1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Advanced
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Modern/realistic. Low fantasy. Low Scifi. Supernatural. Future Dystopia (not post-apoc).
What are some songs that bring you back?

Maybe a special couple/relationship song, a song you heard at a very pivotal time in your life, a song you played on loop for years that you still like?

What are the songs and what memory do they relate back to?

Thanks to @Kagayours for the idea behind this thread.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
Coincidentally, this song played on my way to: the airport from MEPs, from the airport to Boot camp, in the cab from airport to TDY for my separation.
So, lots of mixed feelings there. Px

Linkin Park - The Little Things Give You Away
This song came out in 2007... Damn. Anyway I have clinical Depression. I'm like 99% ok now with maintenance, but for many years this was my "crying song" lol.
Still makes me feel kinda weird, which is a shame, because it's a pretty cool song, I think.

U2 - Vertigo
Kinda funny since everyone seems to hate U2. I first heard this song randomly in a bar while vacation. I eventually figured out what the song was and now it's my, idk, "get hype" song I guess haha.

Last edited:
This was the first song where I actually understood the lyrics... I think I was 12 years old? It was my first favourite song as well.

This next one is for a funnier reason. It's the first song I saw on television after I got married. It just makes me giggle a whole lot.

This... hm... it was during a time when I was just properly discovering anime, fanfiction, roleplaying, and finally meeting people online that actually got me. It was a breaking point during my life and this song was played a lot during that time.

And last (because if I had to continue I'd have to many) is this song. :'3 It's when me and the Mister left to live on our own. We left for the other side of the world and it was seriously a great adventure, best times of our lives.

Reactions: Vardoger
I was tiny when this came out, but just old enough to remember this being in a cd compilation commercial. For some reason my mind associates it with how my home looked at the time. I remember the ancient green carpet from the '70s and our old cabinet TV. Used to watch WWF every Monday night, good times.

During high school I wanted to write a fanfiction with this song. I never got around to it so hearing it haunts me with nostalgia of those school years. We weren't allowed to listen to music during study hall(so boring) so I used to print off the lyrics to songs I wanted to write to and use my mind as a cd player. xD I think I still have the folder with the printouts.

This is also from when I was itty bitty. I remember going to Pizza Hut and begging my parents to give me 50 cents to play Garth Brooks on the jukebox. They had black and white checkered carpet and black chairs with red seats. I feel like I was super focused on carpets as a child. o.o;

The cruelest joke I've had the pleasure of experiencing via RP. A character named Ai died to the opening of this song. There was so much build up and It was the most heart wrenching thing I've roleplayed to this day. It was so sudden and just ahhh! Ai, I miss you. You perfect baby. Too precious for this world. RIP. T^T

These remind me of the times when I was suffering from depression. I was alone and had an extreme lack of support from those closest to me. My family didn't understand and I had no friends. These still bring tears to my eyes sometimes.

Reminds me of my first real love. I couldn't listen to it for like a year after we broke up.

Reminds me of love and grief. There are songs I still can't listen to which bring back stronger memories, but this one's pretty accurate too.

Teen angst. This song was pretty much me in high school dealing with constant emotional roller coasters and trouble at home :(

This reminds me of the summer I was introduced to Cascada and I've pretty much associated them with summer ever since ^_^ Basically being carefree and not giving any shits :D

Reminds me of my dearly departed mother :( Enough said

Whenever I feel like giving up and literally saying Fuck It All, this is pretty much the song I listen to. It still remains my favorite song from Three Days Grace to this day :)

• Love
Reactions: Vars and Greenie

This song became a lullaby my mom and Krystal would sing to me. I would close my eyes and they'd take my hand and bring it up to their chest. It makes me feel happy and peaceful. I'll likely sing it to my own children when I have them.

One word: nostalgia. Country music like this one was often played in my family and also during car rides. It takes me back with good feelings of just listening and singing in the car during long rides.

I could easily list most of Reba McEntire older songs like Fancy, Is There Life Out There, Does he Love you, What Do You Say, He Gets That From Me, The Greatest Man I Never Knew, She Thinks His Name Was John, And Still etc. It's surprising I still, after all this time, know the titles to the songs most played. Reba was my mother's favorite singer so I know most of her old music by heart.

I love all of his music. That's never happened before and has never happened since. Screamin' Jay Hawkins is my all time favorite artist. His music has a special place in my heart. They never fail to make me smile and dance. I'm sad the only song people know by him is I'll Put A Spell On You. There are so many good songs he had done.

Jeeze, I'm going down a rabbit hole. I never realized how big a part music played in my childhood. I'm finding songs I've forgotten or near-forgotten and I'm now feeling all fuzzy inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rest my Chemistry - Interpol : I had a huge crush on the dude who sent this to me. I'd never heard it before and I haven't heard it anywhere else after and it still takes me back to that "puppy eyes" feeling.

My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion
: This one is, funny enough, not at all romantic. My best buddies in high school had this almost ironic love of Celine Dion and incorporated this song into everything they could for orchestra/band (with glee because it drove the director nuts). I learned to play this song on three different instruments in different keys so we could use it in a class project to see how long until he noticed. This song makes me feel giggly and dumb and teenagery again.

• Love
Reactions: Vars and Greenie
My Give A Damn's Busted

That last time he cheated, this is where I was. Every time I hear this i am reminded that I really never found any kind of feelings again, not for him certainly, and sadly not for anyone else either.

I used to have this song on loop simply because it got me excited for no reason at all. It still does.

I had my first kiss to this song. Every time I hear it, it always gives me butterflies in my stomach.

I graduated high school 09 (or was it 10, can't remember), and the song of the summer that year was Kesha's Your Love is My Drug. Would always be playing it ridin' round town, so - trashy as the song is - it has a place in my heart.

Lifehouse's You and Me was my quintessential 'omg i'm in lurve' song.

I don't actually have any songs related to specific memories, but there are songs that install general memories, may it be of an individual, or just a big part of my childhood.
For childhood, basically stuff like the Star Wars and Halo Theme.
For individuals, one grandparent really liked that Frank Sinatra song "I did it my way".

Otherwise, cause I mainly listen to soundtracks, it's usually a case of "I remember this song with from this scene".

Status
Not open for further replies.