Music of the Night (1x1 with Kiscokids)

"He was asked, but declined. He was as in the love with the forest as I am now. He never wanted to leave. And he didn't, not before or after his final breath" he looked on his expression unreadable "we near your home, fair maiden. I am sorry for boring you with my silly tales, I hope we can talk again soon" he looked at her, a twinkle back in his eye

She nodded. "I would enjoy that," she said as they reached the crooked gate. "Thank you for your company." She lingered, her fingers on the latch.

"It has been entirely my pleasure" he smiled "I want you to have this, as a promise that I will seek you out again, Maiden at the Well" he pulls one of the squirrels away from his belt and handed it to her, along with the pail "give my best wishes to your father" he smiled at her, before turning to leave.

She looked at the squirrel in her hands, and then looked back at him. "Wait," she said. "I must thank you somehow."

"Thank me by meeting me tonight" he turned and smiled at her "The Ancient Bull Tavern in the Village, ask for Jarred Lancaster"

Olivia nodded. "I will." She turned to go inside.

A distance away a man is stood, cloaked in black, his face unseeable, a hood covering his head. Stood next to him is a smaller creature, with horns growing from his forehead and hooves for feet. He is kicking the ground, as if nervous to be around the other figure. "You have been watching her closely, faun? What did the archer boy say to her?" The dominant man spoke, his voices a hissed whisper, as if a shadow on the wind. "He told her of your pool, sire. They are meeting again tonight" this news clearly displeased the other man "stop her from getting to the village and lure her to my hill. It's time she heard the music!"

Olivia grabbed her shawl from her straw bed. "I'm going out, Papa!" she called. "Stew's on the stove." Her father was in his workshop out back, working on his carvings. She knew he'd be surprised to see meat for once, and secretly she let herself smile as she trotted toward the village where the hunter boy was waiting. She whispered his name over and over with every step. Jarred Lancaster. Jarred Lancaster.

The faun followed her every footstep, just within the line of the trees to her right so she could not see him but he could see her. Sometimes he would misplace his hooves and step on a twig or some leaves. Hooves weren't made for stealth. He didn't know what he'd do if she found him. But he did know what the Shadow would do if he failed, and in this case the unknown was a better bet.

Olivia had a strange feeling she was being followed, but she often had strange feelings. Pulling her shawl's hood over her head she sprinted through the rain that had begun to pour, away from the darkness of the forest and toward the lights of the village, the tavern in particular.

As she was running the sound of thunder emmenated through the valley, jagged lightning strikes lit up the night sky. One of these lightning strikes hit a tree further down the path. A fire burst into life, engulfing the tree as it toppled down and made the path impassable. The only way to get to the village now was to go around, through the forest.

Olivia let out an involuntary cry of alarm, jumping back from the tree. She looked around for another path and found herself surrounded by the forest. A chill ran up her soaked spine and her teeth chattered. Another hour of trying to get past this tree without using the forest would surely give her a cold. Taking a deep breath and pulling her arms around her waist she began to run toward the forest, the darkness showing nothing. Jarred Lancaster. Jarred Lancaster.

As her foot stepped into the forest a whispering sound started, the leaves seemed to move in a wind that she couldn't feel. Music started to fill the air, the song came from nowhere. The darkness closed in on her, the forest was singing with the voice, calling her towards the source of the voice.

she saw the leaves move and shivered again, taking off her hood. there was a sound that made her forget of the cold, and it was all she could do not to run toward it. surely it was coming from someone, someone who could tell her how to get back to the village. she knew not of this part of the forest, but just as she was second thinking moving through the forest the singing compelled her feet to run toward the sound. she could no longer see, tripping on roots and slipping in the mud puddles, her long, ashen blonde hair dripping with rain, tangled and full of leaves and twigs now. she let the sound guide her blindly.

It took her to a glade, a shimmering pool of water within the centre. Next to the pool knelt a robed man, a hood down , revealing his brown hair, flowing down the back of his head. It was his voice that had drawn her here, he carried on singing, unaware of her presence.

she looked at the pool. "it is real," she whispered to herself and pushed the hair out of her eyes, lingering at the edge of the pool, not knowing what to do.

"You have come to my pool" the man spoke, staring at the water, not looking at her. His voice was strong, yet beautiful "what brought you to me?"

"your song," she said quietly. "it's familiar and beautiful."

"My song speaks of the secrets of these mountains. Only those who in the deepest parts of their hearts want to know of them can hear it. You are privileged indeed. Sit with me, my dear" the man still doesn't look at her.

"i must ask for forgiveness, as i am in a hurry to get to the village. do you know the way back?" she brushed her hair from her face, wiping rain from her forehead. "perhaps another time I may come to hear you sing again."