Nations, Sign up/OOC

J

JackNimble

Original poster
I'm new here but have RPed plenty before. I know that may be difficult to just take my word for it but if you just give me a chance that'd be great. As for my background as a creative writer...well none. Aside from it being a hobby. I'm a finance major so I work with numbers but I've written plenty of research papers! I just wanted to take my idea to another RP forum to see how it pans out. This is an idea for an RP I have had for a while and I thought other people might enjoy it. What I am trying to accomplish here may be a bit different so I would not be surprised if no one joins but just hear me out.

In this roleplay you would be creating your own medieval style nation and roleplay it's interactions with the other player nations. I would prefer if the players who sign up have a good fundamental knowledge of the medieval era in terms of the culture, societies, technology and warfare of the time. Of course, be creative but stick to the overall guideline of medieval. You can base your nation off of real historical medieval societies like France or the Byzantine Empire but I encourage you to create something unique.

So are you a seafaring nation that likes to raid coastlines (Vikings)?
Are you a religiously persecuting nation (Spanish Inquisition, Crusaders)?
Are you a big trade nation (Sicily I believe, not sure on that)?
Are you nomadic (Mongols)?
Does your nation preoccupy itself with the arts and sciences being relatively more advanced in these fields (Arabs)?
Is there constant internal strife between the nobles of your nation (many medieval nations)?
Is your nation a Kingdom, Queendom, Duchy, Emirate, Sultanate, or Empire? Maybe you are a tribal society with no set leader? (doesn't have to be one of those. Just some examples).

These are just some things to think about when creating your nation.

Although you are roleplaying as a nation, I want you to center the events of your nation around a few main characters (2-7) from your nation. You can RP from a 1st or 3rd person perspective. The only requirement is that your leader be included in this such as the King/Queen/Emperor. However that won't be necessary if you are roleplaying as a tribal society with no set leader. But after that you can include nobles, generals, commoners, foot soldiers, priests etc. These characters will be developed by you as the events of your nation unfolds. You can also create more characters as you go. As well as minor characters who will not be revisited but are created for the sake of the story line.

As for interactions with other nations, this could be a number of things such as:

Engaging in armed conflicts
Forming alliances
Marriages between royal houses
Trade

After enough applications have been sent in, I'll draw up a map on paint.net or something. If you would like to collaborate with another player to be close to each other because you want to go to war with each other or want similar cultures in the IC that's fine too. I just have to know.

RULES:
1. General RP etiquette applies.
2. Stick to the technology of the medieval era.
3. No gunpowder technology (I just don't like it. Granted the Chinese invented gunpowder in the Dark Ages but I just prefer not. Plus the cannons at this time were likely to explode in your face and had a rate of fire of about three times a day. Also the guns were completely ineffective as well. You're better off without it.)
4. No magic.
5. I reserve the right to reject an application if it is not "medieval" enough.

Here is the format for the nation applications with some ridiculous examples:

Name of Nation: Kingdom of Awesome

Name of leader: King Awesomesauce

Nation Overview: The Kingdom of Awesomesauce is a very warlike nation that rick rolls every nation it comes across. They do not trade, they just take what they want and have uber amounts of gold coins....

Culture (describe): Awesomenians are highly religious and worship their Diety Awesomenigus...

Military: Size, kinds of troops, tactics etc. Be realistic about your military size please.

Climate: Hot, temperate, cold, extremely cold (Wildling lands cold), snowy, rainy, sunny...This will affect where you are placed on the map.

Geography: forests, hills, plains, mountains, deserts, jungles etc. Try not to make it too complicated because I have to draw up the map.

Notes: Any other information we should know.

Character Applications:

Character Name: Prince Awesomesauce II

Sex: Male/Female

Appearance (describe or post a picture):

The characters personality, talents and skills will be developed in the roleplay.

I'll post my own nation and characters later.

Reactions: 1 person
I think it's a fabulous idea! I would join but I'm way too wrapped up in like 5 super-huge RPs D: Keep up the creativity, this is great stuff! I'll have a closer look at it sometime when I'm not overdue posting in 2 rps XD

EDIT: Gosh the more I look the more I want to join this! Would this be plausible for you as a OnexOne? I know it's somewhat weird, but just in case it doesn't catch on with lots of other players.

I would prefer multiple players. Never done a 1 x 1. You should just post an application for now and hopefully that will encourage other people to do so. With luck people will join later on while you work on your other RP's.

Alright, last bump before I abandon this.

It sound interesting, but it's too much work with the other role plays i'm doing. I'm trying to manage 3 myself, and i'm in several others too. It's a nice idea, but too much work sorry!

Sorry, I was working on my huge RP and I didn't have time :C I do have time now though! Lots! If you're still willing to host this RP I'll post a CS ASAP! 8D It really is among my favorite RP ideas that I've come across! I could do multiple nations if that's allowed, to spice things up if there'll only be 2-3 players :3

This is all under development, but it's what I've got so far ^^ I'll work on it more tomorrow.

Also! For the military size, I rather uneducatedly Googled it and it looks like the average medieval army was 20,000 men, with gigantic armies being more like 40,000. I don't know how reliable this is but it's what I used to indicate my army sizes, lemme know if it needs changing :D

Any reference to magic, which I understand is not real in this RP, is just superstition, illusion or deception :)

5628106168104e7m3.jpg

Nation: Skavoryn

Leader: High Priestess Ïnaira
HIGH PRIESTESS ÏNAIRA
Character Name: Ïnaira
Sex: Female

BLOOD SWORD AKKAVAH
Character Name: Akkavah
Occupation: Heir of Skavoryn; Sword of Skavoryn; adopted daughter of Ïnaira
Overview: The Kingdom of Awesomesauce is a very warlike nation that rick rolls every nation it comes across. They do not trade, they just take what they want and have uber amounts of gold coins....

Culture: Literally no one who was of decent health when recruitment time dawned did not join the army, meaning most anyone, from noblewoman to cobbler to slave, has served for at least 5 years, and in the last two cases probably more like 10-15. The nation has a strict hierarchy, with non-citizens condemned as slaves or frontline fodder, common citizens working specialized service jobs such as baking or sewing, and aristocrats and priestesses enjoying a lifestyle of enormous affluence and privilege, with the time and status to devote to the fine arts such as art and music, the intellectual capacity to become a great historian or author, or take the glorious path of the politician. Social rank aside, however, Skavoryn is in fact a matriarchal society and does not discriminate between the sexes, although men are not allowed to become priests, and thereby exempt from two-thirds of their nation's ruling power and representation. The other third is a Council composed of aristocrats with political experience, with up to 45 representatives.
I: OFFERED
These

II: TAKEN
Th

III: DEVOTED
T

IV: DEVOURED
These elite priestesses have given their souls to the hungry gods, and the gods speak through them. Some claim they are able to see snatches of the future. Once this echelon is achieved, it is held till death.

V: BLOOD
These are relatives of the High Priestess.
I: NON-CITIZENS
Stripped of the rights of citizenry, these are either war captives, the children of non-citizens or criminals who have either murdered a citizen or offended an aristocrat through highly unseemly behavior. After a minimum of 10 years in the army, they are employed as slaves on aristocrats' large properties. Any slaves who are either born with a handicap or are injured as to make them unable to serve or work are immediately killed as sacrifice to the gods. They are not allowed touch an aristocrat nor step upon holy ground unless in battle. They may never become priestesses, and the only way to become a citizen is by achieving the third or fourth rank in battle (third rank promotes them to commoner, fourth to aristocrat).

II: PEASANT
These second-class citizens may have been born into any social status II and above, but all have been demoted to this lowly position because they are either weak-minded or weak-bodied. Whether they were born crippled, epileptic, or color-blind, suffering from hallucinations, muteness, or an extra finger, these anomalies are exempted from service in the army and regarded with contempt by higher classes. While they may marry and bear free children (which, if healthy, will become commoners), they are not educated, may not earn money and cannot own property, making them a small step above slaves, and without the opportunity to redeem themselves through excellent military service. Typically they act as servants or assistants to commoners or nobility; no peasant is allowed to touch a priestess or warrior or step upon holy ground.

III: COMMONERS
While commoners are full citizens in that they are allowed to own property (to an extent), marry, bear free children and earn money, they do not receive an education and must serve at least 5 years longer in the army than nobility.

IV: NOBILITY
Composed of aristocrats, Shadow Warriors, Blood Warriors, Devoted Priestesses and Devoured Priestesses, this social class lives in great wealth and privilege. They are granted, or inherit, enormous properties, each kept productive by a workforce of hundreds of slaves. Only nobility have the time, education and status to pursue politics, fine arts, and authorship. Once this status is achieved, it is held till death.

V: BLOOD PRIESTESSES
Consisting of the High Priestess, blood relatives in the priesthood, and adopted priestesses, even the nobility bows to this highest social order, led by the High Priestess Ïnaira, whose word and will are the gods'.
Military: Skavoryn boasts a vast military of 35,000 men and women. Its great size can be attributed partly the initiation of both sexes in the army. Additionally, the highly militarized culture expects of every citizen and forces every non-citzen to join the army while able-bodied. After serving for 5-15 years, depending on one's health and privilege, the common citizen was sent back to become a menial worker, such as a blacksmith, barber, or construction worker, while aristocrats became politicians, writers, musicians, historians or artists, and non-citizens labored as slaves on large landowners' properties.

Size, kinds of troops, tactics etc. Be realistic about your military size please.
I: HUNGRY
These

II: SILENT
Th

III: STEEL
T

IV: SHADOW
These elite warriors are Skavoryn's best. Once this rank is achieved, it is held till death.

V: BLOOD
This is the highest order of warriors and must be able to trace back their lineage directly to the High Priestess.
Climate: Hot, temperate, cold, extremely cold (Wildling lands cold), snowy, rainy, sunny...This will affect where you are placed on the map.
Picture
Pyramids
Geography: forests, hills, plains, mountains, deserts, jungles etc. Try not to make it too complicated because I have to draw up the map.
Picture
Tropical Jungle

5628106168104e7m3.jpg

Nation: Evoleyn

Leader: King Lacennas Ris
KING LACENNAS
Character Name: Lacennas Ris
Sex: Male

QUEEN TEMERAD
Character Name: Temerad Ris

PRINCE RONE
Character Name: Rone Aladan Ris
Overview: The Kingdom of Awesomesauce is a very warlike nation that rick rolls every nation it comes across. They do not trade, they just take what they want and have uber amounts of gold coins....

Culture: Awesomenians are highly religious and worship their Diety Awesomenigus...

Military: Size, kinds of troops, tactics etc. Be realistic about your military size please.

Picture
Port City
Picture
Urban Seaside

I like this idea plus I will try my best to be online though right now i am dealing with other major rp's that are driving me crazy. @#@ sorry.

Yeah, I'm still in this. I will post my own app soon.

Wow! This looks really interesting. I would join, but I don't have the time to do so with the RPs I am GMing at the moment and the fact that I am developing a Nation/collaborative worldbuilding/tabletop RP of my own. I hope this takes off for you and may you have the best of luck pioneering the Nation genre of RP on Iwaku!

I'm already doing a medieval RP in another forum and I'm going to base my nation of that one. It's based of hundred years war england.

Name of Nation: Kingdom of Covland (Covlish)

Name of leader: King Edward

Nation Overview: Covland is a feudal nation though they identify themselves all as Covlish. The Covlish are generally foul mouthed people though they can show piety. The people live in cities, castles, town and villages. The commoner class ranges from simple farmers to tradesmen and merchants. The people are loyal to their King Edward who has instituted trials before criminals are hanged. As well as allowing commoners to voice their grievances before the nobles. Currently the nation has been locked in a bitter war with the Kingdom of Aducaine which has been raging on for thirty years. The Covlish invaded Aducaine when the late King Richard of Covland claimed the crown of Aducaine for himself. Covland controls a third of Aducainite territory.

Culture (describe): The Covlish engage in playful insults and jests all the time. It is part of their culture. They worship the Saints, each one representing a certain aspect of life. Archery is a large part of the culture with most commoners practicing the art of the longbow no matter their trade.

Military: 22,000 men. Country has many castles. The Covlish use longbow in battle and can field many troops who can use this weapon. They also have well armored knights on horseback.

Climate: Temperate summers, cold snowy winters. Rains often as well.

Geography: Heavily forested with lands cleared for farming and urban centers.

Notes:

Character Applications:

Character Name: King Edward

Appearance (describe or post a picture): Clean shaven, graying haired man.

Character Name: Prince Allen

Appearance (describe or post a picture): Young, black hair, fair skin, fit.

Character Name: Prince James

Appearance (describe or post a picture): Young, black hair, fair skin, fit

Character Name: Tom Scarlet

Appearance (describe or post a picture): Brown hair, muscular,