FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Online Availability
10am - 11pm PT weekends, 8pm - midnight PT weekdays
Genres
Fantasy, Scifi, Modern, Magical, Medieval, "Gifted," Egg Adoption / Mythical Creature bonding, sci-fi fantasy crosses, Harry Potter
@Jays
I'm splitting off into another thread since we've got a lot going on, and it'll be way easier for me to keep track of with a separate thread. xD

Here's what we got so far (copy-pasted because I'm too lazy to summarize)...

Original plots being mashed together:

Mutants / Running from the government / Rebellion

Muse A has been working for the government catching mutants. They've been hot on Muse B's tail and are closing in fast. But what happens when Muse A develops mutant powers of their own?

Alternative ideas. Muse C is a mutant that has infiltrated the government's ranks. Muse A has done a good job busting previous hidden operatives in the branch, and Muse C has seen a lot of their friends locked up by Muse A. They've been working together (well, really Muse C has been helping Muse B stay ahead of the game) when the developments above happen.​

Rebel against the Rebellion [fantasy]

For as long as you can remember, your kind, mages, have been oppressed. Magic is rooted out and destroyed. You and those like you live in fear. For years, there has been a rebellion brewing, and you do your part. The rebellion stands for a world where mages and non-mages can live together in peace, where those talented with magic are seen no different from someone talented at sports. Finally, just when things are falling into place, the major leaders of the rebellion fall, one by one, until the one who claims the lead has a vision not nearly so in line with the future you saw. This new leader believes that mages are superior, that mages ought not only take their place in society, but ought to rule it, but to this, you cannot agree.

This could be medieval or modern.
Your mashup

Personally I'm thinking of a mash up between Mutants and a modern setting Rebel against the Rebellion, and we can cram superhero theme in there somewhere, maybe (although I'm yet to see how).

Might go something like this (?): Muse A and Muse B moves in together, but secretly Muse B's a mutant brainwashed from an early age working for the government catching mutants and suspected Muse A might be a rogue (or, ya know, neither of them realize who the other is and it's Mr. and Mrs. Smith kind of scenario). At the same time, the a new Mutant Leader rose through the rank of a mutant rebellion who believes their kind to be superior (basically the Rebel pitch but replacing mage with mutant). Through some sort of twisted espionage plot, Muse A's burned by his/her government and Muse B's...idk, disowned by the community led by the new leader or something, and the two previous enemies have to work together to stop a plot by the new leader to bring about a world ruled by mutant kind (the more I wrote the more it sounds like a trash thriller novel lol). With some wiggling we can include the 2 tropes as well, if Muse B is some sort of anti-intelligence for the Rebellion.

It's just an idea, I'm open to anything, and if you can someone work the other plots in as well (I can't see how right now) then I'm all for it. Tell me what you think <3.​

My response blurb

I do think it could be really interesting if Muse B were working for the government but actually a double agent secretly working for the rebellion, and when the new mutant leader rises, tries to convince Muse A to go after this new leader (who maybe Muse A originally thinks is a nameless nobody 'cause they've never heard of this person before, and they've been after the organization for quite a while). And we can keep Muse A as a hotshot mutant hunter whose powers developed late.

Definitely do think we can weave in Muse A getting burned by their government, and Muse B getting disowned by the community. ^_^​

So I think we have, so far ...

Muse A: Working for the government catching mutants. Along the way, accidentally or somehow develops mutant powers of their own. Whuuups. Now what?

Muse B: A double agent working for the government but actually working for the Rebellion. Watches as new leadership takes over the Rebellion and doesn't exactly see eye-to-eye with them. Whuuups. Now what?

I think we can totally throw in some Teethclenched Teamwork, especially if we explore the whole new mutant leader thing before Muse A discovers their powers or figures out what to do with that nonsense. Or maybe they try to work with other govvie types. xD

Do you lean toward Muse A or Muse B? (<-- This is me not being helpful again. xD I could probably have stronger opinions.)

Reactions: Jays
This is how I imagine our plotting will go in the future
"What do you want to do?"
"What do you want to do? We'll do what you want."
"No it's ok I can do what you want."
"No let's do what you want."
"No u."
"no u"
"no u"
"etc."

:P

My original pitch was actually a bit different, I think I was being unclear with the word choice "rogue", plus messing up who's who.
It's actually:

Muse A: 2 options (mine and yours)
  • One of a few mutants brainwashed at a young age, taught to hate his/her own kind (see themselves as some sort of good mutant fighting against all the bad mutants) and used by the government as last-option heavy-hitter to contain especially difficult cases. The new rebel leader managed to somehow got to one or more of the other government's mutants and turn them and the government goes "nope can't take the risk" and put out an extermination order for the rest of their brainwashed mutants including Muse A.
  • Muse A's a loyal agent of the government tasked with hunting down mutants. Their perspective can either be extreme idealism and view all mutant as evil incarnate (causing an overwhelming moral dilemma and self-doubt once they develop mutant abilities) or be logical enough to realize that mutants are not evil by themselves, only dangerous (less of a shock upon gaining abilities, but still biased and loyal enough to willingly report it to the government and bring a death sentence down upon him/herself, also more willing and capable of seeing the mutant's perspective and switch side).
Muse B: my original idea
  • Muse B's the rebellion's anti-intelligence expert (or literally anything else) working to hide its member and detect spies from the government. Can be close to the old leader, or simply does share the new leader's ideal and try to stay neutral, but the new leader secretly put out a kill order on him/her, either to remove opposing factions and solidify his power or simply a "if you're not with me you're against me" kind of mindset. Or (more options still) it's not a kill order but one to capture cuz Muse B has something the leader wants, or knows something the leader wants to know. One way or another, he/she is screwed.
I just think the idea of them doing things behind each other's back and suspiciously eyeing each other all the time in the beginning is really fun as oppose to them already knowing and working together at the start, which will be the case if Muse B's a double agent.

Right now I'm leaning toward Muse A, mainly because I picture him/her in my head as a total douche and you're so nice I can't picture you as a douche. I, only the other hand, can play a really, really punchable person.

Please don't hesitate to give more ideas if these don't catch your eyes. Please, really do it, don't be shy, I'd love to hear what you think and I don't mind, at all, anything.

Oooooh! Yeah, I was totally confused. I like it! And the bit about Mr. and Mrs. Smith and how they don't really know what the other one does but is suspicious makes so much more more sense now. *facepalm* Definitely love the part where they're both on the run from their supposedly respective sides.

I'm down for Muse B. Someone else PM'd me with a slightly different mash up where I'm stepping into something like Muse A, so Muse B would be good for variety. (And, aha ... thanks? I do look forward to this punchable person. :D)

So start with something like the two moving in together? Or when they start to get suspicious?

To steal another page from Mr. and Mrs. Smith we could potentially have them both assigned to go after the same target. Maybe Muse A is going in for the catch / kill and Muse B is trying to meet up for some intel / an extraction.

It seems like we're on completely opposite time zone just looking at the time we reply lol

On that same target thing, what if there's a mole inside the rebellion and Muse A's going in to extract them in exchange for information while Muse B's trying to eliminate this mole. That's what you're talking about, right? If this is the case then we could start with them already moved in together for a while and the very beginning would be them gearing up for this particular mission while trying to hide from the other person, it'd be super awkward and hilarious I think.

Wooo! I'm back!

I did post the original search thread while completely jet-lagged from coming back from Japan... so ... that was probably the least representative of when I'm actually online. xD

I like your expansion. :D Makes you wonder if the mole just somehow faked being mutant very well or if they were blackmailed or something.

I kinda like the idea of starting with them just moving in, buut I can also appreciate cutting straight into the action.

Also, when you say moving in -- I was imagining as roommates, but I'd figured I'd check ... Is that where you were thinking to? I think if they were the type of roommates who mostly seemed to keep to themselves could work jumping straight to gearing up.

Yeah that's what I meant. They wouldn't be particularly close, just live together to blend in or smth :)

Saweet! So ... have you started thinking characters? Any gender preferences or the like? Or we just gunna go through this whole thing as Muse A, Muse B? :D

I'll probably end up doing a bio like:

Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
History:
Anything else?

Seems comprehensive enough. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head other than maybe occupation. I usually play male, my female characters are garbage xP

Heh. That life think kicked me.

Do you have a preference for what gender character you play against?

And I'll actually get around to charactering hopefully these next couple days...

I have no preference, although depending on the character I play against I'll do my part very differently.

Do you want to work a bit on world-building? I think it'll be interesting.