2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Futanari
Genres
Homosexual, Romance, Fantasy, Scifi, Magic, Vampire, Werewolf, Supernatural, Angels/Demons, Superhero, Zombies

1667351618795.png

This November 1, celebrate National Author’s Day by curling up with your favorite book, a hot beverage, and spending time drifting into another world. In order to appreciate the writers who help inspire us, it’s important to get a sense of the time, blood, sweat, and tears that go into getting words on the page. Whether it’s fiction, fantasy, or biographies, books play a major role in our lives and we must celebrate their creators! Today, take a moment to appreciate the authors that spent countless hours writing your favorite books.

History:
In 1928, Nellie Verne Burt McPherson, who was the president of the Illinois Women’s Club, was inspired to create a day that recognized authors. She was a teacher and avid reader. The idea came during WWI when she was in the hospital, where she read “Eben Holden’s Last Day A-Fishing” and sent a letter to the author, Irving Bacheller.

When Bacheller received the letter, he responded by sending a signed copy of another one of his stories. McPherson was so grateful, that she decided that starting a National day for authors, would be the perfect way to show her gratitude. McPherson went on to present the idea to the Generation Federation of Women’s Clubs and in May 1929, the club approved the endorsement to celebrate American Authors on National Author’s Day.

The U.S. Department of Commerce acknowledged National Author’s Day in 1949. Then, in 1968, McPherson’s granddaughter, Sue Cole took over the role of promoting the holiday when her grandmother passed away. To this day, the holiday is celebrated across the country every year.

Who are some of your favorite authors? What books have been your favorite?

Current favourite authors will have to be

Madeline Miller
Leigh Bardugo
Brandon Sanderson
Christopher Paolini
Robert Jordan
Rick Riordan

Planning to explore John Gwyne next, and a few others.

Favourite Books
Circe by Madeline Miller - Made me cry buckets.
Harry Potter by Rowling - Nostalgia
Mistborn by Sanderson - Love the lore and magic system
Stormlight Archive by Sanderson - in the middle of book 2, but it's still so good.
Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris - Made me cry buckets 2. I need to explore more of her writing.

• Love
Reactions: MiharuAya
Hell the fuck yeah, more reasons to talk about books that I like.

Authors I like (I don't usually read many by the same author so these are the only three I could think of off the top of my head):
TJ Klune
Jennifer Donaldson
Patrick Ness

Books that I LOVE:
- The House on the Cerulean Sea - TJ Klune (found family makes me cry every time)
- The Sentence - Louise Erdrich (super pertinent and beautiful art from an Indigenous voice set in the USA)
- The Storied Life of AJ Fikry - Gabrielle Zevin (MORE FOUND FAMILY)
- Survivor's Guilt - Robyn Gigl (mystery, lawyer story, addicting as hell)
- Under the Whispering Door - TJ Klune (FOUND FAMILY MADE ME CRY)
- the one memory of flora banks - Emily Barr (written from the perspective of a girl with anterograde amnesia)
- Lies You Never Told Me - Jennifer Donaldson (thriller, mystery ooooooo)
- The Knife of Never Letting Go (as well as the rest of the Chaos Walking series) - Patrick Ness (the movie sucked ass, read the fucking books instead PLEASE)

Last edited:
Not me looking up all these books and adding to my already insanely long to-be-read list. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: PavellumPendulum
If you love urban fantasy, Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Cycle (and Dreamer Trilogy) is a series I wholeheartedly recommend. I was absolutely obsessed with it in my teens to early twenties. If we're talking about pure technical writing ability, Maggie Stiefvater is hands down one of the best writers in the YA genre. Her prose makes me drool.

Another favorite of mine is Donna Tartt's The Secret History. It has only been a few weeks since I finished reading this masterpiece, but I'm certain I'll revisit it in the future. The Secret History has effectively ruined literature for me. I can't stop thinking about it even when I'm trying to immerse myself in other books. It's just so beautifully written and the story is so, so compelling. I experienced a rollercoaster of emotions while reading it. I don't know how she managed to stir in me all these complex feelings toward the characters: they all suck as people but you can't help but be invested in them.

There's also Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick, which is also a recent read. Absolute masterpiece. I read it in 1.5 days. It's a goddamn page-turner, and it raises a lot of interesting questions that it doesn't pretend to know the answers to.

This has been a good year for books. 8D I may return to this thread once I finish the other novels I've got lined up.

• Love
Reactions: MiharuAya