New Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Windsong

Original poster
So I'm looking at what might be a very rare job opportunity coming up within the next 24 hours.

It'll be working in a quarry that mines aggregates. My position would have me in a booth overlooking a pit where four dump trucks constantly drop stuff in. It's air conditioned and all I would be doing is monitoring pressure gauges and operating two joysticks that handle two massive water cannons to keep it moving.

It's 18 an hour USD, with double pay overtime for two hours a day, five days a week. Full benefits and the like.

Compared to my 10 an hour custodial job I have now.

Anyone else come across an opportunity they're wary to dive into because it does sound almost too good?

Truth is I haven't even applied for it. But the position will be open and I could be the first candidate.

I love my days off, of which there are many, two weeks Christmas, spring break, any day where there's no school.

And the hours would have me opposite my wife. Me 630 to 5 and her 230 to 11.

But dat money...

I'd go for it to be honest.

I mean, you don't see a shooting star twice.

But that's just me, and my mind is always on the money.

Used to see shooting stars almost nightly for a while..

The money is a big thing. And I put up with lots of shit for my pay and certifications.

1,100 dollars a week though..

I've never had anything like that happen to me yet.

But if you're being given a chance to double your pay, and it's something you want/are willing to do for it?
Then I'd say go ahead and do it. Just make sure you take some measures to still spend time with the wife, that way the work hours don't overwhelm you two and have you both grow separated or anything.

Last edited:
I've had anything like that happen to me yet.

But if you're being given a chance to double your pay, and it's something you want/are willing to do for it?
Then I'd say go ahead and do it. Just make sure you take some measures to still spend time with the wife, that way the work hours don't overwhelm you two and have you both grow separated or anything.
I'd be all over it if it wasn't for the fact I'm somewhat nervous about handling a multi-million dollar forty year old project. Other than that...

As for her she's talking about quitting her current job for something a little less stressful.

I'd be all over it if it wasn't for the fact I'm somewhat nervous about handling a multi-million dollar forty year old project. Other than that...

As for her she's talking about quitting her current job for something a little less stressful.
I doubt you're the only person working on such a project if the pay is 18/hr. :P
It should be fine if you aren't being lazy/silly about it.

As for the wife quitting her job?
If that helps her and you both out then best of luck. :)

I doubt you're the only person working on such a project if the pay is 18/hr. :P
It should be fine if you aren't being lazy/silly about it.

As for the wife quitting her job?
If that helps her and you both out then best of luck. :)
It'd be just me in that booth. Managing the machines and water cannons.

Totally won't be pretending I'm a pilot of a mech and spewing burning hot death on something.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Congratulations dude!

I'm a hand for hire (jack of all trades if you will), so the closest thing I get is a very well paying gig.

• Thank You
Reactions: Windsong
It'd be just me in that booth. Managing the machines and water cannons.

Totally won't be pretending I'm a pilot of a mech and spewing burning hot death on something.
I mean others on the field/work place in general. :P
You're not alone out there.

Yes, I recently made a huge life-change and took a job that seemed both perfect and impossible to maintain.

Right now, it was probably the best decision I could have made. Congratulations!

Make sure you and your wife are on the same page with the hours and the work time. Make sure you support her 100%, and she's supportive of you that same amount.

Take it from me, when you never see your wife, and you're busting your ass to make ends meet (and she is too), and the most you ever see of each other is the time it takes for you to tag out of the shower...

Man, it sucks. It sucks a lot.

• Love
We'd had plenty of discussions about it all night. It would've fit in pretty well with our future plans.

Though to update: I can't get the job.

Despite the fact my father works there in a separate area and different job. Both of us would be neither above each other or below each other since it's two completely separate tasks.

How does not working for or under your Dad prevent you from getting the Job?

So I'm looking at what might be a very rare job opportunity coming up within the next 24 hours.

It'll be working in a quarry that mines aggregates. My position would have me in a booth overlooking a pit where four dump trucks constantly drop stuff in. It's air conditioned and all I would be doing is monitoring pressure gauges and operating two joysticks that handle two massive water cannons to keep it moving.

It's 18 an hour USD, with double pay overtime for two hours a day, five days a week. Full benefits and the like.

Compared to my 10 an hour custodial job I have now.

Anyone else come across an opportunity they're wary to dive into because it does sound almost too good?
That's all part of proper job hunting skills.

So when I looked for a staff physician appointment, I was looking at salaries ranging for $175,000 USD to as high as $300,000 annually, before incentivizations, sign-on bonus (usually in the range of $20,000) or sign-on stipends, benefits, and productivity bonuses (which would range upward to an extra $30-50,000).

However, those places that give the big bucks are typically rural, typically understaffed, typically do not have all the resources required for care of the complex patient. One place that was offering me $280,000 annually (and would have been happy to give me $300,000 plus a $20,000 sign-on bonus) was looking for a total of 6 people to sign onto their practice. At the time I interviewed, they only had 2 staff members.

In other words, I could have been making $320,000 a year, but working two to three times as hard because we were understaffed.

No thanks.

I'd take the pay cut for easier work.

conflict of interest

my wife can't be working under any of my teams at the hospital because of the same thing

I wouldn't be working for or under him at all. If anything we'd be side by side every few months for something that required more than one person.

Maybe I'm just not getting what @Razilin said about conflict of interest though?

I wouldn't be working for or under him at all. If anything we'd be side by side every few months for something that required more than one person.

Maybe I'm just not getting what @Razilin said about conflict of interest though?

A lot of companies don't allow family members to work for them because of a fear of nepotism or being accused of it. Even if you're working totally separate departments or divisions, there's always the possibility of somebody getting promoted or transferred to a position above a family member, and then it becomes a conflict of interest and bias because family members are less likely to hold each other to the same standards as other employees, be it picking them for promotion over other employees, not dishing out disciplinary actions if required, and so on.

A lot of companies don't allow family members to work for them because of a fear of nepotism or being accused of it. Even if you're working totally separate departments or divisions, there's always the possibility of somebody getting promoted or transferred to a position above a family member, and then it becomes a conflict of interest and bias because family members are less likely to hold each other to the same standards as other employees, be it picking them for promotion over other employees, not dishing out disciplinary actions if required, and so on.
Working already as a government/county employee I've heard of that plenty of times. Yet in plenty of other schools there are husbands and wives working together. Whether one's a teacher and the other a custodian or vice versa. Some are both custodians.

When they tried hiring my wife at my current school they had warned me that if I wanted a promotion that either I would need to take it elsewhere or she would need to transfer. But there wasn't anything about working together that was against the rules according to Human Resources.

Not related to it at all but my dad would give me a harder time than any other asshole on that job site just cause he's mad 'bout my facial hair not going gray yet at 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.