No Avatars in the "In Character" Forums - DISCUSS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going along with Char's idea, that wouldn't be bad, but I'd opt in to keep Titles as well. It makes it easier in general for people to find Staff Members if they're not aware that specific colors mean specific things.

And it is kinda hard for us to find people that need our time, plus it'll let other people see the new blood that's joined, and speed them up in hijacking the new talent for their stories.

So, I think what should be done is under options, have a list of check boxes, one for every item that goes along with a post: Avatar, post count, Signature, etc. Each checkbox toggles whether that item is visible or not. The only thing that you cannot remove is usernames and the title that says their a member/staffie/etc. Does this sound fair to everyone? that way if some people want no sigs, while others no sigs and avatars, or if you want them all, you have the freedom to customize it your way. You could possibly even go farther and decide which threads these effects are applicable for, though that might make things TOO customizable. Thoughts?

Meh, my only objection to taking out signatures is that that's where I advertise all my RPs, and it would make sense if someone was reading posts in one of my RPs and was like, "Hey, I like this guy's writing, I should join an RP with him! But what RPs are he in?" but be kind of annoying to not have them.

MY personal opinion is very 50-50! I like both styles for different reasons. D: As a GM, it IS easier quick view over a thread and find certain posts when I can see the avatars. ..Of course, I could also just look at the User Names too, but the avatars definitely stand out better.

But, I also like how without them, it kinda puts you "in the scene" better. All you see is the posts and the character pics/text. You don't have all the outside interference or mistakenly mix up character and player.

And it would be flat out sucky to take out bbcode and char pics. XD No one is eeeever gonna do that!

What I DON'T like for sure, is having huge annoying siggies all in the way, though. And since you can still see siggies in the OOC areas, you still get the custom and advertising goodness from them, without having big text and pics in the way when you're trying to scroll and read IC posts. D:

Right now, there IS options in your UserCP to hide siggies/avvies. But it'll do it on the WHOLE board. :/ We'd need options for hiding them in specific forums, but there's no way to do that yet.

So.. I am all for keeping just the Names & Avatars, and removing all the extra stuff, like the siggy and post count data. We'd have the avvies for easy recognition, but still get rid of the eyesore clutter that detracts from the roleplay posts. o__o

Reactions: 1 person
Me likey, Diana!

It'd be a worthy compromise since you've indicated the site's design doesn't allow for easily setting up options for every member that way. I thought it might be a little difficult to implement, just from looking at the way the forum seems to work.
(I don't know much of anything about programming or HTML but I can sometimes tell when something would be hard)

I'm in agreement with Drac and Diana and Char, the image helps me pick up who needs a butt-whoopin' prod to post, but the siggies especially the big flashy ones tend to distract me (especially with links in them because I always want to click them and get lost in ADD land) so I'm on the side of keeping avatars but getting rid of fluff and siggies.

Keep the avatars and sigs up. Even though I don't GM I immediately identify recent posters. That's a good thing.

I prefer Avatars and sigs to show, I love them as it gives you a personality and what people are into. When people don't have an avatar or a sig it just seems like an unkown person that you'll probably never see again.
I like avatars as they give you a face without your real face.

Status
Not open for further replies.