a happy Hanukkah or Ramadan because it's not them cramming it down my throat, it's just them genuinely sharing their love for the season with someone else. I'm fortune in the sense that I've never really had anyone tell me "YOU HAVE TO SAY HAPPY HOLIDAYS BECAUSE MERRY CHRISTMAS COULD BE OFFENSIVE TO SOMEBODY!", but I have heard of some places refusing to call Christmas trees that name or even hanging them up when they used to because some overly PC jackwad hates pretty much the least offensive cultural tradition of them all.

Reactions: tart.
I have the exact same sentiments.

Or when people say "Happy Holidays"
I would say I dislike this, too, mostly because it's one of the more prominent examples of how contemporary culture puts undue value on eradicating any and every possible instance of someone being annoyed, inconvenienced, left out, or, getting their widdle feewings hurt as opposed to simply letting us all be diverse and do our own things without reprisal or censure and if, whoops, I tell someone who doesn't celebrate "Merry Christmas," they can just maybe shrug it off and get on with their day. I know I still prefer that phrasing over "Happy Holidays," and I can barely keep my eyes from rolling or my mouth from spewing vitriol if I have to set foot in a church.

Oh, and like others have said, children. Maybe they say or do something amusing or remind you of your own childhood, which is nice enough. But then there's all that tantrum-throwing or diaper-soiling or the colossally tedious stories their parents have to tell you about them. Not to mention the awkwardly self-conscious mindset I'm locked into when they're around, sort of like when you don't want to set some strange dog off by moving too suddenly or accidentally step onto a land mine. Because the idea of some conclusion-jumping third party misconstruing me as a perv sorta freaks me the fuck out.

Reactions: Dervish
Genuinely surprised I didn't get rocks thrown at me or something.

Another reason why I love this site; accepting people.

• Love
Reactions: Dervish
Genuinely surprised I didn't get rocks thrown at me or something.

Another reason why I love this site; accepting people.
The jury is still out on that.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Well, for the most part. You're always going to have the sour pusses somewhere. ;P

• Thank You
Reactions: Kaddoc
That's true. All websites, communities etc. are going to have their ups and downs.
It's just a matter of finding the site with either the highest percentage of good people, best measures to handle the bad, or any healthy mix.

-------------

Not sure if these were mentioned before but:

• Sharing/using the same utensil or glass. I know that logically it makes no sense, it's not going to kill you or anything. But it in the back of my friend I still go nuts over it. There's only a few exceptions which are: If it's a significant other (If you can make out with them, why is sharing a drink an issue?), if a younger cousin is offering... I'm bad at saying no to my little cousins at just about anything.
  • Ripping Paper. I don't know why, but the sound of paper ripping (or scratching chalkboards or using sand paper) just makes my brain hurt.

The idea that sharing is the same as trading. I've had it happen to me fairly often that people seem to expect that if they offer me some of their food, they have a right to mine. And while I'm not always opposed to offering something in return, I don't like that they expect it when we made no agreement on the matter. All they said was 'Want some?' or some equivalent. That does not mean I need to say the same thing back. On the same vein, if I'm offering you something and not asking for anything in return, seriously, don't sweat it, I am fine with a lack of exchange.

Dirtying plates. I know it makes more sense to gather up crumbs on a plate that is meant for that rather than leave them to possibly(probably) fall to the floor, but I find it annoying when I have a two bite dessert or a cookie or anything like and I'm expected to hold onto a plate while I eat it. It is seriously not going to take me that long to make it vanish. And now I have a plate that needs to be cleaned because I touched it and pretended to use it.

I've recently started questioning the phrase 'Have a good day', and its equivalents. Mostly, it annoys me more that I've started to think about it than the phrase itself. But it suddenly comes across as more demanding than well-wishing.

The fact that I can't use text to communicate with everyone.

If someone says homosexuals

tumblr_m6zbsx6aQZ1rq3mhg.gif

GODDANGIT!

Anyways mine is when people are overly religious.

People who pick mages over templars in Dragon Age.
People who bitch about templars and treat mages like gods.
Both sides aren't good/bad, they're supposed to show the ambiguity of the real world. Like, there's blood mages/evil mages, and bad templars, but there's also good mages/templars, too.

I dunno, I typically side with the mages if I'm playing a mage, then the templars if I'm playing a rogue/warrior. :|

As for things that annoy me:

Guys who wear shorts in the snow and say that it's not cold. We get it, you're a douchebag.

People who say they don't like a person because they're a feminist/believe in equal rights.

Middle schoolers/freshmen in high school. Pretty much every person at that age is a horrible person. Source: was a horrible person in middle school.

Hyper-religious people, doesn't matter what religion.

Low talkers. You know, people who talk really low/softly. My aunt does this, and then gets mad when I can't hear her so I'll say what like five times then she still says it softly so I just smile and nod.

Low talkers. You know, people who talk really low/softly. My aunt does this, and then gets mad when I can't hear her so I'll say what like five times then she still says it softly so I just smile and nod.
And that is the part where I say "speak up" or "don't mumble", making it very clear that they're being way too quiet to understand.

That way, if I have to ask someone to repeat themselves a thousand times, at least they know it's their fault, and that maybe they should learn to speak in a way that others can hear if they want to be understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.