2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Futanari
Genres
Homosexual, Romance, Fantasy, Scifi, Magic, Vampire, Werewolf, Supernatural, Angels/Demons, Superhero, Zombies

1665477335044.png

National Coming Out Day, or NCOD, is an annual celebration to raise awareness within the LGBTQ+ community and advocate that homophobia thrives in an environment of silence and ignorance. On October 11th, many LGBTQ+ individuals will "come out" (a term originating from the phrase "come out of the closet") to friends or family about their sexuality or gender identity.

History:
National Coming Out Day was inspired by the 1987 March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights. This demonstration saw over 500,000 people march across Washington in support of LGBT+ rights and generated momentum to last months afterward. During the march, over a hundred LGBTQ+ identifying individuals came together to create a national day to celebrate coming out.

Rob Eichberg and Jean O'Leary were the ones who first presented the idea of NCOD. Eichberg was the founder of a personal growth workshop, while O'Leary was the leader of National Gay Rights Advocates.

"Most people think they don't know anyone gay or lesbian, and in fact, everybody does. It is imperative that we come out and let people know who we are and disabuse them of their fears and stereotypes."

– Robert Eichberg, in 1993​

Each year, the Human Rights Campaign has chosen a theme for every National Coming Out Day. 2014 and 2013 were both themed "Coming Out Still Matters," and the earliest theme (1999) was "Come Out To Congress." Many famous individuals have become spokespersons, with some notable names including "Frasier" actor Dan Butler and Candance Gingrich, half-sister of Newt Gingrich.

NCOD continues to gain popularity and participants every year. Since it first started, public figures and celebrities have openly identified themselves as LGBTQ+, and share messages of support and hope for those still in the closet. For many, the day is more of a holiday. Participants often wear pride symbols such as pink triangles and rainbow flags.

The holiday is observed in several countries, including Ireland, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.

Task
On this National Coming Out Day, share your experience as a member of the LGBTQ+ community both in and out of the closet, and give messages of support to those still struggling.

• Love
Reactions: Fluffy
I wasn't introduced to the LGBTQ+ community until 5th grade. I'd been sitting with my friends, and two of them were acting very close to each other, and seeing as they were both female (at the time, now one is non-binary, and the other is a man), I felt very confused, and then the table started to talk about the community, and I asked them; "What's that?"

I genuinely hadn't known such a thing existed, I grew up having been used to a guy and a girl being together. I had no info on sexualities, or the fact there was more than two genders.

Once they were done explaining, I had no problem with it, I supported them. I was surprised to find out other people didn't support that kind of thing.

I was, at the time, a straight ally. I didn't want to be something I wasn't, and look like I was seeking attention, thus, I didn't want to confirm myself as apart of the community.

Soon enough, I decided I might be bisexual, because I realized I kinda liked girls, and maybe boys as well. A while after that, I thought I was pansexual, adding non-binary's to the mix.

I got caught into a loop between pansexual and bisexual- I got to 6th grade, and firmly stated I was a lesbian. I noticed I didn't exactly feel attraction towards men, or masculine figures, for that matter. I felt drawn more towards females, for those people seemed to really catch my interest.

I had my first girlfriend somewhere in the 3rd quarter of 6th grade, but I had noticed I didn't exactly like her. So, I made the mistake of ghosting her, instead of telling her upfront. Huge mistake on my end.

Now, they're a friend, and identify as a male. I have a different girlfriend and we've been dating for over a year now, she makes me very happy.

Oh? My coming out story? To my parents?

Alright.

I was sitting at the dinner table with my mom and dad on the other side of where I was sitting, my siblings were off on their tablets playing games or something.

I spoke up and asked; "Ma, Da, how would you feel if I said I was gay?"

My dad replied with; "Well, I would hope you are."

Me and my mom looked confused, he saw the look on our faces and continued; "Gay means happy, right?"

I told him; "Well, yes, but in this case, it means I like woman-"

My dad; "Oh."

My mom then went on a rant on how she doesn't care what I identify as, or who I would want to be in bed with, when that's not really why I'm a lesbian.

I don't know if my mom supports me, but whenever I bring up LGBTQ+, she rambles about how she doesn't care.

My dad is completely fine with it.

I got lucky with my parents-

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: MiharuAya and Dusk
So I've been out since I was...15, I think? Looking back, I think I kind of already knew I was not straight by the time I was seven - arguably my first crushes were Xena and Sailor Jupiter - but it didn't hit me in the face until I was 15 and developed a major crush on one of my best friends. It didn't pan out for various reasons, but we talked about it and they're still one of my best friends; we were even roommates for a while in our early 20s before they got married. I didn't have, like, a big coming out or whatever, I just calmly told my group at lunch one day I think. By the time we left high school, only one of us was straight.

Coming out to my parents/family was way less eventful than I worried it would be. I was kind of worried my mom would take it badly, or at least be hurt, but she was kind of ehhhh about it. She's very quick to assure me that she doesn't care and just wants me to be happy, but she also regularly forgets I'm into more then just men until I say or do something that reminds her. My dad just shrugged when I told him. I'm pretty sure he's bi. I don't need his dating history so I've never asked, but that might explain why he was so damn chill about it.

I'm not... loud about it, I guess? But I don't hide it either. It's obvious if you spend more than five minutes with me.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: MiharuAya and Dusk