Post Order:

1. @Quincunx
  2. @daird
  3. @Cresion Breezes
  4. @Calypso Major
  5. @Blighted_Agent
  6. @Wolfsbane706

Hey @Wolfsbane706 , @Blighted_Agent and @daird :

This is the thread for us to discuss Kickers. I've had my nose in the PDF where they came from for a while today, so here I am with more complete information about them.

The game text (Sorcerer) does a really good job of describing them, and doesn't include too much game-specific info, so I've copied a few paragraphs here:

The Kicker is an event or realization that your character has experienced just before play begins. It catalyzes him or her into action of some sort. If your character has lived for years wondering what did happen to his father that stormy night, today is the day he finds a crucial clue. If he has quietly studied sorcery under his master until this moment, today is the day of his first mission. It can be anything as long as it gets the character going. Just imagine the first scene of a movie before the title comes up: "There's this guy. And then this happens to him!"

[...]

Kickers come in several categories, and at the very least the GM should tell the players what sorts are most appropriate for the story he or she has in mind.

• Shockers: "Today began like any other until you pulled aside the shower curtain to see the skinned body of your next-door neighbor hanging from the showerhead."
  • Opportunities: "You open your suitcase after picking it up at the luggage carousel to find your clothes and stuff gone, replaced by a quarter of a million dollars."
  • Mysteries: "A friend on the police force tells you that the scenes of each of the brutal crimes recently perpetrated in your neighborhood have been signed with your mother's maiden name."
Kickers should not (1) present a total mystery with no personal significance; (2) dictate a character's actions (e.g. in the suitcase example above, the character could respond in many ways, ranging from keeping the money, spending it right away, or going to the police); or (3) present something he or she may react to casually.

Clearly the player and GM should discuss the Kicker carefully. Some GMs will be happy to have each player come up with something independently, whereas others will want to link each character's Kicker carefully to events in the game's back-story.

My additions to that include:

• In this RP, kickers do not need to link to the history of Henzai no Kuni, or rebellions against it. They should, however, be personally relevant to your character, and be relevant to the setting somehow.
  • I'd like to stress again that the kicker should be something that you need to respond to now, although it does not dictate only one solution. It shouldn't be just a background happening you can dread and wait on.
  • Kickers can be intertwined between characters!
EDIT: Most appropriate Kickers are shockers (not necessarily gruesome like the one in the example) and opportunities. Mysteries are iffy with Henzai and hackers being privy to so much information, but I will listen to pitches for them.

Last edited:
I'm currently thinking about how we're going to go from the Gold Shadow Clue Trail arc to the AR Transition arc. I was thinking we'd cut straight there in a new thread, unless someone had an idea on how to pursue it, quickly wrap it up, and make a more graceful transition.

I'm currently thinking about how we're going to go from the Gold Shadow Clue Trail arc to the AR Transition arc. I was thinking we'd cut straight there in a new thread, unless someone had an idea on how to pursue it, quickly wrap it up, and make a more graceful transition.
We're officially down a Shadow and need to write her out quietly.

Reactions: Mollisol
We're officially down a Shadow and need to write her out quietly.

Victim of AR experiment trying to get it to work? Disappears after finding a critical lead to Gold Shadow or the AR tech? Target of new Henzai weaponry that removes Shadow powers?

Victim of AR experiment trying to get it to work? Disappears after finding a critical lead to Gold Shadow or the AR tech? Target of new Henzai weaponry that removes Shadow powers?
I was thinking just captured and shut down in general.

I'll get a starter up by the end of the week.

• Love
Reactions: Blighted_Agent
I'm still in this; I've just been having some irl issues. I will get a new thread up when I can.

CLOSED SIGNUPS - Neon Shadows

I hope it's good. Give any necessary feedback you need to!

By the way, I'll be staying late at work (probably getting overtime) until the 15th due to Valentine's Day, so I may be too tired or busy to respond quickly in the immediate future. I'm off Sunday and next Friday.

• Love
Reactions: Blighted_Agent
Will we be filling any slots?
Bringing in new players? That's probably a good idea, to have more than 3 Shadows. I'm in a busy time right now, but I will find time to get an advert and signups up, if nobody's opposed to it.

• Useful
Reactions: Wolfsbane706
Hey all,

I just got out of overtime mode, but the motherboard on my computer is fried and I am not able to run the RP from my phone. I am sorry. This (including related PMs, signups, etc) is effectively on hiatus until I have reliable access to a computer again.

Hey all,

I just got out of overtime mode, but the motherboard on my computer is fried and I am not able to run the RP from my phone. I am sorry. This (including related PMs, signups, etc) is effectively on hiatus until I have reliable access to a computer again.
I recommend buying a cheap netbook until you can rebuild your PC.

Bought a netbook; it shipped yesterday. It's scheduled to arrive Wednesdayish.

Computer has arrived and is functioning! I'm back, and the ad/signups are in the works.