3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Magical girl, action, science fiction

It'd been one week since Megumi had told Sakura where Gold Shadow's signal scrambling earrings lay. One week since Yuzu had helped Anna find the corresponding ear cuffs. One week since Mikan had uncovered the code that made them all function together.

During that time, nobody had heard from Ayami. Eri had later called Blue, White, and Yellow to Umbra. The three had gathered in the purple room with the cat. "We lost her tiara's signal, and our intel... she's not dead, but there's no way Shadows could get to her." Eri's voice was low. "My guess is the Academy or another prison. But that's not why I called you here today. Let my friends and I find her; we'll be releasing her to a peaceful life as a normal girl."

"Anyway, there are two topics of discussion today. Mikan, your upcoming marriage with Joseph Decarion has come to my attention. I don't intend to tell you what to do about it - it's up to you whether you want to go through with it for the sake of having a high-status connection, or find a way out of it for the scrutiny it could bring. I will support you in any decision about it.

"Finally, in order to exercise more powerful datamancy and mount a better defense against Henzai, I want the three of you to transition your battles against Henzai beasts to augmented reality. You'll find new transformation wands in drop sites in your respective Gears; I'll explain where shortly - they'll let you transform without entering VR, interfacing with your brains in a similar manner to HARP or VARP. Henzai is also rumored to have been striking directly at its enemies with AR, so it's important to remain vigilant."

Last edited:
The past week had gone by with a speed Mikan was not accustomed to. It all seemed to be a flash of images in Mikan's mind; the only thing that really seemed to stand apart was the arrival of the invitation to her own wedding, and to the date where she would meet her future husband.

That competed with her attention and memory with the discovery she made in the archives. To think that Gold Shadow of all people would turn out to be... what had her brother said? "That ignoble peasant girl, growing weeds to help the crippled."

It had taken every ounce of self-control Mikan had not to lash out at that time; to do so would have raised questions that she had no way of answering. She was surprised that the impulse had been there at all. She may have cared to some extent for the people who visited the shrine, but not like that. It must have been an effect of being part of this... sisterhood of Shadows, she had decided.

From there, she had let Eri know, and... now she was here, called again with the rest of the girls. During the course of the week, her information had allowed them to locate Gold, but Sangria -Ayami- had outright disappeared. What they'd pieced together had led the group to believe that Gold had taken some drastic measure to ensure their group of Shadows was kept out of harm's way, and Sangria had been unfortunate enough that the preventive measures didn't fully work out.

Eri's comments certainly seemed to follow along those lines. Mikan was quiet as she spoke. They had enough on their hands already, but now came these comments about augmented reality. To bring forth to the... 'Meat World', what she could already do here in Umbra. It scared Mikan. She remembered the Henzaipede too well, and now, things like it would have to be fought beyond the virtual reality she had barely gotten accustomed to?

And now her marriage could turn into an issue, too. Holding her hands together, she just said with a demure expression, "If Decarion-sama has been chosen by the Urukawa elders, it is because our compatibility is the highest possible amongst the candidates... I am to meet him soon. I don't understand, is it something bad? Already I come here in secret, I will manage just the same after we are wedded..."

• Love
Reactions: Mollisol
It had been a long, grueling week for Sakura. Chasing down leads in meatspace, running around the virtual world, and trying to keep up with her normal life. She'd been up nearly a day straight, and it was starting to show. "Okay, Emi. With Sangia down, we're a member short. There's only so much we can do, we need to replace her, and fast. Do you have anyone to do the job?"

• Love
Eri regarded the three girls who had come to her, as well as Mikan and Sakura's responses. "I don't intend to interfere with your personal affairs, but I believe it's best for you to know the consequences of your decisions. Decarion-sama is a meaningful choice by your clan's elders - he is a masterful programmer of HARP. Although I don't know if he extends his talents to datamancy or merely controls from the outside, his talents are not unnoticed by Henzai, and he is indeed closely tied to the machine. Anna knows even more, being his daughter.

"As for your call to action, Blue, a new Shadow is fated to join us today - I've been notified by one of my confidants in Umbra. She should be here soon; I believe she's getting her bearings right now. She is Carmine Shadow, and I believe her physics- and electricity-based powers will prove quite useful. That said, we could use one additional person."
She took a moment to gaze into her crystal ball - where was Senki?

The sky was suppose to be a clear bright blue today according to the weather updates that flashed by on holoscreens in the Inner Gear, but as Senki looked up she can only see a light grey blanket over the rows and rows of polygonal buildings that stretched across the the landscape. With a bright white patch of cloud drifting by now and again. The girl took a small sigh, not from the lack of colors but the lack of work as she flipped through her phone schedule. One of her main patrons decided to marry off their youngest daughter, which was some bad bad news for a home tutor like her. It wasn't the first time this happened, but new customers would be hard to find. After all, the Hoiken family has been removed from the Inner Gear for almost two decades now, most other elite families who still trusted them don't have children that age anymore. Gazing up at the sky again Senki Hoiken pondered about the future, about her research, about Nanaimi, and hoped that the deal she made a week ago did manage to go through. The small vibration from her navigator pulled her attention back, a small text message displayed.

It's kind of late now you know, come on.
Back here we're starting to make dinner already.
You should come back soon.
I am going back to school soon.
The terminal crashed just now, need to fix it up.
-Tobu

Senki looked at the line breaks, the first word of the first line, second word of second line and so on, diagonally the words made up "its here come back now." She let out another sigh and started to move towards the Outer Gear gates. The gates between the gears was simple enough to pass if you worked between them, and the household Senki resides in isn't too far from the Inner Gear walls, for connivence sake. Opening the door and stepping through a couple binders full of scraped paper she saw her brother Tobubyo, half slanted across a sofa, half on the ground, with multiple holoscreens opened all over the tiny amount of space between the floor and cushions.
"Really? That's what you came up with?" She started at her brother half disappointingly half condescendingly.
"Better than 'hey I got the come over' at least, if the big guys sees that we're all getting throw out, if we're lucky. You want the thing or not?" He threw an envelope at Senki, "all copied down."
"Thanks." The girl replied half heartedly as she left the living room, dashed up stairs and shut the door to her own bedroom. Leaving her brother as he was. As the door clicked shut Tobubyo stared at his sister's room door for a split second.
"There goes the last law abiding citizen in this house..." He muttered almost inaudibly.

Upstairs Senki shuffled her way through papers, rulers and smudged whiteboards that littered her room floor, cleared off a dark grey table that's been reduced to the functions of a shelf and slowly pulled out a microchip from the envelope. "Not bad." She quietly said as she pulled an old fashioned card adapter out of a drawer and swiftly connecting all the components before slipping into the VR world that is the only thing of color in her life.

Umbra

Senki dropped down into the neon colored skylines of the secret virtual world, her usually black hair with white streaks changed into pure white hair but with bright carmine colored stripes where her meat world body lack pigmentation. The last time she was here was a week ago, there was an attack by Henzai, right near the fortune telling shop. She had watched from a far, so far that not even a photon of those brightly dressed girls' attacks splashed near her digitally complied body. Although that isn't going to be happening anymore.

A few light red, glowing holoscreens popped up around her as she started to extract the contents of the chip. "Hmm, as expected." It was directories towards a destination, the fortune telling shop where the action happened a week ago, and some sort of programmed that seemed like an action verification. Senki guessed that the inner rooms isn't a place that anyone could just access freely, some higher privileges were needed. It wasn't long before Senki found her way into a room, decked out in purple and other neon colors that would likely burn out her retinas if this was the meat world. Standing at the doorway she observed the few individuals, three girls, in blue, yellow and white clothing, all were at the ruckus last week. Being crowded by the three humans was a cat, the animal avatar perked Senki's interest, it looks like she's got her target.

"Eri-san." She leaned against the doorframe of the room and spoke up. "I see that you've accepted my deal." Raising an eyebrow as well as cracking into a small subtle smile, Senki glanced at the cat avatar before stepped up and taking a slightly exaggerated bow.

"Carmine Shadow, at your service."

• Love
Anna, this time, was the first to greet the new Shadow. "I'm White Shadow," she said by way of introduction. "So how long have you been a shadow, Carmine?" She wanted to get her mind off of Sangria's disappearance during the week prior. Losing a Shadow was always a tough time. It had happened before with the first Blue Shadow, again with Gold Shadow, and now with Sangria. At least with some, they knew they hadn't been captured or re-indoctrinated and had actually died, but that didn't alleviate the pain that came with finding out one of their own was, for all intents and purposes, no more.

Setting that aside, Anna made a mental note to ask Eri about Yuzu and if the two Datamancers could potentially pool their powers to make the transition to Augmented Reality an easier task. Anna didn't know what, but whatever it was that had Yuzu banned, it was in the past now. She just hoped, mainly, that the two could get along long enough to work together.

--- Chouko Hitomu
--- Border of Outer Gear & Inner Gear

"Do you have what we agreed upon?"

Chouko unwrapped the sculpture, gently handling the ceramic curves of the woman for cracks. Satisfied, the young woman covered it back up, tapping the side of her glasses' frame. A grey box with black text notified her that the video function was turned on, streaming live to a single client who requested a sculpture of his late wife.

"As requested. The money?"

"Of course, of course...see that rock-- no, to your left! I put the money under there."

Briskly, she walked over, confirming her client's statement as she counted the cash in her hands.

"...Sir, I think this is more than we--"

"Oh shut up and take my money, already!"
"--Your package can be picked up in the dead shrub behind this large rock, inside your complementary soup pan! Please feel free to spread the word to any non-Henzai entity, have a nice day."

With another tap of the frame, Chouko was pocketing the cash-- a sigh of relief escaping her lips. It was never pleasant, doing a drop-off like this when she knew at any moment a Henzai drone could be returning from patrol. On the other hand, it paid decently-- and gave the opportunity for some much-needed advertisement...it could be worse though, so she really shouldn't think too much about it.

Following the lonely path, Chouko began her trek back home-- eyes down so as not to attract too much attention, despite being in the more barren part of the ring.

Senki glanced around the room a bit more as one of the girls came up and greeted her. White Shadow, huh? She thought to herself, recalling the small fight she witnessed from a week ago. Digital ice, compiles in source codes to halt movement. Senki mentally noted to herself, since teamwork is going to be important, better understand the abilites of others.

"Well, you haven't seen me before, right?" Senki repiled to the question with a chuckle and a shrug. Her deal with Osami and Eric happened less than a week ago, and she never even actually used her Shadow abilites yet. There was a multitude of reason why, one of them was that she didn't want to startle the other girls before she was formally introduced, besides, this was just work to her. Not many people have the hobby of wearing their work uniform for no reason. "Four days at best, I've never did the transformation thing yet, just been checking through the source code of my gear..." She trailed off her words before looking over to Eri. "So...am I allowed to use it now?"

Mikan was genuinely shocked by Eri's nonchalant reveal about Anna being the daughter of her future husband. She'd just stared blankly at her, unsure of what to say. The comments about a new Shadow weren't even really parsed until the girl actually showed up, and Mikan couldn't even say anything to Anna before Carmine Shadow was addressed.

Mikan
had to greet her too, the talk with Anna would have to wait until later. There was something vaguely familiar about this Carmine Shadow but she couldn't put her finger on it. Something about the voice...

Mikan just put her hands together and bowed as she'd been taught. This was a new member of their sisterhood, so Mikan had considered using her real name; in the end, though, given how the two had yet to say their names, Mikan opted to follow suit, saying "Greetings, Carmine. I am Yellow Shadow, pleased to meet you. I look forward to working with you..."

Eri let the girls introduce themselves, before her cat body hopped over. She was mildly concerned with Yellow's lack of reaction to the marriage proposal, but her policy would continue to be that the Shadows could handle their personal lives on their own. Unless Decarion-sama's involvement proved to be a bigger issue than she'd anticipated... "You are. Welcome to the team, Senki." Whispering to Carmine Shadow using a private message feature: "I trust you and Osami have finalized your deal." It'd look like Eri was staying still and quiet a moment, but she'd soon decide what to say next.

"I realize I'm cutting this short, but I'm detecting a Henzai patrol trying to sniff out Umbra's location using the AR channels I've set up. Quickly: you can use the latest upgrade to the gear you already have to transform in the meat world, in augmented reality. While it will strain your minds and senses more quickly than the AR transformation wands I've sent to your drop sites, it should be enough to get you through this fight if you can't reach them in time. Please log out quickly and... oh!" Eri's usual cute kitty face twisted in a hiss. "It's taking form in the western border of the Outer and Inner Gears, where nobody should see you, but I'm hearing reports of someone nearby. Be careful, and remember - this world is for the humans. Don't let that person be hurt." They'd have plenty of time to walk around Umbra and get to know one another - when it wasn't time to fight.

Meanwhile, in the barren, secluded area of the border, a low growl could be heard from an alleyway. Then a wolf's howl, which quickly became a chorus with ten voices. Anyone who got too close would see a pack of polygon-covered, three-headed wolves in synchronized animation. If the unfortunate soul had any internal communication through the net - from augmented reality devices to a social communications overlay - would be considered by the wolves as in the way.

Sakura nodded, wondering if the transformation would feel different in the real world than it did virtually. "Okay, Emi, we'll get this thing down. If possible, we should try to transform close to each other, but not so close that we're all in one spot. That way, it's easier to keep at least some of our identities secret. Logging out now, will meet you at the border." She took her VR gear off and made a dash for the border, hoping to get there quickly.

• Love
After the White Shadow's questions, another girl walks up and introduced herself. She was smaller, or at least it seemed so due to her timid and awkward looking behavior. The way this Yellow Shadow greeted her was also quite traditional. This girl reminded Senki of the prestigious and mellow Inner Gear children that she was always slightly annoyed with, but still had to teach, since it was easy to milk money off of their parents with the renounced Hoiken family name. Hmm...one of the newer members huh? Senki thought to herself quietly, wondering if her light based attacks used the same physics algorithms as her Shadow gear. "Hopefully we are able to work together." She muttered as she recalls the lines of code that made up those virtual costumes.

Senki let out a yawn and stretch, even though it didn't do much for her virtual body. She was here due to the work for Osami, and had little interest in these so called teammates who seemed woefully unsuited for battle. It did confuse her why Eri chose these people, but Senki didn't question it, she just had to do her duty. "Of course, Eri-San." She replied after noticing Eri's privet message. "When the transaction is complete, my life and solo would be yours." As the reply was sent she glanced at Eri's cat avatar with a light hearted smile.

When Eri suddenly shifted in her tone, Senki could tell that an emergency is up. Western border...That's quite close, I'm likely the first one to make it there in the meat space. Thinking about the few AR features her Shadow gear had, Senki's hand was already hovering over a holoscreen with the words "Disconnect" projected. "I see, duty calls, huh?" Glancing over at the girls and cat in the room. "I guess we'll be leaving the show and tell for later." She cracked a small smile and waved as her hand pressed onto the button.

Meat Space

As Senki regained control of her physical body she gazed around the once more black and white world. AR...some fancy job this is. Her deep carmine colored eyes glowed and sparked twice as she booted up her integrated augmented reality system. The world didn't change much, expect for a few holoscreens rolling news and weather, still monochromatic. "Administration permission given, establish reinforced neurological connection." Senki said, quietly but clearly. With a light humming sound the world began to be painted in color. It was a rare occasion where she would use this, but she didn't want her colorblindness to ruin her first job. Pulling in a hoodie to cover up her signature black and white hair. As she left her brother simply started at her blankly, "don't get yourself killed." He said in a bored tone. "If I get killed, you're getting rich." Senki shot back sarcastically, remembering her deal with Osami, before dashing off towards the Inner Gear border.

The arrival was fast, as Senki's home wasn't too far from the border in the first place. There was the sound of growling in the barren distance. "Sound wave analysis." With the command a holoscreen popped up in her eyes. AR CONTAINED FILE. "So this is out little datamining AI." Senki wanted to laugh a bit, it seemed more like artificial savagery than artificial intelligence.

"Carmine Shadow, Initiate Augmentation."

As the words were spoke a hexahedron shaped prism appeared in front of Senki's body. The low humming of retro electronic devices and a few flickers of electric currents sparked into existence as Senki's virtual form was enveloped in a crimson tinted, bright white light. The black portions of her hair melted away, leaving the once dark locks a pure untainted white. The girl dropped down to a half kneeling position as a bright carmine colored jacket with golden accents and dark undershirt quickly took form, golden buttons and ribbons stretched out from the singular bipyramidal prism. As she stood up the wave of light washed across her legs leaving behind similarly colored fabric pants along with dress shoes decorated with deep red crystals. The light faded away as the white jabot and lab coat slowly compiled into this virtual world, with a few glitching polygons tinted with red. The last of the polygons faded away as her long overcoat and necktie drifted down, fluttering in the virtual wind. With a twirl a scarlet strand was pulled down the pure white locks of hair, at the end of the strands a decorated dark grey bow rendered into existence as it tied down the thigh length locks.

Senki opened her eyes as a bit of her virtual skin below her eye broke away into a few carmine colored glitched polygons, and set her eyes on the pack of artificial beasts. In a split second half a dozen bipyramindal shapes prisms compiled around her, circulating her Shadow form like a pair of disjointed wings.

"Projectiles set, voltage stable, vibration algorithms synchronized, physical field analysis initiated..." Senki muttered as her eyes dashed around multiple holoscreens around her, before dismissing all of them at once and breaking into a confident smile. "Now, let me test out these hypothesizes." With a wave of her hand one of the prisms followed, and with a push motion the crystal flew at an astonishing pace towards one of the AR wolves.

• Love
--- Chouko Hitomu
--- Western Border of Outer Gear & Inner Gear

ka-ding-a-ling...ka-ding-a-ling...ka-ding-a—!

A sigh escaped Chouko's lips as her glasses decided to be funny, a text box with that stupid caption of a silent ringtone blaring in the corner of her vision. Whisking it away, she answered, an eyebrow twitching as none other than her caretaker voiced a greeting that grated the ears through the earpiece.

"You know, I really hate that ringtone notification you set up. It's stupid."
"Yes dear, you've only told me about twelve thousand times now. Is it complete?"
"Of course it is, I'm heading back after a quick smoke, that's all."
"Well, hurry it up! I've just got another order for some more ceramics, and—"

Chouko turned a corner, too busy focusing on the absurd amount of pots and pans this family from the neighboring gear— what, were they secret drug dealers or something? Anyhow, she was turning a corner, only to come across a pack of...Wolves? Dogs? Coyotes?
Whatever they were, they looked like Henzai, meaning that Chouko was probably screwed.

"... I'll have to talk to you when I get back, sorry."

Ending the call abruptly, Chouko couldn't help but twiddle the unlit cigarette in her fingers as she stared into the pair—or, well, the three pairs of eyes staring at her, considering that the dog currently approaching her with a menacing growl had three heads.

"Ah, would you believe me if I said I was out for a walk?"

As soon as she heard the news, Anna logged out without a word and grabbed her gear. Nothing heavy, just the essentials that she always kept in a bag by the apartment door. Snacks, first aid kits, drinks, and most important of all, a toolkit. She slung the bag of essentials over her shoulder in a practiced move and bolted out of her apartment at full sprint. The coordinates of the equip drop weren't far from her apartment, and the coordinates of the incident only a little further. She skidded to a stop so she could don the AR gear, and immediately felt her jaw drop at what she saw. Carmine Shadow was already present and ready to fight, and she was facing off against three Cerberus-style wolves and one massive Dire Wolf, all growling menacingly.

"White Shadow, Augment!"
she called, hoping to at least draw the Dire Wolf's attention towards her. That thing was at least twice her height.