My Educational Choice is making people angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flannel

I've decided that when I turn seventeen, I'll be dropping out of high school.

When I say this to anyone, the typical reaction is, "Oh my god! Why would you do that.." or "So you're okay with working at McDonalds all your life?"

This reaction has really started to irk me because it seems that most of those people jump to the conclusion that high school is something I just wanted to quit, that I have no desire to attend college.

I have EVERY desire to attend college. I hated high school because the material bored me to death. I had no problem socializing (another assumption) or any of that.

Let me first say that I was supposed to graduate in 2018, and as it stands I would graduate in 2020. I failed 2 years because I did not go to school. My brother's reaction was, "if you don't go to school now, you won't go to college." Meanwhile my mom is supportive and swears up and down she hated high school but loved college.

I'm just very tired of being put down about a choice that will effect MY future, not theirs. There are plenty of successful people with GED's.
Rant over.

Most people who say they're dropping out don't do anything else. Next time you explain your choice to people, you might want to add "And get my GED" to the end of it.

Anyway, I feel you. I hated high school. I didn't love College, but it's an entirely different beast and easier to deal with because you (generally) have more personal freedom. I wanted to drop out of high school all the time. My parents forced me to keep going. I ended up going the other direction because of that and working to graduate early instead just so I could get it over with sooner.

Of course, at the time I also had no desire to go to college. I got forced into that, too. I don't think it makes a difference, personally. Not at this point. But, this is not my rant thread. =]
Good luck with your GED test and I hope things go a lot more smoothly for you in the future.

Reactions: Flannel
Most people who say they're dropping out don't do anything else. Next time you explain your choice to people, you might want to add "And get my GED" to the end of it.

Anyway, I feel you. I hated high school. I didn't love College, but it's an entirely different beast and easier to deal with because you (generally) have more personal freedom. I wanted to drop out of high school all the time. My parents forced me to keep going. I ended up going the other direction because of that and working to graduate early instead just so I could get it over with sooner.

Of course, at the time I also had no desire to go to college. I got forced into that, too. I don't think it makes a difference, personally. Not at this point. But, this is not my rant thread. =]
Good luck with your GED test and I hope things go a lot more smoothly for you in the future.
It's actually the GED part of it that people get so pissy about. I never just said "I'm dropping out." ;<

Thank you very much for posting your thoughts, I appreciate it!

Reactions: Vardoger
Dude, you just have to put those people on ignore.

I know many people who went for the GED instead of graduating high school and most have been successful. One of my friends is working for Google now and they're raking in the moolah.

Anyway your education is just that - your education. You should be the one making that decision. I don't judge you, especially with the way education has changed lately. My little brother is going through high school now and the stuff he's doing makes me cringe.

But anyway, I'm sure you know this already! Just know there are people out there who will support your choices.

• Thank You
Reactions: Vars and Flannel
Dude, you just have to put those people on ignore.

I know many people who went for the GED instead of graduating high school and most have been successful. One of my friends is working for Google now and they're raking in the moolah.

Anyway your education is just that - your education. You should be the one making that decision. I don't judge you, especially with the way education has changed lately. My little brother is going through high school now and the stuff he's doing makes me cringe.

But anyway, I'm sure you know this already! Just know there are people out there who will support your choices.
Thank you for the reply! It was very reassuring and deeply appreciated ❤️❤️

• Love
Reactions: tigertruth
I dropped out of high school for a year and it was the worst decision of my life, but if you have a back-up plan, then you should go for it. There's plenty of schooling alternatives and I know plenty of people with their GED who are going off to college. As long as you stay focused and ignore those negative people, you can do whatever you put your mind to (and I'm not just saying that, some of the most successful people in the world are high school dropouts).

That being said, good luck on your GED test and whatever future you decide to pursue!

If you're going to get a GED and continue your Education then you're golden. I know a few guys who did that. It's not like you're giving up anyway.

You can get just as much done with a GED as you can with an "official" diploma, so do you. I'm sure if you're dedicated, you'll blow it and college out of the park anyway.

You can get just as much done with a GED as you can with an "official" diploma, so do you. I'm sure if you're dedicated, you'll blow it and college out of the park anyway.
This, times a million.

I'm doing a GED prep course right now, and parents are full on board with it. A general equivalency diploma is essentially a high school diploma that wasn't earned in a traditional high school setting, so it's valid everywhere a high school diploma would be. Hell, I'd even wait to go to college too since requirements for mature students (people who have been out of high school for more than one year) are more relaxed than those for people applying straight out of high school.

I don't know many, but a few people—mostly family members—who either a) dropped out entirely or b) did that and got their GED, and for the latter it hasn't proposed a lifelong problem to them. For the former, I only know one—my uncle—and he's a freelance/contract construction worker (/carpenter/general labor lmao) and he is r o l l i n g in the cash money. If money is any issue anyway. it's 50000000000x harder, but it's doable. he's old as hell so I don't know the experiences he went through to get where he is, but he's there, which is what matters. he had like three harleys last time I saw him lmao. (it's possible. you just have to dropkick into those DMs ∠( ᐛ 」∠)_)

Even if you didn't pursue a degree/fancy piece of paper at a ~*~ college ~*~, there are also vocational and trade schools, working freelance, entrepreneurship, etc., so there are a load of options you could pursue, depending on your goals. it'll always be harder so long as we live in this economy and in this form of capitalism in general, but possible. and if you're doing freelance, you'll probably need another job on the side anyway, but it's worth mentioning.

the GED and diploma aren't that different at all. the only deal people have with thinking an official diploma is more valid is because of some qualms they have with whatever reason the person had to make them drop out (or whatever happened)—which doesn't make sense if they have the GED in the first place. people make assumptions that if you have a GED, you must be dumb, or lack work ethic, or have attendance problems, etc. if they have that prejudice, anyway. some/a good chunk of employers (that don't require degrees lmao) don't give a crap.

a lot of the people I've met that have GEDs have been self-motivated. usually. because most of the time, those people got it because they couldn't get a "regular" diploma, and much of the work to get the GED in the first place is centered around your own actions. which takes a lot of work. on top of that, people can use real-world experience they have to learn more and do freelance or work their way into full-time contract work with a company or something (or. . .continue doing freelance)—like a number of graphic/web designers and computer technicians are known to do. not always, but it happens a lot. so if you've got, say, experience in coding, you could expand that if you enjoy doing it and possibly make something out of it that doesn't necessarily require a degree.

the whole "must have X years of experience OR a degree" bit is hard to get around unless you are a stone cold stunner with a load of promise behind you
I feel so old and jaded talking about this lmfao. what goes behind your certification/diploma/piece of paper matters more than the paper itself, although that paper is meant to be shorthand for your experience(s). (and it's what a lot of people base their judgment on, as you've experienced and will continue experiencing.)

after you get the GED, whenever you go into college (if you still want to go when you decide!), that's when the grades and attendance and everything matter. you can go in there, get your associates with good/passable grades, and see from there about whatever else you might want to do. with transferable classes, good grades, an associates, and a good idea of what you want and where you're going, you can go to a university and continue your education. community colleges don't judge. much.

TL;DR there are caveats to it but you have support from your mom, at least, and you've already found other people that are like "that's cool, dude." you'll find more. you have drive, too; I doubt you'd be ranting here otherwise.

or,

man I got way too passionate about that

Reactions: Kagayours
Honestly I went to a specialized university that didn't even a GED. I dislike the amount of stress high school give kids . No wonder there is so much depression in our teens

College provides a structured environment for the last 2 (maybe 3?) generations of young adults who increasingly require said structure to develop independence of maturity...in theory.

Moving outside said structure implies you've thought out the fact that you will need to nut up and mature up rather quickly. Paying your own bills, insurance, and not getting short-changed by a bunch of asshats in the work force is a very fast track in the school of hard knocks.

I know and associate with numerous successful individuals who either have GEDs or went into the military in lieu of university (those are the only two variations I've encountered; I am sure there are others). However, what they all had in common?

Common sense.

You don't have that, then maybe you should reconsider going into a more structured environment, such as university, where there is a degree of safety/buffering from some of the financial/social/economic/professional realities that come with independence.

Otherwise, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.