My Little Assassin

The blow glanced off of his ear, making Thane wince. Muttering a curse, he rushed the boy, catching his jaw at a different angle than the blow he had delivered him earlier. At least the earlier one had made March bleed, which was more than what Thane could say about the blow he had received. "You've got to be able to handle pain, March. Don't pause when an enemy's drawn first blood. Unless he's your target, you do not have to kill them. You're new at this, so you've still got a soul. Don't waste it killing those not a part of the contract, okay?"

March stepped back again, wiping his mouth with his sleeve. His jaw was really hurting now, but he managed a slight grin as he held up a 'T' with his hands. He nodded, "Yes sir." Smiling a little, March gave Thane a thumbs up. "Don't worry, I won't back down so easily," March assured him.

"But for today, I think I need a break." He put a hand on his chin, shifting his jaw a little. He knew it wasn't broken, but it sure did hurt a lot. It was stinging, but he would be okay. For now though, March was sure it would bruise.

"Right. Fifteen minutes then, after we get the furniture back where it belongs," he added, smiling slightly. Picking up a chair, he carries it back where it belonged before working on getting the table back into the room. Once all the furniture was back, he asked March, "I'm assuming this is a full apprenticeship? You're to be living with me until you've progressed enough to become a full assassin?"

While he listened to his answer, he went to his fridge, getting out bottles of water for the two of them. Turning, he threw one in March's direction, opening his own and taking a long drink.

He nodded and started pulling furniture back into the dining room. He was careful not to bump anything or break it. That would be a doozy, wouldn't it, to go around breaking things. Hearing Thane's question, he nodded. "Yes, that's right. Though... If I get too bothersome, I'll just sleep outside," March replied, laughing a little.

March caught the water bottle and opened it, downing half of it in one swallow. It was a little tangy, so March wrinkled his nose for a moment. "May I use your bathroom? I think I need to wash my mouth out," he said, smiling a little.

"Down the hall, to the left. Don't go right, that's my bedroom," Thane answered with a gesture, pointing towards the hallway. Sighing as his apprentice left, he decided he would set up the guest room while he was gone. Walking down the same hall March had gone down, he went to the door at the end of the hallway, opening it.

The room was mostly simple, made up mostly of a bed and a dresser. There was also a nightstand to the left of the bed, along with an unplugged alarm clock. Moving to the closet, Thane got out sheets, pillows, and a blanket for the bare bed, and went to work making it. Struggling with the sheets, having trouble getting them to stay in place, he made a disappointing noise, frowning.

March nodded and headed down. He used his fingers to make an 'L', just to be sure he didn't go into Thane's bedroom. He was curious though, what kind of things did Thane keep in his bedroom? He remembered when he was young, he used to have pictures he and his dad drew hanging on the walls. In his last apartment, the walls were covered in posters for video games and bands.

The picture in his pocket though, that would always be with him wherever he went. It was a detailed picture of him and his dad that he drew in middle school. He always hung it up somewhere. By now, it was smudged and the paper was worn, it held though.

Rinsing his mouth, he went to the room at the end of the hall where he could hear his mentor bustling about. Seeing him struggle with sheets, March let out a little snicker. "Need help?" he asked cheekily.

"You're lucky I'm in a good mood today," Thane stated. "Otherwise, I'd definitely be hitting the cheek out of you by now." It was a mostly empty threat, which caused him to add, "Help get the sheets on. This'll be your room. I don't really care what you do to it, just don't have sex in here when I'm in the house and don't destroy the furniture. Think you can handle that?" he asked, placing the sheet corners underneath the mattress. "Oh, and if you make a mess, clean it up. I don't need another stain I need to clean up..." Biting the inside of his cheek, he gets to work on the rest of the bed, finally handing March a pillow and saying, "Fifteen minutes, then we're back to training, yeah?"

He straightened immediately and nodded. "Sure thing," he replied. March smiled a little, "And don't worry about the sex, I'm not the kind of guy who brings people home all the time." He walked in and leaned over the bed, straightening the sheets, then taking the pillow from Thane. March nodded, fluffing the pillow and tossing it to the head of the bed before turning to his mentor. "How long do you figure I'll be staying here?" he asked.

March had been wanting to ask since he was told he'd be staying with his mentor. He had left his apartment and put his things in storage, no wanting to have to pay rent while he was in training. He needed at least a rough guess at to how many days, so he knew when to start looking for a new apartment.

"It depends," Thane answered. "If you train hard, don't make mistakes, that sort of thing, you should be out of here in a couple months, maybe. If you don't do any of that, then we'll be here much longer." Looking at the room for a long moment, he repeated, "Fifteen minutes," and left, heading to the kitchen. Making himself a sandwich, he ate it quickly, having not eaten yet that day. He decided that he would make something more substantial later, learn what sort of foods March liked. The whole time, he kept a watch on the time, determined that at exactly fifteen minutes he would start training his apprentice again.

((Would've replied sooner, but things kept popping up in the middle of my post-writing))

March nodded and watched as his mentor left. Pulling out his paper, he put it under his pillow and sat on the bed. For a minute, he was thoughtful. I should go to the storage and bring a box of clothes... Or should I buy new ones...? He wondered. After a while, he shrugged and got up. He went to the kitchen to find his mentor. Even though the fifteen minutes weren't up yet, he guessed it would be fine to start a little earlier, right? "So what's the lesson this time?" March asked, smiling.

Thane shrugged, still sitting at the table. Carefully keeping both his hands underneath the table, where March couldn't see, he said, "Why don't we have a chat, you and I? No need to sit down, we won't be talking long." He waited for any sort of reaction before saying, "What prompted you to become an assassin? I don't mean to sound like a job interviewer, but I'm curious. It's not often that a boy like you would wake up one morning and say, 'Today, I will kill people for a living!' So...why?" He forced a good-natured smile, trying to appear approachable.

He tilted his head to the side curiously, wondering what had sparked this. It seemed like a normal, casual conversation, so he didn't think much of it.

March leaned against the wall, looking thoughtful. "Well," he began, "To be honest, it wasn't my first job choice." He laughed a little. "Anyway, some stuff happened, my dad got really ill and I had to find a way to pay bills. Unfortunately, my jobs before this never paid well, but we got by, y'know? It didn't matter because he died anyway." For a moment, March paused thoughtfully. "I guess, what made me want to take this line of work was the fact that I didn't take it when we needed it most. It's kind of... My way of saying 'Sorry I didn't take this job to get the money for better medicine' to my dad."

"Very interesting," observed Thane. "But it makes sense. I never knew either of my parents, though, so I wouldn't know." Thane had been a leaveling, one of the few who got left on the stairs of the many orphanages the Assassin's Order ran, using it as cover when needed. Some of those who got left were recruited into the Order at young ages, and turned into assassins. It was worse than being recruited, in some ways. The only parental figure you knew was the assassin who was assigned to you, and sometimes they could care less about their apprentices. Thane could still remember when he'd been a child, so many years ago, hugging the leg of his soon-to-be master, worry in his eyes as he was told that he would kill people for a living.

Keeping his expression blank, Thane suddenly moved, throwing two identical daggers towards March, intent on pinning him to the wall. He did, catching him by his shirt sleeves. "Right," he said, now grinning. Drawing more daggers, he moved to his apprentice. Using those to more or less completely immobilize him, he repeated, "Right." It was a bad habit of his, to repeat things he has already stated, but he rarely noticed it anymore, and didn't this time. "Get out of this without ripping your clothes and I'll take you out to where ever you want to eat tonight. If you do rip your clothes, and I'll check, then you will be training without them for a week, yeah?"

March froze, horrified as the daggers pinned him to the wall. As his mentor moved forward, placing more daggers artfully to make him completely immobile. "What...? But I can't," he said, pulling at his arms a little. "And what do you mean without them? Like... Naked? But... I don't wanna train naked," March complained.

He looked to the daggers in his shirt, knowing that if he could get those off, the rest would be pretty easy. How to do it without ripping anything, though? That was a bigger problem. He started moving one of his arms first, trying to push the dagger out carefully. He was reddening a little, his mind already going to the worst case scenario of a clotheless-March training with Thane.

((To rip, or not to rip? :P Anything specific you had planned out for either scenario?))

"Not my problem," Thane said with a grin, clearly enjoying his struggle. "While you figure it out, I'm going to catch up on some reading." Getting up from his seat, he goes to his living room, getting a library book off of the coffee table, which he had yet to read. It was titled, Philosophy and Art, and was one that he had been wanting to read for about a week. It wasn't too thick, but not thin either.

Sitting down on his chair, he props his feet up on his table, and said, "If you can't figure it out by the time I finish this, you won't have a choice in the matters concerning your clothes, got that? And yes, if you rip your clothes, you will be training naked. For a whole week." This time, his repeated words weren't unintentional.

"Go on," prompted Thane. "You shouldn't be wasting any time, you know. I'm a relatively fast reader..." Turning to his book, he begins reading, struggling to keep his eyes on the book and not on March's struggles.

((Either is fine, I just sort of made up the idea on the spot xD))

((Gotcha ;) xD))

March sighed a little, flopping against the wall. He was doomed, he wouldn't get a cheeseburger tonight, and he'd have to train a whole week in his birthday suit. After a moment or two, he turned his head to the side, trying his hardest to grip a dagger that was near his shoulder in his teetch.

"Almost..." he murmured. Finally he got it and pulled it out carefully, wiggling it a little until it fell to the floor. For once he was glad he had scrawny shoulders. His jaw was killing him though, he was straining it too much this day. With his shoulder free, wriggling the other daggers for that arm loose was fairly easy. After a few minutes, his arm was free.

March pumped his fist in the air in victory. His victory was short-lived though. See, when March feels triumphant, he does a fist-pump and a little kick. This time though, his kick was stopped by a dagger in his pant-leg. Instead, his leg went up and his pants stayed with the dagger and the wall. For a moment, March stared down at it blankly, as if he couldn't quit understand that his pants were ripped.

Finally, he let out a, "No! FML!"

Thane had noticed the rip before March did, the expression on his face a mixture between a blank smile and a bemused, knowing twinkle to his eyes. Finally, as March realized what had happened, Thane burst into laughter, a loud, obnoxious laugh that was rarely heard. Pounding his hand on the tabletop, it took several minutes for him to calm down.

When he did, he looked to March, still holding back chuckles, and said, "I completely thought you'd be more careful about it! I wouldn't've made you do it if I didn't think you'd be able to do it! Shit, that's funny." Talking mostly to himself for the next few moments, he finally ceased, and looked back to March.

"Well, I guess there's only one thing for it." Getting up, he set down his book, moving in front of his apprentice. Slowly taking out the daggers one at a time, daring the boy with his eyes to fight back.

Had he not been in that position, he would've laughed too. "I... I didn't mean to... I just... My happy dance..." he stuttered. March was reddening, knowing he must look ridiculous with his leg sticking out and his pants ripped. "I was trying to be careful!" he defended, looking away.

As the daggers were pulled out, March stood there with a pouty face. "I... I'm not tan at all," he said woefully. "And... I'm so scrawny."

"Doesn't matter," Thane stated, still grinning evilly. "You couldn't get out of the daggers without ripping your clothes. This is the punishment." Freeing him completely from the daggers, he sets each one on the table, before taking March by the elbow and leading him towards his bathroom. Lightly pushing him into the bathroom, he said, "Take off all of your clothes. I'll be burning them tonight. Don't worry, if we ever have to go out in public, I'll lend you clothes, but these are turning into ashes." Shutting the door behind him, he waits for March to get out, having difficulty getting the smile off of his face.

"B-but!" he protested, but as he was pushed into the bathroom, he realized there was no choice. "This is my favorite shirt!" March whimpered, not wanting to see it burn. He sat on the edge of the bathtub, pouting and refusing to undress.After a while though, he sighed and figured he might get thrown out if he didn't follow his orders. "Fine then," he muttered. March pulled off his shirt, revealing a tattoo of yin-yang with a dragon and a tiger on his chest. Next came his pants and, unfortunately, his boxers. Naked, head-to-toe, March poked his head out of the bathroom. He kept his boxers gripped tightly in his hand, still covering his member. "I'm done," he said quietly.