New ratings system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you're not a true fan......thats the law of the interwebs.
Screen_Shot_2012-09-13_at_9.39.39_AM.png

And they were worried people wouldn't abuse the ratings..

Now it looks like a race to see who can get the most rainbows or whatever the fad is.

Without negative ratings we have to actually state what we don't like about something.

Thank you, @Jorick, for making this a debate thread.
No problem. When I made it I expected a lot more debate on the merits or lack thereof of removing the negative ratings. :P

However, I disagree with your assessment of two of the new ratings. Useful is very different from Thank. Now instead of thanking someone for posting something useful, there's a rating just for that. I expect to see it getting the most use in the Content sections and the Help Desk. You can thank people for a lot of reasons other than posting something useful, so it's still a useful rating. See what I did there?

I don't see Bucket of Rainbows as dismissive at all. I see it as just being silly and nonsensical. That fact that it is a positive rating will probably help to keep it from being used in a dismissive fashion.
In my opinion, the real issue with the negative rep points where that people handed them out because they simply disagreed with someone's opinion on a subject rather than that that opinion was actually highly provocative or insulting.
Who ever said negative ratings were meant only for highly provocative or insulting content? I don't get why people took them so seriously, to be honest. I saw them as being just the opposite numbers to the positive ratings. Just as the positive ratings didn't mean "you're a great person and I love you," the negative ratings didn't mean "you're an awful person and I hate you" as far as I'm concerned. Disagreeing with someone's opinion should have been a totally valid reason for a negative rating in the same exact way that agreeing with someone's opinion was a totally valid reason for throwing a Like or Love at their post.

But that's just my take on it. I've noticed that most people who have talked about negative ratings see them very differently.

Have you considered a hobby?
I have many, but splitting my free time between them all can be quite challenging.

Technically I guess Thanks and Useful could both be replaced by 'Like', but they each seem a little more specific to me.
With the advent of Facebook logic, pretty much everything can go under Like.

I see your point about using Thank in regards to compliments. However, from what I've seen, most compliments take the form of the Like and Love ratings as is, so that form of Thank would seldom see use. In addition, the vast majority of Thanks I have seen in use are either for guides, useful RP info-drops, or thanking someone for doing what nobody else would either in expressing an opinion or structuring a strong logical argument.

My worry is that the more we dilute similar rating schemes into such subsets, that they will either become so meaningless as to be used too often—such as what has become of the rainbow and cookie—or specific enough as to be too rarely used—such as the wrench and the star. Up until @Darog came along, there was a nice balance between the use of the ratings, with Cat-Like Typing Detected and the other negatives—Dislike included—being somewhat less frequent for understandable reasons.

this is fucking disgusting, I hate you all

I don't think I ever actually used a negative rating because I prefer telling people more expressively when I think they're a Dickasaurus Rex of epic proportions, but this happy-go-lucky faux-positive circle-jerking is just awful. It's cancerous. Shudder-inducing.

Or that may just be the unpleasantly warm beer I'm drinking. Ugh.

I do personally agree with Jorick that negative ratings aren't in nature mean or malicious.

However, I will note the fact it added negative points on your account opposes to positives meant that if enough we received (in good nature or not) that the person could end up being looked down on or distrusted by others.
Because the negative ratings gave the impression of "I am a trouble maker".

I don't see Bucket of Rainbows as dismissive at all. I see it as just being silly and nonsensical. That fact that it is a positive rating will probably help to keep it from being used in a dismissive fashion.
Nonsensical feels dismissive to me.

After all, what could possibly merit a rainbow? The rating just seems to be a gush of lulzy emotion with a total disregard for the content of the post. Looking at ratings alone, you can sort of get a sense of what might be contained in the post, on an extremely basic level. But not for rainbows. They tell you nothing—it's a filler rating because you wanted to rate something but didn't know what to put.

Essentially, the rating tells you more about the person rating the post than the poster themselves. Does that make sense?

I understand people may see it differently, but until an actual meaning is given to it, I can see as nothing but pointless.

However, I disagree with your assessment of two of the new ratings. Useful is very different from Thank. Now instead of thanking someone for posting something useful, there's a rating just for that. I expect to see it getting the most use in the Content sections and the Help Desk. You can thank people for a lot of reasons other than posting something useful, so it's still a useful rating. See what I did there?
It is useful, yes. But I don't see Thank being used very often once Useful takes hold. It's a matter of balance. Each rating should be equally significant, equally useful, and Thank will have far less uses than its companions in this new scheme.

After all, what could possibly merit a rainbow? The rating just seems to be a gush of lulzy emotion with a total disregard for the content of the post. Looking at ratings alone, you can sort of get a sense of what might be contained in the post, on an extremely basic level. But not for rainbows. They tell you nothing—it's a filler rating because you wanted to rate something but didn't know what to put.

Essentially, the rating tells you more about the person rating the post than the poster themselves. Does that make sense?

I understand people may see it differently, but until an actual meaning is given to it, I can see as nothing but pointless.
I think it's just one of those "This is a fun thread, fun for everyone!" sort of rating.
Which is fine, but it should be a neutral rating in that case.

Holmshire. You over think this way to much. You don't need a "perfect" balance with emoticons. YOu don't need a balance at all. TO claim that you do is kinda analretentive. Thank you have a use, it will be rarer, but it's something you bust out when you are truly thankfull. IT has more impact that way. It's not rocket science.

It is useful, yes. But I don't see Thank being used very often once Useful takes hold. It's a matter of balance. Each rating should be equally significant, equally useful, and Thank will have far less uses than its companions in this new scheme.
Seeing nonsensical as dismissive comes down to a personal connotation thing, so there's no use arguing it.

As for the Thank/Useful thing, if all ratings ought to be equally significant and equally useful then the system is and always has been totally imbalanced to the point of being broken. How frequently do posts really merit "WTF Did I Just Read" or "Cat Like Typing Detected"? They're nowhere near as useful as basic utility ratings like Like and Love.

I don't see any real need for balance among the ratings. Some will naturally be far more useful, thus used far more often, even if you were to distill it just down to the basics. I figure usefulness should be the only metric that matters, and it doesn't need to be equal. If the rating is useful, it's worth having, end of story.

• Useful
Reactions: Pachamac
The answer is neither? Neither likes or dislikes have any place in "debate" threads. I use them for humorous content or for posts that I enjoy, but when you use either rating in a debate thread it is just the method [of] the mob.

Last edited:
How frequently do posts really merit "WTF Did I Just Read" or "Cat Like Typing Detected"?
i sorta always thought the cat should just merge with the googley face

The system was always broken, but they fixed half of it and broke the other half worse.

): i refuse to be happy about the new ratings

This is gonna be a shitstorm to people who log on in a few hours
I was pretty damn shocked when I logged in and found rainbows from my alerts. I simply stared at the fancy color thingy for a while. Then I laughed. Because rainbows are fabulous.

I also quite like the cute facehugger.

Regarding the negative ratings being gone: I didn't give a shit about them before and I ain't gonna start now.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Ser K+
Just type out your damn feelings, you bunch of cunts.

Everything is good except the Rainbow. It's at risk of becoming a Haters Gonna Hate brush-off. The kind of thing Gwazi would emblazon on the twerking butt-cheeks of John Simm and put in his avatar, just to really assure us that he won't be changing his mind on anything.

It's a shame we can't segregate the "Lulz" positives from the "Genuine Productivity" positives. Most of my 3000 ratings were due to roleplay posts, but under the new era people might think I just have a stalker throwing rainbows and cookies at me. We've kinda lost the quality of positives here.

But that shit can wait till the next era.

The kind of thing Gwazi would emblazon on the twerking butt-cheeks of John Simm and put in his avatar, just to really assure us that he won't be changing his mind on anything.
Awww poor thing. :(

You're confusing self confidence with ignorance.
*Gives Asmo a special hug to cheer him up*

I will use the "useful" rating as a sarcastic rating when the post isn't useful at all. Yeah. Not only will I angry type at you if you fuck up...I will give you a sarcastic rating. Whoever debates when it's not needed...you will suffer a "useful"

Bitches.

(Credit goes to the friend that thought of this.) >:C

Status
Not open for further replies.