Nerd Next Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

[fieldbox=Mattaline Lena Nelson ❣ Junior, #5733f5, solid]
tumblr_n5d9vqJK7t1rmv4d0o2_250.gif

[spoili]
3125113c27d2aec106b9a610189fc68e.jpg
[/spoili]

It seemed as though Mattaline's hesitance doomed Jayson. Before she could reach him and Kyler, Jayson was pushed into the pool. Mattaline froze suddenly, taking a moment to assess her options. She hadn't been quick enough to save her neighbor from the water, so what could she do now? Her blue eyes shifted from Jayson, to Kyler, and then to the crowd- most of them laughing and a few cheering, throwing their red cups. The silence to her right cause Mattaline to turn, realizing that she had stopped right beside Sousuke.

Mattaline leaned towards him, looking to Jayson as he began to look for his glasses. Again, she could feel her anger rising- but now she had to be tactful. It was too late for her to just walk up and yell at Kyler. That wouldn't do Jayson any good, the damage was already done. Now she had to think of a way to lessen the humiliation, perhaps distract everyone from the nerd in the pool.

An eyebrow raised as an idea came to Mattaline. "Follow my lead, Sou-Sou," Mattaline said, her voice low as she glanced to Sousuke. Mattaline hardly noticed Kei standing on the other side of her brother, but did take note that her friend was no longer inside of the house. It was good to see Sousuke wasn't laughing, this was one of the reasons she liked him so much. Just like his sister, he didn't find bullying amusing, which was refreshing to her when hanging out with all her other friends. Plus, Sousuke was just as carefree as she was, so Mattaline could always count on him to back her up.

She kicked off her heels, sending them to the side and out of the way. Next, she removed her shirt, throwing it away too, leaving her in her pink Victoria's Secret bra. Shaking her hands Mattaline took a deep breath before running forward. At the edge of the pool Mattaline launched herself into the air. "Cannonball!" She shouted as she tucked her legs into her body, closing her eyes.

Cool water consumer her, and with a smile Mattaline pushed off of the bottom of the pool. In half a second she broke through the surface, and in one swift movement she moved her wet brown hair from her face and threw her hands up in the air. "Whoo!" She shouted, shaking her head as she did. Matty then wiped the water from her eyes, looking as everyone joined in. Already other girls were getting rid of their shoes and other boys were taking off their shirts to join Mattaline Nelson in the pool.

Life of the party, as usual, Mattaline thought to herself, feeling slightly proud. Suddenly something brushed against her foot, and Mattaline looked down to see a black object. She held her breath, dipping under the water and fumbling around until she grasped the item. When she came back above she realized what it was: Glasses.

Turning, Mattaline saw Jayson near the edge of the pool, Ashton knelt down beside him. She swam over, ignoring the few people jumping into the pool nearby. She reached the edge of the pool, propping one arm over the edge as she reached forward for Ashton's shirt. "Consider this your payment for knocking down my best friend," She said as she used it to wipe off Jayson's glasses.

Once the lenses were dry Mattaline turned and placed them on Jayson's face. Pulling her hands away, she smiled to him, head cocking to the side a bit. "Uh, sorry about Kyler," she said, guilt suddenly washing over her. This was the first time she had actually spoken to Jayson in nearly three years, except for when her mom sent her over to borrow eggs or something. The fact that she was only talking to him because he had just been bullied by one of her friends made her feel... bad.

"He's kind of an ass sometimes," She continued, glancing over her shoulder to the jock. "But, he does throw good parties, so I deal with him." Shrugging, Mattaline turned back to Jayson. "Are you all right?" She asked, sincere concern lacing her words. From what she remembered Jayson was not a very strong swimmer, and he had struggled quite a bit from what she saw.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Ashton Tyler Blake ♫ Senior, #a16000, solid]
giphy.gif

[spoili]
1417543_plaid823928322.jpg
[/spoili]

The fact that Kei was not harmed caused relief to wash over Ashton like a tidal wave. He would have felt terrible if he so much as caused her to bruise, and probably would have apologized it every time he saw her for the rest of his life. He felt his face reddening again- probably because of what she had said to assure him she was okay. It was the same phrase she would tell him when they were children, whenever she fell down. Some things never change...

For a moment Ashton was caught up in the smile she gave him. It was so long since Kei had looked at him like that, and again his heart gave a painful lurch. She had no idea what she was doing to him, no idea that she was causing him pain. But, for him, the painful thumps of his heart was worth it. He'd much rather endure it than miss out on this smile.

Kaiden: "Damn, I cant believe some loser thought he could come see this. I cant wait to see Kyler lay into him. Should be pretty good."

Ashton's attention was pulled away from the short girl in front of him, his eyes widening. "Oh no," he said, moving at the same time Kei did. He was right behind her, which made maneuvering through the crowd much easier for him. In a matter of seconds he and Kei were in the backyard. He was tall enough to see over the crowd, and arrived just in time to watch his friend fall backwards into the pool.

"Crap," He muttered, instantly going around the crowd. He hadn't even noticed Kei left, far too caught up in what had just happened to Jayson. He quickly got to the end of the crowd, and began to walk towards his friend in the pool. As he neared Jayson he realized that his glasses were no longer on his face, and he could soon hear his friend searching for them.

Ashton arrived at the edge of the pool, and got down low. "Let's find your glasses and get out of here," Ashton said, being sure to face away from Kyler. The last thing he needed was to be recognized him and receive the same treatment Jayson had. "This whole night way just a mistake." Ashton shifted to take off his shoes in order to get int he pool and look for the glasses, but-

"Cannonball!"

Ashton turned, just in time to watch a familiar figure launch herself into the pool. Both his eyebrows raised in surprise as Mattaline resurfaced, throwing her hands up and cheering. What is she doing? Ashton then noticed that people were cheering her on, some even tearing off articles of clothing to join her.

By the time he looked back down to Jayson, Mattaline had joined them. She reached over and grabbed his shirt, and before Ashton could object she reminded him that he had dragged Kei down to the ground. Oh, sure, bring that up again, he thought as he allowed her to use his shirt as a towel for Jayson's glasses. As if I didn't feel bad enough about that already.

The teenage boy watched as Mattaline turned and put Jayson's glasses on for him. He couldn't help but think this was weird, she acted so... causal with him, so to say. As if they were friends, but they weren't. Ashton was vaguely aware of the bond they used to have, but he also knew that their friendship had died long ago. It was unusual for her to act so friendly towards him now.

Or, maybe it's not? Ashton pivoted, seeking out Kei. Maybe I'm just an idiot and such friendships can be restored? He located her, watching her for just a moment. Ash then shook his head. No, there's no hope there. Resisting the urge to sigh, Ashton turned his attention back towards Jayson and Mattaline.

"Come on Jayson," Ashton said, reaching a hand down towards his friend. "I'll help you out." By now several people had joined them all in the pool, making it somewhat crowded. Ashton imagined Jayson would want to be out before the whole space was packed with other adolescents.

[/fieldbox]​

• Love
Reactions: Stargazer

tumblr_mb75eeX1H11rhe0u8o1_500.gif

Outfit:
[spoili]
0a716b3c4810ed7299c96e50f16aad41.jpg
[/spoili]

[fieldbox=Kei Annabeth Yamazaki ✯ Junior
, #008080, solid]

A body collided with the water and Kei looked on with wide eyes as Jayson fell straight into the water. Laughter filled the air, and Kyler continued to drunkenly shout what a loser he was. Anger immediately bubbled up inside of her and she moved to go talk to him, however her brother had stopped her and she glanced back at him; looking over at her best friend.

Mattaline:"Follow my lead, Sou-Sou."

Upon hearing her friend she glanced over at Mattaline as she started stripping and her twin brother chuckled. "It's sad that you have to even tell me." He commented as he immediately started to strip. "Hold these!" He said with excitement, revealing his little superhero boxers and piling all of his clothes onto her arms. "I'm not a coat rack!" Kei complained, but her voice was drowned out as Mattaline shouted cannonball and soon her brother was in the pool. Kei silently watched as guest after guest at this party stripped themselves of their clothes and followed after her best friend and her brother. "Great, now Sousuke is going to complain about water ruining his car." She muttered under her breath, knowing that he would of course get upset for his own dumb ideas.

Dark brown eyes watched as Jayson searched for his glasses, and Ashton move to the side. She stood back, holding a pile of clothes as Mattaline swam up, dried the older boy's glasses on her neighbor's shirt and then put them back on his face. She could see on Matty's facial features that there was a touch of concern, something she never showed others unless she truly cared for them, so obviously it was easy for her to see that her friend obviously cared about the boy that lived next door. Kei watched carefully, before she turned her gaze to Kyler who was now staring at the pool filled with girls clad in Victoria secret's underwear. Ugh...pig. The anger that Kei felt previously came back even more and she took a deep breath before she made her way over.

"What the hell is your problem?!" She shouted over the cheering and the loud music. Usually she was not a confrontational person, but after seeing Kyler treat others as if they were nothing day after day, she was so sick of it. "What? Whash sho wrong babe?" The male had questioned as she walked right up to him, glaring daggers. He was already drunk and Kei wondered briefly how many drinks he had actually had tonight, but knowing him...a lot. "I am not your babe. And how could you push him into the pool like that? He ne-" She was immediately cut as Kyler threw his arm around her shoulder. "Geez, whya getting so bent outa shhape?" He slurred. "Damn...you know you're pretty damn hot, when yous ain't running your mouth. If you just stop talking about your little nerd things...you'd make a might make great girlfriend material." He spoke up before she could say anything else.

"Get off me!" Kei tried her best to shove him back, but he had that football weight on her, not to mention the height that also added some weight since he was taller than her. He didn't budge. "I mean it Kyler, you are such a big tool, it's so annoying! Kei tried to keep her anger, but as his hands started to wander, she just got flustered, not because she had a crush on him but she didn't feel comfortable. "Hmm, damn do you have a nice ass." He muttered in her ear, giving a hard squeeze and she yelped, her hand connecting with his face and leaving a bright red mark. "How dare you! That's sexual harassment!' Kei screamed at him, her voice being drowned out by all the other shouting and the music that came from the house.

Kei watched as Kyler only laughed and moved closer, his strong muscular hands running down her body and she shoved them away, glaring at him. He moved his hand to ruffle her hair, chuckling and leaning forward to whisper her in ear. "You know, you look real good with your hair messed up....you know, we could always go up to my room and mess it up for real." Kei could smell the alcohol on his breath and she cringed, her skin was crawling and she wanted to throw up as she felt his hands move down her body even more, pulling her flush against his chest. "Bet ya got a voice on ya. I'd love to here you scream my name." He told her and at this point Kei was ready to cry. She pushed against his chest; a desperate attempt to pry herself away but it wouldn't work.

"The hell are you doing?!" A familiar yet very angry voice shouted and Kei turned to see her brother getting out of the pool and running over to them, before he shoved Kyler off. She looked up to see his face contorted in anger and hand balled into a fist.

"How dare you fuc**** touch her! He shouted, stepping forward She wiped at the corner of her eyes and bent her head down, avoiding from making eye contact.. Honestly her brother could hold his own against Kyler but she didnt want it to come to that. "Ha! I didnt hear any complaints." He said, swinging his cup around. "You know, sometimes I don't get it. It just doesn't make sense to me how a nerd like you can be part of our group and then I remember you're only here to look pretty!" He threw his head back and laughed. "Let's just get outta here." Kei whispered softly, wanting to leave now. She made a mistake for letting Mattaline and Sousuke drag her out. She should have just stayed home.[/fieldbox]

anigif_enhanced-23749-1414090309-25.gif

Outfit:
[spoili]
tumblr_npku0p0ZnP1tzpnt1o1_1280.jpg
[/spoili]

[fieldbox=Jayson Theodore Arnold ♛ Senior
, #DC143C, solid]

His heart was pounding in his chest as he continued to search for his glasses but kept coming up short. Running a hand through his wet hair, he let out a long sigh. "Yeay, I agree." He muttered as he closed his eyes and let out another long sigh. Jayson had no idea why he had this crazy idea that they could go to a party and actually expect to be welcomed here. He wanted for some absurd reason to feel accepted, his last year in high school and he constantly tells himself that it didnt matter, and yet here he was, hoping that things would change. What was wrong with him? Everything.

Upon hearing someone shout Cannonball, he blinked and looked over to see Mattaline jumping into the pool, shortly followed after Sousuke and then everyone else. His eyes widened ever so slightly and then he watched as she joined them at the side, reaching up and taking his friend's shirt and cleaning off his glasses, before placing them on his face. "Thanks." He muttered, as he gazed at the young female before him. She had changed so much, gained so much from the girl that he used to know. And while he didn't hate her for it, he was happy for her, but there was still a small part of him that wished she was still the same.

Maybe they could still chat more than they did, be the same, and maybe he wouldn't feel like there was this gaping hole in his heart. Jayson only half listened as Mattaline apologized for Kyler and he gazed down at the pool edge. His caramel brown eyes shifted to look back at the girl before her, hearing the concern in her voice.

It took him awhile to figure out what he wanted to say, what he wanted to tell her but he couldn't make the words come out. Upon hearing Ashton, he looked up to see his friend holding out his hand and then he looked back at Mattaline."Yeay...I'm fine. He muttered. "No need to apologize for Kyler anyway. It was my fault for coming." He offered her a strained smile and grabbed his friend's hand before hoisting himself out of the pool, turning to look back at the girl he knew basically his whole life. He wanted to say something else, instead of leaving with such an awkward parting but he knew nothing else to say.

He didnt mean to let those words slips, but once they were out there, he couldn't take them back. Besides, she probably hated him already, that was probably one of the reasons that she never talked to him. Why Mattaline asked if he was alright, who really knew. Maybe it was just out of compassion or for the nerdy little neighbor boy that would stay over at her house when her parents were never home. That was something he would never be able to fathom. "Uhm...see you around I guess."

Jayson awkwardly gave a small wave, turning around to head back to his car and drive away from this place with his best friend. There was nothing left for them here, they weren't welcomed nor were they wanted and staying here would only cause more problems. He turned to look at Ashton wanting to ask about what happened between him and Kei that was probably something to save for later. Pushing his glasses up, he let out a long sigh and made his move to head out, before a distribution stopped him. Pausing, he turned to look back, noticing Kyler getting handsy with someone who looked familiar to him, was that his friend's neighbor? Maybe, but from this distance and the weird porch lighting, but it looked like her. "Isn' that- Jayson shut his mouth upon hearing another angry voice shouting and hopping out of the pool before running over and shoving Kyler back. Now was the time to leave, as much as he was curious.

"We should probably get out of here, while we have the chance." Jayson nodded his head towards the exit and booked it for his car. He shoved his hand into his wet pocket and fished out his keys, silently cursing as he unlocked his car, before getting in. He started it up and blasted the heat, feeling rather chilly from the cool night air and the water. When Ashton got into the car, he looked over at his friend before he peeled out and started to drive back to Ashton's house. "So what was Mattaline talking about when she wiped my glasses on your shirt?" He asked as he drove off down the streets, his mind drifting back towards the small little scene that was happening before they had left. Hopefully everything would turn out right, though he would be lying if he said that he wasn't hoping that Kyler got punched in the face.[/fieldbox]

tumblr_o3p6zoFQIZ1tw78ozo2_250.gif

[spoili]
large.jpg
[/spoili]

A frown appeared on Mattaline's face as Jayson told her not to apologize for Kyler's actions. She did realize it was not directly her fault, especially since Jayson and Ashton hadn't exactly been invited to the party. But, she also couldn't deny that if she had taken action just a few seconds sooner she might have been able to save him from his watery fate. Plus it was just in Matty's nature to take responsibility for the bad things that happened to the people she cared about. Even if she wasn't consciously aware of it, Mattaline would always care for the nerd next door on some level.

Her blue eyes followed the tall male as he took his friend's hand and climbed out of the pool. Water droplets fell from his soaking wet, and possibly ruined, clothing and onto the previously dry pavement. Mattaline felt the urge to ask him to say, invite him to hang out with her and Kei, but she stopped herself. What would that accomplish? What was she trying to do? She didn't know.

Kei: "What the hell is your problem?!"

The familiar voice drew Matty's attention away from the two boys. She spotted a small figure approaching Kyler, holding the clothes of her brother. It was a humorous sight, honestly. Such a small girl getting ready to chew out the star football player. She watched for a moment, smile returning as she did. Kyler was far too wasted to comprehend that he was in trouble. Which, of course, only made the scene funnier to watch.

"Oh my god Matty, your bra is so cute!"

Turning, Mattaline came face-to-face to Brea, the head of the Poms team. Accompanying her was Jenna, the cheer captain, Clary, the class president, and Kaiden, another football player. Mattaline glanced down at her bra, having forgotten she stripped before entering the pool, and then back up to Brea. "Oh, thanks! I like yours too."

"Can I just say that getting into the pool was such a great idea, Matt?" Jenna cut in, using her hands as she spoke. It was a habit of hers than Mattaline had noticed years prior, and it was usually all she could focus on when she spoke to the other girl.

"Yeah, any idea that gets girls to take off their tops is a good one in my book," chimed Kaiden, looking around the pool with a grin.

"You're a pig," Mattaline told him, though the smile he gave her told her he thought she was joking with him. It seemed as though most people took the things Matty said as a joke, which was annoying because she often meant the things that came out of her mouth. The brunette parted her lips with the intent of saying something else, but before she had the chance there was a sudden angry shout.

Sousuke: "The hell are you doing?!"

Turning, Mattaline spotted Sousuke climbing out of the pool. She could tell that he was angry, but the fact that he was dressed in only superhero boxers made him slightly less intimidating. That is, until he pushed back Kyler, who had his arm snaked around Kei. One look at Kei's expression told Mattaline that the quarterback had crossed more than one line, and in an instantly Matty was also out of the pool. As she stomped closer to the group of three she heard Kyler's voice, as it seemed to boom over the music.

Kyler: "It just doesn't make sense to me how a nerd like you can be part of our group and then I remember you're only here to look pretty!"

"Excuse me?" Mattaline questioned as she approached them, taking only a moment to confirm she had heard him correctly. Her hands balled into fists at her sides. Without giving Kyler time to correct himself she walked up to him, pushing him back away from Sousuke. Kei might be able to talk her brother down, but Mattaline was angry, and there was no bringing her down from such a state until she felt justice had been dealt.

Kyler simply laughed, clearly amused by the whole thing. "Oh, don't pretend like we haven't all thought it, Matts," He said, pointing at her and yelling. He might have thought the situation as funny, but Mattaline could tell he was also growing angry- likely due to being shoved twice in the last minute. "Everyone knows we only keep Kei around because she's too pretty to sit at the nerd table!"

Pausing for a minute, Mattaline closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She licked her lips, allowing her anger to designate deep within her. Then, without any warning, she swung her hand and connected her small fist with Kyler's cheek, just below his left eye. He stepped back from the impact, hand instantly reaching up to his already growing black eye. "You little bit-"

Not bothering to allow him to finish, Mattaline simply reached forward and threw Kyler into the pool. Usually, she would not be strong enough to do such a thing, but Kyler was still recovering from having been punched by a girl, and he was rather intoxicated. When he resurfaced, spitting water out of his mouth, Mattaline pointed her finger at him. "Don't you ever say such a thing about Kei again."

Turning, Mattaline grabbed Kei's wrist with the hand she had used to point at Kyler and began to lead her away from the pool. As she passed the patio table she grabbed two towels that had been draped over the chairs. Continuing through the house, Mattaline pushed her way through the crowd. Some had the sense to get out of her way, for she was very clearly angry, but those who didn't she simply pushed past- often shoulder-checking them in the process.

She didn't stop until she was in the front yard, and only then did she pause to make sure Sousuke was following them. She tossed a towel to him, so that he could lay it on his seat in his car. Without a word, she continued towards his car.
[/fieldbox]

tumblr_n6ki5kgVx21rpx2cmo1_500.gif

[spoili]
1417543_plaid823928322.jpg
[/spoili]

Making sure to have a firm grasp on his slippery wet friend, Ashton helped pull Jayson out of the pool. Water splattered to the pavement, and Ash found himself taking a step back to avoid getting wet as well. He heard what sounded like arguing, turning his head slightly towards the noise. Golden brown eyes landed on Kei and Kyler, and it was clear to any observer that they were in a confrontation.

He watched from afar as Kyler grew increasingly more condescending, increasingly more physical. He balled his firsts up at the side of his body, wanted to go step in. But, he simply couldn't get his feet to move. I should do something, he knew. I shouldn't let him treat her like that. She doesn't deserve it. His jaw clenched, and still he could not will himself to take a step in their direction.

Why do I have to be such a chicken? He suddenly insulted himself, feeling very angry. This is why we aren't friends anymore. I'm not brave enough. Deep down, Ashton knew that wasn't the true reason. He knew that Kei didn't care if he could defend her honor or not. Of course she didn't, she could take care of herself. Still, it was easier to blame their loss of friendship on something such as his lack of bravery.

There was another shout, and then Sousuke was pushing Kyler away from his younger sister. Probably for the best, Ashton thought, though he didn't truly feel as though it were. He can handle Mr. Jock much better than I ever could.

With his eyes still on Kei, Ashton heard Jayson say something about leaving. He nodded, and as soon as he felt his friend began to move he followed. They maneuvered through the crowd, and Ashton was surprised to see that there were still an abundance of people within the house. Were they oblivious to the recent occurrence just outside? Or did they simply care about dancing more than following each other into the now crowded swimming pool? Ashton wished he understood his fellow teenagers.

It wasn't long after Jayson pulled away from the Stokes residence that Ashton felt annoyed by the heat. He didn't say anything, knowing that Jayson was probably just cold from his unwelcomed swim. In the review mirror, Ashton watched as Kyler's house grew smaller and smaller. Jayson took a turn, and it was gone. He felt more at ease.

Jayson: "So what was Mattaline talking about when she wiped my glasses on your shirt?"

Ashton jumped, slightly shocked by his friend suddenly starting up a conversation. His hand raised and scratched the side of his head, just behind his ear, while his nose scrunched and his head tilted downward. A nervous twitch. "Oh, nothing, really," Ashton said, attempting to sound nonchalant, but failing horribly. "While I was looking for you I tripped and knocked down Kei Yamazaki." Her name rolled off his tongue easily, but he felt as though he was choking on it.

There was a long pause of silence, the growing tension beginning to make Ashton feel uneasy. "Her friend, Mattaline, is really protective over her friends," Ashton commented, smiling slightly. "I really thought she was going to hit me or something." Ashton looked up, his head now tilted to his friend in the driver seat. He didn't understand why, of all the things that had happened to them tonight, Jayson had focused on one sentence Mattaline Nelson has said.

The ride to Ashton's house seemed extremely short. As Jayson pulled up in front of his house, in his normal parking space, Ashton noticed the curtains in the living room shift. A light smile formed on his pink lips: His mother had been watching for him. Of course she had.

His mother was sitting on the couch, pretending to causally read when Ashton walked inside. He left the door open for Jayson behind him. She looked up from her book, smiling at the two boys standing up. "How was the party?" She asked, eyeing Jayson.

"It was fine," Ashton lied instantly. He knew his mother wanted him to go out and have fun, and just couldn't bring himself to disappoint her by telling her how awful it really was. "Jayson took a swim, I bumped into Kei." Mentally, Ashton added, literally. Deciding to change the subject quickly, Ashton asked, "Do you still have that snack platter? I didn't trust the food."

"I'll go fetch it for you two!"

"Thanks mom."

As soon as she was in the other room, Ashton turned to Jayson. "Want to borrow some clothes so I can put yours in the dryer?" He asked. By now Jayson wasn't dripping, but his clothes were still noticeably wet.
[/fieldbox]​

• Love

tumblr_m1om0p7vYP1qb5yg1o1_500.gif

[bg=#FCFCFC]Outfit:[/bg]
[spoili]
[/spoili]
, #008080, solid]
Kei liked to think that she was an extremely strong and confident young woman, and she was to an extent, but there was only so much that she could take. She knew, she just knew that she didn't really fit into that group; not like Sousuke or Mattaline. And yet here she was stupidly believing that she belonged in that group with her brother and best friend, stupidly ignoring that she was in fact different compared to everyone else. Of course Kei also knew to ignore someone as stupid and petty as Kyler but he had finally confirmed what she had been fearing for the longest time. She. Didn't. Fit. In.

Now it wasn't as if she was hung up on the fact that she truly didn't fit in but the truth hurt. Boy did it hurt. Kei felt as if she had just been hit by a train, maybe a semi-truck? She wasn't really sure which on hurt more, hell maybe she was even hit by both. The world around her warped and suddenly it felt as if the teen had submerged herself underwater and everything else was just static. She wished she was underwater right now, she wished she could breath underwater that way she wouldn't have to deal with the few people that are staring at her and she definitely wouldn't have to deal with the words that had tumbled out of Kyler's mouth. Everything was in slow motion (not that she was paying attention that well) and Kei was slowly watching as a few people ran past to jump into the people, she watched as Kyler took a step back and his face contorted in anger. The next thing she felt was Mattaline grabbing her wrist and pulling away from the party.

This was a mistake.

The words played over and over in her mind until she heard her brother finally unlock the car and Kei climbed in. She turned on her side, her eyes gazing out the window before she closed them and felt the tears start to well. This was the worst feeling. It felt as if someone was gripping her heart and squeezing it until she couldn't breath. Opening her eyes she took a shallow breath as she tried to keep silent, but it was worse when she did that. It made her want to scream and cry, it made her want to punch and break something. "This was a mistake." She spoke up as a tear slid down her cheek and she took a shaky breath. Kei wanted to add that now they knew why she hated parties, that she hated them when they teamed up and forced her to attend. Those words threatened to bubble up out of her. Instead she asked, "Did you know?" and she was greeted with silence. That was a bad sign. "Did. You. Know?" She asked a bit stronger and turned a sharp eyed gaze to both of them.

Sousuke let out a long sigh and hung his head briefly before he returned his eyes to the road. "We've... He began a bit tentative and let out another long sigh. "Kyler has mentioned it a couple of times that he was drunk, but most people ignored him, you know cause they were also drunk." He admitted and Kei let out a pained sob. She threw her hand over her mouth and let her head fall back against the head rest which allowed the fresh tears to stream down her face. "So...yo-you knew." Kei answered with a shaky voice and let her head fall down so that her hair could hide the tears. "You knew and you didn't tell me." Her voice raised a small octave as she shot a gaze at Sousuke. "I was trying to protect you!" He replied back with just as much force and he pulled into the drive way putting the car in park.

"Protect me?!" She shouted as she unbuckled her seat belt and opened the door. "That is bull crap! If you wanted to protect me then you should've told me!" Kei shouted at Sousuke as the tears streamed down her face. Her fear...her biggest fear was true all along and no one had told her. So now here she was finding out the news in the middle of a party that she never wanted to go to. "You knew! You should have told me!" The anger that had been coursing through her veins slowly started to fizzle and before Kei could feel terrible about it she slammed the door and ran up to her room. Once she reached the top of her stairs Kei slammed her door shut and slid down it as the tears flowed freely. For the longest time she had wondered if she truly fit into the group she was in, she had feared that it was a mistake that she was where she was. And now she knew that it truly was a mistake and in all honesty; it hit her a lot harder than she had expected. A small sob left her body and Kei let her head fall into her hands and her body shook with the sobs that escaped and the mix of tears.[/fieldbox]

anigif_enhanced-23749-1414090309-25.gif

[spoili]
tumblr_npku0p0ZnP1tzpnt1o1_1280.jpg
[/spoili]
, #DC143C, solid]
Turning down the heat just a bit to make sure that Ashton wasn't dying of heat, he listened as his friend explained what had happened and the faintest of smiles crossed his features. "I'll be honest with ya, I'm surprised you made it out alive." He joked a bit but at the same time he wasn't. He knew Mattie. She was dangerous when she was upset and if anyone were to screw with those that she held dear to her, she would make sure they wouldn't live to see another day. That was one of the things he always loved about her though, the way she stood up for those that she cared so deeply about. Heaving a big sigh Jayson pulled into his friend's house and turned off the car as he headed inside. He was thankful to have a place to stay while his parents were hashing it away at each other. He watched as Ashton gave a quick lowdown of what had happened at the party and he was thankful for the food as well. "Yeah, that sounds great, thanks man."

Jayson waited until his best friend returned and he thanked him as he took the dry clothes and went to the bathroom to quickly change. For once he was thankful that the two were close in height that way their clothes fit a bit better than it would if one was shorter or taller than the other. Jayson had been here long enough and had stayed over multiple times to know how to use their washing machine. "Hey man, I just put my clothes in the washing machine, you have anything that needs to be washed?" He questioned. Might as well do some wash instead of waste a cycle of water on a couple articles of clothes. With all the fighting at him it was easy to say that Jayson had learned to be a bit domestic in order to take care of his younger sister. Jayson thanked Ashton's mother when she brought in some snacks and he plucked a piece of cheese of the plate. Ah how he loved food. "So is there anything you want to do? We could watch a movie. I still haven't seen the avengers." He suggested.

The teen was about to offer another suggestion when shouting suddenly came from next door and he frowned. the conversations were muffled but it was obvious that the one who was yelling was upset. Turning his gaze out the window he saw that it was Kei. Upon hearing the door slam shut Jayson couldn't help but flinch; that was a sound he heard way too much at his own house and it made him feel uneasy. There was a ringing in his ears and Jayson shifted from foot to foot as he tried to figure out what to say. He knew that his friend still had feelings for his neighbor, whether it be platonic or romantic that he wasn't sure about. There was a small part that wanted to offer to his friend that he could go talk to her since his room was right across from Kei's but he wasn't sure if that would make anything better. Plus it wasn't his place to really say anything and Jayson knew when to step back and bite his tongue. This was one of the moments. [/fieldbox]

Reactions: Brea

tumblr_inline_nn80mumgno1sccn28_500.gif

[spoili]
[/spoili]

"This was a mistake."

Obviously, Matty agreed with Kei on that. The whole night had been one disaster after another, especially for her. First Kei was knocked over, then Jayson was publicly humiliated, and then Kei was told she didn't fit in with her friends. Parties didn't usually go like that... they were usually much more fun. Matty was still angry about what had happened, but as they got further away from Kyler's house she calmed down more.

Confusion rang through her as Kei asked if they knew. If they knew what? That Kyler was an asshole? That he didn't think Kei fit in with them? Mattaline had never heard Kyler even hint that he didn't like Kei, and she truly thought he was just saying that because he was drunk. She didn't think there was any truth behind the statement, Kyler was just in a major asshole mood.

But, then Sousuke surprised her by informing them this wasn't the first time Kyler said something like this about Kei. She felt angry again for a moment, but then Kei started to cry. Matty's eyebrows furrowed together in confusion, she couldn't understand why Kei was so upset about what Kyler said to her. Who cared what he had to say? He was probably the only one in the group who thought that way anyways.

Sure, there was no denying that Kei wasn't exactly like the rest of their group of friends, but she had a lot to bring to the table. Mattaline didn't completely fit in with all of them either, if she was being totally honest. She didn't do something special like play a sport or cheer lead or organize school activities. Still, she had a feeling that Kei felt she fit in less.

By the time they got to Kei's house she was very angry, and even slammed the door as she got out of the car. For a moment Mattaline and Sousuke sat in the car in silence. Then, Matty leaned towards him and said, "I'll go talk to Kei, calm her down a bit... Don't worry too much. She still loves you, she's just sad."

With that she climbed out of the car, and calmly walked into the house. Kei's adoptive father was standing outside his bedroom, clearly having been woken up by Kei. "Sorry Mr. Yamazaki, Kei's had a bad night," Mattaline informed him as she climbed the stairs. "We'll try to be quieter... I'll come get you if she needs you."

Heaving a sigh and nodding, he retreated back into his bedroom. He wasn't much for dealing with teenage girls, and Matty suspected they made him feel uncomfortable. Gently, Mattaline tapped her knuckles on the the door to Kei's bedroom. "Hey Kei, can I come in?" She asked through the door, speaking softly. "I'm really sorry about tonight, I didn't know it would turn out so badly... Kyler is just a fuckface."

[/fieldbox]

tumblr_n8tfdbAUhv1sskn9qo4_250.gif

[spoili]
6baeaa8cadf71e4fe7f150c727d6f16d.jpg
[/spoili]

With a nod, Ashton went to go get Jayson some dry clothes. He fished around in his closet for some sweatpants and a t-shirt, also finding the same for himself. He quickly changed and threw his clothes in his hamper before returning to Jayson. Jayson also changed quickly, coming back to inform him that he had started some laundry.

"Yeah, I guess I'll throw my clothes in," Ashton said with a nod. Again, he went to his room and grabbed his hamper. Ashton simply tipped his hamper over the washing machine, shaking it lightly as everything fell out. He then started the washing machine, and returned to Jayson in the living room. He walked in just as his mom did, with the same snack platter she had prepared for them earlier. "Thanks mom," he said, picking up a cracker and a slice of ham.

Ashton's mom announced that she was going to bed, and she hugged both Ashton and Jayson before ascending the stairs towards her bedroom. The two were quiet for a moment, and then Jayson spoke up:

"So is there anything you want to do? We could watch a movie. I still haven't seen The Avengers."

Ashton was about to respond, but was suddenly distracted by yelling coming from outside. Both him and Jayson turned their attention to the window, and Ashton watched as Kei ran into her house. He felt suddenly very sad. Was that about what was happening between her and Kyler when he left? Likely. Nothing you could have done, Ash silently told himself as he watched Mattaline get out of the car and follow after Kei.

As mean as it sounded, he hoped the shouting didn't go on into the night. He liked to go about his time pretending Kei didn't exist, and that would prove to be very hard if he continued to hear her yelling next door. Clearing his throat, Ashton turned to Jayson and tried to push the sad girl out of his mind.

"You know, you really should be ashamed that you've never seen Avengers," Ashton responded, forcing a smile onto his lips. "You go get some blankets and pillows from the closet in the spare bedroom, I'll set up the movie." As Jayson went off to complete his task, Ashton flipped through the movie stand beside the TV. Of course he owned The Avengers on DVD... who didn't?

He put it into the DVD player, quickly flipping to the main menu. Then, Ashton found a reasonable volume, which was loud enough to be enjoyable, but quiet enough to allow his mother to sleep. Finally, Ashton moved the snack platter to the coffee table, before going to the kitchen to get him and Jayson something to drink.

[/fieldbox]​

• Love

tumblr_m1om0p7vYP1qb5yg1o1_500.gif

[spoili]
[/spoili]
, #008080, solid]
She was probably just being an extremely sensitive big baby but Kei couldn't help it. What Kyler had said really and truly hurt her feelings. It felt as if he had taken a knife and plunged it deep in her chest while making sure to twist it for extra effect. Sliding down the door she let out a deep breath and closed her eyes, letting her head fall back against the door. To some it may not seem like a huge deal that some jerk was spouting nonsense about them and usually Kei brushed it off and didn't let it bug her.

Though not fitting in was always kind of a touchy subject for her. She never saw a point in changing herself but it was kind of weird...she didn't want to change herself but she wanted to fit in. She wanted to feel that people wanted to be around her. Kei liked to believe that her want for people to like her and be around her stemmed from the abandonment of her mother. There was no warning the day that their mother left, Kei just remembered coming home from school one day to a note that read 'I couldn't do it anymore. Sorry. To this day Kei still couldn't figure why she had left them and there was a huge part of her that blamed herself.

Not many people knew either (except for her family and maybe Mattaline) but Kei would a lot more sensitive than others realized. She didn't like sharing her feelings out in the open and so she tended to shove them deep down. Conceal don't feel right?

"I'm really sorry about tonight, I didn't know it would turn out so badly...Kyler is just a f***face."

Her friend's voice cut through her haze. Did she want to let her in? It seemed as if Mattaline was just as surprised to find out about the fact that this wasn't the first time Kyler had voiced his opinions, so it wouldn't be fair to take her anger out on her. Then again Kei was angry that they had dragged her to the party in the first place and had they not done that then she could have been blissfully ignorant to what others truly thought of her. There was a large part that wanted to snap at her best friend but right now Kei didn't want to get into another fight. Letting out a long sigh she stood up and opened her door just a crack, a signal to come in when she didn't want to really talk, and made her way over towards her bed before flopping down face first.

"I'm never going to a party again." Her voice came out muffled as she buried her face even deeper into the pillow and let out another long sigh. "No more of that stupid tag teaming crap you two do. I hate it." Kei spilled as she lifted a bit of her face out of the pillow and glanced towards Mattaline. "I'm serious. No. More. Parties."
[/fieldbox]

tumblr_inline_mm5ew3HS4d1qz4rgp.gif

[spoili]
1e7dceb369c7d55f6efed12d88058b67.jpg
[/spoili]
, #DC143C, solid]
Why oh why did memories have to hurt so badly? It seemed as if Jayson and his best friend both suffered from longing after their previous best friends. Just sitting back and watching them, yearning to talk to them once again but knowing that would never happen. Jayson turned his gaze towards the window and watched as Mattaline got out of the car and hurried into the house right after her friend.

He probably sounded so rude when he told her not to apologize and a pang of guilt stabbed him in the heart. He didn't mean to sound so cold but he was speaking the truth; why apologize for something that you had nothing to do with?

Jayson's eyes trailed after Sousuke as the male made his way into the house with his head hanging dejectedly. He couldn't help but notice that Kei's room was right across from Ashton's, and he also noticed that his friend had put curtains up. Probably a good thing. Heaving a sigh he drew them close and leaned back. Now that he thought about it Jayson didn't know too much about Ashton's relationship with the Kei before they had become friends.

All he knew was that those two used to be close but that was it. How did they become friends, how did they fall out? Then again those weren't really questions that he was going to be asking any time soon and Jayson was sure his friend wouldn't answer them to begin with him.

"I'm so sorry I'm a disappointment." Jayson quickly quipped with a faint smile tracing his features as he moved to grab the blankets and pillows from the closet in the spare room. He knew this house like the back of his hand...which was kind of sad since he knew this house way better than he knew his own house but that just showed how often he was over. Jayson would forever be grateful to Ashton for constantly letting him crash here, especially when nights at his house were a little more unnerving that some.

"Alright let's get this movie night show on the road!" He cheered as he put a little too much fake enthusiasm behind his voice. He had to admit tonight was a bit of a bummer starting with his parents and straight to the travesty of a party, but as long as he was hanging out with his best bud he was pretty sure things were going to be fine. Oh not to mention that they had school starting.

Goodbye summer reading and hello torturous senior year. At least it was his senior year, which meant he could say goodbye to this hell hole once and for all once he graduated. Jayson planned to get as far away from this place as possible and there was no way he was going to look back.
[/fieldbox]

Reactions: Brea

tumblr_inline_nq068fdF5S1rfmocr_500.gif

[spoili]
[/spoili]

Truthfully, Mattaline didn't think Kei would let her in. So she was immensely surprised when the door creaked open just a tad. The corners of her mouth raised only slightly, a sign of the relief Matty felt. She pushed the door open slowly, stepping in silently. Her gaze drifted over to her friend, who was laying face down on her bed.

Kei didn't waste any time laying it all out for Mattaline. No more parties, that made sense. Still... Mattaline loved to party. It was sort of what she was known for. Could she really agree to never going to another party without her best friend ever again? Mattaline studied Kei's face, took in the tear streaks on her cheeks.

Yes. She really could commit to such a thing, if it meant she wouldn't have to see Kei like this again. It really broke her heart, and it made her very angry. But now was not the time to lash out... Matty felt that would only make the situation worse. Besides, she'd have plenty of time to put Kyler in his place on Monday at school.

She crossed the room to sit beside Kei on her bed, moving her long brown hair out of her face. It was still damp, and it clung to her skin uncomfortably. "No more parties," Mattaline agreed, nodding her head. She stared down at the floor for a moment, feeling very sad about this whole situation. "Except," Mattaline moved her head to look over at Kei, a playful smile barely tugging at her lips. "If you refuse to go to my birthday party I'll be very sad... You'll have to think of another way to celebrate with me."

Heaving a sigh and looking around, Mattaline swallowed hard. "It's really late, and we've had a really eventful night," she said, licking her lips. "Maybe we should go to bed? I'm sure you'll feel better in the morning."

[/fieldbox]

tumblr_nakiiheJ1e1r042sao1_250.gif

[spoili]
[/spoili]

(Slightly confused, because I thought they were in the living room but you made it sound like they were in Ashton's bedroom? IDK, I'm just going to continue on in the living room, if that's okay? Also going to pretend Jayson got the blanekts and pillows, because otherwise I don't have much to post about...)

Getting two glasses of glass water didn't take very long, and Ashton was back in the living room within three minutes. He looked to Jayson, who was returning with two blankets and two pillows. He took one of each from Jayson, and turned to the couch. He always laid on the longer part, because he liked to sleep on his side.

Ashton turned off the lights and found the remote. He placed it beside their snack platter, and also pulled the coffee table closer to the couch so they wouldn't have to reach so far once they were comfy. He then propped his pillow up against the armrest, and pulled his blanket up over him.

"Ready?" Ashton questioned Jayson, a smile pulling onto his lips. While he waited for Jayson to confirm he was ready, Ashton noticed how quiet it was now. Good, he thought, eyes flickering to the window for a split second. He didn't have to worry about hearing Kei yell and sob all throughout the night.

Once they were both ready, Ashton pressed play on the remote. "Prepare to have your mind blown, my uncultured friend," Ashton said. As the movie began Ashton worked on making piles of crackers with meat and cheese. Once he made about ten he began to eat them, crunching happily. Every so often Ashton would glance at Jayson, to see how he was liking the movie so far.
[/fieldbox]​

tumblr_o6iuxnh5kA1vrgfoqo2_r2_250.gif

[spoili]
[/spoili]
, #008080, solid]

The fact that her best friend could give up parties just for her was more than she could have ever asked for. But could she really keep Mattaline from partying and enjoying what she loved? No...but right now she didn't want to deal with any of that. "You can still go to parties if you want...I just won't be tagging along." She gave a small shrug of her shoulders.

Mattaline's next comment couldn't help but get Kei to roll of her eyes and let out a tiny laugh. "I might be able to make an exception to that...though I might just sit in your kitchen and eat ice cream." Kei's love for ice cream was infinite and had she felt closer to Kyler then she probably would have stayed in his kitchen eating all of his ice cream. "I think you should also go take a shower, you reek." The young female plugged her nose and scrunched her face up as if she was smelling something putrid.

"You already have clothes here since you practically live here. You know where the shower is and well...I don't have to do the whole speech." Kei gave a wave of her hand and moved off her bed to stretch out her muscles. There was still a part of her that was hurting but talking to her best friend always made her feel better. She would talk to her brother tomorrow. Right now he was just someone he didn't want to deal with, but she would have to talk to him soon enough.

Moving to her door she paused and turned to look back at Mattaline with a horrified look. "We have school starting soon!" She exclaimed and sank to the floor in mock despair. "Oh the horror!" The fact that Kei's mood could change at the flip of a switch could leave a lot wondering if she was really wounded to begin with, but this was who she was. Sometimes she lashed out and revealed her true feelings while other times (which was most of the time) she hid how truly hurt she was with her silliness. She was described a whirlwind of emotions and information and it was hard for most to pin down who she really was.

She was an athlete, but she was also a "geek". She loved the rain but hated the thunder and lightning. She was introverted around a mass of people but extroverted around a select few. It was almost as if a mad scientist threw a bunch of things into a pot and mixed all up which created Kei. However her elusiveness is what makes her who she was. Those who weren't close to her, she was a mystery and unless she decided to let them in; she was always going to stay that way.

[/fieldbox]

tumblr_inline_mm5ew3HS4d1qz4rgp.gif

[spoili]
1e7dceb369c7d55f6efed12d88058b67.jpg
[/spoili]
, #DC143C, solid]
It wasn't his fault he hadn't seen the movie yet. With everything that was going on in his life he just didn't have the time. It was still nice to joke around though and Ashton's comment made him roll his eyes. "I apologize greatly oh great one. Would you please forgive me? He questioned with a mock accent and a raise of his eyebrow. It was times like these were he was able to forget about the fact that his life was a total mess. Well more like his parent's life was a total mess but they dragged their children into it. This was one of the few things that he could control, spending time with his friend, applying to his dream college and getting the hell out of here when he got the chance.

Throughout the movie Jayson enjoyed a lot of the scenes and it brought a sense of relief to do something normal. Leaning forward at one point in time Jayson stole one of Ashton's cracker, meat and cheese combo.

By the end of the movie Jayson was glad that they decided to watch the movie, it was good to say the least but he wanted to be a pain like usual. "It was alright, not as good as you made it out to be." He stated with a shrug and leaned back on both of his hands. A yawn made it past his lips. "Almost made me fall asleep." Jayson casted his gaze over to his friend to see his reaction and let out a laugh. He never would get tired of screwing with Ashton.

"C'mon, let's get to bed. We've had a looong night." He flopped onto his back and closed his eyes as he felt the exhaustion finally hit his body.

[/fieldbox]

tumblr_inline_n6d47mY0DX1sbfm90.gif

[spoili]
l.jpg
[/spoili]

A light laugh escaped Mattaline as Kei commented on her stench; It was a good sign that she was already cracking jokes. "I agree," She said with a nod, sweeping her damp hair over her shoulders. "Stupid... chlorine." She really wanted say stupid Kyler, because he was technically the reason she jumped in the pool at all, but she decided it wasn't exactly appropriate. Kei wasn't crying anymore, Matty didn't want to ruin that.

Brown eyes followed Kei as she stood and headed for her bedroom door before suddenly reminding Matty of their horrible fate. "Oh, don't remind me!" Matty said, leaning back and pressing the back of her hand to her forehead for dramatic effect. "Woe is me!" With a smile in Kei's direction, Matty stood and got some pajamas from the drawer she kept all her "Kei's House Clothing" in.

Then, Mattaline quickly made her way to the shower. She used Kei's shampoo, conditioner, and body wash to cleanse herself, humming as she did. Normally, Matty was a shower singer, but she was trying to be mindful of the sleeping people within the house. She kept her shower short, and once she was finished she quickly dried herself and dressed.

It only took Matty twelve minutes to return to Kei's room, smelling much nicer than before. She flashed a smile in her best friend's direction before climbing into bed. They turned out the lights, and Mattaline played on her phone- occasionally talking to Kei- until she drifted off to sleep.

The following morning Mattaline did not sleep in like she normally did. The sound of footsteps outside Kei's door woke her, and after glancing over she shoulder to see Kei was still sound asleep Mattaline very carefully pulled herself out from underneath the covers. Silently, she crept out of Kei's bedroom and to the kitchen.

There, she was greeted with both Kei's father and her brother. "Morning," She greeted them with a smile, throwing her hair up in a hair tie as she took a seat beside Sousuke. Her gaze flickered to the stove top, where Mr. Yamazaki was working on something that smelled delicious.

"Mmm," she mused, her smile widening. "What's for breakfast?"
[/fieldbox]

tumblr_n1ulxgM37m1sskn9qo2_250.gif

[spoili]
[/spoili]

Throughout the movie Ashton kept stealing glances in Jayson's direction to see how he was liking it, and also to make sure his friend hadn't fell asleep. Ashton would be seriously offended if he had. When the movie faded out Ashton propped himself up and turned to face Jayson, waiting to hear the verdict.

"It was alright, not as good as you made it out to be. Almost made me fall asleep."

A look of horror took over Ashton's features, he couldn't believe his ears. He noticed the smile on Jayson's lips and rolled his eyes, sure that his friend couldn't possibly be seriously. Honestly... who didn't love this movie? "Oh shut up," Ashton said, reaching over and playfully pushing Jayson on the shoulder. "You're such a jerk."

The two laughed together for a moment, and then Jayson suggested they get some sleep. Ashton agreed with a nod, wanting the night to be over already. The only good thing that had came out of it was that his friend had finally watched one of his favorite movies. Ashton switched off the movie, flipped to Netflix, and turned on 'How I met Your Mother.' He then turned the volume down, and snuggled under his blanket.

Ashton wasn't sure how many episodes he watched before he finally drifted off to sleep, but before he knew it his phone alarm was ringing. Groaning, Ashton fumbled to silence it all the while wishing he had remembered to turn it off the night before. The light of his phone hurt his eyes, but he managed to catch sight of the time: 9:45 AM.

With a grunt Ashton rolled over to his other side, now facing the back of the couch, and tried to go back to sleep. He knew deep down that it was no use, he was already awake. But, he didn't want to get up and do things. He only had this one last day before school started again, and Ashton desperately wanted to drag the day out as long as possible.
[/fieldbox]​

Status
Not open for further replies.