1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
-Fantasy with means of magic and sword based feelings, i do prefer a bit of romance in stories
-Modern with again a fantasy feel
-Cut in anything with a bit of Romance and I can give it a try.
@Lyrikai and @Fluffy
Genre: Fantasy
Gender Preference: MxM
Post Length: 2-3 paragraphs

Prompt: A man, (Character A, Fluffy) reads a novel, soon realizing that the story is his very own — and according to the book, a killer is looming. In this case, the novelist hasn't identified the killer in their book and has no idea who it is! Reaching out to a known detective and friend (Character B, Lyrikai), it is up to you both to find out who killer is!

Time Limit: 10 posts each (20 in total) or June 9th (two weeks)

Last edited:
  • OMG
Reactions: Fluffy and Lyrikai
percy_small-jpg.230276
To be perfectly honest, he was used to strange and unusual things happening to him. This, though? This was a whole new type of strange and unusual.
Life already wasn't 'normal' because he was the heir to his family's crime organization. Percival refused the responsibility and actively defied his father, but that didn't mean he was safe from the family's enemies. He also had to look out for anyone...otherworldly...who might want him dead. A while back, he summoned a powerful demon who now serves as his genie in a platonic partnership. She protects him, but also they are vigilantes against nonhuman threats. Actions like those tend to get you noticed by a lot of interesting types, to say the least.

Which led him to wonder who got to him this time. The answer to that would have to come later, though. That is if he survives that long. Death was only several chapters away. Percival didn't know how that'd translate into 'minutes,' but again, there wasn't time to consider much. By the time he got halfway through the book, he realized it had been cursed in some way. Not just any book, either. HIS book. Recently, he'd gotten the first book of a new series published. It was a mystery thriller series and he received his pre-ordered copies in the mail today. Oh, how the symbolism dramatically changed there. The delivery went from being a bright new beginning to being a dark tragic ending.

Percy, of course, wouldn't give up easily. Being the author of this book gave him the advantage of knowing what'd come next. The downside is that...in the book itself, the killer remains unidentified. That was going to happen in book number two!
Clutching the book against him with one hand, the other tightly held onto his cellphone. He was already on his way to see a friend who could hopefully help him. A detective friend who he could trust in (and who may or may not have inspired a character in his book that was trying to kill him). It was good to hear his voice. Percy's PTSD brain didn't handle stress very well, but he was calming down enough to avoid a serious panic attack.

"I'm at your door, I'm at your door now, I'm knocking at your door, we gotta hurry we gotta go, pleaseplease hurry I'm begging you--" Percy's baritone voice was low in volume and quite shaken. The hand that held the novel lightly knocked at the door. This mystery needed to get solved as soon as possible. For the first time in years, he could say he was genuinely afraid for his life. It was very uncommon to see Percival Nadir in such a state.

[[ @Lyrikai <3 Don't hesitate to PM or Discord message me if you want to talk story at all. ^^]]

Last edited:
A pen idly swirled on the desk, tapping and turning in random motions like the thoughts that scrolled through Sorin's head. He hardly had a bite all day either in real food or legitimate work. Tap tap tapping away, he leaned back in his chair, hearing the low squeak of complaint from the support springs. Sometimes he hated this part of his job. The thrill of hunting down and solving a mystery sure had some excitement to it, but the lazing out in his office waiting for the next puzzle to fall into his lap... Well that... that he could do without.

He took a hard swallow from a glass on his desk, filled halfway with an amber colored liquid. Feet were propped up on the desk and he was about ready to doze off and take a nap to pass some time away. Then there was a knocking at his door. Much as he was bored, he frowned at the intrusion anyway as though he just really couldn't quite decide what he did want after all.

If that was his idiot partner Cyrus, he was going to lose his absolute mind here.

The feet came off the desk just as fast and he approached the front door, pulling it open. "Cyrus, if you forgot you-Oh-" He let the rest of that sentence die in his throat, looking up and down instead at a rather disheveled looking personal friend. "Percival? What brings you here at such an hour?" There was only a minor pause before he added, "You look like hell. Did something happen?" Stepping aside, he waved a hand into the office, "Please. Come in. Tell me what's troubling you."

(Thanks! Definitely open to chatting some story!)

• Love
Reactions: Fluffy
The moment that door opened, Percy felt significantly safer. He was met with a familiar person with a familiar voice. That did wonders to soothe his stress, although he did have a brand new stressor coming up... What if he endangers his friend? Oh gods no!
And then that friend told him he 'looked like hell,' which effectively interrupted his anxious string of thoughts. "Yeah," he sighed in distress, putting a hand into his hair so he could attempt to fix it some. Now he felt embarrassed about his appearance. On a regular day, he was consistently so perfectly put together. His hair was always flawless and his business casual clothes were always in top shape. "Yeah," he repeated, nodding politely to the detective before stepping past him.

"I'm sorry to bother you like this," Percy started, but the words were very faint. Taking in a deep breath, he slowly let it out through his mouth and then cleared his throat. That helped him reclaim some of his poise and power, especially now that he was in a safe place. For how long though, he did not know, so he got right into the main point of the issue: "I'm in a great deal of danger. In fact, I suspect I might even die today." The neutral shape of his lips turned into a frown while he straightened his back and adjusted his glasses.

"A killer is after me," the artist continued, hesitantly opening up the novel in his hands. "I don't know who they are, but they will surely find me before I find them. I don't know how or why this is happening to me, but I've become one of the main characters in the book I recently published. And, unfortunately, this specific character is fated to die. I can feel it deep in my bones, my friend... I'm going to end the same way Casey Peterson did in my book..." Looking up from the pages, his dark brown eyes traveled over to his friend. "Unless...you help me," Percy quietly but confidently suggested. Just a smidge of pleading could be detected in his voice and his gaze. "The identity of the killer is completely a mystery because I haven't written that part yet. So, I... I don't even know where to begin. And I'm running on very limited time.
You're the best detective in the city. If anyone can help me uncover this killer's identity, it's you. And if I make it out of this, I promise this will be worth your while. You name the price and you can consider it done." Percy punctuated his last sentence with a serious nod. He hoped, so dearly, that his situation wouldn't be taken as a joke. He realized how goddamn crazy he just sounded...

Stepping back across his office, Sorin took a seat at his desk. With a light hand wave, he said, "Think nothing of it. You're never a bother. You can visit me any time day or night." Did that sound too desperate? Did it give away how ungodly bored he was? Maybe he was trying a little bit too hard. He would almost consider complaining about it or perhaps offering to buy his friend dinner if there wasn't this precedent that something was wrong enough that Percival had come here, come to him, looking frazzled and terrified.

Listening to the tale, it sounded more wild by the second. From the moment he said he was in danger, that he might even die today, Sorin's interest was piqued, eyes widening, leaning forward in his chair, and listening very carefully. Elbows propped on the desk, fingers tented, he pondered a moment before asking, "Alright, so let me go over this piece by piece. You've fallen into the place of a character in your novel. Have events been happening here in reality that have occurred in your book? I'm not trying to discount you, just making sure I'm understanding this right. How are you sure you're going to die?"

After a second, he retracted and asked instead, giving a light hand wave of the previous question, "Do you have any enemies? Anyone you can think of that might wish you harm? Or perhaps a fanatic of your works that might be a little too obsessive?" His chair creaked under his weight as he shifted, finding a more comfortable position. "That's usually the first sorts to look for. Cases like this are very rarely random attacks. Though, ah... I grant you this one's one of the most peculiar I've ever heard. Certainly up there."

• This Gives Me Plot Bunnies
Glancing at the open novel, he gave careful consideration to the questions his detective friend offered. The focus didn't stay on the possibility of Percival dying, thankfully. That said, he didn't like the other questions that much better. In terms of 'enemies,' the possibilities could really go on and on there... But maybe it could be narrowed down based on what limited evidence they had.
Worried that perhaps his figure could be recognized through the curtains, he chose to stand against a wall. Putting his back on it helped him keep his good posture, something he did struggle with due to the injuries he carried throughout his life. A corner of his mouth twitched at the comment Sorin made. A stranger wouldn't call that anything, but a friend would recognize it as the beginning of a smile. Smiling was still in practice. "Yes, it is a peculiar case, I know," he agreed, allowing a note of dark humor to soften his regularly chilling and authoritative tone. Percy was a soft boy raised to be a hard and fierce man. It was difficult to show his true self past the cold exterior. "I'm afraid it might not even be the last peculiarity you ever hear of or face... I'm a magnet for rather strange occurrences. Anyone who becomes friends with me tends to get tangled in those from time to time..."

Almost did Percy apologize, but he could already hear Sorin's voice telling him it wasn't necessary to say 'sorry.' Friends helped friends, he learned. He would offer the same support to his own friend in need, after all.

Nodding solemnly at the other man, he stated, "I can say with certainty that my life and the book are somehow tied together. Even this moment right here, right now, is just like the book. We're at the part of the story where my character runs to a detective for protection. The detective is the golden-hearted hero in my story." That's when he let his gaze drop back onto the book. A blessedly convenient excuse to avoid any chance he might act like a kittenish idiot. Not only that, but he didn't want to get into the gloomy, dark cliffhanger of an ending the book had. That was not the ending he wanted for himself or Sorin. They would write a different outcome today if possible. Hopefully.

"I do have enemies who wish me harm. And it's exactly their style to send a specialized killer or assassin after me. I'd explain more, but I have only so much time," Percy continued. "I ask, as your friend, to please look and listen with an open mind. This book of mine has been cursed in some way. There are dark forces at work here that go beyond regular humanness. And of all pages, the cursed, dark purple-colored mark has been placed on Chapter 13. Which would lead me to suspect a local witch coven called The Black Moon Coven or a cult that worships someone called The Blood Queen. Both of them are organizations who despise me for their own reasons." Opening the book to chapter 13, he turned it around to show a cursed symbol that faintly glowed on the page. However, the detective wasn't going to be able to see it unless he was willing to believe in the existence of magic and otherworldliness. To nonbelievers, it was just a regular book page.

• Wicked
Reactions: Lyrikai
Sorin gave a short snort in response, hearing something amusing he didn't elaborate on to rather just say, "I'm not all that average myself in that regard. I've been told that being unique makes you more interesting. At the very least, it keeps me prepared, especially when dealing with cases such as this. Very little in this world can shock or surprise me anymore." He'd seen it all, done it all. Well. Alright, sure, there were probably many many things he couldn't possibly be prepared for, and this one was... there. But he wasn't even for a second about to admit out loud his shock about this. The calmer he stayed, the easier it would be to keep his dear friend here calm.

Instead, he mulled over his thoughts again, finding the need to give a short laugh when his brain poured over the words once more and settled on something apparently amusing. "The hero. Well there might be one deviation from your story because that doesn't sound like me at all." Modesty was easy, sure, but he didn't ever want to be thought of as a hero, and he certainly wasn't golden-hearted. Offering a smile, it seemed he was trying to lighten the mood a little bit, but really probably wasn't doing a very good job.

Fingers drummed on the desk. "I'm as open as you need me to be," he promised after. Looking at the offered book, he curiously cocked his head to the side, staring at the mysterious symbol marking the page. "Is it... Is it supposed to be glowing like that?" He reached for it, wanting to touch it, yet afraid it might pull him into some secondary curse if he messed with it too much. "Is it safe to touch?" he asked after a moment just to be sure. Did magical things truly exist here in this world? He didn't want to believe it, and yet... he did. After everything he had been through, anything could be within the realm of possibility.

"Amazing..." he breathed, "I-" Catching himself, he cleared his throat, "I'm sorry. Please. Tell me more about this coven and this other cult. If they can do something like this..." Another question came to mind and he asked quickly after, "Does you know any specific details of your-of this character's death? A specific time or date or location?"

• Sweet
Truly, he did value the open-mindedness and sense of humor his friend had. Had he gone to anyone else, the situation would have turned out way different. "True. You and the story's detective are not completely the same," Percy simply agreed as Sorin laughed about the 'character deviations.' Blinking at the smile on his friend's face, he tried to not look away out of stupid shyness. He didn't know how he was meant to react. Also, privately, he took some relief from the thought that, maybe, since the characters were not the same, the developments wouldn't all be the same either.
As their conversation went on, Percy admitted he was glad he didn't look away. He was charmed by his friend's curiosity. He also found it amusing that the guy would want to touch the book. "I wish it wasn't, but yes," Percy replied about the glowing on the page. He then offered the book to his friend after a few seconds of thought. "You should be alright to look it over. I'm convinced that this cursed object is solely tied to me. Otherwise, I think I would have seen more destruction to the people and places around me." Without realizing it, he'd been effectively calmed down by his friend. He was able to think more clearly. "I'm just sorry that this is the way you're first introduced to my new book." Percy didn't know if his friend would even take an interest in the work. But it was also tradition to offer free, signed copies to his friends and family if they were interested.

Tilting his head back against the wall, he thought over what he needed to say next. He had to basically tell a part of the story in order to answer one of those important detective-like questions, "The location of Casey's death is an old abandoned warehouse where the serial killer was torturing and killing their victims in secret. The detective manages to discover this hidden location and vital clues for his case, but he doesn't show up in time to save Casey. And that's because the two of them get separated when they go to Casey's house. The killer was there waiting for them and threatens to kill everyone inside if Casey doesn't come with them. Casey ends up going with them and the detective does the whole 'I'll find you, I promise' sincerity as he watches Casey get taken away. Six hours pass before the warehouse is discovered. Time of death, I think, was declared to be 10:27 PM specifically in the book."

There was a small pause after the explanation of the possible death scene he'd suffer. Sorin needed information on the cult and the coven, too. There was so much to get into with those people, but he had to keep it brief for the sake of time. Plus, he didn't want to make this day too much weirder than it already was, if that was even possible. "The Cult of the Blood Queen is made of many dangerous individuals who vary in power and status. They idolize an imprisoned demon queen who they hope to someday bring to this realm so she can drown our world in blood and remake it how she sees fit. The main reason they and their queen hate me is that I, on my own, summoned a demon who is strong enough to fight them back. But that is a different story.

The Black Moon Coven is an old group of witches who are spiritually tied to the forests beyond our city here. Their magic and traditions are very dark, to say the least. They hold many of their meetings and practices over there and they will offer their magic services to others for a price. They're highly dangerous. Most, if not all, of the disappearances in that forest, are because of this Coven. I managed to severely anger one of the Black Moon sisters some years ago. When you anger one of them, you anger the whole lot of them."

Last edited:
  • Spicy
Taking the book with hands almost too eager to get a hold of it, Sorin slid it closer, leaned his face in closer, and examined the glowing symbol in great lengths. Practically soaking it in, trying to glean as much from it as he possibly could from just scanning it over with his eyes, running fingers across the page's surface, even pushing back a moment later to dig out a small notepad and make a very quick, rough sketch to commit it to memory for his notes for later. It wasn't his intention to seem excited or be too eager, but if they were potentially racing against the clock, he needed to get straight to work and get as may pieces gathered up as he could to be able to place them all later.

Even as he sketched away, he gave a long sigh in response. "What a tragic tale," he said glumly, "That kind of story... resonates with me a little. Were it not under such egregious circumstances, I do have to admit that it would be one hell of a story."

"If this death occurs because your character and the detective become separated under threat, one would immediately think that the best way to counter it would be to make sure you and I never become separated. That we make sure we stick together at all times and never I never let you out of my sight. Though, that would hardly work so swimmingly if we'd just get others killed by refusing to cooperate." Wouldn't that just be trading one death for another? Hardly a good plan. "Still. Having a specific time and location helps us." At least, in the event that Percival was taken, he'd now know where to look for him and how much time he had to find him.

He wasn't even going to begin to ask about this demon summoning, though it was very plain on his face that the comment had caught his interest. "There's so much more with this information to unpack, but I won't pry unless it becomes... necessary. Suffice enough to say that you've made some dangerous enemies." Offering a gentle smile laced with pity, he said, "Whatever happens, just know that I'll do everything I can to help you through this. I won't let anyone harm you. That I promise." It was dangerous making a promise he wasn't sure yet if he could keep, yet he was endeavoring to stay calm, confident, cool so neither of them panicked.

• According to Plan
Observing Sorin in his element was fascinating. There was a certain charm to him, also, that made a corner of Percy's mouth twitch in a quick smile. Dark, severe eyes watched the man with curiosity, taking notice of his quirks, body language, picture-drawing skills, and emotional aura. Percy might be easily mistaken as someone harshly judging you, but actually, he was an analytical mind with artist's eyes and resting-bitch-face. All urgencies aside, he did find himself appreciative of this moment he was living in.
Empathetically, he nodded to his friend who somberly commented on the storybook tragedy. Percy always liked to hear it when someone could connect with his art, but he hoped he didn't cause any unfond memories to come up and bite Sorin too hard. The likes of which he could painfully relate to.

Listening on, he could tell that the detective was very committed to changing the dark course this story was on. If they never separated, that did make him less vulnerable. "That makes sense," he calmly agreed. He also wondered if whoever cursed the book even took the time to read it. Maybe all they did was skim it or read spoilers online. Because even though this path did ultimately lead to death, he also didn't have a family to threaten. Honestly, that was insulting to consider. How dare they disrespect him by not reading the book they cursed him with!? Sloppy work.

"Well, if the killer actually manages to get past my home security, they won't find anyone there who they can threaten. So there's that plus," Percy brought up with a slight shrug. Percy didn't expect to be 'promised' no harm would come to him, though. In the event that he did get harmed, he wouldn't blame the detective for it or feel let down by him. Even with a promise written in stone. Of course, he still appreciated the sentiment. It was a kindness to offer when he didn't have to.

"You're too good to me, Detective. Just...don't get yourself killed out there while you're trying to keep that promise," he said with a bit of loving sternness at the end. Crossing his arms, he punctuated the statement with the words, "Or else," and refused to elaborate on what that may imply. Percy kept his attachments to as few as possible because of the danger he attracted, but one should never underestimate the wrath one can incur when threatening someone Percy cares about.

"Nevertheless," Sorin spoke up without looking up from his studious examining of the symbol, "If you're uncomfortable going home, you're more than welcome to stay with me. Ah-" Now he did look up. "-You'd have to deal with my partner, however, which hopefully wouldn't be a problem. He's harmless... mostly. He's just loud is all." And an idiot sometimes, but he wasn't going to say that out loud. It was bad form to insult someone when they weren't in the room currently to defend themselves.

Leaving that by the wayside for his friend to mull over, he could only smile as innocently as he could. "I just want you to know you can relax around me. Panicking in a situation like this could cause each of us to make mistakes. Mistakes that could wind up fatal. In... honesty, I was hoping that if I acted calm and confident, it might help you feel safer." Maybe he screwed up there on that part, but... A for effort, right?

"I don't know a great deal about witches or demons," he admitted after a breath, "But I can imagine they aren't the sorts that are quickly found, easily approached, and eager to answer questions. About as much as I can tell from this symbol is that it does have magic attached to it of some kind. It makes me feel... odd. Uncomfortable. Like nothing I've ever felt before. I can't even imagine how it makes you feel." He tapped a finger to the book. "In any case, this is a good lead. Deciphering this symbol is the place to start. Finding out what it means, and, more importantly, which of these two groups sent it... if either. But where do we go to learn about occult symbolisms...? I don't suppose you have any suggestions."

• Sweet
Percy replied to Sorin's invitation with a polite dip of his head, "Hmm. That hopefully won't be necessary, but thank you. We will see." He wasn't sure how far the 'never should we separate' situation was meant to go. Inconveniencing the detective and his partner was hardly ideal, but so was staying at someone else's house. Was it weird that he wasn't sure which sounded more uncomfortable between serial killer abduction and staying at a friend's house for the night?
Moving on from that, he nodded coolly at the suggestion to 'relax' around his detective friend. Relaxing wasn't something Percy really knew how to do, but he could at least pretend. They were on the same team, after all. The less they could put each other at risk, the better. However, he was trying to understand something about the innocently smiling man across from him-- "You acted calm and confident?" he asked with confusion. Realizing he was about to overthink it, he decided to dismiss his question, and then awkwardly talked on, "Actually. Nevermind. Um. Whatever you did, it worked, and you're appreciated for it. You did what I wish other people would do when they see me panic. Staying calm and inspiring calmness in me is basically all a person should do when I have my...moments..." At the end of the sentence, he waved his hand in a manner suggesting he'd rather avoid any more talk on this subject. People tell him to not be ashamed of his mental illnesses, but that was easier said than done.

Swallowing an emotional lump in his throat, he pulled out his cell phone so he could snap a picture of Sorin's drawing. That way he had a digital example for his own use, and for Googling. The internet was surprisingly useful when it came to identifying spells, symbols, and what more. Even if they couldn't get a specific answer online, they could still get a better idea of what realm this magic is tied to. Sorin saying that it gave unpleasant feelings only further confirmed how rotten this spell was. Magic put out vibes that could make people feel all sorts of feelings. "I do feel uneasy because of the magic at work here," he admitted, sounding tired in quite a particular way. "Turning my own art against me is a brilliant move. Nothing scares me more than the things in my own head. I'm all for facing my fears, but this wouldn't be my first choice on how to do it." Art was what helped him cope with his dark past and current problems. Turning all that trauma into drawings, books, songs, and clay models, it was all life-preserving therapy. But today it was extremely the opposite of that.

Scrolling through some information on his phone, he replied to what Sorin asked about 'learning occult symbolism, "I am connected with some people who know about the magical arts and all things occult. Including a guy who would know for sure if this is a witch's rune we're looking at. Which I do suspect this is. You saying that the magic makes you feel uncomfortable makes me think about witches and the power of intention. Perhaps this magic reeks with some intentions of the worst kinds.

The only other place I can think of is the local library. Which is a place that only seems regular... There are hidden sections of knowledge there. Which I do have access to." The librarian was a good friend, but she wouldn't like him bringing a 'visitor.' She'd probably let it be though because Sorin was helping Percy with a big problem.

• According to Plan
"I used to know someone who would panic at the drop of a hat," Sorin said, trying to explain himself. "Obsessive compulsive, afraid of germs, afraid of bugs. He was a walking panic attack and I learned too may different ways to calm him down and bring him back on track. I guess it's just... ingrained in me now to try and find it in others. Bah." Waved that one away. "That was a long long time ago though. In any case, I didn't mean any insult or offense by it if that was what you were worried about."

He was quiet for a long while after. Something about facing fears, particularly in one's own head. Why such such comments, such thoughts had to dig his own head into a darker place, he gave a quiet snort and shifted his weight uncomfortably. Knee bouncing under the desk, he was doing his very damned best not to let any thoughts betray and keep that poke face in place, but it was near impossible. Before Percival could notice and ask, he offered a comment or two to place. "Sometimes the mind itself can be a prison. Memories and dark thoughts like to attack us when we least want them to. But this is more than that, more than just troubling thoughts. To twist a world of fiction into a reality... It's scary to think about. The fact that it's possible."

"If you'll allow a second pair of eyes on this, I can send a picture of this to my partner as well," he suggested, "Cyrus knows his way around the internet a lot more than I do. He might be able to dredge up some things on dark magic that could prove useful. Of course, if you'd rather keep this between us, the fewer who know the better and all that, I won't drag him into it."

Agreeing with the other suggestions, he got out of his chair and moved away from the desk, ready to get the hell out of this office as soon as possible. "We can head to the library then. A little extra research never hurt anyone. If we don't find what we're looking for and you want to get into contact with your friend, we ought to set up a meet as soon as we can. The sooner we confirm what we're dealing with, the sooner we can work out a plan to stop this."

• Love
"Hmm..." Percival thought over the suggestion to include Sorin's partner, Cyrus. Doing so was certainly risky. However, if it was a risk that the man was willing to take, Percy was ultimately powerless to stop him. It wasn't right to tell a person what battles they were allowed to participate in. You'd only be met with resistance. "If you believe your partner should and could be of help, then invite him on. I trust him because I trust you. Share my number with him, as well, so that we can stay connected as a group." Having an internet-savvy supporter would be very handy. There were always clues to be found in the sea of digital information. Also, an incredible number of magic-inspired groups were on social media so they could spread their faith, do their networking, share resources, and more.

Sighing to himself, he pocketed his phone and checked himself over. Making sure he was presentable enough and that his hair wasn't an embarrassing mess. He was also craving a cigarette like crazy but he wasn't about to break his 4-year streak of being nicotine-free. "I think I would prefer the library first, myself. My witch friend would want to make a trade for the information if we go to him. And I'll just say this: he isn't interested in money." Obviously, that didn't explain everything, but he didn't want to overload his friend with...well....everything.

Deciding he was ready to leave, Percy showed up at Sorin's side so he could gingerly link arms with him. When he was in pleasant company, this was how he liked to walk with others. Whether it was him being a gentleman or just casually strolling with a friend or co-worker, he privately took comfort in the intimate closeness whenever he was allowed to have it. Also, secretly, he liked to feel and appear important everywhere he went.
"And, Sorin?" he spoke in a gentle yet firm tone. It was a soft demand for full attention. Dark chocolate eyes softened when they found the other man's gaze. "I'm very fortunate to know you. You have helped me immensely already, as my friend and as a detective. I'm grateful for the abilities you gained from all your past experiences. And it's...touching...to hear about your panicked friend. He was lucky to have you around." Percy was being completely honest, hoping that Sorin's confidence could benefit from it. Sorin was being there for him every step of the way so far. He'd have to offer the same so they could both survive this in the end. "I feel so safe and calm around you that I don't really...feel too afraid of what's coming anymore. I mean, not as much as I was before, anyway. And you've been so brave to face these unknowns with me." He surprised himself by saying that out loud, but it was too late to take it back.

Giving the other man's arm a delicate squeeze, he stepped in a way that insisted Sorin will lead while Percy will follow. He refused to say aloud that it contributed to how 'safe' he felt. But in all likelihood, a detective of all people would catch onto all the meanings in every little thing Percy did. "Now, off we go to the library. Episode 1 of our new TV show. Starring Detective Sorin and uhhh, me, Percy the Guest Star?--working together to solve the case!" he awkwardly announced, using his other hand to dramatically point at the doorway. And without really realizing it, he was actually attempting to either have fun or make humor in his dark situation. Sorin said to 'relax,' right? Was he doing it right?

(*sneaks in one more*)

Sorin tried his best not to flinch away, managing to hold himself steady and merely staring down to where they'd now be linked arm in arm to make their voyage to the library. He wouldn't really say that it was new to him, simply that he got used to being a loner. Being so close with another, no matter how impersonal or lacking in obvious intimacy it was, it startled him just a bit. Maybe Cyrus had been right when he told him he needed to make more friends and get out more. "The library it is then," he agreed with a curt nod, barely able to keep up that calm façade. It was sometimes so much easier to just stay at a distance and solve problems as they fell into his lap, sometimes not even needing to meet the person he was helping! The detective work that involved reading police reports and interviews and being able to solve them from there were the best sometimes.

Okay. Maybe he needed more of a social life after all.

Idly with his free hand, he fished out his phone from a pocket and shot off a text presumably to his partner. "The library it is then," he agreed as he finished typing a message and stuffed the phone back into his pocket where it belonged and could be temporarily forgotten.

"I could say the same," he admitted a moment after, "I don't have many people that I can effectively call friends. Each one I have ought to be considered something special." Especially for putting up with him. "My partner, Cyrus, often tells me I'm grumpy and need to loosen up." With a light shrug of his shoulders, he supposed he couldn't dispute it entirely. "I just... I like my work. I like helping people. It makes me feel good... especially when it's someone close to me."

With a light smile, maybe it wasn't all that hard to loosen up. Percy's attempt at levity was appreciated. Maybe his calm demeanor was helping after all to keep the situation cool and relaxed. This was a serious matter, but that didn't mean they had to scramble and panic their way through it, right? With a light bow and a slight flourish of his arm, he stepped out through the door of his office with friend in tow. "The library isn't too far. We could walk, or we could go in style? I do have a rather nice car..."

• Love
Mystery Thread has been concluded due to June 9th. If you both enjoyed rping with another; then I highly encourage you both to continue to converse via PM or Discord if you are comfortable as such! If you wish to use the prompt given, please feel free to do so!

If you wish to participate in another Mystery Thread, just reply to your PM'd Application and request Manna Beast to set you up for another one!

Thank you for participating; it was a joy to read along!

• Love
Reactions: Fluffy and Lyrikai
Status
Not open for further replies.