[fieldbox=Who to pick?, #4dffff]
Amegakure, the capital of the Rain Province.
Empire of Akino.
The Amekage Office.

A collab between Sketching and Aliceee.

Summary:
Kiyomi holds some talks with the candidates for the position of Amekage. A position that shouldn't be granted just to anybody. For this reason, Kiyomi holds the talks right the day after the last feast. She then makes her decision and starts preparation for what is to come.

She felt like her head was going to burst. A heavy sigh escaped Kiyomi's lips as she narrowed her eyes. Sitting behind the desk of the Amekage, she was once more studying the profiles of various candidates. The record as the profile of Eiji Emiya was laying beside what seemed to be a chaotic mess of papers and scrolls. Pausing for a second, Kiyomi threw a sideways look at the name on the profile.

Eiji Emiya.

It would have been so easy to elect the man as the next Amekage. The man who could keep a large portion of the western borders of the Empire safe. She knew and could trust him. For he had Hiron's respect and was a friend of Aiko. Not to mention that he had done so much to keep the entire province running when Ryoku had stepped down and Hoshi basically broke down.
But now Eiji had lost an arm and Kiyomi had to pick another successor. Where the position of Amekage is administrative, it is also the position that was linked to leading the 4th Imperial military division. Even in spite of Eiji being an experienced combatant and inspiring leader, that didn't do much to negate his disability of fighting.

Groaning softly Kiyomi tried to think which of the candidates appealed the most to her and why. A few were already pushed from being potential pickings. Either due to lack of political, administrative or military experience. Or because she had received intel on them desiring the position more for their own gain. Which was obviously not something she was looking for in an Amekage.

There was the idea of promoting somebody outside the Rain province. Having enough trustworthy people, Kiyomi doubted that it would go well. Best picking in the eyes of the locals would that they were led by one of their own. Or perhaps, one that they considered as one of their own? Kiyomi's gaze fell on one of the profiles. It had worked in Eiji's case, perhaps...

[spoili]

Sitting behind the desk, Kiyomi had her elbows resting on the furniture. Several files were stacked in a small pile while the door closed. These interviews were draining her of energy and will to be any longer than she needed in Amegakure. The interviews with the candidates for the next Amekage weren't all dull but her thoughts were somewhere else. Where she could already scratch a few candidates to be even considered, she would have to still finish one more interview. Then consider who she would actually promote as the Amekage of the Rain Province. With the prior interview done, Kiyomi would hold a small break. Taking the time to eat and drink, she tried to keep her mind focused on the upcoming interview. Already she had studied the file of the next candidate. Chika Suzuhara, was her name. One of the younger candidates but Kiyomi figured that age wasn't the prominent factor to base her decision on. There were some attributes that were left to be desired. But that was the case with each candidate. Some had both the experience and history of knowing statemanscraft. But didn't have any military background or expertise. Then there were those who actually had a decent military background and service record. But not the desired statemanscraft or experience.

Emptying her mug, filled with water, Kiyomi sighed out loud. If there was one matter that really made this Chika a curious subject, was the Amegakure Covert's Operation Division. It was in 'reality' a non-existent branch of the ANBU that operated in the Rain Province. Then again, so many units and divisions were at work, that, on the other hand, were non-existent on official paper and what not. As Kiyomi considered some things, the break was over. Signalling to one of the Sworn Swords at the door that he could open it, a sign that the last interview could start, Kiyomi leaned back in her seat.

Behind the opening doors stood readily the young woman in question. As she took her first steps into the room, her features grew clearer. The faint freckles on her face came into the light, complementing her orange head of hair. A familiar emerald hue dyed her eyes, almost mistakable for yellow. She held her posture straight and proper until she stopped some distance away from Kiyomi and bowed her upper body deeply, with one leg bending behind the other. "Your Majesty," she spoke, her accent betraying her background.

Eyeing Chika, Kiyomi remained silent for a moment. Slightly her right eyebrow perked up, only for a smile to dawn on Kiyomi's lips. Gesturing subtly to the chair in front of the desk, Kiyomi spoke up. "Miss Suzuhara, please. Take a seat." The teen locked her eyes on the woman. There wasn't anything that indicated that this woman was a capable ANBU leader. Then again, how many times had looks deceived even the sharpest of observers? "I think we can cut past some of the formalities. As you know, this talk will determine if I find you worthy to succeed Ryoku, the Third Amekage. So my question is, what makes you able?"

Chika rose back up to take her seat across the empress. She kept her eyes on hers, watching with interest. She placed her hands on top of one another on her knee as Kiyomi started speaking again. She seemed to be taken aback by the question, if even only for a moment. A small smile appeared on her lips as she spoke up after a brief consideration. "I'm sorry, Your Majesty," she started, "but I'm afraid I would not presume to have the answer to such a question." She squeezed her clasped hand tightly as she spoke. "I could not claim to envy the position more than many of my more... ambitious colleagues. The only qualification I could meaningfully attest for is my wish to see Amegakure thrive. To that end, I'm happy to serve whatever role I must. Be it of the leader or the soldier, Your Majesty." She offered a kind smile as she continued to watch Kiyomi.

"Hm."

Kiyomi kept her eyes locked on Chika. It remained silent for a few seconds as the neutral expression of the younger woman didn't potray anything of her thoughts. "You have certain qualities though. You know what the military is like. Judging from your record, I think I can somewhat assume that you know that you'll need to make decisions. Such as how to handle unrest and civil matters." Kiyomi's eyes slightly narrowed as her tone remained even. "The previous jounin commander tried to settle the riots and issues with bringing up a democratic voting on laws and measures. It goes against the laws of the realm. Basically, my laws. What would you do if you were pressed into a similar position like that? Would you," Kiyomi gestured with her right hand, a small wave, "Discard the imperial laws to settle some civil unrest? Or would you not stray from them, even if it means that civil unrest can get worse?"

The woman took a brief moment to take a breath before speaking. "No more so than I ever have as a private citizen or my years in service, your majesty," she responded. "I believe in the wisdom of the common man more than most, but my belief has little relevance as long as the current method of lawmaking is in place. I would be quite the hypocrite if I enforced rule of law and broke it in the same breath."

The answer seemed to somewhat please Kiyomi. The hint of a smile appeared on the teen's lips as she leaned back in her seat. Her eyes still locked on Chika while her hands folded together on the desk. "It isn't going to be easy to lead the entire province. While Ryoku did an amazing job there are many things he delegated to lesser able. How can I be certain that you won't disappoint me when I appoint you as the next Amekage?" Kiyomi decided to ask, her right eyebrow slightly perking up.

"I can't think of any way to make such an assurance beside my own record," Chika said apologetically. "However, I can give you the assurance that I have the best interest of the Rain Province at heart. I can only hope to be a leader worthy of her people, your majesty."

The smile of before was gone as Kiyomi simply nodded after the answer. Keeping her gaze locked on Chika for a moment, Kiyomi seemed to ponder about another question. However, she decided against it. "I know enough for now then. I thank you for coming." The young monarch said as she subtly gestured with a small wave that the other woman could take her leave. The door would be opened by one of the two Sworn Swords, further marked it clear that the talk was over.

The woman stood up from her seat and bowed low. "Your majesty." She stood up straight once more before turning to walk towards the door.
[/spoili]

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Reporting ma'am!, salmon]
Rini Yoto
Genin of Team 22 - Amegakure | Amegakure, the southern part of the province capital.

Rushing down the street, Rini hoped she wasn't too late. She had been out training and had only received the note once she had gotten back. The painful aching was still present but it was becoming less troublesome to move and actually do something. The site where the team had to rally was a known one to her. It was where her mother took her once every two years. She was then allowed to look and pick something she wanted for her birthday. The memory was coming back and almost caused Rini to collide against a cart. Able to swiftly manoeuvre herself, Rini heard a man cursing and shouting. A look thrown over her shoulder, Rini waved back to the shouting owner of the cart.

Arriving in the street, Rini took a sharp turn to the right. The fact that Etsu-sensei was rallying the team could mean that they had a mission or perhaps a team training. Either one was more than fine with Rini as she hoped to prove herself more than she had done before. Biting her lower lip, she was hoping that Kitana had also recovered more from her injuries. The genin's hands clenched into fists as she kept running. Next time, she wouldn't allow Kitana to get hurt in a skirmish.

Spotting two known figures up ahead, Rini would gradually lower her speed as raising her left arm to wave. "I am here!" Closing in the distance, Rini would make a short bow towards Etsu. While panting lightly, Rini turned half towards Kitana. The lips of the genin parted, clearly wanting to say something. But she quickly cast her gaze aside for a moment.
"Good to see you, Kitana!" Rini managed to say as she flashed a slightly nervous smile towards Kitana.
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Reminiscence, #2ECCFA]
Katsu Uchiha | Nowhere | 13th Brigade​

A cloudless night shrouded the sky of Konohagakure. The stars shimmered clearly and beautifully even as lanterns decorated and lit up the streets. The crowd was completely silent in the narrow, busy street. A child stood in the middle of the street, his jade green eyes almost completely covered by his dark brown hair. On both his sides, a middle aged man and woman grasped his hands. They walked down the path as a murmur starts growing around them. The child slowly grew taller over time, up until his hands fell empty to his sides. The man and woman had disappeared along with the crowd. The stars had gone out, and the lanterns, dimmed. The murmur started to grow louder as the ground started to become muddier. As the child lifted his foot, he felt a brief breeze across his legs. He took another step and the breeze grasped his ankle tight. He tried to force his foot free. He looked down to see what was stopping him, only to see an oddly familiar, blob of a face and its fat fingers wrapping around his ankle. With a hateful cry, he kicked the face in and started to run. As another hand reached out, he fell flat on the mud. He could see a new face. Much younger. Another appeared, an old gruff man. The man who killed the pup. The man who stood guard at the rainy village. The little girl in the shipping container. The peasant. The bandit. The murderer. The warrior. As more and more faces came into view, he felt his body get dragged down deeper and deeper. He tried to escape, crying and screaming, but his voice quickly drowned as the black liquid filled his lungs. As his ears sunk, the murmur turned into rumbling. Just as the life was snuffed out of the boy, his reality shattered.

Katsu flew up in a cold sweat, sitting in his bedroll, out of breath. Tanpo lifted his head to look at the young soldier curiously. Katsu caught his breath for a few moments, trying to understand where he was. As he slowly came to distinguish between reality and dream. After a few minutes passed, he got up to his feet and lazily pushed past the cloth of the tent. It still seemed to be dark out. After a moment's hesitation, he turned to the direwolf with a meak, forced smile. "I'm going to go for a brief walk, bud." Tanpo whimpered quietly before tossing and turning. Katsu grabbed his hoodie and stepped outside into the glaring moonlight.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Home Again, #9A2EFE]
Zhang Hsiao | Outpost | Sacred Sword​

Hsiao sat in a corner in the commander's tent, checking her arrows as the old man and a couple of his compatriots stood over a map, moving toy soldiers across mountains and tundras as if the figurines did not represent their people, and the treks they planned were nothing but strolls through fields of flowers.

"Our guests have proven to be quite resourceful," Qian spoke. "Our riders have encountered a couple of their scouting parties. They're headed further east." He looked at the red-headed woman across him on the table.

"They've been advancing quite rapidly," the woman said with an amused grin. "Though I'm not sure if we can attribute that solely to their ability. Perhaps the cause is more the lack-thereof on the part of the greeter." Her biting gaze fell on the youngest man in the tent. The man's timid grimace turned into a rageful glare. He shot to his feet. "How dare you! You filthy--" He froze as he felt a sudden weight falling over his mind.

"That's enough from the both of you," boomed the eldest. The man slammed his cane on the table, knocking over a few of the figurines. After a moment's pause, he turned to the young commander in disgust. "It's not the place of the incompetent to look down on his comrades, Wu." He only briefly glanced over at the woman before turning to Hsiao, to Wu's dismay. "Hsiao."

Hsiao looked up from her arrowhead to the man before letting out a heavy sigh. She lazily lifted her feet off the crate and walked towards the table. "You know the area. I want you to track their movements. Take two others with you," he said, looking over at Qian for a moment. Hsiao looked over to Wu, making him tense up in disgust. "I'll go gather my people, then," she said, turning to the old man. "Fetch me when you want us to go, uncle Shun." Qian shook his head in frustration as the young woman left the tent.
[/fieldbox]

Neji Uchiha
Konohagakure Chunin
Team 8

Neji would sit by the fire that he had made as he would start to open his rations pack. Soon enough the rest of the squad was around the fire as everyone tried to warm up and get something to eat. There was not much talking going on, which Neji was okay with, it was nice to be able to just think to himself for a while as he continued to eat his rations. Once he was finished he put his pack down as a pillow and stretched out a little bit so that he could get some sleep before it would be his turn to take guard.

Soon enough the squad would be on the move as the next day would arrive, They would continue to travel through the hidden rain province for the next two days. There was nothing suspicious to report as it was a fairly peaceful two days of travel before they reached a fortification. When they arrived they were able to get some horses and would use them for the rest of the trip. It had been a while since Neji had ridden a horse so it took him a little while to get used to being on one again. Aiko sensei would help them out giving them tips and such to help and soon enough Neji was riding fine.

Soon they were out of the rain province and made it to the Uchiha clan lands. Neji had visited these lands when he was younger as his family had come out here to visit relatives. Though he would have loved to stop in a city, he knew that they didn't have the time so he refrained from asking Aiko sensei about it. Soon enough after some more travel in rough terrain and cold weather as they got the eastern part of the Fire province they reached their destination.

They had arrived at the city of Maghnild the so called "capital" of the Hon clan. Aiko would speak to her three students before they entered the city. She told Neji to not use his sharingan or his surname while they were in the city. This made Neji a bit nervous about being in this city. The Uchiha and Hon were definitely not good friends and or allies, while they weren't at all out war with each other, the two clans though both part of the Empire of Akino, were not on great terms with each other. Neji nodded his head "Yes sensei I understand." She then went on to say that Kazumo would be in charge while Aiko was gone, though they were allowed to roam the city they just needed to be careful.

Soon enough they were inside the city. The city felt like an entirely different country to Neji. Most of the people he heard talking were talking in Chonobi and all of the signs and such were in that language as well. They soon pulled up to a building that had a sign that Neji couldn't read, it did have a picture of a boar drinking out of mug. "The Thirsty Boar," Aiko sensei would say to Neji. Neji would slightly blush as he nodded his head. Aiko sensei would head inside as Neji held the reigns of her horse. A few minutes passed by and Aiko sensei came back outside with some people that seemed to work at the establishment. Aiko explained that they would be staying at this inn and that they each had their own room, which was music to Neji's ears.

Soon the three students would walk inside and they were greeted by an elderly woman. She was very energetic and nice and would tell them that her name was Borghildr but that they should call her auntie because thats what everyone else eventually called her. She would bring them into a room and they would have food served to them. The stew and warm bread were incredible, though Neji was just happy to have a warm meal, he probably would have been happy with just about anything. Once they were all done eating they would be taken to their rooms. They were told that they would have to give up their weapons with Neji did but he wasn't thrilled about it.

Borghildr would explain all the rooms to the three students before they would each head to their rooms which were next to each other. Neji would enter his room and shut his door behind him as he would set down his bag. Neji smiled at the spacious room. He would go over and sit on the bed for a few moments before the wooden bath would come calling to him. He would fill up the bath with hot water, he would get undressed and then get into the tub. The hot water felt great as Neji would sink into the tub letting the hot water soak all over his body soothing his aches and pains that he had from their battles in Amekagure and their travel to Magnhild. After washing up he would get out and dry off.

Neji would throw on what he would wear to sleep and then get out some paper he had in his bag. He would start to write a letter that he planned on sending back home to his family. His letter would talk about his experiences in Amekagure and the fact that he was now in Magnhild. He would not finish his letter as he set it on the cabinet next to his bed before he would head to bed himself. He was exhausted and was not sure what would be coming in the days ahead while he was in Magnhild, but he wanted to be ready for whatever would be coming.

Reactions: Lesli
[fieldbox=Alley meeting, burlywood]
Hanaguro - the provincial capital of the River province.
In the western side of the city.
Team 4.

A collab between Frosty, Zany, Nimy and Oety

Summary:
Team 4 moves towards the large Fire Temple within Hanaguro, located in the western part of the large city. Moving to the temple, they meet up with two Sworn Swords. Who have a request for the team.

[spoili]
Meilin subtly nodded as a response to Madoc's reply. She would also note the last comment of Madoc but didn't want to think that the Yamanaka was defenceless. Perhaps they should once spar to see what each of them was capable of? It would be beneficial to know that for future situations and operations.
As Aoi stated she could conceal the iron, Meilin would once more nod subtly. "Okay, I will trust you on that then," she responded, flashing a smile towards the other chuunin.

When Aoi seemed to ponder about her options, Meilin could think of several but would let Aoi pick one out herself. If anything, Meilin didn't want to decide everything for them. Already she found that she was taking up the initiative a bit too much. Hopefully, Madoc and Aoi wouldn't have issues with that.
"Good. Try to expand the backstory a bit. And we can easily notify each other when we are going at it."
Throwing a look at the approaching sight of the western part of Hanaguro, Meilin was hoping that they wouldn't encounter any hindrances or difficult issues that could hamper their intelligence search.

Well a caravan hand would work he supposed, although it still felt risky. It would be a temple to that felt unnerving to him. Well as long as each of them did their part, they shouldn't be fully expected. Maybe this could be a fruitful trip for them, get some undercover intel and maybe even something else from it. He rubbed his side from where Aoi gave him a jab and made a mental note for that later.

Disembarking from the dock, the team would head towards the Fire temple. It wasn't a difficult find as the large complex was hard to miss from where they had disembarked. Once nearing one of the gates of the temple, Meilin frowned. She wondered where the guards of the temple were. Wasn't it a holy site? Stopping, Meilin wavered as she shot a look at Aoi.
"Anything that seems odd to you?" Meilin decided to ask, her left hand casually leaning on the pommel of her longsword.

As they disembarked from the ship and made their way to the Fire temple, proved easy enough to find. Would be sad if they couldn't find something close to the docks anyway. Meilin seemed to spot that there wasn't any guards to which Madoc would also shoot a look at Aoi. "Yeah, think now would be best to inform us on what we shouldn't do while here."

Aoi stepped off the small boat once again in awe of her surroundings, although the docks were much like the ones that they had initially embarked on this side of the River offered a completely different atmosphere, although why she wasn't too sure, Aoi enjoyed the experience nonetheless. Following Meilin to the Fire Temple, Aoi would find herself staring wide-eyed at the Temple itself, she'd heard that the Fire Temple in Hanaguro was one of the largest, if not the largest in the Empire, but it caught her off guard just how large it truly was. The walls seemed fit to repel invaders and the large gates at the front seemed sturdy enough to withstand a full on siege, admittedly Aoi knew little about either topic but she had read of them before and had an imagination to go with it.

She stopped with the group, glancing back to the gates as they stood, "Guards?" she thought for a moment before looking back at the front gate, "Oh no, there aren't usually guards at Fire Temples… Normally just a Priest at the gate asks that you hand over any weapons if you have them..." she paused as she looked at them both, "What sort of people show up to your guys's Temples that require armed guards to stop them…?" she asked jokingly of them.

"As well, I think that your fears are un---" Aoi was interrupted as a silver haired woman would walk directly between the group of chuunin even managing to shoulder check Meilin as she passed, "Excuse me." Aoi spoke apologetically as if she had gotten in the way as the woman passed them, seeming to nod as if she meant to be followed before she disappeared around a corner and into what looked to Aoi to be an alley

Meilin found herself surprised. Why didn't they employ guards? She couldn't imagine any shrines or important sites of her own faith or people without a security. The joke that Aoi made wasn't perhaps done in a spiteful fashion but it was enough to colour Meilin's cheeks with a light red taint. Biting her lower lip, Meilin decided to not react on it as she wondered about it as well. And it just made her only more frustrated as she doubted her own faith.

But much of her frustration vanished. Meilin halted her movement as she was bumped by the shoulder. Turning around, she was in the nick of time to see and recognise the silver haired woman. The face of Meilin seemed to pale as her right hand trembled for a second, only to be clenched.
"Guys, we got either a problem or..."
Meilin cut herself off for a second. Trying to compose herself she tried to reason with herself what 'she' was doing here. Remembering the last time that she had worked with 'Rabbit', it had certainly been anything but a casual mission.
"I need you both to be vigilant. Time to meet up with a... acquaintance of mine. Keep your names and matters for yourself. This 'acquaintance' is, at least, jounin level." That having said, Meilin would nod towards the alley before starting to walk.
So this temple didn't care for protection? Well that's one way to invite all the possible people with bad intentions. Like Zealots. It didn't matter to him he supposed, he was keeping a knife on him no matter what went down. Yet before anything could happen this rather rude silver haired woman bumped quite purposely into Meilin it seemed. Everyone seemed to be picking on her in this city, first the pocket thief and then this random lady. Only…. Meilin seemed to know her? Well seemed like they had a distraction as they were meeting up with an acquaintance of hers, yet to keep intel on themselves on the downlow. "Lovely." Madoc kept it simple as he would tag behind Meilin.

Aoi was beyond confused at what had just taken place in front of her eyes. That random woman, Meilin knew her? "Acquaintance?" she asked burning with further questions, but it didn't seem she'd have the time to ask anything of Meilin as the chuunin too made her way to the alley. Sticking close behind Madoc, Aoi found herself scanning the surroundings of the alley as they entered. Trash, backdoors, and far smaller alleys branched off in multiple directions on either side of the alley, and ahead of them was the silver haired woman, "So I take it, you're going to take on the job of talking " she asked as she leaned out from behind Madoc and gave a timid wave to the silver haired woman.

Suzu waited in the alleyway patiently, she was pretty sure Meilin was bright enough to have recognized her, but there was always a chance that it didn't work out how she had intended it, leaving a slightly flustered and confused chuunin in the street to continue about her business. She waited only a second longer before Meilin, and what Suzu could only assume were the rest of her team rounded the corner and entered the alley with Meilin leading. She knew Meilin, could reasonably trust the girl, but the other two were completely new faces. If Meilin trusted them though, Suzu would be inclined to as well.

"Meilin, it's been awhile." Suzu said as she noticed the blue haired girl hiding behind the male of the group give her a small wave. Suzu smiled and waved back, "I hope I'm not interrupting anything too important, but we have some actionable intelligence that we need some help moving on." she stated cutting right to the important part, "If you are willing to help, it'd be more than welcomed, although you aren't obligated to Meilin." Suzu paused and motioned to the other two as if an afterthought, "You two are welcome to help as well." she said calmly.

"Yeah but I doubt either of you will envy me if you knew only more. Let us get it over fast and then return to our own affairs. Just stay watchful."
Meilin wanted to throw a look over her shoulder, making sure that both Madoc and Aoi were following in tow. She doubted that it would be great to inform them that they were dealing with a Sworn Sword or even more. When entering the alley, Meilin's right hand would move to the hilt of her short sword at her. It was far from feasible that she would be able to fight off against Rabbit or likely that they would come to blows. But Meilin already figured that in this profession there wasn't much room for trust.

When Rabbit addressed Meilin, the latter simply returned a subtle nod. Upon seeing Rabbit wave, Meilin shot a glare over her shoulder. Turning her attention back to Rabbit, Meilin remained silent.
"Let keep it simple," Meilin said at first, her tone being calm, "We were handling some affairs. So unless you can provide us with more information or reasons then I don't see a reason to linger around." The Cho frowned slightly.

"Madoc, 'check' her. I want to know if we are dealing with just her or more people," Meilin instructed the Yamanaka through the telepathic bond. "And I don't really feel like haggling. Nor to do we really have any time for that."

Watching from behind Madoc, Aoi couldn't help but smile a bit wider when the silver haired woman waved back to her. But something seemed off, Meilin was visibly upset with the fact that they were meeting the woman here, and seemed anxious to leave. Aoi thought for a moment before addressing the other two, "I feel that we should perhaps try and distance ourselves from whatever this is, you seem upset about it Meilin, so it may be best if we just forgo this completely." Aoi offered as she continued to watch the woman ahead, offering only a quick smile to offer to help as well.

With a small smile forming across her lips as Suzu noticed that Meilin's hand was rested on the hilt of her sword, Suzu began to talk once more, "I guess it depends on what your mission is then Meilin." she took a step toward the girl as she had her back turned to her, "My acquaintance and I were investigating a possible lead in the temple and have found something... interesting." she said to Meilin. She thought for a moment on just how much she should divulge, but decided to keep some of the less professional aspects of what had taken place the night before to herself.

"There's a certain Priest in the Temple, we're under the impression that he may be a Zealot and may be involved with the reason that the Temple is rumored to be onguard recently, might even be some sort of a leader for the Zealots that might be infiltrating the Temple, at least that's my bet, considering how against talking to us he was." she said as she simply watched the group in front of her, "In order to corner him we require a few more sets of hands, people to assist or watch our backs as we go in." she motioned to the three, "If you'd be willing to assist, it'd be greatly appreciated." she stated calmly as she eyed over the three.

As Suzu and Meilin spoke to each other, in a rather direct manner to each other, another figure would arrive behind the team in silence. Ino wouldn't show any sign of hostility towards anyone, only look towards Rabbit for a brief moment and sign to her that they are clear for the moment before turning to walk away, seemingly to keep a further watch from a different spot as she did not feel it would be right to draw too much attention to the little alley.

Before the talking started to ensue Meilin would request him to keep a check on her mind to which Madoc would fold his arms as he kept his gaze upon the woman. "I'm offended you even asked." Madoc would say through their telepathic link as he would glance at Aoi who was staying behind him. She wanted to get out for Meilin's well being which was nice of her. As he focused his gaze back on Suzu, as Meilin spoke to her and was informed of this priest that possibly could be a zealot leader. It seemed odd that two jounin levels couldn't do simple infiltration. What did they do to not make the man wanna speak to them?

As he was looking at Suzu his eyes moved backwards past Aoi as he smiled. "Where you going hot stuff? You are allowed to participate in these talks." Madoc said resting his eyes on the walking away Ino.

"Bit late for that, Aoi. We will see what we can get out of this or we will scram."
Meilin threw a look over her shoulder to see if Aoi was doing okay. Only to spot a random woman to appear behind the team. More on high alert than before Meilin turned her attention back to Rabbit.

"Why thank you for the information," Meilin began as she lowered her right hand, removing it from the handle of her weapon. "But I doubt you will need us. You and acquaintance probably don't need our help as much as you think. But how certain are you that this respective priest is a zealot? How much information did you get from him?"

Suzu took a moment, going over the conversation they had had with Priest Hitaro in the garden. His unwillingness to answer anything they asked, his animosity towards them, the maliciousness of him refusing to answer anything and even yelling at the women to leave him alone. It all struck her as something that a Priest, of which the head of the Temple had allowed them to talk with, would be so full of animosity over their simple questions about the construction taking place on the Temple grounds. "It's more a lack of evidence that has me concerned." Suzu stated as she opened her hands showing them empty for effect, "You of all people know how well these Zealots hide in plain sight Meilin, do you really need solid proof that he's a Zealot?" she asked Meilin as she remembered the sights of the person changing from an average human being into an Other in front of her eyes.

She shook her head at the thought, "If this is anything like what you and I have already encountered…" she paused, "If it is worse then that." she raised her hand up varnishing two fingers held up, "Two of us may not be enough to deal with it and keep anyone caught up in it safe at the same time." she stated, trying to appeal to the girls softer side.

She barely took a step away and she heard Madoc's remark "I trust my partner to tell you everything you need to know. But if you want me to stay and verify matters, then fine." Ino responded with a somewhat cold tone before turning back towards Team 4 and Suzu. She remained standing between the team and the alley exit, eyes closed as she kept her attention on the noises around. Just because she was wanted off the better spot she found prior did not mean she wanted to let anyone sneak up on them.

Meilin remained silent for a second when Rabbit responded back. The silver haired woman question almost had provoked an instant "No," from Meilin. Without any solid proof, they could be killing an innocent person. Creating more chaos and mayhem. Which was in line what the Zealots wanted for Akino, from what she knew of their goals. Her left hand trembled slightly upon being reminded of the last encounter with the zealots. And those beasts like things.
Then the woman of before responded to Madoc, causing Meilin to throw a look at the brunette haired woman.

"Better watch your tone when speaking to my team member," Meilin replied back. She was certain that she had not much pressure or weight, in a manner of saying, over the brunette woman. But she wasn't just going to let somebody walk over them or talk down to them.
Turning her attention to Rabbit, Meilin continued.
"We will need solid proof to confirm that the suspect is a zealot," Meilin said, trying to keep her voice stable and firm.
"If we are going to do this, I demand a contribution afterwards. Not to mention that we will do this in a way that my team feels confident about. But we won't plan any violence towards somebody unless we are honestly certain that he or she is a zealot. And I do have a plan to figure it out without drawing too much attention to myself or the team."

With the woman staying, Madoc gave a smile before turning his attention back to Suzu where the situation didn't seem to be progressing very well. Well for the silver haired woman at least. They had no reason to go along with any of this, and upon reading some thoughts it seemed wise to not let those two even speak if they did join forces. Meilin was being polite and stated a fair demand to the woman, which was when Madoc's voice would go off in Meilin's head. "I'm not getting much intel besides some construction going on in this temple. They asked this guy, who didn't comply with the random question. The situation got more hostile from there. If we do go along with them. The silver haired one doesn't speak to anyone."

Aoi continued to hide behind Madoc, her anxiety growing as the talk between Meilin and the silver haired woman seemed to only grow more and more tense. "Are we sure about this? I really don't think this is appearing to be something that we should do…" she thought to the two as Meilin stated her intentions for if they did help at all. Set their own stage? Was Meilin dictating the terms of the agreement with this woman? Would it work at all with someone that Meilin had warned them was a problem the first moment she recognized her? Aoi continued to listen placing a hand at Madocs back as she did, clasping down on his clothes as the tension only grew in front of them.

Suzu couldn't help but to be slightly tired of the situation at hand, it seemed Meilin wasn't going to go along with the plan, and her teammate and Ino were already at odds which set the girl off as well, "I apologize for her, she's got a lot to deal with right now. She'll hold her tone around your team Meilin. Isn't that right partner?" she said to Ino, implying that there wasn't really a choice for her in the matter.

Suzu turned back to Meilin, "If the contribution is something I can make happen, then consider it a deal." she stated confidently, "As well, we don't plan on assaulting this man, simply catching him with his guard down outside of the Temple to ask anymore questions. The problem is if he is a Zealot, we need to make sure he doesn't have backup or someone who can run off and tell the others that he has been taken under our custody. Or worse, we may need some backup if he proves stronger than the old man he is, like one of those things from before." she stated, hoping to set Meilin's concerns at ease. She tilted her head at the girl, "What sort of plan do you have then?" she asked.

"Got it. Stay on watch, Madoc," was Meilin's reply to the Yamanaka. It was a bit disheartening that Madoc couldn't snuff too much information. "But it is okay. Don't worry too much Aoi," Meilin further responded through the telepathic bond. "We won't do anything that will get us into trouble."

"Okay. Then I suppose that we have a deal. But as far as my idea? I like to keep some details to myself. I will just snoop around without giving a reason for him to suspect me digging through anything of his possessions. You and your partner will just need to keep watch of the perimeter of the temple. Preferably without being noticed by anybody else. If you two are able to do so as we will do the searching." Meilin replied.

Madoc wouldn't say anything back to Meilin, as he was always going to keep searching for anything of use. Yet it needed a spark to get something good going. Meilin seemed to have it under control however, these talks anyway. She had to make it known though, they asked them about this which means they need to listen to them. Even if they were their higher ups, what they say is what happens. Madoc shot a quick look to Aoi who was clutching at his clothing rather tightly, not really doing so well in what looked like a sketchy situation.

Suzu forced as a genuine a smile as she could muster to Meilin, she and her team were a necessary step to keeping things tied in a nice knot as well as she could, but to think Meilin would so quickly step up to set the terms of the agreement, and set two Sworn Swords on the sidelines at that. She was somewhat pleasantly surprised with the young woman. It had to take a lot of guts to do that to Suzu, especially with what Meilin knew of her, maybe that was all the more reason that she mustered her strength? Unimportant.

"As long as after your team and you are done in there we get you to our part of the plan we have a deal." she said with a pleasant smile before pointing to the two behind Meilin, "Congratulations on getting your own team by the way, that was faster than I had expected." she said, lazily looking the other two over.

Though standing with a confident pose, Meilin felt the cold sweat rolling over her back. There was still no telling that the Sworn Swords wouldn't decide to enforce their will upon the team. Seeing that wasn't happening, Meilin tried to pour some effort from it.
"Good. I suspect that meeting in an alley isn't going to be that great. For that reason, let us meet up at the tavern south of the temple. I forgot the name but I take it that it is a better meeting place than an alley," Meilin replied as she crossed her arms out front of her chest.
"And thanks," the Cho replied. The two words had escaped her before she had considered that she had agreed to that she considered herself as the leader.

"Okay, time to get going guys. Just stick close and get moving," Meilin instructed Aoi and Madoc through the Yamanaka's telepathic bond. Nodding towards Suzu, Meilin considered that their shady meeting had come to an end as there was nothing left to be said.

If he was being honest with himself, this so far seemed like a waste of time to him. They could easily get what they needed to do out of the way, on their own time. Whatever these ladies problems were shouldn't have to be their own. Yet he was going to let Meilin decide for them, this was her acquaintance after all. The meeting seemed to have come to an end which was a relief to him as this was starting to bore him. Yet meeting at a tavern with them again? Well that was something he wasn't looking forward too, mostly since one of them was acting like a ghost right now. Meilin would instruct them to stick close and get moving through his telepathic bond, to which he placed his hand on Aoi's shoulder and started moving her out of the alley. "Thought you'd never say those words. Are we really going to help them?"

Rather unsure of the entire interaction she had just witnessed, Aoi couldn't help but breath a sigh of relief as the conversation finally came to an end. She released her clutch on Madoc shortly after and found herself nodding her head along to Meilin's voice in her head as if it wasn't actually in her head. She caught herself before responding aloud and instead spoke through their bond, "Right yeah, back to what we're supposed to be doing right now!" she said as she spun around and began to leave the alley, only to find herself being pushed forward by Madoc as if she were moving to slowly. As she was pushed forward she threw a look over her right shoulder up at the taller Yamanaka, "You're supposed to say something before you start laying hands on a woman." she thought to him, unsure if Meilin would hear it as well or only Madoc would, either way, she was sure that Meilin would join in on teasing the Yamanaka if she was given the chance.
[/spoili]
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Homecoming Part II, magenta, dashed, 10, Tahoma"]
Tomiko Hyuuga | Konohagakure Genin | Konohagakure, Hyuuga Compound

Taking a deep breath, the girl stared up at the top of the archway marking the entrance to the Hyuuga Compound. It was a rather simple thing, clean and glimmering slightly as its white coat reflected rays of sunlight. Her features turned into a slight frown as she thought about how empty the compound would feel without one of the few who actually mattered. Biting her lip slightly, the Hyuuga focused herself and began making her way back into the compound. Almost immediately upon entering the compound once more, Tomiko could feel the gaze of her fellow Hyuuga all around. A mixture of distaste, curiosity, and pity so heavy she could feel it like some beast watching her from the shadow. Small whispers floated through the air, Tomiko only picking up bits and pieces of the conversation. Some called her an exile, others whispered their pity for the loss she had just sustained. All the combined negativity in the air was almost enough to make the Hyuuga turn back and flee. She hated all the attention.

Her slow pace from before started to pick up. Turning from a slow walk to a jog, then a full sprint as she wanted nothing more than to go home. Escape the looks of her fellow clan members. Racing through the streets, Tomiko eventually saw the familiar face of the home she'd grown up in nearby. A simple, and rather small house. Rather unassuming amongst everything else in the area. At that moment, however, it was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen. Slowing up as she approached, her unease at the gaze of her fellow clan members forgotten. She recognized everything, including the window with little purple curtains that she'd grown up with. As she approached, she watched the door open and a man start to emerge. Seemingly heading out to take care of whatever business he had for the day. Yet obvious on his features was the pained look of a man deep in sorrow and loss.

Taking a few more steps, Tomiko stared down at the ground for a moment before looking up at the man. Taking a breath she noticed him staring in silence towards her. "Hi Papa... I'm home." She said softly, a voice struggling to hold back the emotion she felt boiling up inside. The man held up a hand towards Tomiko, turning and poking his head back into the house. Tomiko heard a muffled call from where she was, "Chiharu? You may want to come outside." Moments later a woman not much shorter than the man and bearing a striking resemblance to Hiraku, albeit more feminine appeared next to the man. Her hands coming up to cover her mouth, Tomiko could see tears starting to form in her eyes. The girl quickly started moving again, closing the distance between them and making her way into her parents' waiting arms. This time, it was Tomiko who started tear up. Only this time it wasn't tears of pain or sorrow, no, it was tears of joy. After everything that'd happened in just those three weeks, Tomiko was happy to be home. "I'm sorry Mama, Papa. I couldn't sa-" She started before being cut off by her mother. "Stop it. We're just happy you came home to us. Lets go inside, okay Tomiko?" She said, and the girl nodded slightly. Soon after following her parents back into her home, hoping that things would start looking up more. She was tired of being sad and crying all the time.[/hr][/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Temple Raiders?!, burlywood]
Hanaguro - the provincial capital of the River province.
In the western side of the city.
Team 4.

A collab between Frost, Zane and Oetje

Summary:
Team 4 goes into the Fire Temple but don't succeed in getting the lodging inside or near the complex. Relocating, Meilin comes up with a plan that has some risks. The team discusses the plan before the move into action.

[spoili]
Aoi had been more than a little surprised at the Inn that the Shrine Maiden from the temple had pointed them to in search of an affordable nights rest. Unlike what they had been led to believe, it was in fact on the outskirts of the Pink District, just not quite out of it yet. Much to Aoi's relief, and likely the relief of the others, unlike many of the businesses on the street, the Inn they had been pointed to did not have a pink lantern hanging by its entrance. She had been relieved to quickly get a room that would fit all three of them and was slightly confused by the questioning stare from the clerk which she brushed off. She very quickly made her way with Madoc and Meilin in tow to the room while some older men stared at the three of them creepily from the tables at the front.

She quickly fumbled with the key before wrenching the door open and hurrying the other two inside like a mother shooing her kids inside when it begins to rain. She closed the door quickly, locking it with all three of the provided locking mechanisms before she spun around and pressed herself against the door breathing a sigh of relief. [color= #007dba]"I didn't mean for us to not stay there, and definitely not here…"[/color] her voice trailed off as she took in the room.

A single large bed draped in red sheets, blankets, and pillows took up the right wall. To the left there was a single large bathtub that looked as if it could fit two comfortably. In the center of the room was an unadorned dark wooden table that reached no higher than Aoi's shins with a heart shaped red carpet beneath it. The walls were a darker red then the furniture, and the window at the end of the room opposite from the door was tinted pink, bathing the room in an oddly unnatural glow.

[color= #007dba]"You've got to be kidding me…"[/color] Aoi said aloud, more to herself than the other two in the room with her. She paused before speaking to the others directly as she finally connected the questioning looks and the unwanted stares they had been getting since they entered the Inn. [color= #007dba]"You and me… And,"[/color] she turned to Madoc, the only guy in the room and her face flushed red as she began to laugh, [color= #007dba]"Madoc you dog!"[/color] she yelled mockingly as she pressed her back against the door and slid down to the floor in a tantrum of laughter.

He could tell many stories on what was a waste of time, or he knew was a waste of time. However it was a new feeling to be able to have thought something could go well, only for something to turn it into a waste of time. So while he kept a normal expression as they were denied and then given directions to the cheapest inn, which so happened to be just on the outer rim of the Pink District. His normal expression turned into a sour expression, with his facial features now showing annoyance as they walked towards this inn or whatever. Ignoring most looks that seemed to confuse or worry Aoi, guess a religious girl like her never grew up around this kinda crap.

They would get their room keys and make their way to their room, with Madoc getting a thumbs up from one of the male patrons who only received a glare in response as they got to their door. Aoi fumbled with the keys before opening the room and hurrying them inside like this was new for all three of them. To which Aoi quickly locked the room as tightly as possible before saying she didn't mean for us to stay here which made him roll his eyes as he walked around the room.

It must have clicked in Aoi's head as she began speaking causing him to look at her, before he was called a dog for being in this kind of room with two females. She then proceeded to burst into laughter, sliding to the floor which in normal circumstances he would play off but in this case it actually annoyed him a bit.
"You know what's really funny Aoi?!" Madoc started saying as he started walking closer, before shaking his head and rubbing his temple as he would lean against the wall.
"Oh forget it. So how are we sneaking into that place, cause the easy way got blown to pieces? I could use sensory and keep tabs on everyone but that's a huge drain to keep that up."

Walking with the others, Meilin was cracking on various approaches. Now that they couldn't reside in the Temple itself, they had to figure out another way. There was the idea of scaling the wall and going in regardless. How much security could they have? If she had to believe Aoi's earlier words and explanation, not much. Nothing to deter three chuunin from moving in. But if they would get caught or forced to knock out a person, it could have some after-effects that could hinder them in the future.
Once they were nearing the establishments, Meilin was far from being shocked or nervous. The surrounding was far from making her feel out of place or worried. Glancing at her team members, she would release a soft sigh. Perhaps it was a good thing that there was no telepathic bond going on.
The looks and people didn't faze the Cho either. In Keishi, she had seen similar scenarios. It did make her wary as her left hand would rest on the pommel of her sword. Though she reckoned that anybody would think twice to make a move on them when spotting her weapons.

Entering the room, Meilin frowned upon the interior. Her lips briefly parted as she wanted to say something. But deciding against it, she would walk towards the windows. Closing the curtains halfway as Madoc and Aoi spoke. Catching some of their conversation, the Cho couldn't really give a damn. Her mind was fully dedicated to the approach and dealing with their problems.
"Yes, I got a plan."
Crossing her arms, Meilin shot them both a sharp look. A pause of silence followed before Meilin spoke up with a strict tone.
"I am going to sneak into the temple. I plan to move in with a technique that won't raise any questions. The idea is that I want to move in and see what I can figure out. Madoc," Meilin's gaze settled on the blonde young man. "You're the lookout. With your sensory ninjutsu, you can pick up where I am located. Through the telepathic bond, you can alert me if some chakra signature gets too close. I do imagine it will be a bit straining but I hope it won't take us too long."

Turning her attention towards Aoi, Meilin paused for a second time.
"I want you to stand at the ready. To perhaps create a diversion of some sort. I already suspect that the denizens of the temple will be a bit wary or quicker to become guarded with today's events. I got a bunch of firecrackers that can alert those who remain outside or to draw some attention. Else think of something as starting a small fire to whip up some smoke and attention."
That having said, Meilin would sit down on the bed and shot them both another sharp look.
"If this works without any trouble then I can easily move in and out and we will have done something that two Sworn Swords couldn't accomplish. Not that I am quite competitive but it is clear that we need to step up our game. Any questions?"

Aoi stopped laughing when it became obvious Madoc was less than pleased with the situation, more likely with her in particular, [color= #007dba]"Fine I'm sorry I was trying to lighten the mood Madoc, don't be so sour, I didn't see either of you step in to help me back there."[/color] she said as she rose to her feet and turned her attention to Meilin who already had a plan in the works. Breaking into the temple under cover of night, it wasn't a bad idea, along with whatever technique she'd be using that wouldn't raise any suspicion and with Madoc using his sensor techniques to lead the way… Well it'd probably work in honesty, just depended on Meilin's technique to save the day. She almost spoke when Meilin told her she'd be the distraction, with firecrackers in case something went wrong.

[color= #007dba]"Firecrackers?"[/color] she asked, confused at the notion, [color= #007dba]"I mean, no offense but do you really think anyone will bat an eye at firecrackers in a city as big as Hanaguro? I'm sure kids throw firecrackers around all the time, and near a Fire Shrine? Probably pretty common at one this size, in the countryside they're more of a festival deal but here? They may get thrown by visitors every day…"[/color] she said as she felt as if she were being marginalized or simply given a task with as little risk as possible to screwing up the other two in light of her performance in the shrine earlier, [color= #007dba]'As if either of them could have gotten us a place to stay at the Temple…'[/color] she thought to herself,[color= #007dba]"Is that all you need me for on this one? Nothing else?"[/color] she asked, a bit quieter than when she had first begun to talk.

He chose to ignore the words of Aoi, and just stared at her for a bit as he looked at Meilin as she would explain what her plan is. It could certainly work, would be taxing using his sensory for such a situation but it was doable. Aoi seemed to be the only one who didn't think her part of the plan would work that well. "Let's be real, it's probably not the tiny little snappers that she is talking about when she says Firecrackers. Knowing her, they are certainly going to cause a commotion. I'm sure you can find a way to cause someone to panic anyway." Madoc said as his gaze lingered on Aoi for a few seconds afterwards, which caused him to chuckle.

Focusing back on Meilin he would have one question. "For my benefit, so I don't mistaken you for anything. You should give me details on what this technique is, that way I'm not confused about it. "

Taking in Aoi's information, Meilin considered how to adapt the plan. It was true that her firecrackers had a bit of a bigger punch when it came to sound. But she hadn't imagined that people did that.
"Then we have to get more drastic. Start a fire at various places before I move in," Meilin said as she looked at Aoi. "It won't be really easy. If you get caught, we got to bust you somehow out of it. And I sincerely doubt that it will be appreciated that you commit arson. The fires have to be near the temple. I know that this isn't fair to ask you," Meilin looked away for a moment, "But Madoc needs to be on the sensor as communication duty. And I imagine that you can manage to stay out of trouble. Once you're done, you go to Madoc. Providing security for him to keep a focus on his techniques as helping me to navigate through the complex. I am, after all, not known with how Fire temples are organised or built."

Flashing an apologising smile, Meilin hoped that Aoi wouldn't find too much problem with it. Being asked to endanger a sacred place of your faith wasn't something small to ask. Turning her attention to Madoc, Meilin's left eyebrow would slightly rise.
"I prefer not to. Just know that I plan to move over the walls and stay hidden. It is a technique I rather not disclose or share at this moment," was her answer. She wondered if she would need to tell Madoc to not even dare to seek the answer in her mind.
"This is the best plan I can conjure. Unless either of you has an idea how to gather information about what is going on in the Temple, then best to say now. Cause else I suggest that we act this night."

She stared back at Madoc, unsure if there was something else hidden beneath what he had said or if it was the plain truth. It didn't matter they could get back to their verbal sparring match after the this was over, [color= #007dba]"Yeah I'm sure I can."[/color] she replied to him to not leave his comment hanging in the air. When Meilin chimed back in to answer both their questions she was not surprised by the fact that the firecrackers were a bit higher grade than normal, but even then they might not have done the trick. Her eyes flashed concern for only a moment as Meilin asked her to set fires around the Temple to draw attention away from it, she clasped her hands together at her waist and fiddled with her fingers as she spoke, [color= #007dba]"I can do fires. And I can do not getting caught too, definitely, don't want to be broken out of prison. If we need fires to have you sneak in with your unknown technique at a Fire Temple, I can't imagine what sort of a distraction we'll need to get me out of prison."[/color] she stated, not wanting to further let either of them down she steeled herself to go possibly damage or even destroy a sacred Temple of her Faith. It was ironic she would have to light a fire to the Fire Temple, it left a bitter feeling in her mouth even thinking about it.

[color= #007dba]"Light fires, then get back to Madoc and give directions. Easy enough."[/color] she said shaking her head in affirmation, [color= #007dba]"I have no better ideas than to simply scale the walls, which likely won't work."[/color] she stated as she turned to Madoc to see if he had anything more he wanted to say.

He would stare at Meilin who switched from firecrackers to actual fires for Aoi to do as a distraction, although he raised an eyebrow at Meilin when she decided not to inform him of what this technique was. This he shrugged "Fine by me. I'll figure it out one way or another." Madoc said with a neutral expression, he could just read her mind but he also had his sensor to keep track on her. Although it did slightly annoy him that secret was being kept from the team, not that he really cared why she was keeping this a secret.

"Well hopefully we discover something before I get too drained. Only other plan I could think of was disguising myself as one of them and using my Mind Reader on them, yet both yours and mine are risky so we can use your plan." Madoc said as he stretched his arms,
"Well if we're doing this in the night, we should get some rest while we can. Since I'm a gentleman, you two ladies can share the love bed!" Madoc said smiling as he would take his pack over to a corner and prop it against the wall as he would then lay back against it.
[/spoili]
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Moving back, orange]
Nishi Hirashima,
The leader of Team 11 | Ex- ANBU member,
Kirigakure, east of the city in the rural area at a hamlet.

Nishi would watch as her team started to follow the latest instructions. The jounin would keep also an eye on their captives but they likely wouldn't do much now. The knowledge that they were dealing with shinobi likely reduced the likelihood of resistance.
The jounin's eyebrows then lightly perked up by spotting that Claire was making her way towards Yukimi. Overhearing what Claire said, Nishi waited to see how the Yuki would react.

The reaction was anything but pleasant. A certain truth did reside in Yukimi's words. Claire hadn't been that efficient in the scuffle and had been in need of help. Watching the Yuki, the jounin didn't make an action when the chuunin threatened one of their captives.
Placing her left hand on her hips, Nishi decided to respond, as she raised her right hand to signal for them to get moving with their captives.
"Get these gentlemen on foot and in a line. We are going back to the city. I must add that anybody who makes an unpleasant movement will be punished by me. Claire, you will take the front. Yukimi, in the middle. I will be overseeing everything from the back. Now,"

Before either Yukimi or Claire would be able to respond, a heavy pressure would descend upon them. While flashing a smile towards the two younger kunoichi, the source of this shift seemed to be the jounin.
"A word though. Tolerances, freedom and what not." The jounin began as she leaned slightly towards the two younger nin, "None of that matters. You do your best to follow my orders. Nothing more. If I spot either of you saying or doing something that I disapprove, I will have to fill in that an accident occurred to explain one or two new scars. I hope that I made myself clear."
Waving lightly, Nishi dismissed them to their positions as the heavy pressure seemed to ebb away. Once the captives were on their feet and the formation started moving, Nishi was vigilant of both their surrounding as her team.

As the pace of the formation wasn't fast, it gave Nishi some time to think. Her team wasn't dysfunctional. She had been as seen worse. Way worse. Claire could use some training as she hadn't been that particularly efficient in the struggle against mere bandits. Then again, the jounin didn't blame the genin much for that. There were few genin that managed very smoothly at the start of their career in a fight. So Nishi just made the mental note that she would see to it that the genin received more combat training.
Then there was Yukimi. The chuunin had an interesting way of dealing with threats. The problem that Nishi had with the chuunin was the attitude. Not that Nishi cared or wanted her team to become friends and all buddy-buddy. What she cared for was efficiency. And ironically enough, that wouldn't be accomplished with somebody that acted in such a way as the Yuki was doing.

Not yet certain how she would deal with it Nishi deemed that controlling her team with some dread would be best. For now, at least.
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=A new start, lightgreen]
Etsu Yabut.

Jounin-squad leader of Team 22
South of Amegakure - Capital of the Rain Province, in the Empire of Akino.
The leader of the Tough Rats.

An almost endless amount of people passed by. Watching them, the hooded jounin couldn't spot any of her team. True, she had never seen or been in close contact with Yoshikuni Sadako but the chuunin wasn't just a face in the crowd either. That was likely because of her status as a jinchuriki. Spotting neither Kitana and Rini, Etsu released a soft sigh. The raincoat shielded her from most cold and rain but it was still no pleasure to be outside right now.

The first that came to the meeting spot was the newest member of the team. Etsu saw how Yoshikuni was looking for the team. Or that was what the jounin assumed from the chuunin's behaviour. Deciding to not say anything as Yoshikuni sat down next to her, Etsu then saw Kitana making her way towards them.

"Interesting place to meet up. Then again not the worse place yet we've gone too." The chuunin said. Provoking a snicker from Etsu as she nodded in agreement.
"Haha, don't worry. I might surprise you soon enough," Etsu replied, a wink following her reply.
Soon enough Rini joined and Etsu quickly eyed the genin. Not much that caused the jounin to worry about. Hopefully, the genin wasn't as much as she had been before.

"Now that we are all here, allow me to introduce you to the newest member of the team," Etsu said as she raised the volume of her voice to already involve the person sitting next to her, "Yoshikuni Sadako. Welcome to the team, Yoshikuni."
Etsu shot a sideways look at the chuunin, flashing a smile.
"I have managed to get a tile in the Training Facility. Everything should be in order now, so how about we go there?" Getting up from her place, she beckoned her team to follow her. The walk towards the facility wasn't that far either.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Going for a Hunt, #9A2EFE]
[color= #9A2EFE]Zhang Hsiao | Outpost | Sacred Sword[/color]​

Hsiao walked through the encampment of the Sacred Swords. Most of the red cloaks were at lunch, but there were still a few out and about. There was some commotion up ahead in one of the larger tents just outside the Sacred Swords' camp, where the ranked common soldiers would usually be about. Just as Hsiao was about to go in, a sizeable man flew out of the entrance with his ear bleeding, turning and yelling. As the burly man whimpered on the dirt and snow, Hsiao made her way into the tent.

A woman with a bloodied mouth stood in the middle of the tent, letting out a war cry to the skies as she bent her knees and strained her muscles. There were a few other soldiers lying around, groaning in pain. The crowd seemed to be split in two, one half cheering and the other jeering. Another woman, someone who seemed a lot less like a warrior than a dancer, seemed to be trying to get people to calm down. Just as the two groups locked and started wrestling and punching, people started to slowly notice the newcomer, and as they noticed her, they stopped their fights one by one.

The woman at the center of the tent had one of the soldiers in a headlock when everyone stopped. After a moment's hesitation, she let go of the soldier, dropping him to the floor, and shrugged as if to convince people that she had no idea what was going on. Hsiao's eyes went over to the two women in the tent and gestured to the exit with a nod. "Ai. Jore." As the two started to move through the crowd, Hsiao left the tent. The quiet remained until all three were out in the snow, and then all signs of the ongoing fight returned.

"Getting into some more trouble?" Hsiao asked, sighing. She looked down at where the earless man was. As the man noticed the group, he let out a small squeal and started running.

Jore let out a loud hearty laugh. "Just some roughhousin'," she said gleefully. "He'll be just fine. Nobody died from a missing ear before."

"I'm not sure if that's true," Ai said with a caustic tone. Hsiao shook her head, clicking her tongue, but there was a strangely amused smile on her lips.

"In any case, we're heading out," she said pointing her thumb over her shoulder. "We need to track a small party--"

Jore's eyes glowed brilliantly as she heard her friend's words. "HAHA! I've been itchin' fer a nice good rumble!" But the glow dissipated as Hsiao continued.

"--and follow their movements. Sorry, Jore." She gave an apologetic look at the warrior. Ai seemed strangely disappointed as well, upon hearing their job. Both the warrior and the acrobat heaved a heavy sigh in unison.

"I s'pose that's better than stayin' 'ere," Jore said half-heartedly. A few moments passed where the only sound they could hear was the sound of the fight in the tent behind them. "Well… Who are we going after?"
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Another Trek, wheat]
Eastern Continent, Wolf Country.
13th Brigade, Torrad's company.
Camp in unknown territory.

A collab between Sketching and Gerontis

Summary:
Koike and Katsu go out scouting, but an unexpected visitor disturbs what seemed to be a smoothly proceeding ambush.

[spoili]
Don on his equipment, Koike let out a soft groan. He hadn't slept that well but that would be no excuse to prolong or pardon himself to partake in today's activities. Once ready, Koike left his tent and shot a look around. It was kind of an odd but satisfying experience to witness that the camp always seemed the same. Soldiers were attending to their tasks or taking care of their equipment. Few were taking a break together, sitting around and talking or enjoying some rations. For a moment, Koike wondered how many mornings like these he would experience. Driving the thought away, he would turn to his right and walk to the nearby tent.

"Katsu, get up. We are going to move out in thirty minutes or so." Koike ordered as he imagined that Katsu prefered this kind of waking up, to having a weapon dropped next to him. Deciding to wait for Katsu to be ready, Koike once more took in the scenery. There was something to it that he enjoyed but wasn't entirely certain what.

After a few moments, the cloth of the tent started to move. It seemed almost as if an infant was walking out. It only became clear that the one leaving wasn't Katsu, but Tanpo. He barked a few times at Koike with the usual look on his face. He started to run away, disappearing behind some tents. Only a second later, he reappeared and stared at Koike meaningfully and barked again. He disappeared once again, his barking signalling his location.

A surprised expression crossed Koike's features as the juvenile direwolf appeared out of the tent. When Tanpo ran away, Koike wasn't entirely certain of what the purpose was. Perhaps he had waken the canine? Deciding to wait, Koike frowned when the direwolf came back and barked again. "Ah," Koike mumbled as he decided to follow the canine. As he did so, Koike already gain an idea of where Tanpo was leading him towards. With the juvenile canine leading the Hon towards the spot where the practice targets were standing, sure enough there he found his friend and aide. Practicing with the bow of yesterday. Watching for a dozen seconds, Koike would attempt to get Katsu's attention with a sharp whistle.

Just as the high pitched whistle reached his ears, Katsu let loose one the nocked arrow, pinning it to the side of where most of the arrows had accumulated. He turned to glance at his friend before jogging up to the young man and the direwolf, who seemed to be staring intensely at Koike after the whistle. "G'morning colonel," he said with a cheeky grin. "What can I do you for?"

"Getting ready. We are going to move out. Long ahead of us," Koike replied as he shot a sideways look towards Tanpo. "So get whatever gear you need. Hopefully, today," Koike returned his gaze back on Katsu. "We won't be taken by surprise. Torrad and some other groups already have moved out." Shooting a look at the bow, Koike had an additional question in mind. But he decided to ask it later.

"Alright. I just have to get my swords and I'll..." He paused and looked down at the bow. His eyes rolled up as he continued to remain silent for a few more seconds. "I think I'll bring this too," he said resolutely. "I'll meet you in just a few minutes." He scratched Tanpo behind the ear, loosening his stiff gaze at Koike. "Hey, could you grab my stuff from the tent? I'll meet you once I'm done here, hm?" Tanpo seemed to be too preoccupied to listen, but once Katsu stopped scratching the direwolf, he barked and ran off again. Katsu turned back to his friend. "Even if we don't have to face anyone, it might be a good idea to get used to carrying it, huh? I hope Torrad won't mind if I borrow some stuff here."

Half amused as Katsu declared he would bring the bow too, Koike wondered how fond his friend had grown over trying to master the weapon. "It might be a good idea. And you got my approval, so it is okay. Meet me at the northern entrance of camp once you're ready." Koike replied back. Making his way towards the point, already most of the group was gathered. There was the question Koike asked himself, on how experienced each of these men were. There had to be some greener members in the ranks than only existing out of veterans of the past conflicts. Waiting for Katsu and Tanpo, Koike spotted a large black canine making way towards the group. "Almost thought you had fallen asleep," Koike joked as Akumu would close in the distance, in a most relaxed pace. Gaining no reaction from the large canine, Koike shot another look. Hopefully, Katsu wouldn't take too long.

Katsu and Tanpo arrived soonafter. Katsu had strapped the bow with the quiver sideways to across the back of his waist and right shoulder, just above his swords. He made his way to the front to show that they had arrived.

"Good, time to get going," Koike said as Katsu arrived. Now that they were complete, they could get going. Moving out of camp, Koike would hold a relatively easy pace. Trekking through the snow was one thing but it was another to climb the various hills and watch for the vegetation. Walking at the front of the group, Koike watched for signs of tracks or hints of Torrad's or other units moving by. He couldn't find much and after ten minutes had given up on being able to verbally jab the Sarutobi captain for it. Moving towards the east, the vegetation started to become less dense. The few hills would be left behind them. As the first break would be held, Koike gestured Katsu to come. "Soon, we will have to leave this scrub and woodland. I don't like the idea to move on the plains where an enemy patrol can ride us down. But," crouching, Koike would start to make use of the snow to draw lines to clear out what he was planning. "We don't have to move out of the vegetation. I want us to scout till the edge of this woodland. We will be moving eastwards and see what we can find. If we find nothing, we will go south and slowly make a course back for camp. Because of our position being so far from Hayate, I will need you to later report to him about our findings. Not any time soon but once we have gained more intel."

"Things would go quite differently from last time, probably," Katsu said uneasily. "But if Torrad's men came through here, at least we don't need to worry too much. There didn't seem to be any signs of a fight so far, so we should be just fine." His voice didn't sound too convincing but his face didn't betray any sense of doubt. "Are we set to meet up with the captain on the way back?"

"We will be fine, without a doubt. Torrad took care of the camp we found last time.No need to fret about the captain. And no," Koike replied, "We won't meet the captain on our way back. He went north with an unit. The more riskier direction cause the enemy army is still in that direction. We are to see if we can figure out if there is a supply line that feeds the enemy with supplies and manpower. If that is the case, I want the supply route to be sabotaged or raided. It would be anything beneficial if the enemy is able to recover better from the night raid."

"I see. That would be troublesome indeed," Katsu said, nodding. "We could probably pull something like that off if we do find any help going their way." He stared off towards their route for a few moments. "I wonder if it gets warmer in spring," he muttered to himself with a small shudder.

"Let us hope that spring will bring back some warmth. But we can't sit and wait for that." Gesturing to Katsu to get moving, Koike would start to walk. Followed in tow by the two direwolves and small unit of Torrad's men. A cold breeze passed the group as they would move out of the hidden camp and start to slug into the forest. The absence of leaves, dark as gloomy clouds and cold breeze created a sombre atmosphere. Four long hours did the group continued to move through the snow towards the east. When Koike finally ordered for a break, he beckoned Katsu to come. Staring at the east, Koike had a frown upon his brow. His gloved right thumb hooked behind his belt.
"Soon enough we will come to the end of the woods. Not sure what we can encounter past that."

As they came to take one more break, Katsu kneeled next to Tanpo, ruffling the direwolf's hair. He looked over at Koike and then onto the horizon. "Hm. I could go to check," Katsu suggested. "To see if there's anything within the immediate vicinity to look out for." He plunged his hand into his satchel, pulling out a crumbled, cold sandwich made from the previous day's dinner leftovers. He took a bite off it, breaking the stale bread, as small bits fell on the ground for Tanpo to leap at.

Thinking for a moment, Koike shook his head lightly. "No," he said, "Not if you need to separate yourself." Koike asked, his frown growing as he considered a plan.
"If anything, we will continue to move eastwards. Then I want to see if we can cross the plains and find tracks or anything to provide information on movement. It is clear that the enemy has enough manpower to disperse troops to do patrols and perimeter checks at such a distance."

Katsu nodded as he lowered his hands to his side, prompting Tanpo to try and snatch the sandwich out of his hand. "I see. Well then," he said with a quick move, pulling the sandwich away from the direwolf. "Let's hope we don't get any nasty surprises."

Nodding, Koike indeed didn't hope either for nasty surprises. But there was at this moment no telling. Not only because they had not ventured this far eastwards. But a nasty habit of their foes seemed to be having something new in their way, at every new clash. Once the break was over, Koike started to lead the group towards the east. The fact that the vegetation became less dense went together with the tension rising in the air. The soldiers that accompanied them were perhaps at home with this kind of warfare and operations, that didn't make feel Koike any better.

Reaching the forest's edge, Koike watched over the flowing fields of white. Here and there were was still some vegetation but so far he could see, those patches were just a few. Narrowing his eyes, Koike grunted softly. "Katsu, how far could you use your sensor technique?" He asked, shooting a look at his comrade, as a plan started to hatch in Koike's mind.

"Hm… I haven't tried the regular sensory technique in a while," Katsu answered. "The highest I could go was a hundred meters last time. I'm not sure if that'll be too much help." He gave an apologetic look at the colonel. "I might be able to see more from up high, however."

Biting his lower lip, Koike considered his options now. He had hoped that Katsu could sense further away. But they had to work with it. "It is okay. We will do it in the old fashioned style. Never failed us before," he said, flashing a grin towards Katsu to appear motivated. Taking the lead, Koike wondered if he should ask Katsu to use his sharingan to be on the look-out for chakra signatures. Yet as far as they could see over the plain, there was no sign of life. It almost caused Koike to ponder what could survive in a realm of snow, cold and ice. Remembering what his own people said, what would herald the end of times, caused Koike to frown.

For a good twenty minutes, the small group trekked through the snow. As they climbed various small hills, Koike made notes. Even producing a notepad and using a pencil to make crude sketches as notes. Then as they climbed another hill and Koike wanted to state they should get a break, one of the men spotted something in the distance. Pointing at a small group far up in the distance, north of them, Koike narrowed his eyes.
"Can't be one of ours. I told Torrad to make sure that I would be the only group moving out of the woods." He grumbled. Which meant that they were staring at trouble impending, if they wouldn't get moving.
"Okay, ready up. We are going for an ambush. Check your gear. Katsu, with me." Koike ordered with a stern voice as he would take a few steps forward, waiting for Katsu to come closer. "Doesn't seem to be many. Can you pick something out this far with your sharingan?"

As he nodded, the boy's jade green eyes twisted and turned into a crimson red hue. "Hm… Just a few men and… Huh. Those clothes…" He turned to Koike for a brief moment. "I think there might be some troublesome people down their. There are four that I can see with sizeable and refined chakra pools. They have the same uniforms the ones we faced in the raid had." His eye wandered around the area a bit. "Huh?" He focused on one spot for a moment but his eyes soon turned back to their original colour. He muttered to himself, "I guess I just imagined it."

"Great. Time for us to show who truly reigns supreme," Koike grumbled. He turned around and gave various instructions in Chonobi. To which the soldiers nodded or simply grinned as response. Dropping his bag on the ground, Koike rolled with his shoulder as he turned around. "We will move slightly forward. The men will stay cloaked from sight and sensory. Ready to deliver a barrage on my sign. You and I will face them first. If things get hectic, I can call in for a volley and we get perhaps an opening to either move or tip the scales in our favour." He instructed Katsu. Shooting a look over his shoulder, he saw how the soldiers of Torrad's company started to prepare.

Katsu looked back at the soldiers that were preparing to intervene, and turned back to their target. "Alright, but don't get too caught up," Katsu said worriedly. "It's not the time for bravado." His mind went to the fight at the camp raid, remembering the look Koike had shot him when he killed Koike's opponent.

Scoffing, amused, Koike nodded. "No bravado. Promised." He replied. With the soldiers moving into hiding out of sight, Koike would start to descend from the hill in a walking pace. Akumu followed in tow, the dark fur in stark contrast with the white snow. "I think that we do have to get rid of them as soon as possible. No prisoners either." Koike spoke up as he flexed the fingers of his left hand. The familiar sensation ran down his arm, faint but still noticeable. He had no illusion that the enemy had noticed them but that was okay. If the soldiers could move further and stay hidden, all that he and Katsu had to do was to hold up or lure the enemy into the ambush.

"When have we ever?" Katsu responded, sighing. He followed Koike down the hill, looking over at Akumu for a moment. He pulled out one of his swords as they reached the bottom. "They probably noticed some kind of movement, but we should be alright," he said. "Let's set it up."

Nodding after Katsu's word, the two young men would hold their position with the large, black direwolf. The group that came to approach started to close in the distance, at an easy pace. As the two parties started to have less distance in between them, Koike was hoping to see some difference among the red cloaked individuals. Anything that could betray a leader or officer among them. Drawing his sword, Koike let the blade rest against his shoulder. With the group of red cloaks coming closer, Koike clicked his tongue. "Let us see if this works," He mumbled, audible for Katsu, as he raised his left hand up in the air. Assuming that speaking up directly wouldn't work, due to the language barrier, Koike would wait to see what the reaction would be. The hairs on Akumu's back started to rise as the canine lowered himself, his stomach touching the snow.

The younger of the two sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, his sword sheathed once more. "This was exactly what I meant," he mumbled. "There aren't many different ways this can go from here, and none of them seem particularly good."

The opposing group came to a halt but no verbal came. They seemed to eye Koike. Their weapons were still sheathed. This brief moment allowed Koike to eye their foes. They seemed to not enjoy much protective gear. Though that didn't mean that they were less dangerous. One of the four then spoke up in their foreign language. One that Koike didn't know. "Guess that I won't be able to buy much more time." Koike thought to himself. With no verbal response coming from Koike, the same Red Cloak spoke up again. As the verbal answer was still not returned, the four Red Cloaks rushed forward.
"Here we go," Koike grumbled as he grasped the hilt of his blade. Chakra shot through and surrounded the blade of his sword in a mere instance.

Grumbling, Katsu drew his swords as their contact escalated. As one of the red cloaked men quickly made a series of handseals, Katsu lunged forward to interrupt, but another one of the soldiers intercepted him. As the brutish man slided between the two, Katsu's eyes flashed red. The man's swing of the hammer grew clumsy halfway through, allowing Katsu to duck under it with a cut to the man's ankle, aiming to move forward to the one he was protecting, but before he could, the man finished casting his technique. As his hands slammed on the ground, ice tendrils reached out from the ground and at the two shinobi.

Spotting Katsu moving and getting engaged into combat, Koike also didn't hesitate to move in. The incoming ice tendrils wouldn't faze Koike and causing him to halt. Readying for a slash, the Hon would actually mould the chakra in his blade different than from normal. By the time that the tendrils were close to him, he would lash out with an arc of chakra soaring through the air and snow. Oddly enough, it cut through the tendrils and caused the ones that were heading to Koike to just collapse into snow. Whistling hard, Koike ordered Akumu to stay close.
Spotting movement at his right, Koike saw how one of the enemies skidded through the snow to position himself at the Hon's flank.

The ice-user dug his hand into his cloak to pull out his sabres just as Katsu had come within range. Just as the young nin was about to drive the man through, he felt something grab him by the hood, stopping him mid air. He kicked towards the ice user, letting out a strong gust of wind from his feet to push him back and sent himself over the burly brute that tried to grab him. Sliding out of his cloak, the boy swung his sword down towards the man's head, but the sword didn't connect. A sharp metal clash sounded as the phantom of the broken sword passed across the man's face. The broken edge of the sword sunk into the ground and the snow flew up in a flurry behind him with a metal arrow sticking out of it.

Skidding to a halt, Koike was in time to parry an attack. A red cloak had move straight at him. Armed with two long knives, Koike's assaulter made an attempt to deliver a second strike. Instead of moving out of the way of the attack, Koike would maneuver his blade. The jab with the knife slammed against the chainmail but didn't pierce it. Feeling the vibration though, Koike wouldn't waver with his next attack. In a rapid movement he sliced the man's throat by a sidewards slice. Blood spurted briefly out of the gaping wound as the red cloak sank down into the snow, his hands and arms slightly twitching.
Trying to turn around, Koike felt how how he was driven backwards by a strong punch in the side. Stumbling, he tried to keep himself standing as another wind gust slammed against him. Falling with a hard smack into the snow, Koike felt how the hilt of his sword slipped from his grip. Before Koike's opponent could land another attack, a low growl pierced the air as Akumu moved in. Despite the size, the beast moved in rather agile and fast. Giving little quarter for his foe to focus a wind blast, the direwolf lunged forwards and pounced the attacker. Causing both to roll into the snow with Akumu on top.

Just as Katsu was landing, spikes of ice rose from the ground. The boy kicked off one of the spikes, and while he avoided being impaled, he fell on the ground on his back. Next to his head he saw the metal arrow that splintered his sword. His eyes moved forward again, just in time to prompt him to roll as another arrow of the same kind blasted past the snow and earth right where his head had been just a moment earlier. The bleeding brute caught him by the neck, unfazed by the cut on his ankle. After a moment's blind struggle, Katsu swung his leg up around the arm and brought the other up to the man's elbow with a boost of wind, bending the man's arm the wrong way. As the man cried out in pain, Katsu gasped for air. Another arrow whizzed by where Katsu had been when he was being held up, but instead it took the man's broken arm clean off. As the ice user tried to move past the brute to take over, Katsu grasped the metal wires on his bracers.

Grunting, Koike tried to get up quickly. Picking up his blade in the same motion, he tried to gauge how well Katsu was doing. Before he could move into aid his brother, another sound caught Koike's attention. The whimpering of Akumu as he was blast aside by a strong punch of air caused Koike to turn halfway around. Grabbing the blade with both hands, Koike would start to walk towards the red cloak that got up. The man sneered something in their foreign language. Provoking a response of Koike before he started to pick up his pace.
"Come on then," he grunted as he noticed that the other pulled out a sabre. With the two reaching each other, snow would be whipped up as both came to a slower pace. The sharp edges of the swords connected, briefly locked against each other as one edge bite into the other. Stepping to the right, Koike directed his blade for another attack. His opponent managed to perform a deflect, directing the attack upwards.

"Koike!" Katsu called out to get his friend's attention to the arrows that had landed beside him. He lashed out as the ice-user moved to attack the apparently vulnerable boy, whipping the wires forward. A wide gash appeared along the man's torso and another on the man's wrist. Katsu pursued quickly to finish the man off, but he felt a strong grip around his foot just as he closed in on the lean man. The one armed warrior pulled him and with a ridiculous force, swung him up in the air. As he started to fall down, something collided with him mid air, shattering some steel and passing through him.

A deadly dance would be performed by Koike and his opponent. Despite having various cuts and being pounced by Akumu, Koike's opponent was able to keep standing and fighting equally against the Hon. Parrying a strike, Koike tried to counter attack. Only to hear Katsu shouting his name. As his counter attack got blocked, Koike would release the handle with his left hand. His opponent would push the Hon's blade aside, to try to land a jab of his own. Focusing chakra into his left hand, Koike would step aside and avoid the jab. Before his opponent could react, Koike placed his left hand on the man's face. Releasing the focused chakra, the dense force would be shot forwards. The sound of bones snapping, skin and flesh ripping by the point blank burst would be followed by the soft cracking of snow as Koike's foe fell on his back.
Turning around, Koike's eyes widen. Without any word, he tried to race through the snow towards his brother. The blue chakra at his sword started to create a hissing sound as the force surrounding the blade became more dense and focused.

The snow rose like dust where Katsu fell on the ground. The brutish man fell on his knees. The ice user wrapped the man's around his shoulder and said something in their foreign language. He seemed to be moulding his chakra at the same time.

Katsu laid on the ground with a few shattered knives and broken bow around the torn flesh at his side. He slowly sat up, grunting. "Ah..." He looked down towards where the fight was happening, before struggling to get to his feet.

Casting a look at Katsu, Koike felt slightly relieved to see that the other was still moving. Seeing that Katsu had been shot, Koike instantly searched for the culprit. Spotting only four combatants, Koike spat on the ground as he would position himself between them and Katsu.
"Can you move?" Koike asked, trying to come up with a plan to move Katsu away. He could call in the Sarutobi but didn't want to yet waste their surprise volley.

"Yeah," Katsu said, getting to his feet. "It just… grazed." He drew his second sword with his right hand as he pressed on his side with his left. His left hand let go with a grunt of pain as he collapsed back on the ground. "I… I can't..." His breath grew heavy and weary. "Keep an eye out," he said in a single breath. "Up ahead… On the hill..." As if on cue, another arrow flew through the air, towards Koike.

Keeping his attention on the enemy in front, Koike heard what Katsu said. Wanting to ask something, Koike was barely in time to evade the incoming arrow. Seeing how one of the enemy was trying to help a comrade, trying to flee, Koike cursed softly.
Shouting something in Chonobi, Koike would drop his weapon and produce various handsignals while kneeling down. Creating half a sphere of air as defense against the arrows of the hidden sniper, behind on the hill, a volley of arrows would follow. Fired from the longbows, the archers didn't waste any time with surprising the four enemies. The first volley caught the two combat ready red cloaks by surprise. One would drop on the ground, dead before he would hit the snow. The second would grunt before sinking on a knee.

"Akumu," Koike shouted. The large black direwolf had managed to get back on his claws. Having shaken off the punishing blast, the beast sprinted to close the distance, heading towards Katsu.
"Katsu, I am going to pursue them. I want you to get back."

Katsu tried to move, but could only let out a painful grunt. "Ah… I'll go back," he said hesitantly. "Just… Be careful."

Not responding, Koike focused on the scenery in front of him. The archers behind on the hill had a great position as the second volley would mow down the remaining foes. Not dismissing the wind sphere just yet, Koike tried to spot where the sniper could be. Akumu would aid Katsu to get away as Koike shouted something in Chonobi, gaining a positive response from the soldiers.
"Come on, you coward. Where," Koike grumbled, releasing the wind sphere as Katsu was moved away. Reaching for his blade, Koike squinted his eyes for any sign of the enemy sniper.

Nothing happened for a few seconds until one covered in lightning chakra tore through the air towards the colonel.

Rolling away, Koike would avoid the arrow. The sizzling lightning infused arrow would not hit too far from the colonel, though. Getting an idea where it came from, Koike started to sprint forwards. He was certain where the arrow had came from and silently vowed that he would see to it that the mutilation of his brother would be avenged. Reaching the small hill where the arrow had been shot from, Koike did slow his pace by a bit. Keeping the chakra flowing into the blade of his steel, the hissing became more menacing as he reached the top.

Spotting three figures, Koike felt his rage building up. His eyes narrowed briefly, his grip on the hilt of his blade briefly looser than before. Quickly eyeing the two visible foes, Koike's gaze rested for a moment on a woman with a bow. The culprit who had wounded Katsu.
"Your death is named Katsu," was what the Hon said in a low and threatening voice.

"A name to remember for sure," the young woman said with a grin. Upon closer inspection, she seemed to be even younger than him. Her accent had a familiar tone and it was definitely not distinctly foreign. The warrior next to her grasped her axe tightly and said something in the foreign language. The young woman took a step back. "Well. Sorry to cut this short, but we should be leaving," she said as she begun to turn on her heel.

Even though focused on eyeing his opponents and considering how to deal with them, Koike was surprised that the woman had understood him speaking Taika. It raised questions to mind but he discarded them for now. The grin would be only more fuel for the Hon's anger and desire to seek retribution.
"Why the hurry?" Koike asked calmly, as he would release two arcs of chakra towards the two enemies.

The warrior moved between Koike and the archer, slashing the chakra arc with her hand axe's own arc. From the smoke that rose from the clash, the war axe flew spinning towards Koike.

Leaning to the side to avoid the war axe, Koike would listen to anything that could betray enemy movements. Waiting for the soft crack of snow beneath boots, the Hon tried to keep his own anger under control.

The two started moving almost immediately. They moved away from where Koike was standing, towards a rockier area.

Catching on, Koike would release a gust of wind from his blade to slam the smoke aside before he started to give chase. Keeping in mind that he shouldn't stray too far or risk too much, he also told himself that he could try to prevent the fleeing enemy from reporting back.

The archer appeared from around one of the boulders that littered the area, swinging the larger axe her ally had earlier, from the side.

Barely in the nick of time did Koike lower himself to avoid getting the edge of the axe bite into his chest. Moving a few paces forwards, the Hon would turn around with the tip of his blade aimed at the archer. Not detecting the other, he reckoned that she was acting as a delay or decoy. That meant that his attempt to prevent the two from alerting more enemies had failed. Taking a moment to observe the archer once more, Koike slowly inhaled and exhaled. Then he started to walk towards the archer, the tip of the sword still aimed at the archer's chest.

"Oh?" The young woman grinned as she saw him dodge the swing. She heaved the axe up with apparent ease, something strange for someone of her stature. "It would seem you have me at a disadvantage, Mr Death." She hoisted the axe up over her shoulder as she took a defensive stance.

The only sign that her words irritated Koike was that his eyes narrowed briefly. Once he was a few steps away from range, the Hon made a dash forwards. His initial strike would be a sidewards heave from the left, the blade handled by both hands as the chakra sizzled through the air.

She swiftly moved the axe to her right to deflect the shot with the chakra covered bottom of the axe handle.

As his opponent deflected the blow with her axe handle, Koike would not hesitate to slide the sharp edge down, towards the fingers of the archer.

With the deflect, she sidestepped to avoid the slice. The she pushed the axe's handle back over her shoulder to spin it over the other side, and grabbed it from the bottom to swing a wide heavy attack from the opposite side.

Letting his blade slide down, Koike would pivot to return briefly to his stance. Wielding his sword with only his right hand. Eyeing the movement of his opponent, he would move the blade of his sword in the path of the attack. Blocking the attack, his blade hitting just below the steel head of the axe. Grabbing the sword by the pommel, Koike would try to pressure enough weight and speed to force the axe away. If he could just create one opening.

"Hm?" The archer seemed surprised as the axe moved back. She seemed to lose her balance as she stumbled backwards, leaving her wide open.

Pressuring the axe away, Koike would shift his hands slightly. With a quick motion he would halt the blade's motion and was about to bring it down to let the edge slice and bite into the archer's neck. The deadly song of steel moving through the air would mix together with the sissing of dense chakra.

The ground beneath the archer's feet shifted and just as the sword moved to where her body was, she was thrust backward away from the sword. A young, childish woman appeared atop a boulder across the man, right behind the archer. She leapt down on the ground with an extravagant spin and slammed her hands on the ground. The ground started to shift and the snow started to melt before liquified earth bursted out like a blazing river between the two parties. The acrobat seemed to be dressed for the heat. "This is where we say goodbye," the archer said with a sheepish grin. "Until next time!" As the acrobat formed a few more handsigns, the boulder behind them moved to reveal a makeshift tunnel, clearly the work of ninjutsu.

Koike's eyes narrowed as his sword didn't bite into the archer. Cleaving just air, the Hon quickly recompossed himself. Gazing at the newcomers with a stern expression, only briefly eyeing the liquified earth that was set as barrier. Frustrated that he hadn't been able to land a lethal blow Koike didn't pursue the two. Spitting in the direction they had went, he would decide to head back. There were other matters that required his attention.

Heading back to the forest edge, half of the accompanied Sarutobi were waiting for him. Together, they would return to camp. None of the soldiers that had accompanied him or Katsu had received any wounds, making it back without being pursued. Great care was taken by those soldiers to remove their tracks and keeping their chakra suppressed. Walking briskly towards the few tents that were set up as medical tents, Koike was already pointed out where Katsu was layed and treated. Pushing aside the canvas, Koike's eyes had to adjust to the interior of the tent as he entered from outside.

Seeing Koike walk in, Katsu slowly sat up. "Ah… Hey," he said sheepishly. He seemed to be quiet for a few seconds before letting out a small chuckle. "Haha… Sorry, I broke the sword you lent me." He gestured to the shards of the broken knives and the hilt of the sword Koike had given him after his own broke some months earlier on a mission. After a few more moments of silence, he spoke up again. "Did you find them?"

The Hon didn't seem to mind the sword that much. Shrugging lightly as he crouched next to Katsu, he didn't answer right away. "They got away. I could have gone further but we have inflicted some deaths upon them. Despite that they likely won't feel that even with their numbers," the last sentence was filled with a bitter tone but Koike decided to put that aside. "Don't worry about the sword.--"

"And also Torrad's bow," Katsu added hesitantly. "And… some of the knives Hayate had made for me..."

Briefly, it became silent in the tent as Koike just nodded. Throwing a look at the broken knives and hilt, where a only a small resemblance of the blade remained, Koike scratched his chin. "A few knives that Hayate could likely repair with ease. As for the bow or other weaponry? Don't fret so much. It is more important that you are alive." Deciding to sit down, Koike released a sigh. "Easier to repair a weapon than pulling somebody from the dead, I wager."

Katsu started to laugh, but quickly doubled over in pain. "Ah… It hurts to laugh," he grumbled. He looked up at Koike with a meek smile. "You'd know. You pulled me from the brink before, remember?" His hand went up to feel the burn scar under the phoenix mark on his chest.

"I remember. Was in the Tea country, if I remember correctly." Though a ghost of a smile dawned on Koike's lips, he didn't look back with much joy. "I guess that you owe me two by now then, heh."

The young soldier gave a small nod in response. "I guess so. I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to repay you soon," he said, looking down at the closed wound on his side. "A whole new land... " he muttered. He looked up at Koike and dropped his legs from the side of the makeshift stretcher. "Any news from the Captain?"

"If you don't mind me saying, I hope you won't. Between you and me, I rather not get stuck in a tent like this. Or getting a new addition to the collection," Running his right index finger over the scarred nosebridge, Koike would shake his head afterwards. "No. Not yet but that is okay. I expect him by the evening. There will be likely some report or meeting being arranged. Cause the Republic did also sent a force to a similar task. Let us hope that they won't have encountered much hostiles."

"I see." Katsu looked down for a moment before pushing himself up to his feet, slowly getting up with a wrinkled face. "Hm..." He placed his hand on the closed wound for a moment. "I should get walking again before..." he said to himself. "I suppose I'll have to visit the blacksmith soon anyway."

"What you should do is taking it easy. For now. When I want to move out, you better be able to walk. So place some effort in sitting still." Koike replied back. "As for the weapons? Don't fret over it. We will get them fixed once we make it back to the main camp." Getting up, Koike seemed to have something he wanted to say but decided against it. "Rest for now. I will be back once I have news or made new plans." Nodding to his friend and aid, Koike would turn and exit the tent. Returning to the cold, he briefly considered to take out another company of soldiers. Perhaps they would be able to track and pursue the enemies of before. But he decided against it.
[/spoili]
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Heading Back!, #33cccc, dashed, 10, Tahoma"]
Yukimi Yuki | Team 11 Chuunin | Kirigakure

Turning to listen to Nishi, Yukimi's eyes flickered for a moment towards the closest of their captives. The man she had threatened, who was now oddly silent. Then that heavy pressure suddenly set in, and the air around her suddenly snapped as the temperature plummeted. Worry about possible hostiles, though that worry soon fell away as the source of the pressure shifted towards Nishi. Yukimi's eyes narrowed ever so slightly as the Jounin spoke. As if there was ever a doubt she'd perform at anything but her best? It'd bring dishonor to her family name, and no doubt she'd hear about it from father. As the threat at the end came in, Yukimi forced a blank expression. If this woman deigned so far as to lay a finger on her, Yukimi decided she would do whatever Father asked. Enough for him to be willing to ensure that this woman's life would be ruined. Nobody was allowed to touch her. Despite her thoughts inside, Yukimi's emotionless mask did not once waver. The only hints of emotion being a slight shake in her hand, as if intimidated by something.

As the pressure flowed away, the Chuunin moved forwards to take her position in the middle, ordering a few prisoners to stand in order to get things moving along. She decided she would attempt to keep this woman happy, it would be a bother if she had to do more to keep Father happy. A slight sigh left her lips as she cast a sideways glance towards the prisoner closest to her. He seemed to have become complacent, and the Chuunin wondered if this was an act or if he realized how horribly outclassed he was. Then they started moving out towards the city once again. As they walked, Yukimi kept a vigilant watch on the surroundings and their prisoners. As she did so, Yukimi froze a small film of water over her palm. Enough to make a small shard if anything tried to catch them by surprise.

Having some time to think on their way back, Yukimi gathered her thoughts about her team. Nishi. Despite being the team leader and a jounin, Yukimi wasn't sure she was overly fond of the woman. Attempting to use some sort of fear to keep the group in line, pathetic. She doubted it would work anything, that woman wasn't even the slightest terrifying. She'd hold no hold over her with something like that, only out of caring for her family's reputation would she listen. Then there was the genin. Casting her gaze forward, she looked at the genin for a brief moment. Claire. Couldn't hold her own in the fight, but such a thing was to be expected from somebody new. Perhaps she should offer to help the girl get better? Not that Yukimi herself could fight, but she could try to help. Though it seemed like a bit of extra work just to ensure her own hide. She was fairly certain that their leader would take care of it. Still. It was good to see the genin seemed to make it through without any major injuries. She'd didn't want to have to deal with the mess.[/hr][/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Past failure and a new chance, royalblue]
Mika Hayashi,

| The leader of Kiri Team 14| Republic of the Water Country | Kirigakure, capital of the Republic - Training Field 8|

The morning was rising slowly on the horizon. The mist that hangs low wasn't preventing people from getting their establishments open or their stands ready for the day. There were plenty of folk getting out of their comfortable homes to work or attend other important affairs. Ships that sailed towards the port and from it. All and all, today didn't seem much different for most people than usual.

However, it was different for Mika. Her arms were crossed out front of her chest. Geared up as if she was ready to embark on a mission, the jounin couldn't get the bitter taste of defeat out of her mouth. Nor the memory of the last mission. They had attempted to move into the abandoned Oda compound for the second time. Where it had slightly gone better than the first attempt, they had been forced to retreat once more. The newest addition became the newly deceased and Mika had decided to give the other two genin a small break. It became clear that the genin she was getting wasn't cut out for the kind of missions that were forced upon the past generations. Not that it was their fault in her opinion. It was too simple to blame it on the inexperienced recruits.

But that didn't take away that something should be done. Throwing a look at the field she was standing on, there didn't seem to be much preparation at the ready. There were three dummies set up on the right end of the grass field and that seemed to be it. However, there would be more to it.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Team 17 - A Question of Ability: Part II, #00B2EE"]Kukiko Yuki, Shion Kobayashi, and Shika Yukimura | Republic of the Water Country, Kirigakure - Training Grounds
A collaboration between @Walter Swan, @malina, and @FrostedCaramel

Part I

Team 17 meets for the first time, and Kukiko decides to test her new Genin's abilities with a well known test involving two bells.
[spoili]
Kukiko watched as Shion stepped up to once again face her, slightly self conscious of the fact of her constant coughing but most of her focus was taken up by her amusement that Shion decided to yell out that she had a surprise in mind. She turned her head to her left to watch as the water clone that Shion summoned as a "surprise" ran wide to come back in and strike. She brought her attention off the water clone as she judged she would have time to deal with it later, and instead moved back to deal with Shion at her front as the girl moved to put Kukiko in range of her sword.

She was going to begin stepping back when a water clone quickly formed from the wet ground beneath her, rising up as it did and clutching at her legs. Her eyes wide with surprise, Kukiko found her legs wrapped up in the water clones embrace and a strike from Shion following close behind, 'Clever…' Kukiko thought as she formed a tiger handseal. The clone at her feet, starting from where it was touching Kukiko, quickly froze outwards, a look of confusion apparent on its face as it did. At the same time, and likely unnoticed by her students, Kukiko would drop one of the bells onto the clone, letting it be frozen into the clone as a permanent fixture that, if noticed, would count for one of them to get a bell as she was impressed by Shion's deception, and were she not a Yuki, it likely would have been enough to get both bells if only by shear surprise.

The clone frozen around Kukiko's legs, she gritted her teeth and made no attempt to move as Shion's katana plunged into her shoulder, hoping that the fact it would strike would stun her student if only for a moment. A warm feeling quickly emanating from the spot that the sword stuck out of Kukiko, she wasted no time pulling a kunai from the pouch at her waist and quietly raising it up to Shion's neck by simply raising her arm out to reach the girl that was now directly in front of her. With a smile she spoke, "Checkmate, maybe?" she asked the girl as she pressed the kunai gently onto her neck.

"No," Shion replied, her eyes scanning Kukiko's body and her surroundings, "Not really."

"If this is a real battle, an actual enemy wouldn't even give you a chance to draw your kunai," she explained, "They would either bisect you with a diagonal slash or pierce your throat with a stab, for a quick and clean kill."

Meanwhile Shion's other clone whispered to Shika, "Don't worry about her and continue with the plan. She's counting on you for cases like this. And since she forgot, non-lethal if possible."

"But this is not a real battle, is it, sensei?" the original continued, "Which is why I went for the dumbest possible spot to stab. To specifically not kill you."

"Therefore sensei, if this is a real battle," Shion suddenly leaned her head back out of the kunai's range while at the same time, one of the hands holding the katana came up in an attempt to push Kukiko's arm off to the side, away from the young swordsman's throat, while in the very same motion, winding her hand to grab and twist the Jonin's wrist, "You would be already dead."

Shika hadn't expected to see her teacher get stabbed. The sight of blood quickened her breath and were it not for the clone assuring her that Shion was alright, Shika would have run after the two instead of sticking to the plan. Which was not really much of a plan, she reflected. More of a loose set of ideas. She came into sight, aimed, then loosed her arrow. It was meant for Kukiko's shoulder—with Shion in the way, there was no better target. She could have aimed for her head, she supposed, but seeing how Kukiko had been stabbed—something she'd thought impossible— it was better to aim for a less lethal area. She then placed her bow on the ground and ran towards the grappling pair. She hadn't practised her archery seriously in forever and despite the fact that Kukiko had told them to "go all out", she didn't want to hurt any of her team-mates. She unsheathed her sword.

"Let her go, sensei."

Kukiko listened intently to her student, ranting on and on about what would happen if this had been a real battle, a real opponent, real circumstances. Behind Shion's head, Kukiko was able to watch as Shika and Shion's clone exchanged some words and Shika pulled back on her bow string, at the same time Shion leaned away from the kunai in Kukiko's hand and moved to push it away from herself, which Kukiko wouldn't allow as she dropped the Kunai and brought her hands together in front of her, forming six hand seals in the short time that it took Shion to reign her hand back in, a torrent of water would suddenly surge forth from Kukiko's mouth, pointblank into Shion as they stood so close.

The water surged from Kukiko, throwing Shion some distance away from the force as it formed a wall between Kukiko and her two students, while at the same time intercepting the arrow that Shika had loosed from her bow just a second earlier. As the Water Formation Wall technique took it's form of a large wall of water and Shion's katana clattered to the ground without anyone to keep it in place, Kukiko would use her Ice Release to completely freeze the roiling wall of water, leaving a wall of crystal clear ice between her students and her.

She searched through the ice to find Shion, drenched on the ground almost fifteen meters away, "Were this a real battle Shion, you'd have both been dead long ago." she yelled loud enough to be heard through the ice wall. After her words she would once again form a series of hand seals.

From the wall of ice in front of her students, the ice would crack and chip, rising from it eight separate shards of ice, nearly a meter in length and three centimeters in diameter roughly resembling spears would emerge from the ice. Seeming to float in the air, the spears would each seem to aim for one of the students, four for each of the Genin, before they shot forward without any warning, covering the ground as quickly as an arrow from Shika's bow.

"Wh-!" Shion's question was cut short as a torrent of water crashed into her stomach, sending her flying away before she crashed into the ground.

"Haah, haah, haah," the young swordsman gasped in agony as she got up, clutching her stomach. She collapsed to her knees as pain strangled her guts, "Oooh."

"Oh," Shion looked up at the water wall, now freezing into ice. It looked like Kukiko summoned a water wall first before she froze it using her bloodline. Shion looked on as spears emerged from the ice wall, her eyes widening as four of them suddenly shot towards her, "Oh, cur-!"

If not for her clone, tackling her out of the spears' trajectory, Shion would be skewered in place of her unfortunate clone, now melting back into water.

"Gghh," Shion stood up, clutching her stomach as she gritted through the agony. As much as she didn't like the pain crushing her guts, she would have to live with it for now, "With all the times we killed each other, we might as well be zombies."

"No," Shion's left eyebrow twitched as she felt empty-air in her right hand, which should be holding her katana. Her cocky smile widened into a haunted, silent scream as she realized that the katana was still stuck in Kukiko's shoulder when she was blasted away by the Jonin's jutsu, "No way!"

"Curses, that's what I get for going easy, I guess," Shion muttered with a grimace as she removed her katana's sheath from her sash. It would seem that she would have to use her sheathe in place of her katana. But looking on the bright side though, she no longer have to pull any punches on Kukiko. That thought alone put her cocky smile back on her face.

Shika hadn't been as quick as her team-mate. The icicles weren't fatal, as her clone had pushed her out of the way, but she'd suffered a grievous wound to her right arm. Her clothes had been shredded near her midriff and blood began seeping through the scrapes on her ribs. Small red droplets slowly pushed their way out of her skin and ran down her stomach. She tried to speak but merely let out a gasp. Would, she wondered, her teacher have the audacity to actually kill her? The way of the shinobi was a dimly lit path. But would Kukiko actually kill her own students? Her old team had seemed so idyllic compared to this; they had spent their time repairing the streets.

"Shion, here." She handed her sword towards her teammate, hilt first. "I'm sorry that I haven't been of much use to you." Her bow lay a few feet behind her; her arrows remained scattered on the ground. What good was an one-armed archer? Her clone gone, one useless arm, no sword… there was nothing useful she had left. Unless…

"My arm," she gestured. "I can't really do anything much. I suppose I've gone and bungled up the whole thing. But Sensei's wall is down so if there's anything I can do, it's now, I suppose. I guess I can run at her… my taijutsu's not so great but no one can ignore a kick to the face, can they? Well… even if we don't get a bell today… oh, it's better not to dwell on these things, huh? See if you can find an opening."
She ran towards her teacher, aiming to hinder her in what small ways she could. A kick to the legs here, a punch to the ribs there—something to make an opening for Shion.

Kukiko was surprised once the wall of ice was down to see that not only was Shion back up, but she also appeared far more determined than before, as if she had realized that up until this point Kukiko had only been holding herself back in her actions. 'Too bad determination alone doesn't win battles.' she thought as she caught movement to her side, in the direction that Shika had last been. The girl was weaponless, and appeared to have taken a bit of a hit from her ice shards ass was evident from the wound at her side and the way her right arm hung limp, although it was nothing fatal. Kukiko was a little disappointed that she had failed to completely dodge such a choreographed attack. She frowned before she too began to run for Shika.

Them both charging each other they closed the gap between them quickly, Kukiko brought her arms up to defend whatever it was Shika had planned while at the same time she spoke to the girl as if they were sitting across from each other at a dinner table, "Shika, I expected more of an archer such as yourself to be able to dodge the enemies projectiles…" she said as she met the Genin and formed a fist full of water in her right hand.

"Oh, thanks," Shion took Shika's sword thoughtlessly as she played with it a few times to test its balance. A fine blade for sure and she trained with wazikashi before so she could easily adapt to it quite easily. However working with a sharp blade was exactly what led to her going easy on her for the sake of avoiding an accidental murder, resulting in the loss of her sword. It would be best if she stuck to her sheath for now as non-lethal weapon would allow her to go all-out against Kukiko.

As Shion was about to give Shika her sword back, the young archer started explaining her plan, making her listen to it first before returning the blade. As Shika finished explaining, she paused as she remembered something back from her clash with Kukiko.

'Come to think of it, didn't sensei drop a bell?' Shion wondered as an image of a bell dropping from Kukiko's hand flashed across her mind.. She was pulled out of her thoughts however as she noticed Shika preparing to face Kukiko head-on, "Ah, wait."

Shion was surprised that the girl hadn't given up yet despite her arm being skewered by icicles. Though she admired her determination, a genin facing a jonin head-on in a Taijutsu duel isn't a good idea, especially with one-arm crippled. Seeing as she was too late to stop her Shion decided to follow Shika's lead after she secured the wazikashi in her sash, trailing behind the young archer as she waited for her chance to strike.

As Kukiko finished defending against Shika's blow and prepared her counter-attack, Shion saw her chance, a brief moment where the jonin was focused solely on the young archer with her healthy arm, occupied with a jutsu.

"Sensei!" Shion shouted as she dashed around Kukiko's right side and threw 3 shurikens at the jonin's arm, its hand currently charging a water jutsu, "Catch!"

Shika's wounds jarred painfully as her teacher blocked her attacks. As expected, her mediocre taijutsu was barely useful for a distraction, let alone a successful attack. She grimaced slightly from both the pain and her teacher's remarks. Although she did not particularly want to become a shinobi, the fact that her skills had deteriorated stung her just the same as any wound.

"I-I…" She panted. "I'll do better next time, sensei."

Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted her teammate aiming for her teacher's arm. Shika decided to attempt to grab her teacher to lessen the chances of her escaping. She grit her teeth, fully aware of the possibility of taking a blow, and grasped for her teacher's hand.

Kukiko turned her head to the side as Shion ran up on her and Shika, her shuriken brandished as she did. She began to start to move, only to find herself surprised when Shika grabbed her hand, causing her to not be able to run from the strike. In the brief moment she had to do anything to avoid the shuriken Kukiko dropped the water from her fist onto the ground below her and suddenly fell seemingly into the ground, pulling Shika down with her as she went.

Watching from within the puddle Kukiko couldn't help but feel as if she'd been at least a little too confident as her left hand remained above the puddle, clutched in Shikas own hand. And hanging from between the fingers of that same hand, was the final bell.

"Oh, come on!" Shion cursed as she saw Kukiko started to fall into the ground? No, it was a puddle created by the water from before, used to power the jonin's punch. Regardless Shika grabbed onto Kukiko's arm earlier to hold her in place for Shion's shurikens, which meant she was now falling into the puddle along with the jonin.

"Shika-chan, let go!" Shion shouted as she sprinted to sides of Shika to help her pull away her hand, "Oh, the bell! Don't forget the bell!"

The shurikens had whistled as they passed by; her teacher's sudden descent had put Shika too close for comfort towards her teammate's attack. Again, it made her wonder if Kukiko would actually let her die. It seemed such a perverse thing—that a teacher kill her student—that it stunned her momentarily. It took her a few moments to process that her teammate was tugging on her arm. Her voice seemed so distant to Shika and a small glinting flash directed her attention elsewhere—on Kukiko's hand grasping hers. She wondered if her teacher could see her from the puddle. All Shika saw was her own reflection; she looked miles apart from the well put together girl from the morning. Now she was a bloodied, frowning, dirty mess.

"The bell. Oh, the bell!"

With the help of her teammate, Shika braced her legs against the ground and pulled. Her teacher's grip was relentless. She wondered if she too, would be dragged into the puddle. What part of her teacher would she be drowning against? Her feet, turned into water? She shook her head before clawing at her assailant's wrist. A twitch.
"I'm sorry, sensei."
Shika began to thrash about and even resorted to kicking and biting before she fell over backwards, pushing Shion alongside her. The bell was theirs.

Kukiko flinched a little as Shika pulled and tugged and gashed at her wrist with her nails, in the end it wasn't like she was going to be coming out of the puddle with an enemy right above her so instead she simply allowed Shika to take the bell and fall away. Kukiko rose from the puddle at the feet of her two students and gave them a smile, "Congratulations you two." she stated as she gestured to the bell in Shika's hand, "You managed to get the bells, even if you hadn't I wouldn't have turned you over to another team, but at least know I can be confident in both of your abilities better than your records can convey." she stepped out of the puddle while the small beads of water on her body froze into ice. Kukiko hopped into the air a few inches, the ice falling off all at once with the small impact of landing.

Kukiko grimaced as the pain in her shoulder came back from the landing and grasped her shoulder where Shion's sword had gotten her. She looked to Shika and pointed in the direction of the nearest medical station some ways away at the entrance of the training grounds, "We should probably go and get patched up." she said as she eyed her students arm limp at her side, "Otherwise I've nothing more for you two, you'll get word we we have a mission." she stated. She smiled once more at her students then started to walk in the direction of the medical area.

"Wait, that's it?" Shion asked Kukiko as she relaxed from her fighting stance, "I thought there was one bell left."

"I mean you dropped it when I stabbed you," she pointed at the frozen clone stuck in the ground behind her, "Right over there, you froze it inside my clone."

"I distinctly remembered not grabbing it since you sucker-blasted me with that jutsu," she recalled before clutching her stomach at the memory of that moment, "Ow..."

Kukiko stopped, a little bit surprised that Shion seemed a little disappointed that it was over and they hadn't really gotten the first of the bells. She thought for a moment as she turned back to Shion and Shika, "That's it." she said blankly, "I'm confident in you both, this wasn't a test to get the bells, it was to see what you two could do." she pointed at Shika and then to Shion and back with a finger, "To see how well you'd both work together after only just meeting." she stated before placing her arms across her chest, "I need a Team, not three Shinobi that don't work together. This proved you two will make a Team to me." she said, the smile growing on her face wiped by a sudden coughing fit. She turned from her students and waved a hand behind herself signalling not to worry.

A few moments later and a bit more red faced than earlier Kukiko turned back, "I don't really care about the bells in honesty. Be ready for word later, you're both part of a Team now, and Teams get missions." she said as she smiled once more and began to walk backwards just incase either of them had anything more to say.

"If you say so then, sensei," Shion replied, "Not that I'm complaining."

"Anyway you guys head on ahead," Shion said as she walked away from Kukiko and Shika, and towards the sword right besides the frozen clone, "I'm gonna go pick up my katana."

"Oh, also Shika," she placed the wazikashi in the young archer's hand as she passed her, "Thanks for your blade."

As Shion kneeled down to pick up her katana, she glanced over at the bell still stuck with her frozen clone. After thinking to herself for a moment, she shouted back to her teacher and her partner, "Don't wait for me. It looks like I will be taking a bit longer."

She then pulled out her kunai and started chipping away at the frozen clone to dig out the bell. It would make a nice trophy and a decoration for her katana.[/spoili][/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=The Rose and Wolf, violet]
Empire of Akino,
Hon Clan Lands.
Magnhild - The Seat of the White Wolf.

A relatively short collab between Gerontis and Lesli

Summary:
Aiko arrived in Magnhild with her team. Arranging rooms for her team in an inn, she heads to the inner section of the stronghold-city. Entering the old halls, she is reunited with her family. The blissful moment, however, is soon whisked away as matters of politics demand both her and Zakito's attention.

[spoili]

Walking through the hall, Aiko could hear the echo of her boots resonating. The candles that shed a dim light in the large and dark halls, created a mysterious atmosphere. Aiko couldn't see much features on the various tapestries and paintings until she passed them. Heading to the main hall, Aiko barely came across a living soul. A few guards on their patrol or a servant that was heading somewhere to attend to his or her task. Once arriving at the entrance of the main hall, the two doors that barred the way were set wide open. The guards at the entrance said nothing, merely lowered their head as Aiko passed into the room.

"Mama!"
"Mama!"

Kneeling down as Akimoto and Kei came running towards her, a smile dawned on Aiko's lips. Spreading her arms, the woman would embrace her children in a hug. Holding both of the younglings close for a moment, Aiko would gently push them backwards. Eyeing them both, she would ruffle Akimoto's hair and gently squeeze Kei's arm. "My little heroes. Shouldn't' you both be in bed by now?" She asked.

Akimoto shot a quick sideways look at Kei. The latter shook her head and pointed in the direction they came from. At one of the long tables sat an old man, who nodded towards Aiko. "We were getting a story from Kenta. He just told us about an adventure of Atsushi," "And the Dragon Turtle!" Akimoto said, earning a frown from Kei.

"Okay, but it is getting late. I want you two to get some sleep after the story. And no mischief." Giving both a stern look for a moment, Aiko would hold the expression until she earned a nod from both. "Go. We will spend some time tomorrow." The promise was enough to make the two younglings smile before scurrying back to the old man. Rising up, Aiko spotted another figure, waiting with arms crossed as he leaned against a table.
"I didn't expect you to be here so soon. I figured that I would arrive here before you would."

Zakito chuckled as he nodded towards Akimoto and Kei, who had climbed the bench and were once more fixated on Kenta. The old man continued where he had left off and it was clearly an exciting part as both Akimoto and Kei were listening with their small eyes wide open and sitting close to one another. "I had planned to leave later but some things went better than expected, back in Konoha. How was your journey?"

Aiko placed her hands on her sides as the facial expression showed what she thought. "Dreadful. I remember why I don't fancy the Rain that much. Luckily, most of the trek wasn't stained with rain. I think I have seen enough pour for quite some time." Was Aiko's answer. Eyeing her husband, Aiko wanted to ask something. However, she decided to not ask it right now. "And yours?" A sliver of amusement was present in the woman's tone.

"Could have gone smoother. I decided to ride towards Magnhild instead of using other means of travel. I decided to take both Akimoto and Kei with me. There are several developments that might make it safer for them to be here. In any case, Kenta seems to enjoy their company." Zakito threw a glance briefly in the direction of the old man and the two children, before placing his attention back at Aiko. "I trust that you have instructed your team with what I asked through the seal?"

Aiko nodded. The instruction had been clear but she had questions. "Yes, though I wonder why you deigned not to inform me more. Why did I have to instruct Neji to keep his surname and sharingan off track? Sure, Uchiha aren't the most common folk in these parts of the world. But I doubt that he gain that much trouble from that." Aiko replied, a frown once more appearing on her brow.

"That is because of a development. Not so long ago, a large armed force was taken out by Blackroots, Rachon Hons and Sarutobi from Pinedale. This armed force flying the banner of the Uchiha clan has risen quite some bile with these three. And word is spreading to the point that some start to consider if the Uchiha are wanting to pick a fight with us." Zakito calmly answered. He paused before he continued. "Though most of the jarls and thegns don't believe that the Uchiha actually is behind this attack, there are some who seek to gain something out of it. Or just want a scapegoat. I am still trying to prevent that more blood will be shed."

Biting her lower lip for a second, Aiko felt her mood dropping. If that was the case, she should keep an eye on Neji. Hopefully, he wouldn't indeed slip and say his surname or have to force his sharingan. "Are the other clans aware of this?" Aiko asked, already fearing what this could mean.

"Most likely. I reckon that Shozo will be most wary and keep a close eye on what happens. I deign to inform him of that I will not let any bloodshed happen between us. Nothing good will come from it." Zakito replied. "Besides, the clan meeting is to be held here. I intend to make certain that none of the trouble will get near Magnhild. The Grey Guard have a close control on the city's perimeter and inside of it. If anything, I might double the guard and try to figure out more on how such a large force came to be. It will likely be because of the Zealots having mustered mercenaries to a central point before moving to instigate trouble."

A soft sigh escaped Aiko. This was quite troublesome indeed. If things wouldn't be handled correctly, they were on the brink of a clan conflict. That could break the empire into two camps. "Is there anything I can do to help? I am certain that if anything, Shozo will be open to talking with us. He is perhaps no ally but he is certainly not the enemy."

Shaking his head lightly, Zakito responded back. "For now? No. I have things under control. You should attend to yourself. We can later talk more about politics." Throwing a brief glance at the twin as Akimoto made a soft yelp, burying his head against Kei's shoulder when Kenta suddenly raised his voice during his story, Zakito chuckled. "Things are still fine, after all."

Only for how long? Aiko wanted to push the question aside. Think of other matters. Yet, a yawn escaped her and before she could contain it, her lips already parted. "Yes. I intend to spend some time tomorrow with one of my students. Though," taking a step closer to Zakito, the woman's eyes half closed. "I haven't had a proper dinner for some time."

"I already arranged a dinner for two. A hot bath with rose petals and scented candles. As I said, I have the situation under control." The man answered, not hiding his amusement. "Now, you should get some sleep. I will join you soon."

Hearing that he had already arranged something, Aiko's head slightly tilted to the right. "You better." Leaning forward to place a kiss on Zakito's cheek, she would flash a smile before turning. Throwing a glance towards Akimoto and Kei, the smile grew. Once more, Aiko couldn't contain a yawn. Raising a hand to cover her mouth, she couldn't help but look forward to sleep in a comfortable bed once more.

[/spoili]
[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
Reactions: timv999
[fieldbox=Two Butterflies in a Wolf's Den, violet]
Empire of Akino,
Hon Clan Lands.
Magnhild - The Seat of the White Wolf.

A relatively long collab between Winter and Lesli
Part 1

Summary:
The next morning after arriving in Magnhild with team 8, Aiko sets out to venture back to the 'Thirsty Boar' - where she arranged some lodges for her students. Once gathering up with Satia, the two spend some time together. Talking, shopping and relaxing.

[spoili]
Slowly and gently, snow started to fall from the dark grey blanket that hide the stark blue sky as warm rays of the sun. The cold nor weather seemed to halt the activity in the large city. The streets were already sprawling with people that were heading to their work or off to another destination in the large city. Walking through the streets, Aiko was grateful for the hood that hide her features. And unlike in Konohagakure, there wasn't much Taika used. The fact that Chonobi was the dominant language was a welcome change, in Aiko's opinion. Not that she had any reason to miss or long for it but it brought some memories back of the past.
Shaking the memories and thoughts off from her mind Aiko continued to the inn where she had arrange a place to stay for her students. Though a day had passed, there was some worry that one of them was already causing some trouble. Why she thought of that, wasn't even entirely clear to Aiko. If anything, none of the three that made up her team was troublesome. Not in any sense as some past students.

Arriving at the inn yard, Aiko would enter the establishment. Being received by the old woman, who went by the name of Borghildr, Aiko briefly spoke with the woman. Stating that she was hoping that one of the three pupils was awake. The old woman would reply that she would take a look, after Aiko further described for which of the three she was looking for. As the old woman would climb the stairs, toward the room where Satia Cho would reside, Aiko would wait downstairs.
The old woman would knock three times on the door of Satia's room, waiting outside while speaking up. "Dear, are you awake? Your caretaker is here to see you."

Having spent so long on the road it was a welcome change of pace to spend a little time inside of a room. The young Genin was certainly in no hurry to leave and decided to make use of the time to set her things down and make some notes in her books, including some details on plants she'd come by and adding a little bit of information beside the preexisting discoveries. Satia also took some time to note down the travel so far, writing small pieces of information about her comrades, albeit nothing too detailing but enough to document them as part of her journey so far. She took in a large breath and closed her eyes as she focused on her breathing, an exercise she liked to do quite regularly as she felt it prudent to train her breathing as such to maintain a strong grip on her wind release skill sets. She was about to drift into a soft meditation with her breathing when three knocks disturbed her, causing her to flinch a little as she looked towards the door.

Caretaker was not a familiar term to her but nevertheless she could imagine whom it might be considering who she'd traveled her with. "I'll be right down, thank you" she replied softly, adjusting herself to be more presentable before slipping on her footwear. After turning out the candle lamp which lit her room she stepped out and nodded respectfully to the Innkeeper before making her way downstairs where upon seeing Aiko waiting she smiled, opening with the traditional Cho greeting as she pressed her left fist against her right palm and bowed her head forwards. "Aiko-Sensei, what can I do for you?" she asked.

Sunken away in thoughts, Aiko's attention shifted to the approaching young woman. A smile crossed Aiko's lips as Satia greeted her. Returning the respectful gesture in kind, the woman had already a few witty answers at the ready. But she decided against it.
"Accompany me today. That is if you are willing and curious enough. I need to pick up some goods and arrange some matters. I reckon that you will be most curious, seeing your interests in herbalism and botany." Was the answer of Aiko. Already half turning around, the woman flashed a smile towards her pupil.
"I must add that it won't be as exciting as learning new and cool techniques but might be nice exchange from the travelling we have done these past days. Or well, weeks." She said, correcting herself at the end. "So, are you coming? I also know this teahouse with a very interesting history to it."

The Jounin could have summoned her for any reason, a report, a message or perhaps even a mission. But to her pleasant surprise it was merely to hang out, something Satia could more than appreciate given their recent slog through the rain and besides if their last interactions were anything to go by than sharing Aiko's company would be quite an enjoyable experience indeed. "I'd love to!" she replied with a gentle chuckle as she stepped up to join Aiko at her side, indeed curious at the mention of her interests being involved in whatever business it was Aiko needed to conclude here. The mention of history was just icing on the cake, the Genin a seeker of knowledge perhaps greater than her pursuit of power, "You've managed to say all the right words to peek my interests, how could I refuse?" she responded, making sure to grab her coat from the hook as to avoid anymore unfortunate weather.

"Then let us not waste any time." The jounin replied back. Leading the way, the two Cho would exit the inn. Greeted by the cold and light snowfall, the two would walk down the street. As they walked, Aiko spoke up. Seeing the city and region, she doubted that anybody would frown or consider it odd for them to converse in Chonobi.
"If I am not mistaken, you are somebody who is interested in herbalism and botany, no? I need to replenish some supplies in order to craft some tonics, an emetic and some more products. In fact, using certain products to inflict conditions upon my opponents is a way how I deal with foes. But outside of combat and mission uses, it is quite useful for other uses."
Pausing for a moment, a faint smile crossed Aiko's smile.
"Today, I want to gather some supplies to make a strong tonic for an acquaintance. He is a tad old and suffers quite some pain the back and shoulders. Though too stubborn to admit it, I must add. I know that Kazumo is quite fond of learning more about various plants, certainly poison, but I figured that you would be more interested in the other uses of herbs. Maybe you could even teach me something I have yet to learn."

Satia both hated and adored the snow at the same time. On one hand, it was clean and beautiful but on the other, it made her studies more difficult as the chilling bite would often kill most plants or render their bounty unable to be used due to being otherwise spoiled. Listening to Aiko the Genin had to wrestle back her excitement, feeling within her element as various ideas for such things entered her mind in bulk, from plant names and likely locations to combinations of various extracts to create desired effects. Though her smile soon faded when a snowflake stung the skin on her nose, reminding her that perhaps this task wouldn't be as straightforward as she'd thought. "I see" she replied at first, thinking about how she might be able to replicate the effects.

"I often seek similar methods in handling opponents, but I should imagine you already knew as much" Satia gave an amused smile towards Aiko as they walked, her eyes moving to observe their surroundings. "That being said it seems the snow is working against us, finding the plants we need to create your desired tonic won't be so easy... though not impossible" she exhaled, her warm breath plumbing into the cold air in front of them as she thought. "Although the weather takes away, often it poses opportunity... for example, the snow should bite and burn away the thicker foliage, exposing roots, weeds and bramble" Satia was half talking out loud, half explaining her method. "If a thicket is nearby we might just find what we're looking for".

The response of Satia did certainly amuse Aiko. Shooting a sideways look at her student, Aiko would reply back. "True. The snow would hinder a search for the plants and resources to make the tonic for this acquaintance of mine. We will first head to a market to see if we can get buy the ingredients. I do doubt that we can find all there but in case of need, we can travel today to the nearby woods. As you said, the snow will make it easier to dig up some roots as such."

Becoming silent for a moment, Aiko pondered about something. "Perhaps I will let you try to brew the tonic. It is fairly easy once you have the ingredients. It doesn't require any additional alcoholic or cane sugar. It has a mild fragrant scent. And seeing the age of my acquaintance, it is luckily easy on the stomach." The jounin further said. "I do hope that we can complete the tonic today. Cause I do need it to be done before the imminent event that will take place. If we have some more time, we can devote it to another recipe of mine. One that you may then find some use for yourself in future missions and what not. That is," Aiko threw another look at Satia, the faint smile still present on the woman's lips. "If you would be interested to learn a recipe of mine. It is quite easy in producing and handling."

Satia closed her eyes with an amused smile as she realized she'd gotten ahead of herself, having not even considered buying the ingredients when she'd been so used to procuring them on her own. It was a good way to save money and a good way of making money when she could sell the ingredients to stores or even manufacture certain desired goods. Opening her eyes again she listened as Aiko spoke and nodded in understanding, "I will do my best" she replied simply once again excited at the prospect of knowledge and the challenge of creating something she hadn't made before. Of course, she'd made quite a few different healing salves and remedies for certain effects, though a new recipe or a recipe that could perhaps simplify one of her own was a welcome idea indeed. "I'd definitely be interested in learning what you have to offer" she bowed her head respectfully. Satia let her mind wander for a moment before deciding to include Aiko into something the Genin had been working on, "Aiko-Sensei, I've been working on the technique you taught me. However should we have time, I may have come up with a technique of my own which might interest you, given we share an affinity for how we deal with opponents... in fact, you may have inspired me to it with our last training exercise" the young Genin smiled.

The enthusiasm of Satia to learn and indulge in more than just combat skills as techniques was something that Aiko found refreshing. It had only been a few students that were so eager to learn and delve into skills that were useful outside fighting. Too few, in Aiko's opinion, as combat wasn't the entire point of a shinobi or any covert operative. When Satia spoke of that she had been inspired by the last training, the jounin was genuinely surprised. But the surprise was quickly replaced by curiosity. "Oh?" The right eyebrow of Aiko slightly perked up, the faint smile becoming clearer. "You caught my attention. I am certainly interested as willing to set some time aside to aid you."

Taking a right turn, the two Cho would enter a street that was brimming with activity. Stands were set up with the owners eagerly greeting bypassers and trying to pique interest for their wares. A few establishments had their wares also stalled out. Dozens of bypassers walked up and down the street, despite the cold and mild snowfall. "Do not stray too far. There isn't much crime but sadly there are pickpockets. And they do thrive the best in streets like these." Aiko figured that was enough of a warning. Though it was a slightly amusing idea to have a pickpocket try to wager his or her luck on a genin.
Walking past a few stands and establishments, Aiko would slowly come to a halt. There was a small establishment. A mild and mixed scent originated from the place, even with the doors closed to keep the warmth inside. Going inside, Aiko and Satia would be greeted by a stronger scent that seemed to be a mixture of various sources. Roots, herbs and other ingredients of plants were organised in small glass jars or bundled together by a small piece of rope. While others, such as roots, were stored as displayed in small boxes.
"If you need anything, do say the word. I don't mind."

The Genin was pleased that Aiko was willing to entertain her offer to show her a technique she'd been working on. It wasn't yet refined and needed a lot of work to ensure it was practical but the concept of it came to Satia as something versatile in more ways than just one, of course, she intended to explain everything when they had the time for it. To Aiko's warning, the Cho gave a single nod of understanding, her eyes seeming to glint for a moment as she began to focus in on details to their surroundings, her higher sense of perception kicking in to be aware of their surroundings. Such concepts of color, shape and contrast of tones became more visible to the Genin as if they were individually outlined, unbeknownst to the Genin this talent was what enabled her to intercept projectiles mid-flight, make precise strikes and other such feats of intense precision that catered not only her combat style, but her utility in situations such as this.

The inside of the store wasn't too unlike others she'd seen before, but it was clear she was at home the moment she stepped inside after Aiko. The scents and aroma, the different shapes, sizes and colours of various flora which could be found everywhere one would look all combined to please the young Genin's senses, inspiring her work almost instantly as she wasted little time in approaching the merchandise. Unlike perhaps the usual shopper, Satia was rather critical in which ingredient she would pick as she eyed the intricate details of each ingredient, even conversing with the store owner to discuss the condition and housing of the ingredients. Eventually, Satia collected an assortment of items, including a thick grubby looking root, a long yellow stem, two bulbs, a packet of specific leaves, a vile of sap and finally an assortment of herbs already processed via pestle and mortar.

"I believe these should be enough to create the tonic" she looked to Aiko with a smile, wondering if the Jounin had any suggestions of her own or perhaps a way in which to create her tonic with fewer resources.

Though Aiko was collecting a few ingredients of her own, she had been paying subtle attention to Satia. It was clear that the young woman was no stranger to establishments like these. She was wondering why Satia had decided to go for those ingredients but before Aiko could ask the question, Satia already stated that she believed that her picked ingredients would be enough to create the tonic against back and shoulder pain. A glint appeared in the jounin's eyes even though the friendly tone nor expression of the woman shifted. "Ah," Aiko said as she inspected the ingredients. Even while the jounin had a different tonic in mind, she couldn't argue that Satia's pick was a worse alternative.

"Different from what I would pick. But I doubt that my acquaintance will notice anything different. Perhaps you can take him as a sort of patron. He might be old as cranky, he certainly can be a boon to a genin who's interested in herbalism and botany." Aiko told Satia. Paying for the ingredients, the jounin gestured Satia to follow suit. Once more heading outside to brave the cold and bustling street, Aiko spoke up again. "I did want to head out and perform a small ride to the nearby woods. It should allow us later some time to attend to what you want to show me. First, how about a good cup of tea with something savoury?"

While their items were being paid for and bagged up Satia also noticed Aiko's choices and wondered about her methods and how she intended to achieve the same results. It was all so interesting to her to the point where she would have to be sure to make some notes later on when they returned to the Inn, but for now, they still had business to attend to and the first of that business appeared to be getting tea, something Satia enjoyed a fair bit. "That sounds like a great idea to me" she replied with a smile before allowing Aiko to lead her on through the crowds of the market. The Genin got a sense that Aiko had been here before given that she knew the place well enough to navigate it without much issue, though she couldn't say she was too surprised considered who Aiko was and likely how far she'd travelled as a result of her status. As they walked Satia held the ingredient bag to her side, letting her eyes wonder before coming upon a question. "If I may be so bold, how is it you came to know this acquaintance of yours?" she asked curiously.

The question provoked a short outburst of laughter from Aiko. Managing to subdue the laughter, snickering for a second, Aiko shot an amused look at Satia. "I came to know him from my visit as interaction with the House of Magnhild. He is somewhat of an old, grumpy as a foul-mouthed man. But quite a softie once you get to know him. Kenta Hon is his name. He is the lawspeaker of this region. To keep it short, I met and know him because of my marriage and standing." Was Aiko's answer to Satia's question. "He is growing old and as you might suspect, that brings some troubles. Though you would do wise to never mention fragile or old age in his presence. Unless you desire to hear an old man spit out more foul words than an angry drunk."

Continue leading Satia, Aiko was looking for pointers. The place she wanted to go shouldn't be too far. It was one of the reasons why she had picked the Thirsty Boar as the inn for her team to stay. "You might gain the 'honour' of meeting him in person." The clear emphasis on the word 'honour' marked the amusement off Aiko about the prospect. "After all, it won't be the first Hon of high social standing you have exchanged words with. If you can talk with the Empress for long, you can handle Kenta. No doubt about it."

Satia made sure to keep mental notes on what not to say around the man they'd be visiting, although he did sound like an interesting man, to say the least. What was more was that Aiko appeared to hold this individual in high regard just based on the way she spoke of him, which made the young Genin ever more curious. "I'll be sure to be on my best behaviour" she responded with amusement as they walked. She inhaled some of the crisp cold air and was about to ask about the place they would be enjoying tea when Aiko made a comment that made the young Cho look to her with surprise, feeling a slow embarrassment build inside her chest before she coughed to clear her throat and looked ahead of them again. "I... wasn't aware you knew about that" she replied, though remembered Kiyomi explaining partially about her relationship with Aiko, then wondering what she might have discussed about their conversation. Then again, Aiko from what she could tell was so adept at blending in that she could well have been listening in the entire time, a thought which also made her heart sink deeper when she recalled the compliments spoken about Aiko and her comrades. Her cheeks flushed, though fortunately, it might not be so easy to tell in the cold weather.

"Will be perhaps one of the only times that I think you shouldn't be at your best. He is a tad," Aiko thought of what was a fitting word. Odd? Not entirely right. But neither wrong. Before Aiko could finish her sentence, the reaction of Satia on the previous comment made Aiko flash a polite smile.
"Don't worry. I have yet to speak to Kiyomi but she isn't one to tarry long with those that don't interest her. Which is actually an interesting thing, you know." Aiko gestured to a teahouse, which they were heading towards. The establishment was perhaps a tad out of place in a city like Magnhild, but it seemed to be a popular spot. Managing to arrange a spot for two at a window, Aiko would pull out her coat before taking a seat.

Once seated, she would continue. "Her Majesty and Kenta are actually known to each other as well. In a less fortunate way than me. After all, if you do believe the story then we are in the same establishment that her Majesty used to seek shelter from a bombardment during the siege of Shoji troops. Way before she was an Empress. Or before she was a jounin." Spotting a card, Aiko continued in a most casual fashion. "So, what would you like? They got a wide variation here. I think I will go with some lemon tea as some warm bread. Perhaps with some jam. Nothing too heavy. What about you?"

The younger Cho visibly exhaled when she discovered that Aiko hadn't been a fly on the wall during her interaction with the Empress, although hearing that Kiyomi didn't entertain those who didn't interest her filled the Genin with renewed confidence. Hearing a short anecdote about the history of the building was interesting to Satia and she would be sure to ask more questions about it once there was an opportunity to change the subject. "I think I will order Matcha green tea, and pair it likewise with warm bread and jam" Satia replied, letting slip some of her Taika background where Matcha was traditionally enjoyed during tea ceremonies and paired with something sweet to take the bitter edge from the tea. Together it made for an interesting taste and having grown with such traditions she was inclined towards them. "Her Majesty mentioned you in our conversation, from what I can tell she holds you in high regard and rather fondly," Satia said with a smile.

Waiting for the waiter to walk away with their orders, Aiko would intertwine her own fingers as she placed her hands on the table. Upon hearing that Kiyomi had mentioned her in the conversation with Satia, Aiko slightly frowned and shot an amused look at the younger Cho. "She did? I am happy. Not often that royalty decides to spin good words about me." Aiko half-joked as she answered in return. Becoming silent for a second, Aiko shook her head lightly. "What is your impression of the young monarch?" Aiko decided to ask, curious about the possible answer.

Satia smiled at Aiko joke and nodded her thanks as the waiter took their orders before walking away. She took a brief moment to look around at the interior of the establishment, making subtle notes about the decal and various tapestries hung on the walls. It was an interesting place to be sure, then again anything with a modicum of history was something that interested the young Cho. Her attention was pulled back to the Jounin when she asked a question about her thoughts of Kiyomi, smiling as she recounted her conversation with the Empress. "She is good company, that much is for certain. Wise and level headed, interested in knowledge much like myself which made a good foundation of our conversation. She was interested in my work and research and asked if I would deliver my findings in person, to which I agreed of course. I like her, I dare say that had our positions been different I would seek a friend in Kiyomi" she said with a nod.

The answer of Satia made Aiko smile. It seemed that Kiyomi hadn't changed a bit when it came down to interacting with other people. Something that Aiko had expected with the teen moving into her new position. For a second, Aiko felt tempted to tell Satia how the Empress had been when she had been a mere genin. How much of a troublemaker the young monarch had been. But instead, Aiko decided to shift the topic. "Perhaps you should at a later date. Kiyomi is a good person. Anyways," Aiko began, "About your work. I do intend to bring the team to what is close to a library. I am working on getting the permissions to enter this respective establishment but once I get it, you should be able to get and copy some notes. On herbs, plants and medicines that are being used in this region."

The waiter came back with their order, placing the plate on the table. Making a short bow towards the two women, the waiter took his leave. Picking up a cup, Aiko would place it in front of Satia. Following it with picking up one of the two small boilers, Aiko continued as she poured some tea for Satia. "That is if you're interested. I do imagine that it can be either tiresome or not that thrilling to enter a large complex filled to the brim with books, scrolls and notes."

The Genin raised her eyebrows at that prospect, having expected that such a friendship wasn't possible given status and other circumstances. She shrugged the thought aside, given a single meeting and conversation was hardly basis enough for such a relationship in the first place, albeit the Empress had imparted her with subjects to think about which was something she couldn't appreciate enough. The favor she'd ask had been far more valuable to her than a rank or a weapon, perhaps more so than most could see. Satia smiled and listened as Aiko mentioned the library while pouring her tea, something she appreciated more so given her cultural background. "On the contrary, the pursuit of knowledge is something I find a lot of value in. If there are texts that can offer me insight onto my subjects or perhaps inflate my understanding then I would very much so take the opportunity" she said enthusiastically. "The life of a Shinobi is more than fighting wouldn't you agree, I would even go as far to say that knowledge is integral to the success and survival of someone in our respective fields".

"Good," Aiko replied as she placed the small boiler down. Placing a cup in front of herself, the woman started to pour some warm water into her own cup - using the second small boiler which held her tea. "I agree, yes. Ironically, fighting is a small part of it. It is a vital part but I have, for example, spent way more time training and studying than actual fighting. Which I do think is better. Else I might not have been here right now."

A soft sigh escaped Aiko's lips as she did honestly enjoy the certain tranquillity that existed in the establishment. There was no politics or anything else that pressured her to do something. Deciding to let the tea cool a bit down, she would pick up a slice of warm bread. Two knives with a bowl of jam were present, for them to put it on the bread. "I did wish sometimes that the life of a shinobi was a bit more luxurious. I can't stress how much I have missed to sit down like this and just take it easy."

Satia took up her own knife after Aiko, listening as she explained her thoughts to her previous comment. She fell silent for a moment, applying some of the jam to her own bread while letting the tea cool a little. She gave a small grin before coming to realize something in the moment she applied the jam to her bread, "Actually, I think we're rather fortunate" she replied without looking to Aiko as she took time in spreading the preserve equally across the wheat based food. "If you consider that we live a rather difficult life, confronted with many obstacles and hardships. It's those very experiences that allow us to enjoy these moments more, in fact... it prevents us from becoming complacent and negates us from over indulging in the sweets of what make life enjoyable" she finished before taking a bite from her bread slice, savoring the flavor and the experience before swallowing. "I have to agree though, these moments are what I look forward to at times when we're walking through rain and sleeping on hard floors".

Aiko's features shifted by a bit as a frown appeared on the woman's face. "I can't say that I disagree. Far from it," the jounin started to gesture with the bread as if that would make her next comment all the clearer. "But once you have been serving in the military as long as me, believe me, you will cherish these moments so much. No need to watch your back. No pressure of needing to accomplish an objective. That and indulging in sweets, I guess I can't argue against that. If anything, I can't remember when I wasn't cautious over my food because I was watching my weight as well how good it would be for my stamina. My health.

Taking a bite of her own bread, Aiko realised that she had vented more of her frustration than actual reacting proper back to her student. "Besides, the most that I actually dislike is the aftermath of our work. Sure, we get to protect and help people. But the number of people that actually were grateful? There have only been a very few who actually thanked me without trying to spit and curse my occupation after I turned my back on them."

The younger Cho found some sympathy for her teacher as she gave her frustration about the not so glamorous side of their work, though she would never allow herself to show it out of respect for the Jounin. Instead, Satia offered a small smile and a nod in understanding as she listened. "I think perhaps sometimes we must look at ourselves and what we do objectively" she began, placing her bread down before raising the cup of tea and taking a small sparing sip to taste it's flavor and ward against the heat. She set it down before continuing, "True though it may be that most would rather see the back of us than part kindness, instead of focusing attention to the reward of our efforts in the aftermath, consider instead that what we do prevents the needless loss of life, for example" Satia sat up in her seat as she readied her response.

"Our last mission, how many young woman would have been objectified or forced to endure his... tastes, had we not put a stop to him. How many servants punished, beaten, flogged or treated poorly... I know my own talent for perception but I can not have been the only one who noticed the signs" she paused again and took a bite from her slice. "His other dealings aside, our reward is the knowledge that he will never be able to impose his will on the lives of others ever again" she hoped the words would elevate her teachers mood on the subject, though true she hadn't nearly the same experience.

The reply of the genin did surprise Aiko somewhat. "Oh, most certainly. Looking at our achievements, occupation and all in an objective manner is the way how it is done. It used to be to the point way back that you would have been drilled with that the mission and its objectives were far more important than anything else. Even the lives of your team members were just means of gain to accomplish the objectives. Which is of course rubbish. In most cases, at least." The jounin added the last with a softer tone and volume.

Taking another bite of her bread, she would chew on the bite and swallow it before speaking up again. "True. We have taken down a threat to the security of the Rain province, thus extended to the Empire. And we have saved those women. The question remains, however, for how long? I am not disagreeing, my dear Satia. Certainly not. Wretched men like those should be put down. But one will always follow another. Though," Aiko paused for a moment. "There is nothing gained by cracking down our achievement. Talking about that mission. I do hope that you won't resent me for having made use of you. Putting you in a most dangerous position compared to the others."
[/spoili]
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Back To Base, Purple, solid"]

Claire Rose,
Genin of Team 11,

Kirigakure, east of the city heading back.
It seemed all had went well in the end. The trio would escort the bandits back to Kirigakure. Claire was a bit nervous to take the front but understood it kept her safer from ambush from behind. After the skirmish she was sure they would be more wary of her and her positioning to ensure she did well. Which was a bit nice but she also wanted to prove herself and that she wouldn't be a thorn in the side or useless. As she went to take up her position the atmospheric pressure changed. Heavy and tense as Nishi spoke.

Looking over she wasn't sure how to react. It was intense but full of idle threats. A tactic to make people shut up and obey. To scare them into a place the superior wanted. Of course by rank Nishi was higher and was their squad leader but was that necessary? A simple talk about what went wrong would seem more logical and what exactly were her standards? She wanted to speak but Claire held her tongue. To get things off on a bad foot wouldn't benefit her in the long run even if she didn't agree. And hopefully no choices came in the future that made her choose her morals over obeying Nishi's orders. It was bound to happen but later would be preferred.

Once everything calmed down and they began their journey back to the city she led the way. Although she was with bandits the Genin seemed to walk relaxed. Cautious sure but her hands were behind her head and she hummed softly. A lullaby their mother sang to them. It was her sister's favorite and it always seemed to calm her to this day. Even if it held sadness to some extent. Even though her hands were through her hair Claire could easily get to her weapon and tools, a kunai was also in one of her hands. Hidden by golden locks, a safety measure she thought could work with her body positioning.

It was silent and the silence felt deadly than the men. It cute deep and made her slightly uncomfortable. The last spoke words were threats and nothing else had been brought up. "So Yukimi.. I know you're from a high established family. It must be cool to be basically royalty, yeah?" She giggled and looked over her shoulder. "I am actually a bit envious. No one knows my name or that I exist. And you have amazing abilities from your family. Or so I hear. I just have the basics. It would be cool to know some intense jutsus. Maybe when we get back you can show me some and I can show you what I know."

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="The Shinobi Way Begins, green, solid"]

Aito Aijin
Third Genin of Team Mika, Team 14
Kirigakure, capital of the Republic - Training Field 8

Today was the day. The day he would begin his path as a Shinobi. And Aito was more than happy to finally be a part of a team. It had taken no time to place him in one right after his graduation from the academy. A loud knock came from his door and he groaned as he rolled over. A second knock came before the door was opened. "Aito you're going to be late! I thought you'd be more disciplined now that you're a Shinobi!" His grandfather spoke which made him sit up rubbing his eyes. "Huh? What time is it?" The teen asked as he looked over. "8:15..." Stumbling out of bed he scrambled to get dressed. "Oh no.. oh no.. I'm late!"

And that's how his first day started. He was late and his team would already be at the training grounds. Aito got dressed and decided to skip breakfast as he dashed out of his home. The town was busy as many walked about doing their daily tasks. No the streets would be too slow! Hopping up onto the rooftops he began to dash over them from building to building. His eyes set straight for the training grounds. "I'm going to be skinned alive aren't I?" He sighed. It took nearly ten minutes to get there from his house and it was now 8:28. Stumbling to the field he heaved over catching his breath.

"Sorry I'm... Late.." He wiped his forehead and looked up. His eyes glancing at their leader. He hadn't had time to learn who was who on his team but he did know that something had happened. It was kept under detail but he was told to act carefully and not end up like the last. The last what? It was off putting to know something caused turmoil for his team and he was unaware of it all. A warning and that was that. Taking a deep breathe Aito smiled as he rubbed the back of his head. Laughing softly at himself for being late.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Girl Power!, pink, solid"]

Kitana Riojin
Chuunin of Team 22

The next to arrive would be Rini which prompted Kitana to look at the young one with a blank expression which turned into a smile as she waved at the young one. "Hello Rini, looking more like a badass if I do say so myself." Kitana said giving her a thumbs up, which was followed by an apologetic smile. Wanting to apologize to her for letting her down during that zealot attack. However she wouldn't be able to get any sorry out as Etsu would gather their attention to introduce the newest member, who so happened to be right there with them.

Kitana would look at the girl and give a smile and wave to her as well. She heard some things about her but couldn't truly form an opinion on her just yet. Which might happen as Etsu mentioned having arranged a tile in a training room which should be ready by now. Kitana laughed a littler nervously as she looked at Rini, knowing she knew as well what kind of person their sensei was. All she could do was follow behind Etsu and hope it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be.[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Over it, orchid, solid"]

Aya Oda
Genin of Team 14

With another failed trek into her abandoned clan's compound, ending in another failure and the death of another teammate. She was starting to grow tired and sick of it. Tired of always losing, tired of going through one teammate after the next. Yet she was sick of always coming up short, like nothing she has done mattered. She was supposed to be stronger, no had to be. How else would she one day start regaining the glory the Oda once had, all the hope that her father and adoptive father had for her. All this ran through her mind as she was the first to have arrived and had time to think. She of course said her greetings to her sensei, yet for the most part contemplated in silence.

Which was when a new guy strolled in, apologizing for being late, which brought Aya's attention to him. He seemed so carefree and innocent. It reminded her of when she was new to all this, although it also made her slightly worry for whatever their sensei had planned for them. Looking back at him she would wave at him as she still sat down cross legged, she debated introducing herself but suspected Mika would make them one way or another.[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Third Time's the Charm?, #3366ff, dashed, 10, Tahoma"]
Taishiro Kanai | Team 14 Genin | Kirigakure

Shit I'm going to be late! Was the only thought racing through Taishiro's mind as he quickly finished getting ready for the day. Having been up late since his father had an especially bad night, the boy had wound up sleeping in a bit past when he had intended. "Oh sensei is going to kill me..." He muttered to himself as he quickly checked the mirror to make sure he didn't have any glaring issues with his appearance. Rushing quickly out the door, he decided to skip breakfast for the sake of making it to the meeting. The boy then stuck almost entirely to the rooftops, opting to avoid busy city streets so as to get to the meeting faster.

As he dashed towards the meeting, Taishiro wondered if the plans for today would go a bit better than they had been lately. First they got a new team member, one which the boy hadn't been overly fond of, but that didn't last long. As their second attempt at the Oda Compound had failed as well, with that very teammate losing his life in the battle. It had been... eye opening to the boy. Showing him the real danger that went with his chosen profession. If he planned on surviving, he simply had to get stronger and be smarter. Provide more to the team, or else he was only holding them back. Shit. Hopefully he could start turning things around today.

Not long did these thoughts occupy his mind before Taishiro noticed the team meeting place up ahead. He saw sensei, Aya, and some other boy he didn't recognize there. Another teammate? He certainly hoped this one would stay around longer than the last. The boy darted up to the group, managing to stop himself gracefully enough to not trip. Giving a deep, apologetic bow towards his sensei the boy spoke up. "Apologies for being late today, Sensei." He said quickly before straightening himself back up. The boy tried to force himself to keep a calm expression, but a slight look of embarassment was rather clear on his face about the whole situation. Not too good an impression on everybody else, huh?

Looks like the day is already off to an interesting start. [/hr][/fieldbox]

Last edited by a moderator: