Mythical Creatures in the City

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray

Original poster
I've only just thought of this idea, but who likes the idea of an urban fantasy complete with just about any mythical creature? Do you guys think it might be a bit too complicated to deal with many species or do you think it'd be the complete opposite? Moving further onto this idea, I wanted to use the superpower wiki exclusively for the characters who would not be human. A cool idea that I had in mind, but thought it might be a bit cliche, was that the human species could be near-extinct or simply endangered for the fact and idea that so many mythical creatures began to dominate over the past fifty years or so.

I'd appreciate any socially positive people to offer me their intellect on this really vague idea, but please understand that once this roleplay starts, I will be looking for adept players at the minimum posting expectation and writing level. I understand that is insignificant to this discussion, but I don't want people to feel bad after they've contributed ideas to a roleplay they know they can't meet the posting expectations and writing levels of- especially since I'll be requiring a writing sample as well.

Anyways, moving on. Since this is urban fantasy, I also plan to use those awesome urban fantasy tropes! The main story elements will be action and suspense. I'm also hoping to have some fantasy and science fiction elements added in as well, so if there's any suggestion for those, please do lend me an ear. I plan for the setting to be primarily in a huge well-known city somewhere outside of America. I feel that America's big city names are overused, but that's just me. I'd like to try something different, but I don't wish for the city to be Tokyo, London, or Seoul either. Somewhere in Europe would be awesome in my opinion.

So, start discussing?

I personally love it when there is a lot of variety with characters especially if I'm able to do just about whatever in regards to my characters (considering my roster includes a snail schoolgirl alien who can and will eat literally anything, a 10ft long snake monsterboy who has 5 horns and 4 eyes, a glitched videogame debug character given life, and too many dragons if that was ever possible). But, I'd have to know more about the story to properly say I'm in or not. In any case I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Asides from the cyberpunk, Shadowrun is a good example of an Urban Fantasy setting. I believe The Percy Jackson series also have an Urban Fantasy theme.

You could make a list of all the mythical creatures/races you can think off, then start crossing off the ones you think won't fit into the world you are attempting to create. You could make up your own creatures and races too.

What's most important, regardless of how many races you have, is the conflict. What is the conflict in the world you're creating? A common theme is "US versus THEM". Racial inequality could be prevalent. Cities, maybe even countries, could be segregated by race.

And if human's are no longer the dominant species on the earth, who or what is the new dominant species or the Alpha race? It could be a council of the most common powerful mythical creatures -one from each continent. It's possible that this council rules from the shadows.

What you could also do is have certain mythical creatures live predominantly in the countries that their particular myths are associated with.
  • Centaurs, Mermaids, Medusa, Lamia, Harpies, Sirens, Nymphs, Satyrs, etc would live in Greece or Italy.
  • Vampires live in Romania.
  • Sphinxes from Egypt.
  • Dragons spread out through Europe and Asia.
  • The natives of North America and Africa could be animal shape-shifters or lycanthropes.
  • The Jotun (Norse Giants) and giant wolves called Fenrir would live in Scandinavia.
  • And the list goes on...
You can have as many mythical animals as you want, but I think it might be wise to have a cut-off point for the number of pre-approved playable races in the single digits. Dragons, Medusa and Sphinxes wouldn't be common. Centaurs, Mermaids, harpies, and satyr would be common along with lycanthropes and Giants. The giants could be 1.5 times taller than the average human and naturally more muscular, so things don't get out of hand.

I hope this helps.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Yes, definitely! Thank you very much- I appreciate your in-depth contribution! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.