NaNoWriMo 2013

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Grumpy, Oct 15, 2013.

1. OI. YOU.

YES YOU.

HAVE YOU EVER WANTED TO FINALLY WRITE THAT NOVEL YOU RECKON YOU'VE GOT STORED UP IN THAT BRAIN OF YOURS, BUT HAVE NEVER FOUND THE DRIVE, TIME AND/OR MOTIVATION TO GET IT DONE?

WELL FEAR NOT. THE NATIONAL NOVEL WRITING MONTH HAS GOT YOU COVERED.

The NaNoWriMo is a rather awesome annual event in which people the world over attempt to complete a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. Yes, you read that correctly. 50,000 words. In a month.

TOO MUCH, YOU SAY? NONSENSE, THAT'S ONLY AROUND 1666 WORDS A DAY. NOW STOP BEING A PUSSY AND GET INVOLVED.

Have we any Iwakuans who plan on taking the challenge this year? What are you gonna be writing about?

2. I'm going to take part this year :) A friend of mine always does NaNoWriMo and have been nagging on me to do it too, so this year I shall try to actually do it xD

I don't know exactly what will happen in the story, I kind of only have the main character completely figured out.

It's about a young boy whom can see spirits, or at least that is what he calls them. They are more memories and recordings of the past which he can't interact with. He can also see the future, though the future is very changeable and the further away it is from the present the less likely it is for it to come true. The most common things he sees are death, so he tries to prevents them from happening. Especially if it's accidents. But if people are trying to commit suicide then he never really tries to stop them. He goes to the place where they will die and he tries to speak to them. If they still wants to die after he has spoken to them and tried to make them change their mind, then he will let them die.

And that's about what I have. xD I know some things that will happen, and some friends that he has, I know that he has to face his really sad and horrible past as the story progresses, and I know that someone will die by the end. And I have fifteenhundred quadrillion plot twist written down that I can throw in when needed. xD

I don't think I will be able to write 1666 words per day on the same story, especially since I so easily get writers block. I know a lot of the guys past which I can throw in here and there, but it would be awkward with a flashback every ten sentence just because I don't know what to write. I'll see how long I will be able to keep it up. But it's just my first year so I have told everyone to not have too high expectations xD I even told my friend that it will probably take me 15 days or so and then I will run dry on ideas hahha.

3. I'm not doing it, but a couple notes for those who are;

Have the entire story, beginning to end, figured out BEFORE you write chapters

Get an editor who isn't a friend or someone who will feel like they need to tell you it's good even if it isn't.

Murder your darlings; to make a story work, you pretty much always have to alter or delete parts you love.

Don't brag to people you're writing a novel; everyone and their dog is writing a novel. Tell people when you've been published/sold, or if you completed NaNoWriMo. Otherwise you run a very high risk of coming off as a pompous, pseudo-intellectual douche.

Good luck everyone!

4. I'm gonna write out this shadowrun concept I have in my noggin in longhand format, then I'm going to transfer it over to be used as content in the SHadowrun Returns Campaign editor.

Speaking of which, I sent you that outline for cretiquing if I recall... AND YOU NEVER RESPONDED! :O

I see how it is grumps. I see how it is...

5. I will also be taking part in NaNoWriMo, and this time, I will go with something that I may or may not finish. Essentially, it is a single story told in four styles and from four points in time which will eventually converge to make a whole. The hardest part will definitely be making the character who connects everything recognisable in all narratives, as well as padding /adding to one part of the story so that it will take up roughly as much place as the others. Switching styles constantly will also be a challenge, as I plan to write every chapter differently.

If all else fails, I can just say "Well, I tried" and write the other plot I have in mind. But I will be attempting to write this.

6. I WANT to do NaNo so bad. SO BAD. I have tried it several times in the past. But November is one of the busiest months of the year for me. ;_; One year I even tried just adding up all my roleplay posts from the month to see if they equaled a full novella, and that ended up being a month I didn't roleplay at all. >:[

LOVE being subscribed to the NaNo emails though. O__O They have so many great tips for writing and helping to construct and organize your ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm doing NaNo this year, but a friend and I are hopefully moving in together soon and November tends to be an insanely busy month for me in general, so we'll see how much I can actually get done.

8. I did this one year.. still have the rough draft sitting on a table, completely printed. It just needs me to go back and edit it.. I want to do it again, but dang it takes so much time and commitment.

9. Holly crap I entered o.o

10. I was going to try writing completing a NaNo this year, especially after I started late this one year, but November is actually when all of my midterms and papers are due! I really wanted to try this year, but I just don't think I'll have time to work on it at all.

11. Nope. Nope. Nope. Not this year.

Unless writing my thesis counts as a novel? >_>

12. Finally after wishing for years that I did not have mountains of November homework and did have local friends for writeins and support it has all come together! I'll let them think THEY talked me into it