1. Intermediate
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern, Romance, Action, Dark
I just learned recently that the president and CEO of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata, passed away at the age of 55 from a growth on his bile duct. When I first heard the news, I honestly thought it was some kind of joke. But unfortunately it's real :( This saddens me right in the feels and I think my gaming heart just broke.

I know that feel.

It is a sad day, indeed. He'll be missed.

Rest in Heart Pieces, Iwata. May the triforce be with you in your journey to the afterlife or your new life (for those who believe in reincarnation). -puts hat on chest- You will be missed. -sits in corner and sobs-

• Love
Reactions: Midian
yeah, all them guys now hitting 50s/60s. face it, gamers, we're about as many generations in as the game systems themselves.

2015-07-13.jpg

Good bye Iwata. You saved Earthbound. You created one of the hardiest and once most innovative gaming companies in the world. You helped shape my childhood. May you sit like a giant on mushroom throne, while guarding the triforce and awaiting the return of Giygas.

I don't know what to say, I knew it would happen someday but... I'm still really sad...

Iwata, if it wasn't for him, who knows how utterly depressed many of us who turned to gaming in times of need would be. He has worked hard to change the world, and has succeeded in turn.

I hope Nintendo will honor him for what he is and always will be.

• Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Good bye Iwata. You saved Earthbound. You created one of the hardiest and once most innovative gaming companies in the world. You helped shape my childhood. May you sit like a giant on mushroom throne, while guarding the triforce and awaiting the return of Giygas.
With his baby Metroid to protect him, he is the only hope to save the Lylat System.

We better start cryogenically freezing Miyamoto

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: LunaValentine
A friend of mine wrote a piece on him that I feel is fitting here.
Quick Send off to Iwata. The man made his first games while he was in high school. Yes they were primitive but he was in HIGH SCHOOL. I made one game in a summer camp during the summer between 9-10 and then gave up. This man stuck with it until his death. He worked part time at Hal laboratory while he was in university. He worked part time at a game company while in UNIVERSITY. Anyone who works even part time while going to college/university will tell it can get really difficult trying to manage your time for work and school. But most kids I know who work part time are doing them at simple retail stores or waiting on tables. This guy worked for one of the biggest game companies at the time while in University. THAT IS INSANE! When he graduated he worked on games such as kirby and Earthbound. He was elected to the CEO of Nintendo making him the company's first CEO not from the family that had started the company almost a century earlier.

While at Nintendo he encouraged the company to pursue development of the Nintendo DS the same system that holds the record for the best selling handheld system and the second best selling gaming system period. He also encouraged Nintendo to pursue the Wii. While the Wii certainly had its downsides the core idea behind the system, the idea that he kept pushing, was the idea that gaming could be for everyone. Games like Wii Sports allowed people of all ages, young and old to play games. I can't remember how many christmases Easters and thanksgivings my family spent playing wii sports. My grandfathers retirement home had a wii because the residents wanted to create their own Mii's and play against each other. SENIORS were playing the system, people who didn't even knew what Nintendo was played that thing. No other gaming company would've ever dared to try something so insane.

While he was the CEO he always considered himself a gamer and tried his best to always have Nintendo fans in mind when making business decisions. When the 3DS went down in price months after its release he offered the "Ambassador program". Where people who had purchased the system already got 20 free games, 10 from the NES and 10 from the GBA. And these weren't stupid throwaway titles either. These were games like "Super Mario bros 3". "Metroid", "The legend of Zelda minish cap". These are some of the best games ever made and the were given away completely for free to fans who remained loyal to Nintendo and Iwata. Not to mention that Iwata himself took a 50% pay-cut when Nintendo was losing money. Let me say that again. His company was doing poorly and instead of laying off his employes Iwata the Big CEO took a 50% PAY-CUT. I dare you to find a CEO who was that dedicated to his employees.

Any one who's a true gamer knows that there's nothing worse than restarting a level when things start looking look grim. Your health's down low and your out of ammo/power ups/arrows or what ever and the enemy overpowers you in every way. But you don't restart, you fight on. No matter how bad things got for Nintendo (and still are *cough amiibo distribution cough*) he never abandoned his company or his fans. He fought hard all the way to the end like a true gamer. If their is an afterlife... A 'level 2" in a sense, then I hope he's enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.