Mutant, Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christian, during his coffee routine, had thought that if he got dressed he could possibly still get a chance at the mission at the airport. He lived relatively close to it and he wouldn't bother taking a car. His long legs were there for a reason.

So here he was, sprinting down the city streets and sliding past everyone in his way. Saying a meager 'sorry' if he had run into them but if he knocked something out of their hands he'd spend the extra minute or so helping them put the object back in their arms. Christian was running out of breath now, but the airport was right in front of him. So picking up his pace again he jogged, brown eyes searching for the area where he knew taxis were. He came up on a whole bunch and tried scanning over them for Lily, or Ms. Martin, spotting someone helping a young man who seemed to be bleeding from the head.

Gasping for breath he walked over to that taxi and he had spotted Ms. Martin's bright hair inside the car, leaning over to the open door.. Sure his appearance was unexpected, but he was assigned to this task and he really wasn't one to not do what he was told regarding his tasks. "Ms. Martin, ma'am! I apologize for my tardiness. I was assigned to this task as well but I overslept and I'm just glad I made it here in time," he greeted between sharp intakes of breath, bowing his head. It was his signature trait, bowing to everyone he met or bowing for an apology.

ZOOLYtUViDrFnaD2D0FLlCNu0jBNy50OI-sxIBNW97E61LO2v_Z0RTRRAguxVUoUYzxOLHAVKnGisycHpphlxiilPJrPTc9EsAuzJRyoW2TEBtgbHWy9hOAoXpHyHGXDPQ

Everything was spinning, his head hurt like hell, like he had been hit with a boulder....Was he hit by a boulder? Maybe a gorilla, the pain was just shooting through his head violently. He could faintly see his hands and could see the small amount of blood on them and the small burn from when he put his hand up for the fireball, He could see feet walking past him but not paying attention to him sitting there. It was normal, he didn't look like a figure one would help out in an alley. Until he heard a voice, almost calm, calmer than he liked but he slowly raised his head to look at the man. His one eye open barely, the sun bothered his head at this moment but with the bit shaded area it was easier for him to open his eyes. "You look like you been through hell in. a hand basket, kid. What happened?", the voice rang through his open head, bouncing off the walls and jamming their way into his brain. He went to move his lips to exhale and talk but it was not working at the moment. He then opened his eyes together and cleared his throat roughly, " Feels like it to...." he voiced out and groaned taking the mans hand trying to attempt standing " My...uhm..so called friends-" he coughed interrupting himself before continuing " Jumped me...or atleast attempted, son....this world sucks...ya know, or atleast for me...", Shadow said as he squinted at the man " You look like you enjoy your life...whats ya name son " his slang kicking in a bit being more confused on where he was at the moment.​

"Name's Sam Ebayan, and don't call me 'son,' kid," Ebayan smirked. "I'm old enough to be you father. Here, let me help you up."

Ebayan offered a hand and hefted the young man up onto his feet. The mercenary's eyebrow lifted in recognition as he felt the telltale tingle of his mutant power activate upon contact. "You're a mutant," he said solemnly. Mutant violence was far from uncommon; certainly on past hits he contributed. He released the youth's hand. "You'll probably want to NOT try to use your powers, whatever they are, for the next few minutes. You'll find that they won't work." He waved his fingers at him. "You're not the only one with abilities."

Ebayan waved down Lily and Robert, noticing that a third man had joined them at the taxi. "Speaking of which, I have some friends you might want to meet. If you ever get tired of getting your ass kicked because of what you are, you might want to give these guys a call."

Jamie drove down the streets with a grim-set frown. She wasn't a particularly grim-set person. In fact if allowed she could be the life of the party, her enthusiastic personality easily winning certain people over. But today she was a little grim. She had at last been recruited by the Mutant Legion after almost two years of clambering around rooftops like some comic book nutcase - she supposed they were just waiting until she was legally eighteen - and she wasn't even being let in the field. Well, more the airport. She had been told that Asphodel would be bringing people along from there and taking them to their main base of operations, a headquarters in a sense. And she had to just meet them there! Asphodel was her hero and she would be one of the last to meet her! It made her teeth grind together, but at least Emri had no cause to be jealous.

Thinking of the acclaimed moviestar she shared a bed with prompted her to cheek her lips in the rearview mirror. "Appearance absolutely isn't anything," Emri had told her, "but it's the only thing they pay attention to." Not that Jamie really needed telling; she always had those shades on to hide her double pupils.

Driving down the street, she noticed a cab pulled over at the curb. There was a man helping another one up, and also a third and fourth man, and a woman with bright red...wait a minute...

She braked suddenly and got out, her heart fluttering madly. There was no mistaking her. Asphodel looked even better than her posters, which were just copied internet images. That figure, that hair, that confident powerful expression - she felt almost like she knew her. Okay, Jamie, deep breaths, she thought to herself. This looks like something serious. Don't be all crazy fangirl now.

"Um, excuse me? Ms. Martin?" she began. "I'm Jamie Weber. I was supposed to meet you at..." it occurred to her discretion was probably needed, so she shouldn't say the actual place "the address. But I saw this and I - Are you alright?"

Stupid question. He sure didn't look alright. Also, Jamie herself didn't feel alright, either. Her perfect balance was suddenly harder to maintain and her vision didn't seem quite as sharp.

Robert gave Christian a quick nod in greeting, choosing not to call out the man's tardiness for fear of being called a hypocrite. He could see that Christian had probably sprinted the whole way there anyway.

"I'm just sayin'," he said to Sam, "we can't help all of 'em. Mutants like this kid are getting beaten up left and right every single day. If we just went for the bigger picture..." He slowed to a stop and gave a frustrated huff when he realized his words were falling on deaf ears; Sam was already getting out of the taxi.

The arrival of yet another teammate caught Robert's attention. She was pretty cute, he noted -- done up well, and her outfit didn't leave much to the imagination. "He was probably in a gang fight or something," Robert said to this newcomer. "We just found 'im like this."

Lily had remained in the cab, her expression a mixture of horror and confusion as Sam ordered the cab to stop and jumped out before she could say anything to stop him. This wasn't exactly a good part of town to be in, and she fulfilled three traits that would get her killed here; female, goth and mutant. The sudden drop in signal levels made her edgy to boot; several blockers were being used in the vicinity, and she didn't like that one bit. So she stayed exactly where she was, arms folded in silent agreement with Robert. She'd had more than enough training to deal with any attempted attacks on the street, and she'd had enough sense to stay out of alley ways.

She almost jumped out of her skin as Christian, rushing what sounded vaguely like an apology and bowing profusely. The technopath looked at him blankly for a moment before sliding out of the taxi on her side and crossing over to him. She knew he had been assigned to her earlier, but had assumed he just wasn't going to show. That earned him some points, although not many. She couldn't find the energy to scold him now, so she did what she did best. "We'll talk later," her voice dropped, letting the cool and even tone deliver the threat.

Although out of the car now, Asphodel's abilities were operating on full, and her guard was on high. Even as Ebayan waved at them, she refused to budge, focusing instead on trying to find the cause of the lack of signal. She wasn't going to waste her breath trying to warn him off; they'd just have to deal with an ambush if it came.

Lily's attentions were drawn away as she heard a voice call her. She blinked once or twice; she hadn't rolled that way in years, not to mention she had to be almost ten years younger than her, but this woman was making her quickly rethink that. She cleared her throat and nodded, a flood of information on this Jamie Weber entering her brain. Partner of Emerald Cassidy, and a relatively new recruit despite the years she had been working on her own.
"Can we get going again?" She shouted across to Ebayan and his new found friend. She had located the strongest source of the signal block; it wasn't too far away and it was government owned property. "And don't think your friend is coming with us,"

Christian stopped bowing when Lily came to his side and he stood straight. He knew he was to be scolded, that didn't bother him. An answer from him wasn't really needed because... what was there to say? A 'yes' was literally the default answer so he just nodded his head briskly and he returned his attention to the other newcomer.

Ebayan turned toward Lily. "That's his call to make, whether he wants to join up or not. At any rate, it would still be a good idea that he get to a hospital to have that head wound looked at."

He suddenly felt the telltale tingling of his power kicking in once again. "Ugnh," he grunted under his breath. He wasn't touching anyone, but his negation ability was being remotely activated. He glanced around, trying to figure out whom. Lily had a few new faces with her, and a young woman with sunglasses caught his attention.

She has some kind of remote mutant power. Most likely a passive one, if its setting off my power.

Ebayan nodded to the newcomers. "Sam Ebayan. I think I overheard you introducing yourselves to Ms. Martin. Christian and Jamie, was it? If you're with Martin, then I assume you're with...her organization," he said, being discreet. "Consider me your bodyguard."

He addressed Lily once again. "The kid in the alley seems well enough. If we're on a timetable, by all means, let us continue, Ms. Martin. But if he wants to tag along, it would only be polite to at least give him a ride to the ER."

Jamie nodded discreetly back to Sam Ebayan. Her vision seemed to become even more unfocused when she looked at him than anyone else.

"I won't need protection, Mr. Ebayan, so long as you keep your distance," she replied curtly. "Normally it's other people who need protection from me."

She was talking up a big game and she knew it. She also knew she couldn't back it up. Despite working with knives and guns she had been very careful not to actually kill anyone during her rooftop heroics. For her reluctance, she was probably the least dangerous one there.

But Asphodel was right; they should get going. Her eyes lingered on her for a moment as she headed towards her parked car. This woman was commanding in just about every way. She would have no problem being under her thumb. She quickly got in her car so no one could see her blushing like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.