Music's place in the modern world

V

Vay

It seems a lot of people disagree with me when I say Music's most important role is to be the jester of the modern world. To show things in a light as viewed by the everyday people who walk this world and most importantly to break down complacency. It should share that role with the other arts, tv, cinema radio plays, and all branches of free expression. While I'm not saying all music or fiction should have a point just saying the ratio of the uninspired song about tapping a hoe and songs with real meaning is way way off and that the industry is that and nothing more an industry.

I put this out here to get feedback and intelligent debate. So please share your opinions.

It really depends on the music, to be honest. If you're listening to Public Enemy to be entertained, you're probably barking up the wrong tree. I listen to many different kinds of music, for many different reasons. I particularly enjoy songs about political activism. Songs that make you think, rather than something to numb the brain with.

Music for me is that final barrier between sanity and completely flipping my shit. The music industry is in the business of attempting to preserve mankind's sanity, and uses various mediums to do so.

Both true, but most music in unsuited to that task and seems to me to be created simply to be sold.

If I wanted opinions on something I'd get it from people with degrees on it, not in musicians.

With that said, music has been and will remain a form of entertainment and storytelling with less words and more bitchin' beats.

But maybe that's just me.

Music is my anti-psychotic. It screams in my ear so you don't have to.

If I wanted opinions on something I'd get it from people with degrees on it, not in musicians.

With that said, music has been and will remain a form of entertainment and storytelling with less words and more bitchin' beats.

But maybe that's just me.

You don't need a degree to share your views on the world, the state it's in and share your opinions.
Of course most mainstream music is about love, partying and having a good time and 2nd-degree commercials for....things/trends, because..thats what the "man" wants you think about.

I guess, eh, to me, music reflects on everything.

You don't need a degree to share your views on the world, the state it's in and share your opinions.

Bingo. I don't have a degree, yet there are some who come and ask my opinion on things. I'm sure it's the same way with everyone here, whether you're talking about politics, cars, or the latest Stephen King novel. People may agree or disagree, however, and that's all a part of what makes us individuals.

I'll listen to anyone's opinion, but I don't have to agree. :)

Half the time knowledge of a field can kinda cloud an opinion.. Not that i'd want an opinion from anyone in the UK charts currently..

I ended up listening to it on a car trip the other day and I swear in the top 20 there were all of 3 songs that weren't R&B.. I mean Britain used to be good at music, we used to have more than just samey rap songs with the girl doing a chorus and a guy half rapping over some sample.. -.- I miss rock..

.-. It really depends on the genre for me, but I can't help but be attracted to a hot beat when I hear one. I tend to seek music that fits one or both of the following personal requirements: it's got a good beat, or, the lyrics are appealing and well-written. Often, these two interests will conflict, but I've managed to find both in some places other than the U.S. *Gives Vocaloid software shameless lurve* But more importantly, my point is that the beat and the background music and making it "sellable" is a process that can involve almost as much creativity and expression as the lyrics or message can, so music does still somewhat serve as a creative outlet, but (admittedly) also does serve as just something to dance to in my mere opinion.

.-. It really depends on the genre for me, but I can't help but be attracted to a hot beat when I hear one. I tend to seek music that fits one or both of the following personal requirements: it's got a good beat, or, the lyrics are appealing and well-written. Often, these two interests will conflict, but I've managed to find both in some places other than the U.S. *Gives Vocaloid software shameless lurve* But more importantly, my point is that the beat and the background music and making it "sellable" is a process that can involve almost as much creativity and expression as the lyrics or message can, so music does still somewhat serve as a creative outlet, but (admittedly) also does serve as just something to dance to in my mere opinion.

Aye, good point written well. Though I don't totally agree with the "depends on the genre.." point.