8 a.m. to 3 p.m. EST
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern Fantasy, Fantasy, Psychological, Action, Steampunk
red Character death isn't the right term for it, but all characters involved in the roleplay, save Umu, will vanish by the end of the roleplay. Keep this in mind when creating a character. Thank you.

Also, PLEASE CHECK THE THREAD TAB FOR MORE INFORMATION.

NONEXISTENTIALISM: FORGOTTEN

zY410K5.gif

"Hello, and welcome to the world of Nonexistence, where those who've ceased to exist continue to live on as ideas. If you're here, it means you've died. If there are no questions, I'll begin the guided tour immediately."

The World Of Nonexistence (Void)

The world of Nonexistence (or as some in the real world may call it, The Void) is a mysterious place. Everything that exists as an idea, myth, or legend exists here as a physical embodiment of it. Santa Claus makes residence here, as does Bigfoot, and the feared Kuchisake-Onna of Japanese mythology. Perhaps the more interesting part of this place is that, whether for a short duration or longer, people appear here after they've died.

As of this roleplay, the world of Nonexistence is where your character now finds themselves, surrounded by all sorts of mythological beings. But there's nothing to fear. These beings don't hurt anyone but under specific circumstances, which will be explained further below.

Out of all the myths and legends, and out of all the people that have come and gone through this place, there has recently been one constant - Umu Nanoko. Umu is a girl that has been in the world of Nonexistence for quite some time. She greets people as they enter, and, when they vanish even from this place and cease to exist entirely, she sees them off with a hug. Her backstory is a mystery, but, much like your character's own, hers is one that will be expanded upon throughout the roleplay.

In the world of Nonexistence, you can play as two different types of beings - a human that has died, or a mythological being. If you should choose human, keep in mind that humans exist here for as long as they remain an idea, or memory, in the minds of those still living. Once enough people in the real world have stopped thinking about you, you begin to fade away, leaving behind nothing more than a cube known as your "Essence of Existence". Umu takes these and transforms them into flowers, which she plants in a personal garden which is strictly off limits to all but her. If your character was well hated in the real world, the beings of myth and legend may attack you as a means of erasing you entirely from existence early. You may also come under attack if someone close to you tries to forcefully forget you. If you should choose to play as a mythological being of some sort, you must go about as you are described in folklore. You cannot, however, attack unless a character meets the circumstances required for one to be attacked.

Before we go on, I'd like to mention that there is no set plot for how things will play out. How things will go are dependent on you and your character's actions. This roleplay's main focus is on character development and interaction. It works to answer the question of "how would people react if they knew they'd died and were going to completely cease to exist as soon as everyone who knew them forgot them?" In that sense, it is very psychological and philosophical in nature. In accordance with the roleplay, it should be noted that all characters will eventually fade away. There are three ways for this to happen:

1. Your character is attacked and erased by one of the beings.
2. You are forgotten by enough people in the real world.
3. You ask Umu to erase you early, effectively forcing everyone who still remembers you to forget you.

Likewise, the only part of you that comes to this place is your soul. As such, emotions (such as happiness, anger, and sadness) are still felt, but physical pain (such as being stabbed or having a headache) are not experienced here.

Now, with the explanation out of the way, I'll go into more detail on the world of Nonexistence and what lies within.

• eb38afd360d4ce9624151db4deba5703.jpg

"This is the door through which all who've died enter. For some, it is merely an end, but for others, it may be a beginning to an end. Whichever it is for any given person doesn't matter. Everyone enters through that door just the same."

The Door of Ends is the door through which those who've recently died enter the world of Existence. One will not enter through the door unless chance of revival (i.e. a near death experience) is impossible. Entrance is signaled by the sound of bell that one might hear before church.

Here, Umu greets newcomers with her famous speech (seen at the top of the page). Some begin to fade as soon as they enter the door, while some may take years, or even decades before they start to go. Either way, all are met with a hug as they do.

• mountains-flowers-garden-dreams-anime-natsuyuki-rendezvous_www-artwallpaperhi-com_77.jpg

"Through this door lies a forbidden place that no one but I may enter. You would be advised against going in, as it's impolite to go wherever you please, even here."
    Umu's Flower Garden is where she plants the flowers that she converts from Essence of Existence cubes. Here, those who fade completely from existence are immortalized as flowers. Umu has done this for each person she's seen through the world of Nonexistence, so the garden is already very much immense. The garden is off limits to all but Umu, and no one is sure what would happen if someone did enter, because no one ever has.

• night-on-the-galactic-railroad-ginga-tetsudou-no-yoru-centarus-festival-circle-town-square-night-stars.jpg

"This is where everyone gathers, human and myth alike. You can talk and enjoy your time as you please here, so long as no one living excessively hates you. Food and drink are enjoyed here, but you don't need to indulge in them. They aren't a required substance for maintaining your existence anymore."
    The Centre is a gathering place for pretty much everything that resides within the world of Nonexistence. There isn't a necessity for food and the like, but beings and humans alike can still find pleasure in eating. A popular activity in the Centre is conversing. It is the most populated place in Nonexistence, so there's always someone, or something, to talk to or otherwise interact with. The door to Umu's garden is connected to the Centre, so many will often see her walking a new flower there when someone fades. Most of the beings have come to mourn at this time, knowing full well what it means to see Umu carrying a new flower.

The Door of Ends is also connected to the Centre. Newcomers will gaze eyes upon it as soon as they enter. Beings greet newcomers as they do so, but only those who lack a desire to kill as excluded by their folklore tale.

• latest

"This is where you will find your personal quarters. Each person has their own room. While inside your room, you will have nearly infinite creative power over what resides within. You can re-size your room at will, and make any sort of furnishings you desire simply appear out of thin air. This is the only place where you can ever truly hope to be left alone, and it is meant mostly as a place for personal reflection..."
    The Chambers of Solitude are where each individual human resides. The building is whole, but each room is separate, and people cannot enter each other's room. This is to allow for alone time, should someone want to reflect by their lonesome. The only person allowed to enter a person's "chamber" is Umu. Decisions about one's fate are most often made here, and little visit to the chambers is made otherwise. Humans are allowed to do with their room as they please, and the room itself acts almost like a space where the person who owns the room is a god, granting them the ability to create and place almost anything within it's confines. The room is almost in a different space, so humans can alter the size and shape of the room as they please.

Note: More areas may be added later on, but those currently listed are enough to give a general bearing of where your character(s) will begin.

With the location descriptions and concept explained, we can finally get to what you've been waiting for - the character sheets. As mentioned before, you have the ability to play either as a human, or as an existing myth or legend of your choice. Multiple characters are permitted, but I'd like to limit each participant to two for now.

Name (First or Full):
Age (Any is fine, people of all ages die):
Appearance (description or image, preferably in anime-style art):
Cause of Death:
Flower Representation (choose a flower that you believe best represents your character's personality, using this site):
Character Theme (a piece of music that represents your character):
History/Personality (VERY OPTIONAL; I plan for history and personality to be revealed throughout the roleplay, but fill this out if you feel so inclined):
Writing Sample (just so I can gauge your writing ability and determine if I feel you're up to this roleplay; may be fresh sample or link to previous roleplays):
Post Header Image (an image of your character to include at the top of each of your posts; optional):

Official Name:
Personal Nickname:
Summay of Tale:
Appearance:
Personal Touches:
Theme (same as that for humans):
Post Header Image
:

And that's it. Once your sheet(s) is/are accepted, I've added you to the cast list, and I've made my introductory post, you may begin posting.

---

1. Please follow all Iwaku rules and guidelines.
  2. No OOC drama. If you have a personal problem with another person in the roleplay, please talk it out in PM. If you feel it will inevitably affect the roleplay, please contact me.
  3. Posting expectations are at least two paragraphs in length, and at least one post a week. After two weeks of absence, I will make a post stating that your character faded.
  4. Be realistic with your characters. Everyone will fade eventually. Don't try to unnaturally drag it out to be the last one remaining. There isn't a special prize at the end. Do what feels natural for your character.
  5. Respect your fellow roleplayers. We're all here to have a good time.
  6. A message to those who will be playing Mythological Beings - humans don't have an inherent means to fight back against you, so please be respectful and do not attack. If you feel an attack would be natural, contact me and the person you feel can be attacked in a PM, and we'll discuss whether or not said character means the requirements. Keep in mind that Umu may intervene if she does not feel that the character should be erased, and the mythological being you're playing may be erased if a fight occurs.
  7. As the GM, my say is naturally absolute. Most offenses will be met with a warning so long as they aren't too severe and against Iwaku's own rules. A second offense, however, will warrant personal removal from the roleplay and a forced fading of your character as typed by me.
  8. This rule is probably the most important of all. Have fun!

---

I had some questions asked through PM from a potential participant, so I'll just post the answers in summary form here. Hopefully anyone who checks this thread out will have their question answered through this.

Now on to your questions. First, those regarding the seeming contradictions. I think the best way to explain it would be to say that only those who knew the person personally have any bearing as far as how long they'll remain in Nonexistence. Abraham's wife would probably have a much stronger emotional connection than would someone, say, fifty years into the future would. People remembering and having impersonal connections with him wouldn't have any bearing on him. The only beings in Nonexistence tied to it by impersonal, indirect connections is the mythological beings.

Now on to how much someone has to be hated. For that, it's measured as malicious energy for that person. A good example would be a criminal, say, a serial killer. Many people would naturally hate such a person. Such is an example of one that would get attacked. There has to be enough hate from enough people that would want the person to be completely erased from existence.

Now for the obvious "but what if he committed suicide before they found out it was him specifically" situation. In such a case, the person wouldn't be attacked, unless he was found out after death and people began to direct their hate specifically at him. If they never find out it was him, and the hate is never specifically pointed towards him, it wouldn't be counted against him, and he wouldn't be attacked. He would still eventually fade away though.

Just think about it as personal and impersonal connections. If Jesus was a real person, he would exist as a separate entity than that of the Christ figure of Christianity, because there is no Heaven or Hell in this roleplay. People simply cease to exist. By this, Christianity has no meaning.

As per people creating personas, it would depend on the connection. Video game characters are very unlikely to exist because they aren't believed to exist in a realistic setting. No one really thinks that Master Chief is out there somewhere fighting aliens. There are plenty of kids who really believe Santa delivers presents on Christmas, which is why he is able to exist here.

On the other hand, if we were able to eliminate the legend of Santa Claus to the point that children were no longer told stories, he would eventually fade away. If the myth was to be continued, Santa Claus would be reborn, but he wouldn't have memories of his previous "existence", if that makes any sense.

Just to recap and make sure I got this across clearly, for people, personal connections are key. Having personally known the person, and loving them, and spending time with them, etc, is what will keep them there. Reading about them in a textbook or receiving the positive benefit of a speech they gave would not be a factor in keeping them there. For myths, it's all about the mass following and belief in a real world setting. Frodo wouldn't exist in Nonexistence because there isn't enough of a belief that he would exist in a real world setting. Things of Japanese folklore and the like, however, would exist there, because society did, at some point or another, believe in their existence.

There would be a Jesus representative of the Christian faith there, but the Jesus that actually existed (not decrying Christianity by the way, I'm a Christian myself) would fade away long before the Jesus born out of association with the religion would.

If anyone else has any questions pertaining to this roleplay, please feel free to ask. I want to clear everything up as best as possible so we can all get the most enjoyment out of this roleplay.

Emd5hVY.jpg

Name (First or Full): Umu Nanoko
Age (Any is fine, people of all ages die): Appears 16
Appearance (description or image, preferably in anime-style art): See above.
Cause of Death: Slipped and fell off a bridge.
Flower Representation (choose a flower that you believe best represents your character's personality, using this site): Statice.
History/Personality (VERY OPTIONAL; I plan for history and personality to be revealed throughout the roleplay, but fill this out if you feel so inclined):
Writing Sample (just so I can gauge your writing ability and determine if I feel you're up to this roleplay; may be fresh sample or link to previous roleplays): N/A
Post Header Image (an image of your character to include at the top of each of your posts; optional):
0ft9fu3.jpg

whh5ubB.jpg

Name (First or Full): Frieda Elliot
Age (Any is fine, people of all ages die): 18
Cause of Death: Committed suicide by hanging.
Flower Representation (choose a flower that you believe best represents your character's personality, using this site): Hyacinth
Writing Sample (just so I can gauge your writing ability and determine if I feel you're up to this roleplay; may be fresh sample or link to previous roleplays): To Be Updated
wHjlEGX.jpg

QdhpMno.jpg

Name (First or Full): Onna Laison
Age (Any is fine, people of all ages die): 15
Cause of Death: Was unintentionally pushed in front of a truck by her abusive stepfather.
Flower Representation (choose a flower that you believe best represents your character's personality, using this site): Amaryllis
Writing Sample (just so I can gauge your writing ability and determine if I feel you're up to this roleplay; may be fresh sample or link to previous roleplays): To Be Updated
9NYAm5J.jpg

Last edited:
tumblr_m9of8re7DJ1r7i5h7o1_1280.jpg

Name (First or Full): Tachibana Kanade (A.K.A TK)
Age (Any is fine, people of all ages die): 17
Cause of Death: Heart failure (Arrhythmia)
Flower Representation (choose a flower that you believe best represents your character's personality, using this site): Red and White Rose (depending on where you live, also known as a Fire and Ice rose)
Writing Sample (just so I can gauge your writing ability and determine if I feel you're up to this roleplay; may be fresh sample or link to previous roleplays):
You wake up like it's any other day, sun is shining, everything flows like it normally does. Little do you know your world was about to change the second you meet him.

You enter school and it goes like it normally does, only odd thing is you have a test you were entirely unprepared for because it was never mentioned. Who knows how you did. (Here is where you start... just kinda pick your day up somewhere along there)

<By now you should have your intro post.... and then the event below happens right at the end... feel free to throw in your questions and things like that.>

After school ends, the oddest thing happens.... the world shimmers slightly and you notice that people are watching you, and you have no idea who they are, or why they are watching you....... yet. You eventually run into a kid not much older than you, but something is off. The music he is listening to sounds familiar, but different in a way. Noticing your odd look, he quickly replies. "You look like your confused. It's this style called Nightcore, ever heard of it? No? I guessed so. By the look on your face, and some watching you, I guess your the one I was meeting." He places his hand on your shoulder and everyone disappears, except you and him. "We have a moment of peace, allow me to explain some things, then we can introduce you to the others in the most exciting way."
Post Header Image (an image of your character to include at the top of each of your posts; optional):probably won't have one... though that may change.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Wryneck

<~~~<★>~~~>

bda378f9ca87fcce55171e55b022793b_20160212002022194_zpsdj13v2un.jpg

Name: Joey-Carlita Tigan Ellington

Appearance: 176cm / 65kg. 34C 28 33. Short Black Hair / Black Spanish Eyes. See above.
Cause of Death: Blunt Force Trauma to the Skull
Flower Representation: Freesia.
Character Theme: Ghetto Love
History/Personality: ... to be revealed throughout the roleplay.
Writing Sample: The Angel Escapes
Post Header Image : Same as Above

<~~~<★>~~~>

c334c20943c39f67d70ddbe9d6628323_zpskejdmbuf.jpg

Name: Martika Naomi McClane

Appearance: 155cm / 55 kg. 34B 24 36. Long Pink and Green hair w/ bangs (natural blonde) /Light blue eyes.
Cause of Death: Hypothermia.
Flower Representation: Yellow Chrysanthemum
Character Theme: La Fee
History/Personality: ...to be revealed throughout the roleplay.
Writing Sample: See JC sample.
Post Header Image: Same as above

<~~~<★>~~~>​

Last edited:
  • Love

<~~~<★>~~~>

bda378f9ca87fcce55171e55b022793b_20160212002022194_zpsdj13v2un.jpg

Name: Joey-Carlita Tigan Ellington

Appearance: 176cm / 65kg. 34C 28 33. Short Black Hair / Black Spanish Eyes. See above.
Cause of Death: Blunt Force Trauma to the Skull
Flower Representation: Freesia.
Character Theme: Ghetto Love
History/Personality: ... to be revealed throughout the roleplay.
Writing Sample: The Angel Escapes
Post Header Image : Same as Above

<~~~<★>~~~>

c334c20943c39f67d70ddbe9d6628323_zpskejdmbuf.jpg

Name: Martika Naomi McClane

Appearance: 155cm / 55 kg. 34B 24 36. Long Pink and Green hair w/ bangs (natural blonde) /Light blue eyes.
Cause of Death: Hypothermia.
Flower Representation: Yellow Chrysanthemum
Character Theme: La Fee
History/Personality: ...to be revealed throughout the roleplay.
Writing Sample: See JC sample.
Post Header Image: Same as above

<~~~<★>~~~>​
Accepted!

Cause of Death:
Flower Representation (choose a flower that you believe best represents your character's personality, using this site):
TK, can you move the image to within the spoiler like I altered in the quote? It's just to save a little bit of space.~

I'm just looking for a song, but other than that, i believe mine is ready to go.

Naturally as soon as I post that, a song pops up that explains her in a general scope.

4LPx3rg.png

Angelica Watson ↲

BASIC INFORMATION !!
Gender Female
Age Twenty [20]
Cause of Death Murdered

Flower Representation Pink Tulip
Theme Song Celestial - Tori Kelly

PERSONALITY !!
Caring
As implied by her flower representation, Angelica is a very caring person; so much so that it makes her look motherly. She cares for everyone and everything, not just humans but animals and even plants. Angelica isn't one to simply leave a suffering person alone, be it a stranger or one of her worst enemies.

/* more details will be revealed during the role play */

HISTORY !!
Death [spoili]
And so she laid there. Breathing started to become an ardious task to acomplish. Her vision was blurring, she can't tell if it was from the tears that were streaming down her face or from the fact that she was dying. Death. Never in her life did she ever imagine her demise to come this early. She was only twenty, her life was just starting! She looked at her attackers and gritted her teeth. There they stood arguing. One of them had their hands latched onto a young boy who was now passed out thanks to the drug they gave him, while the other held the knife that was plunged right into her gut just moments ago. Angelica could barely hear what they were arguing about.

"Why did you do that?! She was the kid's sister! We could've gotten more cash if we had them both"
"Half-sister. They're only half siblings. The boy is the heiress' kid. Besides! She was threatening to scream! I panicked!"

The one holding the boy merely shook his head and mumbled 'idiot' before heaving a sigh. "Clean up the mess you've made." He said before dragging the boy towards the black vehicle nearby. Angelica weakly and desperately tried to reach out. "N-Nate" she tried calling out, but she was too weak. Too much blood had escaped her body. Her once pristine white dress was now soaked in her blood. Her eyes remained rooted on the guy holding the young boy she called Nate, until they were blocked by feet belonging to the man who was responsible for the wound she was cradling. She looked up at his face only to see a wide grin on it.

"Goodbye" was the last thing she heard before everything faded to black; death consumed her.[/spoili]​

MISCELLANEOUS !!
Appearance
Angelica is a described as 'angelic' by many when she was still living. Not only because of her personality but also because of how she looks like with her light blonde hair which ends just below her shoulder blades, not too long but not short either. Her eyes are blue; her father has often told her that they resemble sapphires while her former lover has claimed they looked like the sky. Both eye and hair colours were inherited from her mother.

Writing Sample [ Female ] [ Male ]
Colour #fc92bb
Post Banner [spoili]
6hYBpEr.png
[/spoili]

Last edited:
  • Love
4LPx3rg.png

Angelica Watson ↲

BASIC INFORMATION !!
Gender Female
Age Twenty [20]
Cause of Death Murdered

Flower Representation Pink Tulip
Theme Song Celestial - Tori Kelly

PERSONALITY !!
Caring
As implied by her flower representation, Angelica is a very caring person; so much so that it makes her look motherly. She cares for everyone and everything, not just humans but animals and even plants. Angelica isn't one to simply leave a suffering person alone, be it a stranger or one of her worst enemies.

HISTORY !!
Death [spoili]
And so she laid there. Breathing started to become an ardious task to acomplish. Her vision was blurring, she can't tell if it was from the tears that were streaming down her face or from the fact that she was dying. Death. Never in her life did she ever imagine her demise to come this early. She was only twenty, her life was just starting! She looked at her attackers and gritted her teeth. There they stood arguing. One of them had their hands latched onto a young boy who was now passed out thanks to the drug they gave him, while the other held the knife that was plunged right into her gut just moments ago. Angelica could barely hear what they were arguing about.

"Why did you do that?! She was the kid's sister! We could've gotten more cash if we had them both"
"Half-sister. They're only half siblings. The boy is the heiress' kid. Besides! She was threatening to scream! I panicked!"

The one holding the boy merely shook his head and mumbled 'idiot' before heaving a sigh. "Clean up the mess you've made." He said before dragging the boy towards the black vehicle nearby. Angelica weakly and desperately tried to reach out. "N-Nate" she tried calling out, but she was too weak. Too much blood had escaped her body. Her once pristine white dress was now soaked in her blood. Her eyes remained rooted on the guy holding the young boy she called Nate, until they were blocked by feet belonging to the man who was responsible for the wound she was cradling. She looked up at his face only to see a wide grin on it.

"Goodbye" was the last thing she heard before everything faded to black; death consumed her.[/spoili]​

MISCELLANEOUS !!
Appearance
Angelica is a described as 'angelic' by many when she was still living. Not only because of her personality but also because of how she looks like with her light blonde hair which ends just below her shoulder blades, not too long but not short either. Her eyes are blue; her father has often told her that they resemble sapphires while her former lover has claimed they looked like the sky. Both eye and hair colours were inherited from her mother.

Writing Sample [ Female ] [ Male ]
Colour #fc92bb
Post Banner [spoili]
6hYBpEr.png
[/spoili]
Accepted!

• Thank You
Reactions: darkflames13
download.jpg[

Name
" Erm, was it Ricky Talp or something?"
Rodriguez Talf.
Male.
" 21 years, 2 months and 3 days. Ha, trust me to forget my name but remember my age."
Flower representation
" Venus flytrap no doubt."
Stripped carnation.
Cause of death
" Phones explode when you microwave 'em, who knew ? "
Explosion.
History/ Personality
N/A

Theme song

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love

Cause of Death: Heart failure (Arrhythmia)
Flower Representation (choose a flower that you believe best represents your character's personality, using this site): Red and White Rose (depending on where you live, also known as a Fire and Ice rose)
You wake up like it's any other day, sun is shining, everything flows like it normally does. Little do you know your world was about to change the second you meet him.

You enter school and it goes like it normally does, only odd thing is you have a test you were entirely unprepared for because it was never mentioned. Who knows how you did. (Here is where you start... just kinda pick your day up somewhere along there)

<By now you should have your intro post.... and then the event below happens right at the end... feel free to throw in your questions and things like that.>

After school ends, the oddest thing happens.... the world shimmers slightly and you notice that people are watching you, and you have no idea who they are, or why they are watching you....... yet. You eventually run into a kid not much older than you, but something is off. The music he is listening to sounds familiar, but different in a way. Noticing your odd look, he quickly replies. "You look like your confused. It's this style called Nightcore, ever heard of it? No? I guessed so. By the look on your face, and some watching you, I guess your the one I was meeting." He places his hand on your shoulder and everyone disappears, except you and him. "We have a moment of peace, allow me to explain some things, then we can introduce you to the others in the most exciting way."
Post Header Image (an image of your character to include at the top of each of your posts; optional):probably won't have one... though that may change.
Yep. Accepted!

I should have an intro post up by the end of the upcoming week, guys. It depends on how my school assignments pile up.

At any rate, I might add some characters to my own list, because TK mentioned the possibility of this having multiple iterations. You might've noticed that I've added "Forgotten" to the end part of the roleplay title. I'm going to try to go along with Umu's canonical development, so there will be "Forgotten", "Ambivalence", and "Remembrance".

You guys will be free to create more characters and join the next iteration if this one turns out well and you like it.~

Status
Not open for further replies.