2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Science-Fiction, Science-Fantasy, Magical Girl, Mystery, Slice of Life,
Myths and legends could be said to be the prototypes of modern novels. They are stories in their own right, tales that were passed on for generations. Even today, some elements from the old myths remain in our stories and occasionally, they serve as inspiration.

This week’s mythical element is: The Golden Apple
golden-apple-300x286.jpg
In many mythologies and pieces of folklore, the Golden Apple is a very important element. Often representing some sort of an extraordianry value, this strange object usually jumpstarts the plot or provides motivation for the protagonist. At other times, such as in Homer's Iliad, the Golden Apple serves as a means to an end, generating friction between even the gods, and ultimately ending up with the destruction of Troy. In other circles, these mystical objects may even have magical properties, but one thing is for sure: They are always precious and are an important element in the story.​

Your challenge is to write a story that incorporates your own take on this mythical element. The genre and setting of the story does not matter as long as the element remains recognisable.

They said it was never meant to be unearthed. It's been only a day since the military shut down all telecommunication networks across the country. Something about a memetic weapon found in Greece.

Doctor Larson said that what was happening should not be possible. Brain scans showed intense levels of dopamine flooding the pleasure centers whenever the image was viewed, but tolerance building at an amazing rate unless the person seeks out the real thing.

We burned all the images and book references we could find. Or rather, the robots burned them. Useful, the new AI systems. Until they also go haywire. It spreads. It's not only humans that get affected. Anything that has an input and an output that comes into contact with memetic material becomes infected now.

The survivalists and the conspiracy theorists got nothing on this. This is the real deal, not some fairy-tale. It's...

It's...

An apple of discord. Of course. Why... why didn't I think of it before? It's beautiful... golden... sweet and soft and round and shining and I need it I NEED IT I NEED IT I NEED IT NEED IT NEED NEED NEED NEED

Subject was silenced and interred as per Executive Order 99214. All mentions of myth, legend, religion, Europe, the Classical Era and agriculture have been purged from surroundings. Class Omega amnesiac administered to any civilians who knew subject. All belongings confiscated, all personnel who received memetic disorder terminated with extreme prejudice.

End log.

Reactions: Villamvihar