My roleplay keeps being edited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because mods & CVs are having to learn new modding habits, there's sometimes confusions. This was recently brought up to CVs and there's a chance someone missed it, or still doesn't quite understand. o___o

THREAD TITLES SHOULD BE AS FOLLOWS:

The Roleplay PAGE'S Title in the ROLEPLAY INDEX should NOT have any OOC/Private/Signup/Open text in the title. It needs to be the title of the roleplay only. This is because that page has multiple tabs and threads connected to it that are both signups and in character stuff. Mods are told to edit out any extra stuff from those titles.

The ACTUAL THREADS connected to that roleplay CAN have Signup/OOC in the thread title. Mods are NOT supposed to edit those out of THREAD titles, because YES it's very useful signup/ic in that thread title.

HOWEVER, there is a chance that when they fix the RP's Page title that it automatically changes the auto-created thread that was made when you created your roleplay. All you have to do is view that thread and go edit it's thread title. Don't Edit the main Roleplay Page's title. I am assuming this is where things keep getting changed back and forth. O__O

Tagging @Community Volunteers and @Staff to make sure people see thiiiiiiis.

Because mods & CVs are having to learn new modding habits, there's sometimes confusions. This was recently brought up to CVs and there's a chance someone missed it, or still doesn't quite understand. o___o

THREAD TITLES SHOULD BE AS FOLLOWS:

The Roleplay PAGE'S Title in the ROLEPLAY INDEX should NOT have any OOC/Private/Signup/Open text in the title. It needs to be the title of the roleplay only. This is because that page has multiple tabs and threads connected to it that are both signups and in character stuff. Mods are told to edit out any extra stuff from those titles.

The ACTUAL THREADS connected to that roleplay CAN have Signup/OOC in the thread title. Mods are NOT supposed to edit those out of THREAD titles, because YES it's very useful signup/ic in that thread title.

HOWEVER, there is a chance that when they fix the RP's Page title that it automatically changes the auto-created thread that was made when you created your roleplay. All you have to do is view that thread and go edit it's thread title. Don't Edit the main Roleplay Page's title. I am assuming this is where things keep getting changed back and forth. O__O

Tagging @Community Volunteers and @Staff to make sure people see thiiiiiiis.

Thank you, Diana; this helped me to no end. When I went to edit the title of my Thread, rather than the roleplay, I also discovered that this is why I no longer had my OPEN SIGNUPS prefix; it was enabled in the roleplay, but not in the thread. Changing it here rectified my issue and the information is good to know. I did not realise we could set separate titles for the Roleplay and the Thread.

Of course, this doesn't undo the issue of my Rules tab being (I presume accidentally) deleted. But fortunately it was not something major like my Overview, which I put a lot of effort into. This served as warning to me, as I had been foolish enough not to save a back up of the code. Lesson learned!

Many thanks again.

Of course, this doesn't undo the issue of my Rules tab being (I presume accidentally) deleted.
THIS one might be a bug. O_O So let me know if that ever happens again. Cause nothing in those extra tabs should ever get deleted or go missing.

THIS one might be a bug. O_O So let me know if that ever happens again. Cause nothing in those extra tabs should ever get deleted or go missing.
On a separate occasion, I lost my 'Cast List' tab when the title of my RP was edited to remove the [OOC] tag. Fortunately I had no accepted characters at the time, so all I needed to do was copy the character skeleton back into the tab.

Wait, I'm confused.

What do you guys mean thread vs roleplay?

Roleplay's all take place within threads.
Where are we supposed to name it if not in the thread?

@Gen. Gwazi Senpai, alright from my basic understanding if you edit the roleplay through "Edit Roleplay" options, you are actually editing the general topic, the thing that shows up in the Roleplay Index. If you go into the actual thread and edit it through "Thread Tools" you are editing the actual thread. I think.

Does that mean I should edit my own topic since all edits I made yo my topic was made thtough the Roleplay Edit options :?

Isn't it the Roleplay Title that pops up in Alert's though?
Where most of the confusion of which is OOC and which is IC comes from?

Also I went to double check the RP thread layout.
I can only see one actual visible title.

There's multiple tabs, but only one title.

This is actually confusing me too xD Hold on, I'm going to go poke around a bit :3

Last edited:
Alright! From my poking snd tinkering I have descovered there is, in fact, a difference between the Roleplay title and the thread title! If you change the Roleplay title via the means I mentioned above, it changes the actual title of the roleplay. But the difference isn't noticeable until you click on the thread tab. That's when the title changes. So basically, the overview has control over every thread you connect to the Roleplay and is thus the "hub", it's the actual thread tab that's the OOC :D Though whether or not this effects what shows up in my alerts has remained unseen v.v

EXAMPLE : By viewing Overview of my Roleplay (I know it's a weird little roleplay but it's my little roleplay >:[), the title simply reads Pokemon Kingdom, but if you click the thread tab, the title changes from Pokemon Kingdom to open sign-ups [OOC]: Pokemon Kingdom.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Hopefully it does.
Otherwise we're going to get the "Which is IC and OOC" confusion a ton.

Well, if it didn't, then I'm sure there would been a lot more complaints considering how non-recent this update is ^.^

Actually...

Now that I think about I personally got had this issue recently.
I didn't think about it at first, but when I think back on it the RP's I have this issue with did used to have IC and OOC disclaimers.

Meaning it's probably the thread title that's affecting the alerts.

Just to clarify:

The overview should NOT have OOC/IC/PRIVATE/OPEN or stuff like that in the name as 1. They are always OOC if they are in the group section 2. they are always IC if they are in the one x one section and 3. there are prefixes to show Private, open and jump in.

The thread that the overview links to though (See that thread tab in the overview?) THAT you can edit and change the title. DO NOT edit the title in the overview, only edit it in the thread tab. The thread is the one you will get alerts from so people will see that it's the OOC if the GM has decided to have that in the name.

Also @Diana since the thread changes the name together with the overview, should it maybe be added to the mod description to check the thread name and add back the OOC/private/open or whatever they had in the name so that it doesn't become so much confusion in the future? Most people will probably try to edit the overview instead of thinking about editing the thread, especially since we don't really have any information about it out for members. (And even if we had, few people really look up stuff xb)

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
o_o This new update got very confusing very quickly.

But I think I got the gist of this.
I'll need to host an RP post-update myself before confirming if I got it though...
Which might not happen in a while.

o_o This new update got very confusing very quickly.

But I think I got the gist of this.
I'll need to host an RP post-update myself before confirming if I got it though...
Which might not happen in a while.
If you take a look at this thread you will be looking at the overview. That shouldn't be edited into having any OOC or OPEN words in the title. If you click on the tab named thread you will be taken to the OOC thread. That can be edited to have OOC or something similar in the name. (This is done by clicking edit and then clicking the more options button)

Status
Not open for further replies.