Nifty Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Celest

Original poster
there-is-app.jpg

Do y'all have a favorite app? Have you found one that's really rad?

I recently found a few apps that are pretty neat. They're all based around writing. Pretty much, they're just random generators for a character or story. They give you a skeleton of a character or plot. You just fill in the rest! I think it's great. And they come up with some pretty interesting things! I also installed an app that gives me a writing prompt everyday. Which, I know you can find a ton of those online. BUT STILL. I dunno. I think they're cool =P I probably won't keep them very long. I never keep an app very long.​

Plant Nanny - I use it daily. It's adorable. It helps me keep track of how much water I drink.

I love plant nanny. The rest of my phone apps are like shopping lists, and bookshelf, and silly games

Reactions: Celest
Plant Nanny - I use it daily. It's adorable. It helps me keep track of how much water I drink.

I love plant nanny. The rest of my phone apps are like shopping lists, and bookshelf, and silly games
I had Plant Nanny for a bit! It was completely cute. I just struggled to keep up with it. So, even though I was drinking much water I'd forget to water the plant.

Has anyone heard of that app Zombies, Run! ? It's fantastic. If you like running, and zombies, and the safety of it not being real zombies, I'd highly suggest it.

I guess it's not nifty, but it's incredibly fun if you're looking to get in shape.

Reactions: Turtle of the Tired
Has anyone heard of that app Zombies, Run! ? It's fantastic. If you like running, and zombies, and the safety of it not being real zombies, I'd highly suggest it.

I guess it's not nifty, but it's incredibly fun if you're looking to get in shape.

I think I've seen it in the app store. I might have even stopped to look at it.

I think I've seen it in the app store. I might have even stopped to look at it.
Well, if you're looking for exercise.... that's your ticket right there.

Uh, I have two shiny ones that I like. One is Prey, which basically lets me link my phone with my email and such. If my phone gets stolen, Prey will let me log in from my computer, lock down my phone remotely, turn on the gps, and stuff like that. I've never had any phone stolen but it seems worth it to have.

On the lighter side (hehe), I have Aurora. It looks at my location and predicts whether I'll be able to see the aurora outside so I can get out and look. It's kind of nifty, even if it's hard to see even with high percentages because the city I'm in still has a decent amount of light pollution.

Reactions: Celest and rissa
I have a love hate relationship with all of the apps on my phone tbh. I'll download them, then take them off a week or so later because I'm not using them very much.

On the other hand, Spotify is my most loved app. I use it all the time- when I'm sleeping. Soft music helps me go to bed! xD

Then, I have some apps I use on occasion, like Whatsapp, Shazam, USAA, Pinterest, Weheartit, etc... all that kind of jazz.

I use whatsapp mostly, or the chrome app. Google Maps for traffic!

I have a love hate relationship with all of the apps on my phone tbh
I feel you there. I want to be the person that is amazing with app management and whose life changes when they find a certain app. But nawwww. The apps soon fade into nothingness.

• Love
Reactions: junebug
Spotify, YouTube, TuxGuitar for tablature. That's as far as my phone's usefulness extends. I text a LOT, sure, but apps? Games aren't immersive enough and the screen is too small for me to enjoy writing apps. So, I have it for my texting and music needs.

I have quite a few apps on my phone, but I only ever use one or three. That's G-mail, Writer Plus, and occasionally Spotify. Sometimes I might even use Pinterest (best place imo to look for writing prompts or start storyboards if that's your kinda thing), but honestly I very rarely even use my phone in the first place, even for chatting. There are no games on my phone either since for some reason they don't really catch my interest.

Writer Plus is a very nifty app though, in my opinion. It's simple and I can use it to take notes, or write stories while I'm on the go. I like knowing that I can write while waiting for something or during a commute, when I don't have access to my laptop. It passes the time. Or rather, it makes my time productive. So that's nice.

I also have an e-book reader which I love. I prefer real books but sometimes these can be unwieldy when you're out and about, you know?

I'd say Scrivener is also pretty nifty. It seems pretty complicated at first and can be hard to get used to, but there's tons of things you can do with it, especially if you like world-building or simply just having all the information, research, drafts, and whatnot organized in one place. I rarely use it these days since I don't have time to write long stories, but it's still a good app for writers. Expensive, but probably worth it if you're a determined writer and all.

My tablet is old so it has limited app space, but I did manage to put on Pathfinder Masterwork Tools and Spellbook.(install separately). Don't want to lug around books or a laptop for your night of not-D&D? These apps got you covered to fill out those characters sheets. ;)

The two most used apps on my phone are Hearthstone and Star Wars Force Arena. Kills my phone battery, but they keep me occupied when I'm on break or waiting at college for my next class.

The Google Doc app. Being able to write while on the go is fantastic, whether it is for school or for casual writing. I have both my accounts linked so I can switch easily, but it makes my life so much easier when I'm pressed for time and am travelling a lot.

Another favourite is iBooks, being able to read without that extra weight with me is nice. My bag is already heavy enough. XD

Other than that I use a lot of chat apps on my phone like Whats'App, Discord, WeChat, etc... all for different purposes, but mostly because people are picky over their ways of contacting others and I can't have a laptop open 24/7. I do like the red pocket feature on WeChat, however! *^*d

I just found a new app. It definitely feels like it is a work in progress, but its usefulness far exceeds my incredibly judgemental attitude at the moment. It's called Mealtime, and you can plan a week's worth of meals on it, it gives you the grocery list that you need to make those meals, and then tells you how to cook them. It's great an amazing time saver considering I do plan all my meals weekly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kitti
Status
Not open for further replies.