Newbie Care Package: We'll Help You!

Discussion in 'NEW ARRIVALS & DEPARTURES' started by The Mood is Write, Sep 13, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

Hi! Welcome to Iwaku! We're so glad you joined. Here at the Newbie Care Package, we've got a few special gifts and resources we'd like to offer you, to help you get comfortable and make yourself at home in our community.

• ♪ ♫  ♫ ♪ •

Our Gifts:
        A mentor.
        Links to on-site content.
        Helpful off-site resources.

About Mentors:
    When the site seems impossible to navigate, the Q&A section seems daunting, or the rules confuse you, sometimes you just need a helping hand.

Mentors are staff members who have eagerly volunteered to offer help to new or struggling members. From the start of your first PM, your mentor will be your personal question-answerer, compass, and advisor for so long as you keep in contact with them.

It is our hope in the NCP that your mentor will be your first of many friends on our site, and help you feel at home in our lovely land of literary leanings.

[​IMG]

How can you get a mentor? Just fill out this form and post it into the thread!​

Hi, @The Mood is Write! I'd like a guide, please!

1. Do you want to do group roleplays, 1x1s, or both?

2. Do you prefer to RP by chat, by forum, or are you indifferent?

3. How well are you navigating Iwaku itself? Are you on mobile or browser?

4. What would you like help with?

5. What's your opinion on cinnamon bagels? ;) ;)

If you want to, you may copy the code directly below.
    [CENTER][div=font-size: 16px;][color=#ff4d4d]Hi, [USER=13939]@The Mood is Write[/USER]! I'd like a guide, please![/color][/div]
    [div=width:90%; border:1px solid #000000; margin:auto; padding:4px;][div=border:1px solid #ffffff; text-align:left; margin:auto;padding:10px;]
    [color=#ff4d4d]1.[/color] Do you want to do group roleplays, 1x1s, or both?
    (answer here)

[color=#ff4d4d]2.[/color] Do you prefer to RP by chat, by forum, or are you indifferent?
    (answer here)

[color=#ff4d4d]3.[/color] How well are you navigating Iwaku itself? Are you on mobile or browser?
    (answer here)

[color=#ff4d4d]4.[/color] What would you like help with?
    (answer here)

[color=#ff4d4d]5.[/color] What's your opinion on cinnamon bagels? ;) ;)
    (answer here)
    [/div][/div][/CENTER]

• ♪ ♫  ♫ ♪ •

Inside this block, you can learn some about our lovely mentors!​
    Introductions
    :quill:» @The Mood is Write «
    Hi! You can call me Moody or Modwri. I'm 28, and have been on Iwaku since December 2014, when I was down about being banned from a previous site I'd been on. Since then, Iwaku quickly restored my faith in RPing and RPers, and I've never once regretted joining this lovely site. Iwaku feels like home, and I want to share that 'at home' feeling with everyone I meet!

:clownfish:» Nemopedia «
    Welcome and hello! I'm Nemopedia, your blubbing encyclopedia~ Feed me questions and I sprout answers! Most call me Nemo, so feel free to call me that, or choose from my list of other weird nicknames by dialing 'blub'. I have been on Iwaku since January 2014 and stuck around ever since. I hope that you will enjoy this place as much as I do; with some sparkly-shiny help from the newbie care package.

:alienhominid:» Joan «
    Heya! I'm Joan, a seventeen-year-old nerd who's been here since December 2016. I came here because a friend recommended it to me and I needed a change of atmosphere, and it's been amazing to me so far. I feel safe and at home here more than I do anywhere else, and I hope I can extend a bit of that to you!

:writing:» Elle Joyner «
    I'm Elle! I've been a site member for a little over a year and am proud to be a moderator for the Community Department. I've been roleplaying for roughly eighteen years and am a stay at home mom of two wonderful, precious kiddos - they, along with my husband are the loves of my life - but writing come pretty close to the top. In particular, I enjoy fantasy storylines and world building, and anything with odes to political intrigue, suspense or mystery. I'm also a giant sap and enjoy bits of fluff ~ I'm a shameless promoter of prose and lover of happy endings, and as you've probably guessed if you've read my title, I am an avid fan of reinventing classic fairytales. I'm really looking forward to working with you and helping you dip your toes into this new and exhilarating world of roleplaying in your new home on Iwaku.

:blackcat:» Greenie «
    Meowdy, my name's Greenie, a cat-crazy Canadian who loves to read and write fantasy! I've been here on Iwaku since April 2015 and haven't found a place more comfortable, what with all the friendly open minded folk. I'm glad to have the chance to help you out and extend the caring and friendly hand that I myself received when I was in your shoes!

:downcat:» CrystalTears «
    Hi there! I'm CrystalTears, you can call me Crystal or any other combination you manage to conjure up of my name! I have been here since 2014 and roleplayed for just as long! Do not let my "maintenance department" banner fool you! I am a very outgoing and easy-going person, who also happens to be a complete Nintendo nerd, along with many other games! Iwaku might seem like a big and intimidating site, but it is a very welcoming and I am proud to call myself a moderator of this site, and I would love to make your first experiences here just as wonderful! Welcome to the site newbie! And welcome to the Newbie Care Package! ^o^

:mycookie:» Dipper «
    Hello hello! I'm Dipper, designated Cookiemaster of Camp Iwaku and the coolest kid on the block. I've been hanging around Iwaku for a solid three years and have since made it my job to make you folks feel comfy. Like you, I enjoy mashing buttons on my keyboard until stories come out, so maybe we can bond over our mutual love for keyboard destruction while I take you on an exciting adventure through Iwaku—free of charge!

:fox:» Nav «
    Hi, I'm Nav. I'm a super chill chemist, writer, master wordsmith, and aspiring interpretive dance PhD. I'm originally from Brazil, grew up in Scotland, and am now living in the States. I ride horses and have an affinity for foxes. If we ever meet, I suggest you be armed with your best pair of underwear and pipe-cleaners. You may need them.

:raven:» Peregrine «
    Hello, I'm Peregrine! I've been a member of Iwaku since 2013, and will be hitting my one year anniversary as a Security Staff lead in November. Don't let my red title scare you, I love to chat with people and be silly, just so long as you don't take my mock-serious attitude too much to heart. I am an obsessive planner and worldbuilder, with a deep love for making up religions, drawing maps, and experimenting with the English language. I am an almost exclusively a one on one player, but I love both forum and chat based roleplaying. Looking forward to meeting you!

:crab:» Tarieles «
    Hello there, I am Tarieles! Please call me Tari or Creb. I am the resident trashy meme crab. I am a relatively new Iwakuan, joining in 2016, but I have roleplayed for most of my life. I have lived in the States for my whole life, but I love the thought of travelling (because who actually has the money for that lol). I am an excitable person, and I love posting in all caps BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS EITHER EXCITING OR INFURIATING OHMIGOD. I am a friendly person, with a deep love for worldbuilding and creating new cultures. I am definitely more a group RPer, but I also do 1x1. Hope you have a fun time here! Happy writing!

:snake:» Eru «
    Hi there, I'm Eru. I've been on Iwaku for close to a year now, but I've been writing and role-playing for longer than that. I like video games, cozy places and warm drinks. This forum has been a breath of fresh air for me, in meeting new people and satisfying my cravings for vicarious adventures, and I hope to extend that same atmosphere to you too!

:wave:» PoetLore «
    My name is PoetLore and I am a Moderator here at Iwaku. I've been a member for over a year, and I LOVE it! I really love the role play, but I love the other features of the site as well, the inspiring muses forum, and the many monthly community wide contests, are two of my favorites. I really enjoy meeting new people and making new friends. I have a ton of grandchildren (13) and they keep me young. I'm looking forward to meeting you, and helping in any way I can.

:axeman:» Jorick «
    Hello, I'm Jorick, the Security Administrator of Iwaku. To oversimplify things a lot, I'm sort of like the police chief of Iwaku. I don't crack skulls unless it becomes necessary, so I highly recommend reading the site rules to avoid such trouble. Anyway, now that the PSA is out of the way, time for the quick resume: I've been on the site for around three years so I know it quite well, I've been roleplaying since 2005 so I have a pretty good idea of how it works, and I'm basically the best so if you get thrown at me for mentoring you are a lucky little newbie. Regardless of whoever ends up being your mentor, enjoy your time on Iwaku, and if you have any troubles don't hesitate to ask in the Help Desk or send in a report to the Security staff if necessary.

:dragon:» Kitti «
    Welcome to the site, I hope that you're having a nice time so far. I'm Kitti, one of the admin on Iwaku. Just from looking around and having my hands on all the areas of the site, I know where a lot of things are and how it works and I'm happy to lend a hand with that information. Don't mind my avatar and signature - it's a long story wherein the admin sacrificed ourselves nobly for a fundraiser. I probably match Jorick, Astaroth, and Diana in some way (you can check them out too!). I look forward to meeting you!

:turtle:» Turtle «
    Hello, I'm Turtle. I've been on Iwaku since 2014. I'm a member of the Security team here and enjoy working to keep Iwaku safe for all its members. When I'm not roleplaying, I enjoy playing video games (ARK is my current addiction), and reading. I'm a college student so whatever time I have left over is all occupied by that. As far as roleplaying goes I prefer 1x1. I really like getting to know my partner and having more say over how the story is going to go. I love worldbuilding, and deep layered plots with subplots and mystery and intrigue and fun and adventure. I don't really have a set genre that I write. Well, anyway, looking forward to meeting you. Tootles~

:boxer:» ~Happily.Ever.After~ «
    Hiya! I'm Happily, I joined Iwaku a bit over three years ago, but have been actively roleplaying for probably close to seven or eight years [i think]. Anywho, I am always happy to help and am a huuugggggeeee Disney Nerd with the biggest soft-spot for animals [former vet tech student, current equestrian and fur-baby owner]. I also tend to be known as a crazy character lady, generally having upwards of 20 or more characters in each group rp [I really love juggling characters :3]. I am always available to talk [or listen if you need]!

:marsrover:» Applo «
    Hi, I'm Applo. First of all: Welcome to Iwaku! It's a great place to hangout, roleplay, showcase your own writing or even make friends. I hope you like it here. Now a little about me: I'm from the United Kingdom, The Discworld books are my favorite book series and my hobbies outside of rping include Scuba Diving and watching Netflix. I came to roleplaying and Iwaku at the same time and it was quite a learning curve. I hope that I can use what I've learnt to help you settle in here without any hassle, so if you have any question at all, please don't hesitate to throw them at me.

[​IMG]

Creative Content

On Iwaku, we have several forums (found under the Creative Content header on our main page) where we focus on improving skills. These are home to not only valuable resources, guides, and lessons, but to challenges and exercises as well! If you're looking to improve your ability to write and RP, these forums are the best place to look.

• ♪ ♫  ♫ ♪ •

Art Shops
    These threads may offer some cool stuff to newbies.
    External Links
    Using these links, you can create character images for free.

[​IMG]

#1 The Mood is Write, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    • Love Love x 7
    • Bucket of Rainbows Bucket of Rainbows x 1
  2. Welcome to Iwaku, Orgrin!

You'll need to send the first message to your mentor, who will help you learn a bit about all that our site offers and how to find things! To do so, just click @Nav 's name. A mini-profile will come up in the middle of your screen, and then you can just click the link to "Start a Conversation" in order to get to the PM page!

3. Welcome aboard, Bunny! Good to have you here!

I think that @Peregrine will make a lovely mentor for you! You need to send the first PM, so click the name in the ping. A little profile will come up in the middle of the page, and you can just click "Start a Conversation" to go to the new PM page, and her name will be in the recipient area already! =D

4. Thank you i will do so :D

• Love Love x 1
  5. Hi, @The Mood is Write! I'd like a guide, please!

1x1s

Personally by chat though going to be honest pretty new to the scene in general

Im mainly on pc occasionally on browser

Really, just tips on where to start i'm a wee bit overwhelmed to be honest. haha

*cough* No comment :)

6. Welcome aboard, Daizayk! We're happy to have you here. =D

To reach your mentor, you need to send the first PM. Just click @Jorick 's name. A box will appear in the middle of the screen, and it should have a link that says "Start a Conversation". Click that, and it'll take you to the new PM screen, and Jorick's name will already be in the "to" field. =) Just type a subject and your message, and hit send!

7. Hi, @The Mood is Write! I'd like a guide, please!

1. I do 1x1 rps

2.I prefer rp by messages.

3.I am on bowser and I can navigate it well

4.finding out on good characters to make a rp with and getting a opinion on my own characters.

5.i believe that cinnamon bagels are delicious.

8. Welcome to Iwaku, Melty! I'm going to assign @Greenie as your mentor!

Just send a PM to @Greenie by clicking their name in the ping, and then click "Start a Conversation" to get in touch! <3

• Bucket of Rainbows Bucket of Rainbows x 1
  9. Greetings @The Mood is Write ,

Since it's been some time since I did a roleplay in a forum, especially here on Iwaku, I feel I need a refresher course of sorts. With that out of the way, on to the questions

1) I can work with either, though I like a small group count (2-3others) for group rps.

2) I'm flexible for both.

3) I largely access Iwaku via mobile, though I do occasionally have browser access.

4) Character motivation\"evolution", plot creation and world building.

5) Yes. Warm with soft blueberry cream cheese

#48 blackangel, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  10. Welcome aboard, Black! Nice to meet you. =D

I'll go ahead and assign a mentor who I think can help you out with that good stuff. You need to initiate contact, though—just so that your mentor is aware you know how to send a PM.

Just tap @Eru 's name. A little mini-profile will come up in the middle of your screen, and then just find and tap the "Start a Conversation" link to get to the PM screen! =D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hi, @The Mood is Write! I'd like a guide, please!

1x1, in groups people tend to ignore me ;w;

Chat I guess, I'm more used to it anyway.

Pretty good! I'm still a bit shy to post, but I did find one really cool mod and a very nice person. I also checked out the site on mobile and it seems to work like magic!

Maybe some tips on how to make posts/threads more interesting, since I suck at doing stuff like that..

If it's like a cinnamon bun, I am down.

12. Hi, Mae! Glad you made it, lil cinnamon bun! <3

Since I know you can send a PM already, I won't go into detail on how to, but you will need to be the one to send the first message to your mentor.

So, go ahead and fling some love toward @Joan , who I think can help you a lot with thread and post tips, plus she's a sweetheart and always super eager. I think you two might become great friends!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hi, @The Mood is Write! I'd like a guide, please!

I'd prefer 1x1 roleplays :)

I prefer forum roleplay, but I am not opposed to chat.

I use browser and will most likely always be on browser. As for the navigation, I feel like I am doing okay there. The whole site is rather daunting honestly, there is a lot here and this is the biggest site I have ever been apart of for roleplay. I feel like I could find what I am looking for if pointed in the right direction if needed.

I am not new to roleplay, but I do feel as if I could grow more. I think mostly I'd like a mentor for helping with getting started on the site and to help me get out of my bubble. I am relatively anxious when it comes to new things and I think my biggest fear is being out of place or making a fool of myself.

Delicious! Sounds like something I need to go get xD

14. Welcome to Iwaku, Vasillisa! I'm glad you joined us!

I'll assign you a mentor here in just a moment. First, I want you to know that you will need to message your mentor first, just so that they know you're aware of how to send a PM—funny enough, that's the thing that took me the longest to figure out on Iwaku!

Just click @Kitti 's name, and a mini-profile will appear in the middle of your page. In that will be a link to "Start a Conversation", and following it will take you to a PM screen where you can write and send a PM! =D