New ratings system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hugs for everyone! <3

• Useful
Reactions: Ser K+
Oh for the love of- Ser K+ the Wrench Thrower and ElBell the Person who's actually drunk because she drinks too much because she thinks everyone else is drunk... Soon we'll have an IwakuCon and these people will be popular...

Like, Love, Thank, and Useful seem the most practical to me. The others are just kinda clutter despite how much I like telling people they type like cats.

Like, Love, Thank, and Useful seem the most practical to me. The others are just kinda clutter despite how much I like telling people they type like cats.
You've only given one cat typing rating, you fraud. :mad:

Well, if you really dislike something someone wrote, you could report them.

SHIT, YOU MIGHT HAVE TO DEAL WITH CONSEQUENCES! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?

So Oro, if you want to stir shit up for DIanerp, you can tell people to report you. GREAT IDEA

• Useful
How do you feel about this new ratings system? Are you okay with negative ratings being taken away, or are you mad that you can't Smite spam shitlords any more? Is Iwaku too soft and casual for hardcore roleplayers like yourself now?
When one guy got 15 negative ratings on a single post, spiralling them up the most negative ratings ranking to number 5 or something, you know it´s probably time to take away people's tools. I've also seen a bunch of drama and whining from others who did get smitten hard, whereas I would hardly consider Raizlin and Diana part of 'worst scum of this forum' that the rankings made them out to be. I think slitting the negative ratings' throat was a good thing. It hardly contributed to anything outside of massively, well, smiting people.

I think this is a good thing. Though I cant figure out for the life of me what's the purpose or significance of the rainbow rating.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Jorick and Torsty
When one guy got 15 negative ratings on a single post, spiralling them up the most negative ratings ranking to number 5 or something, you know it´s probably time to take away people's tools. I've also seen a bunch of drama and whining from others who did get smitten hard, whereas I would hardly consider Raizlin and Diana part of 'worst scum of this forum' that the rankings made them out to be. I think slitting the negative ratings' throat was a good thing. It hardly contributed to anything outside of massively, well, smiting people.

I think this is a good thing. Though I cant figure out for the life of me what's the purpose or significance of the rainbow rating.
Rainbows are a purpose unto themselves. Duh.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Why is no one else hugging one another?

I thought this was a loving community.

Thank you, @Jorick, for making this a debate thread.

I am not particularly averse to the rather sudden culling of the negative ratings. It is sensible to limit the ability of members to troll their fellows, and I myself have seen it done a number of times. Even to the point of scaring off a new potential member of the Iwaku community—I had a firm talking-to with the culprit, but nothing I could say would dissuade him from his sinister course, unfortunately. I myself only use the No Just No rating a couple times, and that rating shall be the one I am most sad to see go. It was very useful, far beyond the entirely inflammatory Smite. I feel it could be useful as a warning rating, with the negative effect removed.

But to the bulk of the issue: the new additions.

As was stated by @Brovo, Thank and Useful are rather redundant. Useful is just a sub-meaning of Thank, and dilutes the potential quantification of said ratings. Similarly, Bucket of Rainbows is essentially a less meaningful and now actually positive-inducing version of the You Get A Cookie. You Get a Cookie could be used for a variety of meanings, such as the following:
  • "Well, you tried."
  • "Hah! Good one."
  • "Well done!"
  • "Nice effort, get lost."
Amongst others. Bucket of Rainbows, however, has effectively no meaning beyond dismissive praise. Essentially, "You must live in some messed-up idealistic world to think that a valid response." Everything about the Bucket of Rainbows is dismissive, as if the very post it is rating isn't worth the effort of actual thoughtful consideration.

That being said, You Need a Hug is a nice addition, though its colour isn't optimized for the Medium style settings and it is of a different size compared to all the others, causing both clutter and design clash.

10-03-2015%203-31-00%20PM_zpsj8x44hyb.jpg

Jorick clearly isn't a creature capable of expressing love... :(

@Holmishire I don't think that much thought was behind this decision.

In my opinion, the real issue with the negative rep points where that people handed them out because they simply disagreed with someone's opinion on a subject rather than that that opinion was actually highly provocative or insulting.

That being said, You Need a Hug is a nice addition, though its colour isn't optimized for the Medium style settings and it is of a different size compared to all the others, causing both clutter and design clash.
Have you considered a hobby?

• Useful
Reactions: Ser K+ and Torsty
Thank you, @Jorick, for making this a debate thread.

I am not particularly averse to the rather sudden culling of the negative ratings. It is sensible to limit the ability of members to troll their fellows, and I myself have seen it done a number of times. Even to the point of scaring off a new potential member of the Iwaku community—I had a firm talking-to with the culprit, but nothing I could say would dissuade him from his sinister course, unfortunately. I myself only use the No Just No rating a couple times, and that rating shall be the one I am most sad to see go. It was very useful, far beyond the entirely inflammatory Smite. I feel it could be useful as a warning rating, with the negative effect removed.

But to the bulk of the issue: the new additions.

As was stated by @Brovo, Thank and Useful are rather redundant. Useful is just a sub-meaning of Thank, and dilutes the potential quantification of said ratings. Similarly, Bucket of Rainbows is essentially a less meaningful and now actually positive-inducing version of the You Get A Cookie. You Get a Cookie could be used for a variety of meanings, such as the following:
  • "Well, you tried."
  • "Hah! Good one."
  • "Well done!"
  • "Nice effort, get lost."
Amongst others. Bucket of Rainbows, however, has effectively no meaning beyond dismissive praise. Essentially, "You must live in some messed-up idealistic world to think that a valid response." Everything about the Bucket of Rainbows is dismissive, as if the very post it is rating isn't worth the effort of actual thoughtful consideration.

I imagined 'useful' to be more geared towards helpful articles and such. Where the Thank rating may also be applicable, I think Thanks is better suited to rating compliments and such. An example of positive feedback in the Gallery section specifically comes to mind. Technically I guess Thanks and Useful could both be replaced by 'Like', but they each seem a little more specific to me.

The absence of the negative ratings is negligible to me. They are imaginary points so who cares if someone is petty enough to start staking them against someone else. Then again, I can see how their removal entirely could help prevent some squabbles. I agree however that maybe the 'No, Just No' rating could be useful, and I like your idea of having it without the negative points associated with it.

@Holmishire I don't think that much thought was behind this decision.

In my opinion, the real issue with the negative rep points where that people handed them out because they simply disagreed with someone's opinion on a subject rather than that that opinion was actually highly provocative or insulting.
I once got a negative rating because I didn't much care for a specific Fire Emblem Character. :P
People can be very petty at times.

HEY MAN, Fire Emblem is a pretty big deal to some of us!

Never played any of them.
I liked the game as a whole. :P
It was just one character I didn't care for. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.