A Pleasant Conversation
| Ardara, within the Sarutobi Heartlands - Empire of Akino |Kazumo Sarutobi (@Oblivion666 ) and Meilin Cho (@Oetje ) |

Summary:
Kazumo and Meilin share a rather pleasant exchange. The two briefly talk about some topics and interests. Resulting into the two stating that they would like to explore the city together, if they both are only able to find time to do so.

So far despite the fact he had been mainly busy since coming to Ardara, he was still quite happy even though he hasn't been able to see the sights like he would want to. People also weren't hunting anyone down so its safe to assume Neji didn't shout anything about being an Uchiha to any of them. Although it did make him wonder what the other two have been doing, as he hasn't seen them once despite being in the same inn as them. Well it wasn't that much of a concern to him, he was enjoying himself and the little bit he was able to see of Ardara.
Walking out of his room he would close his door and start walking down the hall and spotted someone that was familiar, none of his team but instead Meilin of Team Four coming down the hallway.

Raising his hand he offered a smile as he approached her, from what he remembered Team Four was helping them out but soon enough both teams would be parting from each other. "Hello Meilin. Enjoying your time so far in Ardara?"

Going back to the room that she shared with Dagrún, Meilin was sunken in thoughts. Pondering about various things, she was pulled out of it as somebody spoke out her name. Throwing a look into the direction, she recognised the person who called her out.
"Hey," she replied, a polite smile flashed as well. Turning to Kazumo, the question brought up some mixed answers in her mind.

"It is an interesting place. I haven't yet been able to go to various landmarks. But so far it feels nice to be in a place where I can speak the tongue without people frowning at me." She gave as answer, being actually genuine about it.

Listening to her voice her opinion he smiled as he could understand that sentiment but feared one possible outcome happening should a certain Uchiha voice himself. Things were tense already and saying that here would result in a hunt. "Same been a bit busy to go see any, although my father used to tell me stories about it but it does it more justice to see the place with your own eyes." Kazumo said as he briefly pondered something about her being able to speak her tongue without being frowned at.

"Must be a bit tough for the two in your team, Aoi and Madoc right? How is that going so far?" he asked as last he knew they were not very fluent Chonobi speakers. So Meilin probably had to translate quite often, her or Dagrun did anyway.

A bit surprised that Kazumo began over Aoi and Madoc, she could understand why he asked it though. Her smile turned more wry but she wouldn't mind to answer the question. "Yes, it is a bit challenging for them. But they know already some of the language. I teach them whenever we got some time to sit down." Glancing sideways at the door to her room, she would turn her gaze back on Kazumo.
"If you want, we can continue in my shared room. Better than in a hallway, yes?" She suggested, letting a ring of amusement sound in her voice.

He figured as much although it was a surprise to hear she has been teaching them the language. She must really trust them to be doing such a thing, it made him wonder if Neji deserved it but that thought was quickly erased from his mind. When she said they could continue in her shared room as it was better than the hallway he gave a nod. "Sure sounds good to me." Kazumo stated paying no heed to how such a question could sound.
"So which landmark were you curious too see? I was looking forward to seeing the castle up close. Not really the same from afar."

Opening the door, she would allow him to enter first. Upon not hearing Dagrún's voice speaking up, she concluded that they were alone. Closing the door behind her, she would think about his question.
Gesturing to her bed as there wasn't much furniture to sit upon, Meilin took the only chair that was around.

"I am curious to see the temple. I have seen it from afar and a small bit of it. I am eager to see more of it," Meilin began, unable to resist a faint smile from creeping on her features, "I am also curious about the markets and just the people. It has a very different vibe from Keishi or Konohagakure. It is similar in a way to Magnhild. People talking a language that I feel comfortable with. Almost at home, you know?" She replied on turn. "What about you? What parts of the city have you been to?"

Oddly enough he could see her wanting to see the temple the most. He had this vibe that she was one of the more religious people he knew. Taking a seat on the bed he nodded along as she spoke of her curiosity about the markets and the people, as it felt like home hearing her language that she felt the most comfortable with.
"Funny enough the parts I visited so far has been the markets. The people are rather at home with each other. I saw some go from one to the other and just talk about their life, or how they make a certain food."

"You have?" She asked, listening to how he described the atmosphere at the location. It made her more curious about visiting it.
"They seem quite nice. Despite to what I have learned about the city before." Meilin said, deciding to elaborate. "You know, the whole awful history of the past decades. Luckily, they don't need to worry anymore about that." Meilin continued. Though she remembered that the Daimyo used to have a manor in the centre of the city.

"What about the Hanamoto manor? Is it still there?" She decided to ask, leaning slightly forward.

"Well they are nice, i've talked to some and they will even joke around with you. Yet we also aren't exactly Taika. If we were they would probably be less than nice to us. Hence my question earlier on Aoi and Madoc." Kazumo stated before she brought up the Hanamoto manor, he cupped his chin as he thought about it for a few seconds. "I believe so, I believe they keep it up as a reminder. A reminder of what the daimyo tried to do to them." he said a bit softly as it was indeed a grim reminder for them of the Hanamoto dynasty who tried to dominate them, because he feared the Sarutobi having a king.

That was true. At least, she imagined that. She remembered what she had been called before. Deciding to not bring that up, she hadn't yet anybody calling her an Asiske. Noticing a shift in Kazumo's voice as the topic went to the Hanamoto Manor, Meilin pondered for a second.
"At least, they are now free to follow their own ways. I highly doubt that the Empress will have much trouble to let them break down the manor. But," she decided to shift on to another topic, "what about your team though? Honestly, I don't see them a lot. And neither have I really seen them opening up to my team. Are they just shy or is there something going on?"

"At this rate I don't think they will want to tear it down. Mostly with the whole events surrounding the Uchiha as of late. They might see it as another attempt, yet who knows. Maybe in the future they will decide to stop dwelling on the past and get rid of it." he answered even though he was unsure on that himself. He didn't know for sure if they would ever take that manor down, at least not without good reason. Then came the question about his team which caused a slight frown. Not cause he felt he needed to defend them though. "Honestly I hardly deal with Neji or Satia that much despite being on the same team. They don't even approach me so I can't answer that question."

Remembering all too well about the whole events with the 'Uchiha', Meilin opted to just to nod. The answer that she received confused her, a fact that she didn't hide from her expression. Frowning, she repeated a part of his answer slowly.
"You hardly deal with two members of your team?" It was evident that she didn't seem to understand why that could be the case. But if they barely even approached members on their own team, it was no wonder that she hadn't seen or heard about them approaching her team either.

"Odd folk," Meilin decided to conclude. "Or just very shy. Though you had interactions with that other guy? Orun was his name?"

He scratched his head at her first comment as it's not that he didn't deal with them, more so he really didn't want to deal with them. Granted they have been rather to themselves lately but guess they could say the same to him. "It's…. a long story really." Was the best he could answer as he doubted she wanted to hear every detail. Yet hearing Orun brought up a chuckle and a shrug.
"Spoke to the guy literally once. Wasn't the best talk I ever had. In fact my first conversation with you lasted longer, and you slapped me even. He introduced himself, complimented my sword and then left."

She was really surprised. Going by Kazumo's response, it seemed that even her interactions in Team 7 had been more plentiful. What would cause to have a person to be so isolated?
"That is a start, I guess." She replied, regarding Kazumo's only interaction with Orun. She couldn't say that she had much more experience with the particular Hyuzu. But he had joined that time when they went to the tavern, in Alfstedt.

Deciding to subtly steer the conversation away, Meilin opted to ask a question on what he had said before.
"Though, I didn't know you wielded a sword. How proficient are you with a blade, if you don't mind me asking." She asked, her curiosity growing.

He tilted his head slightly at her question about how skilled he was with his blade. "You didn't? Could have sworn we talked before about it. Yet overall Im still very much learning the ropes. Koike taught me a bit while he was back, but other than that I've mainly been working on the bits I was taught. Astrid also practiced with me a little bit." Kazumo stated as he shrugged though with a small smile.
"So I would say Im still a novice when it comes to swordplay. What about you? Koike taught you as well right?"

A smile crossed her lips as she nodded.
"Koike taught me some swordplay. I trained with some other folk as well. Though I did adhere to Koike's way of teaching best." Meilin replied in return. "If we weren't in Adrara, I would have perhaps offered to teach you a thing or two." She further continued, actually wondering if there wasn't a way that she could arrange a window of spare time. But with the amount of matters pilling up on her, she honestly doubted that she would have the chance to practice swordplay with Kazumo.

"What about your hobbies?" She decided to ask, trying to keep the conversation going. It actually felt good to talk about something that wasn't related to the current operation, the preparation she would have to take to mentor the Senju genin or how to manage her team.

"Well he is damn good at what he does, makes sense he could teach it well enough for us to grasp it better." Kazumo said as her statement of offering to teach him a thing or two. "Well I would appreciate any help I can get. Only way I could repay you though is by giving you archery lessons if you would be up for something like that." he suggested as he didn't want to feel in someone's debt for something simple as that.

The question of his hobbies caught him a bit off guard but he supposed in a normal talk like this it was bound to come up. "Well besides archery and reading, I think I mentioned whittling to you. More tedious types of things like bombs and potions is actually pretty calming to me. Really anything I can do to better myself in the long run. What about yourself?"
Content that he would like to take up on her offer, Meilin was surprised when he offered to teach her archery in return. She couldn't really think of a reason to refuse it. Slowly, Meilin nodded.
"Sounds fair. I wouldn't mind to learn how to shoot from a bow. Sounds pretty interesting," she replied.

Upon learning what his hobbies, she wanted to joke that other than reading he didn't really have anything she could call a 'normal' hobby. But then again, she wasn't any the better. Thinking back to a past conversation, she would raise her right hand to scratch her cheek as she averted her gaze.
"At the moment, I don't really have anything really. I was considering to do something as painting. But I hardly have had the chance to do so. And it isn't like I got the time to buy paper and stuff like that." She replied, trying to still sound confident. Remembering something, she decided to turn the attention back at him.
"Though, what kind of bombs do you make? I find it slightly funny that you say it is calming while I imagine it is pretty nerve-wrecking. One wrong thing and it is likely to go really bad."

He couldn't help but chuckle at her finding it interesting. "Oh you say that now. Wait until you feel the draw weight, might find it less interesting then. It is fun though, granted definitions of fun differs with people." Kazumo stated as he recalled his father teaching him and him finding out why ya don't hold a bowstring back for a long amount of time. Yet she would go on to mention the painting as he did recall her mentioning something like that when they were dancing. However she also stated she hardly had the chance to nor the time to go buy paper and the likes that came with that.

She quickly brought up the bomb question while his mind still was thinking about something, yet he could answer her question almost as if he was on automated response. "Well if you are doing it for yourself and taking your time it's kind of calming. So far I helped make one kind of bomb. A gas related one. Combines simple aspects of cleaning ingredients and yet the smell can knock you out in a few seconds and prolonged exposure can kill. Ummm One second stay here I have something to show you." Kazumo said as he stood up and left the room for a couple of minutes before returning with a bag.

Sitting on the bed again he pulled out a pad of blank paper and handed it to Meilin. "That solves paper, what do you draw with?" Kazumo asked as he looked at her.

She was certain that using a bow would be taxing. Aware of some matters like draw weight, she still found it an interesting weapon. Though she was a follower of the sword, the bow had a certain elegance to it.
When Kazumo began about making bombs, stating how relaxing it was, she was certain that he was a maniac. Yet, the hint of a smile became more present on Meilin's lips. How could one be calm when playing with matters that could blow up in your face?
More questions moved through her mind but before she could pose the questions, Kazumo stood up.
"Eh," Meilin wanted to speak up, confused on why he had decided to leave the room. Pondering if she had perhaps done or say something to upset him, he entered back with a bag.

Curious, she watched as he pulled out a pad of blank paper. Hesitantly, Meilin accepted the paper as she looked at it. The question with what she draw with, Meilin wasn't sure what to answer with.
"I guess paint? But charcoal would probably be less messy." She replied, at first. "Though don't you need this more? All that might happen is that I will just make a mess on paper."

He gave a smile but shook his head at her question of him needing it more. "I'm heading to the market anyway today. Won't bother me too much to get more paper. I more so had it for writing to my father every now and then when I'm out for a prolonged amount of time." Kazumo said while continuing to dig through his bag while pulling out a small paper bundle that would have the charcoal in it.
"Sadly all my paint is back home. I more so paint the wood sculptors there then on the job, as for making a mess on paper.." He started saying as he gave a shrug. "Only way you learn, although first drawing you do make I request to see. Even if it is a mess."

She wondered why he was going to the market. There was the thought of asking if she could accompany him. But there was no possibility as she had to prepare for the upcoming assignment, Mamoru's training and then she wanted to pursue the content of the scroll that Jin had given her.
When Kazumo gave her a small bundle, Meilin briefly glanced at it before turning her gaze back at Kazumo. She attempted to suppress the blush that was trying to claim her cheeks, all the while resisting the frown and questions that moved through her mind.
"Thanks, this is most kind of you." Meilin managed to produce.

Getting up, she would place the paper and paper bundle away. Luckily, she shared the room with Dagrún. Meilin was convinced that she could bluff her way out with Dagrún or Mamoru. Aoi or Madoc, however, were a different story.
Turning back, she would take her previous spot again. A part of her wanted to keep the conversation going. Another wanted to get Kazumo away so that she could progress what just happened in peace and quiet.
"Maybe we can try to tour in the city at a later time? When I am not so busy with my team. And when you get some time as well."

"Its nothing, but you're welcome." Kazumo stated as she would get up and placed the paper and bundle away. He briefly wondered which of her teammates she was roomed with, or if she was in one by herself like him but that thought passed as she suggested possibly touring the city at a later time when both of them weren't busy. He did want to see more of the city and it was better seeing it with someone who also was interested in the history. "Sure I don't see why not. I'm just two rooms down from this one, so you can always ask when you are free. I should be done with my business by tomorrow at latest." Kazumo said debating how tough this Frea situation might be. Then again just needed a bit of information which shouldn't be too hard to get.

She was quite aware that her schedule was cramped. There was her own mission, team and then also Mamoru. Though it was tempting to let the others take over a training. Remembering, however, Aoi's scowl of before upon meeting the Senju, Meilin already feared that she couldn't leave them alone.
"Great. I am busy myself. But I will sure drop a message when I am able. Hopefully, tomorrow. I could use a break." She half-joked. "Perhaps I might have been able to draw something then.".

Nodding at her words he would take a look to her window and look at the sunlight starting to set for the day. It would be getting around the time for his target to do her usual business today before going back to her room. "Well I should probably get going soon. Still have things to do today as I'm sure you do as well. It was a pleasure talking with you though, I look forward to talking with you again, even if its just us sitting and chatting about random topics."

Rising up from her seat, Meilin would respond back.
"I enjoyed it as well."
Walking to the door, she flashed a smile.
"Talk to you later, Kazumo." Meilin would say before she would close the door behind him.

A New Face?
| Ardara, within the Sarutobi Heartlands - Empire of Akino |Mamoru Senju (@RedFox) and Meilin Cho (@Oetje) |

Summary:
Shortly after Meilin returns to the inn with Madoc, she receives a courier of the 9th Brigade that brings a message. Apparently, there is to be a new genin to be assigned to Team 4. The courier had tried to find the team before but due to various factors had been unable to do so. As Madoc is to return to the inn to await Dagrún and Aoi's return, Meilin goes to quickly receive the new addition to the team. And bring this Mamoru Senju to meet up with the team.

Standing near the gate, Meilin kept a close watch on who and what came inside. Due to the assembly, that of the Allthing, being held, security was quite tight. But this kind of event also drew all kind of curious folk. And the occasional folk that desired to bring up a case to one of the prominent leaders of the clans that were gathering in the fortress of the city.
But the person she was hoping to receive today would be the newest addition to her team. Somewhere, it brought up a few things that rattled Meilin's mind and made her feel watched.

Only a few days ago had she received a messenger of the 9th Brigade, that brought the scroll in which the information was written down on. It should come to no surprise that the intelligence operations as network within the Empire was vastly underneath the Crown's control. And with her team being assigned to that of Team 8, which was under the command of the renowned Aiko Cho-Hon, it wouldn't be hard to likely track down Team 4 in the process.
Yet, she wondered how much the brass was aware of their situation. The fact that they were able to pinpoint without them ever registering to a nearby Imperial barracks or administration was quite uncanny as curious. Knowing, however, that asking questions about these kinds of things could attract the wrong attention, Meilin kept it to her thoughts.
The shared information had allowed her to gain some insight on who the new member was. His background was a small concern - due to the city that they were currently operating in. But what was more unsettling Meilin at the moment was the question on how well this Mamoru Senju would fall in with the rest of the team. Remembering the bumpy start between Aoi and Dagrún, Meilin hoped that wouldn't be repeated.

Continuing to watch the stream of people entering, her attention was attracted to a caravan that had showed the sigil of the Tokugawa guard. Despite being a Taika clan, the Tokugawa were likely the closest Taika allies that the Chonobi clans had. Not to mention, Meilin was certain that a few among those guards were more than fluent in speaking Chonobi - thus avoiding raising any ruckus.
Pressing her wall of the back, Meilin continued to watch the caravan. The pulled up hood protected her eyes from looking into the direction of the sun as she spotted a young man. Starting to walk towards the figure, she subtly eyed him and was content that he fit into the descriptions of 'Mamoru Senju'.

"Mamoru?" Meilin spoke, raising her left hand to pull her hood down. Though the rowdy surrounding, Meilin attempted to keep her voice somewhat hushed as she spoke further in Taika.
"I believe that we were supposed to meet. You are supposed to join Team 4, correct?"

Ardara was, indeed, a sight to behold. The City of Kings seemed like a fitting name for a city of such grandeur, Mamoru thought. He was sitting on a caravan that was now moving through the city and he felt his senses sharpened. He eyed the people sitting on the cart with him and also the people they were passing. Mamoru knew they were just minding their business and so should he. He took a few deep breaths to calm himself down, to regain his focus. I spent years training for this occasion, he thought to himself. I can do this, he reassured himself. The cart slowed down, then it came to a halt and he leaped down from it among the others, his feet touching the ground in The City Of The Kings. He nodded in gratitude towards the leader of the caravan and looked around himself.

The person he was looking for, Meilin Cho, should meet him here. The terminus was a crowded place, with people walking in all directions. He stood there for a few moments, looking around himself and becoming familiar with his surroundings. After he felt that he had mapped the exits from the square, he took a few slow steps, looking around, when he heard the unmistakable accent of a person speaking in Taika saying his name. He turned towards where he heard the voice coming from and there she was. " Yes, Meilin-sama. Mamoru here, reporting in!

For a second, Meilin wasn't sure how to respond in return. The suffix of - sama felt odd to her. Deciding to not nitpick over it, she was content that this was the correct person.
"Good. Come with me. I will brief you in on the way." She instructed him. Turning half around, she would wait for a second to be certain that he would come along with her.
"The team is currently staying inside an inn. I am sure that you will soon enough meet each member." Meilin started as she reminded herself of what she had prepared to say. Yet at the moment that she was supposed to say it, it felt odd. Crude, in a way.

"I will need to explain though that we need to keep our voices hushed. I am certain that you neither speak or understand Chonobi. But that is something I will be teaching you. The locals of the city aren't too happy with outsiders but I will come back later on that." Meilin explained as she briefly focused on the path that they were taking on the way back to the inn.
"Let me first, however, start with formally introducing myself. My name is Meilin Cho. I am the assigned leader of Team 4. I will be mentoring you and overviewing your progress as report to the administration about it. But I am certain that the others of the team will be capable to teach you a trick or two." The young woman briefly wondered what more she could say about herself. There were certain matters that she rather not just blurted out. And then there were certain matters that shouldn't matter, at all.
"I suppose that you can ask me questions if you like. To be honest, we had a genin on the team before. But because of some unfortunate event, she got killed by a Zealot." Trying to sound polite and calm, Meilin felt a twitch of guilt rising up.

"Be assured though, I am going to do my best to keep you from harm's way. That will require you to listen to my orders and instructions. I tend to lead very direct and any objections or questions should be voiced after a mission. I rather not waste time to enforce a command or explain why I find it necessary for you to do something in a stressful moment."
As they walked through the streets, Meilin hooked a thumb behind her weapon belt. Even in spite of the winter cold that send freezing breezes down the street, it was quite well populated.
"Hmm, yeah, how about you tell me a bit about yourself? Any food allergies? Or anything you are curious about?"
Briefly Meilin eyed the bandaged arm of the Senju, wondering why that was. But she opted to not pry into any affairs that weren't her own.

Mamoru felt relief when Meilin-Sensei found him pretty much immediately. 'Of course she did, dummy', he thought to himself, 'she was expecting you', he thought. Without a single word, Mamoru followed her and took great care to listen to every word she said. He will soon met his new team, a fact that made him feel both excited and scared. Will they be able to get along, will they accept him, will he be a productive member of team or only a burden? Questions like these flooded his mind but a second later, he regained his composition.' It will be fine, Mamoru!', he reassured himself. It was true that he could not speak or understand Chonobi, and he hoped this will not be a huge problem. He felt a certain kind of excitement when Meilin-Sensei mentioned that she will be teaching him. She then introduced herself, but Mamoru already knew her name from the mission assignment. But still, they were now formally introduced and it made him feel better. He replied - a whisper that he hoped only she could hear." Understood, Meilin-sama. I do look forward to meeting them and learning from them!"[/i] He was then given the green to ask some questions, but suddenly he could not form any. So for now, he decided to continue in listening. But what he heard next was a bit shocking, to say the least.

A Genin, a person of the rank he held now, died. He died as a member of this team. Mamoru knew that real missions were diametrically different. This was no longer the Academy, where a defeat was followed by a Seal of Reconciliation. Here, defeat can be followed by capture and torture, or even death. He then heard Meilin-Sensei reaffirmed him." I-I understand, Meilin-sama. I will follow your orders to the letter!" He continued to listen to her, doing his best to suppress what he just learned about Team 4. Shaking his head, he followed her and decided to ask questions about that incident later.

" Of course, Meilin-sama! My name is Mamoru, and I graduated from the Academy two years ago. I spent those two years training - I am proficient in Taijutsu and Earth Release, I also have some skill in Taijutsu and Sealing Techniques. My main focus is on the first two, but I am more than eager to learn any new skill! I also have a summon, one that is very good at tracking and hunting! I lack any skill and I resent Genjutsu." His expression got a bit sick at the mention of Genjutsu." I trained in a set of Taika armor, I have it sealed in a scroll on my waist. But I opted for a more common look.", he mentioned to his apparel. He wore his favorite trousers with a brown sweater and a thick travelling coat on it. Despite it, he felt the bite of cold in Ardara." I am eager to learn anything that can help me or my team, Meilin-sama!" He then thought about the latter part of the question." I don't know about any, but I cannot resist a good pork BBQ. And for questions … " He had so many of them, but most of them were not fitting in this situation." Can you give me some tips about how to approach my team members? I would like to make a good impression on them." He then watched the back of his new teacher. And I want to impress you as well, Sensei. And I will not fail!

It was easy to pick out that Mamoru was impacted by her words that the previous genin had died. Which was exactly what she wanted. It was clear to her and the others that they wouldn't be assigned any basic or easy missions. She actually hadn't been privileged to chase any cats and claim a good note on her record for it. Since she had been serving as a genin, it had been a constant fight in situations that felt way out of her league.
"Good." She replied, a hint of a smile crossing her features as Mamoru confirmed that he would listen to her orders.

As he started to speak about himself, she listened intently. Realising mistakes that she had made earlier with Dagrún, Madoc, Aoi and even Dea, Meilin wasn't keen on repeating those smaller mistakes. Making mental notes as he spoke about himself, Meilin considered a few things.
"How to approach the other members?" She slowly repeated, shifting her thoughts on how to actually answer that question.
"We can start with Madoc Yamanaka. He is a bit of a rough edge but soft core, you know what I mean? Stay politeful and don't get easily riled up because he is blunt. He means well, even though he seems to be the opposite." She then thought of Aoi.
"Aoi will be very open and try to be understanding. Give her a bit of time and space, though. She will eventually come to you and if she does, try to just answer as much as possible. I mean, as far as you feel comfortable. She is a kind and caring person, truly."

Then there was Dagrún, which made Meilin think a bit longer than the other two.
"Dagrún is a bit blunt. Proud of her kin and House. But she is a good person from what I have seen. She tries to joke now and then in what might seem a bit bluntish or morbid fashion but she is the person you can rely on."
Throwing a look at Mamoru, Meilin decided to throw a question back.
"That is it about how I would approach them, knowing what I know now. Anything else you would like to know or ask?"

Mamoru listened with great care as Meilin-Sensei talked about Team 4. One part of him did not want to know the answer and learn from experience, but the other one really wanted to impress.Madoc Yamanaka, he repeated the name in his head. Rough edge, soft core, Avoid being riled up, he memorized. Mamoru knew he himself was very headstrong and that he could often get carried away. And he was a Yamanaka.Thus my mind, my thoughts will be like an open book for him. I do not like that. But I will do my best!, he thought for himself.If I give it my best, be patient and kind with him, we will be friends!, he finished his train of thoughts. Next was Aoi - open, kind, caring. Mamoru felt his spirits rise at the words used to describe Aoi.She sounds like a great person! I cannot wait to meet her and get to know her better!, such were his thoughts. She sounded exactly like a person Mamoru would want to meet and make friends with. He felt his excitement soar over learning this, and he had to shake his head to return to the ground. Just as with Madoc - be kind, be patient and you will be friends in no time!, he thought before listening about Dagrún. Blunt, proud, reliable. He felt mixed emotions about this combination of personal traits, but was still excited to meet her, such as he was with the rest of the team. She is proud, but so am I. Will we be able to put our pride away and work together?, he thought. Mamoru was very proud about his Taika Origins, and while he was very far from any notable Senju in terms of family, he still felt a great deal of pride about belonging to the clan.Of course! Just as our ancestors did it, so will I, Mamoru Senju, be able to do it!, and he once again felt his excitement rise.I am sure that it is a great team and I will not be the one who will ruin it! I will make you proud, Meilin-sensei!. With that thought, a large smile spread on his face.

Then he was taken out of this train of thoughts by being given space to ask questions. There were so many other things he wanted to ask - about their dead member, about Meilin-sensei herself, about this mission. But all of those felt like questions better to be asked at another place or another time, altogether."None I can think about right now, Meilin-sama. Most things I would like to ask are better asked in private, with less privy ears around."

Meilin nodded in return, at first.
"That is completely fine. We should soon reach the establishment where we reside." She replied on turn.
Further leading Mamoru through the busy streets, there were those that tried to approach the pair with promising cheap but excellent wares or services in their establishment. Either just ignoring them or replying in a stern fashion, making it possible for her and Mamoru to continue on their path.

"I do need to mention another thing," Meilin decided to say. Though she would have been content with silence, she had no idea if that was the same for Mamoru.
"We are officially enlisted as an auxiliary team. That means that we are assigned to another team and not yet allowed to operate fully on our own."
There was more to it and she was well aware of it. The reasons why the team wasn't a fully independent operating team was partially on her. But she opted to not introduce that information to Mamoru.
"Won't mean a lot other than that we work with another team from time to time. Though," she frowned slightly as she thought about the members of Team 8. "Most of them are kind of distant."

How can anyone even buy these things? I mean, some of them are fine but some are …, he though when a particularly persistent seller almost showed his wares into his hands."No sir, thank you! I have no coin to spare! was his reply for about the fifth time, and the sellers kind face changed into an angry one. Throwing curses as he left, Mamoru shook his head. Some people … , however his train of thoughts was stopped by another note from Meilin-Sensei, one that made him a bit unsettled. They are a support team for a team that is said to be hard to support. He thought a bit before replying to this piece of information.

"I have zero issues with being an auxiliary team, Meilin-Sama. In fact, it makes me feel needed in a special way. The success of other persons is on us, and I know nothing that makes me more happy than to help someone achieve their goals. But … but … how does one support something … distant? How can we help when they … is it that they don't want our help, Meilin-Sama? How do we help them in such a case?"

When Mamoru spoke back, Meilin made sure to double their pace and effort to get out of the way. She cursed herself for lowering her guard for a moment.
"Don't react to them. Right now, speaking Taika is as throwing fuel on fire." She mumbled, audible for Mamoru.
Hearing his reaction regarding the distant treatment from some members of Team 8, Meilin had questioned that as well. Not out loud, at least.

"I am not entirely sure. It isn't as much as they don't want our help. They just, keep their distance. Then again, we aren't here to make friends with everybody." Meilin briefly thought to her operation in Keishi, with Team 7.
"We are nearly there. I think it is best if I order a few drinks and then we will settle down in the room where I am staying to have an introduction with the team." Meilin began, thinking a bit out loud so that Mamoru could follow her thoughts. "The only issue is that I will perhaps need to arrange a room for you. Sleeping on the room won't be that comfortable."

Mamoru felt so bad for speaking so much. He should have remembered that speaking Taika here is a bad idea. Dumb, dumb me! I hope I did not mess anything up before it even started!, he reprimanded himself. He was still bothered by the distance the other team kept. He believed that no true teamwork, even if it means between two different teams can be achieved unless both team want it that way. He had a hunch that working with Team 8, while it will be possible, might end up rather difficult. A baptism by fire, if I ever heard about one, he thought,

He then further listened to Meilin-sensei. He could use some refreshment after the long travel and he hoped the establishment they will be using has his favorite green mint tea. He also gulped about being introduced to the team. As for sleep, he did not need much - he could do with a small blanket and a pillow, and a place to store his gear. A good thing I bought more coins that I originally wanted, he thought to himself. In order to speak as little as possible, his response was a rather short one, and spoken as quiet as he could for Meilin-sensei to hear." I apologize and understand, Meilin-Sama."

She wanted to respond that it was okay. But instead, she would just nod in return. The distance towards the inn was finally closed in. Opening the door for Mamoru, Meilin would close it behind her. They were greeted by a nice warmth, originating from the various hearths inside the establishment. Speaking with the innkeeper, Meilin would make the order for their supper to be in the room where she stayed.
Following that, she would register a room for Mamoru - a room that wouldn't be too far from hers and the others.

Once she was done, Meilin would gesture Mamoru to follow her. If the others hadn't decided to go off on their own, then they would likely be in one or split over the two rooms that they had prior.
"Well, let see if the others are still awake." Meilin half-joked as she would approach the door. Opening it, she would gesture Mamoru to enter.

The remainder of the distance to the inn has gone by in complete silence. Mamoru observed the streets as they walked, trying to remember the path towards the inn. When they arrived in it, he nodded at Meilin-Sensei for opening the door for him, then entered the inn. The warmth made him feel so much better than the cold streets, and he run his hands through his hair. Meilin-Sensei would then talk with the innkeeper, something Mamoru did not understand at all due to most of it being done in Cho. I have to learn this from Meilin-Sensei as soon as I can!, he thought to himself.

Mamoru then followed his Sensei as they made their way through the inn. He had to admit, it was looking very cozy and welcoming, a perfect place to retreat from the biting cold outside. Upon reaching a door that, upon Meilin-Sensei's remark was where the team was staying right now, he let out a chuckle at her remark. he then took a deep breath, smiled at Meilin-Sensei."Here goes nothing.", he smiled at her again and entered the room.

The Battle of Hitashi - Part 3
| Lightning Country | Near the town of Hitashi, Hojo clan lands | The Sixth Army, under the command of Toki Tameuji, serving the Regency Council |

The last few skirmishes had a mix of effect on Tameuji's forces. They had encountered some resistance but these were too small to make a drastic impact. The tenacity of the resistance that Tameuji's army encountered was worrying though. Not to mention that he and some officers began to wonder where the main force was located. The suicidal attacks and operations of the Hojo forces made it clear that they were far from worried to die in battle. It seemes almost like they welcomed it with a fiery passion.
But the majority of Tameuji's force was in good spirit. They were able to vanquish what they considered 'desperate' attempts to halt their march. Rumours were spreading among the soldiers that the Hojo were too afraid to meet them in a pitch-battle.

But these rumours would soon cease to exist. Half a team of shinobi would return with news. Though the state that they returned in said enough as they were heavily wounded.
Wasting no time, Tameuji requested them to brief him in. According to the three wounded shinobi, the Hojo had assembled a force not far from the current position of Tameuji and his army. When questioned where the other shinobi were, the report was grim: the Hojo had effectively countered the subterfuge attempts and killed some. The others that weren't killed had been overwhelmed by the Hojo forces and taken prisoner. For some unknown reason, however, they had decided to release a few shinobi.

Suspicious of the shinobi, Tameuji ordered them to be watched and detained. Suspecting it to be a trap, his army would slowly advance over the next few days. Until scouts came back with a report that they indeed had spotted a large Hojo camp. Entrenched and positioned on a tall hill, Tameuji knew that he couldn't launch an offensive - for that would mean many losses among his ranks.
Tameuji decide to consider his options. According to his scouts, the Hojo force couldn't be more than twelve thousand troops. Despite that they outnumbered the Hojo, Tameuji wasn't feeling confident enough to face such opposition. If anything, the last few skirmishes had shown that the Hojo were willing to fight to the last breath. Something he couldn't say about his own troops.
What furthermore made it a tough situation was that a river blocked their path towards the city of Hitashi. The foraging and scouting parties reported on their return that the villages had been evacuated and almost all bridges being burned down. All bridges but one, a bridge that was around a few miles away from both Tameuji's army and that of the Hojo.

Worried but not yet feeling defeated, Tameuji considered that paths that he could take. He was about to decide to fall back to a more favourable position. Until he heard that another scout party had returned with good news. There was a way to avoid a direct confrontation with the Hojo army nearby.

In the dark of the night, Tameuji's host would move as silent as they could through the field. Sentries had been posted to guard their movement against sudden Hojo attacks as the bulk of the force would advance towards the bridge that was apparently defended by a small unit.
As an owl descending on its prey, Tameuji's troops quickly moved in once they were in proximity of the bridge. The few defenders wouldn't run but attempt to hold their position. An impossible task as Tameuji's forces conquered the bridge within mere minutes.

Spirited by this development, Tameuji began ordering to relocate his troops. By next noon, he wanted his forces to be on the side of the river. Then he could cut the Hojo army off from any supplies and force them to assault him unless they would allow him to attack the city of Hitashi with impunity.

The rising sun would create a most beautiful spectacle. The morning fog hang lightly and created a mysterious but soothing scenery. Together with the blanket of snow, Tameuji desired that he was able to paint it on a canvas. Turning his gaze to his troops, he saw the detachments moving over the bridge and attempt to secure it. A smile touched his lips as he felt good about the fact they had managed to do so well. Hopefully, the Regency council would be ready to reward him for his success.

Turning his mount, Tameuji wanted to inspect the forces that had been setting up a small camp on the other side of the river. But before he was able to, Tameuji could hear drums in the distance. Turning his head around, he frowned. Only to realise what that sound implied.
With haste, Tameuij's forces would get ready for the impending attack.

He watched from the tall hill as the Regency forces would move into battle formations. The sound of the drums would seem to spread, heralding the impending attack of the Hojo force.
"See how arrogance can lead to downfall. See how they were greedy. Instead of finding success, they will only find death and dishonour." Uyeda Miyara, the Blade of Miyara, said, his grim expression hidden behind the mask of his kabuto.

The mastermind behind the strategy of luring in the Regency force, allowing them to grow confident and eager to obtain victory after victory, watched patiently as Tameuij´s forces clashed with the Hojo force. With each minute, the Regency forces were attempting to hold their position and the bridge against more Hojo forces - that had come from their previous camp to try to stop their enemy from crossing the river.

"Father, our force is ready." A masculine voice, yet less deep than Uyeda's own voice. "We await your command."

"Good. Today, my son," Uyeda said as he would turn around. "We will show this so-called army of the Regency what the art of war is."

Watching, Tameuij narrowed his eyes. The enemy was relentless! They fired volley after volley on his troops and their position while their footsoldiers advanced. The sound of battle was only disturbed by the obnoxious drums of the enemy.
But his troops managed to hold on, unleashing volleys of arrows back at the Hojo and holding their line strong against their infantry advances.

"Move the next reserve unit to the line! We shall hold this bridge! The Gods are with us!" Tameuij yelled from the top of his lungs as he gestured. On his command, another unit would move into the fray.
Though confident that he could outlast the Hojo offensive, Tameuji had a strange feeling in his stomach. The kind of feeling you tend to have when something bad is to happen despite all things going rather well.
The Hojo were perhaps relentless and ferocious, they were losing troops as Tameuij hadn't brought weaklings. His own troops were trained and knew how to handle the spear and bow.

"We will hold the bridge! Drive them away!" Tameuij shouted as troops around him joined in him his battlecry. As more troops were directed to the ongoing clash, Tameuij's eyes widened and his features paled.

Drums resonated through the air. But not only in front of him. But also from his back.

"Sha!"

The volley of arrows would soar through the air, only to land within the ranks of the regency forces. Men, mounts and transport animals alike would cry out in pain and agony. Officers hastily attempted to turn and form a defensive line as they weren't only attacked from the side that they had crossed but now had to face Hojo forces from the side that they had wanted to position themselves.
Trapped between two Hojo forces, Tameuij's forces had no place to retreat to.

"No mercy!"
The battle-cry of Naokage was joined by his troops. Readying his naginata, the young samurai charged into the fray, followed by his unit. The collision of men was followed quickly by bloodshed.
The charge drove the Regency forces back as the Hojo indeed showed no mercy. Even enemies that attempted to surrender were mowed down. Soon enough the river started to turn red by the blood that was shed on the bridge. Thus ending the Sixth Army of the Regency council, their campaign ending in a victory for the Hojo clan.

At the Crossroad
| Lightning Country - neutral ground between the Hojo and Raikage territory | Lord Hashimi Ryo (@conman2163 ) and Yoshimi of Yakukuwa ( @Oetje ) |

Summary:
Soon after the Hojo's victory at the Battle of Hitashi, they arrange a meeting with the Raikage's forces. This meeting is at a crossroad on what could be considered neutral ground. Two small delegations share an exchange here, in hope to land a pact with each other's factions in this civil strife.

The small group of riders wouldn't have the same pace as that they had the last few days. A more cautious approach was taken as they were nearing their destination. The place would be in what one could consider neutral ground. Neither occupied by either the Regency or that of the Raikage. A rare finding these days, with the civil strife full ongoing.

Leading the way, the man in charge of the small group was no other than Yoshimi of Yakukawa. One of the prominent men that the Lord of the Hojo clan trusted the most. Which would explain the rather large size of the unit of guards, that accompanied Yoshimi. Approaching their destination, it was a flat field. There were the hills at their right and woodland to their left. The crossroad that they stopped at was a rather infamous one regarding the myth that once a samurai had commited suicide, in order to preserve his honour. Today, it would be the site where perhaps the Hojo would find an ally in the Raikage forces or not.

Another detachment of riders approached the crossroads, mounted and armed for war, some with noble banners ruffling in the wind behind them. The group stopped shortly, and with sheathed weapons, road up, the most prominent banner being that of Lord Ryo, the commander of the second division of the Raikage's army. He was currently Gedric's second in command, given the unfortunate death of his senior, Lord Kazuyuki. He raised his hand to halt his cavalry once the column was within easy speaking range. "Greetings Hojo, I hope your ride was easy." The man offered, prepared to exchange polite pleasantries.

The retinue of Yoshimi remained still, watching the approaching group. sitting on top of his mount, Yoshimi would be at the tip of his group. Patiently, the man awaited for the other group to close the distance. The leader of the group greeted first, on which Yoshimi slowly nodded.
"It has been, yes. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Yoshimi of Yakukuwa. The chosen emissary of Lord Hojo. I do believe we can dispense with most pleasantries and formalities." The man replied, his tone polite while his phrasing could be perceived a bit harsh or blunt.

"Well met, Master Yoshimi, I am Lord Hashimi Ryo of the Ryo clan, emissary of the Raikage. Since you seem to wish to make haste, then I will not waste time. The Lord Commander has received a message that you wish to speak on the matter of cooperation." Hashimi's tone was brisk, but polite. "I am here with full authority to enter into diplomacy with your clan, please, speak of your intentions for this meeting."

"Good." Yoshimi mumbled, shooting a glance at the rider to his left. Only to return his attention back at Ryo.
"My Lord indeed seems to be of the belief that the Raikage is contesting the Regency council. And thus could make for a decent ally in this ongoing conflict." The man introduced a short pause. "My Lord requires to know some matters first though. It would not be a wise move to forge an alliance without some knowledge on how your fight goes. Not to forget, what your Lord is willing to pay for our steel."
"It would seem that we might be potential allies yes, but I would not have you be the only one asking for information. If you wish for of the Raikage, then you must be willing to be equally open on matters you ask of. It is only smart." Hashimi waved off the topic. "I will not deny that the Regency forces surprised us in the field. No doubt your clan has already heard the news. We have lost men, but is nothing we cannot recover from. I would have you tell us what you would wish for your steel."

The emissary of the Hojo simply frowned as the representative of the Raikage spoke. He remained politely quiet, waiting for the other to be done.
"Nothing you can't recover from?" There was a clear tone in the man's voice, that hinted that he was quite amused by how Ryo phrased the loss that the Raikage's forces had suffered.
"My Lord will offer some steel and capable men to bear it. In return, we will end this petty civil war. After the civil war, the Hojo clan is to pay less taxes. A quarter less than what we were obliged to pay before the Regency took over. For a whole decade, the Hojo will enjoy the privileges to remain free from the Raikage's military. If your Lord Raikage wishes to enlist Hojo steel or competent men, he has to request and pay for it. The steel he hires will be double the price than is paid for a regular." Would be the response of Yoshimi.
"There is also the demand that no Hojo will be assigned underneath the command of either an Alaricus or Sanosuke. That is something that can't be negotiated over."

The man's hands drummed at the saddle, considering the offer, disregarding the obvious amusement of the emissary. It was, to be fair, not a surprise that they would push back from being involved with the Raikage. The man nodded. "If you wish to pay less taxes, I am certain his Majesty Ranzaki will be happy to oblige you once his rule is properly restored to the land, after all, directly assisting him, unlike the Sanosuke or Alaricus, merits rewards. Additionally, for your assistance we would be happy to free you from the service of the Raikage's military for ten years, and we will pay for any assistance the Hojo delivers to us during that period, with none of the Hojo troops serving under an officer from the Alaricus or Sanosuke." He held up his hand. "However, we will only pay you one and a half times the price than regular during the period. I am confident that the Hojo men are capable warriors, however an exemption from a quarter of the taxes you regularly pay and the privilege of being free from the usual mandatory provision of troops to the Raikage will mean an already large benefit. One and a half times the regular pay is more than reasonable, given those demands."

A polite smile crept on Yoshimi's face. He seemed to weigh in the counter-offer of the Raikage's emissary.
"It is funny that you bring up his Majesty Ranzaki. Cause right now, the country is about to split into multiple parts. There are two Ranzaki heirs, after all. Whether the oldest son did or didn't murder his father doesn't seem to matter much right now. Blood is flowing already." The Hojo emissary calmly replied, his frown once more returning on his brow.
"What I am curious about is, are you speaking about the sickly younger Ranzaki that is under the control of the Regency or the one that is missing? It wouldn't do much good to sacrifice good Hojo flesh and steel. Certainly not going by your words. That you will recover from the blow that you suffered from the Regency Council. So, if anything, my lord and clan are taking a huge gamble."

Yoshimi slowly leaned forward in his saddle, his voice becoming sterner.
"Double the price or there can't be no alliance between the Raikage's forces and that of the Hojo."

The Lord seemed to find a piece of dirt on his armor, and he picked the speck off, examining it before flicking it away. "Certainly the honorable Lord of the Hojo did not send an emissary without realizing just what it is the Raikage is fighting for, did they? Lord Ranzaki the younger is clearly not the heir to the throne, his Majesty Keitaro Ranzaki is the true heir, this is the point that divided the country in the first place." The eyes of the Raikage's representative flashed dangerously. "That offer was the final one that I am willing to make, and it is quite reasonable. Did you come here to barter, or not?"

"Lord Hojo is already fighting. And may I add, winning." Would be the immediate response to Lord Ryo. Yoshimi didn't seem either troubled or nervous by the implication that was given.
"I came here to forge an alliance. The thing is that it is clear that your Raikage needs one. You lost men and steel with your clash. We on the other hand crushed the attack send by the Regency. I am not that sorry to say that you don't find yourselves in a position to barter much about, Lord Ryo."
A smile would dawn on Yoshimi's lips as he took a second before continuing.
"Because I am with manners, I will allow you to consider this offer one final time. Else, I will ride back to my Lord and report what transpired."

"There is no need, Master Yoshimi, as I have told you already, your offer has been considered and rejected. If you are not willing to consider the counter offer I gave you, then the Raikage is quite willing to continue the fight alone." He looked bored with the conversation. "You say that the Raikage needs an alliance? Perhaps, but there are two other great clans that we might approach for such a thing. I will allow you to consider my own offer one final time, else this deal is done."

Inhaling, the Hojo emissary would straighten his back. Slowly nodding, he would tighten his grip on the reins of his horse.
"Very well. I wish you and your Lord all the luck in this war and those that follow. Perhaps the barbarians to the north or the slavers to the south will be willing to bleed for less, Lord Ryo."
Having said those words, Yoshimi would steer his mount and whistle. Instructing his guards to do the same.

"The same to you Hojo." Lord Ryo replied, and then turned his own mount, riding away with his men.

Reactions: Nim
The Appointment of the Raikage's Assistent
Kumogakure, the Lightning Country | The Raikage's Office | A collab between @conman2163 and @Lesli |

Summary:
The Sixth Raikage, that is to be known by the name of Itagaki, has a meeting with a woman that goes by name of Iri. The two discuss some matters of state as the Sixth Raikage wants to offer her the position of Raikage Assistent.

Itagaki sat at the desk and looked down at the reports in his hands. Things were not going as well as he had hoped. The first army was left under a relatively inexperienced and proud supreme commander, they had failed to negotiate an alliance with the Hojo due to the same man's pride, he had lost contact with the diplomat he had sent north to the Sanosuke. To top it off, he was now in the process of taking care of his previous identity. Making Gedric Hon vanish was no small feat after all.

He stretched in his chair for a moment, keeping the mask in place. The Anbu in his office ever present and vigilant, watching for any signs of danger to the Sixth Raikage. He yawned, and wondered how it was a boy from the land of the Hon had ended up the Sixth Raikage of the Lightning. He turned around to face the list on his desk. The short break he had been afforded was up, it was now time for his next appointment of the day, and arguably the most important one. Gedric adjusted the masked and sat down in the chair at his desk, folding his hands and leaning forward to rest them on the hard surface.

Approaching the spacious office that was reserved for the Raikage, Iri was rather mixed. The recent events were certainly not in the favour of those who were on the side of the Raikage, opposing the Regency Council. Yet, rumours aside, there was also the personal opinion that Iri had over the position of Raikage.
Spotting the guards that guarded the double doors that led to the room where she was summoned to, Iri would wait. Without a doubt, the person inside would be alerted that she had arrived. Only now, she had to wait to be allowed inside and then she would learn why she had been summoned. Slowly as softly, Iri inhaled as she slightly raised her chin.

Three knocks on the door sounded, signalling to the guards indoors to be prepared, as the next appointment had indeed arrived. The door was opened, and Iri was allowed to step inside. The office was rather bare, having been stripped of all personal effects of the Fifth Raikage. All that remained inside were the desk, a candle, a quill and inkpot, and three chairs, one of which Gedric was sitting at. Papers were stacked neatly off to the side of his desk. Gedric motioned to the chair. "Please, come in and take a seat."

Entering the office, Iri did allow herself to glance around. Despite the prestige and value of the rank of Raikage, she had to admit that she had expected more than what she encountered in the office.
Turning her attention on the Raikage, Iri would walk towards the chair that the masked man had gestured towards. Taking a seat, she would bow her head as a respectful gesture. Folding her hands on her lap while crossing her legs, the woman remained silent, awaiting for what purpose she had been called.

"I must admit, you are a very hard woman to find anything about Iri." Gedric leaned back and rested his folded hands in his lap. "I have had my intelligence division working to dig up details on your past. Not much has surfaced. Impressive all things considered." He picked up a thin packet of papers and slid them over to Iri. Inside was all of the data that had been dug up on her. "Several times the Third Raikage attempted to have you killed. Again, impressive, but you served with distinction underneath Lord Fifth as a member of the Storm Guard, and that specifically is what I wanted to talk to you about today." He paused for a moment and picked up a sealed letter that was lying flat on the desk closer to Gedric. He placed this in front of Iri. "Inside that letter are the details of your assignment as my assistant."

Listening to what the Raikage began with, Iri felt slighly amused. She was aware of the 'feat' but back then it certainly hadn't been a source of pride or amusement. Quite the opposite as ANBU could be quite persistent when they were send to end a life. Leaning slightly forward when a letter was placed in front of her, she frowned. Yet, Iri didn't make any motion to reach for the envelope.
"As your assistant?" She repeated, her right eyebrow slightly perking up. "Quite the irony seeing my past." The voice of the woman was laced with a certain confidence, as well having a sliver of amusement that she didn't hide.

Taking the envelope from the desk, she didn't yet open it. Turning her attention back at the masked man, she would raise the envelope as she spoke up. "You want me to make your assistant? Before I accept this position, I would like to know a few things first. Cause the way I see it, it isn't a position of prestige alone anymore. Not with the civil strife that is ongoing." She calmly stated. "If I were to accept, how much freedom would I be granted on executing tasks? Not to mention, what tasks? I hope you don't, after all, expect me to take up your administration."

The mask would remain unmoving and emotionless as Iri looked to him for answers to her questions. Kaizen had asked him why he had taken up the mask despite the trouble it had caused his predecessors, this was the reason. "It is perhaps ironic that you would be appointed my assistant indeed, but as I said, Lord Fifth let you into the storm guard, and I will not doubt his judgement." Kaizen indicated the envelope in her hands. "You will find in there the list of specific duties I would expect you to assist with. By and large, I will grant you as much freedom as you would like to prosecute your tasks. So long as you remain trustworthy, I will have no reason to oversee your efforts. Mainly I would expect you to assist with diplomatic relations with the clans and the southerners. As of late we have suffered in negotiations with both."

Hearing the answer, Iri would drop the amusement that rang faintly through her voice before. "So, I am to clean up some mess." She bluntly stated. Visibly pondering on the possibility, she would slowly nod a few seconds afterwards. "Very well. But I will need some clarification first. What happened at the previous negotiations? And do you mean the Imperials or the Frost country when speaking of the southerners?" The woman inquired, growing curious.

"It is a mess indeed, one that I inherited from my predecessor." The Sixth slipped two more papers out of the stacks and put them in front of the Iri. "The Imperials fleeced us to keep them out of the war. They will be sending two brigades of troops, and will expect to be paid in material and coin to build thirty ships, massive in size. We could not afford to have them enter the war on the side of the Regency, so the delegation relented when they threatened to do so." He indicated the second report. "The Hojo met with us and negotiated for a few things, mostly a relent from a fourth of taxes, contributions of men for a some years, and the payment of twice the amount of coin per usual should their men be required. The delegate that was sent to meet them declined." He returned to his previous position. "And finally, the Fifth Raikage sent a delegation to the North shortly before he died, there has been no word back, though the ship was supposed to have returned by now."

The amusement of before really had cooled down, more frozen as Iri would be briefed in about the situation. A fleet of thirty war vessels? She wasn't that much of a maritime expert but that certainly didn't sound cheap. Once more, the eyebrows of the woman slightly perked up.
"Depending on where you send that ship, it is either not coming back or you will likely find half a crew." The woman calmly stated. The fact that the Hojo had approached them but a deal hadn't been landed was also quite worrying. But nothing too impossible, if she could rely on some matters.

"The aid of the Imperials should be perhaps a good asset, though. A good motivation for some clans and parties to side quicker on your side." Iri continued, not making any distinction between if had been his or the previous Raikage doing. "I am sure that we can muster some material for ships."

"Mmm. I do not expect the delegate to return alive or in one piece. I've already sent my condolences to their clan. I do not expect them to be pleased." He picked up a financial report sourced from when the realm was still in one piece. "Even if we were to send them thirty ships, the Imperials would not accept them at our current moment. They are asking for an amount of coin to build the ships that would bankrupt us even before this civil war started."

"That sucks for them." Iri bluntly stated, shrugging lightly as the Raikage mentioned the clan already be told of the grim possibility. Upon hearing that the Imperials also wanted coins, Iri remained silent for two seconds. "So, what is the plan? I am certain that you gave it, at least, some thought? Cause no matter who is 'guilty' of letting this treaty happen. You will bear the consequence as acting Raikage."

"For now? We will placate the Imperials and give them what they want, meanwhile we will win this war and put the true heir to the throne in power. Once we have the realm united once more, we will renegotiate the terms of the agreement." He cocked his head to the side. "As I said though, we could not afford to let the Imperials into this war, so it will serve it's purpose in time."

"I doubt that will go well. If you want me to enter diplomatic talks with the likes of the Great Clans, I can be of service. However, to try to open up a sealed deal with a sovereign realm? One that will likely be standing stronger than us, at this rate, I doubt you will gain much." Iri replied on turn. "And though it might seem as a future problem, it will be best if we discuss our options as soon as possible. So, they demand materials for ships? Why not else deconstruct some existing ships to save on costs?"

"Perhaps. I am already looking into the matter as we speak. We can have a more formal discussion in the near future about the possibilities. Either way, we will need to pay the empire for their first ten ships while this war is going on, and I'd need a fleet I could afford to disassemble before we could pursue your suggested option." He smiled underneath the mask. The woman was a good choice for the position, if this conversation was anything to go by. "Do you have any more questions regarding your new position or duties?"

She had peace with that. The idea to start to open up an already sealed treaty with their southern neighbour didn't seem like a solid idea. Not unless they had something of weight to pull the Imperials to the table. Considering that he needed a fleet, Iri had an idea where she could get one. "I will try to reach out to the Jun. I have yet to get any confirmation for who they sided with in this conflict. If possible, once they are on the right side, you could disassemble ten ships." The question that the Raikage posed to her made Iri subtly shake her head.
"None at the moment. I will be working on to see what I can do to patch up the diplomatic mess. Hopefully, I can salvage a few alliances from it or make it harder for the Regency council to gain more troops and resources from most clans."

The Raikage nodded in a simple reply. Her breakdown was quite efficient of their current situation after all. "Very well, then I will simply run down a few other things that goes with the position." He slid a final piece of paper over to her. "There is a place of living close to this office, and a wage to be had for your work. Additionally you will have an office set aside with you, it may be furnished at your leisure, just give a list of items to the servants and they will bring in what you request. Though I do believe there is already the items required to begin you work if I am not mistaken." Gedric returned his hands to their folded position. "For now, that will be all."

Hail to the Amekage
Amegakure, capital of the Rain province | Amekage office | Etsu Yabut, the Fifth Amegake |

It was over.

The violence, the fear, the fires and all of the distress was briefly gone. Replaced with tranquillity brought by local and Imperial troops that patrolled the streets. Enforced by teams of shinobi that searched high and low for any traces of the insurgents, zealots and thugs that had run rampant.

Standing at the window, Etsu looked at the view of Amegakure. It was hard to imagine now that the city was back at peace. For a moment, there seemed to be no problems. However, there were enough to deal with.
The last few days had been quite busy for her. For while Mitsunari had venture to Vindex to attend to this Taika clan meeting, she had been managing business in his stead. Appointed by Mitsunari to overview the city and its safety, she would soon be surprised by some news.
With the death of the Amekage, there was a need for a new one. There were already people that demanded the likes of Eiji Emiya to be chosen as their provincial leader. But an Imperial courier had arrived under the protection of Sworn Swords. Which already betrayed that it was no ordinary delivery.

Apparently, she was to be chosen as the next Amekage. Her deeds to quell the fires and violence had reached the capital - with help from Mitsunari, she suspected. Though a ceremony would usually be held with the Empress present, it was clear that quick action was required.

Her first acts as Amekage were not perhaps not the most popular. She quickly enforced peace through the use of local and Imperial troops. Going even as far as sending various diplomatic envoys to the Tanji and Yanagi clans with information, wealth and resources.
After all, she thought to herself, it would be easier to manage her affairs without some people growing despite the troublesome state of the Rain province.

It was time that a new wind would move through the city and eventually, through the entire province.

►Tomiko Hyuuga◄
►Team: Team 9 Genin
►Location: Yakimara Heartlands || Fort Thing

Tomiko tried to avoid letting her own emotions cloud her thoughts when it came to missions or working with a team, it always would just end up badly if somebody asked her opinion. Yet with that mentality in mind, she still really hated the Hon leading the group right now. First he refused to tell them what they were doing, which was a bit understandable, but yet he seemed to be likely to get angry the moment any of them asked. Then he lead them on this stupid trudge, made them dump half their rations, only to get back on the damn road? Tomiko could not really comprehend the why of everything he had made them do in order to get to their destination. Even more so, the journey through the countryside was a tad bit more difficult for the small girl than the taller members of her team. She tried to keep a neutral expression as they arrived, but was certain that Kyoi would be able to tell that she was absolutely fuming at the moment. Yet she knew she couldn't say a damn thing, as he was still their team leader and likely had some meaning behind all this.

The nights pulling watch with Hiron weren't terribly high on her enjoyment list either. Third watch itself wasn't that bad, but Tomiko felt a bit paranoid to do anything except sit quietly and watch when Hiron was on watch as well. The hyuuga halfway expecting that if she had dared to do anything otherwise, or dare to attempt to speak to him, he would break her legs then make her walk back. That seemed about right for that man, and something the hyuuga quite preferred not to experience. As she did watch, however, the girl's mind was thinking instead some of the past missions she had been on, and how she hadn't been the most useful in most of those cases. The silence of the night was something that allowed her to think at least, something she was glad Hiron wouldn't be able to know and punish her for doing.

As they walked past the strangers giving her distasteful looks, which wasn't entirely something that the girl was unused to. Sadly, her eyes seemed to gather a decent amount of strange looks from everybody all around her. Then her previous exile earning her looks from her own clan, the genin was more or less used to people giving her strange looks. Instead deciding to focus simply on whatever was ahead of her. For now, that was Hiron's orders and sticking close to Shikaroku, the last part being something the girl didn't really mind. So far the boy hadn't really been rude to her or shown any distaste, something she appreciated really. Soon enough they were shown to a tent and Hiron gestured that the group should go inside. Tomiko gave a simple nod by way of a response as she entered the tent and found a suitable corner to go sit in. Dropping her gear, Tomiko sat down and began inspecting her gear once more while muttering softly to herself. A way to decompress after the journey to... wherever the hell they were.

• Sweet
Reactions: Gerontis
Operation: Dark Symptom - Part 2 of 4
Nishi Hirashima, jounin and leader of Team 11 (Republican) | The Republic of Water, at the eastern fringes - image of location |

| The Council decided to send Nishi to lead a team composed out of selected operatives for a dangerous mission. Ranked as an A mission, there are many questions that Nishi and the accompanied operatives have. Questions that, hopefully, will be answered soon. |

Part 1

"It is most terrible, terrible I say."

The governor went on and about the situation. The man clearly hadn't ever set afoot on a field of battle or endured a real siege, watching people starve and hope fade away with each passing day.
Still polite, Nishi listened as the man continued on while they were in a hall of his estate within the city.
Both Yamada and Koide were at the background. The large man, Yamada, leaning against a beam while the shorter woman, Koide, had her hands behind her back and just stared at the governor and Nishi's back.

"I can promise you, that the site is completely sealed off. Loyal men are holding the blockade and nothing will pass in or out. Proper lads, I promise you." The governor continued, slowly eroding Nish's patience.
Nishi lowered her gaze to the map that was placed on the table. It was of the island and detailed how the blockade was set up. She genuinely hoped that it were the professional troops that were being used. Despite all, the Republic still had loyal and competent forces. Even if they were outnumbered by their rivals and neighbours alike.

The blockade was set up that nobody could enter the village without being noticed. The terrain was mostly plain and thus it would be hard to be smuggled in or out. Perhaps there was a way out, however.
"Is the blockade only set on land?" Nishi calmly asked, still having her gaze resting on the map.

The governor was rather quick to respond.
"Oh no, that would be a disaster. Then anybody could move in or out by the sea. Two vessels are guarding the entrance to the village's small harbour. I have received some report on that the locals tried to move out. But they got threatened back. A few did try to stubbornly advance but they got sent to the bottom of the sea, I fear. What a waste."

A waste of good ammunition, Nishi thought to herself. But that was good. If the governor was telling the truth, these weren't half-hearted militia forces. Those would be more keen on just threatening and pushing any locals back. Perhaps there was a captain in charge that could help her with answering some questions.
"I want to keep a reserve unit at the ready to reinforce the blockade. I will move into the site with my team to launch an investigation. In the meanwhile, I want you to utilize your resources to keep the peace and order in the city. Not to mention," Nishi turned her gaze back at the plump man in front of her, "any sign of potential infection within the city needs to be dealt with. I also want a log prepared on who entered the island or wants to leave it. By the sanction of the Council and Senate, I hereby blockade anybody from entering or exiting the island."

"They won't be happy with that," Yamada grumbled, yet audible enough for his companions.
Nishi wouldn't react as she strode forwards with a brisk pace.
"And who is they? The Council approved of giving this freedom to allow us to make certain decisions." Koide reacted, however. Her right eyebrow perked up, highlighting her curiosity on whom Yamada was talking about.
"The nobles. And the merchants. And anybody that wants to leave this godforsaken island," Yamada replied. "Do you think that a blockade will help the situation, ma'am?"

Nishi would throw a look over her shoulder at the taller man.
"No. I just hope that we won't be disturbed by any prick that claims he is nobler than the ground I spit on."

Arriving at the point where they would meet up with Enya and Arai, there was no sign of the other half of the team. Commoners did stay far away from the three shinobi, whom all were geared up in their flack jacket and coventential gear.
Just before Yamada was about to grumble something, the group would hear a loud whistle piercing through the air.
Turning around, the three shinobi were met with the sight of Arai and Enya walking towards them. The specks of blood were visible on both that of Enya as Arai's gear, yet none of the men seemed hurt.

"You know, I like this city. It can be quite a site of pleasure and entertainment. So, what is next?"

"We spoke with some of the boys. They were relatively easy to find if you know where to look." Enya calmly said. "Nobody has been or seen anybody from the village though. Seems that the blockade actually held up."

"Or, so far we know, at least." Aria chimed in, not hiding his doubt. "We did learn of some smuggling activities though. Might be worth to investigate later, ma'am."

"Perhaps. We will focus on the goal though." Nishi replied as the group was situated outside of the city. Nishi figured it would be better to be debriefed by Enya and Arai where not many could eavesdrop on them.
"Right now we will continue with the plan. We will move on towards the site. Speak with the captain of the troops that hold the blockade. Perhaps they either have seen or noticed something interesting. If that is the case, we will either investigate or continue moving in on the village." Nishi paused briefly, glancing at each person that was present. However, she realised that she wasn't working with genin. They were all paying attention and understood that they weren't sent on a simple errand - the gravity of the situation seemed heavier with the fact that the Council was behind sending them, after all.
"Once we are in the village we will act on the protocol. Enya will scout and survey the area for anybody that might be alive. If there are any survivors, we will try to see what we can salvage in terms of information. Koide and Aria can investigate matters with their medical expertise. Yamada can provide support with his barrier techniques. Any questions?"

All she would get was a 'no' in unison from those who were present.
"Then we are good to go."

Reactions: FrostedCaramel
Unleashing the Beast
Empire of Akino, within the Royal Palace | Konohagakure | A meeting between Empress Kiyomi Homura (@Aliceee) and Sigudr Agnarr, Major General of the Second Imperial Division (@Oblivion666) |

Summary:
Kiyomi has requested the presence of Sigudr Agnarr, the current major general of the Second Division. Once Sigurd arrives at the royal palace within Konohagakure, the two have a meeting in the council hall. Kiyomi presents a task for Sigurd and his men, which is to arrest and capture the Red Swords. A mercenary group that has ties to the Lightning country and have several establishments within the Empire. Already, Kiyomi has set out shinobi operatives to keep an eye out on these mercenaries and their associates. But now she makes the next move.

Staring at the table, Kiyomi slowly inhaled and exhaled. Her arms and shoulders ached, the result of her practice and training. Yet, when the news had arrived that her desired guest had arrived, Kiyomi had not hesitated one moment to get properly dressed for the meeting.
Once more in the council room, the painted table was organised in a different manner. Figures that used to resemble forces were placed in a perhaps weird place. Where cities were located now stood pions that resembled Imperial troops.

One of the Sworn Swords would open the door to allow Katashi to enter.
"Your Majesty," he said, bowing his head. Kiyomi threw a halfway glance and nodded as subtly gestured to the leader of the Sworn Swords. At this gesture, Katashi would take a place at Kiyomi's left.

Heavy footsteps resonated through the halls as Sigurdr was being lead to the room where he was requested by her Majesty for an important matter. To say he wasn't pondering what it could be would be lying, as no one else was going to be there from what he knew. A hearty grin grew as he wondered if he would get to give his axe a good swing at someone under her orders.

Arriving outside the door, one of the sworn swords opened the door for him to which he nodded and entered the room. Bowing towards Kiyomi first. " Your Majesty" he spoke to the young leader, as he saw that Katashi was also present here but that wasn't surprising.

Upon hearing the door open, Kiyomi turned to face it and see Sigudr enter. A warm smile crossed the young woman's lips as she nodded in return. "Major General, Sigurd. I am glad that you have arrived." Gesturing him to the large table, Kiyomi already seemed quite excited to get started. Only halfway to realise that formalities were still a thing.

"I hope that the journey was pleasant, general." She began, the smile turning into a grin. "And that you haven't smuggled in some Bloody Victory while entering the palace." A mischievous wink followed as she would gesture to the figures on the table.
"If you won't mind. I want to address the situation that I requested your presence for. I have a special task for you and some of your men. I take it that they are proper trained, mad lads?"

Moving towards the table as she gestured him too, he would look at the pieces placed on the table before his attention was snapped back to Kiyomi as she hoped his journey was pleasant. "Ahh it was nice indeed your Majesty, thank you." he started with giving a warm smile which turned into a chuckle at her hoping he didn't smuggle any Bloody Victory into the building.
"With the watchful eye of the Sworn Swords? That sounds like a challenge for another day." Sigurdr said chuckling once again before business was underway, the joking exterior changing to his more hardened look.

A task for him and his men hmm? " They could lose an arm and still be some of the most capable mad fighters they are known to be. How many of them would you need?"

"Half, at worst. Perhaps less, at best." Was Kiyomi's vague answer as she turned serious. Turning to the table, she pointed at the various locations and the figures that were used to present 'enemy' contacts.

"I take it that you have heard of the Red Swords? One of the few mercenary companies that still exist within my realm. In short? I want the majority arrested and a few killed. Preferably not officers or captains that can give me information. Their possessions?" Kiyomi threw a sideways look at Sigurd. "Half of them is to be returned to the crown. I will then use it for charity. Other half? Well, I suppose that the men of the Second would love a surprise gift or party. Your responsibility to share it among the madmen."

Turning to the table, she pointed at various cities within their borders. Most of the figures seemed to be in the centre and eastern half of the realm. "Currently, these are the positions of the Red Swords and where they established themselves. I have men of the First round up the other mercenary guilds that I consider a nuisance. Whereas I would be most tempted to turn to the men of the Third division, that won't be an option. Considering that the majority of the Third is on the campaign in the east." Pausing, Kiyomi leaned forwards with her hands on the table.
"I got various teams of Imperial shinobi awaiting the arrival and command of your officers. To help lure the Red Swords into traps. Make them believe that they are being hired or get some prostitutes on visit. Stuff to make them drop their guard. You name it and do what you like. As long as the goal gets done and no civilian gets hurt by Imperial steel."

Half at worse? Was this that big of a threat that half his men might be needed? The thought of such a danger honestly got him more excited and his men would probably be both offended but excited as well at hearing half of them might be required. So he couldn't help but have a grin on his face up until he heard the name Red Swords. Ahhh those guys huh? Well not going to require half that's for sure. Only real challenge might be telling his men not to kill them all.
Nodding along so far when it came to possessions, half was to be returned while the other half could go to his men. The men would probably complain their booze tasted like shit but they would still drink it. Yet he gave a nod to confirm he understood what was suppose to be done.

Looking at the figures of where they all seemed to be holed up, he could already think of some ways to take them down no trouble. Although having shinobi able to lure them and get them to drop their guard certainly made things less of a pain in the ass for them. " I can probably get most of them lured out. Mercenaries will do mostly anything for good coin. I assume no guards will give any hassle if a fight does break out, if given notice that my men an I are doing a job? "

"I bet they do," Kiyomi said, voicing her disdain clearly on mercenaries. "The guards will stay away. You are acting on my command. Every clan and person that is involved in the matter will stand down. Less they desire to be arrested and taken for questioning as well."

The young monarch inhaled slowly before sighing out loud. "I won't give you a deadline for this task, major general. But seeing that the Red Swords have contacts in the Lightning, I desire that they won't be given any chance to pull out with coins and resources that belong to the Empire. To the good men of the Second Division and her brigades."

Then that made everything incredibly easy, only tricky part would be making sure no civilian was caught in any cross fire but this should be easy enough to pull off. He could take care of this in less than a month for sure, maybe even two weeks. Yet he was more happy about the clans standing down as well, one city looked to be in the Tokugawa lands and he didn't want Agnarr's stopping them.

Hearing about the deadline made him nod and smile at her. "Oh trust me your Majesty. They will certainly not be leaving with what is yours. I can easily have men stationed around Frami to take out any Red Swords attempting to leave into the Lightning. The others will be brought to you… Well the more important ones anyway."

A grin crossed Kiyomi's face. "Very good. Make this done and I won't forget it, major general." She responded. "I am most curious to see how the men of the Second fight. I hear from my sources that they train twice as long and hard as any other man-at-arms. If it weren't for my loyal commander," Kiyomi subtly hinted towards Katashi, which had kept himself silent and just watching the meeting. "I would have enjoyed the prospect of seeing how well madmen go at a task like this."

Turning to Sigudr, Kiyomi would extend a her arm towards the major general. "Don't have too much fun out there, major general."

"I find that some good healthy competition between the men makes them strive to do better than the other. Keeps them in good shape, their reflexes sharp and they seem to enjoy out performing their peer. Which only gets them more willing to do better." he stated as she would start saying something only to subtly hint towards the ever careful protector of her Majesty, Katashi. He could see him wanting to make sure his men didn't go too mad. Honestly he could understand why, they get to into things and he might be paying for a lot of broken property.
"I will have to tell you some stories then of them when they aren't being held back then." Sigurdr said as he looked at the small arm her Majesty extended towards him, a grin grew on his face as he knew what the gesture meant. Extending his own arm and giving her wrist a strong grip he would give a more confident smile.
"I'll try to control myself. You have my word that this task will be done your Majesty."

Looking up to the tall man, Kiyomi grin widened as he grabbed her wrist, as tradition demanded it among warriors. Squeezing back, she nodded. "Good. I will be looking forward to hear about those stories. May Valdar guide you and keep your wit sharp."

A Rest Stop...?
The journey was challenging, but Shikaroku had found comfort in the silent travel and the fact that it did not allow his mind to wander too much. The nights were a different story however. The fact that they were not allowed fire meant they rested in darkness, the only light coming from the stars above. Normally this would not be a problem, but lately Shikaroku had grown a distrust for the shadows. What if… what if it came back…?

The nights had passed by uneventfully however, and Shikaroku awoke each morning relieved that the being had not made another appearance. He had been glad to be paired up with Kyoi for watch. The Hyuuga did not seem overly talkative, which had meant he could spend that time in silent thought. The only downside was that the two Hyuuga now on his team only served to remind him of Masami…

The betrothal had been a shock to him and when Shikaroku had first been told the news, the boy wanted nothing to do with it. Masami had been his friend and teammate. He respected her quite a bit but had never thought about her in a romantic fashion. His uncle and father had both assured him this was his duty and that both he and Masami would learn to love one another, in their own way. Their families had pushed them to spend more time together, time that Shikaroku had felt more than uncomfortable with at first. Over time, however, the two had grown rather close and now the Nara found himself confused. When Masami had been pulled away to the front, he was worried for her, and not just as a friend. The whole thing was just… troublesome.

Over the last few days of the journey, Shikaroku had begun to feel the pain growing in his shoulder. He had thought the wound to be fully healed, but the constant movement seemed to be irritating it more than was bearable. The cold wasn't helping either and several times the Nara considered taking one of his pills. It would numb the pain for sure, but he wasn't certain he could keep up pace with the rest of the team on the medication. And so, Shikaroku tried to fight through the pain. His entire body felt the wave of relief, however, when Hiron announced that they had arrived at their destination.

When Hiron told them where they were, the Nara's ears perked up and he felt a bit of warmth coming back to him. It had been some time since he had been back in the Yakimara heartlands and the thought of seeing old friends and family filled him with an excitement he hadn't felt since the trip had started. Hiron's comments, however, brought reality crashing back down. His team likely wouldn't be receiving the same welcome that he would. Not here anyways. Glancing back towards them, Shikaroku felt a hint of guilt. Some wounds had yet to heal and, while he held no hatred for the other clans, the same could not be said about all Yakimara.

Passing through the camp, he heard several of the soldiers muttering less than flattering words about the group of them. When Hiron stopped and began speaking to one of the groups in Shikaroku's native tongue, the Nara tilted his head in surprise. He had not realized Hiron could speak Yakimara and the man spoke it fairly well it would appear. That surprise lasted until Hiron dropped them off at their tent. It was then that Shikaroku realized the Jounin had just welcomed them to the army. Were they joining the front? His mind flashed briefly to Masami but Shikaroku quickly pushed the thought aside. He wasn't ready to fight in a war. Hell, he'd barely survived his last mission…

Watching Hiron as the man walked away, Shikaroku let out a soft sigh and pushed his way into the tent. Moving towards the back, he set down his pack and took out a few items, laying them out on the ground. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out his lighter, flicking it open for a moment and staring at the flame. He hadn't been able to use the thing during the whole trip and Shikaroku found slight comfort in the warmth of the small flame. Sighing again, he closed the lighter and stowed it back in his pocket.

Turning to face the others as they entered the tent, he raised one hand, scratching the back of his neck uncomfortably before speaking, his voice soft at first. "I… I apologize as many from my culture still hold a grudge against most of your clans." Shrugging apologetically, the Nara glanced around at them before continuing. "They may not be overly friendly, but Hiron-Sensei was correct. I can speak with them, so if you are approached, or if you need something, please let me know and I can translate."

Unknown territory, Yet again
Karma Minami
Chuunin from Konohagakure

Having been told to take the first watch with Yiko, Karma approached the genin and prepared to do just so. Their watch passed with silence, with Karma not letting even her breathing be heard, as she wanted to ensure that no reason would be given for Hiron to complain. The cold had slowly started to get to her, but she refused to complain. Time passed slowly, but eventually they passed the watch to Kyoi and Shikaroku, giving Karma a chance to catch a bit of a shut eye.

As morning arrived, they were woken up and given the order to dispose of half their rations. While she found the order to be peculiar, Karma raised no objections. Once they were told to take the same formation as before, Karma was quick to move to the back of the group, alongside Kyoi. They moved much faster than before, and on the rough terrain it wasn't simple. But at least she had some experience with moving on such terrain, something she wasn't sure if the genin had much of.

Several days passed, and Karma was feeling her muscles ache slightly. It was expected, from the rough travel, but she kept her speed and maintained the best posture she could, to make sure she won't hinder the group in any way. Upon hearing Hiron call out a new instruction, Karma felt a bit relieved. At least, until she heard where they had traveled to. The Yakimara heartlands. Just like when she traveled to the Blackroot Vale, she had little knowledge about the Yakimara clans or their lands. Back then, they were also told to be more careful, but it was her boldness and spoken mind that allowed her to travel further than half of her team.

But, it was clear that this was different. The closer they came to the fortified camp, the more worried Karma became. She really should've chased Madoc down for more lessons about the Yakimara, but being put in different teams caused that to be more difficult. Hiron's warning didn't make things any better. When Hiron mentioned they should remain close to Shikaroku, Karma glanced in the genin's direction. If anyone approached them, then Shikaroku needed to act as a translator. That wasn't a simple task, especially if one side already had a basis for being more hostile.

After being told they were blessed and welcomed to the 12th Brigade, Karma turned to look at the tent they were apparently going to share. So, they were effectively recruited to a war. That wasn't a pleasant thought one bit. Once they entered, Shikaroku was quick to apologize for the people of his culture, and informed all of them that they should approach him if anyone from the Yakimara comes to talk to them, so he could translate. Karma nodded to him "Thank you Shikaroku. It isn't the first time I've been in this kind of situation, so I appreciate it, even if it came in the form of an order." She told him, before moving to put down some of the heavier equipment she had been carrying. She did not bother to unpack anything yet, as there was still a chance they would be told to leave the tent, if things were indeed as Hiron and Shikaroku presented them to be.

A new rank and mission?
Empire of Akino | Amegakure, the provincial capital of the Rain province | A (relative short) meeting with the Etsu Yabut, the Fifth Amekage, (@Oetje) and Rini Yoto (@Aliceee)|

Summary:
Rini is summoned to the Amegakure's office. There, Etsu reveals the change that will befall on the team that now exists out of Megumi Omari, Kitana Rioijn and Rini Yoto. Together with a mission that sends the three to Entari.

Within the confines of her new office, Etsu didn't really feel the freedom that one would expect from being the Amekage of the Imperial province of the Rain. Surrounded by walls, glass and paper, Etsu didn't experience the idea that she had power. Only responsibility. More than ever and it was anything but giving a sense of freedom and power. It was difficult and cumbersome.

Reading a report, Etsu had made various decisions already this day. The 4th Division was responsible for guarding the border of the western provinces of the Empire. But it wasn't full strength, still recruiting and operating with a few battalions under full strength.
Then there was the situation that came with the northern clans in the rain province. The initial struggle to keep them independent from the Omari was beginning. But unlike the Omari, she had access to legal methods. As the governor of the province, she ruled it in the Empress name. Something that would weigh a lot, together with the continued aid to those clans.

Heading towards the Amekage office, Rini was feeling a mixture of emotions. Not just because of what had happened recently. But because it was the same story all over again. First, it had been with Ryoku Samidare, who had become the Third Amekage. Thus ending his mentorship over her. Then it was Itsuo that decided to return back to the ANBU corps. And now it was once more Etsu, who became the Fifth Amekage.
Being summoned to the complex made her wonder who would now become her mentor. If anything, Rini expected another disappointment and wondered briefly on why she would even need to care about who would attempt to mentor her, now that Etsu was the Amekage.

Closing on the guarded door, she would be allowed to pass and enter the office. A salute preceded Rini's greeting. "You summoned me, Lady Amekage?"

Upon Rini's entrance, Etsu would halt her current work. Flashing a smile towards the genin, she nodded in return.
"I did. Good of you to come so quickly. I hope that I didn't summon you at an inconvenient time?" The woman would pose a question.
Gesturing to a nearby chair, Etsu would lean slightly forward with her elbows leaning on the table.

Taking a seat, Rini shook her head. "No ma'am. You didn't." She politely answered. There were questions that she wanted to ask, of course. But it wasn't her place to question an Amekage. Subtly, Rini tried to glance at the office around her. According to what people said, the office would be a representation of those in power. But she couldn't find many personal touches on the room. Perhaps it took more time?

"Good. I do wish that I had more time to talk and spend time with you. But sadly, I seem to lack time in general." Etsu said, "As you and the others might expect. I won't be able to both fulfil my role as Amekage and the leader of the team. I am sorry that I haven't been able to mentor you or the others for a bit longer."

Pausing, Etsu weighed what she was going to say and explain to the girl.
"From what I understand, you got an extensive record. Serving underneath the personal command of the Third Amekage? Working and being mentored underneath an ANBU? Participating in the Ironblood Tournament. Even doing some rather clever moves during and before that. And I can attest that you're far more than a simple genin."
A soft smile dawned on Etsu as she would turn to the right and seem to grab something.
"I believe it is past time and perhaps it isn't as grand as a ceremony with the Empress, I do believe that you have earned it."
Placing a flak jacket, in Rini's size, on the table - a gentle and careful fashion to not disturb her paperwork.
"Congratulations, Rini Yoto. From this moment, you are a chuunin of the Imperial military."

Rini would just nod in return. She expected no less. The Amekage had many duties and she was just a genin, a nobody. Not that she minded. The thought of being a 'somebody' seemed daunting. To be obligated to fulfil all kind of tasks. Hell, being appointed by the Empress to commit to a task? Rini wouldn't like to know how that felt. She expected that it was far from a pleasant experience.
When Etsu began to list her record and experiences, Rini just remained silent. There wasn't much to say nor did she feel the need to say or bring up anything. It wasn't lies but she didn't feel special in any kind of sense. So far, those two men had simply abandoned her for brighter futures. A thing she didn't want to dislike them for, but still did.

A frown slightly started to form on Rini's brow when Etsu continued. Some words were giving a clear hint and Rini felt herself feeling a bit uneasy as light in the head.
The revelation of the jacket made Rini stare at it. In truth, it was what she wanted. But then again, she didn't want to accept it. It was going to be a change. And she wasn't fond of changes.
Opening her mouth, the words remain stuck in her throat. A blush started to spread a reddish tint on her cheeks as she averted her eyes. Gently accepting the jacket, she would inspect it briefly. It was the Imperial model, together with the mark of Amegakure at the bottom - to indicate where she came from.

"Thanks, Lady Amekage."

It was heartwarming to see the girl react to it. At the same time, Etsu wished that she could have spent more time with Rini and the others. But in her current position, she could still watch over their progress.
"You are welcome. Now, as chuunin, you are eligible to lead a team. According to your record, you basically rival some chuunin in mission experience. You don't have any leadership experience but that is where Kitana comes into play. She will help you and oversee your progression."
A second of pause followed Etsu's words as she would quickly search through her paperwork for a small map. Grabbing the desired map, she would roll it up and wrap a small as thin rope around it.
Presenting the rolled up map towards Rini, Etsu continued.
"I want your team to move north of the province. Travel towards the city of Entari. I want the team to survey the situation there. Just check on the bailiff and then return back. Any questions?"

Upon hearing the news of what more Etsu wanted for the team, Rini felt her world spinning. The argument was at the ready, to be verbally present back at Etsu. But instead, Rini would nod slowly. Looking up, she would accept the map and hold it close to her, together with the jacket.
"Head to Entari. Check up with the bailiff. Return back." She repeated, more for herself than to confirm that she understood it. "No questions, Lady Amekage."

"Good. Then I sadly need to let you go. Rally the team together and then head out as soon as you can. Remember, if you do run into any problems, try to avoid them and return. Now, I need to attend a meeting. Good luck, Rini."

Operation Black Sheep - Part II
Yamada Suzu "Rabbit"| City of Shisaki, Grass Province
Having made her way to the Grass Province, Suzu goes about her business there in a most spectacular fashion.

She sat on the edge of a bed in a rented out room in Yomuko's District of Shisaski, the capital of the Rain Province. The District was crowded, cramped, confined. Buildings pressed in on all sides creating narrow passages and sky less verandas as one walked through the place. It made for a great location to lay low, and a great location to kill someone if there was ever a need. But Suzu's mission wouldn't take place in Yomuko's, this was just a temporary stop-off, a place for her to ready her equipment and catch her breath if the need arose on the way back from her lovers rendezvous.

Her gaze passed over the bed before her, a rather sizable luxury for the amount she had paid for the room, but it wasn't the bed that interested her as much as what was on it. An assortment of exotic looking throwing knives, a pair of old wakizashi's that she'd bartered for on the street just a few days before and; her personal favorite of the assortment; three small pieces of pottery. She picked up one of the spherical pot and tossed it up and down for a moment, getting a feel for its weight before placing it back on the bed. Sweeping back across the room she would grab the long black cloak draped over the only chair in the room and bring it about her shoulders.

After a few minutes of setting the equipment just right beneath the cloak Suzu was off. With a quick glance out the window to the road below she'd bring her hands out and up over the lip of the roof above her and haul herself up. Rolling onto the roof she'd stand into the dusk twilight and begin picking her way across the haphazard buildings that made up Yomuko's District in the direction of the Fujima Garden.

Even after she'd made it out of Yomuko's District and had to drop from the rooftops to use the winding and bustling roads of Shisaski, Suzu had made good time. She reached the edge of the Fujima's Palace well before the sun had fully set and was past it by the time that the sun had finally made its grand exit.

Around her the city began to light up. Candles and lanterns had already been lit along the roads, but within houses and business the flicker of torch light and fires began to fill the roads in an amber glow, casting long shadows of everything within the lights reach and drenching others in ink black darkness. Suzu slipped around a corner as a patrol of Grass Province guards made their way leisurely down the street, their talking and laughter Suzu's only indication of their relative location to her as they ambled away in the opposite direction of where she had been heading.

She passed along the edge of Hino's Market next, just as busy as it had been during the day, except now it was punctuated by the sounds of music and dancing, of people making merry at a festival of some kind. She wondered briefly if it was for the wedding that was about to take place, surely the people would be jubilant for their Lord and Ladies joining in marriage. At least it made for a good reason to drink that she was sure of. Moving out from between two vendors stalls she'd drop a coin on a table and snatch up a mug of something that smelled oddly of grass but tasted far stronger of alcohol. With a bit of confusion on her own end Suzu downed the drink in one go and dropped the mug back on the table to the vendors awe before she was off again.

The road had been lit just minutes before, a group of young boys had hurried down the grand avenue that stretched towards Fujima's Garden lighting intricately crafted red, orange, and white lanterns every few meters on either side of the road as they went. The road was completely bathed in beautiful shades of reds and oranges leading toward the gardens not far in the distance which; as far as Suzu could see; were equally as well lit and decorated for the imminent wedding.

The crowd that had grown at the edges of the road grew excited at something Suzu could not quite see. But as the atmosphere became electric about her she knew it could mean only one thing, the Bride's Procession was arriving.

Slowly at first, growing from the great distance of the grand avenue, Suzu could make out the beginnings of an honor guard. Samurai, some six of them, all wearing some of the most finely crafted face masks she had ever laid eyes on led the group. Their armors were vibrant reflections of the Fujima Dynasty colors, hues of greens and grays, accented by whites and blacks to outline fierce hard lines in the armor, likely to draw attention back to the fact that these things were meant for far nastier business than a wedding procession.

These Samurai were followed by a smattering of finely armored stewards, none bearing the positional masks of their Lords, but all just as oddly fierce and breathtaking at the same time. Their ceremonial yari were draped with long flowing streamers of bright colors, no doubt each signifying some sort of position held by their Lords, or perhaps military victories or prestige of other kinds. She didn't think they'd be much of a help in a fight, which was all that really mattered.

Behind the honor guard came a group of younger women, some no older than thirteen if she had to guess. They were spreading flower pedals as they walked, littering the ground with what must have been hundreds of hours of meticulous plucking to achieve such an extravagant outcome. And behind them came the main course. The Brides cart.

It was just as ornate as Suzu could have imagined and then some. The thing was rather large for a single person, which led her to believe the bride didn't ride alone. At most they could fit two personal guards along with the noble woman, but she was more keen to guess on handmaids. After all, who would be suicidal enough to attack such a procession in the middle of the most heavily defended and patrolled city in the Grass Province?

The procession neared where Suzu stood rather quickly. She brought the hood up before bringing both hands into her cloak she'd rest them on two of the spherical pottery pieces she had placed delicately in their own pouches and began to rotate them idly in her hands as the honor guard marched past. She eyed the flower girls for a moment before bringing her cloak open and tossing both of the clay balls into the midst of the procession.

The first landed short of the honor guard, bouncing just once only a few feet in front of the crowd watching the procession before engulfing the crowd in a roar of flame and sound. Almost simultaneously the second landed in the midst of the flower girls, fire and debris roiled out in all directions as sound of the blasts momentarily drowned out the screams of the crowd. Before the flames had subsided Suzu was off, shoving her way forward through the crowd before they had a chance to even register what had just happened. She bounded over a man as his body crumpled beneath him, no doubt shrapnel had done him in and it seemed he had just failed to yet realize he was already dead.

As she landed she shoved her way forward as the sounds of the crowd finally began to fill her ears. Screams of horror and confusion filled the air as she sprinted the last few meters of crowd for the carts ahead of her. She struck a man as he stumbled out of the smoke and spun to the ground, landing so hard she took in a single surprised breath expecting to go up in a grand explosion like the crowd had just seconds before. She patted the ground and didn't take the time to question her still beating heart before jumping back to her feet and cutting down a random man in front of her as she drew a wakizashi and pulled the final clay bomb from her cloak and simply threw it at the largest crowd nearest to her, the crump of the detonation and the subsequent wet slaps of the pressure wave on flesh and bone resounding down the road as she jumped into the nearest dust cloud.

She burst into the cloud of dust and struck down another figure that had been moving about in confusion before she came out the other side of the dust cloud face to face with a ceremonial mask. Before the samurai could react her wakizashi was buried in the bottom of his skull and he was toppling over. Suzu scanned quickly and found that much to her satisfaction much of the honor guard had died in the explosions, along with all but one of the flower girls. She pulled one of the knives from her cloak and let it fly, catching the final flower girl in the neck before she continued the last of her sprint to the brides cart.

She bounded over a crumpled figure and up the steps to the carts door, pulling it open so hard it came right of the hinges and clattered to the ground beside the cart. Inside she found exactly what she was looking for.

Suzu emerged from the cart with a blood soaked cloak and an almost unnoticeable smile about her lips before taking off through the crowds of dazed and confused onlookers as they stumbled about in random directions.

Kyoi Hyuuga
Team 9 - The Wonderful Yakimara Lands

It was quite a surprise seeing just how much Hiron was pushing the team, forced marching at double pace without breaks, sleeping in rougher conditions than most of the team was likely used to. Admittedly Kyoi had grown accustomed to the relative comfort that they were allowed in recent days, things hadn't been as hard as they were a matter of years ago during the previous war. It was a worthwhile experience for the genin, so that they'd know what they could expect later in life if war indeed brought itself to the akinian lands.

The general air of the Yakimara encampment was... Well it wasn't all too welcoming to say the least, a lingering animosity that seemed prevalent throughout the camp, the source of it wasn't something Kyoi was privy to seeing as she hadn't looked into the Yakimara's current situation but she'd have to take a look at that once she got back to the capital to see if she could lay down some groundwork on fixing the problem.
But that could wait for another time, the focus at the moment would be to avoid stepping on toes and prevent any conflict caused by some unexpected slight.

Upon reaching the tent and being "introduced" to the 12th brigade by Hiron, Kyoi gave a small nod and entered the tent without fuss. Something that was slightly concerning, at least in Kyoi's eyes, was the haste at which Shikaroku apologised for how they were being treated by the Yakimara. "You don't have to apologize for that, but it's appreciated, people have their underlying prejudices and we just happen to be reminders of that to them." She gave the genin a smile and a small pat on his good shoulder. "All we have to do is not give them any grief, produce some results and then go back home when our services are no longer required."

Afterward she set her bag down and stretched out a little bit, looking to the young Nara again. "Do you want that shoulder looked at?"

The 12th Situation!
Empire of Akino | Yakimara heartlands, many miles east of Tatekumo, at a fortified camp | Hiron Hon - Major General of the 3rd Imperial Division, Leader of Team 9 |

With his team brought to their designated tent, Hiron had left them. He didn't really worry much about them. It was true that this camp was filled to the brim with Yakimara. Who didn't enjoy the presence of Taika. But Hiron sincerely doubted that any of them would seek trouble or worse with his team. Else? He had some faint hope that Shikaroku and Kyoi could, hopefully, avoid any ruckus.

Banning the thoughts regarding the team out of his mind, Hiron went towards the centre of the camp. Standing out in the Imperial shinobi gear, he was probably an eyesore compared to those that served and worked in the camp. However, as he approached a large tent, he wouldn't be halted by the guards.
Entering the tent, Hiron spotted four men sitting around a table. Unlike many in the camp, they weren't sporting any armour or weapons. Yet, they were probably the most experienced men in this camp.

"Captains," Hiron began as he approached the table, "You guys managed to be here on time? And I thought I would lose you lot to the vices of these lands." Taking a seat at the table, Hiron reached for a waterskin. "I hope I am not too late."

One of them, who seem the oldest judging by the grey streaks in his hair, scoffed loudly. "You come in walking with a bunch of shinobi. If you weren't so favoured by her Majesty, I would have let you wait outside." The old man went by the name of Brennus. A member of the Huor Tribe. Known as a bitter man to many, he was actually respected by his kin and those that served underneath his command.
"But we were just about to discuss what to do with the new platoons that are to reinforce our battalions."

Hiron turned his attention to Drest, another captain of the 12th. A young man that had probably seen twenty-one winters. The youngest captain among the present bunch. "We have managed to gain some conscripts and even some volunteers. Though it will take another year before they will meet our standards." Drest further reported, flashing a polite smile. "Unless we would pressure them harder."
Though being one of the more kind captains, Drest was no under no circumstance somebody to underestimate. Serving from a young age as a shinobi, he would eventually move in with the regular military to be able to serve more with his kin and fellow Yakimara.

"I am awaiting some more supplies. Currently, I am drilling my new recruits but currently, I can only equip them with training gear. Which I suppose," the man that spoke grinned, "won't help a lot. Other than to exhaust them rather quickly."
Eogan, another captain of the 12th. Despite being bald and called 'egghead' by some of his subordinates, he wasn't the kind of man that you wanted mad. The various scars that 'decorated' his scalp were clear to view and his record detailed a lot of grim engagements - which Eogan all seemed to survive with a ferocious tenacity, matched only by a few.

"My battalion is full on strength and ready to move. We are just awaiting your words, major general," the last man present reported. Captain Valerius, a man of few words as he often let his deeds speak for him. A commander that didn't let his men complain and was known to push them to no end - which didn't make him popular. Yet, he had a certain charm that made many often forget that fact and be willing to shed blood with him.

Taking another sip of the waterskin, Hiron took in the information. Truth be told, he was a bit surprised. So far, it sounded like things were getting along. He had expected that the situation was less positive.
"Good. We are to mobilize our forces. I will see what I can do to make sure that you get those supplies, Eogan." Hiron then turned his attention to Valerius. "If your battalion is on full strength. I want you to march towards the west. I assume you are aware of what the rally point will be?"

Valerius nodded slowly as a response.
"Great. I also brought in some cockroaches. They will join Drest's battalion." Hiron briefly thought about the team that he had brought.
"We will go over some details in a bit. As for the rest of you? Make sure that you get your battalions on strength. Then move out to the rally point. I want the 12th at the ready within the time that I alerted you before."

Some soft grumbling could be heard but Hiron ignored it. Despite all, the 12th was a brigade that met his expectations. Efficient, loyal and willing. The addition of having the knowledge and being able to utilize some Yakimara warfare were welcoming bonus features as well.
Waiting till they were alone, Drest turned his gaze on Hiron. "So, you got a few for my battalion?" He began, not hiding his curiosity.

"That, I do." Hiron leaned slightly back as he would think about the people that accompanied him to the camp. "Most are genin. Haven't see much of a prolonged conflict at this point." Thinking of Yiko and Shikaroku, Hiron frowned. "Two of them have the length and can be thrown with the other recruits. Another," Tomiko crossed his mind, "is likely too short to serve in active field duty within an unit. Perhaps can function as a scout or such."

"If 'they' are indeed capable of such task. Just because they can't join an unit in a frontline, doesn't mean that I can put them among my other scouts. Too short, weak or having not the required skill? Then I have no use for them." Drest chimed in.

"Fair enough. I will obviously let you inspect them yourself. Two others are somewhat more experienced. One would likely meet your expectations. Even if she is a Hyuuga." Hiron replied, already seeing the frown forming on Drest's features.
"Seeing that they are shinobi in background, I can say that they will be no more drilled than most of your recruits, though."

The captain looked away, clearly pondering. But he would do so out loud, speaking his thoughts out.
"If they got the height and ability, they can serve as a normal unit. Even as shinobi, that might be even great. Having dual ability to help fight alongside their unit and being able to function as shinobi in the field." Drest started, looking back at Hiron. "Otherwise, if they have medical skill then they would be great to fill in with the other physicians. If they got some actual skill and experience, maybe we can use some scouts. Else?" The captain scratched the back of his head briefly. "I suppose we could always use some folk that dig the latrine ditches."

The Omari Go North
A collab between Conman and Gero!

Summary: The Omari, now confident in their established base of power, reach out to the Yanagi and the Tanji. The talks do not go well, and the delegates return with news that will likely sour the mood of the Omari leader.

The Omari representative road along quietly, the plumed helmet and shining armor marking him as one of the Omari retainers. A small bodyguard of six men followed him on the horse, their helmets plumeless. The clan crest of the Omari was displayed prominently over each of their hearts, marking them as members of the nobility. They were travelling to the compound of the Yanagi, situated within the heart of their territory. A messenger had already been sent ahead to arrange the meeting. The representative in question was Chu's cousin, Tel Omari, his raven hair and large jagged scar running down the left side of his face. Soon, they would arrive at the gates of the compound, and the group would halt, Tel looking to the gates, would speak to the guards. "The Omari would have an audience with your honored leader, Yanagi."

The gates of the compound were wide open, guarded by a contigenet of guards. While alerted of the visit, the Yanagi clansmen seemed wary for anything suspicious. The Omari delegation would be allowed to pass through as a few guards would form a protective square around the Omari. This group of guards escorted the Omari through the small town to another ring of defense.
The second of wall was manned by more guards that seemed better equipped. The first group of guards handed them over to a second group - that seemed both more professional by the looks of their gear and how they handled the affair.

Arriving at the courtyard, a few servants awaited the delegation to let the Omari dismount. The servants would take care of the horses - leading them away to the nearby stables. A few guards would remain with the delegation as another servant made a small bow, before leading them inside what appeared to be the keep.
Not directly led towards the Yanagi clan leader, the Omari would be allowed to refresh themselves before a servant would guide them towards the main hall. It was decorated with various banners hanging from the wall, further with the addition of coloured lamps that were likely lit during the darker hours of the day.
On a decorated chair sat an old man, whose wrinkles and grey hair betrayed his advanced age. Other folk were present, which seemed to be lesser nobles, kinsmen and the obvious honor guards of the clan leader. A herald would step forwards, announcing his lord by his titles and name. Only to follow with announcing that the Omari delegation could come forward to present themselves to the Lord of the Yanagi clan.

Tel was not surprised by their suspicion, after all, not many meetings occurred between the clans of the Rain province, and the Omari in particular had already proven they had a particular proclivity towards expansion, though no reports of any sort of dishonorable conduct had leaked out, perhaps due to some effort on the Omari's half. The refreshments were gratefully accepted by all the men. Out of respect, their helmets and weapons remained with the horses, left attached to saddles and saddlebags, and so when they were lead to the hall, all seven of the delegation were unarmed. Still, their armor looked impressive and well maintained, and they had the bearings of professional soldiers as they marched in step into the hall. Two of the six men carried a fine wooden box between them. When the herald was finished announcing the titles of the Rain Lord, Tel would bow. "Lord Yanagi, it is an honor and a pleasure to meet you. I am representative Tel Omari" He signalled to the men with the box, who brought it forward. "On behalf of Lord Omari, I offer you a gift. His way of apology, for not being able to converse with you in person today." The men would open the box to reveal a finely crafted sword, made in the Taika style, with an elfrine stone set into the hilt.

The lord of the Yanagi clan made a subtle gesture, causing two servants to move on the box, close it and carry it away. For the entire duration, so far, the eyes of the old lord hadn't moved from the speaking representative of the Omari clan. "Let us skip the necessary formalities." The grey eyebrows formed a frown on the brown of the lord, as he slightly leaned forward. "If your clan and lord desires something, I expect it is either a good bargain. Or he comes to ask me himself."

The tone which the old lord spoke with was stern, laced with a sliver of displeasure. "I have heard reports, after all. That the clans that the Omari have visited in the southern part of the province have sworn fealty to them." His gaze moved, clearly inspecting the armour which some of the delegation wore. A ring of amusement sparked in the old lord's voice. "Last time I studied the affairs of politics, I was certain that such attires were anything but welcome. Unless the Omari desire to come take my rightful leadership with force."
Almost instantly after those words, some of the courtiers would mumble as the guards used the blunt end of their spears to drum twice on the ground.

"We have no wish to fight you, or to ask you to lower your status Lord Yanagi, we come for a different purpose." Tel was handed a sealed envelope from one of the men behind him. In turn, he held it out for the servants. "The Omari would like to strike a trade bargain with you Lord Yanagi, if you are willing." The envelope would contain a more formalized list of the terms that the Omari would offer. "We would trade you coin for surplus food and any ores that you produce. We would also offer you some measure of guarantee of friendship from the Omari. A tie between the houses of the Omari and the Yanagi. Our lord Omari has a sister who is unwed. Perhaps such an arrangement to have her married to one of the sons of the honorable lord of the Yanagi could be made?"

The old man slowly leaned forward, his eyes narrowing. The servant accepted the sealed envelope but as the servant turned, the lord made no motion to accept the letter. "Trade? Minerals?" The lord repeated, a sliver of doubt running through his voice. "Your lord wishes to arrange a marriage to secure trade?"

"My lord's wishes are two fold. Secure friendship with the Lord of the Yanagi, and to begin trade with the Northern Rain clans." The Omari replied simply. "We would secure your friendship with the marriage and purchase your goods with coin at prices that are agreed upon."

Slowly, the old lord would lean back as he kept frowning at the Omari delegation. "You come in, dressed as if you are ready for war. And you speak of friendship, trade and marriage." A sliver of displeasure could be heard, ringing only louder. "I won't wed one of my children to your lords sister. I know nothing of him or his family. Friends, I don't need." The lord of the Yanagi clan paused for a moment.

"Your lord won't find any friends among my clan. Not unless I see a reason for it." With that said, he would wave them off. "A good journey back and all of that."

The representative's eyes narrowed at the words. This lord clearly had no love for the banter of words or anything else, clearly one of the many complacent lords of this province. "Very well Lord Yanagi, it is unfortunate that you would see it that way." He let the words hang as he turned on his heel and passed through his men, who turned on their heel and followed him out of the room. The delegation would collect their horses and their weapons, before riding out of the compound, back towards the friendly clan lands.

The seven riders rode close to each other, a day out from their posts in the lands of the Ogami, just south of the Tanji clan lands. They were the expected delegation from the Omari, messages to arrange the meeting being sent ahead. Six men were sent as bodyguards, bearing light leather armor and swords. The delegate on the other hand, wore the simple tunic of the Taika nobility. On the back of the horse of the Omari delegates was a box, secured tightly in place. They soon arrived at the compound of the Tanji, and dismounting, the men lead their horses up to the front gate. The delegate would wave to the men who guarded the gates. His warm smile would be disarming, and contrast to the fierce scowl that he seemed to wear not moments before. The crest over his heart marked him as a member of the Omari nobility, lending creedance and reason as to why he wore their clothes. "Well met friends, please, tell you Lord that the Omari delegation has arrived to meet with him."

The words echoed through the air as the gate guards didn't seem eager to open. They watched from the security of their fortifications down at the Omari delegation. Then without a warning, the double gates slowly would open. Revealing a small unit of guards that seemed to await the Omari delegation. The obvious leader in question, recognisable by his attire, would size up the Omari delegation.

"Weapons, please." He instructed on an even tone as two guards held a box for the Omari to place their weapons in.

The delegate signalled for the men to do as the leader of the garrison asked, and the Omari did not hesitate, taking off their weapons and placing them in the box. Helmets were also removed, though these were tied to saddlebags and left to hang their. The Omari delegate was the only one not to place weapons in the box, and that was simply because he bore none.

Once the weapons were given, an unit of guards would form an escort. Guiding the Omari delegation to the large keep, that was positioned behind another ring of sturdy walls and towers. There the Omari delegation would be offered a rest into guest quarters, together with servants subtly moving in to take care of the Omari mounts.
A few hours later, with sufficient rest and time to allow the Omari to prepare themselves to meet the Lord of the Tanji clan, they would be guided to the keep's main hall.

Rich decorations in the form of art pieces and silken banners were present in the large hall. Many courtiers were present, forming an open pathway to the 'throne' of the Lord. A man sat on the stone throne, his posture betraying his proud noble origin.The few streaks of grey hair weren't hidden but clearly shown, a sign of the man slowly passing his prime years.
With a calm expression, he would watch how the Omari delegation would make way to him as a herald announced the lord by his titles.

As a silence dawned in the hall, the lord of the Tanji clan would speak up.
"Speak, those who come from the Omari clan."

The Omari delegation was grateful for the respite offered, the few hours of rest needed after the long ride. The guards would remain behind while the delegate went with the servant and pair of guards who guided him to the throne room, the long in hand. He could not help but admire the architecture present in the room, the building reminiscent of lordly hall of the Omari, though differences were present. The silken banners were well woven and the art depicted heroic feats of war. A proud and noble history was evident in the room of the Tanji. The Omari delegate bowed to the lord after reaching a respectful distance from the Lord of the Tanji. "Lord Tanji, I am representative Shima. My Lord extends his greetings and thanks with this gift." The representative held the chest outwards to be taken. Inside was a finely crafted sword.

The Lord sat as a rock, unmoving, as he listened to the Omari delegation. When the delegation offered him the greeting and thanks through a gift, there was a subtle gesture from the Tanji lord. A servant moved almost silently forward to accept the gift. Turning to a nearby guard, the lord moved his gaze from the delegation to the guard. The weapon wasn't unsheathed, for that would be improper. But judging from the small nod, the lord of the Tanji clan seemed to approve.

"Your lord is kind for this gift. Though, if he wished to greet me, I would have been honoured to accept him in my halls, in person." The lord calmly replied.

The Omari representative looked pleased that the gift was accepted, and the words of the Tanji Lord were welcoming, unlike a few other of the Rain clans Lords. "Lord Omari is regretfully indisposed at this current moment. He has been attending the meeting of the other Taika lords of the Empire. I am certain he would like to greet you in person, so perhaps another meeting could be arranged." He removed a letter from the folds of his robe. "He does send me with a letter of greetings however Lord Tanji, and he hopes that our dealings here go well, so that both our clans may prosper from any arrangements made."

"I understand." The lord replied, seemingly unmoved once more. "And what dealing might that be then? If the Lord Omari desires to engage into a pact or cooperation with my clan, I would appreciate it more to hear it from him." As the man finished, a servant would approach the throne and lean towards his lord.
Moving a hand to cover his lips, the servant whispered something to the lord.

The Omari seemed to consider this for a moment, and then nodded. "I cannot blame you for wishing to hear any offers from my Lord in person. Perhaps then we might arrange a meeting so that the pair of you can discuss these matter personally?"

"If you carry the wishes of your lord, let me hear them now. It would be a waste of my time and an insult to both your lord as to my address, to send you home without any purpose." Though the polite phrasing, it was evident that the man wasn't growing friendlier. Something that was evident by his raising left eyebrow.
The man did not waver, his look reverted to a more neutral one be less readable however. "Lord Omari wishes to engage the Tanji in trade. We would trade for any ores and surplus food that you may produce." The Omari replied.

"I must decline." The lord simply stated at first. "I am not interested in generating a trade with the Omari clan. For we have already contacted a trade partner that allows us to generate wealth and comfort."
The Tanji leader remained silent for a moment.
"I fear thus that you have arrived too late."

The representative's eyes narrowed for a moment. The reports he had received had nothing in them about a trade partner that the Tanji had. Someone had been meddling in the affairs of the Rain clans. "It is unfortunate that we would receive this news Lord Tanji, nevertheless, we understand." He considered his options for a moment, then continued. "However, should the Tanji require assistance in anything, please do send word, the Omari would be happy to oblige. If you do not mind Lord Tanji, I will take my leave now. It has been my honor to receive your hospitality, however I wish to leave as soon as possible."

Not long after that the Omari delegate would leave, returning south with the news of the problems that now faced their expansion.

Meeting with the Omari
A collab between Oetje and Conman!

Summary: Soon after arriving back in the Rain, Chu would go to meet with the new Amekage at her invitation. Chu holds little trust for the new Amekage, but she quickly brings the tension to a head. The Omari leader leaves the meeting satisfied but wary of the new governer.

It wasn't the most spacious halls within the complex. But it certainly served well to meet with nobility. There were some paintings hanging at the walls and a few pieces of art on display. The low table with the pillows were near a broad window that provided a good view on Amegakure, facing the north.
With the refreshments prepared, Etsu already took place on a pillow as she would fold her fingers slowly, almost carefully, around the mug. The subtle steam indicating that the liquid inside was still warm.

Despite the more diplomatic nature of the meeting, Etsu wasn't garbed in any expensive clothing. But a comfortable pants and tunic, that seemed more fitting for the working class than somebody that governed a province of the Akinian empire.

Chu strode with confident stride of a Lord as he entered into the hall. He was not dressed opulently, but to say that care had not gone into his appearance would be a mistake. He wore a fine tunic of cyan coloring, the crest of his clan placed neatly over his breast. The trousers of his outfit were black, and he wore a pair of dark brown leather boots that fit well with the overall color. This was one of the few occasions in which he did not wear his sword, his blade and sheath left behind in the care of one of the guards when he entered the building. He did not move to take a seat. "Lady Amekage, I trust you are well?" Chu greeted. His tone was polite but there was an edge of ice to it. He did not particularly care for the position of Amekage, the previous incumbants of the office had done little to help the region, or even govern it.

A smile grew on the lips of Etsu as she would reply back to the leader of the Omari.
"Lord Omari, it is both a pleasure and a honour to meet you in this hall. Please, take a seat." She said, seemingly unaware of the icy tone or ignoring it.
"Would you like some refreshments? Tea? Some food perhaps?" The woman offered, making a subtle gesture to the nearby servants to present the various refreshments that had been prepared.

Chu selected a cup of tea from the refreshments offered. After taking a small sip, he placed the cup down upon the table as he took a seat at it. "I am glad to see that the city is once again back in the control of the Empire, and rid of the zealots. Though I must say, I was surprised to learn that no message was sent to the Omari for aide, we would have gladly given it." His facial expression was neutral, but there was a hint of distrust upon his features. "Though, given the results, I suppose the Omari were not needed in this particular instance."

Patiently waiting, Etsu would raise her own mug closer to her lips. Gently, she would blow on the warm surface of the mug's content. Listening to Chu, there was no change in the woman's features. Before she answered, Etsu lowered the mug.
"I hope your lord ain't insulted. But the last attack was rather sudden. There wasn't much room or chance to send a request for outside help. Let alone, await if it would arrive on time."

The polite smile returned to Etsu's lips.
"But I am certain that the Omari would have done a splendid job if they would have partaken in the struggle."

"Hmmm… Well, I will not linger on the topic. The city seems to have been taken care of regardless." The Omari lord picked up his cup and sipped it once again, then set it down. "Let us move on to other matters." Neither his tone nor his expression changed.

"As you desire, Lord Omari."
Taking a moment, Etsu would place the mug down on the table. The polite and friendly attitude would linger as she continued.
"It has gotten to my attention that there have been refugees from the Claw country moving into the province. One of the regions they moved into was yours, Lord Omari. I would like to hear how these people have been treated and what measures have been taken." A second of pause followed.
"I am aware that the previous Amekage wasn't that interested in solving such problems. She preferred to dive her nose into books. I hope you will not find it invasive that I rather deal with problems than turning away from them."

The Omari leader raised an eyebrow at the question. After all, the refugees flooding into his lands were his area of jurisdiction, were they not? Still, he figured he might be at least open with this Amekage. She had not given him reason to distrust her as of yet. "Mmm… The previous Amekage seemed far more interested books then governing in general. It is good to know that you are more interested in your job then she was." He picked up the cup and took another sip before setting it down on the table once more. For a moment he wondered at the flavor, and which leaf had been used in the brew. "I have given them homes and jobs, after stripping them of arms of course, and I have them all under a watchful eye. Currently the refugees have been slowed at my border, I am certain that you are aware that the Omari have had to take up possession of the borders at the behest of our vassal clans, as the previous Amekage had no interest in guarding them it seems."

"Of course, that is a most generous measure indeed Lord Omari." Etsu began, "Though, I hope you won't mind if I will start an investigation into their wellbeing and affairs? It is only for the security of the province. It is no secret that the operatives of the Fang managed to sneak in with refugees. Managing to infiltrate where we thought that they were harmless."
Picking up her mug, the woman's gaze briefly lowered.
"As for the borders. I suppose I should be grateful that you were so attentive to the important matters whereas the previous Amekage lacked the capability to act."

Turning her gaze back on Chu, there was still no shift in her attitude or tone.
"Though, I have also gotten word that you expanded your influence more than at the border. Most intriguing."

The Omari folded his hands. "You are welcome to do as much investigation into their wellbeing and affairs as needed. The Omari are happy to do so if it means the province's security and prosperity might be safeguarded." The Omari held up a hand and dismissed her next words outright however. "If I may be frank Amekage, I have no patience for word games. If you take issue with my actions, then I ask that you speak plainly. I am certain that a sufficient explanation might be provided."

"You are most kind, Lord Omari. I doubt I need to include that if my investigators will come across anything that is against the desired situation, I will be relocating those refugees."
Raising her mug, Etsu would once more gently blow on the surface before taking a small sip.
"Oh? You imply that I am playing a game with you, Lord Omari? I wouldn't dare. But if you would be curious, I won't be able to say no to a game of shogi." Etsu's attitude slightly shifted as her smile became wider for a moment.
"From what I hear, you did somewhat force a clan into your servitude. Moving in troops into their territory and thus forcing them to become your vassal. Which is most curious. Cause the way I see it and you may correct me if I am wrong," now the smile started to vanish, "they are fellow citizens of the Imperial province of the Rain. Loyal to the crown. Or do you have another explanation, Lord Omari?"

"Fascinating that you might bring such a thing up. An interesting conjecture." The Omari did not let his facial expression crack or shift. "However, they were not forced to join me as a vassal. Afterall, no troops were present in the borders of the clan when they signed the treaty accepting them as vassals to the Omari clan here in the city. They were even allowed a full two months to decide." His stony expression remained. "But, of course if they did feel that force was being used, perhaps their leader issued a complaint to the Amekage at the time? If they did not, then these conjectures hold little merit I am afraid."

A surprised expression flowed on Etsu's features as Chu replied on his turn.
"Oh? They weren't forced? Very generous to give them two months to decide when you send in troops into the territory of the Uyeno clan."
The woman decided to take another sip of her tea.
"Between you and me. I absolutely adore this tea. It is apparently imported from the Uchiha heartlands. I figured it would be a nice excuse to try such an expensive refreshment."

Placing her mug down, Etsu continued in a politelike, almost friendly manner.
"Of course, if you mean well, Lord Omari. It wouldn't hurt much to release the clans that you send troops to. Then I fear that any accusation against you wouldn't hold any ground. If not? I fear that the Omari need to be watched a bit more careful. As governing Amekage, I need to protect the people of the province. Both from foreign as internal threats."

The Omari Lord raised his eyebrow. "Oh? No threats of invasion into my fellow clans were made. They joined me out of wish for reform and economic prosperity, which I am all too happy to oblige." He drummed his fingers upon the table. "You are welcome to watch the Omari carefully if you wish. However, I will not sacrifice the union that I have worked so hard to pull together just because you offer some scrutiny, Lady Amekage." His tone remained polite. "I am, after all, looking forward to a prosperous and beneficial relationship between the new Amekage and the Omari."

"No threats of invasion were made."
She repeated the words slowly and gently, as if she required to say them to believe it. Inhaling slowly, Etsu shook her head.
"I might not be from noble origin, Lord Omari. But when I hear of around a hundred soldiers moving into a compound. Not invited, I need to add. With weapons drawn, I think of an invasion. An invasion of space. A breach of security. After all," she calmly continued, "if these clans were to join you because they desired so much for a reform, you wouldn't need to send for troops. But perhaps a cart with luxury goods and wealth would have sufficed."

Pausing, Etsu's right eyebrow slightly perked up. As if she was mere amused by the little back and forth that they were having.
"I will admit that I lack the resources and manpower to investigate into these matters. By the time that I solved the more pressing issues, it may be too late to get a trustworthy report on what have occurred here and there. As much as this can be blamed on the previous Amekage's incompetence, I will assure you. I won't tolerate any methods like that."
Despite the polite tone, the threatening phrasing would linger briefly in the air. Then as if nothing had occurred, Etsu continued on a friendly tone.
"But you speak of a prosperous and beneficial relationship with me and your clan? May I ask, any suggestions coming from you?"

The Omari Lord remained unimpressed and unmoved throughout the reply from Etsu, instead choosing to maintain his facial expression of polite indifference. When finally her threat was at an end, a more friendly expression would appear upon Chu's face. "Yes, to begin with, the Omari would offer the city aide in rebuilding after this most recent disaster, men may be called upon by you as you please to repair the damage, and our merchants will sell the materials that you require at as low prices as can be afforded. We would also offer the shinobi corp one hundred of the elfrine stones we have recently discovered in our mines. Free of the typical charge that we would place upon the stones of course."

"That is most generous. I will, of course, accept any charity that is shown towards the city. Much damage has been caused. And while I am trying to repair, all the help is welcome." Etsu replied.
"Your gift of these elfrine stones is generous as well. Though I have heard some talking about it, I haven't yet had the chance to learn anything about them. What makes them so useful, if you won't mind explaining it to me."

Chu nodded, and removed the ring on his left hand. Embedded was a green stone that seemed to absorb the surrounding light, drawing it in. "This is an example of the stone. It has the ability to store and retrieve chakra, and one can do so simply by focusing and pouring their own chakra into it, or retrieving chakra from it." He offered the ring to the Amekage. "Please, try it for yourself."

Gently taking the ring, Etsu would inspect the stone. She was by no means or ends, an expert on minerals. The green stone seemed beautiful but from the mere sight, it provided no special ability so far she could see.
Pouring a bit of chakra into the stone, she witnessed how it eagerly took it but no more than that she offered it. A curious but not completely rare occurance as she had seen chakra blades easily imbuing themselves with gifted chakra.
Focusing on pulling it out was strange. She had never tried to do so, cause it wouldn't ever work. Once chakra would be flown into an object, it would usually 'die' out.

Instead, she would surprisingly experience how she pulled her chakra out of the stone.
"Very curious, if I say so myself." Etsu mumbled, audible enough for Chu.
Offering the ring back, Etsu considered some options.
"I am intrigued. Sadly, my occupation doesn't allow me to fully research these elfrine stones. But if they do storage chakra, I can see some benefits to grant them to shinobi and operatives."

Watching closely as she inspected the item, Chu was not surprised that she was easily able to pull chakra from and push it into the stone. Accepting the ring back, he placed it back on to his finger. "Curious indeed. I was most surprised when this stone was brought before me." He paused for a moment. "Perhaps if the city were to wish to gain more of the items in the future, the Omari could offer a steep discount as well, out of respect for my history with the shinobi corp."

Etsu seemed to consider the offer.
"If that is what you desire, I won't stand in your way to offer a discount to the city. I would like to run some tests on the elfrine rock. To fully test out their potential and uses." Etsu replied on turn.
"I take it that you resign from the shinobi corp? Though what about the 4th Division? The Imperial force could certainly make use of capable men. Whether they are simple commoners or lords of clans."

The Omari nodded. "Out of respect for my clan's need for a capable leader constantly, I must regretfully resign from my position within the shinobi Corp. I would be happy to oblige the offer to keep a post with the fourth division of course." He decided to take another drink from his tea at this point.

"That will be arranged then. I intend to make use of the Fourth division. More than the previous Amekage seemed to have planned. Though my main concern is to make sure that the fourth imperial division is to full strength."
Flashing a smile towards Chu, Etsu paused for a mere second.
"But I will be worrying about that. I believe that should, however, conclude our affairs for now. Unless you have anything else you desire to discuss with me, Lord Omari."

"I cannot say I do." He stood from his position at the table. "Do not hesitate to call upon the Omari should you need something, we would be happy to oblige. May our future interactions be fruitful, Amekage." With that, he turned on his heel and left the office behind.

Last edited:
A Team Meeting
Empire of Akino | Ardara, within the Sarutobi Heartlands| A team 4 meeting, in the inn that they are staying in | Mamoru Senju @RedFox , Aoi Miyazato @FrostedCaramel , Madoc Yamanaka @Oblivion666 , Dagrún Hon @Aliceee and Meilin Cho @Oetje |

Everybody was in the room, which Aoi and Meilin slept in. Whereas Meilin would have been worried if she could leave Madoc, Dagrún and Aoi together in a room without her trying to keep the peace, things had changed quite well from how it all had started. Somebody from the inn had brought them a simple supper - some bread, bowls of soup and some light ale to drink. Nothing too luxurious or expensive.
With food brought in, there was no reason for anybody of the inn to bother them. Unless it was going to be somebody of team 8 but Meilin highly doubted that would occur.

"So, before we start," Meilin gestured to Mamoru with a gesture. "I think he can speak for himself. Stage is yours." Meilin further stated as she would let Mamoru speak for himself, as well sitting down in front of the bed where she slept in.

Mamoru was silently observing what was happening in the room. Team 4 looked like a group of good friends, and in extension a team of good comrades. He was afraid we would ruin everything in this team just by being there, and he had to reassure himself such would not be the case if he gives it his best. It is true that he lacked any real experience working in a team, but if there was one thing he had no issues with it was discipline. His father made sure about that and Mamoru thanked him for that in his mind. Just as their supper arrived, Mamoru was gestured by Meilin-Sensei to stand up and introduce himself. So he stood up and took a deep breath.

"So … Meilin-Sensei, Aoi, Dagrún, Madoc … I am sure that you were told in advance that I would be joining you so … ", he felt his voice shake a bit, so he took a deep breath to steady it." My name is Mamoru Senju! While I am not from an important group of my Clan, I still feel a great deal of pride about it! I like training with … well, with everybody who is willing to train with me, or just alone with my companion! Or to be precise, my fox summon! I also like walks in a setting sun and sitting atop the head of The First Hokage and look over the village! I also like a good pork BBQ with ramen and … and green tea!" His voice was no longer shaky and he felt a bit more confident." I like to think about myself as of a loyal, honest and hard working person. I know that you don't know me yet but, and do not trust me yet - you can count on me to have Your backs when the situation will call for it! My dream … my dream is to one day become strong enough that I will be able to protect everyone and everything that is important to me! And I want to be able to protect it with my friends since … since I believe only a person who allows others to help him can … be … strong so … yeah. That was about me … I hope .. I hope we will be able to become good teammates and friends!" He felt a huge blush overcome his face about what he just said.Let's just hope they will not think about like I am an idiot, he thought for himself.

Sitting on her bed, Dagrún was cautious to not spill any of her supper on her bed. As Meilin gave the room for Mamoru to introduce himself, Dagrún remained silent. She wanted to make a comment but decided to keep her thoughts for herself. Remembering that speaking out loud had made Aoi feel offended, the blonde Hon remaining focused on listening and taking a few bites of her food. Dipping a piece of bread into the soup, Dagrún threw a glance at the speaking Senju.
Chewing on her bite, Dagrún would let Mamoru's words sink in. If anything, she found it ironic that fate had decided that she would meet somebody with such a goal. She had her own thoughts about trying to protect everyone that was important. From her own experience and memory, such a goal was nice.

"Welcome to the team." Dagrún spoke up, slowly after she cleared her mouth. Her raspy voice seemed, however, to contain a sliver of distrust. Opposed to the usual confidence that went with her voice. "Dagrún of the Tryvvge lineage, I am an Ylfing of the House of Dowhon. " Nodding towards Mamrou, she decided to add something to her short introduction back, half mumbling it. "Or Hon, if that is more convenient towards you."
Letting a pause follow, she wasn't certain if it was now expected that they were required to tell something about their ambitions or hobbies. She was certain that half of her ambitions would include terms and matters that would appear alien or odd to half of the team. Her only hope was that Meilin had an understanding but Dagrún decided to not bring up her ambition.

"I don't have much of a hobby, to be honest. If anything, I do share liking to take walks. I got a companion that I like to take on those walks." A hint of a smile dawned on Dagrúns lips as she thought of this 'companion'. "Other than that, I suppose that I can set a tattoo on myself or somebody else." Turning her gaze on her supper, Dagrún settled on that this would likely suffice as she continued with her supper.

Despite the fact it was her room, Aoi had decided to take a spot at the windowsill. Her back to the glass she had watched as Dagrúm, Madoc and the new team member had arrived. Bleakly she had thought that the higher-ups had been rather quick in replacing Dea, but had pushed the thought from her mind the moment it had appeared. Moving her hands down to her lap she'd start to wipe them on her pants in an attempt to remove the sensation of blood that hadn't been there for weeks. After a few attempts at getting rid of the feeling she'd clasp her hands together to stop herself from continuing and move her attention the new guy as he spoke.

Grimacing a moment as he called Meilin "sensei" she'd bite her tongue to hold back any other faces she might make and wring out her hands as the feeling of blood only grew with the new guys ever-optimistic attitude. As Mamoru went on Aoi felt herself become more and more repulsed by the thought of him. His lofty ideals, his ambitions, his apparent goal in life. It was far too much. She could feel the bile rising in the back of her throat as he hoped for the best with the team.

As Dagrún finished up Aoi would put up a friendly smile and swallow back the bile in her throat before she spoke, "Miyazato Aoi, I don't have as fancy of a lineage as our resident Dowhon but I've got good blood nonetheless." she stated with a wave. Moving her attention from Mamoru for only a moment she'd gaze out the window as she tried to figure out what else to tell the kid, "I don't have much of a hobby, unless not being able to hold my spirits counts." she shrugged and gave him a wave of her hand, "Welcome to the team, Senju".

Another new teammate which made sense if Meilin was considered their leader at this point. It was a shame what happened to Dea but on a dangerous mission such as the one she died on, being a genin was risky. Mostly a new one at that, so know the new one was also a genin it sadly crossed his mind on how much longer he would be around. They were all still doing some pretty dangerous missions, although protection was within the realm of being possible for him. So leaning against the wall as Meilin gave him the floor, he watched him and listened and listened and listened. He really took an introduction quite seriously, hell he knew more about him than everyone on the team at this point. He had some goals which was nice, and some crazy ones for a shinobi but who was he to really judge that shit.

Dagrun would then introduce herself to him and even told a bit about herself, not as much as Mamoru did but he knew a bit more about her. As long as no Taika and Chonobi squabble came about from this, he would go as far as to say this was the nicest they have all been to each other in a while.
Then Aoi's turn came along and right away he could tell something was off but he respected her privacy enough to not read her mind right now. She got right to the point and was done introducing herself, which was none of his concern on how much she told but she wasn't as upbeat as she usually was.

Clearing his throat he would give Mamoru a wave. "And the one finally thankful for another male on the team cause dealing with three women all the time is like preparing for marriage. My name is Madoc Yamanaka, our resident sneak and tracker. These three are more suited for combat while I'm more oriented on doing what most would call, "dirty tricks". Yet I say what they don't know doesn't hurt them." Madoc started off with before holding up a finger and silence took the room for about a second as a voice popped up their minds. "I'm also our secret communicator, able to establish a mind link between us. I can do some more dirtier tricks but that can be explained later." Madoc thought to all of them before resuming speaking normally.
"Other than that don't play cards with me cause I'll always win, I tend to speak my mind so try not to get offended if I seem blunt with you. Other than that…. I can crack some good jokes in situations that don't need it."

Mamoru though he was prepared to meet his team, that he he was prepared. His thoughts were a mess of positive and negative ones. He was still excited to be finally a part of a team, of a real team. He hoped that his teammates would accept him with a warm smile, maybe a pat on the back. Instead, he felt his stomach swirl uncomfortably, his legs shake and his fists clenched so hard his fingers turned white.What did you expect, Mamoru? That they would shower you with handshakes and pats on your back? Wake up!, he thought to himself. Dagrún, Aoi and Madoc were far more experience than he was. They have probably seen things Mamoru could not imagine, experienced things that would shatter him to pieces. You are just a rookie. You have nothing on them … and maybe, you will never catch up to them, he thought to himself. He felt his head was getting hot, and the only thing he wanted to do was to turn tail and run.

Yet, he stood there. The girl, Dagrún, seemed a bit blunt. Her manners seemed to be a bit harsh, but her appearance radiated strength and confidence.Maybe a bit too much of confidence, he thought to himself. He will have to be very careful not to butt heads with her, as he was headstrong himself. But he had to admit that she was surely a sight to behold in the heat of a battle. Mamoru had to admit that he looked forward to the prospect of fighting at her side. Next was Aoi, and it was a disaster for Mamoru. He felt as if his very presence in the room made her sick, enraged her.How do I stay in one team with her? She looks like she wants to strangle me with her own hands, Mamoru thought for himself and he looked towards Meilin-Sensei, to seek support from her. He was prepared to defend himself in the case she lunged at him, and her brief greeting made Mamoru let out a sigh of inner relief. Next was Madoc, and Mamoru felt a small spark of optimism to appear in himself. He was preparing himself for an entirely another person. Mamoru felt Madoc's appearance, the way he talked to him to be calming and even a bit encouraging. Then it happened. He heard his voice in his mind and he instinctively reached toward his back, only to stop his hand mid-motion.He is a Yamanaka after all, he could be even hearing this, he thought to himself and eyed the Yamanaka a bit. He was not sure how to feel about being in a presence of someone who could read his mind as if was an open book. He lowered his arm, but he felt it trembling, driving it away with a clench of the fist.

" W-well … thank you all for the welcome! I … I know that I am that new guy that you probably secretly hate and … well, I am sorry for that. But I am your new teammate and … with time … ", his voice broke and could not finish the sentence. Instead, he turned towards Meilin-Sensei." I did not want to ask outside but can I be filled in on the details of the mission, Sensei?"

Meilin slowly made a start with her supper, watching the interactions going on. She was a bit surprised about a few revelations but just made a mental note. Briefly, Meilin glanced at Aoi. But whether was going through the Cho´s mind, she would keep it to herself.
When Madoc spoke in their mind, Meilin frowned slightly as she subtly shook her head to indicate a sign for him to end the mind-link.

Noticing that Mamoru's confidence was less than how it had begun, Meilin would first clear her mouth.
"Good. We are assigned to guard a target. A feud basically threatens one of the jarls. Or well, leaders. So the opposing feuding parties wants to send a clear message by harming a subject of his." Meilin calmly explained. "We aren't allowed to kill. Break some arms or knock some teeth out? Sure. But any real blood flowing and we essentially make a huge mess out of it."
Breaking a piece of bread, Meilin continued.

"Madoc and I managed to do a round of scouting. We got a good chance to protect our target if the attack happens in the street. If our target visits something like the Temple? Then we might have some trouble." Despite the situation, Meilin seemed rather calm. Turning her attention at Dagrún and Aoi, Meilin would pose a question.
"Did you two learn anything?"

Mamoru listened closely to what Meilin-Sensei told them about the mission. They had to protect a person from any and all potential harm that someone will most likely attempt to impose on them. No killing allowed meaning that Mamoru could not use his sword in any lethal way, or rather not use it at all. He knew his Taijutsu was among the best, bet he felt confident that he could hold his own if he can prepare properly before heading out. After this train of thought, Mamoru turned his attention to his supper and started to eat it, while watching the rest of the team and learning all he could about the mission.

Dagrún was busy with her supper. Thus not noticing the scowl of Aoi. Chewing on a bite, she would throw a sideways glance at Aoi. Whatever the Miyazato had said, it clearly made some impact. If it was good or bad could only be read as Dagrún mumbled something soft to herself and continued to eat.
But she did continue to listen to the exchanges. When Madoc spoke of marriages, Dagrún threw a sideways glance at him.
"You wouldn't look so pretty in a dress though," Dagrún mumbled, audible enough though.
When Madoc breached and entered their minds, the blonde Hon's threw a sideways look at the Yamanaka. Chewing, she would refrain herself from saying something. But her voice did briefly pass along in everybody's mind, thanks to the telepathic link that Madoc had created. Only it would be in fluent and fast Chonobi.

"We learned a few bits," Dagrún spoke up again, after clearing her mouth. "The Allthing has started but nothing yet decisive has been brought out. I reckon that should give us something, at least." Remembering something, Dagrún hesitated. It was clear in the way how she paused before she spoke up.
"We got an invitation from my kin. To attend to one of the events. But I reckon we will better off away from it. We don't want goldilocks drawing some attention." Dagrún said, as she gestured casually at Madoc.
"Though, captain, what will we do? Contact our target? Perhaps see what kind of skill that pup has." Dagrún asked, nodding towards Mamoru's direction with a subtle nod.

The comment of Dagrun caused him to snicker and point at her. "First of all, I can make anything look pretty. Second of all… You win this round worthy adversary." Madoc said before things became a bit hostile to his mind link, with Meilin telling him to cut it off while Dagrun said what he could only assume was a swear word. Rolling his eyes as he disconnected it, he would remember that next time they all wanted mind links or started blabbing about his mind link to random people.

As Dagrun started about learning a few bits, along with an invitation from her family. Which she suggested they stay away from as he would draw attention. He raised his hand to counter argue that but shrugged and lowered it, she certainly wasn't wrong. Yet she suggested seeing what skill Mamoru had to which Madoc would chime in. "I think the less we get involved with the target the better. If they are after him then they are also watching him. So us being in contact might bring up trouble. As for seeing his skill, maybe on our free time we can do that, don't know if we got time for training right now."

Any other day Aoi would have likely jumped off her perch at the window to hit Madoc as his thoughts invaded her mind, but today she sat rock solid as he spoke to everyone. Rolling her eyes at him as Meilin told him to cut it she'd nod along with Dagrún on keeping away from the hanging event. "I second what Dagrun says, we're not here for the Allthing, as much as I would like to learn about it we have a job to do." she said with another nod of her head before turning to look to Madoc and offer a half smile.

"It's definitely in our best interest to stay as unnoticed as possible. Could force them to act if they know that someone knows about them. Otherwise we could get lucky, nothing might happen." she shrugged and turned to Meilin, "I say we keep an eye from a distance, and pray that if our charge is going to get offed we can see it before it happens or if he has personal guards they can hold until we can intervene." she said before raising an eyebrow in question, "Does our charge have personal protection, or well… any protection at all?

Meilin listened to what the veterans of the team said. She nodded to emphasise that she understood. Though as Dagrún hesitated, Meilin's right eyebrow subtly moved up. She would throw a subtle look towards Aoi but not speak what crossed her mind.
"It is a great honour and privilige to be invited to the rituals of the Allthing. We might never again be allowed to set eyes on such an event," Meilin began, "However, we indeed have pressing matters. The fact that nothing has yet come out of the Allthing or that we know off is something that can be both a good and bad sign. Seeing that we can expect hostility already, I will go off on the worst case."

As she spoke, Meilin wandered her gaze over the team.
"Namely that potential opponents of our charge will strike. Much like sending a strong message."
Briefly pausing, Meilin considered their options.
"We will shadow our charge. I will take the high ground and survey from above. Madoc," Meilin shot a look at the Yamanaka, "I want you to establish our communication. Not to mention to pair up with Mamoru. You two will be on the ground."
Shooting a look at Mamoru, Meilin didn't halt.
"I would have loved to see what you are capable off. Both in terms of discipline and combat efficiency. However, much like Madoc stated. That can wait for later. Or perhaps during this mission, you can show how well you swing a fist."
Turning towards Aoi, Meilin flashed a polite smile.
"I want Aoi to be on the rooftops. If things go down fast, she can quickly move in where most help is required."
Then Meilin threw a look at Dagrún.
"Dagrún, I want you to try to move on the target. Try to stay on their sides or take up positions in front of them, while Madoc and Mamoru cover their six's."

Pausing again, Meilin thought about the question that Aoi had posed before.
"He is a thegn. It will be most likely that he will have personal protection. I am not sure of how much men he keeps around all his time. But I expect around a dozen men, at least. Each of them armed and better trained than us." Her voice became sterner as she started to shift her gaze again.
"Our goal is to make sure that we break up any fighting. Not to kill any hostile contact. That is giving into what those who will likely assault want. For blood to flow heavily. Our task isn't to kill. Break a nose or arm if necessary. Kick in some teeth but cause any heavy injury and we are going to see the Allthing. From a perspective we won't enjoy."
Waiting for a moment, Meilin released a sigh.
"We are going to have a busy day tomorrow. Though," Meilin threw a look at Dagrún. "I didn't know you could set tattoos."

Mamoru tried to follow all the conversations that went down in the room, take it all in and to notice things he should avoid when speaking to each of them. So far, he felt the least sympathies towards Dagrún and Aoi. The first was rather blunt without caring about it, and calling him a pup caused the Senju boy to clench his fist. The latter seemed like she could choke Mamoru for looking at her. The young Senju knew he should not judge a book by its cover, and he was not about to do so. He knew that he had to put his personal feelings aside in order to work with his new team, he knew it was going to be difficult, but he also knew that it was necessary. He already decided that he will meditate on the issue before sleeping.Yes, that will help me. I will clear my mind, see things from a new perspective … yes, he thought for himself.

He learned about the goal of this mission - to protect a thegn from any harm. To make matters complicated, they were only to use non-lethal combat moves. This was to avoid any problems with the Allthing, and Mamoru understood that. His name was then brought up several times during the conversation, about his skills and combat efficiency. He felt a bit uneasy about being mentioned this way, but he also felt getting a bit worked up - he was eager to prove that he was not assigned to the team by an accident. He will take this chance, and even if Taijutsu was not his strongest suite, he will not fail.

He then learned that he will be paired up with Madoc and will be operating on street level, with Madoc. Mamoru looked at the Yamanaka and flashed him a sincere smile.He seems to be the only one not to have anything against me … yet, he thought for himself. Getting used to the mind link the Yamanaka can and will establish will be another challenge in itself. Aoi will be watching from the rooftops, and Mamoru glanced a view towards her. She looked rather indifferent today and her most memorable motion was her shrugging. Meilin-Sensei will be overlooking them. He also learned about the opposition and he felt a slight sense of unease. They will be outnumbered and he, personally, will be extremely outranked in skill and experienced.[color]" Understood, Sensei! You can count on me!"[/color] His reply may have been short, but he felt like there was nothing more that had to be said.There is much to prove, and I won't fail, he thought for himself.

Last edited:
Operation: Dark Symptom - Part 3 of 4
Nishi Hirashima, jounin and leader of Team 11 (Republican) | The Republic of Water, at the eastern fringes - image of location |

| The Council decided to send Nishi to lead a team composed out of selected operatives for a dangerous mission. Ranked as an A mission, there are many questions that Nishi and the accompanied operatives have. Questions that, hopefully, will be answered soon. |

Part 1
Part 2

The travel towards the designated area didn't take long. The only hindrance was that the weather started to a shift. Whereas winter would terrorize people with snow and freezing winds on the continents, away from the coast, many islands had to deal with heavy rainfall. Only on some larger islands and highly evaluations, one could be bothered with heavy snowfall within the Republic.

But the group didn't complain as they continued down the cobblestone road towards their destination. After half a day of travelling did they beset upon the sight of the blockade, or what was likely one of the few outposts.
A tall wooden, yet simple, tower was erected. With the protection of a roof, a few soldiers armed with bows had great sight on the surrounding land. Coupled together with the flat terrain and lack of vegetation, there was little chance that a commoner would able to escape the gaze of the soldiers.

A few large tents were spotted at the base of the simple tower. Before Nishi's group were approaching any further, a few figures could be spot on horseback that were approaching them. As instructed by Nishi, the group would halt and hold their hands up in the air as the mounted troops closed in.
The mounted soldiers kept their distance, quickly eyeing the small group, as they somewhat encircled Nishi's team. The obvious statement that they were approaching a blockade was made, together with the firm demand to hold their hands in the air.
A few of the soldiers dismounted as they readied what seemed to be chains and handcuffs.

"How about no?" Yamada grumbled, his hands slightly lowering. The large man's action was responded with various mounted soldiers quickly aiming their weapons at the shinobi team.
"Easy now. No need to cuff us. We come on the orders of the Council to investigate what happened." Nishi said, causing some of the soldiers to hesitate.
Taking a few forwards, Nishi would keep her hands up as she nodded towards one of the soldiers.
"In my left pouch, on my hip, there is a sealed document that details about our business."

Reluctantly, one of the men would move forwards. His caution was most irritating for Nishi, cause the pouring rain and hold her hands up high wasn't certainly making it a comfortable situation.
The soldier made eye contact before his hands moved towards the pouch on her hip. Producing the sealed document, he would take a step back and open it. The brief glance on the paper didn't seem to take away his nerves.

"What does it say?"
"I don't know. I can't read shit."

Releasing a soft sigh, Nishi was happy that they had been brought to the main camp of the blockade. A captain that was in charge went by the name Taisuke. A battle-hard and tried captain, that had earned his current rank for his determination and a rather brutal approach, to his enemies, during the Great War. Apparently, Koide had served alongside Taisuke and despite calling Taisuke by a not so nice term, there was a certain admiration ringing through her tone.
Sure as Nishi was that she could have learned more, there was no need to spend time to indulge in what she could learn about the captain that managed to the blockade. Other matters were more pressing.

The canvas flaps that formed the entrance as the exit of the tent were pushed aside. Revealing a stocky, short man that gave Nishi a stern look.
"You the leader of the shinobi?"
Nishi ignored the sharp tone. Shinobi weren't liked and that had its good reasons. But she didn't care if this man would like her or not.

"Yes," she replied, "I am certain you are aware why my team and I are here. If you would be so kind, I would like to have a report on how the blockade has been till the moment we arrived."

Even in spite of Nishi's polite tone, the captain didn't seem to take the question well. His lips pursed and his eyes narrowed. Placing his hands at his back, he seemed to refrain from sitting at the same table as the woman. In fact, he hadn't moved an inch closer to Nishi than he needed to.
"If the Council or Senate is doubting if my boys are doing a good job, they are welcome to inspect it themselves. The blockade hasn't let a single soul past. Day and night, we are doing patrols and apprehend everybody who dares to close in. Either from in or out." The last was said with a certain tone that made Nishi wonder if he was in a way threatening her.

"We were forced several times to harm those who wouldn't listen to our warnings. But if you saw what we seen, you would likely understand why." The stern pose and voice seemed to shatter a bit as the man shook his head.
"Feel free to go past the blockade. But if we see any symptoms on your kind, we will put you down."

Listening, Nishi frowned slightly.
"And what symptoms might those be, captain?" She decided to ask. Only to see the man giving her a look that surprised her.

"Dreadful symptoms, shinobi."

"Assholes," Yamada said, after which he spat on the ground. The man gave a foul look towards the camp that they were leaving.
A dark grey blanket still covered the sky but it didn't pour rain over the small group of shinobi or the land.

"They are just doing their work," Arai replied, shooting a frowned look at Yamada. "You can hardly blame them for that, Yamada."
Before Yamada could respond, the chuunin spoke up.

"Did they say what we will encounter, captain?" Koide questioned, making the others shift their attention to Nishi.
"Not really. But it clearly spooked the captain." Was Nishi's reply, who had gotten worried as curious what had shocked Taisuke.

The trek through the fields towards the place of dread was rather tranquil. Enya was instructed to use his sensory techniques to keep long ranged watch. But so far, each report was the same: no living human was sensed. Only some small chakra traces but those could belong to small rodents and the like.
That obviously didn't mean that the group could lower their guard. As they reached the perimeter of the village, they were greeted with a morbid silence. And a few spires that seemed to reach above a few roofs. Though suspicious of what those spires could be as none of the group was able to identify what they were, Nishi decided that they would investigate the place step by step.
A certain pressure was tangible as the shinobi moved slow and carefully.
The first buildings that they saw didn't seem odd. The village seemed desolated but as the group entered, they would soon see what had was meant with 'dreadful symptom'.

A small boy was laying on the ground on his side. Judging from his size, the boy couldn't be more than a young kid that was likely about to become a young teen. Whatever his name was, he wouldn't ever start to become more rebellious or grow any older in his current state. For thorns of crystal were protruding out of his body. The sight was anything but comforting.
"We will go into two groups. Yamada and Aria, you scout up there. Enya and Koide, you stick with me."

The members did as they were told. Nearing the corpse carefully, Nishi kept her distance at a healthy two meters. Crouching, she tried to inspect the thorns.
The crystal seemed as it had pierced through flesh and ripped through skin. While she had seen people die from violence, accidents and diseases, the sight in front of her was certainly disturbing.

"Enya," Nishi threw a look over her shoulder at the man. "Can you confirm his death?"
The sensor nin stared at the body. Visibly disturbed by the sight, Enya took a second before he responded on turn.

"Yeah. The boy is dead," Enya mumbled as he would crouch next to Nishi. It was clear by the sight of Enya's handsign that he conducted a search for any chakra traces.
"Or well, I think so." He said, frowning as he seemed to pick up on something.
"How? He is clearly not breathing." Koide said as she approached as well but not as close as either Nishi or Enya.

"When a person dies, their chakra doesn't just stop to exist. It is much like that person's blood doesn't just vanish or their bodies cease to be warm." Enya explained as he took a small step forwards.
"Their chakra lingers around and slowly but surely dissipates. It is a way on how sometimes you can tell how long ago a person died. There was a lady in the old district that used to tell your future by reading your chakra signature. The thing that confuses me is that I can't find a chakra trace in the boy's body. But I can read a faint trace in the crystals."

"In the crystals?" Nishi repeated, both worried and confused. "Stand back. I want to test something."
Drawing a kunai, Nishi waited for both Enya and Koide to make space.
Taking aim, Nishi would throw the kunai. The aftermath of the action would result in the steel clashing against the crystal. The brittle material that was sticking out of the dead boy would shatter a large clump.

"I want to take a piece with us. However, Enya," Nishi threw a glance at the sensory-nin.
Enya wouldn't waste time but starting to probe the piece of crystal with his sensory technique.
"I still can sense a faint presence of chakra, ma'am. Perhaps--"

"Captain, I believe we found something you want to see."

Reactions: Gerontis
Yes, sir, captain, sir!
Empire of Akino | Yakimara heartlands, many miles east of Tatekumo, at a fortified camp | Hiron Hon - Major General of the 3rd Imperial Division, Leader of Team 9 |

Walking through the camp, Hiron was accompanied by Drest. While they walked towards the tent where Hiron had left his team, he couldn't say that he missed the comfort of Konohagakure or any urban centre. Sure, it was nice to have certain conveniences nearby. But being in a camp reminded him once more that he had a purpose. That he mattered to people. A certain mixture of emotions that brought back some memories of serving with the Hokage Guard of the Third.
Walking through the camp, Hiron mused some more about the old Hokage Guard.

Compared to the shinobi that he had commanded and served within the last few years, they could barely match themselves to the small group that Hisoka Uchiha led. The efficiency, the discipline and skill were of a level that could be described as unmatched, once he attempted to compare it to some folk that he had seen in action. Perhaps war was bad for one's safety and health but it had bred some of the finest people that he had the honour of serving with.
It was a damn shame, however, that Sakamoto went out first.
What had become of Meisa? Where did Hisoka go?
The thought of being the only remaining wasn't that much of a comforting thought.

Approaching the tent, Drest would wait outside as Hiron would move to move the canvas - that formed the entrance and exit of the tent - aside.
"All of you, outside. In a line."
The instruction was given with the usual sternness. Moving back to allow the members of his team as Kyoi and Karma to form up. The moment that they were exiting the tent, Drest already started to observe and eye them.
"This is Drest, one of the commanding captains within the 12th. Somebody that has served with distinction, starting out as a genin."

The captain remained silent as he moved his gaze over each of the presented folk that Hiron had brought to the camp.
"That one," he started, speaking in Yakimara, "is too short. Those two have barely any mass to them. And I don't like the other two, not for one bit." He finished, all speaking in a calm fashion.

"Mhm, I understand," Hiron said in return, flipping to Yakimara. "They aren't exactly the rugged types that would make a fine addition. Though tad careful," Hiron nodded towards the direction of Shikaroku, "that one can understand what you're saying. The little guy doesn't eye intimidating but he certainly proved his worth. Nara stock."

The eyes of Drest narrowed slightly. Settling his gaze on Shikaroku, there wasn't any sign that the captain approved of the Nara. "I hope you're not a philosopher boy." The phrasing went together with a near hostile tone.
"She," Drest bluntly pointed at Tomiko,"can't serve. Too short and I doubt she will has any skills that make me reconsider."

Hiron flashed a look towards Shikaroku, though very subtly gesturing the boy to remain silent. Once Drest began about Tomiko, Hiron shifted his attention to the short Hyuuga. He figured that Tomiko and Kyoi would be on Drest's bad side, right from the start. "She has some skill in archery and stealth." Hiron began.

"Have you seen her performing good feats of either?" Drest asked. His question was met with silence as Hiron figured that this wasn't going to be something that he could convince Drest with.
"She can go back to her 'civilized' home," he said before switching to Taika. "You lot, this is your home now. You are part of my beloved unit. In the bit of time that you will be here, you will be taught discipline and useful skills. You will learn what it is to endure without urban comfort."

Once finished, Drest turned half towards Hiron. "I will leave the rest to you, general." Walking away, Drest would soon vanish into the bustling camp.
Sighing, Hiron hooked his thumbs behind his belt as he almost lazily moved his gaze over the team. Who probably were wondering what was going to happen next.
"Tomiko, you will soon be sent towards the eastern side of the Empire. You are going to deliver an important message to an important person. Rest of you," Hiron briefly paused, "will serve actively within the 12th. Under the command of captain Drest. It won't be easy. The way that we took to get here is going to be like a dream to what you will experience from tomorrow on."

He paused, wagering silently that they probably were against this. That they hadn't sign up for this. That this wasn't what shinobi were meant to do. They hadn't seen true war yet nor could likely comprehend what it meant to serve. Briefly, he gazed at Kyoi. Perhaps she could but he wouldn't give somebody any special treatment.
"Soon, we will be going to the eastern continent. Your time here will be used to train and drill within captain Drest's unit. To learn what you're going to do, to learn Yakimara to communicate with those serving in the 12th. And most of all," his tone became sharper, "to earn your paycheck for real this time. Dismissed," Hiron then gestured Tomiko to follow him.

A small group of riders was present. As members of the 9th Brigade, they were all Taika. Serving as dedicated messengers and scouts. Giving Tomiko a sealed scroll, Hiron would explain once more what she was supposed to do.
"You will travel with this small group towards the east. They will know where to take you. That scroll is meant for the colonel of the 13th brigade and nobody else. If something happens and you risk being taken, then destroy the scroll."

Then Hiron watched as Tomiko was placed upon a horse and guided by the small group. Half turning around, he breathed in slowly.
There was a lot of work to be done.

Reactions: ChromeHound