Annabeth Fawn

"I would definitely say so," Dr Lee answered Trudy's inquiry and only put down the probe to jot down notes on her clipboard. "The baby looks very healthy as do the mother." She assured them all with a nod of her head.
"To keep it that way, you should be eating well, and exercise. We'll also need to reach of a goal of gained weight." The doctor went on about what foods to increase in Sarah's diet, what to avoid, recommending certain types of prenatal vitamins and what symptoms required immediate attention. It was a lot, but she put it simply and even handed Sarah a pregnancy journal that also held a guide in it as well. "Here is your pictures."
Dr Lee swiped the photos from the printer and handed a copy to Sarah and Joss each. Sarah stared at the photo of their baby in awe, lost for words once again. Instinctively, she squeezed her mother's hand but did not take her eyes off the little fetus that was her baby.
"What is the estimated he due date?" Robert asked. He had softened considerably since the image of his grandchild had appeared on screen.
"I'd say August fifth, but it could always be earlier or later." She informed them.

Betsey brushed back her hair and leaned over the seats to get a better look at the photo. It was hard not melt or be awed by the image. It was also strange and amazing to think that little living thing would grow into a full grown baby.

JASPER CARMICHAEL
Joss made sure to actually listen to what the doctor recommended. If he was going to be involved in the child's life, then he had to start that before they were actually born. He looked over at Sarah and felt a wave of guilt for putting her in this position in the first place. Of course, it took two to tango. But it had been her first time, he had arguably been more sober even if he had been completely fucking wasted, and, well, he should have worn a condom.​
They got the pictures and Joss stared at his for a solid minute while more conversation ensued. That was his baby there, depicted on the screen as an infant-shaped clump. At around the fifth of August, that baby would be born, and Joss and Sarah would have a little son or daughter.​
Joss felt Betsey lean over his shoulder, and he tilted his head back a little so he could press a kiss to her cheek. He loved her so much for soldiering through all this crap. God, he was so lucky to have found her.​
They left, and Trudy gave Sarah a little bit of money so she, Joss and Betsey could go and get some ice cream, contrary to what her husband seemed to want. They got the ice cream and ate it in the park, and the three of them just engaged in nice and pleasant conversation. Joss and Betsey got to know Sarah, and Sarah got to know them. It was nice, and Joss was glad that things seemed to be working out as much as possible between the them all.​

Annabeth Fawn

In all honesty, school was one of the very last things on Annabeth's mind since she had left her parents' house. It only became more distant when Sarah got pregnant and they got involved. The only reason she care anything about it was so that she could forge a future for herself and because if she had gotten excellent grades than perhaps her mother would be impressed with her. But it had become considerably better to her since she had become involved with Joss and even Sarah.
They were able to enjoy lunch break in each other's company frequently. Sarah's bump was becoming obvious and naturally the other kids talked. And as much as it bothered Betsey, leaving her slightly anxious, she didn't particularly care as long as no one approached her about it. She hated forced interactions with intimate questions asked.
Betsey meant with Joss and Sarah after leaving her last class before lunch period. But before they went off to spend lunch together, Betsey needed to retrieve her sketchbook from her locker. So, she quickly made her way there, not bothering to check if they followed.
Unfortunately, Dave Charelton was leaning against her locker. Betsey only knew him by face and name alone because he sometimes hung out with people she did know. Like Casey Baxter, his girlfriend Amy -- who owned the locker beside Betsey's -- and other people who were less obnoxious or even more so. She also knew he was a moron. And he was too busy having a jocular conversation to notice Betsey quietly and hurriedly trying to get through to her locker.
" - he sounds like a total pedo." Dave laughed along with his friend, though, Betsey hadn't the slightest clue of what they were talking about. "But you know, that's okay. Say what you want about pedophiles but at least they slow down on school zones."
"Dude, that's sick." His companion replied, making a noise between a snort and chuckle.
"Hey, I'm not the one who probably has a black and blue nine year in my trunk." And it apparently wasn't the end of the jokes he had on the subject.
Betsey wrinkled her nose and made a decision to come back for sketchbook later.

JASPER CARMICHAEL
A few weeks had passed since Sarah’s ultrasound, and she was beginning to grow and become visibly more pregnant. That was as exciting as it was scary. He had of course told Wyatt and Tessa the truth and had asked them to keep it on the down low. They had agreed, and since no one was protesting, Joss didn’t have a problem.​
Naturally, questions were being asked, and Joss and Betsey had begun to spend more time with Sarah at school and thus people had put two and two together and deduced that Joss was the father.​
As a result, rumours were running wild. But Joss didn’t care at all. He had never cared about rumours and he wasn’t going to start now.​
One thing he did care about, though, was jokes about pedophilia or rape. He had always been sensitive about them due to Stephanie, and even more so since Sarah had gotten pregnant. They were just completely and totally unacceptable in Joss’s mind, so when they approached Betsey’s locker and he heard those words come out of Dave’s mouth, he stilled, and a wave of cold washed over him.​
Sarah could sense it, so she reached out and grabbed his arm. That did help a little — if she hadn’t, he would have killed the fucker right there. But it didn’t stop him from stepping forward, sliding out of Sarah’s grip, and grab Dave by the collar of the shirt.​
He was very visibly furious, as shown by his entire body trembling like a leaf, and his knuckles turning white due to the force he was using to hold onto Dave’s shirt. “What the fuck,” Joss hissed, “did you just fucking say?

Annabeth Fawn

Betsey paused as Dave did when Joss suddenly came forward and grabbed him by the collar. It was a suprise for them both but while Betsey was more scared of what may happen next, Dave looked confused and irritated. How was he to know the horrid relations that Joss had with the subject of his "joke"? Whether he knew or not, it wasn't something to be joked about, not that he particularly cared about what was appropriate or not.
She froze in her spot, hands gripping the fabric of her skirt as she watched and prayed that the other boy didn't respond stupidly. But of course that would be asking for too much, wouldn't it?
"Chill out, man." Dave frowned, scoffing at Joss's reaction while trying to wriggle out of his grip. "It was just a joke, laugh a little. Get your boyfriend off of me."
He was without a doubt a complete moron, but Betsey never heard a better idea. It was better to pull him away before things escalated. She even hated the thought of him getting into another brawl. "Joss ... come on." She whispered to him, taking a step closer to the two and reaching out for his wrist.
"What?" He glared back at Joss, going on to mock him. "You don't have a little girl in your trunk, do you?"

JASPER CARMICHAEL

When Dave asked him that one fucking question, Joss’s brain just shut down and his primal instincts took over. He was hearing everything as if underwater — everything was muffled. Distant. Sarah was pleading with him, as was Betsey, but he didn’t know what they were saying.​
All he cared about was hurting the guy in front of him.​
He let go of his shirt, but only to pull his fist back with as much force as he could muster and drive it directly into Dave’s face. Blood sprayed all over Joss’s chest, chin and jaw, and Dave fell to the ground. Unbeknownst to Joss, his elbow had connected with Betsey’s shoulder, and he would regret that immensely later. But for now, all he could focus on was the red of Dave’s blood and trying to ensure that more came out of him.​
He picked up Dave by the shirt again and shoved him so hard into the locker opposite the hallway that the metal caved and dented. And Joss went on for a while, just delivering punch after punch after punch to Dave’s body with a sort of disconnected look in his eyes. As if his body there but his person wasn’t.​
Sarah was crying, and Dave was almost unconscious. He was a bloody mess. But Joss didn’t stop until, once again, Wyatt came and stopped him.​
“JOSS! What the fuck are you doing, you —”
“He fucking joked — about her, about it, he —” Joss was trying to twist out of Wyatt’s grasp. A teacher had come and removed Dave, but Joss was still out for blood.​
“About WHAT?
“About STEPHANIE! Joss roared. And then, in a much quieter voice, he said so only Wyatt, Sarah and Betsey could hear, “And about the fucker who raped her.
And then Joss burst into a fit of uncontrollable tears and Wyatt let him sink to the floor.​

Annabeth Fawn

Betsey's eyes watered from the pain in her shoulder, but surprisingly enough she hadn't burst into tears throughout it all. She had felt completely out of body, feeling as if it was just some nightmare and it would eventually end, as horrific as it was. And luckily it did, thanks to Wyatt's presence. It was Joss's sobs that snapped her out of her stupor and made the unshed tears in her eyes fall.
Just moments ago, she had been frightened of the scene he played the biggest role in but now he couldn't have been more vulnerable. Deep and old wounds that had never been healed had been reopened and were bleeding. "Joss, look -" Betsey had begun to cry, making the move to go to him, comfort him. He needed it.
But she had been grabbed by the elbow, to the side of the shoulder she had been hit by, and pulled back so she was standing by Sarah. Betsey winced at the pain in her shoulder and peered at the person who happened to none other than Aaron, or who should have simply been known as Mr Fitzwilliam. And he looked as if he was barely keeping a cap on his own anger, but he was much better at controlling it than Joss.
"You. Get up, we need to talk." Mr Fitzwilliam pointed to Joss and gestured for him to get up. "Come on."
Betsey, on the verge of panicking, shook her head and intervened. "It - it isn't -"
"Oh, Annie, just stop. Don't do it, don't defend him." His tone softened, but all the same vexed as he shut her down. He looked back to Joss and huffed. "I should have known you were going to pull the same stunt again, but this time it's ten times worse."

JASPER CARMICHAEL

The angry voice directed at him made Joss look up, but all anger had disappated out of him and had been replaced with potent misery. Still, Sarah, who was white with fear, came over and gently helped him to his feet. He appreciated it, and he would have to apologise to her and Betsey profusely later.​
Fitzwilliam was ripping into him but Joss hardly noticed. He had, however, noticed a certain nickname being used. “Annie? he echoed with confusion, looking between Fitzwilliam and Betsey with a bewildered expression on his bloodied face.​
Regardless, he went along willingly to Fitzwilliam’s office. He was getting suspended again and he knew it, maybe even expelled. But he would deal with that when it happened. Sarah was sobbing into his left arm but he let her hold on — he had grasped Betsey’s hand with his right one. It was his good one, since he was left handed. But the knuckles of his left were going black with bruises.​
When they arrived, Joss let go of the two girls and began to wipe the blood off his face with some tissues he grabbed off the desk. His hands were still shaking.​
“Why’d you call her Annie?” he asked Fitzwilliam. “No one calls her that.”

Annabeth Fawn

"What?" Fitzwilliam said, starting. He quickly shut the drawer from which he pulled out Joss's file and glanced at Betsey who refused to meet his gaze, or any one else's for that matter. She focused her blue eyes on her loosely tied shoe laces and tried her best not to cry, but she was startled a bit by Joss's inquiry and the horrible way Fitzwlliam responded to it. "I just do. What I mean is ... she's - we're - shit. Look, I don't don't have to answer to you, sit down. All of you."
If only he had led with that in stead. Betsey pinched her own arm and continued to look down. She never told Joss anything about Aaron Fitzwilliam. How were you even supposed to bring up your exes, especially the one that was on and off and worked as a teacher for their school. But she knew she wanted to tell him from her own mouth and not anyone else's.
"I'll just be honest here so we don't waste any times." Once they were seated, Fitzwilliam threw his file onto his desk and sat in his chair. "If it was up to me, you'd have been expelled a long time ago. Hell, you might be expelled today if that kid's parents press charges against you. You're eighteen so you won't be going back to juvie."
Betsey's stomach dropped and her mouth was dry. "W - wait." Expulsion? Charges? Jail? She shook her head. "He can't - can't we ..." Annabeth was on the verge of panicking.
"No. Excuse my language, but you're a fucking hot and hopeless mess. As a teacher I really shouldn't be saying this, but everyone knows and no one cares. Not even your own father seeing how he can't be bothered with the shit his son pulls at school every other day." He snorted, leaning back in his seat and glowering at Joss. "My main beef with you is how you drag other people into you bullshit. You fucked Sarah over by knocking her up and I'm terrified to see how you'll come to screw Anni - Annabeth over. She deserves better than this, better than you."

JASPER CARMICHAEL

Joss was bewildered. He looked from Annabeth to Fitzwilliam and back to a Annabeth again and he just couldn’t piece together what the hell was going on. He looked at Sarah, who seemed just as confused. But soon they were all seated and Fitzwilliam was ripping into him before Joss had the chance to say a thing.​
Joss listened, and as the older man's words started to register in his mind, a feeling of anger began to settle over him again. This anger was not explosive and violent like usual, though. No, it was a much more subdued feeling. It still twisted his face into a scowl and made his hand shake, but by the time the teacher finished, Joss was able to speak in a quiet and mostly calm voice as he made his rebuttal.​
"You have no idea what you're fucking talking about," Joss almost whispered. Sarah was hiding her face in his shoulder, and he was gripping Betsey's hand with his own. "First of all, I would rather slit my own wrists and drown in my own blood than ever go to jail, because if I nearly got raped in juvie then I don't even want to think of what could happen to me if I get locked up with the serious criminals."
Sarah let out a surprised and pained gasp, and looked up at Joss in shock. He rubbed her arm with his free hand and gave her a look that said, later. He was always planning on confessing these things to Sarah, but never to Fitzwilliam, obviously. But he was angry. And he wanted to show this righteous fucker how he had absolutely no right to be criticising him.​
"So, no, I will not be going to jail. But even if I did, it would be worth it. I don't particularly like jokes about pedophilia, you know, not since my sister got abducted and molested by a child murderer when she was nine years old." Sarah burst into tears and tucked herself under Joss's arm. He rubbed her shoulder and squeezed Betsey's hand tightly as he glared down Fitzwilliam.​
"So you can imagine that with a dead daughter and a dead wife, my father doesn't have all that much time for my bullshit." That was a half truth, but Joss carried on regardless. "And as for dragging people into my bullshit -- you think I don't know how toxic I am? You think I didn't try to keep Betsey away from me? She kept coming back because obviously she saw something in me I don't see in myself. And I'm taking care of her. I'm doing absolutely everything I can to take care of Betsey, and Sarah and our child too. So fuck off, you sanctimonious cunt, because you know less about me than I know about whatever the fuck is going on between you and my girlfriend."

Annabeth Fawn

Betsey held onto Joss's hand like a lifeline and in doing so, probably cutting off the circulation of blood from it too. She was both shocked and heartbroken that Joss had brought up his wounding history. More so when she knew how much pain it caused him to even think about yet alone speak about and to someone he wasn't at all close to. And frankly, she was losing it with an almost overpowering sense of dread taking over.
Nothing about this "talk" was going well. How Fitzwilliam was speaking to Joss only reminded her how her own mother spoke to her. It was clear to her that his righteous attitude was mostly a front. He did not like Jasper Carmichael, that much was obvious. But more than that, he hated seeing Annabeth with him.
"You ..." Fitzwilliam began and stopped, surprised to hear about some of the horrifying details of Joss's life. But he was giving Joss a black look once again by his last his words. "That's really ... shitty. But it doesn't give you the right batter someone's face."
He wasn't done and the panic in Betsey was beginning bubble to the surface. Her stomach began to twist in almost unbearable painful knots though it didn't hurt as much as her chest. She was losing her breath and doing everything in her power not to burst into tears. The only thing keeping her anchored in her seat -- from flipping out -- was Joss's hand in her own.
"And Betsey ... Annie," Fitwilliam voice was angry and quick as he leaned forward, keeping his glare loeveled with Joss's. He completely missed Annabeth shake her head at him, silently pleading him to stop. "She was mine before she was ever yours. And I can tell you I did a better job of taking care of her than you're doing."
These were the moments that Betsey wished her anxiety made her faint. All it did now was cause her pain, both emotionally and physcially, and burst into tears. "I'm sorry." She pulled her hand out of Joss's and covered her face. What Betsey wanted to do as run away and regain a sense of calm, though she had idea how long it would take. So, she focused on trying to level her breathing.
It was over. Joss knew and so did Sarah. And it only proceeded to make hyperventilate.
"Oh, shit." Fitzwilliam pinched the bridge of his nose and came around his desk to console her. "I didn't mean to, I - I just thought .." He glanced at Joss and Sarah and groaned.

JASPER CARMICHAEL

“...What?”
Joss looked between the shocked Fitzwilliam and the crying Betsey with a look of complete surprise on his face. He had not been expecting that at all, and quite honestly, it was too strange to accept. His sweet, lovely, innocent girlfriend had shacked up with their English teacher?​
Sarah sat up with the same utterly confused expression on her face. Neither of them were being judgemental towards Betsey. No, Joss didn’t have the heart to be mad at Betsey for this when she had already forgiven him for so much.​
But that didn’t mean he couldn’t be mad at Fitzwilliam.​
“You’re such a fucking hypocrite,” he laughed darkly. He reached over and put his arm around Betsey, pulling her close and away from Fitzwilliam. “You bang on about how fucked I am but you’re the one taking advantage of your seventeen-year-old students. You know that’s illegal, right? And you know you’ll be sent to jail in about half the time I would be for assault?”
Joss obviously didn’t know the whole story. He didn’t know that Betsey hadn’t slept with Fitzwilliam, or that they had dated before the commencement of the school year. But even if he had have known, he wouldn’t have cared.​
Joss laughed again and ran a hand through his hair. “You’re ridiculous. Now how about you leave me the fuck alone and I won’t tell the principal about this?”

Annabeth Fawn
"We didn't - we never .." Betsey started when finding a moment of clarity and regaining some composure, but ended up choking on her own tears. What was the most conventional way of explaining it? Perhaps it didn't matter, but she didn't want him thinking that she really slept with him. Mainly because her first time had been with him, not that he really knew. Obviously.
Fitzwilliam leaned back against his desk and gripped the edge of it with both of his hands. He was seething, glaring at Joss and glancing at Betsey who was doing her best to mop away the tears on her face regardless of how they continued to fall from her eyes. He crossed his arms and clenched his jaw, looking as if he had more to say.
He glared at Joss for a solid five seconds and answered him bitterly though clenched teeth. "Get out of my office."
With finally being dismissed, Betsey stood up, grabbed her bag from the back of her chair and rushed out of his office. She paced in front of the door and smacked the side of her head in the split second she waited for Joss and Sarah to exit the office. When they did come out, she halted and whispered. "I can explain."

JASPER CARMICHAEL

Joss smirked, even if he had just been kicked out, because he knew he had won. There was no way that Fitzwilliam, the only person in the entire school, would push for his expulsion now that he had this ammunition. And as for Dave's parents -- well, if what Jasper had heard was true, they were just as deadbeat as his own father. So Joss highly doubted they were going to be pressing any charges.​
"You don't need to explain anything, baby," Joss told her. He stepped close and pulled her into a tight and warm hug. He was angry at Fitzwilliam but not at her at all, because regardless of the circumstances, he considered the teacher to be the one taking advantage of a young and vulnerable student.​
"Did you really date him?" Sarah asked Betsey. She was being completely non-judgmental -- she was standing behind Betsey while rubbing her back. "That's really shitty of him, he should know he shouldn't be doing that sort of thing."
"Damn fuckin' right it's shitty. It's predatory behaviour, it's illegal."

Annabeth Fawn

Betsey would be lying if she said she hadn't been expecting judgmental looks or words. It was one of the many things she feared if her past relationship ever came out in the open. And truth be told, Betsey wouldn't have blamed either Joss or Sarah if they had. She did not feel good about it herself.
But she was being consoled after all that had transpired and she had no idea how much she needed until she had received it. "I - I didn't have sex with him, though." Betsey squeezed her eyes shut and swallowed hard. He said she didn't have to explain, but she felt they should at least know that. "I don't know, I just ... I didn't let him pass first base." Naturally, it didn't mean they hadn't been close or pushed. But she hadn't felt comfortable with it and she felt even less than uncomfortable with it now. She didn't have to say it, it was evident in her voice.
Taking a deep breath, Betsey melted into Joss's embrace. "I'm glad you know." She wasn't lying, it was surprisingly better now that at least they knew. Betsey hadn't told Lana because she knew the girl would report the teacher in a flash and then Betsey's parents would know. Her dad would murder him and her mother would murder her.

JASPER CARMICHAEL

The fact that Betsey had never slept with Fitzwilliam reduced the illegality of their activities but it didn't change the fact that Joss just considered it wrong. He didn't like thinking that a mature and responsible adult had been dating his fragile and emotionally insecure girlfriend when he should have had the sense to see how damaging it could be to her psyche. Not only that, he doubted that Fitzwilliam knew anything of what went on in the Fawn household. So even if Betsey had never told him, it meant he hadn't been taking care of her in the way that he should.​
In the way that even Joss, drug-fucked, messed-up, dangerous and toxic Joss, was able to do successfully.​
"That doesn't make it any less wrong," Joss told her in a whisper. "But I'm glad you told me." He rubbed her back and kissed her on the forehead, before pulling away and sighing. Now, off to the principal's office, where he doubted he would be expelled, but he knew he would surely face a suspension.​

Annabeth Fawn
Joss had been suspended, obviously. It was both saddening and disappointing after all that occurred, but none the less expected. Betsey couldn't help but worry about him during classes. What did he even do when he was suspended? It was hard not to think about him or almost anything else during the hour long classes. Though, besides that and feeling a new discomfort during English class, not a lot had changed.
There was truly only one bright aspect to Joss's absence at school. It made it a whole lot easier to plan his birthday party without fear of being caught or being distracted. Though, Betsey supposed it did not matter much at all because she began to avoid him anyway. Annabeth Fawn did not trust herself to keep the secret from Joss and make enough time to set up his party while spending time with him.
To hopefully divert him from her absence and keeping him from coming over to Tessa's -- where the party would be held -- Sarah played her role in distracting him with baby stuff.
So, on the day of, everything was ready. Well, almost ready, Betsey was putting the finishing touches on the ice cream cake she had made herself. All of those years working in her father's bakery truly paid off on days like these. But with the help of Tessa and Lana -- who was sent to stay with her grandparents after getting suspended herself -- they were able to put together everything with their budget.
They had food, they had drinks and they had cake. All of Joss's favorite and some of Sarah's because Betsey felt the need to express her appreciation for her too. And the decorations were relatively simple but well put together in the living room. There were black, white, silver and silver confetti balloons touching the ceiling along with black silver star garlands hanging from above. There were also same colored honeycomb balls laying around here and there because she couldn't find the time to hang them up.
"What excuse is Wyatt using to bring Joss and Sarah over?" Lana asked Betsey, leaning over the counter and watching her best friend decorating the cake while snacking in a chip.
"I don't know, I didn't ask." Betsey shrugged her shoulders as she placed the nineteen candle onto the cake and placed it in the freezer. "All done. Oh, oh, what if he doesn't like it?" Betsey fretted, biting into her lip and picking at her black polished nails. It was all simply because her anxiety got the best of her from time to time.
"He better like fucking like it after all the work and care we put into this. Short people like me and you shouldn't have to be hanging up high things. Now stop your ruining your lipstick." Lana came around the corner and brushed away the smudge of lipstick off of the corner of Betsey's mouth and fixed the rest of her outfit too.
The blonde had brushed her hair, but the waves refused to go, so she wore it long over her shoulders and wore a sheer white peter pan blouse with black polka dots and a matching black skirt and thigh high stockings. The stockings were there because it was a flare mini skirt and Betsey wasn't too shy to show off her legs.
As soon as they saw Wyatt's car headlights through the mirror, they shut off the lights and waited to surprise the birthday boy.

JASPER CARMICHAEL

Joss didn’t care about being suspended. No charges had been pressed, as he had expected, and he hated school anyway so he didn’t care at all that he had been temporarily kicked out. He was a bit worried about Betsey, what with Casey Baxter and now Fitzwilliam creating concern in his mind, but he had Wyatt and Tessa watch both her and Sarah and so he knew he didn’t have anything to worry about.​
It had been about three weeks since he had been suspended, and he was due back in a couple of days. But for the last week or so, Betsey had been avoiding him. Joss was incredibly worried about it. He feared that she was afraid of him, or that she was keeping a secret, or that something else terrible had happened. Despite Sarah, Wyatt and Tessa all assuring him that nothing was wrong, he couldn’t help himself from fretting.​
Luckily Sarah had been keeping him as distracted as possible with the use of baby paraphernalia. She had dragged him shopping numerous times for cribs, prams, clothes and toys. He found the practice relaxing, because it was easy to lose himself in adorable soft pastel things rather than worry that his girlfriend was mad at him.​
Wyatt had picked them up from the store today, Joss’s nineteenth birthday, and Joss was under the impression that they were on their way back to the Greenvale house. Joss was dressed in black skinny jeans, a grey shirt with a cloud design printed onto it and a black leather jacket. Sarah was looking lovely in a loose-fitting pastel pink T-shirt, a woollen white cardigan and white skinny jeans. Her hair had been pulled up into a curly ponytail.​
Joss noticed the strange direction and frowned. “Where are we going?”
“Tessa’s, we gotta pick up some shit for Simon.”
“Ah.” Drug deals. Of course.​
When they arrived, Wyatt got out and then insisted on them all going in for a cup of coffee. Joss wasn’t phased — maybe he could see Betsey — so he helped Sarah out of the car. That was when he noticed her little smirk. “What’s going on?”
“Nothing.”
“You’re lying.”
“Am not.”
Sarah fluttered by him before he could say anything and Joss just let it go.​
Then they went inside and into the living room, where Joss’s tired eyes widened as he was met with a chorus of, “SURPRISE!”

Annabeth Fawn

The moment Joss walked through the door and the lights switched on, Betsey was hit with pure euphoria as she sang out "surprise" with the others. It only increased when she saw the look on his face, she couldn't help but smile brilliantly, unable to stay still. "Are you surprised? Are you surprised?" She bursted, bouncing up and down, powerless to contain her own excitement.
After all the anticipation and setting up, seeing their labor come to a fruition was pure bliss. No, the look of surprise on Joss's face had left her more than satisfied. Which was essentially why she was hopping.
"Honey, I think it is safe to assume he is in fact surprised." Lana said somewhat sarcastically, but all the same affectionately as she grabbed Betsey's elbow to still the bouncing girl.
Blushing furiously, she tried to calm herself. She used her boundless energy to cross the room over to him. Betsey stood on the tip of her toes and pressed a kiss against his lips. "Happy birthday."

JASPER CARMICHAEL
Joss hadn't had a birthday party since his sister had died. Even before his mother had passed away, the Carmichael family just hadn't had it in them to throw any parties while they were so miserable. From age thirteen, Joss's birthday celebrations had consisted solely off getting off his face with his friends, and finding a pretty girl to close off the night with.​
So he hadn't been expecting a party, not at all. But that didn't mean he wasn't elated at what he saw. He smiled as he took in the decorations, the food, and most of all, his bright and happy girlfriend who was bounding on the tips of her toes with excitement over the event she had put together for him.​
When she came close, Joss wrapped his arms around her middle and returned her kiss to the lips. "Thank you, beautiful," he told her, his entire face lit up with joy. "Thank all of you, this is fuckin' amazing."
"Hey, we did, like, nothing, Betsey was the orchestrator of this whole thing," Tessa chuckled, coming over to Joss with a beer that she handed to him.​
"I thought she was mad at me."
"No, you dumbass," Sarah laughed. "She didn't think she could keep a secret so she had me distract you with baby things. And I'm pretty sure it worked."
Joss grinned, and nodded. "Oh, absolutely."