NO DOMINION | Dark Fantasy Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi~ I'll be dropping another CS for you to review, hopefully by tomorrow.

Alrighty, WIP is up, probably finishing it sometime tonight unless I head out.

Some more (maybe) informative and entertaining looks at swordplay. As I'd mentioned a sparring partner in Olayne's very, very tight group of acquaintances - this serves as a great example of how a training session between the two of them might go! Also, it showcases exactly how elegant medieval swordfighting techniques could actually be.

Enjoy!

Also a personal favorite of mine - this one by a group of german practitioners of HEMA.

Enjoy this too!

And because not everyone's using old faithful, the longsword - here's a bit more diverse showcase, including dagger fighting, sword'n'buckler, polearms and others.

Behold!

You might see some hints of Star Wars in these, if you've seen the prequels. Beyond everything else those movies do strangely, lightsaber fighting was intentionally made extremely fast and acrobatic - not unlike these demonstrations. Just goes to show you that speed and technique tend to win the day in a melee.

Naturally having a longer weapon gives you an advantage in a fight, you keep the foe at a distance and they can't stick you. But you might be surprised that a dagger was actually one of the favorite weapons of knights, as more of a sidearm. A popular tactic was to get close enough to pull the knife out and stick it under the armpits, back of the knees and throat - where the armor's not nearly as solid and a solid hit usually means victory. So yeah, pretty much rogues in plate armor. And your classical rogue fellow can do much the same. Course, they can't take the hits on the chin as good wearing lighter or no functional armor at all, but that's where the element of fantasy comes in - an opponent that is -inhumanly- agile and quick can easily offset or even trump someone's advantage of reach.

Also a disclaimer! When we get down and dirty and into the RP itself, I won't be keeping an eye out if people are actually trying to describe ''realistic'' combat. I'm not here to be judge and jury on your preferences and skills as a roleplayer and writer. It's just something fun that I like to be informed about - and want to share with the lot of ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: O|NoSoul
Some more (maybe) informative and entertaining looks at swordplay. As I'd mentioned a sparring partner in Olayne's very, very tight group of acquaintances - this serves as a great example of how a training session between the two of them might go! Also, it showcases exactly how elegant medieval swordfighting techniques could actually be.
Thank you for the helpful notes. I'll definitely save them for future use.

Honestly, though, I'll not reprimand our RPers for their attacks unless they seem too fantastical. You know, leaping from the ground and slicing a bad guy in half, or becoming a "whirlwind." or more or less causing bloody explosions through common attacks.

That being said, I enjoy all realism that can be applied to this RP. So, I'll definitely read this. I don't know about anyone else, but again this isn't their SOLE RP. XD

@SanguineCetus @O|NoSoul @Grothnor @LVL1337N00B @WishfulNemo @Misaou @Jakers @Firewombat @Whisket

I have made the opening for the RP Dec 26th, Saturday. I will post once a week in this RP even if you have not posted or not. I hope a week is good enough. Anyway, until then I've decided to hype the RP up.

I will ask you questions, once a day, for your character. You DON'T have to respond to everyone, but I would want you to respond to at least ONE.

TODAY'S QUESTION:

IF YOUR CHARACTER WAS STRANDED ON AN DESOLATE ISLAND WHAT ARE THREE THINGS THEY WOULD BRING?
Please keep those three things within this world (i.e. no TV, Wifi, Random Boats, Phones, Etc.)

TODAY'S QUESTION:

IF YOUR CHARACTER WAS STRANDED ON AN DESOLATE ISLAND WHAT ARE THREE THINGS THEY WOULD BRING?
Please keep those three things within this world (i.e. no TV, Wifi, Random Boats, Phones, Etc.)
That date is good for me, boss.

Onto the question:

A sling, a knife, and a filled waterskin.

In the event there are no animals:

A bottle of poison for those lonely nights

Enjoy!

Also a personal favorite of mine - this one by a group of german practitioners of HEMA.

Enjoy this too!

And because not everyone's using old faithful, the longsword - here's a bit more diverse showcase, including dagger fighting, sword'n'buckler, polearms and others.

Behold!

You might see some hints of Star Wars in these, if you've seen the prequels. Beyond everything else those movies do strangely, lightsaber fighting was intentionally made extremely fast and acrobatic - not unlike these demonstrations. Just goes to show you that speed and technique tend to win the day in a melee.

Naturally having a longer weapon gives you an advantage in a fight, you keep the foe at a distance and they can't stick you. But you might be surprised that a dagger was actually one of the favorite weapons of knights, as more of a sidearm. A popular tactic was to get close enough to pull the knife out and stick it under the armpits, back of the knees and throat - where the armor's not nearly as solid and a solid hit usually means victory. So yeah, pretty much rogues in plate armor. And your classical rogue fellow can do much the same. Course, they can't take the hits on the chin as good wearing lighter or no functional armor at all, but that's where the element of fantasy comes in - an opponent that is -inhumanly- agile and quick can easily offset or even trump someone's advantage of reach.

Also a disclaimer! When we get down and dirty and into the RP itself, I won't be keeping an eye out if people are actually trying to describe ''realistic'' combat. I'm not here to be judge and jury on your preferences and skills as a roleplayer and writer. It's just something fun that I like to be informed about - and want to share with the lot of ya.
Fuck I love HEMA. Have you seen this one or it's later iteration yet? It's nice to see it at full-speed to see just how brutal it could be when you're outside of say, a judicial duel or one where it's to first blood or something. It's quite a different idea that fights to the death are usually over in seconds rather than wonderfully choreographed fight scenes.

I've tried- and failed many times, sadly- to find movies that satisfy both my love of fast, dirty, realistic fighting and terrifying ultra-violence. I watch a lot of HEMA videos and they give me a glimpse into what it was like to fight in duels, not so much open combat on a battlefield, maybe.

The Oldboy fight scene might be cutting it close, but I like it mostly because there aren't any fancy flying jump-kicks, just boxing and smacking people with a hammer, using a closed and tight space to create a bit of a disadvantage to his opponents. Realism =/= Realistic, though.

In RPs, I generally like people to be a bit realistic in fights. Never stray too far from the main group, try to outsmart their opponent rather than test who has the most plot-armor, and hey, get hit once in a while and make it hurt. I hate it when people use bandits as cannon-fodder to slaughter willy-nilly when bandits are hardened, unscrupulous, desperate men who've killed more people than anyone in the party.

And also, make killing another human being something that weighs on the character's mind, lest they become a bit unrelatable. Of course, there's a difference between self-defense and sneaking up on a man you have no immediate good reason to kill and putting a knife in his neck. It's not really touched upon how much action anyone in the party has seen, but I suspect some haven't killed someone in cold blood just because they were ordered to.

Yay, discussing the morality and hardship of killing and death! :DDD

Given that -I'm- not playing on the same team as the rest of you, in the long term, I think that'll make for some interesting interactions.

TODAY'S QUESTION:

It sort of depends on what the island's like, buuut, considering we're in a survival scenario, Lakkta would probably take the following. If there was some sort of teleportation scroll around, she'd probably have the skill to use it. But I'm assuming our characters are meant to stay on the island, so...

>A large length of tough rope.
>A steel throwing medium. (Multiple if allowed, but assuming here that only 1 can be taken.)
>A big, copper pot.

TODAY'S QUESTION:

"A flintstone, a blank book, and a waterskin, probably. Though it depends on what kind of answer you're looking for. If your purpose is to find out what kind of things I'd like if I could only get three for the rest of my life, or just an extended period of time, without needing to consider survival, then three books, if not three shelves full of books. On the other hand, if you're looking for things of a more practical nature, then a nautical chart, a compass and a boat, preferably a fishing skiff. Either way, three answers for a stupid question."

Onto the question:

A sling, a knife, and a filled waterskin.

In the event there are no animals:

A bottle of poison for those lonely nights
Sounds very practical. I approve.

Given that -I'm- not playing on the same team as the rest of you, in the long term, I think that'll make for some interesting interactions.
I need to further discuss this with you. Sorry, I'm the worst at replying to PMs. Our characters may have a lot in common. Consider my currently unknown NPC a fan of your character.

>A large length of tough rope.
>A steel throwing medium. (Multiple if allowed, but assuming here that only 1 can be taken.)
>A big, copper pot.
You are allowed more than one throwing medium. A throwing medium is an object within itself no matter the ammount. But yes, I love the hunting heavy aspect of this character. ^_^b

"A flintstone, a blank book, and a waterskin, probably. Though it depends on what kind of answer you're looking for. If your purpose is to find out what kind of things I'd like if I could only get three for the rest of my life, or just an extended period of time, without needing to consider survival, then three books, if not three shelves full of books. On the other hand, if you're looking for things of a more practical nature, then a nautical chart, a compass and a boat, preferably a fishing skiff. Either way, three answers for a stupid question."
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Your character makes me laugh. In a good way. Man, I love all these characters people have. It's a great cast.

Character has been finished.

Alright, let's have it - who wants a piece of Olayne - she's certified, one of a kind prime beef. Just look at those succulent, rippling abdominals. And those hands that look callused something fierce, probably from punching hot embers.

Who could say no to that? 6.5/10 would swipe right. And so should YOU!

SECOND QUESTION:
Pick another character from the Sign-Ups roster. You can discuss this with them or not. Inevitably detail me your night out with them.
Mine? Or my character's?

Aolan and Lakkta: They are given a week of leave from the Army to gallivant around the town so long as they cause no trouble. Of course, they don't. Being the only two people left out of everyone else's plans due to each of their seemingly antisocial tendencies. Naturally, Aolan has his deep-set frown and squinted eyes on his face. He decides to go for a walk down to the tavern to have one, and only one, drink. Just enough to relax, not enough to dull the senses completely. Lakkta would probably end up ruining his routine when he gets another of the same drink sliding down the bar to butt up against his outstretched hand. Lakkta payed for it, and Aolan decides, "what the hell" and raises his pint above his head to drink one more, seeing as it was a kindness done and he's not a complete monster, and also there's another one of his ilk hanging around to watch his back.

They probably don't talk to each other besides Aolan muttering a thanks and Lakkta ever-so-slightly nodding in response. Overall, the night out was okay, 10/10, would drink again with Lakkta because she doesn't blather about nothing in his ear and she pays for drinks. Aolan more than likely returns the favor by buying her a drink as well, so starts an unspoken bond of friendship and camaraderie.

My own night out with Lakkta? We both say nothing and she is allowed to buy me so many drinks that I get far too drunk for my own good. Drunk enough that I start dancing. Badly.

• Love
Reactions: Jakers
D QUESTION:
Pick another character from the Sign-Ups roster. You can discuss this with them or not. Inevitably detail me your night out with them.

Alright. So a night out with Claudia and Saree. Well if they have curfews I imagine Claudia would be breaking it. And since Saree usually follows her I could see him trying to get her to go back. Being the good boy he is. Claudia on the other hand probably can't sleep well at night anyway so going on night walks or star gazing is probably a habit of hers. After shooting down Saree like it's their routine I can see them having a relaxing discussion under the stars. To a degree I can even see Claudia dropping her "tough girl" act for a bit. But only for a little while. She has a reputation to uphold after all. Besides, she wouldn't let herself get all sentimental with Saree.

I can also see them almost getting caught and in trouble for pulling pranks in the middle of the night like they're children. The. Claudia running away laughing Saree trying to keep up with her.

What do you think @WishfulNemo ? XDDD

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia
Alright. So a night out with Claudia and Saree. Well if they have curfews I imagine Claudia would be breaking it. And since Saree usually follows her I could see him trying to get her to go back. Being the good boy he is. Claudia on the other hand probably can't sleep well at night anyway so going on night walks or star gazing is probably a habit of hers. After shooting down Saree like it's their routine I can see them having a relaxing discussion under the stars. To a degree I can even see Claudia dropping her "tough girl" act for a bit. But only for a little while. She has a reputation to uphold after all. Besides, she wouldn't let herself get all sentimental with Saree.

I can also see them almost getting caught and in trouble for pulling pranks in the middle of the night like they're children. The. Claudia running away laughing Saree trying to keep up with her.

What do you think @WishfulNemo ? XDDD

Saree: "Mistress, it is getting late, shouldn't we head back already?"
Claudia: "Lighten up, Saree! Live!"
Saree: "I won't be living for long if we get caught, mistress."

BONUS: I can see Saree proceeding telling Claudia that the nightsky is created by pulling a blanket over the world and that the stars and the moon are rays of light from the actual sky ("we call it day") peeking through the holes of the blanket. XD

Or some other lie that she would believe from him. Haha.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Sailor Arti
Aolan more than likely returns the favor by buying her a drink as well, so starts an unspoken bond of friendship and camaraderie.
Lakkta gives a very slight gesture that probably means 'thank you'. When she eventually decides to try some of the alcohol, she's so lost in thoughts that she forgets the fact she's wearing a mask when she tries to drink, bumping the cup into her mask and spilling the drink over her torso in the process.

"......" :(

She appreciates the gesture anyway, and when enquired why she doesn't just take off her mask to drink, Lakkta just shakes her head slowly in response, and leaves what's left of the drink for Aolan - probably making him more intoxicated as planned if he drinks that, too. Whilst the two would probably say literally nothing for the duration of the night out, I feel like they'd get along well, and slowly understand each other in their own little ways, as they both have an observant nature. Plus they both appreciate each other for not being loud and rowdy. So overall 8.872/11 - NightGN would recommend drinking with a manhunter again.

Lakkta's interaction with most other characters would probably be either her following them to a chosen place just to be polite, or acting extremely stiff and shy due to fear of the imposing nature/feared background of some other characters. I can imagine her practising melee combat in the moonlight with a few others to improve her weaknesses, but she's so laughably weak that she'd likely fall over when parrying a weak attack from the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.